Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

Recommended Posts

His speech is really lacking for his age. I had to check to make sure they said he was turning 3 rather than 2. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Considering the belief system he grew up in and the emphasis on boys being boys and girls being girls and expectations of  what manliness is, I am encouraged by the fact that Austin enthusiastically tells his child he loves him and gives him a big kiss, all on camera.   His belief system may be very unappealing to me, but I can't hate on openly expressing love for your child.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

And he’ll never learn anything with Joy as his teacher.

And a thought that came into my mind yesterday - those kids and their children, what on earth could Henry, Spurge, Gideon, Garret and the others learn their kids? They will be homeschooled by, well, idiotis. So what will they have to transfer to the next generation.

Or worse, Rod kids - what can Nurie and her sisters teach their children?

Michelle and Jim Bob went to school, they have an idea on how learning should be. Even Ben. But from there on, does it make sense?

  • Sad 13

Share this post


Link to post

What on earth is there to catch up on?  They see each other all the time, flying back and forth. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

36 minutes ago, awaken said:

What on earth is there to catch up on?  They see each other all the time, flying back and forth. 

Carlin: awww my gawd which side is my best? Layla who? Aww right my wonderful prop is doing awkay. Mmm bye 👋 

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea what Joy and Carlin have in common that keeps them friends 

  • Like 6
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Totally said:

I have no idea what Joy and Carlin have in common that keeps them friends 

Maybe Carlin is just the sparkly version of Joy.

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

Neither one will ever challenge the other mentally.  Life is all superficial.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

If Carlin was truly a best friend she’d give Joy a mini makeover! Just picturing Joy wearing sexy lingerie made me laugh uncontrollably. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Totally said:

I have no idea what Joy and Carlin have in common that keeps them friends 

I've heard that people gravitate toward people with IQs similar to their own.  This tracks for these two.

  • Like 15
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I never understood how any of these kids could call themselves “best friends.” On 19K&C they’d often talk about the girls being best friends with some other random kid from another fundy family. Anybody I was best friends with as a kid, lived nearby or we went to the same school. The Bates live in Tennessee. How often were Joy and Carlin even in the same room? Once or twice a year? I doubt cheapskate Jim Bob was letting Joy call her. Were they emailing each other? Exchanging instant messages? I guess that would essentially make them pen pals. I had a school-assigned pen pal in middle school who lived in another country, but I wouldn’t think to call her my best friend.

Edited by charmed1
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I never understood how any of these kids could call themselves “best friends.” On 19K&C they’d often talk about the girls being best friends with some other random kid from another fundy family. Anybody I was best friends with as a kid, lived nearby or we went to the same school. The Bates live in Tennessee. How often were Joy and Carlin even in the same room? Once or twice a year? I doubt cheapskate Jim Bob was letting Joy call her. Were they emailing each other? Exchanging instant messages? I guess that would essentially make them pen pals. I had a school-assigned pen pal in middle school who lived in another country, but I wouldn’t think to call her my best friend.

Who knows when Joy was even permitted a phone. I imagine all of her emails before that were screened by Jana or maybe even Mooch (what else does she do?).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think there is a friendship of some substance there. Didn’t Carlin drop everything to come to Joy when she lost the baby?  That’s probably more than MOTY did. 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

Austin has two half siblings. His half-sister Rachel is having another baby. She has 5 kids so this is baby is number 6. It's a girl! Joy was posting the gender reveal on Instagram. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Zella said:

[I didn't realize how batshit crazy parts of my childhood were until I went to college and people were like "What the hell?!" when I'd tell them stories. Until you have someone who is outside your bubble and can "what the hell" you, you can grow up in some pretty weird shit and never question it.]

 

This!! 

I think they throw around the terms "best friend" "sweet friend" and "precious friend" interchangeably to mean "someone we know who shares our ridiculous beliefs." 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

To be fair, I think Carlin and Joy are legitimately best friends, at least now as adults. They seem to care about each other, have fun together, make time for each other, all that nice close friend stuff. They have literally everything in common, so I don't find their closeness that surprising.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I think Carlin has a better idea of what friendship is and Joy likely follows her lead. The Bates sisters seem to have actual friendships with each other. Friendships that occurred naturally and not forced pairings, made up by their mother.

Short of maybe her SsIL, Carlin is probably the closest friendship Joy will ever have - even if it is long distance.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with y'all, I think Carlin and Joy are genuinely friends, as much as they can be in this religion/cult. I do think Carlin is the lead girl in their friendship and that she uses Joy to prop herself up, whether she realizes she's doing it or not. The pics of the two of them a few weeks ago on that weird pile of stones cemented that for me. Carlin was dolled up to the nines and posing like an influencer next to poor, slobby looking Joy. There is a definite hierarchy in their friendship and I wonder what would happen if Joy suddenly became the hot one?

  • Like 13
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I agree with y'all, I think Carlin and Joy are genuinely friends, as much as they can be in this religion/cult. I do think Carlin is the lead girl in their friendship and that she uses Joy to prop herself up, whether she realizes she's doing it or not. The pics of the two of them a few weeks ago on that weird pile of stones cemented that for me. Carlin was dolled up to the nines and posing like an influencer next to poor, slobby looking Joy. There is a definite hierarchy in their friendship and I wonder what would happen if Joy suddenly became the hot one?

Judging by Joys appearance (weight, dress and general demeanor) I don’t think that would ever happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think Joy is actually way more naturally attractive than Carlin. She just is way more clueless about styling herself. 

I'm not sure she cares.

One of my closest friends is very overweight, beautiful, make-up every moment, hair always done and very stylish. I'm skinny, pretty enough, bare-faced, unruly hair, and boho-ish. I have no desire to emulate her and she has no desire to emulate me. 

Joy seems content being Joy, frump and all. 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, GeeGolly said:

I'm not sure she cares.

One of my closest friends is very overweight, beautiful, make-up every moment, hair always done and very stylish. I'm skinny, pretty enough, bare-faced, unruly hair, and boho-ish. I have no desire to emulate her and she has no desire to emulate me. 

Joy seems content being Joy, frump and all. 

Yeah she probably doesn't. TBH, I can't judge her for it--though those bangs and that dye job were tragic--because I also have never really given a shit about style or fashion. I don't wear makeup or style my hair and my wardrobe pretty much consists of funny (or weird or funny and weird) T-shirts and jeans. 

I was more objecting to the assumption from another poster that Carlin was obviously the hot one. She's the more polished-looking one, but I don't think that automatically makes her hot. Kind of like how Jessa was considered the hot one in their younger years, though I think she's the least attractive of the sisters in her age group. She's pretty enough, but she's no goddess. 

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post

I think one of the reasons Joy can give a shit about hair and makeup is because she’s gorgeous! If she were naturally fugly, she’d probably have a complex about it and put a lot more effort into her looks. Wasn’t Carlin considered the “ugly duckling”? I think she’s very pretty, too, but she might be more insecure about her looks, hence the polish. 
 

Joy is looking dowdy with her homecut hair and ratty jean skirt, but honestly, so am I. Pandemic chic, y’all.

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Zella said:

I was more objecting to the assumption from another poster that Carlin was obviously the hot one. She's the more polished-looking one, but I don't think that automatically makes her hot.

Hey, that was me! 🤣 I actually think Joy is more naturally pretty than Carlin, although Carlin is pretty, too. The thing I noticed is that Carlin seems to care much more about looking polished and trendy than Joy does and it was very obvious in that pic of the two of them together. I just don't think Joy cares as much as Carlin does about clothes and makeup and style, but I think that's always been how she is. Part of me respects that and is glad Austin doesn't try to make her doll up. The petty part of me wishes she'd do it just once because I'd love to see Carlin's reaction. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Hey, that was me! 🤣 I actually think Joy is more naturally pretty than Carlin, although Carlin is pretty, too. The thing I noticed is that Carlin seems to care much more about looking polished and trendy than Joy does and it was very obvious in that pic of the two of them together. I just don't think Joy cares as much as Carlin does about clothes and makeup and style, but I think that's always been how she is. Part of me respects that and is glad Austin doesn't try to make her doll up. The petty part of me wishes she'd do it just once because I'd love to see Carlin's reaction. 

It wasn't you I was responding to! 🙂 I agree it would be pretty funny if she showed up to see Carlin all dazzled up just once. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

When compared to her brothers, Austin probably looks pretty good. 😂

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

When compared to her brothers, Austin probably looks pretty good. 😂

There are low bars and then there's that bar.

  • Laugh 18

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

2FB97B7B-57C6-417E-8F05-E20199774A32.jpeg


 

Shilling magnetic eyelashes:

0B74E864-60C9-4DE9-8F24-F3B0E88A7698.jpeg

Oh dear. Is that much magnetic tar needed?

  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

They are also ugly. Joy is not one I would take makeup or fashion advice from. She doesn’t care about either, which means this is all for the money.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Evy is getting cuter. I can barely see the lashes with that thick black liner behind them. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

Evy is getting cuter. I can barely see the lashes with that thick black liner behind them. 

Joy's hair looks better though. 

Evy is a cutie. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

 Video of these two on vacation in Sarasota, maskLess. Indoors.

Dumb as stumps, and half is useful.

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 7
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

 Video of these two on vacation in Sarasota, maskLess. Indoors.

Dumb as stumps, and half is useful.

Ugh, I live just south of Sarasota, that is too close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, ozziemom said:

Ugh, I live just south of Sarasota, that is too close. 

Link

  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Seems like he was at UTC mall which is right off I-75 in Sarasota. Hope he enjoyed all the Florida spring break traffic, lol. Another reason we stay home.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size