Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

The bitchy part of me thinks this was intentional on Carlin's part. "Look how skinny, trendy and pretty I am compared to my dumpy friend! BFF's forever!." 

Oh, I think Carlin is just that kind of girl.  She's got a mean girl smugness to her.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

She has to be the Bates' version of the "hot girl" like Jessa was considered to be, for the Duggars.'

I thought that was Josie Bates Balka.

Edited by SMama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't think her bangs look all that bad.  Those pics are awful and staged though. Gag.

I think her bangs look ok. Maybe not a professional-looking haircut, but Joy is pretty enough to look good anyway IMHO. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

She has to be the Bates' version of the "hot girl" like Jessa was considered to be, for the Duggars.'

She may be now, but she came into her looks a little later than some of her sisters.

I think 'sweet' Erin might have been the closest thing to Jessa - seen as the pretty one, but her bitchy part was more subtle.

It seems Carlin and Josie are now the 'it' girls.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

ag1urijs3sd61.jpg?width=828&format=pjpg&

I think I can see why Joy cut the hideous bangs now, it looks like she's got a little (totally normal) post partum hair loss at her temple. I know tons of women who experienced this and it grew back in a few month. Heck, Kate Middleton had the same issue after George and Charlotte were born and also got ill-advised bangs, which she quickly grew out. I still think Joy's bangs are awful but I get why she might have done it now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 1/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, emma675 said:

Joy's bangs are just tragic. She looks like the frumpy, awkward freshman girl who Carlin, the popular senior cheerleader, is about to give a makeover to.

Ha! Like a fundy version of Clueless. Joy is Tai.

• LOL 8

On Carlin's page, there's a picture of her and her hubby standing in that same weird pile of rocks that she and Joy were standing in, so I guess that answers the question of who took the pictures...they all went out for coffee, removed their masks, and had a nice little photo shoot.  Sweet fellowshipping, I guess.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Just took a look at Carlin's IG page.  I have never seen so many beige and oatmeal filtered pictures in one place in my entire life.

I believe I just heard a chorus of "challenge accepted" emanating from the direction of several in the Bates clan.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Covidiocy aside doesn't Joy own any skirts besides that denim one she's always wearing? For someone so committed to the ultra-fundie way of dress, you'd think she'd buy a variety of cute skirts. 

She probably has several of the same skirt. 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

She probably has several of the same skirt. 😂

It's quite possibly true, and if it is... I can't say I haven't done the same thing. I work in the great outdoors (with dirt, mud, insects, sweat, thorns, etc.) and with animals, so my work clothes are just cheapie tee shirts and jeans from secondhand stores or Wal-Mart that I don't mind getting stained or torn. I see no point in spending a lot of money or time shopping for fashionable clothing since most of my time is spent at work. And if I want to buy something nice that I don't have to worry about getting mud or animal pee/shit on, I'll buy the same item in two or three colors. I don't particularly care for clothes shopping so when I find the right thing, I make it easier on myself and get multiples. Joy was a tomboy and doesn't seem as concerned about outer appearance as her older sisters, and she seems willing to literally get her hands dirty, so maybe her mindset toward clothing is similar to mine. 

• Love 12

If you read between the lines it sounds like Joy really needed a break and so she flew to visit Carlin. I think the Duggar kids who have gotten married and had kids are finding out how hard it is to raise toddlers and infants without the help of J-slaves. Many women have little kids but with the Duggars I think it's having these kids without the maturity or life skills. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19
27 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think you've got something there.  It seems like the second child has been a real turning point for several of them; Jill, Jinger and Joy.  They aren't used to being on their own with a bunch of little kids who rely on them for everything.  Back at the TTH, they all hung out as a mob most of the time; even sleeping together for the most part.  They could delegate jobs to one another and help each other out and could count on someone being available if they needed a break.  Now, when all of the responsibility is all theirs, they're finding that it is tough going.  I hope at least a couple of them are rethinking the notion that Michelle is the best mama ever now that they realize just how little she did and how much help she had.

I know this is unlikely to happen but may that reality shock result in just two more children (preferably none) for Jill, Jinger, and Joy (don’t see her slowing down). 

• Love 2

But!  Just look at how hilarious it is to stand in a pile of rocks, though!  I mean, Carlin is having the time of her life!  I need to find me an uneven pile of rocks to stand in so I can be as giddy and carefree and maskless as she is!  What FUN!

All of Carlin's pictures always look very staged, like she's posing in the Target magazine. And it's just my opinion, but I think Joy looked better as a blonde. Her skin is very pale and she doesn't wear much makeup, so the darker hair just makes her look a bit sickly in the complexion. 

As for the skirts, I thought she was the family tomboy? She should just give in and wear jeans. Jeans are totally modest.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

If you read between the lines it sounds like Joy really needed a break and so she flew to visit Carlin. I think the Duggar kids who have gotten married and had kids are finding out how hard it is to raise toddlers and infants without the help of J-slaves. Many women have little kids but with the Duggars I think it's having these kids without the maturity or life skills. 

Agreed. And in normal, healthy adults they would realize that a few children overwhelm them and stop or slow down the baby train. But Joy and Austin won't. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think you've got something there.  It seems like the second child has been a real turning point for several of them; Jill, Jinger and Joy.  They aren't used to being on their own with a bunch of little kids who rely on them for everything.  Back at the TTH, they all hung out as a mob most of the time; even sleeping together for the most part.  They could delegate jobs to one another and help each other out and could count on someone being available if they needed a break.  Now, when all of the responsibility is all theirs, they're finding that it is tough going.  I hope at least a couple of them are rethinking the notion that Michelle is the best mama ever now that they realize just how little she did and how much help she had.

I agree. The duggar buddies had to do what, get kids up and dressed, then passed off whatever school age buddy to whoever. once the TTH was built, all from jackson on down, had the giant playroom, rode bikes and scooters around the house while everyone and no one was really watching them. plus the stories of Justin getting whichever lost girl breakfast because Jessa didn't do it, theJ slaves did not care for their buddies 24/7. what a shock when you have your own kids and your "headship"  is zero help, your house is 1000sq ft and you have to feed, entertain them, get up in the night and there is no one to dump them on all day

• Love 13
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Agreed. And in normal, healthy adults they would realize that a few children overwhelm them and stop or slow down the baby train. But Joy and Austin won't. 

They'll be in good company with Joe and Kendra.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

They'll be in good company with Joe and Kendra.

I think it’s likely Kendra has the temperament and organizational skills to have a large number of children in a way that Joy does not. 

Also physically Joy may just be recovering differently from the birth of Evelyn than she did her c-section with Gideon. 

I was on a meal planning fb group once and a woman said that 12 children was much easier than 5- by the time child #12 came along the older kids were a lot more help. Joy may believe these tough years are worth it in the beginning to have more kids at the end of her reproductive life span. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think it’s likely Kendra has the temperament and organizational skills to have a large number of children in a way that Joy does not. 

Also physically Joy may just be recovering differently from the birth of Evelyn than she did her c-section with Gideon. 

I was on a meal planning fb group once and a woman said that 12 children was much easier than 5- by the time child #12 came along the older kids were a lot more help. Joy may believe these tough years are worth it in the beginning to have more kids at the end of her reproductive life span. 

I think the key difference between Joy and Kendra in regard to the impact of having many children might be more about Kendra fully believing that she's supposed to enjoy the Kool Aid, she does enjoy the Kool Aid and might not have any other interests beyond home and children as even an iota of thought in her mind.

Joy has always been drawn to what in her world are defined as men's interests.   By all appearances she adores her children and has made a credible run at taking care of her home and family in a way that I might not have expected.  If you would have showed me both Joy's home and Jessa's home five years ago and asked me to identify which was which, I would have been wrong based on the slovenly state of Jessa's.   Joy was very interested in joining Austin on his jobsites, even after Gideon's birth.  Now that Gideon is independently mobile and there's another little one as well I don't think that's within her grasp much anymore. 

I don't know if or when it has or will ever occur to Kendra to yearn for anything beyond home and family.   I don't see Joy's yearning not to be cooped up at home taking care of a house to suddenly change.   I would not be surprised to see Joy become weighed down with dissatisfaction as the years go by and Austin's off doing things Joy wishes she could.     

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Now that Gideon is independently mobile and there's another little one as well I don't think that's within her grasp much anymore. 

I don't know if or when it has or will ever occur to Kendra to yearn for anything beyond home and family.   I don't see Joy's yearning not to be cooped up at home taking care of a house to suddenly change.   I would not be surprised to see Joy become weighed down with dissatisfaction as the years go by and Austin's off doing things Joy wishes she could.     

I could see this happening. Unless Joy gets some childcare help a few years down the line she won’t be able to manage remodel projects with Austin- with a small child, a toddler and a nursing newborn in tow. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I think the key difference between Joy and Kendra in regard to the impact of having many children might be more about Kendra fully believing that she's supposed to enjoy the Kool Aid, she does enjoy the Kool Aid and might not have any other interests beyond home and children as even an iota of thought in her mind.

Joy has always been drawn to what in her world are defined as men's interests.   By all appearances she adores her children and has made a credible run at taking care of her home and family in a way that I might not have expected.  If you would have showed me both Joy's home and Jessa's home five years ago and asked me to identify which was which, I would have been wrong based on the slovenly state of Jessa's.   Joy was very interested in joining Austin on his jobsites, even after Gideon's birth.  Now that Gideon is independently mobile and there's another little one as well I don't think that's within her grasp much anymore. 

I think Kendra might also be one of those women that takes to home-making really well. Some women ARE naturals at it. They're great cooks, great decorators, great moms, and they approach the job with so much efficiency. I think you're onto something in that Joy's trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. She feels like she SHOULD be enjoying popping out kids and staying at home. And if she's having a bad day, it's nothing some prayer can't fix.

I also think that Joy and Austin are too inert and don't have the self-awareness to realize that maybe a small family is enough.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Kellyee said:

As for the skirts, I thought she was the family tomboy? She should just give in and wear jeans. Jeans are totally modest.

I think I remember once she said Austin preferred her in skirts so... skirts it is.

Well, we have that.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Why are they standing on that pile of uneven rocks when there's perfectly nice, flat cement all around them? 

Looks like there are some flat pavers in the middle where they are standing. Not worthy of all that (fake) laughing.

That pic of Joy is so bad... looks like Temple Grandin having a day out with her (heavily curated) fashionista sister.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 1/28/2021 at 2:36 AM, laurakaye said:

Just took a look at Carlin's IG page.  I have never seen so many beige and oatmeal filtered pictures in one place in my entire life.

I cannot wait for thos oatmeal phase to end 

Edited by Totally
  • Love 11

Carlin looks like Stacy London and Joy looks like her fixer upper in What Not to Wear. 

I think I remember once she said Austin preferred her in skirts so... skirts it is.

I'm guessing he didn't mean the same skirt every day. Joy is short and that skirt is not flattering on her. And she really is a pretty girl. With a few small changes, she would look better than Carlin.

• Love 10