Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

11 hours ago, Temperance said:

I worry about Josie, since she seems so fragile.  I don't want anyone to die and I hope the kids don't get too sick. 

I'm just curious.  I know Josie was a preemie, and had issues the first few years, but does she have any health conditions now?  

• Useful 1

I watched the video. Tbh what they said doesn't sound so different from what I've heard young people all over the country say. Which is to say it sounds really dumb but also typical of 22 year olds who probably at most get the cold once a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bewitched said:

As a minister's wife and an ICU nurse, I want to smack her.  But mostly want to smack the ministers who keep encouraging gatherings.  I am exhausted and not very nice right now.  Stay home people!

You are a hero. Thank you!

• Like 20

40 minutes ago, LynneH said:

I'm just curious.  I know Josie was a preemie, and had issues the first few years, but does she have any health conditions now?  

There is research and evidence to show that the consequences of being born premature can be long term. There can be health effects lasting into adulthood. The risks seem to increase the more premature a baby is. Josie was born around 25 weeks. 

For a long time, the Duggars downplayed any longterm effects of her being born a preemie. Then in 2015, TLC aired an episode in which Josie had seizure. JB and Michelle were away. They said this had happened before. Jana and the boys were handling it along with Grandma Mary and even to some extent the TLC crew. There have been no updates about this condition which causes seizures, but Josie would have been around 4/5 when this happened. 

It is not clear that Josie has any serious issues. Fortunately she's ten and seems healthy. However if she were my child, I would be more concerned given the unusual circumstances surrounding her birth and the fact that prematurity can cause issues into adulthood. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

31 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I watched the video. Tbh what they said doesn't sound so different from what I've heard young people all over the country say. Which is to say it sounds really dumb but also typical of 22 year olds who probably at most get the cold once a year.

Yes, but most aren’t pregnant with a very young child at home.

• Like 13

Yesterday, a one day old premature baby died from complications due to COVID-19 here in Baton Rouge. The mother tested positive and delivered at 22 weeks. It’s not known if the death was due to transmitting the virus (no evidence it crosses placenta, I think), or because she was early. In either case my heart goes out to the family.

This is why Joy and Austin need to sit their silly asses still!

• Like 2
  • Sad 28

23 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yesterday, a one day old premature baby died from complications due to COVID-19 here in Baton Rouge. The mother tested positive and delivered at 22 weeks. It’s not known if the death was due to transmitting the virus (no evidence it crosses placenta, I think), or because she was early. In either case my heart goes out to the family.

While young man aren’t dying at the rate of the elderly, some ARE dying and they don’t know exactly why. Just don’t chance it! Especially when you’re pregnant and already have a toddler at home.

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So sad.  22 weeks is really early and the chances of survival probably weren't great to begin with and then add in the COVID-19.  

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I heard about that. I used to live in New Orleans and still receive nola.com. I heard the preemie tested negative for COVID-19.

I mean, some of the stuff that they joke about re: the virus are the types of things I probably would have said at their age, but that would have been just talk and I would have been taking precautions behind the scenes, especially if I were pregnant and had a toddler.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I heard about that. I used to live in New Orleans and still receive nola.com. I heard the preemie tested negative for COVID-19.

I mean, some of the stuff that they joke about re: the virus are the types of things I probably would have said at their age, but that would have been just talk and I would have been taking precautions behind the scenes, especially if I were pregnant and had a toddler.

It's called growing up. Other than Austin's house flipping, it seems like these two are still playing house.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Many babies born at 22 weeks aren't even resuscitated because they are too early and often too small to be intubated with even the tiniest instruments.  Of those who are resuscitated, only about a third survive and the rate of cerebral palsy, deafness, blindness and other sequelae is high.

That being said, it appears that having COVID 19 can trigger preterm labor in the mother, so it's quite possible that, if the mom didn't have COVID, labor wouldn't have started and the baby wouldn't have been so premature.

My sister had HELLP syndrome with her only pregnancy leading to her having her twin girls at 23 weeks 4 days.  A was 15 oz. and E was 10 oz.  E passed 5 days later.  A was in the hospital for 9 months and had a trach and on a vent. until she was 3.

She will be 8 next week.  She's autistic and still has a g tube.  She is a complete joy.

• Like 24

I don't imagine Joy and Austin could deal with a trached and ventilated infant/child. Do they even have insurance? Granted a long term preemie would get MA but after? That would be a tragedy in the making that Jesus couldn't heal. 

• Like 5

On 4/6/2020 at 6:33 PM, Sew Sumi said:

It's called growing up. Other than Austin's house flipping, it seems like these two are still playing house.

Joy better hope for a bunch of girls to follow if they are "leaving it up to God". Hannie, Jenni, and Jordyn are going to be married off in the not too distant future to start quivers of their own so they won't be shipped off in time to be Aunt-Moms when Joy inevitably has her laundry room breakdown.

Josie would never be allowed to do hard work like that. Or be married off like a brood mare either!

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

19 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

House tour:

It was nice...the only thing I thought was weird was the first guest bathroom that didn't have a sink in it (maybe no room?)

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Joy said in her stories that Jana, Jessa, and the bros finished up her place. They painted, furnished, and decorated. Joy said she has zero talent for any of those things.

• Useful 3

Did Austin say bedroom suit, rather than suite, when speaking of his childhood dresser and nightstands?

And ya @ChiCricket, no sink in the guest bathroom. I guess it really doesn't matter, Giddy didn't use soap when he washed his hands.

And the extra shoes in the living room? They live on one floor. I get the everyday shoes being in the main living area, but not the other ones.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1

I like the living and dining area, but that collection of shoes behind the couch would drive me crazy. If they're not something you wear on the regular, stash them in the closet. 

23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Did Austin say bedroom suit, 

I wonder if that's a regionalism? Back in college, I dated a guy from the South and that's what he called bedroom furniture as well. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

54 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And ya @ChiCricket, no sink in the guest bathroom. I guess it really doesn't matter, Giddy didn't use soap when he washed his hands.

It's not like he needed to wash his hands, he was just playing with water. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I was hoping there was a sink behind the door. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if that's a regionalism? Back in college, I dated a guy from the South and that's what he called bedroom furniture as well. 

Yeah, it's a regionalism. Used some places in the midwest, as well. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

House tour:

Why in the world wouldn’t they have put that nice fireplace in the living area?  Why in the world wouldn’t they have put a sink in the guest bathroom?  Why in the world would you put all of your shoes in the living room?  I’m so confused. 🤔

• Like 9
  • Laugh 3

30 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Why in the world wouldn’t they have put that nice fireplace in the living area?  Why in the world wouldn’t they have put a sink in the guest bathroom?  Why in the world would you put all of your shoes in the living room?  I’m so confused. 🤔

Actually, I think they're the ones who are confused. 😁

• Like 2
  • Laugh 15

So many nice hard, sharp wooden corners for that bouncy little boy to impale himself on.   But hey, as long as they have enough space for multiple shoe shelves sprinkled throughout the house, what's a little safety matter regarding a kid's bed posts and a living room coffee table?  Idiots. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

It was nice...the only thing I thought was weird was the first guest bathroom that didn't have a sink in it (maybe no room?)

5 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Someone asked about the sink in the guest bathroom in the Comments Section on You Tube & Joy answered there IS a sink.

BTW someone also asked where the new baby will go & Joy said it will stay with her & Austin at first and then move in with Gideon. 

I think they changed rooms around. Their living room has two outside doors, one by the dining table & another one on the side by one of the shoe collections. I'm thinking the one on the side could have been an original kitchen door by the style.

I think the guest room was the original living room because of the fireplace.  That room also had an outside door which was probably the original front door.  Maybe the bath in that room (the one Joy said they are using til theirs get done) was a coat closet & they enlarged it to make it into a bath.  One of the commentors asked why they didn't make the fireplace room the master bedroom but Joy didn't  answer.

Edited by Barb23
  • Like 6
  • Useful 6

5 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Someone asked about the sink in the guest bathroom in the Comments Section on You Tube & Joy answered there IS a sink.

BTW someone also asked where the new baby will go & Joy said it will stay with her & Austin at first and then move in with Gideon. 

I think they changed rooms around. Their living room has two outside doors, one by the dining table & another one on the side by one of the shoe collections. I'm thinking the one on the side could have been an original kitchen door by the style.

I think the guest room was the original living room because of the fireplace.  That room also had an outside door which was probably the original front door.  Maybe the bath in that room (the one Joy said they are using til theirs get done) was a coat closet & they enlarged it to make it into a bath.  One of the commentors asked why they didn't make the fireplace room the master bedroom but Joy didn't  answer.

I agree they repurposed their rooms. What confuses me is the front door/back door. Joy clearly called one of the doors in the living room, the front door. Does anyone know if they live on a typical street? Or some random lot that doesn't actually face a street?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I like the living and dining area, but that collection of shoes behind the couch would drive me crazy. If they're not something you wear on the regular, stash them in the closet. 

I'm from the south and have two masters degrees and I say bedroom suit. Definitely a regional thing,  y'all. 

• Like 19

I watched the video without sound (too lazy to put on my headphones and didn't want to disturb Mr. BetyBee) and came away with two impressions. 1. Gideon is adorable! 2. Austin looked so weird for the longest time, staring up at the camera, I guess, but saying nothing. 

The house looks okay. I think the shoes by the door indicates that they don't wear them in the house. I have no problem with that!  They seem happy.

• Like 4

I thought it looked nice and tidy and fairly uncluttered.  I hate that fundies all abhor artwork on their walls.  Wedding and pregnant photos only!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, SoupyShoes said:

I'm from the south and have two masters degrees and I say bedroom suit. Definitely a regional thing,  y'all. 

Yeah, I'm from the South and have a master's degree in English and call it a bedroom suit. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call it a suite and would be weirded out if they did. LOL

• Like 8
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, louannems said:

I thought it looked nice and tidy and fairly uncluttered.  I hate that fundies all abhor artwork on their walls.  Wedding and pregnant photos only!

Don't forget the signs that say "Gather" ,"Blessed" and so on... 😉

When I lived in the Allentown, PA area, my neighbor called it a bedroom "suit" too.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 8

In my area suit and suite mean two (or more) different things. I have never heard anyone call a grouping of anything a suit before.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In my area suit and suite mean two (or more) different things. I have never heard anyone call a grouping of anything a suit before.

How about a suit of cards? I've always wondered if that might be where it comes from....

• Like 6

5 hours ago, louannems said:

i don't know that this is specific to fundies. when my daughter was house hunting a few years back every single house had giant photos of their wedding, the pregnancy bump pics, the skin to skin newborn and mom pics, etc. also had the large letters in every nursery spelling out the kid's name.

we still laugh about seeing birth announcement cards on refrigerators in houses with same pics we had seen in someone else's house we looked at.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Laugh 8

53 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

How about a suit of cards? I've always wondered if that might be where it comes from....

Isn't it a deck of cards? Cards with different suits.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Isn't it a deck of cards? Cards with different suits.

Yes, but there are four suits of cards in a deck......Often that's just said as "four suits," I suppose. But "suits of cards" and "suit of cards" have been used for a long time. I've seen it as a crossword puzzle clue, as well as in other places. 

Since that means all the cards that go together to make up a full specific group of the cards, like the hearts, it seems analogous enough to me for people to borrow it to refer to a specific group of furniture.

Just like the suit we call hearts matches and functions together, so do the pieces of furniture in your dining room suit match and work together. And the dining room suit is one cohesive part of the furniture in your house just like hearts is one cohesive suit in a deck of cards. 

..... That may not be how the usage developed, but I think that gets at the meaning, doesn't it? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 6

Suit of cards connects the two, but no one that I know uses the word suit when referring to a group of furniture or rooms.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It definitely is, I've heard it used by different people here in Ohio, including a friend whose family owned a furniture store and they referred to dining suits, bedroom suits and living room suits.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I see the term suite as a group of items related by proximity.  In a hotel suite, the bedroom, bathroom, living room and closet for example, make up the suite.  Each has a separate function, but are physically connected.  You can't separate a suite. 

A suit seems to be a group related by common attributes, like color or material,  A bedroom suit, for example.  You can separate the components, maybe by putting them in different rooms, but they still are a related group. 

Beats me what's correct, I'm a southerner that's always bought "suits" and stayed in "suites".   *LOL*

Edited by leighdear
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, leighdear said:

I see the term suite as a group of items related by proximity.  In a hotel suite, the bedroom, bathroom, living room and closet for example, make up the suite.  Each has a separate function, but are physically connected.

A suit seems to be a group related by common attributes, liker color or material,  A bedroom suit, for example.  You can separate the components, maybe by putting them in different rooms, but they still are a related group. 

Beats me, I'm a southerner that's always bought "suits" and stayed in "suites". 

I'm a northerner that's always bought "suits" and stayed in "suites". 

• Like 8
  • Laugh 3

41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Suit of cards connects the two, but no one that I know uses the word suit when referring to a group of furniture or rooms.

It's very regional.

I never heard "suite of furniture" until I left my home and moved to another state. 

They're two slightly different words that, in the case of furniture, are used to mean the exact same thing by people in different regions. It's no different from "lightning bug" vs. "firefly," as far as I can tell. Or "hoagie," "submarine," etc. And many many many more regional words.

A suit of cards -- a dining room suit

The Nutcracker Suite -- a dining room suite.

How could you possible decide whether one of these is somehow a "correct" word usage while the other is a wrong one? In both cases, the usage is in some ways analogous to other usages of the same word and in some ways not.  

It's two slightly different words that evolved to mean the same thing in different localities. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

That's because you live in a region that uses the other word! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

All of the curtains etc aren’t heavy enough, there’s way too much light coming through them. Everything else is blah. If they changed the shower to a stall shower, they could have fit in a bathroom vanity, but they didn’t, so the guest bathroom remains gross. Room for another pair of washer and dryers? Why?

Edited by kokapetl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's very regional.

I never heard "suite of furniture" until I left my home and moved to another state. 

They're two slightly different words that, in the case of furniture, are used to mean the exact same thing by people in different regions. It's no different from "lightning bug" vs. "firefly," as far as I can tell. Or "hoagie," "submarine," etc. And many many many more regional words.

A suit of cards -- a dining room suit

The Nutcracker Suite -- a dining room suite.

How could you possible decide whether one of these is somehow a "correct" word usage while the other is a wrong one? In both cases, the usage is in some ways analogous to other usages of the same word and in some ways not.  

It's two slightly different words that evolved to mean the same thing in different localities. 

Yup...I think it's the similar spelling and semi-connected definition which throws everyone off. It's kind of like Jill R with her "in suite  (or was it "on suite"?) bathroom". Though, in that case, I think it's less a regionalism, since it's pronounced basically the same, and just a lack of spelling skills. Sometimes we just look for things to snark on with these people, and once in a while, it turns out that they don't really deserve it...but then again, in most cases, it turns out that they actually do.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

It's very regional.

It is! I'm here shaking my head in confusion because around here it is neither a suit nor a suite but a set. As in "I don't know how I feel about buying the new living room set on-line". 

• Like 9
  • Laugh 2