Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Super Special Legalistic Fundie and Atrocious? 

Nailed it!

ETA: I feel like this could be a future thread title.  It would have been perfect for Jill and Deertick, but they already have an awesome one. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Did we know Austin was a pilot or is this a new piece of information?

Not new information. I think it was first mentioned during the courting episodes.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I believe Joy said she would wear dresses because Austin likes them.  

That doesn't say a thing about whether or not the dresses need to be modest, or how he feels about shoulders.  Maybe he just thinks they're more feminine, likes the flow, thinks Joy has good legs, etc.  

I like the picture of Gideon on the horsey.  He looks deep in thought considering something; and also like he'd be doing that deep raspy breathing toddlers do, when they think it would be helpful. 

I also dig the joyful hollering kid in the pontoon (?) boat.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I believe Joy said she would wear dresses because Austin likes them.  

Which is fine until she's wearing a dress while swimming or raking gravel at the worksite. Then it's a matter of control and obedience to her headship, not a matter of looking pleasing to her husband.   

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

Love these!  I'm a sucker for little kids in cowboy boots.  My late nephew wore his everywhere. I hope Gideon didn't get more than a sip or two of soda.  That stuff is full of sugar and terrible for kids' teeth.

• Love 11

I don't think he is actually drinking it. My 18month old loves carrying bottles around and puts them in her mouth just like that, but they are closed.

That's what I first thought of when I saw this picture

Edited by Snow Fairy
Spelling
  • Love 11

Those boots have turned up toes on them because they are old and have been worn by someone else. These clearly are thrift store shoes and should have been thrown out. When I was a child, we went to actual shoe stores where the clerks were the owners and knew about feet and shoes. The guy in the store told my mother that shoes like these should have been thrown out because they do no more good for the feet. I'm sorry for Gideon, wearing someone else's old worn out shoes. Children need NEW shoes that fit CORRECTLY for THEIR feet.

• Love 16

Oh my, Joy and shoes. There was an episode when Joy was young where she proudly showed Michelle a pair of shoes, maybe even cowboy boots, that she had colored in with a sharpie and taped up. I think asshole Michelle embarrassingly rolled her eyes.

And then there's that episode where her with her dirty bare feet and Austin looked through baskets of dirty shoes to find her a match to the one she was wearing.

Now poor Giddy is wearing old stiff shoes that look 3 sizes too big.

She might figure out the whole shoe thing one day. 😁 👞

• Love 8

I'm hoping they were Austin's when he was little & Giddy's  just wearing them for pictures.  But  knowing how this clan loves thrift shops, I'm leaning towards they are stranger's  retreads. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I'm hoping they were Austin's when he was little & Giddy's  just wearing them for pictures.  But  knowing how this clan loves thrift shops, I'm leaning towards they are stranger's  retreads. 

That's what I was thinking too.  We have a pair that were my husband's when he was a toddler.  All of our grandkids have worn them at least once for pics....except for the twins, who are too small.  The toes don't curl up though. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

That's what I was thinking too.  We have a pair that were my husband's when he was a toddler.  All of our grandkids have worn them at least once for pics....except for the twins, who are too small.  The toes don't curl up though. 

The turned up toes make me think they're probably thrift store finds, too.  After my nephew died, my sister put his favorite cowboy boots in her closet along with her shoes.  Several years later, after my next nephew came along, he was playing in her closet while she was getting ready for work.  He was about 3, and, next thing she knew, he was clomping out of the closet wearing the cowboy boots which were a couple of sizes too big.  Even though they were big, the toes were normal.  I think the toes turn up from storing the shoes without filling the toes with old socks or newspapers and I would hope that Austin's mom would've taken better care of them than that if she meant to hand them down.

Eventually, my nephew got big enough that the boots fit him and he wore the boots from the brother he never met until they fell apart.

• Love 15

The two brothers to Joy's right (Jer and James?) and the brother on her left (Justin?) are the best looking Duggar males. The two further left are already suffering from post-teenage Duggar aging. Jed looks like a taller Josh and the other one (Jason?) is already balding and looking grungy. 

9 minutes ago, skatelady said:

House? Those windows don't look like "house" windows. And isn't that a triple-A sticker on the window behind his head?

I think it's a known fact that they live in a trailer right? I took it to mean home=house. I'm pretty sure they would call any abode a house, even a condo or apartment. 

• Love 13

Jackson is considered a Howler, but he’s really what I consider to be the “third group” of kids (born on camera). The Duggar kids were raised basically in three groups:

1st Group: Josh-Jinger, these people were actually raised by JB and Michelle (as in their parents were their primary caregivers) and have very strong memories of life pre-TLC and pre-comfortable living. 

2nd Group: Joseph-Justin, were the first to be cared for by “buddies” have it the hardest in some ways. Their early years were spent in poverty (although the parents weren’t poor!!) and a very crowded living arrangement, without the benefit of having the decent amount of attention the older kids got. Michelle had her first breakdown when Joseph was an infant.

3rd Group: Jackson- Josie, were all born on camera (besides Jennifer), entire lives have been spent on television, had buddies that were older teens. 

Thats why the older boys don’t socialize with Jackson much, he’s spent much more time hanging with Johannah and Jennifer than he has James or Justin. Just like Joe spent more time with Josiah and Joy than he ever did with Jessa/Jinger on a social level. 

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I do think that Joseph has a close bond with J.D. He's kind of straddling the fence between the first and second group.  Other than that I think @Scarlett45's assessment is spot on.

JD was Joseph’s buddy. 😁 I’m sure he really looked up to him like any little brother would, and JD took his buddy duties seriously. 

Even before I knew about the molestations I could tell that the other kids did NOT like Josh much, I assumed it was just because he was a major asshole (in a normal way). 

• Love 18
On 8/11/2019 at 6:40 AM, floridamom said:

Those boots have turned up toes on them because they are old and have been worn by someone else. These clearly are thrift store shoes and should have been thrown out. When I was a child, we went to actual shoe stores where the clerks were the owners and knew about feet and shoes. The guy in the store told my mother that shoes like these should have been thrown out because they do no more good for the feet. I'm sorry for Gideon, wearing someone else's old worn out shoes. Children need NEW shoes that fit CORRECTLY for THEIR feet.

Funny how people have worn hand-me-down shoes for generations without their feet falling off.

We don't know for sure that those boots came from a thrift store, anyway. 

• Love 23
33 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Funny how people have worn hand-me-down shoes for generations without their feet falling off.

We don't know for sure that those boots came from a thrift store, anyway. 

Thanks for posting this.  I live in a fairly affluent area, and my mom friends and I frequently share our kids' used shoes because they wear them for like 3 months and then grow out of them.  The ones that get completely ruined we throw out, but I've received plenty of used shoes that are almost like new.

I can't snark on anyone for putting their kids in used clothing or shoes if they fit and are clean.  Kids grow like weeds.  Save some money!

• Love 21
26 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

Thanks for posting this.  I live in a fairly affluent area, and my mom friends and I frequently share our kids' used shoes because they wear them for like 3 months and then grow out of them.  The ones that get completely ruined we throw out, but I've received plenty of used shoes that are almost like new.

I can't snark on anyone for putting their kids in used clothing or shoes if they fit and are clean.  Kids grow like weeds.  Save some money!

Used football and soccer cleats are always in demand!  I thought the picture was cute.

• Love 9

Sharing barely worn shoes from someone you know is far different to me than thrift store shoes. And kids shouldn't actually wear someone else's well-worn shoes because we all walk differently.

Whether Giddy's boots were Austin's or from a thrift store, they didn't fit him properly. If he was just wearing them for 'play' then no big deal. But I wouldn't put my newly walking toddler in them for any length of time.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Tasya said:

hink it's a known fact that they live in a trailer right? I took it to mean home=house. I'm pretty sure they would call any abode a house, even a condo or apartment

Yep, my house is a condo. (Or a townhouse? I'm not sure what the difference is. I share walls with neighbors, have two stories and a basement, and pay the association fees for utilities and outside maintenance.) But I still call it my house because that's where I live. 

I'm just impressed Joy has carved out some of their limited space for Gideon that can be just his. 

• Love 22
46 minutes ago, McManda said:

Yep, my house is a condo. (Or a townhouse? I'm not sure what the difference is. I share walls with neighbors, have two stories and a basement, and pay the association fees for utilities and outside maintenance.) But I still call it my house because that's where I live. 

I'm just impressed Joy has carved out some of their limited space for Gideon that can be just his. 

Joy's a better mother than her real mother, Jill, just by doing this.  Giddyup looks happy and well cared for.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

JD was Joseph’s buddy. 😁 I’m sure he really looked up to him like any little brother would, and JD took his buddy duties seriously. 

Even before I knew about the molestations I could tell that the other kids did NOT like Josh much, I assumed it was just because he was a major asshole (in a normal way). 

I think it was partly that. I'm pretty sure he was a jerk in more ways than the molestations...and that in fact the molesting and the general jerkiness came from the same root.

As the damn first-born son in a Gothard house, he was the leader to whom all the other kids were supposed to bow down. That's big fuckhead Gothard's clear "teaching." And JB and M went right along with it, seems to me.

And my guess is that Josh unfortunately was born with a personality that, for whatever reasons, led him to capitalize on that big time, exerting his will and power in the household and becoming early on an arrogant piss-ant in every way. I expect he lorded it over the other kids something fierce. 

To some degree I'd guess the molestation was just another manifestation of that whole dynamic -- it was his right to push everybody around and get what he wanted as the fabulous first born. And one of the things he eventually wanted was some sexual exploration. So, hey, it's my right, along with all the other stuff that's my right. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Joy's a better mother than her real mother, Jill, just by doing this.  Giddyup looks happy and well cared for.

Though he is the first and only right now. Will things change when she hits double digits? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Though he is the first and only right now. Will things change when she hits double digits? 

I hope not.  Joy seems to spend less time posting than sister mom Jill, and to me that's a plus.  Jill uses her kids as props for the camera more than the others, save JinJer, maybe.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Bold prediction. I don't think Austin and Joy are going to hit the double digits now.

I'm ready to come back in 15 years and eat my words though.

• Love 10