Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

Recommended Posts

There won't be a long courtship. It will be done and dusted in 3 months and then we'll be on "womb watch" for the first blessing. 

Poor Joy and Austin will be led like lambs to slaughter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ariel said:

 "The camp" will get lots of free advertising.

I've said a thousand times that this pairing is totally quid pro quo. It's a pity that anyone who gets to meet JoyJoy in person will realize within five seconds that she's a stone cold idiot. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I'll say it again. Joy is the first in a long line of younger Duggar siblings to be worse off than their older siblings because their so-called education has been even more stunted.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, maraleia said:

I'll say it again. Joy is the first in a long line of younger Duggar siblings to be worse off than their older siblings because their so-called education has been even more stunted.

Maybe. But at least her husband-to-be HAS a legitimate job, unless Jessa's or Jill's. Jeremy still TBD.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

He's the heir apparent of their family business, but he's still responsible to make sure the business stays viable. Maybe Joy will find her purpose and surprise us all. That would be a miracle indeed, considering she was kidult educated.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, maraleia said:

I'll say it again. Joy is the first in a long line of younger Duggar siblings to be worse off than their older siblings because their so-called education has been even more stunted.

I agree. The J'Slaves strike me as at least being competent enough to do retail jobs, basic office work, waitressing, reception, etc. Joy is just....there. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. The J'Slaves strike me as at least being competent enough to do retail jobs, basic office work, waitressing, reception, etc. Joy is just....there. 

I agree. If they weren't Duggars, that's exactly what they'd be doing.

Working, earning their own money, learning to be independent rather than codependent, making new friends, building relationships with coworkers and customers, you know, Just People Things...instead of Just Duggar Things 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I agree. If they weren't Duggars, that's exactly what they'd be doing.

Working, earning their own money, learning to be independent rather than codependent, making new friends, building relationships with coworkers and customers, you know, Just People Things...instead of Just Duggar Things 

Yep. Great job there, J'Chelle and Boob.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Given their lack of sex education, even after marriage, this is entirely possible.  These ninny muggins aren't even possessed of the most basic knowledge. You just have to keep peeing on pregnancy test sticks...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm wondering how the general viewing public will respond to Joy's courtship/engagement.  She is so young and I think this could be the wake up call for the non fundies to really see what is going on with the daughters being pushed into relationships for ratings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, kaleidoscope said:

I'm wondering how the general viewing public will respond to Joy's courtship/engagement.  She is so young and I think this could be the wake up call for the non fundies to really see what is going on with the daughters being pushed into relationships for ratings.

At least we can be thankful they aren't allowed to wed until they finish their SOTDRT edumakayshun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

I'm wondering how the general viewing public will respond to Joy's courtship/engagement.  She is so young and I think this could be the wake up call for the non fundies to really see what is going on with the daughters being pushed into relationships for ratings.

Joy is legal age, so I don't expect much indignation. There are shows out there for teen marriage or teen wedding or something. I don't think the kids are fundies in those shows, but I'm not sure.

Joy does have the option to say no, but she doesn't like math and it's either marry this guy or upgrade her highschool and become an engineer sooo you know...

Edited by sometimesy
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. The J'Slaves strike me as at least being competent enough to do retail jobs, basic office work, waitressing, reception, etc. Joy is just....there. 

I think Joy could wait tables or retail jobs. She is smiley and pleasant.   Most young people rely completely on the register to do all the math. I don't know about the office work, but she could  even be a receptionist, depending on the venue.  I think she'd be as competent as most if not all of her sisters.  Like Jessa, I think some of her ignorance is studied, like she knows there's no benefit to trying to learn.  

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think Joy could wait tables or retail jobs. She is smiley and pleasant.   Most young people rely completely on the register to do all the math. I don't know about the office work, but she could  even be a receptionist, depending on the venue.  I think she'd be as competent as most if not all of her sisters.  Like Jessa, I think some of her ignorance is studied, like she knows there's no benefit to trying to learn.  

I think this might be difficult for her.  She may be smiley but one must be good at communication to work with the public.  With her lack of education and the type of biz she is marrying into, I am thinking dishwasher or maid far away from anyone who may want an answer to a question.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2017 at 7:16 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

At least we can be thankful they aren't allowed to wed until they finish their SOTDRT edumakayshun.

Who knows if they really gradulate if a perfect suiter came along all they would do is hit print. And instant deeploomea.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, Kokapetl said:

Honestly, this story sounds like it could happen to Joy

x3wc8.jpg

That's actually heartbreaking. Wow. An astounding number of people don't know the difference between the urethra and vagina, or the clitoris for that matter. I remember it being an eye-opening experience when I examined myself with a mirror, but something tells me the Duggars do not encourage such behavior. After all, to quote them from their book, "We believe touching one's genitals for pleasure is wrong." Mirror exploration could indeed lead to such horrific evil.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:26 PM, kaleidoscope said:

I'm wondering how the general viewing public will respond to Joy's courtship/engagement.  She is so young and I think this could be the wake up call for the non fundies to really see what is going on with the daughters being pushed into relationships for ratings.

I don't think it will particularly raise any eyebrows. 19 is very young to contemplate marriage in most people's opinions, but perfectly legal. I don't think most people are as cynical as we are in thinking that the daughters are being pushed into relationships for ratings. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think their relationship is, and for quite some time into the future, is going to be extremely awkward.  We thought Jessa and Binjermin were awkward when they try to kiss, this is going to be cringeworthy.  I feel bad for them having it on display.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Compare Tori Bates and Joy - they are roughly the same age, right? Joy is as dull as ditchwater, which really does pain me.

I've zero interest in their courtship, I don't care if they never fucking kiss, never mind get married. He has as much personality as a lukewarm glass of water.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

How is their courtship going to be film-worthy? We already know they don't kiss or hold hands and that someone has to be with them at all times to make sure they stay pure for their wedding night. I guess we'll see a bunch of silliness from Joy as she gets to know her betrothed by spending time at the camp with her younger sibling/chaperones. Spiders and snakes and sticks, oh my!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

At least Joy will be marrying someone she has known most of her life, rather than someone she just met 3 months ago. But still, I think she's nowhere near ready for marriage, even though she's of legal age.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I can count on one hand the people I know that married and still are married to the person they dated when they were 18. And all but one of these couples dated others before they started dating their spouses.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I can count on one hand the people I know that married and still are married to the person they dated when they were 18. And all but one of these couples dated others before they started dating their spouses.

No joke, my parents have been together since they were 16. They met at a Hebrew School dance. 

However, both sets of grandparents were NOT happy when my parents declared at 19 they wanted to get married. And they were only allowed to do so with the promise that both would stay in school. 

So...nothing like the Duggars, actually. Unless Joy and Austin were secretly hot for each other when they were younger. Which is possible, I guess...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/16/2017 at 5:47 PM, GeeGolly said:

I can count on one hand the people I know that married and still are married to the person they dated when they were 18. And all but one of these couples dated others before they started dating their spouses.

One of my sons is married to his hs sweetheart. Have a son of their own in college and another is a junior is high school. Worried us, but they are a success story. Another is back with his hs girlfriend, has a daughter with her. She was a bad idea then and a worse idea now.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Plenty of tabloids are wagging that Joy is already preggers /had a pregnancy scare that she had to come clean to her family about because they have already been knocking boots for a year. Since Joy can't do anything without a chaperone, I don't know why this rumor is so prevalent.

She wouldn't be doing anything most kids her age aren't already doing if it was true. As much as I disagree with and dislike her parents and her oppressive upbringing, I really can't stand to see this young woman so impugned.  I wonder how Joy would feel if she knew about the rumors. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

I would love it if one of these kids rebelled and unapologetically DID have sex because they wanted to, but I really doubt Joy has done so.

We already saw Josh doing this with hookers, and it was squicky to say the least. But yeah, I'd like these adult kids to tell their purity obsessed parents that they're adults who don't need a chaperone and to take a flying leap on a rolling donut. JD is 27 and hasn't got the balls to do it, so I doubt any of them will.

I applaud good morals, but quit telling us that you get to set your own standards...we know that's not true...you don't get a choice...it's Jim Boob's way  or no way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have no problems at all with two consenting adults having (safe, protected) sex and don't consider that "immoral" in any way. But these kids are never going to be able to shrug off the repressive ideas that have been forced into their psyches from birth. So sad.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think the tall tales the rags are publishing are probably more as a dig to Jim Bob and Michelle for all their purity ranting.  However, I think it's despicable to pick on Joy Anna to do that.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I'm honestly wondering what kind of feelings Joy has for Austin. If she's known him since she was 4 years old, is it really possible that she has the normal "falling in love" types of feelings/attractions that most people have when they start dating? It really seems to be like this is indeed an arranged marriage for Joy and it was arranged by Jim Bob in order to keep the television series going. The Duggars were ready to push Josiah, who was all of 18 at the time, into a courtship/marriage two years ago, and probably would have if the show had not been cancelled. I do hope that some viewers are horrified at what is going on and that the ratings end up dropping. 

Also, after this upcoming wedding and the new babies being born in the next few months, what will be left to show? Somehow, even if they end up getting one or more of the boys married off, it probably won't be as interesting a storyline unless they find brides who don't mind being on camera, like Anna. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Joy and Austin strike me as two buddies getting married and setting up house. I honestly don't believe Joy even grasps what this whole thing means. It wouldn't surprise me if she thinks she and Austin will have bunk beds in their room at Fort Rock and play flashlight tag at night. She is just way too immature at this stage in her life to make this sort of commitment and Boob is a total dick for allowing this to happen.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

Flashlight tag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What until she sees Austin's flashlight!!!!!!!!  hahahahahaha

Agreed...Joy doesn't grasp all of this at all.  The older girls are getting married and having babies so she is doing it too.  I wish her well.  From what I see of Austin, he seems pretty benign.  Maybe they will be happy together?  Joy does not seem like a complex person so this might be OK for her.  She has low expectations in life and Austin will work at the family camp...   Sometimes simple folk doing simple things have a simple life that they are satisfied with. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Sometimes simple folk doing simple things have a simple life that they are satisfied with. 

THIS!!! Some people just want a quiet life. Joy seems to have low expectations, since she said she's "over school", so no doubt marrying her childhood bestie seems the next logical step for her life. And, she seems perfectly fine with that.

PS because I'm 12 years old, I had the same thought about the flashlight.  Maybe she'll be pleased if she learns he's got a Magnalite! I'll be trudging off to the prayer closet now...

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

PS because I'm 12 years old, I had the same thought about the flashlight.  Maybe she'll be pleased if she learns he's got a Magnalite! I'll be trudging off to the prayer closet now...

There are a lot of us in there!

Flashlight tag was just too good to resist. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Marigold said:

There are a lot of us in there!

Flashlight tag was just too good to resist. 

I know! Sometimes it's just so worth it, even if it does mean we have to go to the prayer closet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

At least with the older girls, it wasn't a leap to be able to envision them kissing (and other stuff) with their intended. With Joy, all I can see is a giggling attempt followed by a disgusted turn of the head.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

To me, Joy is a little girl trapped in a young woman's body.  It may be the way the show is scripted, but she does not appear to have the maturity that a soon-to-be-married woman should have.  We don't know much about Austin at this point, he may be the same way.  Or maybe he is more mature (seeing as he was required to work at the camp) and has a different mindset than Joy.  

My other thought is that Joy won't need to have any skills aside from working at the camp.  She and Austin will most likely live there and Jim Bob and Michelle will simply be replaced by Austin's parents.  No need for headship when authority will be transferred between parental units.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

My other thought is that Joy won't need to have any skills aside from working at the camp.  She and Austin will most likely live there and Jim Bob and Michelle will simply be replaced by Austin's parents.  No need for headship when authority will be transferred between parental units.

If joy is as simple as she seems on the show and Austin is a simple guy too...this might not be a bad thing for them.  They have jobs, a place to live and help from parents.  (assuming his parents aren't horrible and abusive). It might actually be a good match and would it really matter if Joy is 19 or 21?  She might have peaked at her maturity and this is Joy! And if that's who she is...maybe snagging a decent guy is a a realistic solid life goal for her.   

I have to see more of this couple but right now, it seems pretty OK.  

(I just hope that Austin's parents don't work her hard!!!) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Joy is different from her older sisters in the sense that they were raised in a clump, almost as one, in a very Gothard way. Their hair was permed, they were mothering their siblings and reached the get-ready-for-marriage-and-babies season of life together. At the time JB & M thought they fixed the problem that was Josh and put much of their focus on Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger. Joy was left to play with her brothers and really was a Lost Boy.

Here she is now, barely 19 and following the path that was paved for her. She probably likes Austin, has butterflies when thinking of kissing him and is flattered that he likes her. The next steps are marriage and babies. This is all she knows. She probably thinks she is right where she needs to be in life.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I'm honestly wondering what kind of feelings Joy has for Austin. If she's known him since she was 4 years old, is it really possible that she has the normal "falling in love" types of feelings/attractions that most people have when they start dating?

Maybe I'm misreading you, but are you suggesting that it may be impossible to fall in love with someone that you've known first as a childhood friend? Because yes, you can. It can even be kind of magical. I have no idea if that's what Joy and Austin have experienced, but I hope like hell it is. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/16/2017 at 4:47 PM, GeeGolly said:

I can count on one hand the people I know that married and still are married to the person they dated when they were 18. And all but one of these couples dated others before they started dating their spouses.

I actually know quite a few high school sweethearts who are my age (36) and still married.  Some even older than that.  I absolutely think you can build a life with the person you first loved.  However, all of the people I know were not as sheltered as Joy and had more life experience than she has had, even at 18.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think Joy is a Jodie Foster fan, a Women's Tennis Association tour groupie, and appreciates the art of Georgia O'Keeffe. That is, she would be if she knew any of that existed. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I think Joy is a Jodie Foster fan, a Women's Tennis Association tour groupie, and appreciates the art of Georgia O'Keeffe. That is, she would be if she knew any of that existed. 

For her sake, in that lifestyle, I hope she's not. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I actually know quite a few high school sweethearts who are my age (36) and still married.  Some even older than that.  I absolutely think you can build a life with the person you first loved.  However, all of the people I know were not as sheltered as Joy and had more life experience than she has had, even at 18.

I know two people in marriages since they were 18. Long (10-20 year) unions. I get the feeling they married the first thing to come along and held on tight out of necessity. If Joy is happy, that's fine, I just done want her marrying just to be a 6 week plotline.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/18/2017 at 7:17 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Plenty of tabloids are wagging that Joy is already preggers /had a pregnancy scare that she had to come clean to her family about because they have already been knocking boots for a year. Since Joy can't do anything without a chaperone, I don't know why this rumor is so prevalent.

She wouldn't be doing anything most kids her age aren't already doing if it was true. As much as I disagree with and dislike her parents and her oppressive upbringing, I really can't stand to see this young woman so impugned.  I wonder how Joy would feel if she knew about the rumors. 

Crazy days and nights, the blind item gossip site, revealed a blind along the same line around the time Jinger got engaged.  It said they had to rush a daughter in to marriage because of pre-marital hanky panky.  I just assumed it was Jinger.  Crazy days and nights also had a reveal about trading one of the daughters for ratings.  After that one came out, I figured that was Joy.  But the preggers /had a pregnancy scare makes sense to me now too.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×