Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

On 8/20/2019 at 6:33 PM, louannems said:

Apparently, neither was Spurgeon!

Spurgeon was taking the photo 😉

16 hours ago, wilsie said:

Jessa really posted some nasty pictures.  Between diaper mountain and the dust, I just can't imagine intentionally showing that.  

Jessa and Ben should live in a trailer I'm sure they could find one big enough, plus she'd hardly have to do any cleaning. Joy & Austin can have Jessa & Bens place, I'm sure Joy would keep it nicer. 

• Love 5

More power to them. The shower and bathroom sink are in their bedroom. I'd be okay with it for a summer home, parked at a nice campground near a lake. Full-time living with a baby in a place that small would have me feeling claustrophobic in no time.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

Their home is very cute and looks nice and clean. I can't imagine raising a family in one but for now it works for them. I'm thinking she might bathe Giddy in the sink. My grandmother used to do that with us kids because it was easier for her not to stay bent over her bathtub. I also slept in a dresser drawer there. Baby care products were not as available in the 60's.

Off topic, but who remembers the bathinet (yes, bathinet, not bassinet) that was popular in the 60’s?

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Off topic, but who remembers the bathinet (yes, bathinet, not bassinet) that was popular in the 60’s?

Goes back even earlier.  I remember my brother screaming while in it in the mid 50s. As the rubber broke down, they smelled ghastly but did the job in tiny apartments.  

• Love 2
On 8/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, fonfereksglen said:

I don't think we should see where little ones sleep.  Too many creeps around.

Exactly.

Yet again the privacy thing drives me nuts. She's sending this to hundreds of thousands of gawking strangers.  And they're now so accustomed to doing that that the possible implications don't even occur to them. And the more they do it the more they risk making people who are off somehow believe they own them because of all the intimate things they show them.

They think of it like it's just a friends-and-family group. Somebody needs to tell them to start curating it for a million total strangers who do not and should not know you. 

• Love 6

I guess they still didn't get the memo about proper footwear while riding. Enjoy your broken or seriously bruised foot when the horse stomps on it, children. 

It's also unsafe to ride horses in shoes without a heel that will keep your foot in the stirrups if you fall or something like that happens. Between that and the no helmets, they're really setting themselves up for a bad accident one of these days. 😞

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16
20 hours ago, Zella said:

I guess they still didn't get the memo about proper footwear while riding. Enjoy your broken or seriously bruised foot when the horse stomps on it, children. 

It's also unsafe to ride horses in shoes without a heel that will keep your foot in the stirrups if you fall or something like that happens. Between that and the no helmets, they're really setting themselves up for a bad accident one of these days. 😞

I always thought it was having heeled shoes/boots that stopped your foot from going right through the stirrup, at which point you could get hung up by your ankle and dragged (ballet slipper style shoes, for example, wouldn't have anything to stop anyone's foot sliding straight through up to the ankle)?  Either way, I'm always shocked when riding rental places don't insist upon proper footwear... I can understand it a little if they're only expecting to walk the horses; but even so, the horse can spook and go careening off someplace.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I always thought it was having heeled shoes/boots that stopped your foot from going right through the stirrup, at which point you could get hung up by your ankle and dragged (ballet slipper style shoes, for example, wouldn't have anything to stop anyone's foot sliding straight through up to the ankle)?  Either way, I'm always shocked when riding rental places don't insist upon proper footwear... I can understand it a little if they're only expecting to walk the horses; but even so, the horse can spook and go careening off someplace.

You are correct.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Yes, you're right--that's what I was trying to say but badly phrased. LOL 

• Love 2

Joy has done a great job decorating the camper. I’ve never stayed in a camper, I have seen one in the flesh when some friends brought one to our Disney World Vacation, so I cannot comment on the space but if it suits them and allows them to hit their financial goals good for them. It’s nice Joy got to spend some time with Hannie and Jenny. 

• Love 15

The camper is fine for their current family needs but they were planning on living there as a family of four.  Tiny homes/campers IMO are fine when it’s just you and/or a partner but I can’t see having small kids in there.  Lack of privacy, play space and just noise level.  But that might just be me.  

• Love 6
19 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

The camper is fine for their current family needs but they were planning on living there as a family of four.  Tiny homes/campers IMO are fine when it’s just you and/or a partner but I can’t see having small kids in there.  Lack of privacy, play space and just noise level.  But that might just be me.  

My grandparents lived in a trailer with two small kids when my grandfather was in medical school, but I think my grandmother was able to tolerate it because she knew doctor money was on the horizon, lol. With Joy and Austin, I don't get the sense that there's any end game. Joy didn't mention saving for a house or building themselves a house in her Instagram story, so it appears the camper is it for the foreseeable future. I guess if it works, more power to them, but I couldn't do it, precisely for the reasons you just mentioned.  

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7
On 8/23/2019 at 1:50 AM, Zella said:

When did not having proper footwear stop that family from doing anything. Wasn't it one of the girls doing some serious house remodeling stuff(I want to say using a drill) while wearing flip flops?

• Love 13
17 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

I watch a lot of tiny house you tube videos and many people raise a family in those tiny tiny houses. For some people it is an option.  Not for me but seems to work for them. At least now. 

And some of them use a composting toilet which I wouldn’t choose at all 

• Love 6

I'm hopeful that Joy and Austin are not using blanket training or harsh punitive measures on cute little Giddyup.  At least from what we're shown, they look like loving parents and their son looks happy.  

Sister mom Jill, OTOH, makes fun of her crying boys, and she and Dillweed seem oblivious to what their kids seem to need, and don't get.  Shameful.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I'm hopeful that Joy and Austin are not using blanket training or harsh punitive measures on cute little Giddyup.  At least from what we're shown, they look like loving parents and their son looks happy.  

Sister mom Jill, OTOH, makes fun of her crying boys, and she and Dillweed seem oblivious to what their kids seem to need, and don't get.  Shameful.

I know there is a chance that they are using the Pearl's method, but Giddy still has his spark.  

• Love 4
On 8/29/2019 at 8:01 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I guess Joy goes to the TTH to do laundry? I doubt their RV has laundry hook-ups, and if there was a washer/dryer, she didn't show them on her "tour."

Yeah I figured she went there to do laundry. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

E4951E49-5AF8-4830-B051-EBA36B8944BD.jpeg

And, once again, how are his EMT skills going to be useful to anyone? I missed the Bahamian government's request for assistance from random non-affiliated EMT's to fly in on private aircraft and look for casualties to save with their non-existent EMT equipment and to transport victims to nearby hospitals, which, if these volunteer EMT's even knew how to find, are most likely also severely damaged and without electricity or clean water.  It sounds like every plane they took down there was packed to the gills with disaster tourists and I seriously doubt there was room for 'non-essentials' like food, water, stretchers, oxygen, or more than a couple of first aid kits from K Mart.

These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 17

I know Joy is an adult. An adult who seems to be doing more than just keeping her kid alive. But I feel sometimes Joy skips down the kumbaya path to cluelessness.

Does anyone else here worry about her being alone on some dirt road in an RV? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5