Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

With the exception of Giddy's nose, you could throw him at the TTH with the hoard of children and he would blend right in. 

How the GrandDuggars look more alike when put together in a group than their aunts and uncles is a bit baffling. 

• Love 4
On 7/6/2019 at 5:44 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I agree with you. 

Also I think our culture (mainstream North American culture- If there is such a thing) is very uncomfortable with death. We can barely handle it when it’s an elderly person who dies peacefully in their sleep, but the notion that young healthy women won’t always carry pregnancies to term, kids get sick and die, a sperm and egg meeting doesn’t mean that a healthy baby is guaranteed are notions that make people very uncomfortable. 

I also think for the “leg humpers” they don’t want to think such a thing could happen to “godly” people. Joy & Austin are both very young, in good health, god fearing married fundie Christians- these things aren’t supposed to happen if you follow the “rules”. Life doesn’t work that way. 

I do hope Joy does NOT blame herself for this and she can talk about her feelings openly with Austin. (If no one else- I doubt Michelle would be any real comfort). 

I think all western cultures find child death uncomfortable, but America and it’s abortion issues heighten the emotions for some. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Those are nice pics, I have to admit.

I know JB arranged his children's marriages, but this one is one of the few where the couple seems to really care about each other.  I feel for Joy and Austin with the death of Annabelle, but at least they have the adorable Gideon to comfort them through this loss.

• Love 23
16 hours ago, Zella said:

They really are. Gideon is just beyond adorable in that 3rd picture. 

And Austin looks great too. Just appears to be contentedly adoring his son. 

(I’m sure I still find his views repulsive though.)

• Love 15

Justin is starting to look really cute. I probably just jinxed him and he's going to lose half his hair by next week, but he may be the second candidate to break the Duggar Puberty Curse if he can hold it together.

• LOL 8
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Joy rode a bike for 7 mikes in a dress? With the baby in jeans in this heat? Good grief.

Joy in a skirt I can understand, 1. she is used to wearing them 2. the cool breeze up the skirt....well might be refreshing lol.  But Gideon in jeans, he must have been so hot but it looks like it was dusk so maybe the air was a bit cooler?

• Love 7

I used to cycle quite regularly with my bike club for hours at a time before my son.   Even for a lazy bike ride on a bike path I can't imagine riding a bicycle in a skirt.  I would constantly worry about my skirt getting stuck in the gears, especially if Gideon is on Joy's bike.  Hopefully that picture was just for posing and that Gideon was on Austin's bike.  I'm at least glad they put a helmet on him.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Joy rode a bike for 7 mikes in a dress? With the baby in jeans in this heat? Good grief.

I’m thinking of her just having given birth a short time ago!  I wouldn’t want to do a 7 mile bike ride in a dress shortly postpartum, but that’s me!  She looks happy, so hopefully she wanted to do it and enjoyed it. 

• Love 22

I think we discussed this before but

Austin always rubbed me the wrong way. Lately, he seems to have grown into his role of husband and father. You can just see that he has softened up. I also think that Joy and Austin have developed a pretty solid relationship. 

If he toned down his style of child discipline, they would be in really good shape. 

• Love 23
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

I think we discussed this before but

Austin always rubbed me the wrong way. Lately, he seems to have grown into his role of husband and father. You can just see that he has softened up. I also think that Joy and Austin have developed a pretty solid relationship. 

If he toned down his style of child discipline, they would be in really good shape. 

He really creeped me out at first. I was one of the ones who used to joke about him looking like a serial killer. 

But in the last few months, he seems to have mellowed out. In his recent pics with Joy and Gideon (not counting the hospital ones 😞 ), he looks very happy, and they look very happy with him. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

2 pictures:

7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

2 pictures:

He does look content, clean and well fed.  I wonder where they got the quilt.  Yes, I know he is doomed as far as his future, but at this point, his life is good (unless his father is into corporal punishment)

• Love 12
(edited)
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Just thinking aloud (Ok, with my keyboard)

Austin has changed a lot since Giddy was born. I posted upthread that he seems to have grown into a husband and father...lost some of that cold vibe. 

I wonder if the loss of the baby might change his mind about such a harsh discipline style? When he was younger and less mature, kids were seen as something to be controlled through that blanket training crap. Lots of swagger on getting a baby to behave. Confident. 

Loosing a baby?  Life is fragile and a baby/child is not something to be hit with a piece of tubing. 

I really didn't want to rehash the discipline style, we all know it's abhorrent.

Maybe Austin and Joy's perspective might change and develop now? At least get them thinking? After burying their daughter, how will it affect them? 

Austin, I hope you and Joy find a gentler and healthier style of discipline. 

TLC  gives everyone a script to speak on camera.  Considering Austin's horrible upbringing, he might have been given words to say on camera to make him appear to be someone he is not.  Considering his on camera demeanor,  he is not comfortable.  The pictures, show a different man.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Marigold said:

Just thinking aloud (Ok, with my keyboard)

Austin has changed a lot since Giddy was born. I posted upthread that he seems to have grown into a husband and father...lost some of that cold vibe. 

I wonder if the loss of the baby might change his mind about such a harsh discipline style? When he was younger and less mature, kids were seen as something to be controlled through that blanket training crap. Lots of swagger on getting a baby to behave. Confident. 

Loosing a baby?  Life is fragile and a baby/child is not something to be hit with a piece of tubing. 

I really didn't want to rehash the discipline style, we all know it's abhorrent.

Maybe Austin and Joy's perspective might change and develop now? At least get them thinking? After burying their daughter, how will it affect them? 

Austin, I hope you and Joy find a gentler and healthier style of discipline. 

I’m only going by the IG pictures, but I don’t think they follow the Pearl’s methods. Gideon is too young to “fake it”, and the pictures of him and Austin together show a boy who seems to adore his father. I’m sure they discipline Gideon, but I have a feeling it’s a lot more gentle than the Pearl’s. 

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I’m only going by the IG pictures, but I don’t think they follow the Pearl’s methods. Gideon is too young to “fake it”, and the pictures of him and Austin together show a boy who seems to adore his father. I’m sure they discipline Gideon, but I have a feeling it’s a lot more gentle than the Pearl’s. 

Austin responded on IG to a negative comment about the Pearls teaching at his family's camp. If I remember correctly, he defended the Pearls.  @Sew Sumi, do you remember the IG details!? What did he say exactly?  

But, like you said, he might not get out tubing and is just verbally firm...Giddy certainly looks like he has a good relationship with both Austin and Jill. Let's hope! 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 7

The thing about Austin defending the Pearls is that he himself was raised in a household where their teachings were undoubtably considered A-OK. Attacks on the Pearls might have felt like attacks on his parents’ choices, and not defending them might have felt to him like it would be dangerously close to disobedience. Austin clearly works hard to be a “good son,” I’m sure he would never put his parents on blast in public (even implicitly). He seems like the kind of man who wouldn’t even want to entertain a disobedient thought, honestly. Very much a straight arrow. 

That said, it’s one thing to waive away anything from your own childhood as being for the best or coming from a place of love on the part of your parents or whatever, it’s another thing to actually take a piece of tubing or a piece of wood to your own little son (or to use any of the other heinous, abusive “disciplinary methods” that the Pearls recommend). Austin defending practices or ideas that were probably a part of his upbringing seems to me like him defending his parents and his own childhood, I don’t think it means that he’s actually going to want or even be willing to repeat the same things with his kids.

• Useful 3
  • Love 19
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I think that letter came from Bobby Ballinger, Jr., who is married to Austin's sister. He has been shown to be his assist father's son. @Zella knows more about these clowns than I.

• Love 4
(edited)

Hating the Ballingers has been one of my hobbies for years! It predates my Duggar snark. 😄

Granted, I know more about Daddy Ballinger than I do Bobby Jr. IBut 'm a little surprised Bobby Jr. would be dumb enough to state that publicly. I always assumed he was being groomed to be some sort of heir apparent to his dad's political career. (Bob Ballinger, Sr., is an Arkansas state legislator. He's basically what Jim Bob wanted to be and has connections to Travis Story, JB's attorney.)

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 7/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, BitterApple said:

Justin is starting to look really cute. I probably just jinxed him and he's going to lose half his hair by next week, but he may be the second candidate to break the Duggar Puberty Curse if he can hold it together.

He looks sort of like Tab Hunter.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Zella said:

Hating the Ballingers has been one of my hobbies for years! It predates my Duggar snark. 😄

Granted, I know more about Daddy Ballinger than I do Bobby Jr. IBut 'm a little surprised Bobby Jr. would be dumb enough to state that publicly. I always assumed he was being groomed to be some sort of heir apparent to his dad's political career. (Bob Ballinger, Sr., is an Arkansas state legislator. He's basically what Jim Bob wanted to be and has connections to Travis Story, JB's attorney.)

Yeah and last I heard Bobby was in politics. He is/was a liason to a congressman.  According to fundiewiki, he's the oldest of 8 kids. 

He and Austin were both part of rebellious group of kids, but their rebellion seems to be less ideologically driven (more's the pity) and just getting into trouble. JB and MIchelle said that Austin and Bobby turned their lives over to Jesus.  His friends who repent, supposedly had problems that would have been avoided? if they were Christians.

I find this line of thinking very troubling. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Yeah and last I heard Bobby was in politics. He is/was a liason to a congressman.  According to fundiewiki, he's the oldest of 8 kids. 

He and Austin were both part of rebellious group of kids, but their rebellion seems to be less ideologically driven (more's the pity) and just getting into trouble. JB and MIchelle said that Austin and Bobby turned their lives over to Jesus.  His friends who repent, supposedly had problems that would have been avoided? if they were Christians.

I find this line of thinking very troubling. 

Yes, he's actually working for a US Congressman from Arkansas, so he's in DC while his dad is just in Little Rock. I am not familiar with the congressman he works for because he represents a district further south in the state. It is not the Ballingers' home district congressman that he's working for. 

Fun fact: if you watch Ballinger Sr's returns during elections, he never wins the counties he lives in. He pisses people off that badly. It's always counties that are less familiar with him as a person who vote for him in large numbers. So, it doesn't surprise me that his son is not working for a local congressman as you'd expect. 

• Useful 7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes, he's actually working for a US Congressman from Arkansas, so he's in DC while his dad is just in Little Rock. I am not familiar with the congressman he works for because he represents a district further south in the state. It is not the Ballingers' home district congressman that he's working for. 

Fun fact: if you watch Ballinger Sr's returns during elections, he never wins the counties he lives in. He pisses people off that badly. It's always counties that are less familiar with him as a person who vote for him in large numbers. So, it doesn't surprise me that his son is not working for a local congressman as you'd expect. 

So, Ballinger Jr is married to Austin Forsyth's sister?  Gosh, these fundies are inbred!  I see they are just coming up on their third anniversary and already have two kids, so they're obviously quiverful, too.  Ballinger is the oldest of 8 kids, most of whom have terrible names including Asa, Titus and Shiloh.  He definitely looks the type from the online pics I've seen.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

So, Ballinger Jr is married to Austin Forsyth's sister?  Gosh, these fundies are inbred!  I see they are just coming up on their third anniversary and already have two kids, so they're obviously quiverful, too.  Ballinger is the oldest of 8 kids, most of whom have terrible names including Asa, Titus and Shiloh.  He definitely looks the type from the online pics I've seen.

Yes Jr. is Austin's brother-in-law. The Ballinger kids were all also homeschooled. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, rue721 said:

The thing about Austin defending the Pearls is that he himself was raised in a household where their teachings were undoubtably considered A-OK. Attacks on the Pearls might have felt like attacks on his parents’ choices, and not defending them might have felt to him like it would be dangerously close to disobedience. Austin clearly works hard to be a “good son,” I’m sure he would never put his parents on blast in public (even implicitly). He seems like the kind of man who wouldn’t even want to entertain a disobedient thought, honestly. Very much a straight arrow. 

That said, it’s one thing to waive away anything from your own childhood as being for the best or coming from a place of love on the part of your parents or whatever, it’s another thing to actually take a piece of tubing or a piece of wood to your own little son (or to use any of the other heinous, abusive “disciplinary methods” that the Pearls recommend). Austin defending practices or ideas that were probably a part of his upbringing seems to me like him defending his parents and his own childhood, I don’t think it means that he’s actually going to want or even be willing to repeat the same things with his kids.

I really hope this is the case.  Austin isn't going to say anything negative about his family's business. He seems like a simple guy who just goes with the flow.  

Maybe Austin says what he says to bring in the clients to his family camp place but the idea of hitting Giddy with tubing is not happening in his own home. However, he seems to be endorsing those sicko Pearls...

That's my point, maybe the loss of the baby will give him a reality check.  Sometimes it takes adults years to realize that what happened to them as a child was either abusive or a really, really bad idea. 

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Joy is wearing a sleeveless top.  I'm quite surprised, seeing as she was all about wearing dresses rather than pants~  Aren't shoulders temptations to be hidden away?

Maybe the recent tragedy has shown them life is too short to obsess over hem and necklines and their super special, legalistic, fundie, Gothard approach will not shield them from tribulations. Either that or all the piety and modesty is a stunt for the cameras.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Maybe the recent tragedy has shown them life is too short to obsess over hem and necklines and their super special, legalistic, fundie, Gothard approach will not shield them from tribulations. Either that or all the piety and modesty is a stunt for the cameras.

As I was reading, all of a sudden I realized I had "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" running through my head. Had to do a double take 😄. Now we just need a few last syllables!

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

Joy is wearing a sleeveless top.  I'm quite surprised, seeing as she was all about wearing dresses rather than pants~  Aren't shoulders temptations to be hidden away?

I hope she’s got shorts on too, really short ones that would be a big F U to her family.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3