Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I truly hope she has a much better diet and healthier lifestyle this time around! Hopefully she learned from experience.   Not common to the Duggars, but I hope so!  

• Love 1

Joy is in Tennessee for Carlin's wedding. I wonder if any of the other Duggars will show up, I hear Carlin is having dancing at her wedding.

I think the Forsyths camper is parked at the compound, I doubt Austin is caring for him on his own.

Screenshot_20190522-182454_Instagram.thumb.jpg.9c913ccff3d6fedd50449e4ed07afd77.jpgScreenshot_20190522-182518_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.ff5900562e66210dab67b493a05eb6c2.jpgScreenshot_20190522-182538_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.6fd87c8f61001f81911c7e43a238177b.jpg

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That last picture is really sweet.  Austin looks like he enjoys being a father.

His smiles  seem to reach his eyes now. I'm glad he seems to be happier than he was.  

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Joy is in Tennessee for Carlin's wedding. I wonder if any of the other Duggars will show up, I hear Carlin is having dancing at her wedding.

Joy is the only Duggar girl in the wedding party, but her brother Justin Duggar is in the wedding party. I'm predicting most of the Duggars will be there with the exceptions of Jill, Jessa and a few more of the marrieds. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1

Yes, so sweet that he’s parenting!  He is “keeping” Gideon!  🙄  and that joy is let out of the house to see friends!  

Boy does G look like jimbob in that truck pic!  And OMG the nostrils!  

1 minute ago, Temperance said:

Joy is the only Duggar girl in the wedding party, but her brother Justin Duggar is in the wedding party. I'm predicting most of the Duggars will be there with the exceptions of Jill, Jessa and a few more of the marrieds. 

I wonder why just Justin, of all people?  What is his special connection with Carlin or her intended?

• Love 7

While I agree that fathers looking after their own kids is not "babysitting", I have heard lots of non-fundie people being chastised for using that expression, so I will cut them some slack.

It seems to me that Austin understands that spending this time with Carlin is important to Joy, and she appreciates it.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Love 22
24 minutes ago, awaken said:

Yes, so sweet that he’s parenting!  He is “keeping” Gideon!  🙄  and that joy is let out of the house to see friends!  

I wonder why just Justin, of all people?  What is his special connection with Carlin or her intended?

Justin is an odd choice. I imagine he's buddies with the middle group of Bates boys (Warden, Jackson, and another whose name escapes me at present). I don't see a connection to either Carlin or Evan. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, awaken said:

Maybe he's the younger Duggar male who's friendliest with one or more of the younger Bates males? 

And since you have to have some Duggars in your wedding -- because they're more famous than you are, so they'll bring you attention -- he became the pick for that reason? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, beckie said:

Did I miss something? When did Carlin become her bestie? I thought Sierra was. Or cousin Amy.

I remember hearing that about Carlin and Joy. Way back. Before the train of weddings started. 

I think they visited back and forth some when they were younger.

I remember thinking it was kind of pitiful that a kid would have to say that its best friend lived 700 miles away -- and not because one of them had moved out of the neighborhood. Just because the kid didn't know anybody who lived closer and was considered suitable for it to hang with, basically. Because there apparently weren't any co-cultists of similar age who lived closer. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, awaken said:

I know, wtf does “keeping” mean? He’s your child.

• Love 6

A lot of people have "more than one best friend" and I tend to think it's okay.

Then again for fundies (especially IBLP/Gothard types) best friends is loaded concept that got corrupted by Gothard and other fundies. Friends were seen and still are as dangerous cohorts trying to lure your kids into sin and depravation. Gothard taught that all the siblings in the family were best friends. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. While I can understand trying to get your kids to love their siblings, the idea that John David and Josie are best friends is ridiculous based on the age difference (19 years). Not to mention any abusive sibling relationships.

Other friendships according to Gothard, were supposed to friends of the whole family and not friends of any particular person. 

Most of the IBLP crowd doesn't follow this exactly and allows their children to have best friends outside of the family these days (not allowed under Gothard), but they still have a lot of hang-ups about friendship. The Bontragers are a good example of this. I watched the livestream of Chelsy's wedding. Her father had her best friend stand up as well as other best friends of his kids. The "best friends" were all older than the child in question, because they needed to bring maturity to the friendship. It was clear that Mr. Bontrager felt he got to approve and maybe choose friends like a courtship. He advised making sure your kids had older best friends during the service.  The Bontragers also insist that all of their kids are best friends, and that seems to be common among fundie families even with no ties to Gothard. (The fundies in real life who insist their big family are all best friends, are Catholic with no Gothard ties.)

JB and Michelle as well as David and Priscilla warned over and over about bad peer groups during the Youth for Christ Conference (the video from the JB and Michelle thread). They told that story about Austin and his rebellion, which they saw as peer motivated. Austin lost most of those friends when he turned his life back to Jesus. The only friend he kept also turned to Jesus and is now Austin's brother-in-law Bobby. Austin didn't exactly unfriend people, but he told about his faith and that he was going to be Christian now. (Of course his friends kept up their dissolute habits and have gone to seed appropriately. Of the three friends who turned their back on Jesus, one went to prison and one was doing something with a screwdriver and gauged his eye out. The third one's life path is unknown. Hopefully he's doing better than the other friends.)

Anyway all this aside, Joy's and Carlin's friendship always seemed genuine and they saw each other more before Joy got married. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

While I agree that fathers looking after their own kids is not "babysitting", I have heard lots of non-fundie people being chastised for using that expression, so I will cut them some slack.

It seems to me that Austin understands that spending this time with Carlin is important to Joy, and she appreciates it.  Nothing wrong with that.

Yup, I'll agree. They probably both spend a lot of time with Gideon, but a baby is a lot of work, and it's far easier to juggle things when there are two of you rather than one - so Joy is perfectly justified in thanking Austin for taking over as the sole "keeper" for a few days while she gets a break. 

I would hope that he'd thank her if he decided to take his own break with some friends, but I suppose that's probably less likely.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That last picture is really sweet.  Austin looks like he enjoys being a father.

I just hope that he and Joy decided against the blanket training.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think it was normal to thank Austin for holding down the fort so Joy could go on a solo trip. Any other mom in that cult would likely have had to tote the baby with her. 

I just went on a girls bachelorette weekend and it was SO NICE to get away for a few days from my baby. Love her to death but being able to be a free human again was great. I bet Joy had a great time baby free.

I also thanked my husband ( tho not on social media) for solo parenting all weekend. And when he goes to my brothers bachelor party in a few weeks ( all weekend event in a different state ) I want a thank you too!!!!

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20
17 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Does she not miss her child?

Well, maybe she's just addressing the one who can read. 

I'd be surprised if she hadn't talked to both of them on the phone and told Gideon how much she misses him. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
On 5/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, bigskygirl said:

Keeping him?! Is he the family pet? I swear I want to beat my head against my keyboard, but I do not want a headache and spend money getting a new keyboard.

I hear a lot of older black people (in my family and others) use “keep” that manner “who is going to keep the baby for you while you work/vacation/etc?” Now they don’t include the child’s other PARENT in this question (it’s assumed a parent will Watch their own child), but I’ve often heard “keep” being used similarly to “watch” in regards to small children. 

Maybe it’s a southern expression now that I think about it- it doesn’t sound strange to my ears. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
22 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Maybe it’s a southern expression now that I think about it- it doesn’t sound strange to my ears. 

Me neither. Keep, watch, look after, babysit etc. 

It's just different words for the same thing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20190525-112813_Instagram.thumb.jpg.c56b33866b6c53f9a2e61121deda1da2.jpg

Joy is Jill's twin

They look really pretty. I love their makeup. 

10 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

This is the first time I've seen Joy look like an actual adult and not  a 15 year old!

One baby faced gal states that makeup is the only way I look over 18 and I’m 33. It’s a curse! Lol. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Portia said:

Wow, such a lot of makeup for such young, already-lovely women. Joy's still looks quite nice to me, but personally I think Carlin looks plastic.

Well it is her wedding. The makeup is for photographs (including long distance ones of her to showcase her dress), which of course looks different than what you’d wear day to day. I think the makeup artist did an excellent job for the occasion. 

21 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

And another one

I see some real smiles here. Where’s Michaela?! Has she been left out again?

• Love 12

Joy looks really good!  Austin and Gideon look happy, maybe they’ve all had time to adjust to one another after the short whirlwind of a  courtship/engagement/birth period. 

I usually hate when mothers thank fathers for mundane duties that are just...parenting...but being away for an entire weekend is a lot. Now if she thanks him for making her and the kids a breakfast that consists of a granola bar and a bushel of grapes, I will lose my mind. *insert story about a college friend who wrote three entire paragraphs on Facebook thanking her husband for said breakfast.*

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Well it is her wedding. The makeup is for photographs (including long distance ones of her to showcase her dress), which of course looks different than what you’d wear day to day. I think the makeup artist did an excellent job for the occasion. 

She's in TN, but she's not in the bridal party.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She's in TN, but she's not in the bridal party.

Yes she is. I checked the wedding website through the knot. And there she is on the bed right behind Carlin. 

(edited)

My mistake! Should have enlarged the picture before posting! Too lazy to check the website, though. That wasn't gonna happen. 😂

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 11:52 PM, cmr2014 said:

That would be wild, wouldn't it, if these two turned out to be the "thinkers?"

Well, Austin has already shown more spirit than we heretofore had given any fundie male credit for, with his adolescent "rebellion"; so I have hopes.  There is hope that he may in fact then do the opposite of blanket training (even the dimmest bulb who was featured on an episode of "World's Strictest Parents" has to have developed some sort of clue as a result); and Joy's always seemed besotted with Giddy - remember how maddening she was, interfering with his little feet every time he breathed?

Also, I've always maintained that Joy is one of the prettiest Duggar girls.  It was a kindness to give her some professional makeup, as the recent dress-shilling pictures seemed to show Joy fighting with a considerable breakout of hormonal chin acne; so probably not the way she wanted to be remembered in pictures...and damn, that is a lot of attendants.

ETA:  I think we've also solved the "mystery" of why they needed Justin - have to find partners for fifteen (!) bridesmaids!

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, queenanne said:

ETA:  I think we've also solved the "mystery" of why they needed Justin - have to find partners for fifteen (!) bridesmaids!

Except if you look at the list for their wedding party, there's a butt-ton of groomsmen, and even if you pair the junior bridesmaids with ushers, there are still two extra ushers... maybe they go down the aisle together? I'm laughing at the thought of Justin Duggar and whichever leftover Bates brother being in a secret courtship...

http://www.carlinandevan.wedding/#wedding-party

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is from a video Whitney posted. Seems like all her sisters over the age of 18 (Katie and up) were bridesmaids.

d943aed1-e983-46da-8894-ce4abf0bb9bc.jpg

• Love 1