Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Joy had a midwife present during  at least part of her home labor. Remember the blonde lady? We never did positively ID her by name that I can recall, but she wasn't a family member. Joy would have been very stupid to have an unlicensed midwife on camera, but these *are* the Duggars.

I thought people were sure that Theresa Fedosky. I wasn't sure, but not familar enough with Theresa to know for sure. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, 3 is enough said:

Austin only has one sister.  It is not out of the question that he would want a smaller family.  He also seems to be smart enough to realize that he could not support a boatload of children on what he earns flipping houses.  

Nor can you stuff a boatload of kids into that tiny trailer they live in while flipping houses. 

I think Gideon is starting to morph more into a Duggar boy 😞

• Love 1

It's another boutique ultrasound. The website says it's $75- $100, Joy could have used that money and gone to a low cost clinic for an actual Drs appointment. Get ready for another botched c-section. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

That's their baby, announcement picture was just a prop

And she really did announce early

She didn't announce that early. That sonogram from 10 weeks is a month old and that makes her about 14 weeks now. She's about 3 months, which is the end of the first trimester and it's when most people announce. She's due sometime the first week of November. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

It's another boutique ultrasound. The website says it's $75- $100, Joy could have used that money and gone to a low cost clinic for an actual Drs appointment. Get ready for another botched c-section. 

Yep. The name of the ultrasound place is right at the top and "Baby Face & More" sure as hell doesn't sound like an OB/GYN practice. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Love 11
(edited)
21 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Thanks @doodlebug. So interesting even though I am way past childbearing age.  Is it that anybody can attend a home birth as the delivery person, so to speak, if they are not licensed as long as they don't take money?  They can call themselves a midwife?  For anybody dumb enough to allow that?  As in Duggars?    My late ex husband was a doctor - cardiologist - and said he could perform brain surgery on anyone who was dumb enough to let him.  He did have a medical license...

Of course, there are plenty of people who deliver at home with family or friends doing the honors.  Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, former congresswoman, bragged about giving birth at home with only her husband present.  She said he read the police emergency manual about how to deliver a baby, they decided it was simple, so they didn't even bother to find someone to attend the birth besides him.  BTW, they both have graduate degrees from major universities.  I don't recall her stance on professional prenatal care, but I am sure it was equally ignorant.  She did say that her mother, Ethel, was appalled at her plans.

Anyway, when it comes to practicing medicine without a license, you can only be charged if you misrepresent yourself to patients as a practitioner.  If you line up a friend, a relative, the mail carrier to deliver your baby, inject you with botox or remove your appendix; that is perfectly legal as long as that person doesn't represent themselves as having training or licensure that they do not have.  Also, the exchange of money for goods or services is part of the deal.  If you hire a lay midwife here in Ohio where they are not licensed to practice; she will swear you to secrecy and, will make you promise that, if something goes wrong, you won't tell anyone her name (not even hospital staff), that you will tell authorities that you delivered the baby by yourself with no help and if she is still on the premises when 911 is called, you will go along with whatever lie she spews to them about her presence.  Usually, they claim that they just happened to drop by for a visit AFTER the birth and decided to hang around until the squad came.  Or, that they are personal friends of the parents who were invited, AS A FRIEND, to be present, but did not do a thing, nosirree, nothing.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 9
  • Love 4
(edited)
44 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Of course, there are plenty of people who deliver at home with family or friends doing the honors.  Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, former congresswoman, bragged about giving birth at home with only her husband present.  She said he read the police emergency manual about how to deliver a baby, they decided it was simple, so they didn't even bother to find someone to attend the birth besides him.  BTW, they both have graduate degrees from major universities.  I don't recall her stance on professional prenatal care, but I am sure it was equally ignorant.  

No. KKT actually strongly supports professional prenatal care and has campaigned repeatedly to provide much better and more access to it for U.S. women.

Her idea is that if you have really good prenatal care, your risk for most serious at-birth problems will in most cases likely be detected before you go into labor. So you'll know whether you've most likely got a low-risk pregnancy and can give birth at home  with relative safety, if you want, or whether you should opt for a hospital birth because you have some risks.

She's a fan of home births and CNMs. That may not be the smartest idea -- I don't know. But she's not some kind of promoter of know-nothingism. She's also a big fan and promoter of pregnant women getting lots of high-quality prenatal care -- and for creating a healthcare system where everybody, not just the rich, can easily get all that good prenatal care. That's not the world we live in, unfortunately.  But she's not a modern-medicine hater. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

No. KKT actually strongly supports professional prenatal care and has campaigned repeatedly to provide much better and more access to it for U.S. women.

Her idea is that if you have really good prenatal care, your risk for most serious at-birth problems will in most cases likely be detected before you go into labor. So you'll know whether you've most likely got a low-risk pregnancy and can give birth at home  with relative safety, if you want, or whether you should opt for a hospital birth because you have some risks.

She's a fan of home births and CNMs. That may not be the smartest idea -- I don't know. But she's not some kind of promoter of know-nothingism. She's also a big fan and promoter of pregnant women getting lots of high-quality prenatal care -- and for creating a healthcare system where everybody, not just the rich, can easily get all that good prenatal care. That's not the world we live in, unfortunately.  But she's not a modern-medicine hater. 

Glad to hear that she's softened her POV a little.  I am positive that she did indeed state that delivering a baby was so simple that anyone could do it which is why she didn't have anyone but her husband present with her. So, at the time her kids were born anyway, she believed in homebirth but did not believe in having trained professionals in attendance at them.  She also specifically said they read about emergency childbirth in a police manual and felt that was education enough.  Of course, she also said that with one of her kids, the bag of waters didn't break before delivery and the baby was born inside the sac.  Her husband, not having anything at hand to do the job, then chewed through the sac so that the baby wouldn't inhale the fluid.  I guess the police manual forgot to mention having scissors at hand to cut the cord or crack the sac or whatever.

Tonight on the news, I did see that she and several of her siblings took their brother, Bobby Jr, to task for his anti-vaxxer crusade.  It gave me hope that she wasn't quite as medically naïve as she seemed to be years ago.

• Love 7
(edited)

KKT should have delivered that baby at my house. I think I have at least one pair of scissors in every room. 

Back to Joy. Since she had the sono early, I assumed & hoped it was done at the doctor's office & not a boutique place.  Don't these people ever learn?  I'm not even sure a tragic birth would cause them to change their prenatal care & birthing ways.  It would just be God's way.  Now I picture Austin pulling up in a hospital ER parking lot in their RV with Joy in the back in fetal distress once again.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
On 5/8/2019 at 10:43 PM, doodlebug said:

Glad to hear that she's softened her POV a little.  I am positive that she did indeed state that delivering a baby was so simple that anyone could do it which is why she didn't have anyone but her husband present with her. So, at the time her kids were born anyway, she believed in homebirth but did not believe in having trained professionals in attendance at them.  She also specifically said they read about emergency childbirth in a police manual and felt that was education enough.  Of course, she also said that with one of her kids, the bag of waters didn't break before delivery and the baby was born inside the sac.  Her husband, not having anything at hand to do the job, then chewed through the sac so that the baby wouldn't inhale the fluid.  I guess the police manual forgot to mention having scissors at hand to cut the cord or crack the sac or whatever.

Tonight on the news, I did see that she and several of her siblings took their brother, Bobby Jr, to task for his anti-vaxxer crusade.  It gave me hope that she wasn't quite as medically naïve as she seemed to be years ago.

Yes, she's turned out to be capable of learning from experience, apparently!

And I think maybe she's even trying to make up for past extremism by putting the we-all-need-good-prenatal-care message out there. So that's good. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Barb23 said:

KKT should have delivered that baby at my house. I think I have at least one pair of scissors in every room. 

Back to Joy. Since she had the sono early, I assumed & hoped it was done at the doctor's office & not a boutique place.  Don't these people ever learn?  I'm not even sure a tragic birth would cause them to change their prenatal care & birthing ways.  It would just be God's way.  Now I picture Austin pulling up in a hospital ER parking lot in their RV with Joy in the back in fetal distress once again.  I hope I'm wrong. 

As it’s been said here many times, it’s funny that Meshelle took advantage of all that medicine has to offer and delivered most of her children in a hospital under a doctor’s care. 

She has done her daughters no favors throughout the years. She never taught them to cook or clean, she blamed them for their brother’s actions, and now doesn’t advise them to get proper medical care as she did. 

She was there when Jill and Jessa had complications( not sure about Joy),and even then it doesn’t seem to phase her one bit.

I can’t even force myself to like this woman for one minute. In my eyes, she’s the worst of the bunch.

If Joy is going the VBac route at home the outcome could be tragic.. Having a boutique ultrasound is not an encouraging sign that she’s under proper medical care.

• Love 18
24 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Minus Joy's sandals, they look like a cute young family out camping.  Austin looks happy holding Gideon.

I like Joy's sandals. They look comfortable. These sandals look safer since they are more attached to her feet.  Sandals may be more comfortable while pregnant.

I also think she looks a little bigger than I would have thought. It may indicate issues, but it may be genetic. One woman I know showed really early and was huge and had one of the easiest deliveries ever. Joy's always been a little curvier than her sisters, so it may just be how she's built. It also may have something to do with the position of the baby.

I'm concerned about the birth, but that has more to with this family's track record concerning birth. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Minus Joy's sandals, they look like a cute young family out camping.  Austin looks happy holding Gideon.

It's honestly one of the more normal, happy pictures I've seen of them. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Puffin said:

Joy & Austin at Big Sandy 

tumblr_pr8wadhzQS1s3jtqz_1280.jpg

All things considered, they look happy and together.  Austin is holding her close and doesn't have an impatient sneer on his face.  Maybe they are getting used to each other.  Maybe they really do care for each other after being together in a more normal way than "courtship"

• Love 20
23 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

All things considered, they look happy and together.  Austin is holding her close and doesn't have an impatient sneer on his face.  Maybe they are getting used to each other.  Maybe they really do care for each other after being together in a more normal way than "courtship"

Austin's smiling with his eyes a bit for a change, if I'm not hallucinating. Good to see. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, Joy looks huge for only fourteen weeks. I'm predicting another emergency c-section.

I don’t think she looks big at all (or pregnant in the slightest). I think the dress is just creating a void in her stomach area that’s blending with Austin. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I enlarged the picture. You can see the darker dress (and bump) against Austin's lighter shirt. She's popping early again, despite her no sugar diet that she adhered to at least going into this pregnancy. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I enlarged the picture. You can see the darker dress (and bump) against Austin's lighter shirt. She's popping early sgsin, despite her no sugar diet that she adhered to at least going into this pregnancy. 

Ah! I’m looking on my phone. Thanks. 

I did what you said- I now see the curve @BitterApple mentioned. Before it looked like the dress was falling straight down. 

Some women just show early. 

• Love 3

After having a large baby, Joy's abdominal muscles are probably weaker, even after losing weight, which would allow her expanding uterus to show more. If her goal is a vbac, the position of the baby can be as important or more important than the size. My csection was for by first and smallest baby, at 8 lbs 15 oz. For my vbacs, I did positioning exercises and chiropractic care along with normal prenatal care.

If the ahow is just going to be following the family as they keep having babies, they could at least make it interesting by looking at various approaches to maternal health. Joy could try a chiropractor, acupuncture,  hire a doula, etc. 

• Love 7

At least Joy is wearing shoes!  I bet that Big Sandy conference is miserable. 

When I was 24 years old, I became a Seventh Day Adventist,  and every June the state would hold "Camp Meeting", which is a huge camping conference. 

It sounds like Big Sandy with lots of scheduled speakers, classes and activities for all ages of kids, and LOTS of church.  Yes, even while camping we must have church.

I no longer attend church, haven't for many years, but I'll never forget all those christian moms out christianing the other moms.  All of that instant obedience crap, even while camping in close proximity is enough to bring back anxiety attacks.

• Love 11

Having a boutique ultrasound doesn't necessarily equate to not having prenatal care. Some insurance companies or OBs only allow one paid ultrasound. My daughter was a bit miffed because my last grandson decided to cross his legs so they couldn't tell the sex and her doctor wouldn't do another one. If they had had the option of going to a strip mall and getting another one done, they would have in a heartbeat.

• Love 5

Call me crazy (or just plain old) but I believe a baby's sex was meant to be a surprise.  When I was pregnant in the early 80's, ultrasound was only done if a problem was suspected.  Luckily, my pregnancy was uneventful (not so, my delivery!) so we didn't know what we were getting.  Suited me just fine.

How lucky I was that pregnancy and childbirth were not expected of me, automatically.  These fundie women have no self-worth other than that, it seems.  Joy (or any of them) could go double digit, and no one would bat an eye.  They would probably be applauded.  

#sonotfundieandhappyiamnot

• Love 12
(edited)

When I was pregnant (less than a year ago) we opted to not find out the gender. It frustrated my mom, but I pointed out that when she was pregnant with me (1979) she didn't know, either.

I have some hope for Joy and Austin, though. He apparently rebelled in the past; she apparently questioned her faith in the past. He's hard-working; she's easy-going. They may be the defectors.

Edited by Janevain
I found out I was pregnant, duh
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Janevain said:

I have some hope for Joy and Austin, though. He apparently rebelled in the past; she apparently questioned her faith in the past. He's hard-working; she's easy-going. They may be the defectors.

That would be wild, wouldn't it, if these two turned out to be the "thinkers?"

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Janevain said:

When I was pregnant (less than a year ago) we opted to not find out the gender. It frustrated my mom, but I pointed out that when she was pregnant with me (1979) she didn't know, either.

Back when I was having kids (between 1985 and 2001), ultrasounds were just coming into regular use. I didn't have one with my first pregnancy (like @xwordfanatik, my pregnancy was uneventful, the delivery not so much). I had one when I was pregnant with my daughter two years later, but opted not to find out the sex. When my younger son was born, we were stationed in Scotland, and ultrasounds still hadn't quite become standard there unless there was a problem, so I didn't end up getting one there either.

When my daughter was pregnant (and my granddaughter is almost 15 months old now - how time flies!!) she had a number a ultrasounds throughout her pregnancy, but also opted not to find out the sex, which I thought was great! I love that surprise factor as well! Though the fact that she and her husband were, somehow, totally convinced that they were having a boy threw them a bit when she was born...they hadn't even had a girl's name lined up. They had agreed on "Evelyn" beforehand, but when she was born, my son-in-law admitted that he actually hated that name and only agreed to it because they were so sure they were having a boy! 

Oddly enough, when my daughter was first pregnant, I had a dream that she had a girl and named her Evelyn, which I thought was a name totally out of left field, but when I mentioned it to my daughter, she said that that was a name which was actually on her personal short list, though they hadn't really talked about names yet at that point. In any case, she ended up named Remy, which I like better anyway.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Joy is so pretty. She looks like she's having a much healthier pregnancy this time around.

She does. Now if only she would do something with her hair! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Joy is so pretty. She looks like she's having a much healthier pregnancy this time around.

I don't really understand what it means that she looks like she's having "a much healthier pregnancy this time around".  I can't tell anything about her pregnancy this time or last by looking at her. Please explain. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I don't really understand what it means that she looks like she's having "a much healthier pregnancy this time around".  I can't tell anything about her pregnancy this time or last by looking at her. Please explain. 

I thought Joy was overweight and looked chronically miserable and exhausted when she was pregnant with Gideon. She appears much happier now.

• Love 20
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I thought Joy was overweight and looked chronically miserable and exhausted when she was pregnant with Gideon. She appears much happier now.

She does look happier now. It probably helps that having been through this once she has experience to guide her this time. As for her weight, I could never judge anyone for their weight, but she looks about the same to me. 

• Love 2

Didn't she say she existed on Chick-fil-A during her pregnancy with Gideon? She went sugar-free to lose her pregnancy weight (and then some). I wonder if she's keeping up that diet now that she's pregnant?

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Also, Joy was so short of breath during her last pregnancy.  Remember the episode when she was hugely pregnant and stupid Austin talks her into canoeing in the rain?  I remember her having to take  little breaths after every few words.

Of course, I haven't heard Joy speak this time around so I can not really compare.

It's so many months between episodes now and then so few  of them.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 2