Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

I rolled my eyes at "the adventure of witnessing." Like we need any more people in the world bothering others like Jinger does on a plane. 

I just don't think Jesus meant to pester people on planes, in restaurants, and in stores. I'd rather live my life in a way that people take notice, and ask me about my faith, and then that gives a good opportunity to discuss it. I'd rather them ask me why I'm doing something a particular way, for instance, and then bring it up non confrontationally. I think Jesus meant more to actually make friends with people and let faith come up naturally, rather than pester people. That just doesn't work. And though I am willing to share my faith with my friends, I couldn't care less what their religious beliefs are. I'm not going to nag them about going to church or anything like that!

and missionaries (real ones, not Derick and Jill) IMO are awesome, if they are actually helping the community, and participation in church activities is voluntary. I know missionaries like that whom I really respect, and who are doing a lot of good in the world, and guess what? They don't go everywhere nagging people about Jesus. 

The LAST thing we need more of is smug newlyweds pestering everyone. 

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I rolled my eyes at "the adventure of witnessing." Like we need any more people in the world bothering others like Jinger does on a plane. 

I just don't think Jesus meant to pester people on planes, in restaurants, and in stores. I'd rather live my life in a way that people take notice, and ask me about my faith, and then that gives a good opportunity to discuss it.

Well, see, there's the difference between you and Duggars. They also want to live their lives in a way that people notice -- but it's not necessarily something most of us would consider a good way.  ;  ) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, see, there's the difference between you and Duggars. They also want to live their lives in a way that people notice -- but it's not necessarily something most of us would consider a good way.  ;  ) 

HAHAHAHAHAHA I LOL'd 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Austin has creepy eyes.

I have to say, though, in that last picture of both of them with Gideon, Austin's eyes come closer to really smiling than in any other picture I've seen of him. ... If that's more than just my imagination, it's nice to see. 

And Gideon seems on the small side, but in that photo he looks right on point for 1-year-old maturity, to me, both in the body and in the face. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

none of these are "adventures" i want to take.

(except maybe the adventure of fighting. I want to win all the time.)

That's the one class that sounded interesting, but in the context it's probably something along the lines of telling the women it's their job to acquiesce.

• Love 7

I like the cake I wonder if Joy made it?. 

I have to say I see people say stuff like Austin is a control freak, a creep, abusive to Joy etc I just don’t see it tbh maybe it’s just me 🙅‍♀️The only time I thought he was being a bit of an idiot was the episode with the fondue telling people they couldn’t eat of the stick, I get he’s a germaphobe but a real germaphobe wouldn’t have brought fondue in the first place. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Puffin said:

I like the cake I wonder if Joy made it?. 

I have to say I see people say stuff like Austin is a control freak, a creep, abusive to Joy etc I just don’t see it tbh maybe it’s just me 🙅‍♀️The only time I thought he was being a bit of an idiot was the episode with the fondue telling people they couldn’t eat of the stick, I get he’s a germaphobe but a real germaphobe wouldn’t have brought fondue in the first place. 

He supports “freedomists,” so yeah, a total creep.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I don't care if Giddyup didn't realize it was his first birthday,  I still think it was crappy for Joysten to go out-of-town to a couple's conference on his big day.

I took off work on my son's first birthday to spend the day with him even though he didn't know I did so. Being with him all day on his first birthday was special to me.

I forget that babies are dime a dozen at the Duggars so for the most part, first birthdays aren't that big of a deal to them. 

Good point, Barb. Plus, so many parents who aren't together have to fight to see their child on their birthday. It's crazy that these fools are both willingly giving up seeing him. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Puffin said:

I agree. I don’t like his ideas or beliefs any better than any of the rest of the Duggar clan, but I just don’t get the evil, abusive vibe from him. He doesn’t seem super comfortable in front of the camera, but he didn’t grow up with it in his face.  

• Love 7

I too think it’s shitty to bail on poor Giddyup’s first birthday. This is your first kid’s first birthday, and while you don’t need a Pinterest-worthy party, it deserves more recognition than some Fundie factory quackery passing as marriage counseling or relationship workshops.  It’s not like they work 9-5  jobs and are short on annual time to take off.  First birthdays are still a milestone because so many around the world don’t make it, and it makes a transition from baby to toddler.  No more infant Giddyup.  For people who profess to value children so much, they don’t mind pawning them off when convenient.  

You had one job to do Karen!  Jeez!!!

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 11

I can think of a Mom who did Joy and Austin one better on her son's first birthday.  She wanted to nurse him for 1 year, so on his birthday, she cut him off cold turkey.  Happy Birthday, son - I'm taking away your favorite thing in the world.  Bwahaha!

ETA: it wasn't me!

Edited by BetyBee
Did it sound like I meant me?
  • LOL 2

Here’s today’s Instagram shiller : Joy’s got a paid partnership with Justfabonline. She’s modeling dresses, boots and a trench coat. She’s really slimmed way down - probably cuz she’s going to be in the Bates girl’s wedding soon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

Here’s today’s Instagram shiller : Joy’s got a paid partnership with Justfabonline. She’s modeling dresses, boots and a trench coat. She’s really slimmed way down - probably cuz she’s going to be in the Bates girl’s wedding soon.

It's so weird to me that they think actual paid productive work is anathema for women. But being a spokesmodel is super-dandy. 

I suppose that might be just because of the "you don't have to leave home" thing. But in our webbed world, there are tons of contractors of all kinds who work and don't leave home much either. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

It's so weird to me that they think actual paid productive work is anathema for women. But being a spokesmodel is super-dandy. 

I suppose that might be just because of the "you don't have to leave home" thing. But in our webbed world, there are tons of contractors of all kinds who work and don't leave home much either. 

I just can't imagine that they'll earn much from these sponsorships. Maybe just a discount?

• Love 4

Jinger did another Thrive this week, so maybe they didn’t drop her?

But they WERE home for the baby’s birthday, so who cares? Joy looks really pretty and healthy, so I’m sure it’s time for another pregnancy. I admit, I like her who gives a fuck attitude, and Austin can’t be that bad if he lets her live like that. Maybe they just enjoy being natural and winging it - even in a trailer. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Jinger did another Thrive this week, so maybe they didn’t drop her?

Joy looks really pretty and healthy, so I’m sure it’s time for another pregnancy.

Thrive said no more Duggar ads after March 1st. Lauren also made an ad but only posted a photo of the products.

Joy's started giving Gideon formula so a pregnancy is bound to happen if she  has stopped breast feeding. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Thrive said no more Duggar ads after March 1st. Lauren also made an ad but only posted a photo of the products.

Joy's started giving Gideon formula so a pregnancy is bound to happen if she  has stopped breast feeding. 

Where did Joy mention starting Gideon on formula?

14 hours ago, Lunera said:

Oh god you just know Jill is gonna be asking her constantly now if shes pregnant yet, I hope she has another year pregnancy free. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

If Gideon's now on formula, there'll be a pregnancy announcement by summer. 

Don't babies drink whole milk after 12 months of age?  My three were born in the eighties, and I nursed them all well past their first birthdays, but back then, it was formula for 12 months, then whole milk. I know Gideon in 1.

• Love 1

Some possibilities: Gideon could be on formula for weight gain, as many have mentioned he is on the small side. He could be lactose intolerant. There are lots of toddler formulas now. Maybe he needs supplements because he isn't a good eater yet.

One of my children had to see an occupational therapist and go to a pediatric feeding clinic because she was on a feeding tube due to lung disease and developed an oral aversion due to projectile vomiting as an infant. Another had speech and physical therapy for idiopathic dysphagia that caused aspiration pneumonia. Through that experience, I learned that many children need other kinds of dietary and nutritional support. I've known children who basically lived off of Pediasure, kids with g-tubea, and kids who would vomit from certain smells and textures. 

Considering all of that, Joy may have a very good reason for Gideon to drink formula.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Gideon is one of those babies that has the wizened old man look instead of the chubby cheek look, in our house we call that an Uncle Fester kid.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that it's just how some kids are and he doesn't seem underfed or anything.  He's still a pretty cute kid though.

I don't see the problem with being away for his actual birthday, we delay celebrations all the time if it falls midweek or similar and it's not like the kid will know or remember if the party was a few days later.  Honestly I think parents go way overboard with the first birthday parties when the kid is pretty much on the level of "smash fist in cake, shove cake in mouth".  At this age the party is more for the adults and the picture memories.

The cake was cute but it got "Under The Sea" stuck in my head - not that it's likely Joy knows what that's from.

• Love 11

She looks great in the 3rd picture but poor Joy looks like shes aging as well as Jill.

All the dresses on that page she is advertising look like ones I've found at the clearance rack at Ross. I'm so over the flower pattern.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Also, everyone is complaining about how dangerous it is her being barefoot around the horse. 

That was the first thing I thought as soon as I saw the picture. Having had my foot stomped by a horse while wearing shoes, I can only imagine what it would feel like barefoot. 

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Also, everyone is complaining about how dangerous it is her being barefoot around the horse. 

Abso-frickin'-lutely!  I had my toe stepped on by a horse whilst wearing my sneakers when I was a preteen.  Took years for my toenail to grow back and "stay grown back" (i.e., attach to the nail bed/skin).  He's clearly got a good disposition!  

Also, someone in the family other than Jinger gets credit for paying attention to appropriate and stylish photographic backgrounds - I've seen better but I've also seen worse, and they're clearly going for the "woodland maenad/farmgirl" trope.  Maybe Joy has been reading high fashion magazines.  (Yes, I know what that looked like as soon as I wrote it; but attributing it to Austin seems a little wrong.)

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Abso-frickin'-lutely!  I had my toe stepped on by a horse whilst wearing my sneakers when I was a preteen.  Took years for my toenail to grow back and "stay grown back" (i.e., attach to the nail bed/skin). 

Ouch! Mine led to a hoof-shaped bruise that lasted for months. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I couldn't resist peeking at the comments and about died laughing at this one:

Someone doesn't get how the Duggar circus works.

Or how business, advertising and the internet work, either...  ;  )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Also, someone in the family other than Jinger gets credit for paying attention to appropriate and stylish photographic backgrounds - I've seen better but I've also seen worse, and they're clearly going for the "woodland maenad/farmgirl" trope.  Maybe Joy has been reading high fashion magazines.  (Yes, I know what that looked like as soon as I wrote it; but attributing it to Austin seems a little wrong.)

Well, I thought Joy's photo shoot on her mini-camping outing with Austin showed talent (I was the only one, as I recall.... but still ...). So maybe it's Joy. Those photos looked to me to have a real sense of atmosphere, and I see atmosphere here, too. She may have a bit of an artistic flair that's blossoming a little now that she's on her own.... 

My Pollyanna self is highly in favor of that for Joy. 

• Love 15
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Even without the horse, why is she walking barefoot on that ground in the first place? 

Because it's intended as a modeling shoot,  not just photos of Joy, I expect. The idea, I would guess, is to project an image of springtime that's carefree, romantic? Because that's an image that she -- or somebody -- figures is appropriate for selling a floral-print dress like that? 

I mean, we can say all we want -- It's dangerous to have no shoes on! But if this were actually a fashion ad in Marie Claire or Seventeen or The New Yorker or wherever -- the model would likely be barefoot. It's an ad -- attempting to sell a dress by selling a fantasy. 

Girl is barefoot, with a horse. C'mon....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11