Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

Even if Michelle taught them all about eating disorders, I'm not convinced Joy would know the word anorexia on sight or be able to puzzle it out on her own. So, I can totally buy her just zooming through her comments, not having the slightest idea what was said, even if she understands the concept in conversation. 

• Like 20

8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's crazy because I don't think Joy was trying to be uncaring or obtuse, I think she's genuinely that stupid she has no idea what anorexia is. 

Or what an appropriate response might be. 

• Like 13

8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's crazy because I don't think Joy was trying to be uncaring or obtuse, I think she's genuinely that stupid she has no idea what anorexia is. 

Or she just skimmed over the thing so fast -- looking for signs that somebody was interested in the product -- that she didn't even notice the person's introductory caveat. All she saw was "potential sale."

Wouldn't be an uncommon thing for somebody to do that when they get a message from somebody they don't know -- and they think they know what the message will say before they even look at it. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, JoanArc said:

It was diagnosed as acute hypoattention syndrome. She recovered.

For a second, I was going to google that and see what it is! lol! 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Yeah, I filed that one away with the "missing back muscle". The "Michelle suffered from bulimia" story only surfaced at the exact moment when the show's focus was shifting away from her and onto her courting/marrying/birthing daughters.

I bet she threw up one time in high school!

• Like 8

I don't think peddling products on social media is a very modest thing for these women to be doing. It's curious to me why they seem to have become online sales clerks all at once.

• Like 7

"Health Plan"?? I highly doubt that this is the healthy thing to do. On another note, why does Joy look like hell in this video? Wouldn't she be looking her best if this actually was a healthy thing to do? This is tacky and not modest of her and her sisters to schlep products online. JMHO

• Like 11

10 hours ago, floridamom said:

I don't think peddling products on social media is a very modest thing for these women to be doing. It's curious to me why they seem to have become online sales clerks all at once.

Right. Aren’t their headships supposed to be supporting them?

• Like 6

11 hours ago, floridamom said:

It doesn't bother me so much with the women, but with Jeremy I find it distasteful. As a Pastor he should be using social media to draw attention to the needy and promote worthy causes, not to score free swag. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Right. Aren’t their headships supposed to be supporting them?

We must stay frugal all the time, so we have extra money to give to their MLM scams!

• Like 8

I am so sorry, but "cutie pie" is the last descriptor I would use.  I had an instant impulse to look away.  That is a very unattractive child (I'll be praying that it is short term as I know everyone undergoes a lot of changes this early in life.

• Like 12

It's a bit odd that all of a sudden baby gates are a thing at the TTH. I think Jackson was around 2 when they moved in, so 5 babies toddled through that house which is more kids than the average family and only now with grandchildren gates seem to be needed. To me it shows just how careless and checked-out Michelle was. Kudos to the daughters for not trusting their young sisters with keeping their kids out of harms way.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, AngelinaMaria said:

I am so sorry, but "cutie pie" is the last descriptor I would use.  I had an instant impulse to look away.  That is a very unattractive child (I'll be praying that it is short term as I know everyone undergoes a lot of changes this early in life.

I feel bad for agreeing with you lol I have seen photos where he does look cute though, that is one unattractive photo. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Sorry, but who uses an adult sized metal fork to feed a baby Gideon's age? With the multitude of babies at that house for years now, don't they have child sized utensils from the baby department? That fork is too large and sharp for him. No sense at all; like Michelle, Mother of the Year" feeding I think, Jordan, laying down flat on the couch cushion. No sense at all and uncaring of them.

Michelle was using a big wooden spoon, too. WTF?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Sorry, but who uses an adult sized metal fork to feed a baby Gideon's age? With the multitude of babies at that house for years now, don't they have child sized utensils from the baby department? That fork is too large and sharp for him. No sense at all; like Michelle, Mother of the Year" feeding I think, Jordan, laying down flat on the couch cushion. No sense at all and uncaring of them.

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Michelle was using a big wooden spoon, too. WTF?

I didn't know they had metal cutlery. Don't they eat their meals off of Styrofoam™ plates and bowls, with plastic forks and spoons? Way to go, Duggars. Bring out the hyooge metal fork to poke food at the baby's mouth.

ETA: Somebody probably was feeding Gideon from their own fork. I hope it was Joy and he wasn't essentially swapping spit with some random person.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 10

I thought you were all being a bit harsh. But I'd only seen the first picture then. He's cute,  I think, in that one. Then I saw the second one (!)... not so cute. I actually shrieked when I swiped to the third one. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

I think Gideon is the cutest and goofiest looking kid ever. Especially when he smiles.  And I'm one that thinks a lot of babies are ugly.  Snotty noses are not so cute though.

• Like 21

6 hours ago, floridamom said:

The fork was the first thing I noticed in the picture.

A spoon, whether metal or plastic, would have been much easier. 

• Like 4

Remember when Henry was tiny, he had a disgruntled look and now he is quite an attractive child.

• Like 10

There's another mustard dress. Wtf is up with Austin's smile?

Edited by Lunera
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The caption does not fit Austin's body language at all. Joy's so in love and he looks like he's suffering through a bad blind date.

This is very true. There is joy in Joy's face (play on words), Austin looks like he would rather be doing anything else than holding onto his wife. 

• Like 9

With the outline around Austin's head, it looks like he's either a cardboard cutout or has been Photoshopped in.

• Like 14

Joy posted videos on IG stories showing off the house Austin is working on. It already has a for sale sign on the lawn. 

Screenshot_20190124-135202_Instagram-720x1280.thumb.jpg.7ab6ee3b11c0d9a077e34ce7a5f92259.jpgScreenshot_20190124-135209_Instagram_crop_720x920.thumb.jpg.e02cab399f49bd9668c2291b74bb34d2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

For some reason, the hashtag madly in love isn't very convincing

He is freaking grimacing!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

That picture was taken at the TT house. In all fairness, that's probably the face I'd make if I was at the main Duggar abode.  The house always looks like it smells like tater tot casserole, dirty hair, and teen/pre-teen howlers.  Austin has probably politely declined snacks Miracle pre-licked a few times before the picture was taken.  If they ate with the family, he probably stressed as he tried to find counter space to eat at that younger kids haven't used as walkways with their bare feet.  Plus, just being around JB & Mechelle probably causes that expression in most people.  

I'm going to give him a pass for grimacing in a pic taken at the big Duggar house and assume it has much more to do with his surroundings than anything to do with Joy (who can look "joyful" because she's used to the noise, etc at the big house). 

I’ll give you that. That is pretty much the face I make when I am at my in-law’s house. 

I digress. 

• Like 18
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Lunera said:

There's another mustard dress. Wtf is up with Austin's smile?

I'm pretty sure I've never seen his smile reach his eyes. .... not that I've looked closely at every picture, though....

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm pretty sure I've never seen his smile reach his eyes. .... not that I've looked closely at every picture, though....

THAT’S IT! That is what I was thinking! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, allonsyalice said:

For some reason, the hashtag madly in love isn't very convincing

His hand isn't even touching her!

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Honestly, he looks constipated.  

I get not being happy at the TTH, though.  What's in his left hand?

It appears to be a camo backpack, which suggests he just came from some sort of errand (maybe it's his man-purse?), or maybe construction/demo.  Which would disgruntle me too, if someone made me pose the minute I hit the door.  It could be employed as a diaper bag or similar, except I find it looks suspiciously understuffed for such a purpose.

Edited by queenanne
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It's a bit odd that all of a sudden baby gates are a thing at the TTH. I think Jackson was around 2 when they moved in, so 5 babies toddled through that house which is more kids than the average family and only now with grandchildren gates seem to be needed. To me it shows just how careless and checked-out Michelle was. Kudos to the daughters for not trusting their young sisters with keeping their kids out of harms way.

Another thing is using baby gates could be a very good sign that the new parents are refusing to completely follow Pearl. Pearl has a whole chapter on training babies so no baby gate is needed. He described "switching" his FIVE MONTH OLD daughter's legs every time she reached for the bottom step.  He did this repeatedly until she gave up.  He reminded us he was not punishing her but was instead training her.

• Like 12

Thinking about the blanket training, x amount of the older kids were blanket trained by Michelle. At some point I assume that task fell to the buddy team leader, who, again I assume, being just a child herself was not as diligent as Michelle 😞 in hitting babies. And once TLC and the camera crews came along, they may have nearly abandoned that abuse (I started to say that practice but let’s call a duck a duck). Remember someone knew to scrub Michelle’s posts about where to buy the rulers for the blanket training, so someone had enough of an idea it was wrong.

Anywho, while Jill May have been abused by the blanket training form of abuse, she may not have abused Joy to the same degree, and Joy may not have really even seen it done in practice. 

So maybe there is hope for Gideon.

• Like 14

I  think Austin is one of those guys who doesn’t like his photo taken or even being filmed, on counting on he doesn’t seem too comfortable with cameras around, I don’t blame him though if someone was filming everything I did, I’d feel so awkward and I don’t like getting my photo taken either I don’t look happy when people want a photo of me because it’s awkward lol. Also when is Austin gonna build a house for him & Joy? I would hate living in that camper van. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Like 14