Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, floridamom said:

Sorry, but who uses an adult sized metal fork to feed a baby Gideon's age? With the multitude of babies at that house for years now, don't they have child sized utensils from the baby department? That fork is too large and sharp for him. No sense at all; like Michelle, Mother of the Year" feeding I think, Jordan, laying down flat on the couch cushion. No sense at all and uncaring of them.

The fork was the first thing I noticed in the picture.

A spoon, whether metal or plastic, would have been much easier. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The caption does not fit Austin's body language at all. Joy's so in love and he looks like he's suffering through a bad blind date.

This is very true. There is joy in Joy's face (play on words), Austin looks like he would rather be doing anything else than holding onto his wife. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

That picture was taken at the TT house. In all fairness, that's probably the face I'd make if I was at the main Duggar abode.  The house always looks like it smells like tater tot casserole, dirty hair, and teen/pre-teen howlers.  Austin has probably politely declined snacks Miracle pre-licked a few times before the picture was taken.  If they ate with the family, he probably stressed as he tried to find counter space to eat at that younger kids haven't used as walkways with their bare feet.  Plus, just being around JB & Mechelle probably causes that expression in most people.  

I'm going to give him a pass for grimacing in a pic taken at the big Duggar house and assume it has much more to do with his surroundings than anything to do with Joy (who can look "joyful" because she's used to the noise, etc at the big house). 

I’ll give you that. That is pretty much the face I make when I am at my in-law’s house. 

I digress. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
38 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Honestly, he looks constipated.  

I get not being happy at the TTH, though.  What's in his left hand?

It appears to be a camo backpack, which suggests he just came from some sort of errand (maybe it's his man-purse?), or maybe construction/demo.  Which would disgruntle me too, if someone made me pose the minute I hit the door.  It could be employed as a diaper bag or similar, except I find it looks suspiciously understuffed for such a purpose.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It's a bit odd that all of a sudden baby gates are a thing at the TTH. I think Jackson was around 2 when they moved in, so 5 babies toddled through that house which is more kids than the average family and only now with grandchildren gates seem to be needed. To me it shows just how careless and checked-out Michelle was. Kudos to the daughters for not trusting their young sisters with keeping their kids out of harms way.

Another thing is using baby gates could be a very good sign that the new parents are refusing to completely follow Pearl. Pearl has a whole chapter on training babies so no baby gate is needed. He described "switching" his FIVE MONTH OLD daughter's legs every time she reached for the bottom step.  He did this repeatedly until she gave up.  He reminded us he was not punishing her but was instead training her.

• Love 12

Thinking about the blanket training, x amount of the older kids were blanket trained by Michelle. At some point I assume that task fell to the buddy team leader, who, again I assume, being just a child herself was not as diligent as Michelle 😞 in hitting babies. And once TLC and the camera crews came along, they may have nearly abandoned that abuse (I started to say that practice but let’s call a duck a duck). Remember someone knew to scrub Michelle’s posts about where to buy the rulers for the blanket training, so someone had enough of an idea it was wrong.

Anywho, while Jill May have been abused by the blanket training form of abuse, she may not have abused Joy to the same degree, and Joy may not have really even seen it done in practice. 

So maybe there is hope for Gideon.

• Love 14

I  think Austin is one of those guys who doesn’t like his photo taken or even being filmed, on counting on he doesn’t seem too comfortable with cameras around, I don’t blame him though if someone was filming everything I did, I’d feel so awkward and I don’t like getting my photo taken either I don’t look happy when people want a photo of me because it’s awkward lol. Also when is Austin gonna build a house for him & Joy? I would hate living in that camper van. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, Lunera said:

Joy posted videos on IG stories showing off the house Austin is working on. It already has a for sale sign on the lawn. 

Screenshot_20190124-135202_Instagram-720x1280.thumb.jpg.7ab6ee3b11c0d9a077e34ce7a5f92259.jpgScreenshot_20190124-135209_Instagram_crop_720x920.thumb.jpg.e02cab399f49bd9668c2291b74bb34d2.jpg

Is this a style? The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me, but maybe it's a thing? I can't recall seeing other houses like this.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, graefin said:

Is this a style? The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me, but maybe it's a thing? I can't recall seeing other houses like this.

I think they are maroon/dark red colored shutters.  We have many houses in our neighborhood with the gray/maroon combo. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, graefin said:

It looks like a natural wood to me. It somewhat matches the wooden (?) front door and the columns holding up the porch roof. A natural tone for the house would have matched better in my opinion. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

Something is going on with this bunch because they’re all scrambling to make grift money by endorsing products. Jill’s recipes, Joy’s diet supplement, Jinger’s clothes,hats for the baby, all with product info.,and lastly,Jana’s  SM.

. . . 

Like him or hate him, as I’ve said before, Austin is the only one married to a Duggar who has real job that isn’t tied to JB in some way, He seems to be a hard worker, and has another house ready to flip.

The Forsyths may be the only ones able to survive financially when the show goes down the drain.

I still think JB has something up his sleeve because unlike his children, he’s not lazy about finding ways to get the almighty dollar.

36 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I agree with you. I also think the Forsyths have the potential to be happiest after the show ends. They seem realistic about marriage, and aren't pretending that everything is soooo perfect and fun all the time. It seems like they realized early on it was going to be a big adjustment, and worked through those issues. Also, Austin is willing to put in the work, and joy never has to worry about where her next meal will come from. Also, joy seems rather easy to please, so she won't expect a lavish lifestyle. Plus she isn't in love with her social media presence  

Compare that to the rest, who have never had to work hard as adults, and have mainly vanity jobs that wouldn't pay the bills otherwise. Can you imagine how Jessa will feel if Bin can't keep her up in style? Much less, the meltdown Jinger and baaaabe will have. Everything might not look so perfect anymore. They will have a fit when they're wearing thrift store dresses again, and their social media followers are dropping like flies. For joy and Austin, though, life will just continue on when the show is cancelled. 

Brought this over from the Duggalos topic to reply. I agree, Joy seems to be low maintenance and happy to follow Austin's lead. And Austin has an income source independent of TLC - and actually of Boob, too. 

I also agree that Austin seems to hate being photographed or filmed. 

It's interesting to remember that Austin's family *volunteered* to appear on that faux reality TV show where they swapped parents or wives or something. They must have auditioned. I doubt that some producer went rambling around rural Arkansas just looking for a righteous family to feature on the show.

I suspect Pa Forsyth of lusting after fame and the teevee dollahs as much as JB, it's just that JB got there first and hit the jackpot. Austin doesn't seem to take to the camera so maybe he doesn't share that ambition. 

About Joy's "madly in love" (or words to that effect) IG post. That looks like something a 16 year old might post about her boyfriend, more than a married woman with a baby. Especially given Austin's distinctly un-smitten facial expression and body language in the picture she tagged that way. It reminds me of how socially stunted these kids are. Someone not raised in the Duggar bubble would have been over that stuff by now. Instead we get this stuff from Joy, and Jilly Muffin's #besthubbyever craziness. Sadder in Jill's case, IMO, than in Joy's.

• Love 17
12 hours ago, graefin said:

My friend recently sold her house and she couldn’t get any traffic through it until her real estate agent told her to paint everything gray.  It sold 3 days later. Maybe Austin is combining the gray trend with the wood chic era. 

• Love 8

You can say all the good things you want to about Austin, but he is not providing well for his wife and baby.  Joy and 11-month-old Gideon are living in a camper while Austin renovates houses for other people to live in.  The baby has no place to crawl around and soon will be walking.  There's no bedroom for the baby in that camper and it is probably just a matter of a few months before Joy is pregnant again.  Austin doesn't care about them at all.  The least he could do is buy a decent size mobile home for them to live in.  Of all the Duggar husbands, he is the worst in my opinion. 

• Love 20
13 hours ago, graefin said:

It’s a pretty popular Joanna Gaines combo (the wood on grey). He missed the mark slightly by going a little too dark with his paint but it might look lighter in person.  That would sell like a hot cake in my area.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Mollie said:

You can say all the good things you want to about Austin, but he is not providing well for his wife and baby.  Joy and 11-month-old Gideon are living in a camper while Austin renovates houses for other people to live in.  The baby has no place to crawl around and soon will be walking.  There's no bedroom for the baby in that camper and it is probably just a matter of a few months before Joy is pregnant again.  Austin doesn't care about them at all.  The least he could do is buy a decent size mobile home for them to live in.  Of all the Duggar husbands, he is the worst in my opinion. 

Yeah, I get the impression they're living flip to flip. If Austin was making a decent profit off these houses, they should've been able to buy something by now. Or, like you said, at least get a decent trailer. Also, what happens when the market is tapped out? There's only so many crappy re-do's in their price range. 

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the camper was a form of birth control, just like Jessa and Ben were using everyone in their room at night as their BC.

• Love 4

The brown shutters against the grayish exterior just look weird and mismatched to me

I just got home from walking the dog and one of the neighbors has just painted their house with that color combination.  I'm not a fan, but it isn't horrible.  It's better than lemon yellow or bright blue or green.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, I get the impression they're living flip to flip. If Austin was making a decent profit off these houses, they should've been able to buy something by now. Or, like you said, at least get a decent trailer. Also, what happens when the market is tapped out? There's only so many crappy re-do's in their price range. 

But Austin had to flip five houses before he could get married. Wasn’t that to be able to have a home for his family to live?!! What are they doing?

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But Austin had to flip five houses before he could get married. Wasn’t that to be able to have a home for his family to live?!! What are they doing?

Remember Joy had an emergency c-section.  They sold the property they were in pretty shortly after Gideon was born.  I wonder if it was to pay down some of that medical debt.  Austin’s the hardest working of the in-laws, but I bet he brought the least familial support to the table.

• Love 22
48 minutes ago, Saylii said:

Remember Joy had an emergency c-section.  They sold the property they were in pretty shortly after Gideon was born.  I wonder if it was to pay down some of that medical debt.  Austin’s the hardest working of the in-laws, but I bet he brought the least familial support to the table.

You’re right- I completly forgot about the c-section; and how much that can potentially cost a young couple. 

• Love 8
On 1/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, mimionthebeach said:

I thought you were all being a bit harsh. But I'd only seen the first picture then. He's cute,  I think, in that one. Then I saw the second one (!)... not so cute. I actually shrieked when I swiped to the third one. 

Aw..he looks like a little old man.

Screenshot_20190127-013404.jpg

• Love 4
1 hour ago, louannems said:

That Jackson.

Jackson puzzles me more than any of the other kids. By his age, all of his older brothers were separated from their sisters, put to work at one of JB's various enterprises and, if necessary, shipped off to Alert to have their spirit broken. Why is Jackson still treated like a child, allowed to goof off with his sisters, rarely photographed just standing around with his brothers and permitted to shamelessly mug for the camera? In the Duggars' philosophy, a child with an exuberant, attention-seeking personality is a child that needs to disciplined and beaten into conformity. 

• Love 18
38 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Jackson puzzles me more than any of the other kids. By his age, all of his older brothers were separated from their sisters, put to work at one of JB's various enterprises and, if necessary, shipped off to Alert to have their spirit broken. Why is Jackson still treated like a child, allowed to goof off with his sisters, rarely photographed just standing around with his brothers and permitted to shamelessly mug for the camera? In the Duggars' philosophy, a child with an exuberant, attention-seeking personality is a child that needs to disciplined and beaten into conformity. 

Jackson is the oldest of what I call the “little kids”- the kids all born after TLC came into the picture. He was the first one born on camera and will never know life without TLC comforts. I think because of this he’s treated like one of the lost girls, and is babied as the youngest boy. He and Johannah were tight as kids, and with everything else going on (Josh scandals and getting the kids married) JB & Michelle could care less about the kids Jackson on down (minus Josie). These kids were raised ENTIRELY by their buddies until the buddies left home. 

• Love 22
47 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

They are too busy marketing the rest to pay attention to what Jackson is up to. By the time they lose the TV show, figure out they aren't going to make the Balding Boy Band and Lost Girls a "thing", and have tried to Tetris all the growing families into various properties; Jackson is going to be donning a leather jacket and terrifying the residents of Tonitown on his motorcycle.

One can only hope. 

• Love 14
On 26/01/2019 at 3:49 PM, Albanyguy said:

The baby doesn't need room to crawl around. If he tries to move off his blanket, he'll be hit by a stick.

I do wonder if they are raising their kids the same as their parents did but who knows. 

• Love 6
On 1/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, Albanyguy said:

Why is Jackson still treated like a child, allowed to goof off with his sisters, rarely photographed just standing around with his brothers and permitted to shamelessly mug for the camera?

I think it's also because he is so small for his age that his parents subconsciously put him in the same category as J'Tyler, still young enough to hang around the Lost Girls.

Joy may not mind staying in an RV rather than living in a house. Clean up is easier and with only one baby, it's not really that cramped. It's when Gideon gets bigger and needs more space or more babies come along that it's not very practical.

• Love 8