Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Bread Week

• Start Topic

I thought both Pratchi's and Jeremiah's bake looked far too dark and crisp.  While attractive in design, I don't know if I'd want to eat something with a burnt taste.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that at times, when they say Pratchi's name, it sounds like "crotchy"?  My husband was in the other room and he came in and asked why anyone would call their child Crotchy.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I thought both Pratchi's and Jeremiah's bake looked far too dark and crisp.  While attractive in design, I don't know if I'd want to eat something with a burnt taste.

Mary said specifically that Pratchi's tasted fine. 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Darkness, or lack thereof, is a matter of taste, IMO. As long as something isn't obviously underbaked or definitely burnt, I don't think it should be an issue.

I also thought they looked dark, but think about soft pretzels sold in Philly or NYC. They are pretty dark too, and taste great.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Darkness, or lack thereof, is a matter of taste, IMO. As long as something isn't obviously underbaked or definitely burnt, I don't think it should be an issue.

Very much so.  I love to bake my baguettes darker than 'done.'  And my sugar cookies brown.  Both might be considered overdone in a competition but yumm....

• Love 2

Bread Week is my favorite competition but I must say (best Ed Grimley voice) that nothing wowed me this week.  In fact, Johnny going on about stollen being "his signature holiday thing" kind of irked me because he is Italian and stollen is German and not that one nationality can't claim another national thing as its thing but it bugged.

I would really like to try stollen because I love marzipan.

• Love 1

Bread Week is my favorite competition but I must say (best Ed Grimley voice) that nothing wowed me this week.  In fact, Johnny going on about stollen being "his signature holiday thing" kind of irked me because he is Italian and stollen is German and not that one nationality can't claim another national thing as its thing but it bugged.

I would really like to try stollen because I love marzipan.

Johnny is American not Italian. I'm sure you mean he is of Italian ancestry, but it irks me when people forget that nationality is different from heritage. Stollen is very popular in the Midwest and not just with people of German ancestry.

• Love 10

Also, and maybe it's well-known about Johnny, but knowing someone's last name doesn't actually tell you about the ethnic traditions they grew up with.  Mine don't "match" because I grew up with my maternal grandmother's tradition and my paternal grandfather's last name.

• Love 3

Plus he's a famous baker with oodles of experience, so whatever his personal traditions may be doesn't stop him from specializing in something else. Dude says stollen is his "signature", it can be just because he happens to love making it and/or does it really well and/or sold 35 truckloads of it or any number of other reasons.

• Love 3

There are many different recipes for Stollen and this is the first one I've seen with marzipan in the middle. I prefer it without, I think. I like marzipan, but I'm not sure I'd want it with a mouthful of fruity bread. However, after watching this last night, I must remember to get some from Trader Joe's today

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Sandiscot said:

There are many different recipes for Stollen and this is the first one I've seen with marzipan in the middle. I prefer it without, I think. I like marzipan, but I'm not sure I'd want it with a mouthful of fruity bread. However, after watching this last night, I must remember to get some from Trader Joe's today

Yeah, I've read quite a few recipes from both sides of the Atlantic and never seen marzipan.  Not sure I'd want it in the bread, much as I love marzipan: maybe make some marzipan decorations for the top?  That way I could still toast the leftover bread and have it with lots of best butter.....

• Love 2

I really like stollen. A friend of mine sends me one from Germany every year. Traditionally, many stollens do have marizpan. The one I get actually has it subtley placed in the centre area in the cake but not exactly wrapped up in a solid log. It's much better distributed. It's delicious.

At Christmas I usually get stolen from a local German place.  Their marzipan one has the marzipan spread throughout rather than in a log.  It's like a ribbon of marzipan.  So damn good. 

Every time Nia would say stah-lin, I would say Schtoe-len.  Somewhere I sense Dr. Muffyn was muttering Stole-len and he doesn't know why. 

• Love 1

I have never had a stollen with the marzipan rolled into a log like that.  I love marzipan, but I would think a solid lump like that would  be just too much. The ones I have always gotten (imported from Germany: military commissaries have some amazing imported goods around the holidays!) have had the marzipan spread in a thin ribbon.  Yummy!

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Love 1

FYI - In one of the GBBO Masterclass episodes that have been aired higgledy-piggledy depending on your local PBS station, Paul Hollywood does his version of a stollen.  He rolls the marzipan into a flat sheet that he lays on the dough before he rolls it.  

Edited by Quilt Fairy