Type keyword(s) to search

Trader Joe's

Spunkygal
  • Start Topic

At a volunteer appreciation function at school today, someone dumped TJ’s pineapple salsa over softened cream cheese to go with crackers. I enjoyed it much more than the regular salsa over cream cheese that I’ve had many times and can imagine several ways to use the pineapple salsa. Will definitely get some on my next trip.

• Useful 1

My boyfriend brought home some of their jalapeño sauce and it’s addictive over poached eggs when the yolk and sauce combine it’s kind of like a spicy (though it’s actually very mild) hollandaise sauce.

I ran into TJ's Tunisian Harissa at the sample counter last week and loved it.  I'd never had harissa before so can't compare this to other versions -- spicier than I expected, a pleasant surprise. 

(edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 4:21 PM, biakbiak said:

My boyfriend brought home some of their jalapeño sauce and it’s addictive over poached eggs when the yolk and sauce combine it’s kind of like a spicy (though it’s actually very mild) hollandaise sauce.

The Green Dragon sauce? That stuff is awesome. I love it on eggs, too.

2 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

I ran into TJ's Tunisian Harissa at the sample counter last week and loved it.  I'd never had harissa before so can't compare this to other versions -- spicier than I expected, a pleasant surprise. 

I misread that as “Tuna Harissa” and thought “hmm, harissa on tuna... sounds good!”

My TJ’s is right near my house, so I’m able to go pretty frequently and get staples like Greek yogurt and berries. I love the cheese department—so much good cheese for reasonable prices! 

I do get a little bummed by the “seasonality” of some items. Every year around November, I start looking out for the Scalloped Cracker Trio—chili, garlic, and rosemary crackers. They’re so good and there’s no real reason for them to be seasonal... it’s not like they are pumpkin or peppermint, or shaped like Christmas trees, or made from seasonal produce. 

Edited by ivygirl
1 minute ago, ivygirl said:

I misread that as “Tuna Harissa” and thought “hmm, harissa on tuna... sounds good!”

Having just discovered harissa, it's sounding good to me on practically anything.  I hadn't thought of tuna, but of course!  Also egg salad, scrambled eggs, devilled eggs, eggplant -- you get the idea....

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

The Green Dragon sauce? That stuff is awesome.

No. It’s new Tjs Jalapeño Pepper Sauce

1 minute ago, fairffaxx said:

Having just discovered harissa, it's sounding good to me on practically anything.  I hadn't thought of tuna, but of course!  Also egg salad, scrambled eggs, devilled eggs, eggplant -- you get the idea....

Harissa is used a lot in North African dishes. I use it a lot so just make a big batch of my own.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Harissa is used a lot in North African dishes.

There are at least 2 Middle Eastern markets in my area and I must have seen it there, just never tried it.  The Trader Joe's product may well be a tame "gringo" version of the real thing, but I'm glad to be introduced to it -- good stuff, I look forward to branching out.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:21 PM, biakbiak said:

On 5/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, biakbiak said:

No. It’s new Tjs Jalapeño Pepper Sauce

On 5/25/2019 at 10:33 PM, ivygirl said:

Oh, I saw that last time I was there too. 

If you've ever been to Taco Deli, which is chain that's mostly around Austin, TJ's jalapeno pepper sauce is essentially Taco Deli's dona salsa. A lot of places around central Texas have a creamy green salsa (El Pollo Rico, Chuy's though it has sour cream in it, HEB's That Green Sauce is a lot like Chuy's, and many of the taco trucks and trailers have a creamy green salsa). I loved the dona salsa so much that every Monday, I'd get two two tacos to go and 8 condiment size containers of dona. They finally started selling it. I bought the TJ's sauce. It's not as good as the dona, but it's still pretty darn good. I use the sauce on everything.

World Market usually carries harissa.

• Love 2

Hmmm...Trader Joe's.  Haven't been there in a while and need to go because last year at this time they had several cartons (sitting outside) of various sizes of squash and pumpkins for (I think) decorative purposes.  That's what I did last year...had several small and medium size for decor on the front stoop and loved them, esp the green pumpkin!  Gotta go back this week and see if I can score some more (plus some Guilt Free Mac & Cheese, and those wonderful plain pork tenderloins that are sooooo tender, and some San Francisco sourdough bread, and the gluten free chocolate cupcakes!)  I don't need gluten free but they are so outstandingly delicious with that buttercream frosting.

• Love 2

I dealt with the shitty parking lot to make my annual trip into TJ's to get edible Christmas gifts this afternoon.  I came out highly unamused. 

First, I went to grab the tub of dark chocolate peanut butter cups for my dad, and the bag of them for me -- I can't have those things around and not eat them, so I get myself the bag of nine.  Except, they apparently no longer sell the bags; I didn't ask anyone to confirm, but there was no slot/label for them.

Then I went to get his Kona coffee beans.  Same thing - none out, and no slot or label, either.  This time I did ask, and after the employee looked it up in the computer, I was told TJ's is no longer carrying it.  They did this quite a few years ago, and then brought it back by either the next year or the year after.  Hopefully they'll do the same (it's a great deal on actual Kona beans), but in the interim I had to buy costlier beans online, from the meager selection of those that would arrive by Christmas.

Probably because I was irritated, nothing else jumped out at me, and I left with just the tub of peanut butter cups.  Only the knowledge I'd have to go back and get him another one will keep me from breaking into it.  I should have just bought myself a tub; unlike with chips, I have impulse control with sweets.  Those things are so damn good.

I was making spicy fried chicken sandwiches and on a whim I used   Tj’s Everything but the Elote to the flour and it was a taste sensation! Will definitely will be doing again.

• Useful 1

From Fort Wayne’s NBC: Fort Wayne (IN)’s First Trader Joe’s to Open at 8AM (Eastern) October 9th

I think October 9th is this Friday, in case this would be a close-by TJ’s for anyone reading this. The store is in our Jefferson Pointe outdoor “lifestyle center” type shopping mall (to be clear, this is NOT an outlet mall). It’s next to the DeBrand Chocolates store at the mall. The actual address is in the linked news item. They’re still looking for workers, but you have to go to the store to apply; online applications aren’t being accepted. More info on employment applications & wages are in the linked news item.

• Love 1

I recently was at TJ's and bought a bag of those cute little bagels and a small pkg of smoked salmon. I toasted a bagel lightly, smeared on some cream cheese, added some salmon and yum!  I then had a second one.. Normally,  a regular size bagel, with cream cheese & salmon, would make me feel over-stuffed. These two mini bagels were just enough.

• Love 4

I love a lot of the Trader Joe's brand stuff, but lately I've been gravitating more to their "cousin" STORE, ALDI (they distantly have a common origin, through different branches of the same family). TJ is just too crowded, and while the prices aren't bad, ALDI definitely has them beat there for many very similar items, of pretty similar quality. 

I keep meaning to get to LIDL, yet a third chain with similar heritage (a different family in this case, but the same concept--perfecting the idea of private labeling), but the one they planned building near me got Pandemic Delayed. The next nearest is too far. 

54 minutes ago, Kromm said:

54 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I keep meaning to get to LIDL, yet a third chain with similar heritage (a different family in this case, but the same concept--perfecting the idea of private labeling), but the one they planned building near me got Pandemic Delayed. The next nearest is too far. 

I too keep meaning to get to Lidl (how is Lidl pronounced: leedle or li--del?). The ads are so appealing. I thought it was connected/related  to Aldi somehow.

An ALDI opened near me about two years ago and I have been in twice. First of all, the store is freezing cold for no particular reason (no relationship to the weather outside). And all the produce looks terrible and the meat super cheap cuts. They don't have anything I can't get at other stores and there are aisles full of trashy shoes and weird household goods (like a Kmart rented some space in the middle of the store). From driving by, it apparently is attracting plenty of customers but I won't be going back. The Trader Joe's near me is still limiting the numbers of people allowed inside and strictly (but pleasantly) enforcing mask wearing which is nice so I go there. I do miss the snacks though!

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I too keep meaning to get to Lidl (how is Lidl pronounced: leedle or li--del?). The ads are so appealing.

We were supposed to get a Lidl around here somewhere, but it fell through.  The radio ads told me that it's pronounced leedle.

• Love 1

We got a Lidl here a few months ago. I haven't gone yet. My eyesight is terrible. I'm having my first cataract surgery in June. I've been sticking to my regular store where I know where everything is. I'll give it a try when I can read signs and labels again.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

We got a Lidl here a few months ago. I haven't gone yet. My eyesight is terrible. I'm having my first cataract surgery in June. I've been sticking to my regular store where I know where everything is. I'll give it a try when I can read signs and labels again.

I had cataract surgery on my left eye several years ago. When I went down to the kitchen the next morning, I was stunned at how light the room was. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Best wishes! I’m not too far behind you on this. 

My boyfriend does most of the Tjs shopping and will bring home random things that make me ask why? In this case ube mochi pancake mix because neither of us are huge pancake fans and I probably make them like once or twice a year when I need to use up blueberries or ricotta and I am not a fan of mochi (though only from a textural standpoint) but I hate wasting things so made some this morning and  they were absolutely delicious! 

• Love 1

I plan to go to TJ's on Wednesday to get that cinnamon coffee cake, and the gluten-free chocolate cupcakes for my Thursday AM coffee group's first in-person gathering since the shutdown in March 2020. I don't need g-f, but those cupcakes w/ buttercream frosting are so delicious.

• Love 1

I made a complete 'novelty food' run to TJs this past week.  Got their crispy jalapeno pieces, frozen assorted macarons, frozen almond croissants (I love these, you let them set out overnight, they proof up to three times their size and you pop them into the oven in the morning and voila hot almond croissants), scallion pancakes, buffalo chicken poppers, and a few more things....

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 5/1/2021 at 7:12 PM, chessiegal said:

I just learned that Aldi owns TJ. I don’t like these limited markets. I posted on Lidl (pronounced Leedle) in pet peeves a while ago.  What is your region?  Mine is Long Island. It’s a horrible store. It replaced our normal supermarket, a small chain that sold out to Lidl. It has such limited merchandise you can’t buy what you want. Now I have to drive farther to go to another store. 
Did you ever try the Lidl?  How did your cataract surgery go?  I had it last year and it was a great success. 

7 hours ago, GussieK said:

Did you ever try the Lidl?  How did your cataract surgery go?  I had it last year and it was a great success. 

I live in the Annapolis, MD area which is where the Lidl is. It replaced a Shoppers Food Warehouse that I never went to. I still haven't been there. First cataract surgery went great. I'm getting my left eye done tomorrow. Looking forward to having 20/20 vision for the first time in 60 years.

• Love 1

I just made the TJ's cinnamon rolls & they are delicious! They don't have that strange taste that the Pillsbury brand has. I put a little cream cheese in the frosting and nuked it. Very delicious! 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

TJs crescent rolls are superior to Pillsbury as well.

Been stocking up on halloumi cheese—it’ll be good for a year and for whatever reason, TJ’s considers it a seasonal food. It’s remarkable on a little hibachi but also delicious sautéed in a non-stick skillet. 

Those assorted macarons were surprisingly good. And their par-baked little baguettes are a treat—straight from the freezer to the toaster oven. 

• Love 1

I made my annual TJ's trip to pick up holiday treats Friday and they had gingerbread sandwich cookies out for tasting.  Yum!  The serving size of one cookie is actually accurate this time, as they are really sweet.  I don't normally like things that sweet, but something about this hit the spot.  On top of that, the vanilla frosting has cream cheese, which I hate, yet I still liked the cookie.  (It's a Christmas miracle!)  These would be great to put out at a holiday party, or to take to a holiday party as a gift for the host. 

(I like the flavor of their triple ginger snap cookies better - more ginger - but don't like the texture; in my world, crisp is for crackers and chips, while cookies should be soft.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
On 12/18/2022 at 2:15 PM, Bastet said:

I made my annual TJ's trip to pick up holiday treats Friday and they had gingerbread sandwich cookies out for tasting.  Yum!  The serving size of one cookie is actually accurate this time, as they are really sweet.  I don't normally like things that sweet, but something about this hit the spot.  On top of that, the vanilla frosting has cream cheese, which I hate, yet I still liked the cookie.  (It's a Christmas miracle!)  These would be great to put out at a holiday party, or to take to a holiday party as a gift for the host. 

(I like the flavor of their triple ginger snap cookies better - more ginger - but don't like the texture; in my world, crisp is for crackers and chips, while cookies should be soft.)

I always buy a few boxes. I love them!

$70 bought me 2 light bags.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, oliviabenson said:

I’m in love and need more of:

cannoli dip

cream puffs 

beef birria taco meat 

Burrata 

Of those I have only tried the cream puffs, but they are amazing, I agree! I also find Trader Joe's tuna salad one of the best already prepared tuna salads around so I always get it when I'm there. They also still have the best price on eggs in California (we are around $7 a dozen at most stores!! and I was able to get a dozen large brown for $4.99 there a couple of days ago).

• Useful 1

Well, this egg discussion has sent me to look at my receipt from 1/4 where I bought a dozen Eggland's Best extra large eggs - regular price $3.99, and got a discount of $.49 with final price of $3.50. This was at my regular grocery store. I'm in Maryland near Annapolis.

Edited by chessiegal
36 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Well, this egg discussion has sent me to look at my receipt from 1/4 where I bought a dozen Eggland's Best extra large eggs - regular price $3.99, and got a discount of $.49 with final price of $3.50. This was at my regular grocery store. I'm in Maryland near Annapolis.

That's really good, especially for Eggland's. Our local/regional grocer is sneaking up on $5.00/dozen for large eggs (generic), local Walmart is just shy of $4.00 for same.  Both of these have been trending upward for a few weeks.  Far northern Indiana.  150-200 miles in any direction from a big city.

Our nearest TJ's is 15 mi. away, and one of these days, I'll set off on a field trip, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

Regular eggs are $5 in TJ. I bought organic eggs in Target at $5. 

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Of those I have only tried the cream puffs, but they are amazing, I agree! I also find Trader Joe's tuna salad one of the best already prepared tuna salads around so I always get it when I'm there. They also still have the best price on eggs in California (we are around $7 a dozen at most stores!! and I was able to get a dozen large brown for $4.99 there a couple of days ago).

One near me does not sell tuna salad. Just the tuna wrap. The wrap is okay has a lot of filling.

I went to TJs to pick up some rice (their jasmine rice always cooks perfectly for me) so of course I had to check out the rest of the store for something interesting. They had frozen sfogliatelle. I baked one this morning to have with my coffee. Damn it was good. Almost as good as one I could get at an Italian bakery. 10/10 would buy again (which means I'll probably never be able to find them again.)

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

The almond croissants are delicious. *But* you have to take them out and place on the baking sheet 9 hours ahead (so, maybe  overnight?) I cheated a bit with the time and put them out at noon. They really plump up. Baked them during dinner and had them for dessert.

Sorry if this has come up before, but does anyone else find the veggie and flax seed chips too thick and kind of stale tasting?

I'm eating them because I don't like waste, but I think I'll put them back in the cupboard and repurpose them at some point.