Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E01: Business, Brand, Boss

4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I don't subscribe to the level of cable service that has VH1.  Can anyone tell me how to watch this series??

I'd like to know also. Our cable no longer carries the channel. Hulu has older seasons, so I am hoping to see this season.

3 hours ago, auntlada said:

I'd like to know also. Our cable no longer carries the channel. Hulu has older seasons, so I am hoping to see this season.

There's usually bootleg episodes uploaded on YouTube a day or two after.

8 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

I don't subscribe to the level of cable service that has VH1.  Can anyone tell me how to watch this series??

I miss Potes...RIP Twop lol

• Love 7

I watched and loved the new format! It seems more edgy and fresh. Tyra had to make an appearance of course and there was a lot of girl drama, but I liked the look of the girls picked. The drama of transgender? Kyle and Starr was cut short when Starr didn't get in, so thank God for that. The German designer was suitably nasty and terrible to all the girls and he made me happy.

I can not wait for makeovers!! I hope they keep that episode intact.

I am in for the season

• Love 12

So Ashley Graham must be representing for the fiercely real girls cause none of the contestants are lol. 

Digging the new format. Looks like an upgrade. These girls actually look like models and some of them actually are. Smart move to VH1.

• Love 7

I was wondering if viewers would be sad without Tyra, because I was not.  I never got tired of looking at Tyra's photos and loved the tiny little segments when she was photographing and gave excellent professional advice about posing, but yeowch, this thing had just turned more and more into Showcase Tyra over the last few years, alternating with soap opera.  It may be shifting back to modeling!  Eliminating trans mean-girl woman and "ready for my showmance" woman were two very encouraging signs.

I thought all these woman had fairly interesting looks (except there's one with squinty eyes that I don't really cotton to.) 

It's still a little bit odd when 25-year olds are trying to break into modeling.  Aren't the fresh faces still around 15 or 16?

I'm not really sure about this new element that a successful model will have some other entrepreneurial enterprise going on in addition to catching your eye on the page or being able to show off the clothes to their best advantage on the catwalk, but okay, maybe, whatever.  I'd rather hear about that than "who's hooking up in the house."

The woman whose mother is a model is stunning.  Based on just the first episode, it's hers to lose.

The stylist is ever so much more awesome when he just stands there looking hot and doesn't speak.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

I haven't watched ANTM in years. The revamp is long over due. I'm thrilled they are filming in NYC---a city that is important to the real modeling industry, as opposed to some of the out-of-the-way places they've been in the past. I'm dismayed that a number of the girls are too short or too old to take seriously--- Giah (5'6 & 7/8ths), the twins (26) & the African lady (25) for sure, but I have my suspicions about some others.

The girl whose mother is a model stood out to me the most at first. (**Squee! I totally remember her mom from the top magazines back in the day! Lol, I'm old.) However, upon rewatch, her walk was weak & she didn't look so great in the talking head with her hair straightened. With the contacts her mother must have, I don't think she needs the show, soo....hmmm....

I also really liked India. I don't think her working in the wrong markets means she's less serious about modeling (or whatever the judges said). I think she was just young & got some bad advice. I think her happy, easy-going personality will serve her well. Hard-luck backstories make for compelling tv, but clients don't want to book a girl who seems to be carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders.

I also liked the girl with the eyebrows. Her picture was stunning. She seems a little fragile though. I was happy the other girls supported her on the bus during the fight. And I was happy the mean girl got the ax.

And, I also liked the model from NYC with the short, curly afro, who knew a lot about the client. Her body was perfect, but her face didn't really pop in her picture.

As a woman, Giah's a ten! The hair, the face, the body, the bright personality--- but, she's too short & she just doesn't look like a model to me. I think she should take some acting classes.

The African lady is so striking in person, but her photograph was the weakest. I think she'll be a good runway girl.

The twins. *sigh!* Looking like "no-neck monsters" (quoting Miss Jay, who was quoting "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" back in the day) with those chokers. And they don't look fresh to me either. I'd like to see them with better makeup.

The Instagram model looked a little cheap, but she was working the hell out of her AA cleavage! I'm not mad. She'll add to her 50,000 followers from being on the show, so it's already a win for her.

The Asian girl is a diamond in the rough, pretty face, amazing body, but no clue what to do with any of it. Um, girl? Call your momma!

The androgynous girl was cute & all, but Ruby Rose she is not.

The only other girl I remember is the youngest one with the full lips. I agree with judge Ashley, I'd like to see her in less makeup.

Ashley's facial expressions during judging panel were cracking me up! The judges were all cool... I noticed the one guy kept nervously fondling his wig. I might have liked the one "mean" client to have been a judge. He was harsh, but he was being cruel to be kind. It's actually easier to just smile sweetly & not book the girl & she has no idea why.

Whew! I started typing thinking I didn't have much to say!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, NowVoyager said:

Whew! I started typing thinking I didn't have much to say!

I'm glad it all spilled out, though--I agreed with everything you said!  (Forgot about eyebrows.  Loved.)

Agree that the mean designer was probably a better learning experience, in the long run, than the nice one.

One prototype I'm missing is the towering stringbean who's all knobby disconnected angles in person but turns into a knockout in photographs.

• Love 3

There are some clear frontrunners in this group (Tatiana, Binta, Kyle) and some clear cannon fodder (Justine, Cherish, CherylAnne, Giah) but this was mostly a decent group, with the real shit-stirrers and crap models actually cut for a change.  I am surprised, though, at how trashy some of them dressed for what they were told would be an industry party.

I'm not sure yet that Rita Ora and Law Roach add much to the panel, but Ashley Graham is the bomb.  And I loved the harshness of the German designer.  Yeah, he was mean, but I imagine that real models run into casting directors who are that harsh a lot, at least when they're starting out.

I loved the juxtaposition of Quei dissing Courtney's "Chia Pet" eyebrows in a 'coming up on ANTM' promo with the Rimmel mascara commercial featuring Cara Delevigne and her almost as Chia Pet-like eyebrows.  I saw Courtney and said to the cat "she'll make it because big eyebrows are in right now".

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I haven't watched this show in YEARS but tuned back in last night for the revamp mostly because I went to high school with one of the judges so I couldn't look away.  I think I'll stick around at least for a few more episodes. I do like the mostly Tyra-free format. She got so tiresome after a while.  I'm not sure how I feel about Rita Ora as a host, hopefully she'll settle into the role of host/mentor a bit more as the episodes go. But she's not annoying at least.

Color me surprised that they cut the bitchy girl (whose name I don't remember but didn't it start with a Q?) and the girl hung up on Kyle. Both of them seemed ripe for all the drama that shows like this loooooove. I'm sure there'll be plenty of drama without them.

Kyle is gorgeous, she's my favorite at the moment. 

• Love 2

I was turned off by how thirsty the models were. Just like with airlines, limit your baggage ladies. When the one contestant started sobbing about her "hard knocks" backstory and Rita Ora (who?) one-upped her with a more sobworthy background, I laughed so hard. At least it wasn't as brutal as if she'd said "hard knocks stories are a lazy, overused brand. And it's not 'boss' (whatever that is). Find something else."

I also yelled at the TV when the girl flubbed the question about why she was there. The easy recovery would've been to say she started modeling to pay for her travels but somewhere along the way she fell in love with modeling and wanted to commit to it.

Eyebrows: too unkempt. Didn't deserve to be picked on though. Glad that drama was nipped in the bud.

Also glad the burgeoning showmance was nipped in the bud. If I want relationship drama I watch DeGrassi.

• Love 5

I'd prefer if eyebrows had hair that matched her brows.  That look always reads phony to me.  I haven't been able to see the epi because all the links seem to be disabled so I'm just reading the recaps.  I do wish Tyra would stop picking hamsters that are too old and too short.  A couple of the semis would have been better potential wise than some who actually made it into the house.  I also hope that the twins aren't going to be joined at the hip for every single thing during this cycle because how likely is that in the real world?

As for Kyle, meh.  Also, Law Roach needs to never talk.

• Love 1

I really liked the episode! I think all the hamsters look better in motion tbh.

Justine's walk is HORRIBLE. Reminded me of C10 Lauren's or C12 Allison's. "You walk like a whore" LMAO. That wasn't in the actual episode was it? That took me to back to Ho Style Catie.

Rita was very pleasant as a host. She wasn't stiff or boring but there's room for improvement. Ashley crying made LOL hard.

• Love 1

That was better than expected for a casting episode, so glad they condensed it to just one casting episode instead of the 3 we got last season. IMO Marissa ( the one born to the teen mom) got the winner edit but the editors might be fooling me.

Giah the country girl reminds me of a young Nia Long she's not a high fashion model but she's very cute and endearing.

• Love 2

Just watched on the VH1 website after stopping early in the first mixed-gender season (too many reasons to count). I didn't hate it. Of course, the season is young. :) Still too many "this person is a top model prospect?!" in the final 14, but they aren't the worst bunch ever cast. Also not the worst judging panel cast. I liked the go-sees as part of the selection process. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Arynm said:

The German designer was suitably nasty and terrible to all the girls and he made me happy.

Loved that too!  There were so many fun, silly moments. I'm looking forward to the season.  Rita Ora was likable and a bit better at reading the teleprompter than Tyra was.

Was that bouncer at the fake club an actor?  He was so hilariously deadpan.  Making Giah spell her name twice, ha!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Saintz said:

I really liked the episode! I think all the hamsters look better in motion tbh.

Justine's walk is HORRIBLE. Reminded me of C10 Lauren's or C12 Allison's. "You walk like a whore" LMAO. That wasn't in the actual episode was it? That took me to back to Ho Style Catie.

Man, cycle 2 was great. 

• Love 2

I was pleasantly surprised. It felt more like old school ANTM. I noticed, too, that On Demand it is listed under A for America's Next Top Model where the past few seasons have been under T for just Top Model. So another sign that it is returning to it's roots?

I have no idea who this Rita Ora chick is, but I liked her well enough. She seems pleasant and has a nice voice. The whole judging panel seemed engaged and not checked out like the old crew (understandable, if I had to watch Tyra's antics day in and day out I'd check out too). The hamsters seem mostly more modelesque than the past few seasons and it gives me hope that Star was it, the one who fell in love at first sight, and Qwhatever, the self proclaimed bitch were dumped in the first ep rather than being strung along for the drama.

I actually liked more girls than I disliked, which is also refreshing. The one's I'm not keen on right off are the twins, not entirely their fault but the twins schtick is annoying as fuck, the redhead, Cherish really just rubbed me the wrong way but I can't quite put my finger on it. That's really it right now. I'm sure I'll end up hating more of them, but for now I'm pleased with our choices.

I kind of loved the bouncer. He was having a blast playing his role. "could you spell that?" "last name please?" it was great.

And again, I am soooooooooo freaking happy Star didn't make it. the histrionics were unbearable.

I'm happy my guilty pleasure is back.

• Love 5

BRAND. NEW. HAMSTERS!!! 

Rita Ora has done nothing to me, but I dislike her simply because her accent (while real) reminds me of Maddona's "British" years. 

Giha is giving me YaYa vibes, looks wise. 

Cherish seems kind of....I don't know, grimy looking?

I CANNOT take an entire season of those twins. 

The young lady from Gambia is REGAL. Shades of Grace Jones. 

The stylist on the panel...Mr. Roach (?) looks like he got his hair braided on the prison yard. 

See y'all next week! I'm very excite!

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 2

Just watched on demand and I admit it was pretty GOOD! I thought the "love at first sight" whiner and the mean transwoman with awful weave had planned their "Drama" knowing in past seasons they would have lasted a few episodes haha

I liked the young girl who talked about her Mom was 15 blah blah (stop please). . I thought her photo was stunning

Least favorite....the Twins. Tyra had twins on many mnay seasons ago and I disliked them too. Just a weird twist and IMO unfair.

• Love 3

The girl that was overly bubbly, I kind of liked her because instead of giving a sob story, she listed off her accomplishments.  She actually did stuff.  I'd rather hear what someone has done than a bunch of ugly-crying because mommy gave birth at 10-years-old and then was abandoned to be raised by wolves. 

The twins are annoying.  Please tell me they're going to get eliminated in a manner befitting The Shining.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 11

Yeesh, that was cheap and rough.  A lot of trainwrecks in that group and not a lot of model potential, including on the judging panel!  I was a fan of Ashley Graham up until I watched this episode; she is not attractive outside of her modelling pics.

And I was hoping to be spared from Tyra and her BS-slogan-of-the-season-which-makes-no-sense, which is apparently "Brand" this year.  No such luck.

I was entertained by Rita Ora spouting off about her brand and how popular she is.  I've never heard of her and have no idea who/what she is.  Except someone who is fairly devoid of any kind of charm or personality.

Rough.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought he said she walked like a horse.  Which she did.

Oh boo, well horse is still pretty funny.  This is what happens when I watch this show while doing something else :P

• Love 1

I really liked this, guys! Like others, I was bothered by the whole branding and "models have to be a business brand boss" crap, but otherwise, I thought it was great. The modeling potential of the finalists is, for the most part, sooo much better than any of the previous cycles that it's almost shocking. I'll miss crazy ass Tyra and her antics, but I'm looking forward to this season.

Edited by Zima
  • Love 2
  On 12/12/2016 at 8:33 PM, auntlada said:

There's usually bootleg episodes uploaded on YouTube a day or two after.

On 12/12/2016 at 3:36 PM, WhineandCheez said:

I miss Potes...RIP Twop lol

I miss Potes too! She sometimes will write about it on other sites randomly. She made me stick with this show for years

• Love 2

I get why they want to have a theme for the season, and beat us over the heads throughout. However all of this "Business, Brand, Boss" nonsense seems a poor fit. Tyra is all of those things. Rita is too (I assume. I don't know anything about her.) But they worked for those things and have achieved a certain level of success.

The women competing on this show couldn't be any farther from that, and instead of interpreting the theme as something to aspire to, several are strutting around as if they're already there. Look at me! Look how special I am. The fact that I even exist makes me extraordinary! Except for the one with skin products, none of the rest of them seem to be doing anything particularly interesting, strategic or worthy of admiration.

I don't like that Ashley model lady. I can't really put my finger on why, except perhaps her lack of humility/seeming overblown sense of importance. I get that lots of people think that being the first non-skinny model on the cover of SI is a big thing. But I'm more impressed by quiet success and confidence, as opposed to banner waving so everyone pays attention to whatever you've done.

I don't guess she'll be doing any mentoring this season. I wonder who is going to fill that role. Or are they just going to let the contestants flounder around?

Also, someone correct me, but those weren't comp cards, where they? Those were head shots.

• Love 2

I think the overwhelming thing that bugged me in this episode was Ashley Graham's hair during judging.  That was just bad!  That's the hairstyle I have when I have to get up at 5am for work and I just scrape my hair back, shove food in my mouth, and then fall out of my apartment to go to work.  It's not really a hairstyle; more an act of surrender.

• Love 2

I am loving this cycle so far. The girls are back to being bitchy, too old, or deluded, and there are even some actual modelesque ones in the mix.

The new judge's panel is great so far. Glad they got rid of Kelly Cutrone and Bryan Boy, as well as the social media voting.

My top 3 so far are: blonde girl with the bushy eyebrows, Kyle the androgynous lesbian, and the stunning Asian girl.

Rita Ora is okay, I guess. I would have preferred an actual model host the show but at least she seems nice.

So the winner gets a 1-year VH1 deal instead of a modeling contract? Also, the endorsement deal is for a British cosmetics brand? Is Rimmel London even sold in the US? Also, love that bitchy German designer and LaQuan Smith!

• Love 2

Rimmel is sold in most drugstores across Canada, so I assume it's also available in the States. To me, it's just as popular as Revlon or Maybeline, and their ads are pretty big. It's nothing to sneeze at if they get a major campaign with Rimmel (though they'll probably just get a single ad that will be used on some hidden website page that no one will ever see).

I really love India's look. India and eyebrow girl (Courtney?) look the most modelesque to me. The others look like Instagram models - pretty girls with nice bodies, but not for editorial. I like Tatianna's attitude and look, but she's very commercial. Ditto Marissa - didn't care for her sob story, but I like her overall. Cherish could maybe pull off high fashion, but she needs to get her skin and personal style in check. Giah is the most non-model of the bunch, and I don't even think she's attractive at all. Her personality also comes off as contrived for TV, so not digging her. Equally do not see Justine's appeal, and she has zero charisma - had higher hopes for the "token Asian".

I don't know who is behind trying to make Rita Ora happen in the US - I feel like the industry has been pushing her on to the North American market for the last couple of years, despite us making it clear we aren't interested. She's ok - she's pretty and she speaks well, but I fail to see how she's qualified to judge a modeling competition (I can't believe I wrote that with a straight face). I like the other judges though.

I think they rolled out the "be a boss" theme because they know the only success these girls will have is on social media, shilling products on Instagram. North American audiences have lost interest in high fashion modeling - most can't name any working models other than Kendal Jenner and Gigi Hadid.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mattipoo said:

<snip>

So the winner gets a 1-year VH1 deal instead of a modeling contract? Also, the endorsement deal is for a British cosmetics brand? Is Rimmel London even sold in the US? <snip>

The total prize package includes $100,000.00, a Rimmel London commercial (TV ad) a Paper magazine editorial, and a 1-year talent contract with VH1.

Rimmel is one of the bigger "drugstore makeup" brands in the U.S., sold in most CVS stores as well as other retail outlets. Kate Moss and Georgia May Jagger (daughter of Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall) have both modeled for Rimmel (print and TV ads).

F.Y.I. - Editorial modeling (modeling for the cover of a magazine, or a fashion spread inside a magazine) pays practically nothing. Models make their money doing commercial work (print and TV ads) and catalog work. That's where the money is. The purpose of editorial work is to build a portfolio and hopefully, a recognizable name.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Sugar said:

I think they rolled out the "be a boss" theme because they know the only success these girls will have is on social media, shilling products on Instagram. North American audiences have lost interest in high fashion modeling - most can't name any working models other than Kendal Jenner and Gigi Hadid.

I'm not so sure the issue is due to "audiences los[ing] interest in high fashion modeling" as much as it is the industry now using actors on the covers and editorial pages of fashion magazines, as opposed to models. That's been the trend for several years now.

Editorial work was the way models made a name, gained exposure, and hopefully, led to commercial work. But that's been taken away from them in favor of fashion magazines featuring actors on their covers and in their editorial pages, making it much more difficult for aspiring models to get their names - and faces - out there where they can build a following.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 2

True - but in a sense the public does dictate who appears on magazine covers. A Kardashian or Jennifer Lawrence will always sell more copies than a Lara Stone or Kayla Scott, so publishers and advertisers are catering to that demand. I also didn't mean to sound disparaging - Chantal from last season (or 2 seasons ago?) parlayed a social media career into steady work, and her star is on the rise. It's not always a bad thing.

So does a one year VH1 contract mean their own reality show? Cause that might be bigger than a one year contract with an agency that might not even want them. Now the winner can go and sign her whatever agency she wants and will support her more unlike a few of the winners ( IMG did nothing for Ann, Adrianne got no love from Wilhimina, Whitney got nothing from Elite etc )

I actually thnk ANTM has been doing pretty well since the all star season in fielding at least one legitimate top model per cast. Eboni Davis( cycle18), Leila Goldkuhl ( cycle 19), Don Benjamin ( cycle 20) Chantelle ( winnie Harlow) cycle 21, and Nyle Dimarco from  cycle 22. 

I watched the original incarnation of this show from beginning to painful end, but never got to comment here because I was always at least a week behind. And also because the Bad Boys and Girls Club got on my nerves! Also..POTES. I LIVED for those recaps on TWOP. At any rate, I am liking this new version so far, though I'm not sold on all the girls. Something about the way it is shot kind of reminds me of Cycle One back in the day. Not sure about any of those judges. I like that browed weepy Courtney, not Kyle so much, was surprised Starr didn't get in, and more TWINS! Hmmmm.........this could be interesting, no? Modeling, reality star, who knows, right? And VH1 can add themselves to those who needs to change the channel names (MTV, AMC, etc....).

Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, and Chantelle (Winnie Harlow) demonstrate that the ability to handle your social media presence and brand can do wonders for your modeling career. You still need to be able to model, but great social media can take you really far. Gigi Hadid still can't walk for shit, but she books all the big shows.

Some of these girls might have careers. Others like too short Giah, the ancient twins, Token, and Marissa the video vixen are probably not likely to have careers. I'm glad they cut Showmance and Quei who might have been the bitchiest hamster in a while. I guess with Tyra gone, we won't get anymore horrible makeovers.

All I know about Rita Ora is that she was in 50 Shades of Grey. And I think I read somewhere that she dated Calvin Harris before he was with Taylor Swift.

I like this so far. The last season I watched was the horrible All Stars season. I like Eyebrows and Kyle and India (I think that's her name) It will take me a few episodes to learn everyone's name. I'm really glad they got rid of the overdramatic Starr and the bitchy girl. Their attitudes upon getting eliminated definitely confirms they shouldn't have been there.

Anyhoo, can't wait to see what the rest of the season holds!

• Love 1