Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: 50 Shades of Ben

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kate lacks sincerity when she speaks to guests and her staff and that can't be teached and will forever hold her back. It comes across in her tone (which is rehearsed, banal, and cold) and dead eyes. She claims to be passionate about service but it conveys as going through the motions. I wonder if she fell into this life since she's meticulous, has a good memory, is driven, and willing to do grunt and bitch work and smile and push on. It's hard to explain. 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 1

I think for Kate it's just a matter of "just do your job" syndrome.  I totally get it.  Where I work, there is this one guy that will game the system every chance he can and I end up picking up the slack.  it's complete bullshit. I end up looking bad because I won't take it, but he is never disciplined and I'm never given props.  it's ineffective management for sure...

1 hour ago, hatchetgirl said:

I think for Kate it's just a matter of "just do your job" syndrome.  I totally get it.  Where I work, there is this one guy that will game the system every chance he can and I end up picking up the slack.  it's complete bullshit. I end up looking bad because I won't take it, but he is never disciplined and I'm never given props.  it's ineffective management for sure...

That really wasn't what I was talking about in my examples at all. I was talking about personality or a flaw in her skill set. Do you feel you situation has created that within you as well? 

5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That really wasn't what I was talking about in my examples at all. I was talking about personality or a flaw in her skill set. Do you feel you situation has created that within you as well? 

I don't really understand your question here. :). Sorry.

6 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I previously wrote

Kate lacks sincerity when she speaks to guests and her staff and that can't be teached and will forever hold her back. It comes across in her tone (which is rehearsed, banal, and cold) and dead eyes. She claims to be passionate about service but it conveys as going through the motions. I wonder if she fell into this life since she's meticulous, has a good memory, is driven, and willing to do grunt and bitch work and smile and push on. It's hard to explain.

so I thought you were responding to my comment. So I asked the question  I did  ?Does that clarify it? For me I don't really think your situation is the same as her's I always thought regardless of who she was working with she's lacked sincerity and had dead eyes. Even so,  a person can work with a piece of shit it shouldn't influence their attitude or level of service. That isn't just measured on efficiency  : ) 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 1

I disagree that Kate lacks sincerity. She's "all business" and "business first" and I like that kind of boss. I think she worked to soften her approach from years past and I think it did some good, that is kept her crew from hating on her. Living and working in close quarters can lead to too much familiarity and unfortunately the pressures can also erode social niceties. I suppose that's Bravo's forte, pitting people against each other but it's an aspect of these Bravo shows I don't particularly enjoy.

If I have any criticism of Kate's handling of her crew it's that she didn't sit them down in a more formal meeting and let them know that while it feels like the season is over, it's not and let's end strong! Rah rah, sis boom bah! Sometimes a boss has to be a cheerleader and this tired crew needed one.

But that's a learning experience for Kate, I think she'll become a better chief stew if she stays in this field. I would hire her in a heartbeat if I had the money to charter a luxurty yacht. I liked the whole interior crew and found their mistakes human and very forgivable.

What I found unforgivable was Ben's behavior toward Kate at the restaurant. That incident may be the event that killed the franchise for good. I don't see them ever really making up. Ben has shown his true colors and unless and until he addresses his drinking problem, he can't be trusted.  Before that behavior I didn't consider his excessive drinking to truly be a "problem" but with that biting speech, his drinking jumped from irresponsible but forgivable to a whole different level. It's a total bummer because I liked Ben and I enjoyed the playful and the not-so-playful banter between Kate and Ben. I can't watch him anymore without disdain. He's lost me. Emily, RUN AWAY!!!

I wasn't particularly impressed with the exterior crew. Kelley needed a little more hands on direction from Captain Lee. He was a little too green for his rank. 
Nico needs to grow up and let the hostility go. I'm not sure what is his problem but the constant hating on Kate was ridiculous. He looked like a toddler and unable to accept female superior rank. 

Kyle, ugh, so many problems and no insight into his own messed up life. He seems good hearted if locked into his own self protected story. Lauren is a sloppy mess and could stand to watch the show and see how she comes across. 

I expect that if they are adults they will watch the show and gain some insight into how they come across and are perceived. Being on a show like this is an amazing opportunity to get some perspective on your own behaviors and delivery. I believe Kate has used the show to improve her management style and I hope they all take the chance to question their own narratives.

Frankly I don't think I'd have the nerve myself! :D

• Love 6
On 12/12/2016 at 11:52 AM, hatchetgirl said:

Lol. oh no, she does have dead eyes.  what is that? but yeah, I work with this piece of shit and give my all.  I come home wiped out because of it.  

:)

I know the name of that tune. It sucks. And it gets old but sometimes the karma police gets them. I wasn't really commenting too negatively on Kate because I completely admire her work ethic. I sometimes work 70 hrs a week for shit so yeah I get it. 

What I was saying and I guess someone above doesn't agree or see it....is she lacks sincerity or in the momentness. It's in her eyes and tone, it's very rehearsed and dry. Even Dean who she "likes" and has noticed he hasn't felt any warmth and she has pretense. Not the worst crime ever but just because she's efficient and knows the ships well doesn't make her the best person ever for guest service or indicate she finds merit in the tasks. She was especially dismissive in the past but even this year had made comments as have Ben and Kelley. 

In the other side you see Nico and Lauren fuck up in their off time but they are pretty zealous and humility free when helping and get a certain glee in their "on stage" moments serving and that can't be learned. If I was a supervisor I'd find the second type preferable. Since they can adapt and be lured to change. Personality and critiques of attitude are harder to implement than concrete policy instructions and are more vague. 

• Love 1

This isn't really relevant to the episode but perhaps the reason why Kate is the way she is is because from reading the first chapter of her book she says she was basically a spoiled brat (she likens herself to Paris Hilton) before she got into yachting and she got into yachting because she wanted a way to travel around the world to exotic locations. I've also heard from other sources that she was hoping to meet a rich man on one of the charters. It doesn't sound like her desire to get into the yachting industry was to serve people but based more on the pay, chance of meeting hot and rich guys, and the exotic travel locations. That might explain why she is so insincere when serving the guests, because she probably really wishes she was one of them. 

• Love 5

This season is over and there's no reunion so I'm just going to say thanks for the jokes from postersand that I hope next year the board isn't as strict for this show. I felt the conversation more limited and some tension vs other show forums where people could tie a show event into an anecdote about their life or talk about past episodes. On a fluffy show and forum w not much traffic I didn't get this. 

• Love 5