Type keyword(s) to search

2016 LIVE SHOW 9: Christmas

SHOCKED. I am shocked that the random jukebox landed on Christmas. I'm personally not a fan of Christmas music but Honey G is gone and there are 4 acts left so this will be bearable, right? Who will get "All I Want For Christmas Is You"... Matt or Saara? Please not Emily. PLEASE.

• Love 1

So, here we go, Christmas week, or rather "Half-Christmas, half Get-me-in-the-finals song".

- Matt's Silent Night was borderline cheesy, but fine.

- 5AM's East 17 - Stay Another Day... that's a Christmas song ? I'll take your word for it. Cos honestly, I didn't care enough about the song or the performance to really pay attention to it.

- Emily's War is Over was... eh. Then again, half of the time, she was drowned out by the chorus & backup singers, so...

- "All I want for Christmas is you" ! One point for aradia ! In other news, Saara delivered.

- Listen, I like Mad World, but it's almost as if they've given up on Emily, this week, and she's on autopilot. I don't see her making it to the finals.

- Matt's Say You Love Me left me cold. It wasn't bad, but... meh.

- Saara nailed Chandelier, but that dress... WTF ?

- 5AM ended the show on a good note with Signed, Sealed, Delivered. Nothing too outstanding or mindblowing, but it was solid.

I guess it will be Saara & Matt to the finals, with 5AM & Emily fighting for third.

Edited by Kaoteek

Stay Another Day hit number one on the UK charts during Christmas Week in 1994, combine that with the bells in the song, and the wintery outfits in the film clip and suddenly it is deemed a Christmas song in the UK. Kylie even covered it for the Snow Queen edition of her Christmas album. For me, it is just a ballad with bells that was huge in Australia's summer of '95/

Glad someone was given All I Want For Christmas Is You. It's not an X Factor Christmas without it.

Edited by Bill1978

Okay, this explains that, then. It didn't really register much around here (aside for the outfits, maybe, which I remember very vaguely).

EDIT :

RESULTS :

Spoiler

Saara & 5AM are through. Matt vs Emily. Matt wins (obviously)

No big surprise here, as far as the final 3 go.

Edited by Kaoteek

I haven't watched the results yet, but it seems Matt and Emily used to be better, now Sara is better, but she is very, what they used to call on Idol, "Broadway." what's the British equivalent? 5 minutes is meh to me. 

The equivalent of Broadway is West End (insert snarky comment here about the superiority of American theatre) but other favorite critiques/criticisms from the judges are... cruise ship, karaoke, theatrical. I'd have to go back and see what they said about Christopher Maloney and Stevie Ritchie. Though I think they've gotten away from that and now say more about how "real" and "authentic" contestants like Emily are... even though she was a regular pop act a few years ago. 

I swear I'm going to try and catch up on the live shows. I'm just feeling lazy. This season just isn't that enjoyable. It feels like work to watch it.