Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef America in the Media

Well that's the best news I've heard about FN. It is the only competition show I enjoyed. I figured they canned it because it was too expensive to produce. I hope they don't ruin the original concept because I really liked it. The new execs at FN seem set on doing things on the cheap.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Well that's the best news I've heard about FN. It is the only competition show I enjoyed. I figured they canned it because it was too expensive to produce. I hope they don't ruin the original concept because I really liked it. The new execs at FN seem set on doing things on the cheap.

Yea I hope that they don't ruin it.

• Love 1

Reading on the article, it says that it's a one on one competition to "earn or retain the title of Iron Chef".  Taken at face value, that means if the Challenger chef wins, he or she is a new Iron Chef and the one who loses is out. 

Mixed feelings if true. Not the worst concept I've heard, I guess.

5 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I was happy to see Stephanie Izard on the list.  Although it's not her greatest accomplishment, it's too bad they didn't mention her win on "Top Chef" although I suppose I can understand it.

I'm pretty sure FN *never* mentions any fame that comes from Bravo shows

• Love 2

This article goes into detail about how the competition will run.

The six-episode primetime event begins with seven extraordinary chefs competing for the chance to become an Iron Chef.  Each week one will rise and one will fall until a single chef is left standing.  But in order to gain entry into this ultimate culinary society, one gladiator must win the Gauntlet - three rapid-succession battles, each against one legendary Iron Chef: Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto or Michael Symon.

In the first five Iron Chef Gauntlet episodes, the competitors endure two grueling rounds of cooking starting with the Chairman's Challenge where host Alton Brown delivers a themed challenge and is the sole decision maker on the most and least successful chef.  The winner then selects a competitor to join the bottom chef in the Secret Ingredient Challenge, where they must cook three dishes featuring the secret ingredient presented on the altar.  The last chef standing has the Iron Chef title in reach - but first, the chef must run the Gauntlet -- three rapid-succession Secret Ingredient battles, each against one legendary Iron Chef: Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto or Michael Symon.

Iron Chef Gauntlet premieres Sunday, April 16th at 9pm, preceded by the one-hour special The Legend of Iron Chef at 8pm, which celebrates historic moments.

The biggest surprise for me is that they are looking for another Iron Chef.  There is already a surplus of Iron Chefs whose battles I find uninteresting - Jose Garces, Mark Forgione, Geoffrey Zakarian.

And I'm actively rooting against Jonathon Sawyer because I found him so sleezy when he was a Chopped judge.

4 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

The biggest surprise for me is that they are looking for another Iron Chef.  There is already a surplus of Iron Chefs whose battles I find uninteresting - Jose Garces, Mark Forgione, Geoffrey Zakarian.

They used to have a "next Iron Chef" competition, so maybe they intend to retire some of the old ones to make room for new ones, presumably for a new Iron Chef series.  Or it could now just be to have the honor of the title.  I guess we'll find out.

What I want to know is this means they will be doing more Iron Chef episodes if they have a new Iron Chef.

I am happy that they're reairing some old Iron Chef episodes and have even more on demand.  I used to love recording the repeat at 3 a.m. Friday nights/Saturday mornings and have it on in the background when I was doing something else or wanted to doze to the TV.  Such comfort.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:05 PM, chessiegal said:

I could have written this response myself.  This show is a "class act" in my eyes, and it's the kind of "game show" the FN should aspire to emulate instead of those granny and kiddie contests.  I am hopeful that this one will be as much like the last one as possible because I felt they had a winning format.  I did enjoy the Batali-Burrell pair on the last series, and I'll miss them if they're not a part of this show.  I liked watching how well and synchronized they cooked together.

(edited)

It looks like the show's coming back at some point & they appear to be filming now (or they have been recently). Best news is: it appears they were able to get Mark Dacascos back as the Chairman. He posted these 2 pics to his Twitter within about the last hour; the 1 on the right has him on the ICA set, being photobombed by his son.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an unnecessary comment.
  • Love 1

The Chairman is coming back!  Great news!  I know many people thought he was terribly corny (which he was) but I loved him and thought he was essential to the atmosphere of the show as it was.  Now if they could get Kevin back as well..............................

• Love 4

I never cared for the Chairman on ICA.  I think it's because for me Chairman Kaga was the only Chairman and I couldn't accept someone else, but also because Dacascos himself never impressed me.  But in spite of that I'm down with him coming back because after all, by now it's tradition!

20 hours ago, mlp said:

The Chairman is coming back!  Great news!  I know many people thought he was terribly corny (which he was) but I loved him and thought he was essential to the atmosphere of the show as it was.  Now if they could get Kevin back as well..............................

I'm not sure we're getting Kevin back. About 10 days ago, Mark Dacascos' Twitter retweeted this pic of Mark & Alton with a youngish lady named Jaymee (from her Twitter feed) who seems to be on the show in some capacity. I had the feeling she may be replacing Kevin this go around when I saw the pic.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, mlp said:

I don't like Alton with facial hair and now he's shaved his head?!  OMG  He looks awful!  And old.

I didn't want to say anything when I saw the photo but I agree!  Just when I thought he was looking better, too.  I get it that he's losing his hair so he thinks shaving it helps, but in his case it's worse, especially with those glasses!

• Love 2

That's good news about the show but I can hardly stand to look at Alton.  With the shaved head and grey whiskers, he looks like he's aged a decade or more.  The dark and contrasting frames don't help.

Can Flay just be happy with his other 20 shows on Food Network and leave Iron Chef America alone? He didn't even have half a season of original ideas and it pains me to see him ever get more than 2 out of 5 points for creativity for his "Best of Epicurious" approach.

Judging by the link, even Morimoto seems to have stepped aside which is fine by me, even though he's my favorite. There are only so many ideas you can have and 20+ years is enough to give to the Iron Chef franchise. The listing they give is "Bobby Flay, Jose Garces, Michael Symon, Alex Guarnaschelli and Stephanie Izard". I'm excited to see Stephanie Izard. I'm happy to see Michael Symon who was the best Iron Chef in my estimation at the close of the last series. I'm neutral to Alex though a lot of folks hated her on TWoP. Jose Garces always bored me, and Bobby Flay can take a hike. Glad Forgione is not here. Surprised that Geoffrey Zakarian isn't involved. I kind of remember liking his approach.

Looking forward to Stephanie, Alex, and Michael. Bobby doesn't bother me, though I agree he is a bit of a one-trick pony. Jose Garces is dull dull dull. Not sure why they are bothering with him.

• Love 1

I like Jose Garces.  He may be a bit low key but I've read several times that he's a thoroughly decent man who treats his employees very well.  He has a huge restaurant empire so he must be doing something right.

Ugh, that photo of Alton above with the cat......He's only 55, too young to look like grandpa yet!

On 8/4/2017 at 1:17 AM, mlp said:

I like Jose Garces.  He may be a bit low key but I've read several times that he's a thoroughly decent man who treats his employees very well.  He has a huge restaurant empire so he must be doing something right.

I like him too but I'd need a microscope to find his personality.  And as a card carrying introvert I'm usually very forgiving of the "low key".

• Love 1

Happy the show is back, but I would have preferred Marc Forgione instead of Jose Garces.  I know that Forgione was seemingly an unpopular Iron Chef choice, but I always liked his food.

I don't care for Jose Garces at all.  Disliked him a lot during his season of Next Iron Chef.  I was rooting for Amanda Freitag.  He defeated Jehangir Mehta in the finals, the one that many called Nosferatu due to his resemblance to the gothic vampire.  I think Mehta would have made a better Iron Chef.  Garces is boring boring boring.

Above all, I find him disgusting.  His trademark is that he sweats.  A lot.  All over.  Buckets.  Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=lWnRtbuKz-8

So disgusting.  Wipes his face and blows his nose.  Then uses the SAME NAPKIN to clean the edges of the dish of food.  Yuck.

Edited by blackwing

Alton Brown Hosts New Food Network Showdown Wednesday November 8th at 9PM.

The Chairman (Mark Dacascos) and floor reporter Jaymee Sire join Alton as the culinary drama unfolds each week, with Iron Chefs Bobby Flay, Jose Garces, Alex Guarnaschelli, Michael Symon and newest member Stephanie Izard each taking on talented, determined challengers over the ten-episode season.

Preceding Showdown's premiere is the one-hour special Iron Chef: Where Are They Now at 8pm, which explores the latest and greatest achievements of favorite Iron Chefs followed by the debut of retrospective series Iron Chef: Behind the Battle at 10pm.

In each episode, Alton welcomes two formidable chef competitors to Kitchen Stadium and they battle each other in the Chairman's Challenge to create their best dish based upon a secret ingredient.  Alton is the sole judge to determine which chef advances to the next level: an epic duel against a legendary Iron Chef in the Secret Ingredient Showdown.

Iron Chef Showdown kicks off with a Thanksgiving-themed episode, as Iron Chef Bobby Flay lies in wait while Chicago chef Matt Kerney battles against Florida chef Lindsay Autry over ingredients from America's favorite holiday in the Chairman's Challenge.  Then, John Besh and Antonia Lofaso serve as judges for the Thanksgiving Secret Ingredient Showdown between the first-round winner and Iron Chef Flay.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2017 at 5:59 PM, chessiegal said:

Hah - Iron Chef meets Beat Bobby Flay.

Cooking Channel had a short series some years ago about behind the scenes of Iron Chef that was very entertaining.

Honestly it kinda has to be like this right? Limited schedules of the established Iron Chefs and the reduce number of Iron Chefs I’m general now. This puts less pressure on them schedule wise.

Not exactly sure where to post this but sure wanted to speak about it with y'all...

I remember being so bummed when John Besh wasn't chosen as an Iron Chef.  I really liked him.  I've watched him cook on FN shows, sometimes with his sons, and thought he seemed talented, warm and engaging.  Now to read the horrible news about his own affair as well as the terrible harassment culture in his restaurant group, I'm just very disappointed and disgusted.  What a shame.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Not exactly sure where to post this but sure wanted to speak about it with y'all...

I remember being so bummed when John Besh wasn't chosen as an Iron Chef.  I really liked him.  I've watched him cook on FN shows, sometimes with his sons, and thought he seemed talented, warm and engaging.  Now to read the horrible news about his own affair as well as the terrible harassment culture in his restaurant group, I'm just very disappointed and disgusted.  What a shame.  

Wow. News to me. Where did you hear this?

He resigned from his restaurant group to "focus on repairing his family" and the info is in NY Daily News today.  I googled and read other articles after I read the NYDN blurb.  

Edited by MerBearHou
On 10/26/2017 at 0:23 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From People.com: Now Bobby Flay Says Quitting Iron Chef Was a Joke

But... There may be a problem with the new show premiering on November 8th, as scheduled, according to the linked article. Chef John Besh, who resigned from his own restaurant management company earlier this week due to a sexual harassment scandal (he also apparently had an affair with an employee) is a guest on the premiere episode.

Easy way around it. Ignore it and weather any backlash OR run a disclaimer stating that the episode was filmed before the allegations came and that Scripps/FN doesn’t condone the alleged actions.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

Easy way around it. Ignore it and weather any backlash OR run a disclaimer stating that the episode was filmed before the allegations came and that Scripps/FN doesn’t condone the alleged actions.

I doubt the same network that ignores the fact Lenny the cowboy ever existed is going to make any comment.

• Love 2

I'll be curious to see if the floor reporter role expands a bit with an actual chef in that spot.  I didn't dislike the woman they had last season but it was clear that she was a fish out of water wrt cooking and wasn't a good fit.  I love Jet Tila so I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles it.  

• Love 4

I'm sorry to read the above about Jose Garces.  I've always liked him.  I wonder how he let things get so out of control.  Sad.

• Love 1