Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E21: Live Top 10 Performances

Noreaster
  • Start Topic

Wow.  Just checking in to this season.  Watched for the first time tonight.  I was interested to see Sundance Head in the top 10.  Remember him from Idol; the season that Jordin Sparks won.  I really enjoyed his performance.  Love me some bluegrass.  Otherwise, I liked Billy, We, and Ali.  Ali has a great voice but as usual on The Voice, she overpowered the song and gave a show-offy performance.  If she had delivered a bluesy Billie Holliday number instead, I would have loved it.  No singer on this show will ever be brave enough to perform Strange Fruit, but how great would that be.

Liked Brendan too.  No one else.

• Love 2

Best I've heard from Billy. He and Wé were outstanding tonight, I thought. (Though Wé's last long high note sounded a little wonky to me.)

I did not care to watch Josh or Sundance. I saw a few seconds of Austin--just enough to watch the drummer twirling his drumstick in the background.  And I walked back in in time to see Brendan's live performance--praise be, he did not have that damned guitar! However, I did find his frequent unfocused blinking a little odd. Maybe he has contact lenses and the stage lights bother him? Anyway, I thought Brendan was okay but not spectacular. He seems limited in range to me, though I enjoy his growl-y voice.

I've always been a big Ali fan, but I did not love this performance. I would have preferred a little more variation (soft/loud, for example), because it seemed to be mostly loud and getting louder.  Also, I did not like her hand gestures--hand to the side of her face, hand outstretched, all done in a stylized way, calling attention to the long nails. It seemed a little too R&B for me.

A song filled with examples of coming up short despite being a person that should obviously succeed, is the closest that Billy has ever come to connecting to a song onstage. If he wasn’t worried about performing and had been in his bathroom or managed to tap into one of the darker days of his life or career, that performance would’ve been perfect on every level: professionally, technically, but especially emotionally. But, it was definitely a glimpse of what he has the potential to do, if he’d just let himself do it.

I really could’ve done without Courtney singing “If I Could Turn Back Time,” as there were better songs that would’ve met the criteria of 80s Soft Rock and suited her better. But, what she did much better than Sa’Rayah when she sang Bon Jovi, is that she sang the song like Courtney sings music, not like somebody putting on their rock star costume for three minutes. That’s one of the things that I’ve always liked about Blake as a coach, no matter what genre his singer falls under, he showcases their strengths, not his personal likes or dislikes.

Aaron Gibson … Elton John … Dave Matthews … One of these things is not like the others. That Miley cracks me up.

Billy could have ten vocal cords removed and still be a much better singer than Christian, but if he can’t connect like Christian did to his song, he’s going to continue to be a very frustrated singer with a frustrating career.

Austin was good.

• Love 1

A song filled with examples of coming up short despite being a person that should obviously succeed, is the closest that Billy has ever come to connecting to a song onstage. 

True--There was a point toward the end where he was really bringing it with the "do it anyway" hook, and I just wanted to see him let go--maybe stomp his foot on the ground (but slowly and still keeping the rhythm of the music, like you might do if you were passionate about your message and couldn't keep the feeling bottled up). He did not quite get there, but as you say, he was very close.

• Love 1

Pretty good night overall.  First time this season when I actually enjoyed most of the performances.  The only exception was Courtney.  I haven't liked her all season and tonight was no different.  Her tone is unpleasant to my ears while there were also some problems tonight.

Favorites for me were Billy and Christian.  I also liked We though her performance feels so randomly Broadway while the operatic part at the end felt kind of gimmicky.  

I actually enjoyed Aaron for the first time in these live shows.  I think mostly because of the song's arrangement.  His vocals are still weak.  

Ali was a little disappointing.  She sounded pitchy at times.  I also didn't care for some of the changes she made to the song.  Still good overall.  

Everyone else was good.  I can't remember anything specific good or bad, but I know I was entertained throughout.  

Tonight was a perfect example of the Voice's "fatal flaw".  The judges never give any credible advice, mostly because it would mean having to be critical of a performance.  They should bring in a guest judge (or judges?) who has nothing to lose by being blunt.  Are the singers really picking these songs for themselves?  For some it seems like they are connected to a particular song (see We), whereas some just seem disconnected.  If I were coaching a team and someone picked an obscure or old niche song, I would have to try and help steer them in another direction.  (maybe this happens off-screen?)

• Love 3

-Much better night than the last 2 weeks.

-Billy was his best since Fight Song. Wow.

-I love Christian. Sings with such heart.

-We was great. But yes, gimmicky last 10 seconds or so.

-Sundance was very good. But his song choice was not my fave.

-Brendan continues to impress me. Funny enough, though he's a very good looking dude, I enjoy NOT watching him and just listening. Its not even that he makes odd faces or anything. I think his looks are a distraction and when listening to the song(s), I get more out of the experience.

-Ali needed that pimp spot, needed that song, and needed that performace. Wasnt perfect, but I still thought it was pretty darn good.

-Worst of the night, sadly, was Courtney, I like her, but fear the result tomorrow.

-Everyone else was kinda blah/ok, for me.

I didn't like Billy. His Voice didn't really fit the song.

For me, Ali and We are the best vocalists in the competition. Those little asides We puts in are too much though. Maybe one or two would be fine, but it feels so forced. 

Please, please, please, let two generic dudes go tomorrow. I've never thought to myself 'yes, but what if Dave Matthews or Bruce Springsteen covered this.'

• Love 2

Courtney's yelling and shouting that Cher song was easily the worst of the night. Terrible song choice - and by the way, Courtney, if it's supposed to be "soft rock," why are you shouting?

Christian was my favorite of the night. He put so much emotion into that song, and I really like the tone of his voice. 

Was it Alicia's idea for We to add those opera notes at the end?  Her performance was so good up to that point, but that ending was just silly. 

• Love 1

Right now in the top 20 on itunes:

4    Sundance Head    Me and Jesus (The Voice Performance)   
7    Brendan Fletcher    True Colors (The Voice Performance)    
8    Billy Gilman    Anyway (The Voice Performance)    
11    Christian Cuevas    Million Reasons (The Voice Performance)    
17    Wé McDonald    God Bless the Child (The Voice Performance)

• Love 2

Sundance zooming to the top of the Itunes charts with a song that has Jesus in the title and a performance that mashed up elements of a Grand Ole Opry show and a Big Tent Revival has to be one of the least surprising Voice results ever.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 8

Some very good, some "coulda been good" but gone wrong. (And I missed Billy altogether).

Among the misses, sadly, was Courtney. I like her and really like her clear pure tone. Unfortunately, a bad song choice just didn't showcase her strengths.   Likewise, I thought I was going to enjoy Ali when she started out soft on "Without You" then built. Unfortunately, she decided to yell out about "your sorrow" which just spoiled the feeling of the song (and way too much over-emoting on "can't live without you". At some point, it's just comical--not the feeling anyone is going for there.)

Aaron, well, I was hopeful. But that was bad. 

The ones I liked:

Brendan--I liked Adam's coaching, the simple arrangement with sax and piano and his advice to think of Springsteen. Both worked for Brendan. His version of "True Colors" was my favorite of the night.

We-- operatic ending wasn't necessary, but otherwise it was a strong performance of a familiar blues staple.

Sundance -- I'm not a fan when they break out God and Jesus songs, generally, though some are better than others ("God Bless the Child" better than "Jesus and Me", for example) and I prefer bluesy Sundance to bluegrass Sundance. However, I enjoyed the arrangement including the tempo change, enjoyed bluegrass which is refreshing on this show and thought Blake was interesting giving his thoughts on Christianity and a personal God. So Sundance and "Jesus and Me" was a success to me (albeit clearly one calculated to succeed on iTunes).

• Love 4

Was it Alicia's idea for We to add those opera notes at the end?  Her performance was so good up to that point, but that ending was just silly. 

THIS. And yes, it was Alicia's idea. We has a lovely operatic voice, but that wasn't the song to spring it on us. However, she'll be safe. And so will Sundance with his Jesus song. At least he enunciated, one of only 3 singers who did. I fear for Ali, who had me in tears the first week but hasn't done all that well since (song choice - blah). Which brings me to Billy. He's "capable" but do you honestly think he connects to the lyrics emotionally? I think he's robotic. Oh, and did you know he was a child singing star???

• Love 2

I’m glad Billy is back on track the past two weeks after the Queen trainwreck. Christian finally got something good to sing again with “Million Reasons,” although he couldn’t really hit some of those higher notes. As much as I like We, I just find it hard to believe she’ll be able to win this year. Alicia’s best bet is Christian, imo, but who knows. I would like to see both We and Christian in the finale, but at the same time, it would be beneficial for Alicia to have only one contestant for all the Alicia fans to vote together towards. I would be fine with any of those three winning, although Billy is definitely my preference. I imagine Miley won’t have anyone in the finale; her contestants just weren’t very good to begin with, sadly. Not a knock on her at all, I love her on this show.

I’m really hoping Sundance doesn’t win. He seems nice and he is a good singer, but I’d put him handily behind the above three. That would be the worst ending to the season. 2016 is the year of nightmares though, so I wouldn’t count it out.

46 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I would be fine with any of those three winning, although Billy is definitely my preference.

Oh, so you want another predictable Adam win?  Okay.  I feel kinda sorry for you.

Anyway, it was definitely a better night than the past live nights.  The performances:

Billy: I'll admit this was better than his past ones.  But I still mostly ignored him.  Unlike @TheGreenKnight, I'm hoping saner heads (and voters) prevail and he doesn't take this.

Courtney: A Cher song?  Really?  The moment I heard she was doing a song by her, I knew she'd be bad.  And sure enough . . The vocals actually weren't terrible.  I just didn't think her particular voice went well with this song.  I think she's in the bottom tomorrow, unless the L.A./West Coast voters help her.

Josh: Yeah.  He's still boring.  Country continues to do nothing for me.  I still think he has a big, strong voice.  But he still does very little with it.  He'll still get through on the country vote, though.

Aaron: Liked this.  Didn't love it.  I wish he'd kept more of the flavor of Elton John's version rather than change it up almost completely.  I think he's heading for his third visit in a row in terms of hitting the bottom.  But this time, I don't think he's gonna get saved.  But on a side note, he really does look like his dad.  Anyone else see that?

Christian: This . . . almost made me cry.  You could tell from the look on his face he was really connecting to the song.  At times, I almost thought that he would cry.  And apparently, according to Alicia, he did cry!  That was some real performing.  That was real performing.  His stage presence was something else, and his vocals were very strong and damn near flawless.  I think he's gonna slay the votes and get through.

Austin: His voice sounded good, as it always does.  But I texted and Skyped on my phone throughout the performance, which means that he didn't hold my interest or attention.  Country vote will save him, though.

Wé: Breathtaking.  Gorgeous.  Just a stunning job.  The vocals were amazing, her performance was outstanding, and her stage presence was off the charts.  Sure, the operatic high note was a bit much.  But she slid back down from it smoothly and easily enough.  She'll get through on the votes, no matter what.

Brendan: Two weeks in a row with no guitar.  I'm impressed.  As for the song, I didn't think anyone but Cyndi Lauper could do that well.  But he really did well with it.  I think he'll get near the the finale, or even into it, but he won't win.

Sundance: This was pretty good.  I loved his voice both during the slower portion and the faster portion with the banjo.  I'm surprised and impressed that he was about to keep up his control through that gauntlet of tempo changes.  He'll get through, likely through help from his AI fanbase.

Ali: Was Aaron's appearance in her package the first time another artist has appeared in the subject artist's package?  Anyway, I don't agree with the criticisms made of her performance.  I thought she did a fine job with the song.  Actually, she was excellent.  Great power, exceptional control, and an amazing look to go on top of it.  She's punched her ticket to the semifinals, for sure.

On a side note, I had no idea that Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were married, as Adam said.  That explains why they mentored together for the Knockouts.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Kendall said:

Aaron Gibson … Elton John … Dave Matthews … One of these things is not like the others. That Miley cracks me up.

Honestly, it was such a weird performance. It was like if Jimmy Fallon did his Wheel of Musical Impressions and landed on "Dave Matthews" and "Rocket Man." Once Miley put the idea into my head I couldn't see it as anything more than an impression than an actual performance.

Wé sounded great until she switched into her Opera voice. There's a way to do that that can work, but Alicia isn't that type of singer and Wé probably doesn't have enough experience going back and forth to really get it. She needs to sit down with Queen Audra McDonald and talk about how to best use her different facilities. Still, she's pretty great but when Alicia suggests something different just cause it'd be cool, Wé should ignore her.

I loved Sundance. I don't think he's the best in the competition but he was the best last night. The choices he made with Blake about the arrangement were very smart and made the song feel dynamic and whole rather than the truncated versions we typically get on these shows. It felt original and it suited his voice and personality. And he performed it well live. With all those tempo changes he managed to keep breath control and nail it.

I knew Courtney was in trouble with that Cher song. It's a fine radio song and makes for a shockingly good music video but the truth is the song is very repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. Even if you nail it, it isn't a song that serves you well in a competition. And then she didn't nail it. When she was talking about trying the Cher runs during the package, I feared for her and they sounded so off in the live performance. There would have been better 80s songs to serve her. Like Sundance, this performance felt long. Unlike him, that wasn't a good thing.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 3

Y'all realize the song Billy Gilman did is also about God? I don't mind those songs but I understand people do. I'm just confused on why Sundance is the only one being mentioned in regards to this. 

I like country but I thought Josh was awful. I always feel as if it's an impression and I want to listen to the original. 

• Love 2

Billy's song is much more subtle. I'm not a country fan but I've always liked that song. The only verse that mentions God delves into the question of why we don't always get what we pray for. Taken together with the rest of the lyrics, it's all about faith and hope and perseverance. Quite a far cry from Sundance hitting us over the head with "Jesus and me, we got a thing going on" or whatever the hell he was saying. Just my opinion, of course. 

• Love 1

I am just bored with Billy. He's BORING. I continue to be a Brendan fangirl. Courtney was terrible and I've been a supporter of hers. I think Courtney & Aaron will be going home tonight. Josh not far behind.

I think just about everybody else is really good. I like Sundance and Austin and Christian. I'm tired of We & Ali.

• Love 2

JMarie99 said this: "Courtney's yelling and shouting that Cher song was easily the worst of the night." and I totally agree. She showed no sensitivity or vocal range, she just screamed all the words. I hated it, and think Blake must be a terrible coach to approve that approach to a song that could have showcased her. It's like Blake wants to get rid of her. I did enjoy We, she actually is a good singer with sensitivity, as is Christian. I can listen to both just fine. Billy was good, but he's always good, not super great. Aaron, poor guy, Miley loves you yet you have no range, you are pretty much a one-note guy. I liked Ali okay too. But Austin, holy cow, I flipped the channel so I didn't have to listen to him. I like Sundance but for some reason I fell asleep for his song, so missed it. I wonder what that means? LOL!

Some really terrible song choices here. Courtney was the worst. You can't just pick a song because you like it - you have to pick a song that lets you show off either your voice or your artistry (if you make the arrangement your own). Courtney did neither. Also, it's not that fast a song, and she was out of breath and off-key within the first few bars (and then never really recovered). Really disappointing.

Rocketman isn't a very dynamic song, but a dynamic singer can make it work. Aaron, unfortunately, is not a dynamic singer. I've really wanted to like him, since I thought he killed it on his I'll Take Care of You duet with Sa'Rayah, but I'm continuously let down by his performances. I'm not sure that Miley was the right coach for him, or that this is the right venue for his style of singing. Ah well, gave me a really good single that I'll be listening to long after this season is over :)

I hate country. Loathe it. But goshdarnit, I loved Sundance's performance! It's amazing to me that he sang that entire song with not single note out of place, not a phrase out of breath, and then you have singers (real singers with great voices) like Courtney, Ali, Billy, etc. who struggle to make it through a song. I think his voice really suits bluegrass - it has that tinny sound to it that I associate with bluegrass. Hubby and I loved it, and we're young urbanites who would never be caught dead listening to country music - it was something different, it was fun, and it was done competently.

Also surprised to really enjoy Brendan. For once, I agree with Adam. You could literally see halfway through the performance when Brendan just shut his eyes and let go. He's becoming a much more charismatic performer, and I too felt like Miley - like he was singing to me. Really nice connection there.

Christian was great as well. We also good, though I found her 'asides' to be a bit diva-ish. I don't even really like it when an established artist does that, but less so when an amateur does it. Like, who do you think you are, Whitney? Etta? Girl, cool it. I didn't think it was her strongest, but still very good (though I wish she had picked a different Billie song).

It really says something about the quality of the judging, when Miley Cyrus is not only the voice of reason, but the one who is making most sense. I'm over Alicia's earth mother shtick. Blake is either drunk, not drunk enough, or just sick of this show, and Adam starts speaking without a coherent thought in his head, and hopes to stumble upon a point as he yammers about this and that. Courtney should have been skewered for her performance, and ditto Aaron and Billy. But of course, no one is going to say anything other than "you found your yes" or "it's great what you do" or "you're really having a great time up there".

Billy is not a perfect vocalist by any means. He had pitch problems throughout, and really strained to hit some of those notes. I'm sick of Adam treating him like the second coming. On any other season where the competition was fiercer, Billy wouldn't even be considered a front-runner.

The talent this year is a bit weak :(

• Love 2

The ones who kept my attention: Brendan, Wé, Ali, Christian.

The one I tapped my foot during the performance: Sundance.

The one who sang OK, but made me go to the kitchen to get a bottle of water: Billy.

The one who nearly put me to sleep: Austin.

The one I didn't care about: Josh.

The two who should get their save songs ready: Courtney, Aaron.

Last week I said Brendan was this season's Hannah Huston. I think he may surpass that and become a bonafide contender. I wish Adam could see this instead of generic Billy. He has a sexy Ray LaMontagne/Caleb Followill voice that is both smoky and sexy at the same time. Wé would've been the best of the night until she decided to go Jessye Norman on us with her operatic belt at the end. We get it, girl! You have a voice.

• Love 2

Garth Brooks talked about not being the best singer but being a good entertainer. It was what made him so huge.

There can be perfect pitch singers but if i'm bored then i'm going to ff them. Everyone on Adam's team bores me.  Courtney and Aaron made me cringe.

1 hour ago, Sugar said:

We also good, though I found her 'asides' to be a bit diva-ish. I don't even really like it when an established artist does that, but less so when an amateur does it.

I think that is why i'm so put off by her. I have yet to hear anything from her that I liked.

My biggest surprise of the night was how much I like Brendan.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Nedsdag said:

....Last week I said Brendan was this season's Hannah Huston. I think he may surpass that and become a bonafide contender. I wish Adam could see this instead of generic Billy. He has a sexy Ray LaMontagne/Caleb Followill voice that is both smoky and sexy at the same time. Wé would've been the best of the night until she decided to go Jessye Norman on us with her operatic belt at the end. We get it, girl! You have a voice.

I agree that Brendan, not Billy, is the one Adam should be thinking of as his strongest possibility for the finals. Brendan has improved a lot as a performer while you can see Billy is still doing a lot of the mannerisms and approach to songs that he's been doing all his life. I don't think he will ever lose that slightly robotic presentation and make you feel connected to him and to the song. I'd like to see him try his favorite Broadway song--something he loves--rather than something he feels is a crowd pleaser.  He has such a good instrument but so far, Zzzzz.

Adam is pimping him like his winner because of having Jordan win with his beautiful voice. But Billy's not Jordan. As far as Adam's team goes for me, Brendan's far and away the strongest. Maybe not strong enough to win, but, with the right song, enough to say, "Who knows?" 

I don't think the winner will be Billy (or Ali, Josh, Christian or Austin).  And Aaron and Courtney will be leaving most likely tonight.  I think the final 3 will be Sundance, Brendan and We.

• Love 1

Courtney was awful...abysmal song choice and terrible interpretation. Now I have to go home and watch the rest of last nights show before the results show; she was so bad I turned the TV off. I did see Billy; it just all seems like a stage act with him. I get no feeling at all. 

15 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Are the singers really picking these songs for themselves?  For some it seems like they are connected to a particular song (see We), whereas some just seem disconnected.  If I were coaching a team and someone picked an obscure or old niche song, I would have to try and help steer them in another direction.  (maybe this happens off-screen?)

No, the contestants do not usually pick the songs themselves.  It's usually some combo of producers/coaches/contestants.  This season, Sa'rayah mentioned how "Living on a Prayer" was a collective decision between herself, an executive producer, and Alicia.  Darby said that she texted back and forth with Miley. Here are their post-elimination conference calls:

http://starrymag.com/the-voice-sarayah/

http://starrymag.com/darby-walker-the-voice/

Edited by Noreaster
7 hours ago, Court said:

Y'all realize the song Billy Gilman did is also about God? I don't mind those songs but I understand people do. I'm just confused on why Sundance is the only one being mentioned in regards to this. 

I like country but I thought Josh was awful. I always feel as if it's an impression and I want to listen to the original. 

Wasn't We's song also religious?  I don't hear anyone getting worked up at that song choice, either.  Actually though, I'm glad.  I get tired of the accusations of "pandering" every season when there are some religious songs in the mix.

10 hours ago, Michel said:

Oh, so you want another predictable Adam win?  Okay.  I feel kinda sorry for you.

You do know that music enjoyment is subjective, right?  I don't know if anyone needs sympathy about their music and performer likes/dislikes.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Noreaster said:

I also liked We though her performance feels so randomly Broadway while the operatic part at the end felt kind of good or bad, but I know I was entertained throughout.  

That's one of my favorite songs, and I DID NOT like that performance. It was gimmicky throughout, beginning with the spoken intro about being just 17 but let me show you what I learned. (Something like that, I think. Could not make out the words). Then calling attention to changing the lyrics to "her own," and that "God bless this child" at the end. Me, me, me. The entire performance was about her, and not about the song or communicating to the audience. It's a beautiful, tender, sad song, and I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I though she stomped all over it.

Otherwise, I thought it was an okay week. And another one in which The Voice continues to blur the line between singing and screaming.

I liked the slightly funky version of "Rocket Man," and I like the sound of Aaron's voice but he has zero range. I expect this was his last hurrah.

Brendan sounds to me like a cross between Bruce Springsteen and Leonard Cohen. He could probably make a career out of singing ballads and love songs in that growly voice. There's definitely an audience for it. 

If they hadn't told me I wouldn't have thought what Billy sang was a country song. I'm not really sure what constitutes "country" anymore. I guess any song originally done by a country singer?

I didn't take Sundance's song as being seriously about religion. It was a fun performance, with nothing sanctimonious or "holy" like in many of the religious songs that Jordan Smith did.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Michel said:

No need. It really has nothing to do with Adam at all, since I can't stand him. The last time I wanted someone on Adam's team to win was Damien.

I don't really consider any of these contestants to have strong stage presence. Christian, We, Billy, Aaron, Austin, Sundance--they all pretty much stood in one place and didn't move.

Unpopular opinion:  Although I have enjoyed Wé's performances throughout the competition, I thought she absolutely butchered "God Bless the Child."  I found it cringe worthy.  

Next up on the awful scale:  Austin.  What a terrible song choice and lackluster performance.   Then, Courtney.  Not good.  

I'm thinking Courtney, Aaron and Austin will be the bottom three tonight with Austin getting the Twitter save.  I actually thought Aaron's "Rocket Man" performance was interesting and enjoyable but I think the sand has run out of his hour glass.   

• Love 2
8 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

Billy's song is much more subtle. I'm not a country fan but I've always liked that song. The only verse that mentions God delves into the question of why we don't always get what we pray for. Taken together with the rest of the lyrics, it's all about faith and hope and perseverance. Quite a far cry from Sundance hitting us over the head with "Jesus and me, we got a thing going on" or whatever the hell he was saying. Just my opinion, of course. 

It's actually the chorus. Or one of the choruses. 

I don't care if one doesn't like the religious songs but I just found the comments regarding it interesting. I didn't really listen to We because I'm not a fan but her song also has God in it. 

• Love 1

I grew up listening to Liza Minnelli's version of God Bless the Child, so I am used to that song as a Broadway-ish song. We's problem is that she didn't stick with the serious themes of the lyrics and tossed in the operatic run as a cheeky closer that wasn't called for. I get wanting to show off that capability (it impressed me, that's for sure!), but she should have held off for a more lighthearted song to put that in. 

I am guessing the two gone will be Courtney and Aaron. Both Josh and Austin didn't impress me at all this week, but they'll get the country music bump.

I am hoping that the contestants get a chance to talk with some of the members of Pentatonix tonight if they want to find out how much hard work is involved in succeeding in the music business after winning a reality show. 

Edited by Sharpie66
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Unpopular opinion:  Although I have enjoyed Wé's performances throughout the competition, I thought she absolutely butchered "God Bless the Child."  I found it cringe worthy.  

Not so unpopular. In my post I said exactly the same thing. If you want to be a clown and give an attention grabbing performance, fine. But don't do it with a beloved American classic associated with an iconic artist like Billie Holiday. Yeah, we get that you're young. But have some respect for the great artists that paved the way for you.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I grew up listening to Liza Minnelli's version of God Bless the Child, so I am used to that song as a Broadway-ish song. We's problem is that she didn't stick with the serious themes of the lyrics and tossed in the operatic run as a cheeky closer that wasn't called for. I get wanting to show off that capability (it impressed me, that's for sure!), but she should have held off for a more lighthearted song to put that in. 

I am guessing the two gone will be Courtney and Aaron. Both Josh and Austin didn't impress me at all this week, but they'll get the country music bump.

I am hoping that the contestants get a chance to talk with some of the members of Pentatonix tonight if they want to find out how much hard work is involved in succeeding in the music business after winning a reality show. 

Pentatonix feels like such a bizarre success story, but results don't lie. They marketed themselves perfectly to people who actually buy things during the holiday season, yielding one of the T5 US sellers from 2014 to date. And their new album is killing, estimated to sell over 100k this week, with 4 more weeks to go of holiday season. 

It should be the album's 3rd 50k+ selling week this year. Only 5 other albums released this year have multiple 50k+ selling weeks: Bey/Drake, and Rihanna/Bowie/Blake for exactly 2 weeks each. Beyoncé, Drake, and Pentatonix are a bizarre trio, but there it is.

• Love 3

I thought this was the best episode of the season.  Billy, Christian, We, Brendan, Sundance and Ali all gave very good performances and I'd be hard pressed to pick between them.  Hopefully the final 4 will come from among those 6 contestants.

I can see why We's performance might be a bit polarizing, but I personally loved it.  I thought it was her best since the live shows began. 

• Love 1

I guess I missed something the rest of you were hearing; I honestly finished this episode in about 20 minutes.  I FF'ed through the coaching segments and comments, and even with that found myself FF'ing through the performances.  Billy's performance was good, solid, professional, but I wasn't really engaged.  Courtney simply butchered Tina Turner, continuing a streak of lackluster performances since her foot-stomping Tina Turner ("River Deep Mountain High") way back in the knockout rounds; a shame because I really liked her until the live rounds started.  Josh Gallagher was his usual competent self but I started skipping ahead when he spent an embarrassingly long time just holding a guitar without playing it.  Then, halfway through Aaron's "Rocketman by way of Red Rocks" I was feeling irritated and just turned it off, so I didn't end up seeing the rest of the performances.  I later went back and tried to watch a couple on Youtube, but they were similarly uninspiring to me; a lot of screechy singing (probably trying to hear themselves over the lousy studio mix) and Brady Bunch Variety Hour style performances.

I think this show's lost me again this season, alas.  Although I guess there are only two weeks left, going top 8 -> top 4, then the finale week?  So I'll probably stick it out for this season, and maybe even watch the auditions/battles of next season, but clearly I just can't stomach this show when it gets to the live performances.  It's like these talented people and talented coaches forget how to put on a good performance (or maybe most of the blame really should fall on the shitty mixing job).

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, hincandenza said:

I guess I missed something the rest of you were hearing; I honestly finished this episode in about 20 minutes.  I FF'ed through the coaching segments and comments, and even with that found myself FF'ing through the performances.  

I think watching the rehearsal footage contributed to my enjoyment of this episode.  The coaches were very involved and provided a lot of arrangement and performance suggestions.  I skipped over almost all of the coaches' comments afterwards though.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 2

I like the rehearsal segments too, and always skip over the coaches post-performance comments.  Until someone tells me that constructive, helpful comments (whether good or bad) are part of the show, I'm done with that part of the lives.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Noreaster said:

I think watching the rehearsal footage contributed to my enjoyment of this episode.  The coaches were very involved and provided a lot of arrangement and performance suggestions.  I skipped over almost all of the coaches' comments afterwards though.

I do the same since I enjoy the coaches' feedback.  This is where you can see Alicia giving helpful advice.  It's in the live show comments that she sounds like Pharrell.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I also never watch the 'dramatic music/ stand of death' thing, either.  I just see who's crying at the end.  Or see who's not there next week.  

I don't watch the pageant questions. It takes some skill to FF *just* until the pageant questions are over, and before Carson makes the announcement, but I have mastered it!!

• Love 4