Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Episode 3

AmandaPanda
  • Start Topic

Ugh. I kind of feel like introducing a new character's perspective is a waste at this point. I really want to find out why Allison doesn't want to have any contact with Noah anymore, or did I miss something as to why?

Brendan Frasier plays creepy very well. The last movie I remember him in was George of the Jungle since my teen son owns it. 

• Love 15

First half: Zzzzz. Do not care about Juliette. Why does she get her own POV? I can't believe that we had to sit through the dinner all over again. 

Wow, I thought for sure that Noah's stabbing was a hallucination. That guard could have done it or it was self-inflicted.

Noah's kids are such a-holes. He almost died and they don't even care. 

Brendan Frasier IS creepy. I kept wondering when we'd see Noah's shoulder injury.

I hope the next episode is better.

• Love 14

The dinner party scene was so painfully awkward I FF'd through huge portions of it during the premiere.

Now I feel like the kid who was allowed to go to bed without finishing dinner, only to find it cold and congealed on my breakfast plate the next morning. 

• Love 18
47 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Wow, I thought for sure that Noah's stabbing was a hallucination. That guard could have done it or it was self-inflicted.

The guard looks pretty big and burly, so I wouldn't expect him to be all stealth in getting into Noah's apartment and close enough to stab him without Noah hearing him.  But he seems creepy enough, so why not, I guess?

Juliet, sorry your booty call visit to Noah's apartment didn't turn out as planned, but I really didn't need to see her POV on that dinner or anything else.  Why is her husband old enough to be her dad?  And he has dementia of some kind?  Sucks to be her.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

FFS, why does Eau So French get her own POV before Cole gets one? She's a walking cliche, and that dinner scene was already terrible television the first time around.

51 minutes ago, izabella said:

Why is her husband old enough to be her dad?  And he has dementia of some kind?  Sucks to be her.

He was a "famous" professor and she was his student when they met. Because of course she was. How original.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

FFS, why does Eau So French get her own POV before Cole gets one? She's a walking cliche,

I was laughing out loud at every French cliche they piled onto Professor Pepe Le Pew they could think of right down to chopping the mirepoix and hinting of the "souffle" for dessert, you know, just in case we'd somehow forget she was FRENCH! A FRENCH LADY FROM FRANCE! Who is zee expert in zee looooooooove. I'm shocked they didn't work in a visit from a mime. Fingers crossed for next week!

I think she was masturbating to that god awful book to take her mind off how god awful it really was. 

3 hours ago, Muffyn said:

I want every one of  Madame Professor Eau So Franch's students to get run over and killed by Noah or Helen or the freakin' baby, if need be.  They are insufferable.

^Times a million. 

I think Professor Freedom Fry is the one who went stabby on Noah's neck. Sadly, it wasn't with a guillotine or her shrieking, "Let him eat zee cake!" 

ETA: And am I supposed to believe that the Ghost of Brendan Fraser's Hotness has been obsessed with Noah Solloway since he competed in a swim meet against him in high school?! I fell asleep before the episode ended, so maybe I missed something else. (And is there anyone in Noah Solloway's life who doesn't want to have sex with him, besides me?)

This show, to me, has always been truly terrible but this episode in particular was probably the worst one ever.  

Edited by Guest

Does anyone remember the back story about Noah & his sister Nina regarding the house? I know his dad left it to Noah and Nina's husband resents it because they need the money. So Noah offered to give it to Nina but I don't remember what happened next. 

When they were sitting in the car talking about the house again. Noah told Nina to sell it and she said she couldn't and he knew why. Does anyone have a clue what she's talking about?

Also, I don't care about the french teacher and her students. If they want to give Noah a new love interest, fine. But I felt cheated that they spent half the episode on her back story when there is so much to cover with the original 4 central characters.

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, HollyG said:

Does anyone remember the back story about Noah & his sister Nina regarding the house? I know his dad left it to Noah and Nina's husband resents it because they need the money. So Noah offered to give it to Nina but I don't remember what happened next. 

When they were sitting in the car talking about the house again. Noah told Nina to sell it and she said she couldn't and he knew why. Does anyone have a clue what she's talking about?

Also, I don't care about the french teacher and her students. If they want to give Noah a new love interest, fine. But I felt cheated that they spent half the episode on her back story when there is so much to cover with the original 4 central characters.

They have not revealed what is going on with the house and what may have happened thirty years ago. It's another mystery. This is my main struggle with this show. It doesn't know whether it's a brooding meditation on relationships or a police procedural. 

• Love 4

Godawful.  Barely made it through the insufferable first half - the professor is a walking cliche and didn't she say she had ALREADY read Noah's book and thought it was brave or wonderful or something?  So she's actually reading that tripe a second time and is so turned on that she masturbates?  

Second half, fell asleep while Noah was still on the gurney, which I guess means I didn't care if it was a hallucination or not.  This show has not so much run out of steam as it has dribbled out until it's empty.  

Wait, show, I know how to save you!  Get Madame Eau de France's 22 yr old daughter to come to NY for heartbreak comfort and wind up in bed with. . . wait for it. . . Noah!  And maybe her mom, too, why not?  Don't even care enough to hate watch anymore, and I'm not into "not interested watch."  Goodbye, Affair, you just sank back into the ocean.

• Love 15

I find it interesting that Noah has all these women caring for him. He has no men friends.

I have known many many men like Brendan Fraser is playing here. I am not happy to be spending time with another one. I will, just because he's here, but here's me in full body cringe over the fake bonhomie surface and all menace beneath. I'll give points for the character to be Noah's bete noire, rather than any one of the ladies' (since that's how it is in real life, mostly), but still: ick.

Hey! It's Patrick Bauchau from the Pretender as Prof ESF's Alzheimic hubby! (Yeah, I don't know the adjective form of Alzheimer's. Is there even one? Please correct me, ptvers!)

• Love 5
On 11/27/2016 at 10:32 PM, AmandaPanda said:

Juliette finds an alluring prospect for Noah; a terrifying event occurs; Noah must fight to make sense of what occurs.

And what is this "alluring prospect"?  I watched it twice and never saw this addressed at all.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, attica said:

I find it interesting that Noah has all these women caring for him. He has no men friends.

He had that one guy as a friend of his and Helen's from college, the one who bought cocaine from the Montauk coke taxi, and had that ocean house with the gorgeous view, and gave him money to pay blackmail money to Scotty.  But he slept with Helen, so I guess he's gone.

• Love 3

I didn't mind Juliette's perspective. I'm easy to please I guess. I find her really sad and pathetic. Obviously she loves her old husband but she's lonely and looking for some kind of connection.

I think the student (Mike?) and Noah are just an escape from her reality. I could have done without the masturbation and dinner party scenes though. 

Noah sure does hate Helen. She was annoying as hell in the hospital. The kids are major assholes too! Nothing new there. 

• Love 11

I said "you've got to be fucking kidding me" to my computer screen twice - once when French Stereotype Lady started dialing the pink telephone while reading Noah's book, and the second when the student said her real problem with Noah is that she just wants to have sex with him sooo badly.

This is all a parody of The Affair written by a jealous rival of Sarah Treem's, right?

• Love 16
1 hour ago, attica said:

Hey! It's Patrick Bauchau from the Pretender as Prof ESF's Alzheimic hubby! (Yeah, I don't know the adjective form of Alzheimer's. Is there even one? Please correct me, ptvers!)

I don't know either, but "Alzheimec" works for me! 

I don't know that actor but am annoyed that he's a somewhat of a somebody which means he's gonna get more screen time and boy, oh boy, I'm so looking forward to this show exploring his backstory. How about the nurse's? And all of the terrible students' ones, too? Why not? For shits and giggles, why not throw in the cop with the crinkling cup, too?

11 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

French Stereotype Lady started dialing the pink telephone

HAHAHA! THat's a new one to me. 

6 hours ago, HollyG said:

GAlso, I don't care about the french teacher and her students. If they want to give Noah a new love interest, fine. But I felt cheated that they spent half the episode on her back story when there is so much to cover with the original 4 central characters.

Regarding the house, I don't remember either, but maybe there was some molastation going on there years ago?

On 11/27/2016 at 10:32 PM, AmandaPanda said:

Juliette finds an alluring prospect for Noah; a terrifying event occurs; Noah must fight to make sense of what occurs.

1 hour ago, Trace said:

And what is this "alluring prospect"?  I watched it twice and never saw this addressed at all.

14 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I said "you've got to be fucking kidding me" to my computer screen twice - once when French Stereotype Lady started dialing the pink telephone while reading Noah's book, and the second when the student said her real problem with Noah is that she just wants to have sex with him sooo badly.

OMG - that student must be the alluring prospect for Noah.  He's going to have sex with the student.  Of course.  Gross.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jrlr said:

Godawful.  Barely made it through the insufferable first half - the professor is a walking cliche and didn't she say she had ALREADY read Noah's book and thought it was brave or wonderful or something?  So she's actually reading that tripe a second time and is so turned on that she masturbates?  

Second half, fell asleep while Noah was still on the gurney, which I guess means I didn't care if it was a hallucination or not.  This show has not so much run out of steam as it has dribbled out until it's empty.  

Wait, show, I know how to save you!  Get Madame Eau de France's 22 yr old daughter to come to NY for heartbreak comfort and wind up in bed with. . . wait for it. . . Noah!  And maybe her mom, too, why not?  Don't even care enough to hate watch anymore, and I'm not into "not interested watch."  Goodbye, Affair, you just sank back into the ocean.

Did the writers deliberately tone down the visible skin, even during sex scenes?  We saw a lot more in the first 2 seasons. And now the French professor is playing with Noah's libido, coming on to him, then pushing him away.  Ah the frustration!

I assumed the "alluring prospect" for Noah was having sex with Juliette.

Speaking of Juliette, is it just me, or does her husband look a lot like Mark Margolis (ie, Hector Salamanca from Breaking Bad), who played Noah's father?

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I assumed the "alluring prospect" for Noah was having sex with Juliette.

Speaking of Juliette, is it just me, or does her husband look a lot like Mark Margolis (ie, Hector Salamanca from Breaking Bad), who played Noah's father?

Yes! I totally thought that was him at first.

Wow, this was a waste. Why does this show think it needs a police mystery to keep the narrative engine going? I'd rather watch Cole, Luisa and Alison hash it out with a dash of nasty Mare Winningham thrown in occasionally. Also like Helen and her life outside of her douchebag ex.

Noah and everything he touches can DIAF. Do. not. care.

Edited by VioletMarx
  • Love 8

I am in the minority.  I enjoyed Juliette's POV, and it give me hope we will see Luisa's POV soon.  Juliette feels a prisoner in her own life, lured to accept the teaching position based on the (probably false) hope of accessing 4 literary pages ...now she must serve her term.  She's emotional support for her family & students, yet no one is there for her.  It makes sense to me she's blurred the lines between student & teacher, because she's repeating learned behavior.  I enjoyed the camera angles & lighting which highlighted the worry lines deep in her face, as contrast to how Noah viewed her as carefree & sexy.  I also enjoyed how she dressed herself in clothing that appeared drab & shapeless, further symbolizing her prisoner connection ...similar to how Noah was dressed in drab prison-like attire in his POV, yet Juliette saw him as a nicely dressed man, even wearing a tie.

I will be fine if we have no more scenes with Audrey.   I did find it interesting, however, her entire rant was about consent & lack of, yet she believes she should just "f&ck Professor Solloway and get over it" as if her decision is the only one which matters.  Even though Noah is a dirty dog, I don't see him wanting to have sex with her because she's too darn annoying even for a quick thrill.  It doesn't occur to her that consent is not just for a woman to give.

• Love 16

Brandon Fraser's acting is superb.  I feel sick whenever his character enters a scene.  It also makes me think we will learn Alison's disappearance was connected to her trying to get away from Gunther stalking her.  Although she didn't have contact with Noah & she could not have received any warnings he may have tried to send her... so maybe there is no connection there, after all.  Also, Noah would have been hesitant to include any info in a letter to her, since those are read & censored by prison staff.

Loved how Noah sees Helen as the duplicate of her mother, barking at the nurse & acting self-important.  Noah clearly regrets the huge sacrifice he made for her, and she is entirely insensitive to how he has changed as a person from the experience.

Boy, Noah's probation officer is going to be pissed he didn't notify her immediately of the stabbing.  I wouldn't want to go against that woman.  Loved her as a character, though, and I hope we see more of her.

I think Noah's sister was referring to the guilt she feels that she left Noah to care for their mother, and that their mother died in the house ~30 years before.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, attica said:

I kinda miss Max, his and Helen's old friend, and I want him back.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

This is all a parody of The Affair written by a jealous rival of Sarah Treem's, right?

I doubt Audrey actually said that. Since it was Juliette's POV, I bet that she was thinking that the student probably just wanted to f**k Noah and projected her thoughts onto the memory of the dialogue . 

Brendan Fraser/Gunther is super creepy. Have we seen him on screen when any other characters were present? if he is real, my guess is that we will find out that he raped Noah in prison. :(

I am looking forward to when Noah and Helen's bratty kids find out that he sacrificed himself for their mother. 

• Love 5

I've been on the fence with this show since last season... straddling between "this is bad, but fun enough to hate-watch" and "this is just bad... I'm out of here." I think this episode just pushed me over into the latter.  

Back in season one, I thought the differing POV's made sense, in the context of a murder investigation, as Noah and Alison relayed their stories to the detective. Once the detective was out of the picture, and those conversations ended, the different versions of the stories continued, but didn't really seem necessary. Now, to me, it's just a gimmick that serves what purpose? To see tedious events played over a second time (dinner party, for example). This show has ceased to be interesting to me. The characters are all unlikeable.  But this episode had to be the worst.  I don't care about anything that's going on anymore. Le shark, I believe he has jumped, no?

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 15
Just now, nara said:

Brendan Fraser/Gunther is super creepy. Have we seen him on screen when any other characters were present? if he is real, my guess is that we will find out that he raped Noah in prison. :(

I think he was the same guard in the scene where Helen visits Noah in prison, so he's real.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Bcharmer said:

The characters are all unlikeable.  But this episode had to be the worst.  I don't care about anything that's going on anymore. Le shark, I believed he has jumped, no?

Mais oui!  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, nara said:

I am looking forward to when Noah and Helen's bratty kids find out that he sacrificed himself for their mother. 

I sort of was, too, but then remembered they will then turn their brattiness on her and deify Noah. At least, unlike every other character on this show, they probably won't want to fuck him.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, VioletMarx said:

I sort of was, too, but then remembered they will then turn their brattiness on her and deify Noah. At least, unlike every other character on this show, they probably won't want to fuck him.

Not sure if they will turn on her in the same  way. I get the impression they believe Noah deliberately killed Scotty, but in her case it would definitely be a drunk driving accident. we'll see...

As for not wanting to have sex with him, don't be so sure. Whitney has already had the lesbian and older man relationships and she may want to try incest next. ;)

I really loved Juliette's POV, the delicacy of the acting. Her loneliness and sorrow were palpable but without any histrionics. Irene Jacob is an amazing actress. I'm a little tired of Helen and Allison, so it's good to have a woman of some real maturity on the show. They have chemistry, too, more chemistry than Noah has had with any of his love interests. I could just listen to them discuss books and sex and bullshit for an hour. They engage each other's intellect, which hasn't happened to Noah before. Also, since he almost died, he should sleep with the student. 

• Love 5

That was so cliched and dreadful - especially that dinner party, which we were forced to sit through twice  - that I canceled the series recording.  There is literally no character I really feel like I have any interest in watching.  I especially don't want to watch Noah being brutalized in prison.  And I am probably the biggest fan of the Dominick West, who I consider to be sexy beyond description.

"Pink telephone" - ha ha, that's the best thing related to this episode. 

7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I don't know either, but "Alzheimec" works for me! 

I don't know that actor but am annoyed that he's a somewhat of a somebody which means he's gonna get more screen time and boy, oh boy, I'm so looking forward to this show exploring his backstory. How about the nurse's? And all of the terrible students' ones, too? Why not? For shits and giggles, why not throw in the cop with the crinkling cup, too?

HAHAHA! THat's a new one to me. 

Don't worry, the husband and nurse will get their own POV episode next week so we can see all the detailed nuance involved in his eating of yogurt.

I was kind of enjoying Brendan Fraser being all Misery with his very own number one favorite author and was inserting cockadoodie into his dialog in my head, then the line was crossed from creepy into dangerous.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 3

I'm trying not to reflexively hate this season and keep my Sunday night Negan-loathing directed where it belongs. I re-watched some of season 1 & 2, which I think were better than I remembered. I even liked Irene Jacob this episode and found her over-Frenching so much more tolerable. But...I'm not sure where the show is going with a Juliette POV. I mean - I like the show to have twists but we're going into episode 4, there's a three-week break after episode 5 and much of these three eps have felt like stale air. I feel like Noah's dad/prison guard thing is going to go on forever and I find that annoying when Maura Tierney & Ruth Wilson are sitting on the bench.

6 hours ago, Bcharmer said:

Back in season one, I thought the differing POV's made sense, in the context of a murder investigation, as Noah and Alison relayed their stories to the detective. Once the detective was out of the picture, and those conversations ended, the different versions of the stories continued, but didn't really seem necessary. Now, to me, it's just a gimmick that serves what purpose? To see tedious events played over a second time (dinner party, for example). 

Yeah, I refuse to re-watch the Noah version of the Dinner Party of Tertiary Characters because I can't live through that dreck a third time to see if I missed something. But for me the POV construct in season 1&2 has been the greatest thing about this show - to watch & listen how actions are explained, excuses are made, and to see how each character views themselves in contrast to others in the story. That may be why it sets my hair on fire when the episodes have no Helen counterpoint to Noah. But as it's been pointed out to me here, I block all the 'Helen was the driver and she had a DUI' detail from my memory. Because Maura Tierney is amazing and Noah Solloway sucks eggs.

And I'm really hoping the show doesn't expect that making Noah a victim will make Noah likable. Which, to the writers, probably means I want to have sex with Noah.

• Love 3

Okay, I have stuck with this show from the beginning and whatever it's flaws, have for the most part enjoyed it. But I am sorry, I am not here for the "everyone is obsessed with and wants to fuck Noah Solloway and Alison Bailey" show - hell freaking no. When the student said how much she wanted to fuck Noah, this was the point where I almost shut the episode off. Like give me a freaking break already. And even the damn guard is obsessed with Noah? Seriously, are you kidding me?

And there's Alison (yes I know she wasn't in this episode but it always applies) - poor, tragic Alison who has never met a man who didn't want to fuck her. And even this season, despite leaving him for Noah, screwing creepy Oscar (yes I know he doesn't know about that), lying about his kid for TWO years, we all know Cole is going to blow up his marriage to Luisa for Alison, who despite her not being worth shit, he's still in love with. No, that's not a spoiler. It's just speculation based on the season long promo. So there's Cole and Helen still in love with Alison and Noah - two of the most selfish, narcissistic assholes that ever was. 

Meanwhile, Noah totally stabbed himself and doesn't remember because he has PTSD from whatever psycho guard did to him in jail. And what the hell was the point of the French woman's perspective? We better get a POV from Luisa if some random lady gets to have a damn POV. Because I for one am very interested in how Luisa sees Alison versus how Alison sees herself. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 13

Thank god I watched the Westworld finale last night instead of this tripe.

I don't think I've disliked anyone on this show as much as I dislike Audrey, the self-righteous student who wants to bang Noah. And this is a show that has WHITNEY SOLLOWAY and Trevor and Martin and all manner of assholes. Seriously, is there anyone likeable at least a little? Cole is possibly the only one for me.

• Love 3

I suspect we had to sit through Juliet's point of view because she found Noah after the attack.  They wanted us to see that and she was the object they used to do it.   Hopefully I don't have to sit through her point of view again.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Bwah! When the ep opened on OSF and the book I grumbled out loud, "Meh, now watch, she's gonna reach between her legs." Then when she actually did, I groaned "I was just kidding!!!"

• Love 4

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/04/arts/television/the-affair-season-2-episode-3-recap.html

For the first time this season we got to play Spot the Differences. In Noah’s telling, he had worn his lumberjack look (open-necked plaid shirt) to Juliette’s dinner party; in hers, he sported a professorial shirt and tie. Noah had heard Juliette cite medieval courtly love as an arena in which women took charge; Juliette heard her student Audrey use it as an example of male oppression. Noah had recalled being led upstairs by Juliette; for Juliette, he was upstairs already, waiting.

The students’ certainties and self-entitlement were just as cartoonlike in Juliette’s view as they had been in Noah’s, and perhaps that’s the point—we’re seeing the young people through jaded, middle-aged eyes—but it’s not very interesting. When we did see a new facet of one of the young characters, it was (surprise!) Audrey’s admission that she’s obsessed with having sex with Noah. In this show, finding out that a woman wants to climb into bed with Noah is like finding out that a child wants ice cream three times a day.

• Love 6