Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: It's Worse Than We Thought

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

Just now, Granny58 said:

It was all an act, he didn't respect the idea at all.  

It was all poorly scripted TV. TLC probably said they wouldn't pay for more than one wedding a season. So they created this story line for Mykelti and FT where they need to rush into marriage for some non-spoken reason, Kody and Christine freak the hell out over finances for the first time in their lives and FT makes a stupid, banker's comment about loans. This episode showed how really bad they are at acting (with the exception of the Kody/Meri talk, as taragel so excellently described).

When Kody and the Wives were pumping out kids in the early years, they had absolutely no thought about how they were going to pay for weddings, education, medical expenses, etc. Now that TLC is here, they are slaves to the Reality TV Schedule. I can see Kody pulling FT aside and telling him he is the sacrificial lamb this season, story line-wise. "Suck it up, Buttercup and you will be rewarded!"

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Oh Tony was previously engaged alright - back when their engagement was first announced I checked his Facebook and if memory serves he was engaged to another chick sometime in 2015. He's probably wiped his social media by now - all I can say is that girl dodged a bullet. 

He's supposedly a banker. Don't get those visions of Mr. Banks from Mary Poppins in your brain, most likely he has no business degree and is an entry level teller and also sells home equity loans on commission. Hmmm. 

Unfortunately Meri is probably stuck - the house is in both her and Kody's name, most likely has zero equity, and she allegedly told the catfish that she looked into selling the house and was told she couldn't. I think most of that catfish essay is bullshit but my guess is Meri confided some truths to JO and this was one of them.

Tony's a banker the way Kramer's a banker. Like when Newman and Kramer dreamt up Kramer always wanting to be a banker to get out of paying a speeding ticket on Seinfeld. 

• Love 15

Yeeesh, those crazy eyes:

Holy cats, that picture is beyond creepy.  I guess the guy can't help how he looks but geez, louise, get a haircut or at least comb that mophead mess.  Don't know Mykelti from any of the generic Brown females but she should seriously consider a rewind of her decision.  This can come to no good end.

I hearty thanks to all of you who actually watch this pot of swill.  I haven't watched in years.  Get all the snark and info I need from the excellent posts!  Ditzy and Dopey - great names.

• Love 4

FT in banking, eh?  No, he is a teller. That puts him in a bank but not in banking, big difference. 

Meri was in search of love when she met the catfish.  I don't think it was about an empty nest, finding herself or bordum.  She has been in pain about her situation since season one.  She is not cut out for this lifestyle.  Janelle is the only one who does ok with it as far as I can tell.  Robin loves it.  Well until she is not the favorite anymore. And that will happen. Christine is next in line for another stint at that.  Meri has never had a turn. Their monogamous beginning does not factor into the position of feeling like the favorite among others.

The children getting married and breeding hold zero interest for me.  The only thing left is Meri and Kody's  storyline.  I want action forward with this.  Come on Meri, tell him how you feel and have felt for a long time.  Someone do something. Meri is a lost soul with a broken spirit.  My heart goes out to her.  I have not always felt this way but I do now. 

I wish someone would come along and give her a makeover including dermabrasion and restalyn for her brow furrows and chin. 

And Mariah, have some empathy for your mother.  Do I remember correctly that she does not want plural marriage for herself? 

• Love 5

I feel a little bad for Tony.  I think he's a young, naive kid who's in way over his head, but doesn't realize it.  I believe this comment about the home equity loan was just his sheltered, ignorant response and he didn't realize the ramifications for what was said.  He probably thought it would be so cool to be on camera and found himself very ill at ease.  Now he is getting hammered not only for his ignorant remarks, but for his appearance.  I'm sure it's not fun now.  Lots of people seem to have changed their opinions of Caleb and it must be upsetting for Tony and Mykelti to have all of these negative comments while Maddie and Caleb are the darlings.  I hated the way they kept worrying about upsetting Maddie, as if that's the reason this wedding should be postponed.  How about, they are too young and immature and should give themselves time to get to know each other?  I see that both Janelle and Maddie must be difficult to deal with since it was said how they would be upset over another wedding.  With so many kids back to back weddings are bound to happen.  If Maddie is upset, she has only to look to Mom and Dad to place the blame.  There are plenty of good reasons to postpone this wedding, but Maddie and Janelle's feelings are not on the list.  I don't blame Mykelti for being hurt over that.  I hope she is happy, but I don't hold out much hope. 

As far as the Meri and Kody discussion.  Meri is ridiculous in the way that she wants everyone to forget the hurtful things she did and move along.  She wants no blame and to do no work to regain trust.  I actually don't blame Kody for wanting to discuss it with the therapist.  You could see Meri getting angrier and angrier, but taking no responsibility.  Kody has responsibility in this, too, but it doesn't seem to me that he is glossing over everything.  I don't like him, but I think she is an awful person.  It's very telling that in the previews Kody says to Mariah that he has some blame in the situation and Mariah says that she doesn't think so.  Unless there was some strange editing, that's a pretty interesting statement. 

• Love 10
17 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

Well, I think the dude fits right in to the family ethic....when talking about Kody's saying having another wedding so soon after Maddie's would "clobber him",... he assumes it's money related, and says something flip about Kody can just take a loan out....against the house...

Ahahahahahahahahaha! Welcome to the family, kid.

I REALLY wish that Kody and the mothers would have said look Mykelti we cannot afford another wedding that soon after Madison's.  You can either get a similar wedding in December or we can pay for a justice of the peace with a buffet at Circus Circus for 5 of your best friends if you want it in August.  Your choice.  And that fiance's comment about taking out a loan because Madison should not compromise?  Did that really come out of your lips young man???  Entitled little assholes.  You are lucky I am not your parent.  You expect someone else to pay when you have a billion siblings all around the same age YET you won't wait?  Get married or not but when its not coming out of your small wallet you take what is offered.  Fucking kids.  That whole storyline made me feel slappy.

Did the parents really drive 1000 miles to taste food?  And it required all but one mom?  Its not Stouffers so its bound to be better than what you are used to.

17 hours ago, taragel said:

I actually thought Tony was reasonably intelligent (at least as much as any of the rest of these fools and possibly more so) and he had the same kind of "sure, dude" skepticism about Kody trying to throw his weight around as most of us here do. I can't believe Mykelti didn't throw their hypocrisy in their face since, if I recall, Kody's courtship of Christine was quite quick and with Robyn it was even faster. 

Maybe Kody is realizing that rushing his weddings meant he married women where he had no real long term interest.  Who am I kidding.  This would require some introspection.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

So is Tony the new Sam? Are we sure he is a bio-male, which I assume is what Mykelti wants? Is she being catfished in person? 

So bear with me here...but a while back I got the smackdown for wondering aloud if Mykelti is a lesbian.  I got the smackdown not because being a lesbian is a bad thing but we aren't supposed to discuss underage children's orientation here.  Well, she's 19 now.  So, anywho, I'm wondering if a very conservatively religious girl might be in denial about that and Tony, whether he's gay himself or transgender, is a safe choice for her subconsciously.  And not that any of that is bad, just that there seems to be something else going on here that I can't quite put my finger on.  Kind of like I couldn't figure out what was going on with Bruce Jenner for years.  But I could be totally wrong, and Tony actually floats her boat for some not obvious at all reason.

• Love 14

Mykelti was described by her mom as "wild" and "boy crazy". She's living up to those expectations. 

I think she's just horny and settling because a guy actually looked at her. FT was also engaged to another girl just before he and M became an item, so there's that whole schoolgirl "someone else wants him, thus he's desirable" thing going on.

Also FT keeps flashing those peace signs/gang signs in so many of the photos of him. Including the one with Christine hugging him and the pic of the family reunion on IG.

• Love 2

The whole money for the wedding thing really bugs me. First it's really stupid to say another wedding will bankrupty Kody because we know that TLC is paying but let's set that aside for a minute. Why does Maddie get whatever she wants for a wedding if it means there isn't money for other weddings which are bound to happen regularly with so many kids close together. There are 17 kids. If you want to go with the idea that the parents should contribute ("traditionally" the groom's parents help with the honeymoon) there should be a standard budget for each kid. So you tell each kid, you get $5000 for the wedding/honeymoon. You can plan the entire wedding for 5k or you can blow it all on your dress. But that's what each kid gets. Then not only is each kid treated equally, but they also know what to expect from their parents so they can plan ahead. 

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

So bear with me here...but a while back I got the smackdown for wondering aloud if Mykelti is a lesbian.  I got the smackdown not because being a lesbian is a bad thing but we aren't supposed to discuss underage children's orientation here.  Well, she's 19 now.  So, anywho, I'm wondering if a very conservatively religious girl might be in denial about that and Tony, whether he's gay himself or transgender, is a safe choice for her subconsciously.  And not that any of that is bad, just that there seems to be something else going on here that I can't quite put my finger on.  Kind of like I couldn't figure out what was going on with Bruce Jenner for years.  But I could be totally wrong, and Tony actually floats her boat for some not obvious at all reason.

I think Fat Tony (love the new nickname) floats Mykelti's boat simply because he's there.  He could be anyone at all, as long as he pays attention to her and gives her a bit of lovin'.  As she said in her People article, "he completes her in every way."  Spoken like a little girl who has the surprise of a lifetime coming down the road when it turns out that Tony isn't quite the knight in shining armor that she thinks he is.  This poor, poor baby . . .

• Love 17
2 hours ago, MV713 said:

Makes me think that she entered her marriage at the young age expecting to be the only wife. 

Ita I think Meri resented having to share kody. I think having to divorce him sent her over the edge

• Love 13
39 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

The whole money for the wedding thing really bugs me. First it's really stupid to say another wedding will bankrupty Kody because we know that TLC is paying but let's set that aside for a minute. Why does Maddie get whatever she wants for a wedding if it means there isn't money for other weddings which are bound to happen regularly with so many kids close together. There are 17 kids. If you want to go with the idea that the parents should contribute ("traditionally" the groom's parents help with the honeymoon) there should be a standard budget for each kid. So you tell each kid, you get $5000 for the wedding/honeymoon. You can plan the entire wedding for 5k or you can blow it all on your dress. But that's what each kid gets. Then not only is each kid treated equally, but they also know what to expect from their parents so they can plan ahead. 

This is completely logical and very well-thought out.  Hence, it would never fly with the Browns.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, JoannKB said:

This was creepy. Kody kept saying he and Tony were "negotiating the contract" like he was selling off his daughter for two goats and a cow.

TLC must have classes for the fathers with a gazillion kids to support.  The class is called Making Sure The First Guy That Gives Your Daughter A Second Glance Is Roped In As A Husband.  Part of the class material includes Apologizing on Social Media for the Dumb-Ass Things the Boyfriend Says; Glossing Over the Fact That Said Guy Has No Visable Means of Supporting The Daughter; Keeping the Future Offspring Under Your Headship Thumb; Mastering the Art of Really Creepy and Disturbing Sex Talks; Milking Courtships and Weddings for Ratings and Popping Out Grandchildren as Fast As Humanely Possible.

Graduation from said classes are required for the TLC gravy train to continue to stop at your compound.  It appears that Jim Boob Duggar and Kody completed their classes with flying colors.  

• Love 23
2 hours ago, taragel said:

He and Meri didn't divorce because they were struggling and had been for years but because of some ridiculous paranoia about adopting Robyn's kids immediately for their own protection.

Yet two weeks or less later the kids were with the father the marriage and adoption were to protect them from.  It was all so much hooey of Robyn getting the spot to be the only legal wife.

2 hours ago, taragel said:

To be truly honest with anyone it would require him to be truly honest with himself first and I don't think he wants to do that at all. I think that's why polygamy was so appealing to him, he could surround himself with as many crowds as possible and never have to be alone with himself or delve into his own deluded brain.

This.  I have doubts that Kody has ever taken an honest look at himself and I agree he's always in motion or stirring things up so he doesn't have to try.  Dealing with anything in a forthright and honest manner seems to be far beyond him.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The elephant on the patio in the Kody and Meri conversation is that Kody divorced Meri to marry Robyn, and Meri was hurt. While Meri is being publicly raked over the coals for her catfishing folly, he'll never admit he dumped her to marry his favorite young thing. I truly believe this is what he did. He is covered by their religion and doesn't have to take the blame for anything that goes on in this dysfunctional group. Meri will be punished as long as she stays. I don't especially like Meri, but I loathe Kody. 

This show actually does a service by showing just how sick this whole polygamy thing really is. 

In normal life, if a man dumps his wife she's not expected to hang around, watch his new relationship, and be nice and happy and grateful about her replacement. It's just beyond cruel to expect any woman to do this, but the men in these "marriages" will never let themselves think about that. It would both spoil their chances of getting fresh new sex partners and make them realize what shits they really are to do this to another human being and expect her to live this way.

Meri isn't too bright and isn't too strong, but nobody deserves to be treated like this. She has the same needs as anyone else for affection, companionship, and yeah, sex. Kody refuses to provide any of this and fully expects her to starve and do without. Again, that's sick and cruel. 

At least in non-plyg relationships Meri would be encouraged to find a new partner if she wants one. Living in this kind of limbo is sickeningly cruel. Only good thing about this show is how it does, at least, shine a light on what really goes on happy little polygamous families like this one.

• Love 21

With the upcoming decade of weddings for the Browns, you'll be able to see how Kody regards each batch (Meri's/Jenelle's/Christine's/Robyn's) of children differently.  Christine's children are of the lowest value to Kody.  Jenelle's children have the highest regard in his eyes and will have the nicest weddings.

• Love 1

Well, regardless of how difficult living her life "post Catfish," is for Meri, the other wives seem just fine.  I didn't see a lot of Robyn, but, except for the Mykelti news, Christine and Janelle seemed okay. 

I won't blame Mykelti's immaturity on her parents.  They have adult kids who make pretty good decisions too.  Plus, an only child can also make some incredibly terrible choices as a young adult. My mom who is an only child married at age 17 while a senior in high school!  Her parents were okay with it!  She's still married, 57 years later!  (I'm not condoning Mykelti's decision to marry Tony.)  That is a VERY ODD situation.  I can't wait to find out what the real story is. 

• Love 1

Fat Tony irked the living hell out of me. His voice was creepy (I can't see how Mykelti stands it) and he needs to wear clothing items that don't highlight his big round belly. Speaking of which, Kody in that too-small red sweater last night was hilariously awful.

My blood boiled when I heard him say, "[Kody] can just take out a home equity loan to pay for the wedding" -- who the hell do you think you are, Fat Tony? You think you're too good for a backyard wedding? If your bank teller job in the middle of no where (LOL at him being referred to a "banker" when he's nothing but a glorified ATM) can't cover the costs, either save for a big wedding or do it on the cheap. What an entitled, opportunistic buffoon. I can't wait for his rude wake-up call when he realizes that the Browns don't have a pot to piss in. The Browns trying to save face on Twitter, saying his home equity loan comment was a joke and can be chalked up to him being nervous was a load of baloney too. 

Unrelated note, the baker in Bozeman, MT had the most soothing, beautiful voice. She could be a real looker too if she lost weight. Just don't go on Janelle's weight loss plan! Unless she wants to lose 1 lb every two months.

Okay, the conversation between Kody and Meri was refreshing. Usually they talk and talk and talk, but they're not really saying anything. It's usually a load of a malarkey. When Kody was all, "You told me to LEAVE!" and Meri replied, "You said you weren't willing to cross a burning bridge for me!" my eyes moved away from the Candy Crush I was playing on my phone to the television screen. 

I found it funny how Kody played dumb and said, "I don't remember that" whenever Meri threw something back into his face. 'Fess up, Kody. You're not fooling anyone. 

I wonder how many of the Browns saw Meri's banana photo?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

Manson Lamps   (courtesy of Tony Soprano)

Hysterical.  I watched every minute of this series  and missed this comment. Thanks.

I think early marriage is a side effect of plural families.  Feeling like you are not getting enough attention, read love,  must happen with many kids.  Put Maddie, a clear favorite,  next to a sister of the same age who is getting married and you have a recipe for disaster.  Strong word but this wreaks of desperation to be like her sister. 

Early marriages happen in all kinds of families but my guess is more in this set up.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

LC must have classes for the fathers with a gazillion kids to support.  The class is called Making Sure The First Guy That Gives Your Daughter A Second Glance Is Roped In As A Husband.  Part of the class material includes Apologizing on Social Media for the Dumb-Ass Things the Boyfriend Says; Glossing Over the Fact That Said Guy Has No Visable Means of Supporting The Daughter; Keeping the Future Offspring Under Your Headship Thumb; Mastering the Art of Really Creepy and Disturbing Sex Talks; Milking Courtships and Weddings for Ratings and Popping Out Grandchildren as Fast As Humanely Possible.

Graduation from said classes are required for the TLC gravy train to continue to stop at your compound.  It appears that Jim Boob Duggar and Kody completed their classes with flying colors.  

Toodles, you have my vote for the posting of the day.

If FT is truly a normal heterosexual male (which is debatable) he may have latched onto an AUB chick so he can pick up extra wives along the way.  He'd know that Kadouche would approve and support that whether or not Mykelti agreed.  Perhaps visions of gradeur in thinking he'd be the star of the next polygamy circus?  And dear old dad-in-law can take FT under his wing and teach him the fundamentals of grifting.

• Love 2

Cody should have thought of all of the daughters marriages he was going to have to pay for before lending out his stud services to 4 wives. Now live with it, Kody. This is what you get for thinking with the wrong head. He has many, many years ahead of him of paying for monotonous, boring, way too expensive weddings. I guarantee after the 3rd or 4th he won't be involved in cake tasting, flower selection, food decisions, etc. How many fathers actually do that, anyway? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Toodles, you have my vote for the posting of the day.

If FT is truly a normal heterosexual male (which is debatable) he may have latched onto an AUB chick so he can pick up extra wives along the way.  He'd know that Kadouche would approve and support that whether or not Mykelti agreed.  Perhaps visions of gradeur in thinking he'd be the star of the next polygamy circus?  And dear old dad-in-law can take FT under his wing and teach him the fundamentals of grifting.

I don't think FT is able to think far ahead enough to that point. He just wants to be on TV.  

He's a bigger buffoon than Kody, who thought that was even possible?

Clearly, Maddie and Caleb's appeal is limited since they seem to be a nice normal young couple so they'll get boring really quick.  Logan and his GF too. 

Whereas M&FT are a made in TLC heaven train wreck.

• Love 8

Regarding discussion of TLC paying for all the weddings.  I don't think so.

Used to be, the Browns would rent multiple RVs and drive across the country (with Kody and the wife-du-jour shacking up in a nearby hotel).  Lots of trips to places no one else wants to go.

Then came the Hawaii trip.  They stayed at a "retreat center" . . . at about 10% of the cost of what real hotels would have cost them.  Their "luau" had one guy playing a ukelele during their picnic dinner.  All looked pretty cheap-o.

Maddie's wedding seemed very nice, if not terribly expensive.  TLC will contribute less (if any) to subsequent weddings, because they won't be the "FIRST.  BROWN. CHILD. GETTING. MARRIED."

From this point on, less time and money will be spent on the kids' weddings.  

Until Mariah gets married.  At Westminster Abbey.  With the pope officiating.  (Or that's what Kody will try to pull off.)  Because . . . Mariah.

• Love 18

Yeah I think the first few weddings will be courtesy of TLC but I don't think the younger kids should count on a TV wedding. 

After M&FT, TLC will pay for Logan (unless he has the  scruples to turn it down) then maybe Hunter because he's been popular... After that... crickets. Unless some of the kids decide to have joint weddings.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 2

Maddie was bugging me a little with her constant comments about her husband being redneck, and some of the cake and wedding ideas "too redneck". Caleb looks like an outdoor type of guy that probably likes to hunt and fish and would probably be perfectly happy living in a cabin in the woods some day so she needs to lay off of those comments. And since when did she become so high and mighty? Maddie, honey, you come from a family of grifters so settle yourself down. 

• Love 14
33 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

With the upcoming decade of weddings for the Browns, you'll be able to see how Kody regards each batch (Meri's/Jenelle's/Christine's/Robyn's) of children differently.  Christine's children are of the lowest value to Kody.  Jenelle's children have the highest regard in his eyes and will have the nicest weddings.

TLC  pays for the weddings and stages all the planning steps to create an episode so his favoritism will be masked in some regard.  I think it will be easy to read between the lines enough to gauge his enthusiasm, though.

6 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Maddie was bugging me a little with her constant comments about her husband being redneck, and some of the cake and wedding ideas "too redneck". Caleb looks like an outdoor type of guy that probably likes to hunt and fish and would probably be perfectly happy living in a cabin in the woods some day so she needs to lay off of those comments. And since when did she become so high and mighty? Maddie, honey, you come from a family of grifters so settle yourself down. 

That was all in fun.  He is proud to be a redneck of sorts so I saw it as loving banter.  They are well matched and their love for each other shows, and good friends, too. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 8

MarysWetBar :

I have been chuckling all day thanks to your FT post.   Dreary raking of leaves helps with a great laugh.

Since some of us have doubt as to his or her.......is Fat Tony interchangeable with Fat Toni?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Regarding discussion of TLC paying for all the weddings.  I don't think so.

Used to be, the Browns would rent multiple RVs and drive across the country (with Kody and the wife-du-jour shacking up in a nearby hotel).  Lots of trips to places no one else wants to go.

Then came the Hawaii trip.  They stayed at a "retreat center" . . . at about 10% of the cost of what real hotels would have cost them.  Their "luau" had one guy playing a ukelele during their picnic dinner.  All looked pretty cheap-o.

Maddie's wedding seemed very nice, if not terribly expensive.  TLC will contribute less (if any) to subsequent weddings, because they won't be the "FIRST.  BROWN. CHILD. GETTING. MARRIED."

From this point on, less time and money will be spent on the kids' weddings.  

Until Mariah gets married.  At Westminster Abbey.  With the pope officiating.  (Or that's what Kody will try to pull off.)  Because . . . Mariah.

Surely TLC staged this to give the appearance that the Browns paid for it.  They maintain the idea that the Browns pay their own way.  Not very well either since no one works enough to pay for a pot luck, backyard wedding let alone airfare to Hawaii.  When they are filming it is on TLCs dime, has to be. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

We go to Las Vegas almost every January and are lucky enough to pretty much always hit low to mid 70s temperatues. (Except last year where it was colder than where I travelled from in Canada). I hate really hot weather and that is my fav temps. Though I don't understand why Mykelti would want to get married in August when average daytime temp in LV is over 100. I would definitely want to get married inside then! 

Ok.  The temp here is in the mid 50s today, but the wind is blowing and the wind is cold.  The temp in August is roughly the same as the surface of the sun.  I wouldn't want to have an outdoor wedding any time other than fall or spring.

• Love 4

I hate outdoor weddings no matter how nice the weather.    The sun is in your eyes half the time, a breeze can blow debris in your food, you have to go all the way inside to use the bathroom, it is not always pleasant when you have to be dressed for a wedding.  A nice buffet and an open bar in a good restaurant for me.  Just sharing. :-) 

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I hate outdoor weddings no matter how nice the weather.    The sun is in your eyes half the time, a breeze can blow debris in your food, you have to go all the way inside to use the bathroom, it is not always pleasant when you have to be dressed for a wedding.  A nice buffet and an open bar in a good restaurant for me.  Just sharing. :-) 

Thank you!  If everything lines up perfectly, a short outdoor small ceremony might go well, but most of the time, it sounds better than it is.  Of course, maybe it's just that way in the south, but we have so many issues with RAIN, humidity, bugs, mosquitoes, wind, heat, etc.  Your heels dig into the earth, flowers get damaged, props blow over, etc.  We'll see how Maddie's goes.  Even with a tent outside, lots of things can go wrong.  

Kody was joking about drinking cocktails, right?  I thought the comment by Maddie about their friends who cannot control their behavior when drinking had to be curtailed by the bartender was ODD.  In that case, I WOULD NOT SERVE alcohol OR just don't invite those guests. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Mykelti was described by her mom as "wild" and "boy crazy". She's living up to those expectations. 

I think she's just horny and settling because a guy actually looked at her. FT was also engaged to another girl just before he and M became an item, so there's that whole schoolgirl "someone else wants him, thus he's desirable" thing going on.

Also FT keeps flashing those peace signs/gang signs in so many of the photos of him. Including the one with Christine hugging him and the pic of the family reunion on IG.

But Mykelti had a nice, normal boyfriend before. The one that Kody scared off with the hormone exchange lecture. Tony's not the first boy who has looked at her.

I can't imagine him being engaged before ups his desirability at all. To me that would be a red flag.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

But Mykelti had a nice, normal boyfriend before. The one that Kody scared off with the hormone exchange lecture. Tony's not the first boy who has looked at her.

I can't imagine him being engaged before ups his desirability at all. To me that would be a red flag.

Not the first boy, but maybe the first one after that John guy, who seemed like a bit of an ass but way better than Tony. 

And I hear you, but these are children we're talking about, mentally speaking.  I read earlier that there was a bit of a Twitter war going on regarding the former FT Fiancee, and Mykelti probably thought ohhhh yeah he's a catch alright.  Plus wanting to one-up Maddie, and wanting to piss off Kody and demonstrate that she is, indeed, the wild child.  Christine should've kept her mouth shut on that.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, okerry said:

This show actually does a service by showing just how sick this whole polygamy thing really is. 

At least in non-plyg relationships Meri would be encouraged to find a new partner if she wants one. Living in this kind of limbo is sickeningly cruel. Only good thing about this show is how it does, at least, shine a light on what really goes on happy little polygamous families like this one.

And yet, it makes each of them better!  They've got something really awesome!  Fam'ly, not just the caveman!  Shoulda been together from Day One!

2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I thought this, too.  He regards his kids like he regards his wives.  And since Janelle gave birth not only first, but to the first son, Kody likes her best.  Plus she popped out even more boys so Kody could pound his chest and whatnot.  Poor Christine was doomed with all those girls (and Paedon, who is rapidly approaching the size of a giant).  Actually, come to think of it, I'd love to see Kody and Paedon get on the wrestling mat and watch Kody's beady eyes dance in fear.  Maybe for an upcoming episode, TLC?

2 hours ago, NotEatingKale said:

Okay, the conversation between Kody and Meri was refreshing. Usually they talk and talk and talk, but they're not really saying anything. It's usually a load of a malarkey. When Kody was all, "You told me to LEAVE!" and Meri replied, "You said you weren't willing to cross a burning bridge for me!" my eyes moved away from the Candy Crush I was playing on my phone to the television screen. 

I know, right??  Angry Birds here.  I was super confused that they seemed to actually be dancing very close to the edge of the truth.

1 hour ago, booboopbedoo said:

I thought Tony was a bit challenged mentally but had a big Burrito

OMG NEED THE BRAIN BLEACH PLZ HURRY

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 9

I don't know anything about the broken engagement but I'm sure there is a story there.

Just my opinion, but I don't get any vibe from Mykelti that she wanted to steal Maddie's thunder in any way, unless it was a subconscious nod to what her "mothers" are always doing to get attention. She doesn't strike me as mean that way. I can't figure out what her motivation is, and I'm not sure if it's because this was all scripted for drama or what. Not showing any convo with Maddie is suspicious. The "I'm safe with him" comments are pretty interesting and that's what I'm pondering at this point.

• Love 2

I don't think Mykelti was taking away from Maddie, but using this as an opportunity to test Kody.   Is he willing to give her what Maddie has?   He never said let me financially recover from this wedding so you can have the same thing.   Nope, then Christine offers her a back yard wedding.   Ouch.   I can't wait for Kody to see Tony's comments about a home equity loan (what equity???).      How is it Mykelti is dating this guy for 5 months and they are completely unaware?   At least they knew Maddies fiance, and his family.  They have no clue about Tony - and I'd be a little concerned too.   Yes, he has cleaned up his FB page - because it was filled with pics & announcements about his former engagement.   I don't think she's the horny one, I think it's Tony!   He's been Mormon for a relatively short time, and is trying to adhere to their teachings, so he knows if he wants sex, it requires marriage.   Also, during his "talk" with Kody - there was no discussion of what kind of job he has, his educational background (something unimportant to the Brown's), or his family.   How do they feel? 

So I guess the wedding is Dec. 17th - and it won't be outdoors.   I bet it's a very scaled back version of Maddie's.  

Meri is out the door.    She can barely speak to him without a look of disgust.   Robyn looked horrible, and like she was just there because she had to for TLC.   Christine seems to be making some kind of a comeback - which probably pisses Robyn off.   Janelle is non-committal.  Hell, she can't make a decision to buy a wreath, she will never make the decision to leave.    This house of cards is crumbling, and I LOVED the producers talking to Kody about what he/Meri were talking about.   Just admit it - there is no marriage.  They aren't fooling anybody.

• Love 10

I think Tony has a lot of nerves telling Mykelti her parents should take out a home equity loan to pay for their wedding. 

Exactly!  Mykelti and Tony have a right to get married when they want, but Kody and Christine have the right to say they can't afford it so soon after Maddy's wedding and that if they wait, they WILL be able to afford it next year.  Either they wait for a wedding paid by the parents when they can do it or pay for their own wedding now if they don't want to wait.  To assume parents should go into debt for a wedding is insane.  It is a gift when parents pay for their children's wedding and also should depend on what they are comfortable paying.  Maybe Mykelti and Tony should starting thinking more about how they can contribute $$$ to their own wedding and face a little reality. 

Sorry, but I'm with Kody and Christine on this one....if they can't wait, then they should finance their wedding on their own.  What is the friggin hurry?  Yeah, I know, the purity thing.  I'm seeing nothing but red flags on this relationship.

• Love 9