Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Mirror Image

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

When I said I wanted more Mr. Scratch, I wanted a bad guy who could take the BAU to new levels and see them have to pursue cases that would require them to explore new avenues they never explored before. Sure, learning Tara's backstory was nice, but Mr. Scratch really gained nothing out of it, and we as viewers gained nothing out of it. I don't think there are many of us who didn't believe Scratchy couldn't mind trick with the best who have mind tricked the BAU, so an episode where he did that doesn't establish anything new.

Actually, for me, the most interesting thing about Mr. Scratch wasn't 'Mr. Scratch'.  It was what he'd done to Hotch, and the fact that Hotch was not quite ready to acknowledge it.  I wouldn't have cared if we'd never seen the character again, if only we'd seen play out the after effects on the leader of the BAU.  The time for that, obviously, would have been last season.  Since they missed that (pretty obvious) opportunity, but have chosen to bring Mr. Scratch back this year, I guess I will hope that they have a suitable denouement in mind.  But I would so much rather it had involved Hotch.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, JMO said:

Actually, for me, the most interesting thing about Mr. Scratch wasn't 'Mr. Scratch'.  It was what he'd done to Hotch, and the fact that Hotch was not quite ready to acknowledge it.  I wouldn't have cared if we'd never seen the character again, if only we'd seen play out the after effects on the leader of the BAU.  The time for that, obviously, would have been last season.  Since they missed that (pretty obvious) opportunity, but have chosen to bring Mr. Scratch back this year, I guess I will hope that they have a suitable denouement in mind.  But I would so much rather it had involved Hotch.

^^^This.  Times a millionty.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, JMO said:

Let me start by saying that there is nothing at all realistic about Mr. Scratch. Which probably goes without saying in Hollywood and the CM world in general, but I think Scratchy can stretch believability even by Hollywood standards.

I don't disagree that what Mr. Scratch did to Hotch should have been explored, and explored in detail. I just also think a criminal so good that they can hack the NSA database and set free many serial killers shouldn't be a one episode wonder.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the episode.  I enjoyed learning about Tara's past and her relationship with brother and father.  I liked watching the team trying to figure out how to deprogram him so they could find out where her brother was being kept.  I'll ignore the slip of JJ calling the fake Gabriel Desmond before they found out who is really was.  And finally it was fun to see Prentiss in charge.  It suits her.

I thought they didn't need Mr. Scratch in this episode at all.  It could have easily worked with another UnSub doing all the manipulation. I'm not a fan of the character just like I thought the Mr. Scratch episode was dull.  I'm also so not a fan of these season long story arcs.  It's hard to care about them when you know they will resolve it at the end of the season so why care about the episodes leading up to it.  The Replicator was boring, whoever they had last season was boring (I never did figure out who exactly it was) and Mr. Scratch is boring.  Foyet worked as a great villain because he was only in two episodes and it was resolved quickly.

Ignoring the Mr. Scatch's useless cameo, I still give this episode a solid B.  So far this season hasn't disappointed. me.

Oh.  Just finished watching the rerun of Crimson King and at the very end they show Mr. Scratch looking at a file and circling a name.  That name was Desmond Holt so that would mean this episode was always intended to be about Tara and not a Hotch one that they had to change to someone else.

Edited by CrimeFan12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, CrimeFan12 said:

Oh.  Just finished watching the rerun of Crimson King and at the very end they show Mr. Scratch looking at a file and circling a name.  That name was Desmond Holt so that would mean this episode was always intended to be about Tara and not a Hotch one that they had to change to someone else.

Thanks, I think that's very interesting.

I've always thought PL wasn't targeting anyone in particular.

He could try the same with every member of the team, including Morgan.

• Love 3

No, all that showed was him reading, i think it was from a list he'd compiled, of names, and it indicated that he had the name Desmond Holt on his list, and that the ID was taken from the DMV of whatever state it was, I'm thinking it was Tennessee.. damn, I coulda sworn I screencapped that but I can't find the dang thing.....

• Love 1

Just watched the episode. Matthew looked very pretty. There was a mild frisson of excitement at the end even though you knew there was no real jeopardy with 3 team members under that nail gun trap, they were sure to get out safely. I just didn't feel any emotion about the story at all - not really warmed to Tara as she seems to just float imperceptibly in and out of the show. For me, the Magic has well and truly left the building. They have lost the ability to achieve those heart stopping moments. And they should have left Mr Scratch well alone. Either they should have picked it up early in Season 11 or left it entirely. After the stellar, scary original episode every mention thereafter just falls short. Sorry if this comes over as negative - it is just how I feel. That wonderful serendipitous balance of concept, cast, writing and production is long gone. The occasional flash of brilliance just serves to remind us of how the show has changed for the worse. And this episode had no brilliance whatsoever.  JMHO of course.

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 2
On 12/3/2016 at 11:10 AM, Bookish Jen said:

If you don't love Dolly then don't talk to me. Dolly is a national treasure.

Okay, now I'm imagining Dolly as as an unsub working 9 to 5 killing people with her many coat of colors, but not with Jolene because Jolene is a tramp. We can call this episode “I Will Always Love You (But I Have to Kill You Anyway).”

On-topic: Pop culture, whether it be movies, music, books and TV, is always going to be subjective and opinions are going to be different for every episode of CM. I did like certain aspects of Mirror Image and others just left me cold. At least we can discuss these things like adults. Believe me, I’ve dealt with some snotty attitudes at other sites, so PTV is for the most part, is a welcome reprieve from all that childishness.

Ok! DEFINITELY! Get Dolly Parton as an unsub! STAT!  Jolene should be her victim. And Reba should be an unsub too!

• Love 3