Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Season 1

• Start Topic

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

I absolutely adore Doc Martin.

My husband did, too... I was unable to like the main character. At all. Although after seven seasons of Rory, I might be better at tolerating that now...🤔

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

My husband did, too... I was unable to like the main character. At all. Although after seven seasons of Rory, I might be better at tolerating that now...🤔

It might help to view this.  Talk about an actor!  Doc is 180 different in real life.  Laughs and smiles ALL of the time, dogs follow him everywhere and he's always petting them.  He's quite a jolly character.

Of course, as a retired nurse, I am used to curmudgeons...

At least Doc is brilliant. Rory is.......Rory, Crown Princess of Stars Hollow For No Apparent Reason.

Edited by Cetacean
forgot a word
On 3/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, Oldernowiser said:

I’m most of the way through the first whatever this is and now I need a shower and one of those memory erasers from Men in Black.

I know this post is several months old, but how funny! And precisely how I feel!
AYITL=suckage.

Edited by SJC

Bringing this over from the Season 6 thread (@andromeda331's post—this site won't let me share the attributed quote):

Like @scarynikki12 mentioned almost every character could have used therapy. The whole Gilmore family Lorelai included really could have used it. Paris because of season 6 and in general her crappy parents.    

And then in the reboot, they did it with Lorelai and Emily, except it ended up being yet another loose thread. Seriously, what was with the red herring about the letter Emily got that Lorelai claims she never sent?

5 minutes ago, Hera said:

Seriously, what was with the red herring about the letter Emily got that Lorelai claims she never sent?

I have wondered about that as well. It's frustrating to have that come up and then not resolve it.
ASP did say that Lorelai was not the author. Still, I want to know who wrote it! My guess is that Trix is the culprit. Who knows ? *sigh*

Edited by SJC

Well, today I learned…

2 minutes ago, SJC said:

ASP did say that Lorelai was not the author.

But seriously, why bring it up if they weren't going to resolve it? Especially since that would have been way more interesting (and likely cheaper to produce) than slogging through Stars Hollow: The Musical.

2 minutes ago, Hera said:

But seriously, why bring it up if they weren't going to resolve it?

I don't know, I find the Palladinos hard to figure out.
You would think Emily could quickly identify Lorelai’s handwriting, but she never brings that up.

I spend way too much time thinking about this show, LOL.

Today's thoughts -

I'm beginning to think ASP was just full of sh!t re: the final four words. I think she put the idea out there as the show began to take off and become popular as a way to insure that she got to milk the success as long as possible while remaining in full control. (A rabid fanbase would insist the show continue so we would some day get to find out the "final four words", after all.) When TPTB called her bluff and instead of cancelling the show altogether, put in a new writer for S7, ASP had to start working toward having some way to get to have the final say. Thus, we get a Revival season several years afterward, but with the "final four words" being a gigantic 'eff you' to everyone involved with kicking her out as well as to the fans who had the audacity to enjoy S7 even though she had no part of it.

No way to prove any of this, of course, but I think ASP is petty enough and so full of herself she would do it.

19 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

I'm beginning to think ASP was just full of sh!t re: the final four words. I think she put the idea out there as the show began to take off and become popular as a way to insure that she got to milk the success as long as possible while remaining in full control.

I have always thought this is the case.  ASP has always been full of crap.

3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

the "final four words" being a gigantic 'eff you' to everyone involved

And the biggest "eff you" to poor Alexis. Remember this wonderful gem of a line:
“I’m feeling very lost these days, I have no job, I have no credit, I have no underwear!”

I hope with all of my heart that AYITL part 2 is written, that everything needed to do it falls into place EXCEPT for Alexis signing a contract, then I hope Lauren refuses to do it without her and everything falls apart and Netflix says, "forget it!"
*laughs wickedly*

Edited by SJC
2 hours ago, SJC said:

And the biggest "eff you" to poor Alexis. Remember this wonderful gem of a line:
“I’m feeling very lost these days, I have no job, I have no credit, I have no underwear!”

I hope with all of my heart that AYITL part 2 is written, that everything needed to do it falls into place EXCEPT for Alexis signing a contract, then I hope Lauren refuses to do it without her and everything falls apart and Netflix says, "forget it!"
*laughs wickedly*

Scott Patterson said on his podcast that he didn’t like it. He said he’d have to see a script before he’d decide to do another one. He hated how dumb they made his character and also what they did with Rory.

15 hours ago, FictionLover said:

Scott Patterson said on his podcast that he didn’t like it. He said he’d have to see a script before he’d decide to do another one. He hated how dumb they made his character and also what they did with Rory.

Yeah, he really looked like he did not want to be there. What a mess.

Edited by peacheslatour

A very tangled mess. 😡

I'll be very surprised if there is a part two. I don't think Alexis and Scott are keen on being involved. And I sure don't blame them.

Kelly Bishop on AYITL part two:

Would you play her again, if there's an opportunity?

Yes, I would. But we've already kind of done that, with those four extra episodes. And I honestly think it's very unlikely that kind of a situation could be pulled together because so many of the important actors in it, they've all gone their separate ways and have other projects and other things to do. It would have to be like a continuation of those four extra episodes, but I just don't see it happening. And I don't see Amy being interested in it, because Mrs. Maisel is such a huge hit and deservedly so. I just don't see her wanting to go back and revisit it. We all loved it, and there might be some opportunity, but it doesn't seem too likely. But sure, I’d play her again. I'd love to.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a36450662/kelly-bishop-halston-eleanor-lambert-interview/

3 hours ago, SJC said:

I don't think Alexis and Scott are keen on being involved. And I sure don't blame them.

Neither do I. To be honest, I'm surprised there wasn't more hesitation from the cast given how much they got yanked around by the Palladinos in the original run. I remember seeing an interview Alexis Bledel did with Jimmy Fallon, who said he was catching up on the show and had just watched the Season 4 finale and was "a little mad at her". It was pretty clear that she thought the Rory/Dean affair storyline was dumb too, but she was diplomatic about it. I haven't seen interviews with Scott Patterson where he's asked about the April storyline, but I'm guessing he also thought it made no sense and didn't appreciate the "Fuck you," that it was from the Palladinos to the rest of the world.

As for those "final four words", I'm inclined to believe Amy about them. In interview after the revival aired, Amy said this:

These two women are very tied. They’re very tied and to me, that history repeating itself and daughter following in mother’s footsteps, where you lead, I will follow — we took the [theme] song very seriously. When we picked those words and we went down that path, it just felt right then and it actually feels even more right now especially because Rory is older. She’s the same age Lorelai was when the show started. It really does feel a little Lion King-y, the whole circle of life.

I actually think that having Rory be pregnant at 31/32 is less reminiscent of Lorelai than her getting pregnant at 22. At 22, her burgeoning journalism career would have been derailed (or at least, would have been at risk of being derailed) by being a single mom, much in the way Lorelai's education was derailed by her teenage pregnancy. Additionally, having Rory be the same age Lorelai was when the show started served to highlight the differences between the characters, rather than their similarities.

1 minute ago, Hera said:

I remember seeing an interview Alexis Bledel did with Jimmy Fallon, who said he was catching up on the show and had just watched the Season 4 finale and was "a little mad at her". It was pretty clear that she thought the Rory/Dean affair storyline was dumb too, but she was diplomatic about it.

YES ! I saw that interview. Poor Alexis, she didn't like it at all.

2 minutes ago, Hera said:

Additionally, having Rory be the same age Lorelai was when the show started served to highlight the differences between the characters, rather than their similarities.

I so agree with you.

12 hours ago, Hera said:

I haven't seen interviews with Scott Patterson where he's asked about the April storyline, but I'm guessing he also thought it made no sense and didn't appreciate the "Fuck you," that it was from the Palladinos to the rest of the world.

He did address it on his podcast. He understands that fans don’t like her because her character was to cause problems for L&L but he loved it. He liked that it developed more layers to his character.

I wonder how much Motherhood will change Rory.
Will she evolve and become truly grown up?
Will she even take responsibility for the child?
Will she be a strict disciplinarian or lax and easygoing?

Edited by SJC
On 8/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, SJC said:

Good questions. It would be nice if it did make Rory grow up and become more responsible. But I really don't see it with her. High school Rory I could see her doing that. But Yale and Adult Rory? We haven't been given a single thing to show that she could and would grow up. She didn't for the career she supposely wanted and couldn't even bother to work or have a place to live. Even though I don't like the storyline I could see Lane tackling motherhood because we've seen her being a go-getter. Finding ways around her mother's rules, joining a band, and even managed to end up with a great relationship with her mother. Paris? I could see it. Although she'd probably call Nanny into help. But if she wanted to she could do it. Teenage Lorelai did and continued to work to try and make a better life for her and her daughter by working her way up at the inn and taking college classes. But Rory? I just don't see it.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:40 PM, SJC said:

Honestly, if we ever got a Revival Part 2 (which I DO NOT WANT, just to be clear LOL) I see Lorelai and Luke raising the baby while Rory continues to jet set around, and everyone continues to pretend this is okay because they've convinced themselves Rory is an Important Woman Doing Important Things. Why that is, is beyond me, but here we are.

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Honestly, if we ever got a Revival Part 2 (which I DO NOT WANT, just to be clear LOL) I see Lorelai and Luke raising the baby while Rory continues to jet set around, and everyone continues to pretend this is okay because they've convinced themselves Rory is an Important Woman Doing Important Things. Why that is, is beyond me, but here we are.

6 hours ago, SJC said:

I think Rory is Christopher. 😣 😢

Agreed. Given how honest they were about Rory in the revival there's no way she's a decent mother. She'll be just like Chris and express affection for her kid while also letting Lorelai (and Luke) handle the hard parts. Rory will be off promoting Gilmore Girls: The Book, writing the screenplay for the inevitable movie, and accepting all the accolades while her mother raises her child. She'll even go so far as to gush about how cute Baby is and maybe pass along some funny anecdotes that Lorelai told her so it will seem like she's a good and involved parent but that kid will grow up knowing there's only a 50-50 chance that Rory will keep her promises. Just like Chris.

When all was said and done Rory became Christopher when we were set up to expect her to become Lorelai. It was an honest and logical conclusion to her story but still so sad. 

6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Revival Part 2 (which I DO NOT WANT

Same here!
Why watch ASP further blow the character of Rory to bits and pieces?
Why watch ASP fully lay waste to Lorelai & Rory's relationship?
Why watch ASP make out Luke to be an even bigger airhead then he was in AYITL 1?

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

She'll be just like Chris and express affection for her kid while also letting Lorelai (and Luke) handle the hard parts.

Absolutely ! I wish that Lorelai would lash into Rory, but it's doubtful that she will. If she did Rory would go off in a huff. It *might* make her see the error of her ways though.

Edited by SJC

AYITL is proof positive that ASP abhors the character of Rory.
While I understand someone floundering due to death/career struggles Rory's storyline went way beyond that in AYITL.
Poor Rory was too bubbleheaded to buy underwear. 😱
She also didn't know how to acquit herself in a job interview.
She was--once again--a disloyal cheater.
She slept with a Wookie ?!? Rory is nothing if not impulsive.
She was out and out inconsiderate, snippy & impolite to Stars Hollow residents.  smh ("I'm not back !" // 'Back Fat Pat')

I actually pity Alexis for having to depict such a pathetic, shoddy character. 

17 hours ago, SJC said:

I'll defend Rory a little and say that Sandee seriously misrepresented the whole process.  I can very much see how Rory would view Sandee as offering her a job versus Sandee wanting to interview her for a position.  That isn't to say Rory shouldn't be prepared with ideas, but I can see why she did not anticipate an interview.  

Honestly, I still don't know why she did not give Headmaster Charleston's proposal much more serious consideration.  I think she would have been an excellent teacher.   

32 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:
18 hours ago, SJC said:

I'll defend Rory a little and say that Sandee seriously misrepresented the whole process.  I can very much see how Rory would view Sandee as offering her a job versus Sandee wanting to interview her for a position.  That isn't to say Rory shouldn't be prepared with ideas, but I can see why she did not anticipate an interview.  

That's a fair point.

32 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Honestly, I still don't know why she did not give Headmaster Charleston's proposal much more serious consideration.  I think she would have been an excellent teacher.

I so agree. I do wish Rory had taken him up on his offer. She would make a fine teacher.

What in the world did Headmaster Charleston mean when he said that Rory was always internally stronger than everyone else ?
Good gravy, that was so peculiar. How did Alexis keep from laughing ?!?
ASP sure wrote some idiotic dialogue in AYITL. SMH

Edited by SJC
10 hours ago, SJC said:

What in the world did Headmaster Charleston mean when he said that Rory was always internally stronger than everyone else ?
Good gravy, that was so peculiar. How did Alexis keep from laughing ?!?
ASP sure wrote some idiotic dialogue in AYITL. SMH

I'm going with the fact that he really did know Emily. 😆😆😆

With a wife in their social circle, he probably knew more about the seamy side of the upper crust than most. Also, Emily was not known for her sweet nature; she got stuff done and fought for power. Not to mention Richard's career reputation.

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but why was Emily so nasty in her & Lorelai's therapy sessions ?
Also, why did she gloat about L/L's communication issues ?
I thought Emily was utterly vile in AYITL, even taking into consideration her transferring the funds set aside for Luke to Lorelai.

Edited by SJC
55 minutes ago, SJC said:

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but why was Emily so nasty in her & Lorelai's therapy sessions ?
I thought Emily was utterly vile in AYITL, even taking into consideration her transferring the funds set aside for Luke to Lorelai.

LOL, why is Emily so nasty in general, when it comes to Lorelai? That was just a standard behavior for her. And she probably still hasn't accepted Lorelai and Luke being together, so she was smug to hear about any problems they might have, probably thinking "I told you so" in her head. 

And I bet she thought that she gets a special pass on her behavior after Richard's death.

41 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

she was smug to hear about any problems they might have, probably thinking "I told you so" in her head. 

For sure. What a mother !

41 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

And I bet she thought that she gets a special pass on her behavior after Richard's death.

Yep, sounds like Emily.
Always 100% in the right no matter what.

15 hours ago, SJC said:

The justification we were given was Lorelai's inability to jump through Emily's hoop of presenting a perfect Richard anecdote after waking up from a long day of funeral ceremonies.

Then, as always, everything is Lorelai's fault, but the only way to get Lorelai to therapy was to manipulate her. 

On the forgivable side, she was deeply saddened by not having her husband anymore and was taking it out on LL. For this I forgive her completely because people do all kinds of horrible things during that initial grief phase. 

The funny/sad thing is, at the end of the original series, Lorelai demonstrated her willingness to listen to Emily's suggestion, e.g. spa.

7 hours ago, junienmomo said:

The funny/sad thing is, at the end of the original series, Lorelai demonstrated her willingness to listen to Emily's suggestion, e.g. spa.

To be fair Emily did seem very pleased at Lorelai's obvious happiness.

12 hours ago, junienmomo said:

The justification we were given was Lorelai's inability to jump through Emily's hoop of presenting a perfect Richard anecdote after waking up from a long day of funeral ceremonies.

In fairness, I think it was that the anecdote Lorelai did give made Richard sound like a lousy parent.  I get that Lorelai felt put on the spot, but I also think she could have done better.  I did think Emily was unfair in her reaction, but it was obviously a very high emotion day.     

On 11/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

Lorelai rushes over to Rory and Luke walks out alone. That's going to be your life, man. Rory is always going to come first.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:02 PM, FictionLover said:

he went home alone on their wedding night...

Good gravy ! So Lorelai & Rory spent Lorelai's wedding night together without Luke in the gazebo ?!?!

This has just occurred to me. The fast banter, the cutesy looks, the charm were so attractive when this show was on and even in the reruns, which is when I discovered it. Watching L and L do it again 10 years later and then adding Rory was so disappointing. It’s no longer cute or charming or attractive. The money must have been really appealing.

I'm beginning to think ASP was just full of sh!t re: the final four words. I think she put the idea out there as the show began to take off and become popular as a way to insure that she got to milk the success as long as possible while remaining in full control. 

To be honest, ASP can spin it however she wants, but she is not a subtle writer, and I really think she was originally setting up the ending so that *Lorelai* would be the one who was pregnant. The dream scene in "Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days" in Season 3 (where Lorelai and Luke were expecting twins,) and the scene in Season 5's "Blame Booze and Melville" (where Lorelai starts eating apples and thinks she's pregnant with Luke's child,) seemed to telegraph that the show would end with Lorelai's pregnancy.

Plus, in Season 6's "New and Improved Lorelai," Lorelai explicitly told Luke that "kids would be good." (Which is why it was bizarre that ASP made it sound like Luke and Lorelai apparently never talked about having kids again after the original series ended. Lorelai was pushing 39 at the end of Season 7, so the issue of kids definitely would have come up.) 

But since the Lorelai character was supposed to be 48 in the revival and likely couldn't conceive naturally at that point, I think ASP was just like, "well, in that case, I'll have Rory be pregnant instead." Kind of like how Lane was originally supposed to marry Adam Brody's character, but then ASP had Lane marry Zack instead after Brody left the series. 

(5 years later though, I still hate the ending of the revival. Ending the show with Rory unexpectedly pregnant just seems like such an awful way to end a show that was always about wish fulfillment and fantasy. The original Season 7 ending - where Rory became a journalist for an online political magazine like Politico and followed Obama on the campaign trail - seemed like a great ending/career arc for her character.) 

Edited by vanillamountain
11 hours ago, vanillamountain said:

To be honest, ASP can spin it however she wants, but she is not a subtle writer, and I really think she was originally setting up the ending so that *Lorelai* would be the one who was pregnant.

Very interesting theory! You could definitely be on to something.

I know this has been discussed, but I am shocked at how much Rory regressed in AYITL.
At the end of S7 Rory was on a good path. She had a job covering Obama's campaign. This job would have surely given her connections, maybe even a job in the Obama WH.
Instead we got a Rory who was flailing like crazy. 
And yes, I get that journalism has changed tremendously, but even so why no network of connections for her ?
Odd. I firmly believe that ASP loathes the character of Rory deeply. 

2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't know if this was discussed somewhere, but that segment about Lorelai wanting to "do Wild" and meeting all of those other women. Please, tell me that it is entirely made up or heavily exaggerated and not influenced by some real life example.

She's referring to the book and movie Wild. Reese Witherspoon was in the movie.