Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Season 1

• Start Topic

I mean there were parts I really liked. Parts I really didn't. It was a mixed bag for me. I laughed out loud during some stuff, Rory tap dancing, Lorelei and her expressions during the musical at times even though it was super long.  

I really dislike Rory's storyline. I don't understand. I also hate Rory's reaction as if she was the wronged party and not Odette and the Paul thing wasn't funny at all. It rang tired after Winter. 

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the part of Rory's story about her floundering in her career. Back around the time GG ended there was a Canadian series Being Erica which opened with that premise, a 32 year old with 2 MAs working in crappy call centre/ junior assistant jobs because she was never able to find her footing in the working world. And that worked well as a premise because it's a real situation that so many people find themselves in. Smart, full of ambition and promise but just somehow never able to find away to fulfil it. Rory having limited success as a freelancer but not enough to have carved out any sort of meaningful career for herself rang true. That said, I don't think that at 32 she'd still have been arrogant enough to have turned her nose up at the online magazine job the way she did.

10 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

sometimes we get 'Squee on this, bitches.' 

Hurt myself laughing at that. So true!

And I have no idea if this was still in my reply box from a previous reply that never went through or for some other reason, so if I'm repeating myself I apologize: I didn't know much about the Palladinos until Bunheads when people were posting interviews all the time, but at that point it did become clear why they haven't had Shonda-level success all these years.

11 minutes ago, random chance said:
10 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

sometimes we get 'Squee on this, bitches.' 

Hurt myself laughing at that. So true!

Heh.  I don't remember if it was the recapper or one of the posters that said that years ago (after L/L got together and then things went south) but it always stuck with me because it is SO true.

17 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I don't think it was all horrible, but yeah.  Pretty much agree with this.

ASP is just so hard to figure out, you know?  Sometimes we get lovely little bits that are obviously a nod to the fans, sometimes we get 'Squee on this, bitches.'  And there's no rhyme or reason to it.

The only plot line that I thought fit this description was Rory's pregnancy. While the Rory/Logan affair was kind of gross, it wasn't completely out of character. The pregnancy bothered me particularly because this is how ASP wanted the story to end when Rory was 22! If I believe this was what she intended, it actually changes how ASP saw Rory and the story itself. It's such a fatalistic view of the world -- that the daughter will repeat the mistakes of the mother and all of Lorelai's hard work and hope for her daughter meant nothing? I certainly hope that's not what she intended to be the "moral" of the story. In order to keep loving the show, I certainly can't adopt that worldview. 

I hated that part -- such a slam against geeks, and for what, considering her snobby friends love to dress up and pretend. I guess Wookies don't pass the Arbitrary Gilmore Test of Things to Laugh At. I also hated the way L and R turned their noses up at the other 30-somethings who had returned to Stars Hollow. Rory probably would know some of them, and she's in the same boat! Gawd.

On 11/27/2016 at 9:59 PM, MerBearHou said:

Turns out that money and entitlement provided the escapism, not the LDB.

On 12/3/2016 at 7:25 PM, annspal said:

I'm finding it amusing to understand Rory's attraction to the Wookie as a misguided attempt to capture the escapism provided by the LDB. Costumes and pretend don't work without the money and entitlement, I guess.

Edited by Andromeda
6 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I hated that part -- such a slam against geeks, and for what, considering her snobby friends love to dress up and pretend. I guess Wookies don't pass the Arbitrary Gilmore Test of Things to Laugh At. I also hated the way L and R turned their noses up at the other 30-somethings who had returned to Stars Hollow. Rory probably would know some of them, and she's in the same boat! Gawd.

I love Star Wars and even I make fun of Star Wars geeks! The worst I'd say about it is that it's a lazy joke -- people in Star Wars costumes are an easy target that have been made fun of by everybody, including probably themselves.

As for Rory and Lorelai turning up their noses at the thirtysomethings, I thought it was their way of being in denial about Rory's situation. 

The pregnancy bothered me particularly because this is how ASP wanted the story to end when Rory was 22! If I believe this was what she intended, it actually changes how ASP saw Rory and the story itself. It's such a fatalistic view of the world -- that the daughter will repeat the mistakes of the mother and all of Lorelai's hard work and hope for her daughter meant nothing? I certainly hope that's not what she intended to be the "moral" of the story. In order to keep loving the show, I certainly can't adopt that worldview. 

I don't know.  Being a pregnant 22 year old college graduate with a huge support system is a heck of a lot different than being a 16  year old high school dropout living in a shed.  I do understand the idea is that it's full circle and the family will now have another single mom, even though Lorelai raised Rory in a totally different environment than the one she was raised in.  I just don't think it means Lorelai has failed.    

Edited by txhorns79
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I just don't think it means Lorelai has failed.    

Lorelei wanted Rory to have more choices, so I think an unplanned pregnancy right out of college could be considered failing. But in that narrow sense only, since otherwise Rory's upbringing was very good.

Now I'm thinking of Emily's furious "we haven't failed until that girl comes home pregnant. THEN we've failed" from Rory's 21st birthday party.  I am assuming that in Emily's mind "fail" means unplanned and single.  I don't know if the show necessarily means that, since a 22-year-old or 32-year-old Rory will still have a lot more choices, and be a lot more aware of the consequences, than a 16-year-old Lorelai. 

The situations are so wildly different that I don't think "full circle" even remotely applies. Rory has a degree and a trust fund, she is never going to have to live in a shed and be a maid or suffer any hardship whatsoever because she's single and raising a child.

I wonder if originally ASP planned for Rory to get pregnant in high school and the network didn't go for it.

Edited by random chance
typo

One of the things that annoy me about the original show was the insistence that Rory was Lorelai 2.0, but better.  I love a lot of the original seasons, but this always felt trite to me.

The way everyone would comment about how they looked so much like sisters.  The two actresses have amazing chemistry, but besides being very pretty white women with brown hair, they really do not resemble each other in the least.

AB was very baby faced when the show started and I would never mistake LG for her sister.

These physical annoyances were not that big of a deal, because I am glad they cast AB and LG for the roles and looked past that.

However, Rory was always a passive dreamy bookish introvert and I loved that about her, because these types of girls rarely get celebrated on screen.

Lorelai was the gregarious pushy extrovert that was just warm enough to be charming, instead of annoying.

They would never have lead similar paths, even if Rory did end up pregnant and living in a shed at 16.

Also, people talk about Lorelai's success at 31.  If Lorelai had not stumbled upon good people and a town that was filled with quirky goodness, her life would have been much harder.  However, to go from daughter of privilege to hotel maid and be good at it, showed incredible ambition and determination.

I never understood why the hell the original show held steadfast that it was journalism or bust for Rory.  To be honest, Rory would have been a good doctor or nurse.  The job that would have been tailor mad for Rory's personality was English Professor and her Ivy league education plus her elite family connections would probably assure her of a good position.  It was almost if the show did not think these types of ambitions were grand enough for her.  It annoyed me the world of the show had two extremes...elite educated ivy leaguer or lovable blue collar working Joe. 

A journalist has to be filled with hustle, curiosity, devotion to hard work that often leads to nowhere, and the ability to put themselves in positions that are totally out of the comfort zone of regular people.  Rory can barely take criticism, forget about traveling to Syria and negotiating with the rebels for journalistic cred.

So the revival felt truthful to me in that respect.

I was also annoyed that it took 10 years for Lorelai and Luke to decide they want to get married and have children.  The children talk should have happened a long time ago.

Anyway, I do not know about how I feel about the revival, but some of the frustrations come out of the original show.

There really should not be a full circle, because 31 year old Rory and 31 year old Lorelai were in totally different places in life.  Not to mention, Rory probably has a lot of family money and will never be in Lorelai's dire straits.  She could easily go to graduate school and get a Phd and hire an amazing French Nanny to look after the baby while she is studying.  Lorelai handed Rory all the privilege she denied herself and should not be surprised that this is not a kid who is used to roughing it.

10 minutes ago, random chance said:

Rory has a degree and a trust fund, she is never going to have to live in a shed and be a maid or suffer any hardship whatsoever because she's single and raising a child.

Technically Lorelai didn't have to do those things either.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

A 32-year-old Rory getting pregnant is entirely on her, IMO. At that point, it's her life.

On her how?

If her pregnancy is being viewed as a negative then I assume there is blame to be assigned. Even then, it takes two get pregnant so it won't be on her alone.

At 31 with marketable skills and a degree from an Ivy League, I hardly see being pregnant at a negative thing. Unless being married is a requirement then I can see how the person would think it negative. 

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
12 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Lorelai handed Rory all the privilege she denied herself and should not be surprised that this is not a kid who is used to roughing it.

This statement takes away from Rory's own achievements and the role her grandparents played. Rory worked her ass off to get into Chilton then into both Harvard and Yale: Lorelai didn't achieve those for her. Yes, she encouraged her to learn and supported her as a mother would but it was Rory's ambition that got her the education she ended with. And her grandparents made her dream of attending Yale a reality. Poor Lorelai, I do feel for her having to deal with her parents for a hours once a week. That is a real sacrifice.

And I also don't think Rory failed at being a journalist. She was well traveled journalist who had published with many prestigious papers for years. That type of gypsy life is not sustainable and it remarkable that Rory who likes structure, discipline and certainty stuck with it for as long as she did. She wasn't satisfied with what she was doing but many would've have been. That to me, is ambition. She wanted more. Rory doesn't have to work a day in her life, she chooses to and for years lived out of a suitcase.

I haven't read many interviews by the show runners but it appears they were setting this hardworking girl to fail and being an unmarried pregnant at 31 is it ? Never mind all that she did achieve over the years of travel and taking over the local newspaper? No wonder Alexis was unhappy with the revival. It is a fuck you to her character 

For Rory's funds, I get the perhaps fanwanked impression that Rory chose to not touch her family money to pay her daily bills but instead leave it as a nest egg for retirement, a down payment on a home, maybe for grad school because Rory regards that as a safe undesirable fallback instead of a financial impossibility, if Rory ever got a great business idea that would require money. It's probably tied up in investments formerly managed by Trix /Richard. That's somewhat prudent and admirable if Rory hasn't been blowing through money when she was rootless and young and if she measures her life success as measured by her income solely based on what she's earned and how she can provide for herself. I think that was the gist of her "I'm broke" speech to Jess. She has family money but she truly aspires to be self made. See her reluctance to call on a small favor from Mitchum.

The negative is that Rory *is* seemingly relying on other's generosity so she doesn't touch her small fortune- if the fanwank is true. That's the most obnoxious with middle class Lane and Zack who have their own burdens and young mouths to feed. However the rest of the time, she's not really a big burden on the people putting her up. Logan and Emily are filthy rich and happy to put her up in style because they don't even miss the money. I have to think Luke and Lorelai are upper middle class at this point from running successful businesses for so long. They don't miss the cost of putting Rory up and they both acted pleased that she was around in Summer and Fall even though Lorelai was looking ahead as the mother concerned about Rory's career. Rory is sort of spoiled to not touch the trust fund but I get that she thinks it's "no harm no foul" to lean on family and friends until she can start supporting herself. 

However a baby changes that equation. 

Edited by Melancholy
18 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

The negative is that Rory *is* seemingly relying on other's generosity so she doesn't touch her small fortune- if the fanwank is true. That's the most obnoxious with middle class Lane and Zack who have their own burdens and young mouths to feed. However the rest of the time, she's not really a big burden on the people putting her up. Logan and Emily are filthy rich and happy to put her up in style because they don't even miss the money. I have to think Luke and Lorelai are upper middle class at this point from running successful businesses for so long. They don't miss the cost of putting Rory up and they both acted pleased that she was around in Summer and Fall even though Lorelai was looking ahead as the mother concerned about Rory's career. Rory is sort of spoiled to not touch the trust fund but I get that she thinks it's "no harm no foul" to lean on family and friends until she can start supporting herself. 

However a baby changes that equation. 

I agree and would even call her selfish for relying on Lane and Zach if it was for more than a week. I honestly didn't think of her staying there as anything than a callback to the time in S6 when she was misplaced and stayed there for a few days with Zach complaining the whole time. I believe Lorelai shut up him with a reminder of him relying on her for a longer period than Rory staying there. It was also a way to weave them into the revival and convey that Rory and Lane are still close friends despite Rory's years of wanderlust. 

I have been rewatching the show so it might be why I have such different views than most. I have also always liked Roy, flaws and all. 

For me it's a negative because Logan is more than likely the father and he's engaged to someone else. That's not a happy thing

I see what you are saying, however there are worse fates in life. 

Yeah, I don't know exactly why she was staying with Lane and Zack in Fall instead of staying in her room at her house. It could have been just a little short slumber partyesque visit which case reflects better on Rory. I think, though, we are supposed to infer that Rory left after her fight with Lorelai at the end of Summer and Rory couldn't resolve things with her mother and move back in because Lorelai left everything on hold for the Wild trip. 

I also think Rory would be uncomfortable staying at Lorelai's while they had this unresolved conflict meanwhile Luke is wandering around the house like a heartbroken zombie expecting Lorelai is in a process to break up with him. 

.....still makes me wish the Revival dramatized that...

48 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

This statement takes away from Rory's own achievements and the role her grandparents played. Rory worked her ass off to get into Chilton then into both Harvard and Yale: Lorelai didn't achieve those for her. Yes, she encouraged her to learn and supported her as a mother would but it was Rory's ambition that got her the education she ended with. And her grandparents made her dream of attending Yale a reality. Poor Lorelai, I do feel for her having to deal with her parents for a hours once a week. That is a real sacrifice.

Yes, she had always been studious and this should not be discounted, in fact, it was one of the things that drew many people to the character.  However, there were other ways for Rory to get a good education that do not include going to a elite private school.  There were many colleges with fantastic journalism programs that are not in the ivy league.  I am not saying Rory was wrong to have those dreams, but she was never a go getter like Paris.  She was a very sweet lovable girl, who besides a streak of rebellion here and there, did not really challenge anyone.

Also, I am not labeling her a failure, she is the person who is doing that to herself (she thinks people can smell it on her).  Her world is the reality of what journalism looks like today.  Also, she always wanted to be a hard hitting investigative journalist, not someone who writes fluff pieces for lifestyle websites.  She is simply not made for the lifestyle and I do not know why no one but Logan's father ever challenged that.

Well Mitchum was just the one to say "You don't got it. You can't be a journalist. That career should be blocked to you at the ripe old age of 19." Logan, Jess, Lorelai, Paris, even Doyle all had moments where they thought Rory was too retiring and reserved for the life she chose and tried pushing her to be more of a go-getter. They all just reasonably thought Rory was still young and growing.

Weirdly, I don't think Rory really lacked for assertiveness or an interest in challenging others in the Revival. Strangely, she mainly seemed to miss her usual strengths- organization, politeness, an ability to ingratiate herself with others. Although I'd argue that she was so committed to being this adventurous brash reporter following in the footsteps of Naomi Shropshire that she lost sight of who she really was. 

27 minutes ago, qtpye said:
28 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Yes, she had always been studious and this should not be discounted, in fact, it was one of the things that drew many people to the character.  However, there were other ways for Rory to get a good education that do not include going to a elite private school.  There were many colleges with fantastic journalism programs that are not in the ivy league.  I am not saying Rory was wrong to have those dreams, but she was never a go getter like Paris.  She was a very sweet lovable girl, who besides a streak of rebellion here and there, did not really challenge anyone.

Also, I am not labeling her a failure, she is the person who is doing that to herself (she thinks people can smell it on her).  Her world is the reality of what journalism looks like today.  Also, she always wanted to be a hard hitting investigative journalist, not someone who writes fluff pieces for lifestyle websites.  She is simply not made for the lifestyle and I do not know why no one but Logan's father ever challenged that.

But shouldn't she be credited for being a "go getter" for precisely that? That she could've gone to any non Ivy League and gotten a good education? Why is not not ambitious and something she personally fought for? Her grandparents paid the tuition but her admission was based on her academic achievement. That is an accomplishment and ambitious.

I didn't mean you personally labeling her a failure, I am sorry it came across that way. That appear to be the general census post revival. 

I agree that Rory is her own hardest critic. Not exactly the trait of a self absorbed person she's accused of. 

Melancholy She was plenty nice to Alex Kingston's character. My god, what a witch lol. I did miss Rory being good at something in the revival although her taking over the Gazette can be seen as her being good at something. 

I finally finished this a couple days ago. I left work early feeling sick and went home, laid down on the couch, and watched the last 3 episodes straight. There was some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn't like. First off, it was so nice seeing the show again. All the quirkiness and magic took me back to the time in my life when I first got hooked on the show. It's silly, absurd, etc, but I love it. I mean a secret pop up bar that folds up and shuts down as a suspicious Taylor strolls by then pops back out when it's clear. Perfect.

What I didn't love. The town musical that went on for days. I don't know if they had some extra time that needed filling or what but man. I was ready for it to end. Plus all the advisory meeting stuff.

The Life and Death Brigade stuff was weird at first because It's been so long since I watched the show that it wasn't fresh in my memory. I had to look it up and remind myself who those guys were. Then it was kind of fun and weird and whatever. I also love the whole bed and breakfast, New England in autumn, wealthy, scotch drinking stuff because it's a world I don't know and am intrigued by.

I wish Rory and Logan weren't a thing. I never was a big fan of his. I'm a Jess girl. I think they had more chemistry.

I still love Paris and Doyle.

4 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

But shouldn't she be credited for being a "go getter" for precisely that? That she could've gone to any non Ivy League and gotten a good education? Why is not not ambitious and something she personally fought for? Her grandparents paid the tuition but her admission was based on her academic achievement. That is an accomplishment and ambitious.

Yes, she definitely should get credit for her academic achievements.  I think what many of the hard core fans are reacting to was that giving Rory credit was overdone on the original show.  We all loved studious Rory, but it made no sense that she was the valedictorian, over Paris.  Rory was rarely called out for anything, where Lorelai sometimes would get her lumps.  Does anyone remember when Lorelai first met Lane's mom?  Mrs. Kim said directly to her face that she does not want Lane to turn out like Lorelai (ouch).  I remember Lorelai replied that she does not want Rory to turn out like her (Lorelai), either.

Rory worked hard and achieved her academic goals and this is something no one can take from her.  I do not think that she is self absorbed as much as incredibly sheltered.  I am not unhappy with her career trajectory, but she is.  As others have pointed out instead of buckling down and trying harder, she is unprepared for interviews and looks down at anything that she does not perceive as Tiffany level journalism.

Ironically, the closest comparison I have is an article I read about Chelsea Clinton.  Chelsea is Rory's age and what she has achieved is impressive by most people's standards.  However, it pales in comparison to her parents who were governors of state and partners at prestigious law firms at around the same age.  It is unfair, but she will always be know as their daughter.

I hope Rory can escape the show runner's determination that she is just an extension of her mother.  I was thought this was an unfair assessment.

2 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

A 32-year-old Rory getting pregnant is entirely on her, IMO. At that point, it's her life.

On her how?

In that it's not her mother's "failure" at that point. It refers only to that discussion.

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Well, no one is like Paris. But I disagree Rory hasn't shown to be driven, ambitious and disciplined in her own right, In the revival, I also saw someone who wasn't as thin skinned as the Rory for the OS. 

There was a post of a working journalist on these boards that talked a bit about her own career (she's an newspaper editor now, I think, and very satistied) and how, essentially, Rory should only blame herself for not "making it" on that field. And I feel there's a lot of truth to that.

I believe Rory could have achieved whatever set out to be if it wasn't her arrogance and pride. Someone else said it and I agree, that Rory's first (and possibly major) mistake was not accepting the spot in the Providence newspaper (?) back in S7. I'm a little older  than she was back then so I have a hindsight the she lacked, but working steadily somewhere where you have room to learn how to apply your skills to the real world, acummulating that experience and gaining confidence in yourself to start taking risks is essential to growing into the person you really want to be instead of the person you think you want to be (college).

I'm not sure Rory ever allowed herself that step.

I relate so hard to the desire of travelling and having adventures but IMHO, Rory kinda put the cows before cart.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

Honestly, I'm a little confused by Rory's whole career trajectory. She seems to see herself as above anything less then the most prestigious, hard-hitting articles, yet what has she really done in the last ten or so years that has been so above and beyond in journalism? This is a girl who wanted to be a foreign correspondent, yet we didn't hear about her braving it in the Middle East or in some other hot area, nor did we hear about all her political pieces.  Frankly, it sounds like she has been doing the more prestigious "fluff" pieces. So I'm not getting her arrogance or why she expects to get the best articles or jobs.

In that it's not her mother's "failure" at that point. It refers only to that discussion.

I completely feel like Emily would still blame Lorelai, even though Rory was 32.  I also think Lorelai may even blame herself a little, if only because I think she would view any scenario where Rory was unmarried and pregnant to be a personal failure on Lorelai's part.     

I think for me it's a negative of Logan being engaged to another woman and that this affair was happening. Not that Rory and Logan will parent as separated parents, plently of people do that amazing and sometimes some better off that way. But the affair of it just makes me a little mad. I'm pretty 98% sure the baby is Logan's. She barley spent any time with her actual boyfriend Paul and I doubt the show would make her be having her one night stands baby. And also the full circle but not really moment of Logan/Rory Christopher/Lorelei.

Oh...ok, so I've had this fleeting thought but keep forgetting to mention it. You know the really big thing that disappointed me about this revival? Did we ever see the characters drink coffee? We saw them drink a whole bunch of alcohol, but I don't recall many scenes of them drinking coffee, if any. I think I recall one or two scenes with coffee, but I can't recall very many. 

COME ON, ASP! That's one of the staples of the entire show! HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP? 

Oh...ok, so I've had this fleeting thought but keep forgetting to mention it. You know the really big thing that disappointed me about this revival? Did we ever see the characters drink coffee? We saw them drink a whole bunch of alcohol, but I don't recall many scenes of them drinking coffee, if any. I think I recall one or two scenes with coffee, but I can't recall very many. 

The girls were holding cups of coffee in the first scene, I believe. There was also the scene when they were both up in the middle of the night and decided to drink coffee and didn't Lorelai say at some point that she used to be coffee in a past life? Was that from the revival?

I get what you're saying. I can see ASP going "Mentioned coffee. Check. What's the next callback?". But I suppose it's easier to spread out jokes about coffee over 22 (?) episodes and it not getting tiring than over 4.

We also got some pop-tarts mentions but viewers who didn't watch the OS probably didn't realize it was a thing.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
4 minutes ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

The girls were holding cups of coffee in the first scene, I believe. There was also the scene when they were both up in the middle of the night and decided to drink coffee and didn't Lorelai say at some point that she used to be coffee in a past life? Was that from the revival?

I get what you're saying. I can see ASP going "Mentioned coffee. Check. What's the next callback?". But I suppose it's easier to spread out jokes about coffee over 22 (?) episodes and it not getting tiring than over 4.

We also got some pop-tarts mentions but viewers who didn't watch the OS probably didn't realize it was a thing.

I know she also freaked out at the Inn when the coffee pot was moved and she was getting coffee when she had her epiphany at the beginning of Fall, but I guess it's just more noticeable when they aren't as many coffee moments as I thought there would be. We don't even see Lorelai sit in Luke's for coffee except for one or two scenes. Literally in the six hours of the revival, there was maybe ten minutes with coffee mentions or coffee being drunk. It's just...odd. Did Lorelai and Rory get over their coffee addiction or something? 

I mean, it's not like it's hard to have Lorelai holding a coffee cup or a mug in her hands every few scenes. It just sucks because in the original series, the first thing associated with Lorelai and Rory is coffee. They went to Luke's for the coffee more than the actual food. They mentioned coffee constantly. It's just another thing to add to the more disappointing moments of the revival for me. 

Christopher gave Rory coffee when she saw him. She didn't drink it. That was my first clue that she was maybe pregnant.in surprised they didn't have her throw it ou all dramatic when leaving.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
On 12/7/2016 at 0:43 PM, qtpye said:

Ironically, the closest comparison I have is an article I read about Chelsea Clinton.  Chelsea is Rory's age and what she has achieved is impressive by most people's standards...  It is unfair, but she will always be know as their daughter.

Sorry, but that's a dreadful comparison.  While she might indeed be a talented hard worker, every job Chelsea has had, has been handed to her because she's the daughter of an ex-president (I'd say the same of any of their offspring).

The only time Rory used the Gilmore name, IIRC, was to meet with the Yale admissions director (not even her idea!), and as a foray into the DAR.

On November 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Eyes High said:

I thought Mitchum knew damn well what was up with Logan and Rory, as a practiced adulterer himself, and was subtly needling Rory and Logan to watch them squirm, thus the "casual" reference to Odette that was anything but casual. He was reminding Logan that he's engaged, and Rory that she ain't shit and never will be. The wolfish bonhomie shtick was him reveling in their discomfort, and the show of "concern" over Rory was his magnanimity in victory over Rory, since Logan had relegated her to a side piece and had accepted what Mitchum had claimed about Rory (that she was an unsuitable bride). Why shouldn't Mitchum be gracious to Rory? He won.

That's how I read it, too. There are a lot of things that annoy me about Rory, chiefly her unshakeable entitlement, but I always found Bitchum Hunzberger vile. 

Overall, I enjoyed most of the revival. I thought Lorelai's telephone call to Emily from California was the strongest scene in the series (season? I seriously doubt there will be any more seasons) both in its writing and in the way Graham and Bishop played it. I also agree with the observations upthread that Emily spent most of the episodes being truly vicious to Lorelai. There's grieving, and then there's just downright ugly mean. I was fascinated to see Emily slowly make a new life for herself -- and while I wouldn't have been sad to see Emily toss Jack Smith into the surf, she couldn't have seemed more done with him unless she'd asked Berta how to say "Here's your hat, what's your hurry?" in her Berta-meta-Castellanglish (maybe -Catalanglish? -Galicianglish?).

Edited by Sandman
On 11/27/2016 at 6:18 AM, ChlcGirl said:

And yeah. Patterson's toupe was dreadful.  Better to just let yourself be seen bald than to put that thing on your head.  It isn't like we all don't know your age.

I had no idea he was wearing a toupee.  Really.  

26 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

I had no idea he was wearing a toupee.  Really.  

He wears the baseball caps to cover up his bald pate.

And then there are those of us who accept the cards life has dealt us and just shave our heads...

I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to add that I love Paris so much.  Liza strolled back into that role with such ease.  Why has no one given her a lead on another show?  She's so funny and sharp and edgy.  And doesn't need to be liked.  I love her.

I think there's a disconnect with Alexis' appearance and how Rory actually behaves.  She had the same problem on Mad Men too.  She's just looks so young and sweet.  I cannot believe she's 36 and has had a baby.  Those are powerful genes.

It's not for lack of trying on the part of the actress.  I think she radiates intelligence and alertness.  She listens really well (which makes her a natural at playing a journalist).  But she always seems like a charming teenager playing at being an adult.  When she has a freakout it looks likes a little girl having a tantrum, not an adult having a freakout (which we do, sometimes).

So it's hard to imagine her having a booty-call relationship with her ex whom she apparently loved (I never watched the later seasons) when he's engaged.  It doesn't seem sensible and she generally seems sensible. Of course I've only watched the first two seasons of Gilmore Girls, maybe part of season 3.  I hated what they did to the Dean character a lot.  He started off so smart and sweet and they dumbed him down when Jess arrived.

24 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

Honestly?  In the fertility clinic scene??

Really.  Didn't even cross my mind.  I was happy not to see the mullet.  He had a mullet on the show, didn't he?

I never know when women have extensions either unless they're overtly false (as in pink or truly bizarrely long).

Why has no one given her a lead on another show?  She's so funny and sharp and edgy.  And doesn't need to be liked.  I love her.

She's been on How to Get Away with Murder on ABC for three seasons.  It's not the lead, but she's a major character. 

I think there's a disconnect with Alexis' appearance and how Rory actually behaves.  She had the same problem on Mad Men too.  She's just looks so young and sweet.  

Honestly, I thought the problem on Mad Men was that she's not a great actress.  She isn't terrible by any means, but she was not all that wonderful with the material she was given.

2 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to add that I love Paris so much.  Liza strolled back into that role with such ease.  Why has no one given her a lead on another show?  She's so funny and sharp and edgy.  And doesn't need to be liked.  I love her.

I think there's a disconnect with Alexis' appearance and how Rory actually behaves.  She had the same problem on Mad Men too.  She's just looks so young and sweet.  I cannot believe she's 36 and has had a baby.  Those are powerful genes.

It's not for lack of trying on the part of the actress.  I think she radiates intelligence and alertness.  She listens really well (which makes her a natural at playing a journalist).  But she always seems like a charming teenager playing at being an adult.  When she has a freakout it looks likes a little girl having a tantrum, not an adult having a freakout (which we do, sometimes).

So it's hard to imagine her having a booty-call relationship with her ex whom she apparently loved (I never watched the later seasons) when he's engaged.  It doesn't seem sensible and she generally seems sensible. Of course I've only watched the first two seasons of Gilmore Girls, maybe part of season 3.  I hated what they did to the Dean character a lot.  He started off so smart and sweet and they dumbed him down when Jess arrived.

Really.  Didn't even cross my mind.  I was happy not to see the mullet.  He had a mullet on the show, didn't he?

I never know when women have extensions either unless they're overtly false (as in pink or truly bizarrely long).

I like watching Paris but she is exhausting.  I don't know how Rory, Dole and to an extent Logan dealt with her all those years. Kudos to the actress

I hope you decide to watch the seasons you missed. I've been rewatching so I'll be in the older threads. Some of us are

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
26 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Honestly, I thought the problem on Mad Men was that she's not a great actress. 

That could be true too.  She may only have one role in her.  And that can work for television actors.  The guy on Bones (David something) was on Buffy, Angel, and Bones.  He's played a version of the same character more or less for twenty years and people seem to like it.  Lauren Graham too (she's kind of Lorelei on Parenthood, just less "cute").  

But I do think her youthfulness actually hurts her now (Alexis').  If they had thrown her in a Chilton uniform she would have blended easily with the other student actors.  I can't imagine her playing a teacher.  She has no authority.  Now Paris!  HA!  She'd keep me awake in class.

31 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

She's been on How to Get Away with Murder on ABC for three seasons.  It's not the lead, but she's a major character. 

I've avoided that show.  I avoid all Shonda shows (I like her as a person, but hate her shows).  But if you tell me Liza is going around and killing people and getting away with it, I might watch.

1 hour ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I like watching Paris but she is exhausting

I agree; in the context of the show, her relentlessness can be fun in small doses. In real life, someone like Paris Geller would be dangerously insane. Weill is a compelling performer, but, honestly, Paris scared the shit out of me in this revival. One more moment in the bathroom at Chilton and I thought Rory was going to be killed and eaten.

(If it were network teevee, I'd probably say "scared the crap out of me," but if Emily can say "bullshit," hey ...)

3 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

Oh yes.  Toupe.  Seems like he's REALLY sensitive about hair issues. I've never gotten it. Do men really think women care about their hair?? I don't know about others but baldness is soooooooooo far down on my list of shit I care about in a partner.

Indeed he did have a modified mullet on the show.  Now THAT is more worrisome than baldness!

Edited by ChlcGirl
4 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

Yeah, imo Alexis was pretty good in the revival, better than in the later seasons of the original. I think her strong suit really is playing flawed, "lost" Rory even more than sweet, studious Rory.  There's all this intelligence there and she (Rory, that is) doesn't have the slightest idea how to translate that into a real person rather than good student Rory or journalist Rory, daughter of Lorelai.  That's what Alexis does well, in my opinion.

I bought her as the fragile depressed housewife on Mad Men, but I think she just doesn't do sensuality well at all - which might be a reason she plays "young."  So her affair with Logan makes character sense but it's just as well there weren't any sexual scenes, lol.