Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Season 1

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, stillshimpy said:

TRory turned down Logan's proposal, she didn't want to marry him then, why would she now?  

She didn't want to get married to him at 22, but she did want to continue the relationship at that time, and she discussed with Paris considering Logan in her future plans.  She may have felt too young to marry at 22, but she may well have said yes to a proposal from Logan at 26, or 30, etc. 

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we even 100% sure that Rory was Logan's only side-piece? In Winter it was implied that Rory was well aware that other people were warming Logan's bed in her absences. We don't know how long Rory had been seeing Logan or how long Logan had been serious with Odette. I tend to think it was possible in the years leading up to the revival Logan was sleeping with others before and after Rory and Odette came into his life. He might've shaved it down to just the two women once he got closer to both and decided he wanted to settle down with Odette.

She may have felt too young to marry at 22, but she may well have said yes to a proposal from Logan at 26, or 30, etc. 

But does he want to marry Rory? Hell, who's to say Rory really, truly wants to marry him? The feeling I got out of the whole revival was that they are each others bad habit. They may make each other feel good briefly, but its not enough for either of them at the end of the day. And I used to really like them as a couple, but now I just see to overgrown childish adult screw-ups.

@eyeshigh - I love your rant. I feel exactly the same way about Logan. When S7 ended Logan was headed out in his own, determined to break free from his father. But now we see him very comfortably settled back in the family business putting $300 bottles of wine on the family tab. 

The moment I think that clearly showed how Logan saw Rory was the final "picture" he took at the inn. She was wearing  top hat like she was his entertainment, his diversion. 

10 hours ago, Leonana said:

I wish I hadn't watched. The characters ended up in a good place at the end of Season 7. ASP threw all that out the window, and ten years later they were still stuck in the end of Season 6, maturity wise. I felt like the revival was Season 6 style, and I was hoping for Season 1, which was pretty unrealistic of me.

I might have to backtrack from my post above. I have to admit, after reading a few posts giving some valid reasons why the characters might have made the choices they did, I'm not as disappointed. I'm going to watch it again, and maybe it will be more enjoyable the second time around, with lower expectations. I thought I didn't have expectations, but I did have some, mainly that Season 7 would be part of the canon.

One thing that is special about the show to me is that I get to share it with my teenage daughter. I was pregnant with her when I watched the pilot, and then fifteen years later we watched the series together on Netflix. We also watched the Revival together, and she enjoyed it, although she didn't care as much for Spring and Summer. Having something you can share with your teenager is priceless, so I'll always appreciate the Palladinos for that.

Edited by Leonana

I savored the revival, warts and all, but was so disappointed at the non-ending.   I wanted answers for Rory, not a cliffhanger.  I'm TeamLogan, always have been, and could feel the angst that the two of their characters (and the actors' incredible chemistry) felt.  Rory burned Logan badly back when he proposed and I think he still loves her dearly but is gunshy.  Odette is "appropriate" but Rory is the one for him.

Never, ever was TeamJess -- he had no friends and the only person he was ever nice to was Rory.  Not a good quality in a human, nevertheless a life-partner.  So what that he read books?  It's because he didn't have to talk to anyone by reading a book -- books don't require human interaction.  

I've decided that the Palladinos are full of contempt in their minds and hearts.  Their writing is quirky and full of amusing pop culture references (but ugh, Ben Affleck, why??) but at the heart and soul, their perspectives are full of bitterness and both snobbery and reverse snobbery.

I agree that the Sookie scene was too brief and "off" -- Melissa did not capture Sookie again.  So sad because she and Lorelai were a unique, incredible duo.  I think no one in the revival (of the regular characters) had less screen time than Jackson.  Wow.  

Sutton Foster is talented but annoys me so I felt the musical was absolutely a giant waste of time and certainly the bucks it took to pay her.  So unnecessary.  

Nantucket is my happy place so seeing one of the iconic lighthouses and then realizing that Emily was on Nantucket (eventually moving there) was very, very special to me and such a surprise.  The Whaling Museum is so fine and hearing her docent talk (though way too gory!) was a little joy for me.  

Got a huge kick out of Rose Abdoo/Berta finally becoming a successful maid relationship for Emily and it is obvious that it's because neither of them totally understand what the other is saying.  That relationship may have been out of character with the old Emily but I still enjoyed it.

The cameos were a blast for me -- Rachael Ray in the kitchen and not quite cutting it for Lorelai, Peter Krause and Jason Ritter, Mae Whitman, Ina Garten references (my girl).

The most emotional moments for me (and there were surprisingly very few, considering that I have probably seen every episode about 8 times -- no other TV show is a close second for me) were seeing Richard at his desk writing (and Rory saying she knew exactly where she should write) and Lorelai's call to her mom with a Richard story.  I'm sorry but that inability to come up with some story after his funeral and the embarrassing story she chose to tell was beyond, beyond inexcusable for Lorelai.  Horrible moment for Lorelai.

Loved seeing the LDB and Rory's reaction to them.  I don't care that they're in their early-30s.  They are tight, lifelong friends and they'll keep these traditions forever.   They don't do these skits/shenanigans every week -- this was a special reunion to cheer up Rory and feel young and untethered again.

So happy that Dean is doing very well.  That was a sweet moment between them and Rory got to tell him the things he deserved to hear -- he was a wonderful first love.

Of course, I'd welcome and rush to watch another installment, but I just wish there didn't need to be one -- wish this one had tied up all of the stories.  I'm sure the Palladinos thought they had several more seasons to go -- I cannot imagine their dream final 4 words were a 22-year-old, recent Yale grad telling her mother she's pregnant.  

Edited by MerBearHou

Hmmm, I never understood people who say watching a continuation or remake of something they loved tarnished it for them.  

It's only tarnished if you let it be. I enjoyed the revival for the most part but the things I didn't like could never change how I used to feel about the show or the characters. Ymmv.

I also think a lot of the storyline we got had to do with actor availability. A lot of the main cast are busy elsewhere and I think ASP tried to do the best with what she had. 

I do hate the assumption that we know that Rory isn't going to tell Logan about the baby. She really has no reason not to. I think she will probably wait til the baby is born though. She has so much support around her, she'll be fine. She has no choice but to be. I think her talk with Christopher was to get closure for herself and maybe to really think about what it would mean to raise a child with an absentee father. 

I seriously doubt that Logan will break up with Odette because Rory is pregnant. He will more than likely quietly set up a trust fund for the baby and visit occasionally but I think his life course is pretty much set. 

3 hours ago, Randomosity said:

Completely random thought/observation - Rory/Alexis Bledel looked exceedingly freckle-y at times. I don't recall that being the case in her younger days. Anyone else notice? Is her skin not aging well? HD TV just showing me what I never saw before? True freckles unearthed by a lighter hand by the makeup crew?

I've heard that she was really freckly during the original series, she was just well covered with makeup. 

Which is a shame, because imagine an adorable 16 year old Rory covered in freckles. 

I hope Rory tells Logan about the baby. He at least deserves to know and he has a right to be a part of the child's life. The child also should know who his or her father is. 

As for Emily not being at the elopement, I didn't mind at all. It seems Emily has finally let go of things and is living life as herself rather than "Mrs. Richard Gilmore." I admit, I miss Emily yelling at people for not putting the cheese slices in separate bags or not having the tapers six inches apart. But a mellower Emily is nice too.

7 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

The cameos were a blast for me -- Rachael Ray in the kitchen and not quite cutting it for Lorelai, Peter Krause and Jason Ritter, Mae Whitman, Ina Garten references (my girl).

I agree. I loved all the cameos, particularly ones like Mae Whitman (Lauren's other TV daughter!) and Peter Krause.

17 minutes ago, blugirlami21 said:

I do hate the assumption that we know that Rory isn't going to tell Logan about the baby. She really has no reason not to. I think she will probably wait til the baby is born though. She has so much support around her, she'll be fine. She has no choice but to be. I think her talk with Christopher was to get closure for herself and maybe to really think about what it would mean to raise a child with an absentee father. 

Agreed. Personally I have no doubt she'll tell him. How much she'll invite his participation is a question, sure, but I just don't see her flatly refusing access or hiding it (if she even could given social contacts in common, assuming it's Logan's). Raising the kid "by herself" doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know or care -- unless one of them is willing to move continents, even if he wants to be involved it would be long distance and Rory would be mostly raising that child alone. And if he doesn't want to be very involved, even more so. That easily covers what she was talking through with Christopher. (Joint custody would be a whole other thing, but that seems really unlikely on either side.)

The surrogacy plot made me crazy. I don't think it's something these characters would be a part of. Lorelai would go on about borrowing someone's womb and Paris would just be like, 'lady, your inability to procreate is God telling you not to parent!'

It made me a little crazy because I felt like neither Luke nor Lorelai were actually really thinking about what it meant to have a new baby in their home, or what it would mean to be in their 60s with a high school student at home.  Also, it just felt weird to me to think that Lorelai would have two kids who were 32-33 years apart in age. 

I did feel like Lane drew the short straw on the revival.  It struck me that Michel got oodles of character development, but I don't think Lane even got a scene where she just discussed herself and how she felt about her life. 

Edited by txhorns79
5 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

I am exactly 11:04 into the final episode, and when it hit me. 

The episode titles. Winter. Spring. Summer. Fall. They're from the show's opening theme song. "Winter, spring, summer, or fall/All you have to do is call"

just got that. 

That's You've Got a Friend. The theme song is Where You Lead. Both written by Carole King, though!

I just thought of something. We have known now that ASP knew the final four words for ahe. What if they originally were intended to be said by Lorelai and not Rory? We were never told who would say them, just what they were? And ASP changed it to Rory to fit the new story line. 

1 hour ago, Deevee45 said:

I just thought of something. We have known now that ASP knew the final four words for ahe. What if they originally were intended to be said by Lorelai and not Rory? We were never told who would say them, just what they were? And ASP changed it to Rory to fit the new story line. 

Maybe but , for me, the whole revival felt like a continuing of season 5 and 6 more so than what would these characters be like 10 years later. I mean there was this feeling that the characters are stuck in time a bit. Rory full circle with her own Christopher and baby. 

Edited by tarotx
9 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Something else that made no sense to me was Lorelai's specific reaction to the book. You worked hard to keep the details of your life a secret? You mean when you weren't busy talking about yourself to anyone who would listen?

Ahahaha great point! Even the weekend guests at the Inn probably know every last detail of her personal life!

9 hours ago, Leonana said:

I thought I didn't have expectations, but I did have some, mainly that Season 7 would be part of the canon.

I didn't know until I started reading the threads that she was ignoring S7, so I was in the same boat there.

8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I've decided that the Palladinos are full of contempt in their minds and hearts.  Their writing is quirky and full of amusing pop culture references (but ugh, Ben Affleck, why??) but at the heart and soul, their perspectives are full of bitterness and both snobbery and reverse snobbery.

I've thought that for a long time now too. There are plenty of scenes in the original GG that would be pretty sneery and vicious if it weren't for Lauren Graham's delivery, like almost every line in Lorelai's First Cotillion where she insults little girls right to their face. And the real life example that ASP is petty and selfish - she will always choose herself over her fans.

1 hour ago, Deevee45 said:

I had the same thought, because I could not imagine that she'd want to end the show on the note of Rory graduating from college and getting pregnant. Also there was that Hazy Days of Summer dream with the twins which I assumed was her actual endgame for Luke and Lorelai. During Bunheads I read a lot of her interviews online and she contradicted herself pretty often, so I have no problem believing she lied about who would be saying the last four words. (Which, like the ending of Lost, turned out to be nowhere near as fascinating as their PR.)

and the costume designer commented to the effect that although Logan was trapped in the original series, Logan is his own man now. If he's engaged to Odette, it's because he chooses to be and for no other reason.

Reading Logan as a poor little rich boy trapped by cruel circumstance into a hideously loveless business arrangement is completely at odds with how Logan is written in the revival, as someone who has moved into his power and is making his own choices. If Logan is engaged to Odette, it's because he wants to be. Matt Czuchry basically admitted in his ET revival premiere interview that he sees Logan differently from ASP and DP, and that may have coloured his acting choices, but the writing is pretty stark when it comes to Logan's comfort with his engagement and with treating Rory as a side piece.

I'm not going to refute everything bit by bit here, because I think this is the crux of the matter:  I wasn't suggesting that he was being forced to marry Odette.  

I was suggesting that Rory was his real preference, he just knew he couldn't have her.  Why?  Absolutely no clue, it's just the actor was playing the character as torn about something.  

Edited by stillshimpy
On 11/27/2016 at 8:08 AM, LeafontheWind said:

Those things happened in season 7, so we are supposed to forget all about them. Insert eye roll emoji here...

Ah yes. That explains it. Casey's was in season 7. That's one thing my friend and I commented on while watching. Why they didn't just go to Casey's

ASP was including some things from season 7, at least when it came to Christopher and Lorelai.  Christopher still looking like the golden boy was actually oddly touching.   He had a melancholy Peter Pan thing going on.  I've never been a Chris fan but what a great scene.  Nice self-awareness in the "do I enter in a cloud of sulfur?" type of remark.  

The worst part about the revival, for me, was Rory's unnecessarily chaotic romantic life.  It would have been better for her to bump into an engaged Logan -- who she hadn't seen in years -- done the deed and then been up the spout.  It's nice for Matt Czuchry that he had a relatively large role but as inclined as I am to flesh out some of the back story, damn if the story wasn't leaving it up to just about everybody to do that for themselves.  It was the bulk of Rory's story and it was sort of a superimpose-your-own-emotional-moorings to it thing.  

I enjoyed the revival so much and I'm really grateful we had it.  There was a good ten minute period in the beginning where adjusting to everyone's appearance -- which isn't a bad thing, by the way -- took up the bulk of my time.   

Now, when I stop and examine the story, I have to admit: It was a little thin in all areas.  Romantic chaos on Rory's end, faux tension on Lorelai's and that pretty much dispenses with the romance stories.  

Professionally Lorelai's "Spa?  Can't put on in! More rooms?  Where would they go?  Here, let us buy a nunnery!" stuff was fine, interesting enough and I enjoyed it all but as with much of the revival, there was a strange feeling of deja vu to most of the actual stories.   

I did enjoy that the story was about Lorelai, Rory, and Emily as the primary focus, with things like Rory's stable of guys just sort of drifting by with foggy motivations, if any.   I personally found Paul, the forgotten boyfriend, to be a cute enough bit in the first episode that sort of needed to end there.  

I really liked so much of it but it's not like you'd strain yourself lifting the plot or anything. 

ETA:  A writer over on the AV Club made some good points about ASP choosing to self-mythologize her exit from the series -- she's far from the first show-runner to leave before a series was over but she is apparently the only one that pulled anything like this "you'll never know the real ending, it's locked in my head!" stuff -- and his point basically seemed to be a) odd to do that b) you'd have thought it would have been something other than the thing absolutely everyone guessed in some form (either for Rory or Lorelai).  

I was just thinking about that because it created something that I'm fairly certain there was no real way to win at:  an expectation that it was going to be more satisfying than what the other guy gave us.   

I loved the ending of season 7.  It did feel like an actual ending though.  I have to admit, ending the revival on what seemed a naked bid for more left me sort of neither here, nor there.   There's almost no freaking way to say this without it sounding unkind, but that isn't my intent, it's just truly what I wondered as the revival ended on what felt like a beginning, not an ending: Jeez, lady, don't you have any other stories you want to tell? 

Edited by Lisin
Fixed floating quote box for you :)

Her affair with Logan? I hated that, but it also felt like a "i can't quit you"-situation where she continues to be with him, even though she knows that it's not the right choice and I think it also made sense. With relationships, you don't always choose the healthiest.

A poster on the Reddit GG observed a similarity between Rory and Logan's affair and Christopher and Lorelai's relationship. Lorelai would run to Christopher whenever she needed comfort or when her own life was a mess, as a way of avoiding dealing with her issues. It's no surprise to me, therefore, that Rory's affair with Logan appears to coincide with a very low point in her career. Rory in Spring complains that she feels like the "ground's made out of straw," so of course she will run to someone like Logan, where she's with someone familiar who temporarily gives her relief from the cruel, harsh world. It's only in Summer that Rory seems to realize that she's running to Logan to avoid dealing with her emotional issues. And when Rory finds a purpose again, she is finally able to turn down Logan's offer of a sex house and put an end to her relationship with him.

I was suggesting that Rory was his real preference, he just knew he couldn't have her.  Why?  Absolutely no clue, it's just the actor was playing the character as torn about something.  

Logan never once treated Rory as his real preference. In fact, that was why Rory was so upset in Summer when Odette moved in; it was yet another reminder that she was nothing and that Odette would always be his true choice. Odette is his real preference, for whatever reason; he just has the grace to feel slightly bad about it when that's pointed out in middle of a romantic escapade to woo another woman, as when Rory asked him if he really intended to marry her.

Logan: Baby, never doubt how I feel about you. You're the only one for me. Here's the key so a secret sex family house so that we can fuck you can write your book in peace.

Rory: But you're going to marry Odette.

Logan: ....Yes.

11 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Are we even 100% sure that Rory was Logan's only side-piece? In Winter it was implied that Rory was well aware that other people were warming Logan's bed in her absences. We don't know how long Rory had been seeing Logan or how long Logan had been serious with Odette. I tend to think it was possible in the years leading up to the revival Logan was sleeping with others before and after Rory and Odette came into his life. He might've shaved it down to just the two women once he got closer to both and decided he wanted to settle down with Odette.

But does he want to marry Rory? Hell, who's to say Rory really, truly wants to marry him? The feeling I got out of the whole revival was that they are each others bad habit. They may make each other feel good briefly, but its not enough for either of them at the end of the day. And I used to really like them as a couple, but now I just see to overgrown childish adult screw-ups.

No, we're not sure Rory was Logan's only side piece. It seemed implied in Winter at least that there were other girls, since Rory says "other girls' things" and not "her things."

It's no coincidence to me that once Rory finally starts getting her shit together in Fall, she's strong enough to tell Logan no. I doubt the pregnancy would change anything for her. She already knows Logan wouldn't choose her for herself alone. Why would she want him to choose her because of the baby? Who wants to be married out of a sense of duty and obligation? Lorelai certainly didn't want that, and neither would Rory.

Some seem to be assuming that once Logan finds out about the baby, he'll immediately dump Odette and hasten to Rory' side to declare his love and propose marriage. Even assuming he would do that--and I think that's a very flimsy assumption--why would Rory want to be with someone who was only choosing her because she was the mother of his child?

Edited by Eyes High

Overall I think the revival was worthwhile, but it depresses me that the wonderful 16yr old Rory we had in Season 1 ends up a pregnant mistress. Sad.

(IMO it cant be the Wookie's kid because she slept with him in spring).

Does leave things open for more of course. And it wouldn't surprise me if Netflix asked them back given how much anticipation this issue brought and that reviews have been generally positive. I would of course watch but Rory carrying an engaged man's child really is a bummer.

Good things (in no particular order):

- Rory kissing her grandfather's portrait hello

- Lorelai blowing a kiss goodbye to Jess

- Chris' scene - finally an honest conversation between Rory and him about her childhood. Her facial expression when he asked her if she knew he loved her broke my heart.

- The right amount of Kirk & Taylor scenes

- LL wedding

- Rory being so passionate about The Stars Hollow Gazette

- Scene with April, Rory, Lorelai, Luke

- Lorelai's vulnerability towards Rory's book idea was an interesting and intriguing turn of events. Its not something I would have expected. That she is still so fearful over Emily's opinion of her younger self and of her capacity as a mother is huge.

- Laugh out loud moments for me - "To Noam is to love him"; Sookie practially diving into the sink trying to decipher the cooking scents; Lorelai bending over with backpack when JasonRitterRangerGuy told her her laces were open

Bad things (other than the aformentioned pregnancy status)

- Not enough Lorelai/Rory scenes

- Too many silences - mainly re Lorelai and her Wild adventure. Way too much time spent on her packing her backpack in the motel. Especially given that it was a carbon copy of the actual scene from the movie. Boring. Also the buildup to her call to Emily had about 90 seconds of silence before it. 

- Luke's hair

- The LADB. Waaaay too much time. I loathe them

- Stars Hollow Musical scenes - unnecessary. Even though I love Sutton Foster more than life

- Underutilisation of April, Jess, Chris, Sookie (though we knew beforehand that she would be in just one scene)

- Too much Logan

- Ditching the therapist arc in typical Sherman-Palladino style. Of course shes a crazy musical loving loon who Lorelai can no longer respect!!

- Rory being so lacking in self awareness (the affair with an engaged Logan, the Paul thing, falling asleep when interviewing the guy in the line, not being prepared for he Susie meeting)

So. Opinion # 50609848485 here, diehard fan. My daughter and I watched GG when she was in college. She'd call me and we'd sing the theme song together as it came on. We were sad it wasn't on the revival :(

We had our "watch party" on Friday, ate our weight in junk food - complete with poptart appetizers with apple in the middle. After 6 hours we just looked at each other and said "what?"

There were good parts, for sure. But - it didn't feel right. I'm sorry, and I honestly don't mean to be so petty - but Lauren Graham didn't even look like Lorelai to me. Whatever work she's had done changed her mouth, her smile, that was sooo beautiful. It threw me. Alexis Bledel is still (to me!) so stiff. It's hard to explain.

Some things I observed:

- In "Richard in Stars Hollow" Emily visited the "family mausoleum" so Richard wouldn't be in a grave as they showed. But, I agree they handled his passing with grace.

- Paris' research panned out (kind of!) when Rory made Valedictorian over her at Chilton and many of the previous Valedictorian's lives didn't turn out quite so great (yet)

- Was disappointed they didn't show Sookie and Jackson's kids - I always had wondered what they named their third one, very little of Lane and Paris' kids. I know it wasn't all about them, but there had been so much speculation before the Revival - who were the kids following Lorelai and Rory around town? That kind of thing - thinking, hoping they would belong to someone we knew. Instead, they were just random kids.

- I thought the reference to Mr. Kim was so long overdue as to be pointless now; a bone thrown to everyone who asked about him in the past.

- Rory's dad is filthy rich, her grandfather just passed and it would be highly unlikely he didn't provide for her in his will. The being broke thing didn't play. It's not like she showed her mom's disdain for their wealth, it was just never addressed.

- Lorelai saying G-D, and Emily saying bullshit MULTIPLE times in one scene was gratuitous. They were on Netflix, so they could.

All in all, I was disappointed and thought it could've been so much better. They can write better than this. That stupid musical. Wasted time when other things/people we knew, loved and missed could've had more of an arc.

Disappointed.

He never once treated Rory as his real preference. In fact, that was why Rory was so upset in Summer when Odette moved in; it was yet another reminder that she was nothing and that Odette was his true choice.

You're welcome to your opinion.  I disagree with that as an assertion.  We actually don't know why any of that was going on, so we're all guessing.  That's your guess.  Have fun with it.  Mine is entirely different and it is just as valid as yours as we weren't told a bloody thing.  

3 minutes ago, Gooey said:

Overall I think the revival was worthwhile, but it depresses me that the wonderful 16yr old Rory we had in Season 1 ends up a pregnant mistress. Sad.

Okay, so that was the part that I just....I kind of don't get as a motivation for ASP.  Who, by the way, gave an interview sort of bawling people out for being too interested in Rory's romantic life....which now seems even more ironic than it did at the time she gave it.   

I'm all for sexual empowerment but it didn't have an empowering feeling.  Rory kept referring to their Vegas arrangement and we have no clue how that all started...and it would have been nice to know because it's kind of a sad thing for someone to do to themselves on purpose, you know?  At first I thought it was kind of fun that Rory wasn't tied down....but she had a boyfriend.  We don't know if it was meant to be exclusive and everything else was a form of cheating, or if it was all fair game.   That's the least of the point though because why would a beautiful young woman do that to herself?  We don't know.  Not the best narrative structure, on top of all else, but also, ASP scolded everyone for caring and then....yeah, other than a Drunken Brit who seemed to be the most obnoxious human on Earth in most of her scenes....that was once again, the bulk of her story.  That and a fruitless search for underwear.   

Ah yes. That explains it. Casey's was in season 7. That's one thing my friend and I commented on while watching. Why they didn't just go to Casey's

LOL.  I think it was because Casey's was a normal, regular bar, and it's so much more quirky if the town has a secret bar that is set up so everyone can instantly hide if Taylor is in the vicinity.  I mean, it isn't Stars Hollow if things aren't overly complicated and quirky. 

I chalk it up to bad writing.  Neither Rory's nor Logan's motivations or relationship was all that well explained. 

3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

chalk it up to bad writing.  Neither Rory's nor Logan's motivations or relationship was all that well explained. 

Honestly, I have to agree with this.  ASP knew she wanted Rory pregnant and I guess she didn't want a wee Wookie running around or something, so she needed a sperm donor, who there was no question was out of the running as a mate.  She just left it to everyone else to fill in why that would be.   

It was honestly pretty strange overall.  

5 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

LOL.  I think it was because Casey's was a normal, regular bar, and it's so much more quirky if the town has a secret bar that is set up so everyone can instantly hide if Taylor is in the vicinity.  I mean, it isn't Stars Hollow if things aren't overly complicated and quirky. 

Didn't Jess and Luke go to a bar for TJ's bachelor party?  I could also swear Kirk was (such a strange sentence I am about to write) playing dance, dance, revolution in something that didn't look much like an arcade.   

I have an entirely separate question:  is Liz Torres ill?  I know she's lost weight and good for her but she barely had a line and I was wondering why. 

2 hours ago, stagmania said:

That's You've Got a Friend. The theme song is Where You Lead. Both written by Carole King, though!

And one of my favorite moments was when Sophie (Carole King, for the one or two readers here who didn't know that/smile) got up to play the song she wrote and everyone shot it down (personal note: the organist at my mother's funeral actually played ALL of "Tapestry," my mom's favorite album of all time, and you haven't been to a great funeral until you hear "I Feel The Earth Move" played at funereal pace on an organ.

13 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I seriously doubt that Logan will break up with Odette because Rory is pregnant. He will more than likely quietly set up a trust fund for the baby and visit occasionally but I think his life course is pretty much set. 

This is completely made up on my part because the show gave us zero info, but I imagine Rory was in London for work and got in touch with Logan to catch up. One thing led to another and they fell in bed and made their no-strings Vegas pact. Friends with benefits but different continents, different lives, etc. They obviously have deep affection for one another but realize that ultimately they're not a good match. Logan has fully bought into his wealthy, dynastic life and wants a "suitable" wife. Rory would be stifled as a country club spouse.

13 hours ago, Minneapple said:

As for Emily not being at the elopement, I didn't mind at all. It seems Emily has finally let go of things and is living life as herself rather than "Mrs. Richard Gilmore."

Even if Emily had still been in Hartford, I'm not sure Lorelai would have invited her to the elopement ceremony. The woman is nearing 50 but STILL harbors a castle-load of resentment, anger and hurt feelings towards her mother.

4 hours ago, Gooey said:

- Rory being so passionate about The Stars Hollow Gazette

For about 10 minutes, anyway, before it started to bore her.

As for ASP and her last four words, phooey I say. She valued her stupid full-circle ending more than she did the growth or happiness of the characters she created and nourished.

Edited by lordonia
1 hour ago, Gooey said:

To be fair, Rory ends her affair with Logan around the same time she's knocked up, so she's never a "pregnant mistress" and she's no longer Logan's mistress by the end of Fall. Your point does stand, though.

Even if I weren't optimistic about Rory turning her life around, which I am, I'm not too fussed about Rory's fate. It was the logical outcome of a life where a sheltered, booksmart girl, who was completely unaccustomed to the realities of the world, continuously told how special and perfect she was by everyone around her and who was always protected from the consequences of her decisions, ran smack dab into the real world. She set her sights on a career path for which she was fundamentally temperamentally unsuited, despite having been warned of this, in a dying, extremely competitive field. She has an established track record of going back to suitors from past relationships when feeling depressed with no regard as to those suitors' current relationships or feelings. Rory fretted in Spring about "karma" catching up with her. It's not so much "karma" as the logical consequences of the choices she has made over and over again, sort of like if you fail to study for a test and then fail it, it's not "karma."

I will say that many complained nonstop about how Rory managed to escape the consequences of her decisions over and over again in the original series, how she always had everything handed to her on a silver platter, and how she was always viewed as a saintly, perfect girl no matter how many times she messed up and no matter how selfish and entitled she could be. If Revival Rory had a stellar, Christiane Amanpour-level career as a foreign correspondent, a perfect marriage with Logan or with someone else, and had everyone and their brother fawning over her telling her how amazing she was, I'm pretty sure everyone would cry foul. Now that Rory's been unveiled as a fuckup and a failure who fucked up and who failed as a direct result of acting the same way she exact same way acted in the original series, hopefully we can put to bed any notion of Rory being treated in the GG world as the specialest snowflake that's ever walked the earth.

Edited by Eyes High
6 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

I was surprised they got Jared Padalecki back for his cameo. I figured he would have been too busy with Supernatural in Vancouver to come back to L.A. for this. 

It was a nice surprise. 

I think most of the original cast appearances worked well to be honest. Digger and Chris surprisingly weren't there to cause drama between Lorelai and Luke. In fact I think its the only time Chris has been in an episode solely to interact with Rory...? 

Jess seemed a natural fit, as did April. 

But the LADB was contrived, as was Logan being in all four episodes. They should have used that time better.

And what exactly was the purpose of Logan's Dad? I presumed it was to out the affair at a later stage but that never happened.

Some of the PH and celebrity chef appearances were a bit jarring too...I think Peter Krause's scene worked really well but Jason Ritter seemed out of place. And Mae Whitman was wasted in her 15 second appearance. She is a fabulous actress and its a shame to see her there for novelty factor alone.

Now that Rory's been unveiled as a fuckup and a failure who fucked up and who failed for acting the same way she exact same way acted in the original series, hopefully we can put to bed any notion of Rory being treated in the GG world as the specialest snowflake that's ever walked the earth.

I wouldn't describe Rory like this.  I don't think she's handled her career well, but it sounds like she did have some success along the way, before things kind of petered out for her.  I can't really say a lot about the relationship with Logan because it wasn't that well fleshed out during the revival.  I don't know how things restarted between them, or why Rory was willing to be a sidepiece for him. 

I view Rory's career more as wasted potential.  It sounds like she didn't capitalize on her successes, and lacked any real guidance on how to move things forward.           

I've been thinking more about what, exactly, left me so dissatisfied about Rory's arc (or lack thereof, heh) and I really think it's because they wasted a freaking GOLDEN opportunity with Richard's passing, for Rory to really spend some time in introspection about her life and wondering if she's living up to what he would have wanted for her.  Rory was supposed to be the "great white hope of the Gilmore clan" and she has lived up to none of it.  Sure, she had the "I could have been a contender!" moment with Jess, but honestly all I saw out of her was a whole lot of whining about the situation she was in and a whole lot of doing nothing about it.

Early!Rory was PROUD to be a Gilmore, proud to be Richard Gilmore's granddaughter, and I saw none of that in the revival.  None.

I think it's telling that for all the talk over 7 years of Lorelai "wasting" her life and her potential, by the time she was the age her daughter is now she was running a very successful inn (and had been for a while) and in less than 5 years was a very successful business owner.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it as much as I had hoped I would. I really liked Emily's story line, and her journey of discovering herself outside of her marriage. It's such a tragic time and I thought Kelly Bishop portrayed it beautifully. I was also pleasantly surprised that Lorelai didn't annoy me as much as late-series Lorelai did. Sure, she's still loud and selfish at times, but I found her a lot more balanced. I also liked that Emily and Richard were so worried about Luke having the financial stability to support her, when Lorelai was the one with the drive and smarts to build an empire. Emily transferring the franchise money to Lorelai for the Dragonfly was a big Hell Yeah! moment for me.

Onto Rory... I'm a few years younger than Rory, and sort of a bookworm, so I found her journey to be extremely frustrating. I just can't imagine a girl who spent majority of the series concocting detailed pro-cons lists would find herself at that kind of place in her life. The revival managed to exacerbate everything I despised about late-series Rory, when she became complaisant and embraced the high society life that her mother tried to shelter her from.

I keep reading Matt Czurchy read on Logan's character about how he wants to bring the best out of Rory and push her to take risks, and I couldn't possibly disagree more. Logan has taught her how to be a spoiled, entitled brat. That's why I always find the Life and Death Brigade scenes to be so obnoxious. A bunch of grown adults breaking into places and doing whatever they want because they can literally throw money around to take care of it. Who buy clubs because they don't like the music being played. Go somewhere else you jackasses! Sorry, to get back on point... I do think that Logan genuinely cares about Rory, and I think that Rory cares about him and will always be drawn to the seduction of the carefree lifestyle, where there's always someone to make a phone call for you when you're not getting your way. I was pleased that she decided she was done with it before she knew she was pregnant (I'm pretty sure it happened at the Hotel New Hampshire) and made the decision for herself instead of her kid.

I'm also pretty sure she'll tell Logan, and that her visit with her father was more her validating how she suspects Logan will react and what his involvement will be, rather than justifying her keeping it from him. I'm sure Logan will volunteer to leave his fiancee and defy his father to be with Rory, but I doubt it would stick, and he'd be back to playing the good Huntzburger for access to the funds in a few years the same way Christopher used to drift around the canvas. Knowing ASP, she'd knock Odette up too to maximize the drama and give Logan more incentive to stay. The next revival could be One Tree Stars Hollow.

And, ugh, the Paul gag. It was funny in Winter, but it dragged on for way too long, and made Rory look even worse. It was bad that she was hooking up with an engaged Logan (were we pretending the Dean affair didn't happen? Like I know they wanted to romanticize Rory and Dean's first love in the Doose's scene, but girl he wanted to make sure you didn't write about the affair, duh!) but then she had the one night stand too. They could have at least established it as a casual relationship, but he'd obviously met Luke and Lorelai a couple of times (even though they couldn't remember him...) and even gave Luke a family heirloom. Poor Paul!

I thought everyone looked great aside from Lauren Graham's awful plastic surgery (and Todd Lowe who looked way older than 40) what I really notice in these revivals is how much deeper the actors' voices have gotten. Does all of Los Angeles live in an ash tray? Matt and Milo also look like they've spent the past 9 years at the gym. Damn Logan looked good in that morning after scene.[/shallow]

I kind of hope they don't do a second season, even though there's already a lot of speculation. I think everyone got closure except for Rory, and that the pieces are in place for her to relive the original series in older, highly educated, financially set shoes. I think it'll be told much better in fanfic.

I can see why Rory was late to her quarter-life crisis.

First, she came into the news business just before it really began to crater. I'm guessing she got through 2008 into 2009 at least at the website which hired her to cover the Obama campaign. She probably spun that into a few other online gigs, with some freelancing thrown in, that carried her for a while and allowed her to think the brass ring was within her grasp, or at least getting closer. Problem is, major media was laying off left and right. Established veterans were going out the door. Rory was one of thousands of Ivy League graduates with dreams of the big byline. It's so competitive, it took her until 2014 or 2015 to get that New Yorker byline.

Rory has always had blinders. She wanted to be a foreign correspondent. Everything she was doing built to that. She probably didn't see or passed on opportunities to do something else. She could have gone into editing, or some other specialty in writing. Even with those blinders, her stunning lack of preparation for the website job was way out of character for her. She was always the planner, the listmaker. It shows how off her game she is that she didn't go in there fully informed on the site and its history and armed with pitches she could give based on what she observed during the interview. I don't blame that editor (who was annoying as fuck) for being insulted.

Rory's been very passive and avoidant at times. It's why she let things get as bad as they did with Dean and Jess. I had hope for her when she turned down Logan's proposal at the end of the original series, but it seems like his dad's assessment of her was right. She ultimately does not have the killer instinct and spine needed to succeed in the upper levels of the news business. And it's why she was in that Vegas arrangement with Logan, and kept up that whatever-it-was with Paul.

Pride, passiveness and fear of failure (along with the cushion of her family’s cheerleading and her family's money and name) kept Rory firmly on a path that wasn’t right for her. Only now that everything is really, truly drying up for her professionally and personally is she looking up from that set path.

34 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I wouldn't describe Rory like this.  I don't think she's handled her career well, but it sounds like she did have some success along the way, before things kind of petered out for her.  I can't really say a lot about the relationship with Logan because it wasn't that well fleshed out during the revival.  I don't know how things restarted between them, or why Rory was willing to be a sidepiece for him. 

I view Rory's career more as wasted potential.  It sounds like she didn't capitalize on her successes, and lacked any real guidance on how to move things forward.           

I'm with you on that, txhorns.  Also, one of the chief complaints I always had about original recipe Rory was that she seemed ill-suited to her chosen profession.   I'm also not a fan of the concept of "I've always known what I would be, therefore it is what I became! Since I was five, I just knew!" because it's not that common and the thing most people want to be when they are children is not necessarily what they will be best at.  Everyone goes through the astronaut, firefighter, veterinarian, doctor thing (or some version thereof, as a child I saw absolutely no reason why I couldn't be an astronaut and as an adult, not actually that fond of heights) .  

The investigative journalist/field correspondent/war correspondent thing just never fit with Rory, to my eye.  I had always hoped that when she went off the rails in season 5 that she'd simply return to school and find her true passion.  

So I did like that aspect of the revival.  Rory ended up as a scrounging freelancer and please don't mistake me, about half of my friends are freelancers, scrounging for work and there's not even one thing wrong with that.  It takes guts, hard work and being personally flexible to the demands of other people.   It was fun to see Rory rolling with the stuff she had to do.  

That said, I would have LOVED to see her figure out what else she wanted to do, not because she was failing to gain traction, but because she realized journalism just wasn't what she thought it would be, or what she wanted to do.   I wish that had been the bulk of her story, rather than having kind of a lot of involving the dude ASP wanted to have knock her up, to help deliver the infamous line.  

Instead, she sort of did the Jo March thing, sans the radical haircut.   "I'll write a book about the deep emotional relationships I have with my female family members!"  because she couldn't find work in her preferred vocation.  Okay, nothing wrong with that, it just felt a little limp and Jess as her (much kinder) Professor Bhaer figure was nicely done, but I half-expected Jess to whip out an umbrella when Rory bounced out with her chapters (and then promptly back in, odd scene).

Random thing I loved:  Mr. Kim.    Of all the "Fine, here's some fan service and a question answered for all time:  The man lives.  Happy?" things to choose to answer, I don't think I would have called Mr. Kim being the bone she threw the lot of us.  

I sort of hesitantly ask this, keeping in mind that the last three years of my life are a blur of cross country moves, home sales and relocations but....was Wild really that big a thing?  I wasn't aware.   

Edited by stillshimpy
7 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Matt and Milo also look like they've spent the past 9 years at the gym. Damn Logan looked good in that morning after scene.[/shallow]

Don't forget Yanic.  He's quite a bit older than those two and did us forty somethings proud in that swimsuit!

4 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

I sort of hesitantly ask this, keeping in mind that the last three years of my life are a blur of cross country moves, home sales and relocations but....was Wild really that big a thing?  I wasn't aware.   

Ha ha ha, I'd never even heard of it and I don't have the excuses you do.  I forgot to go look it up and see what it was, even.

5 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

That said, I would have LOVED to see her figure out what else she wanted to do, not because she was failing to gain traction, but because she realized journalism just wasn't what she thought it would be, or what she wanted to do.   

Instead, she sort of did the Jo March thing, sans the radical haircut.   "I'll write a book about the deep emotional relationships I have with my female family members!"  because she couldn't find work in her preferred vocation.  Okay, nothing wrong with that, it just felt a little limp and Jess as her (much kinder) Professor Bhaer figure was nicely done, but I half-expected Jess to whip out an umbrella when Rory bounced out with her chapters (and then promptly back in, odd scene).

I was bummed that, in the end, she was actually writing the book. Such a circular and self-referential solution. After the blowup with Lorelai, I wanted Rory to realize she was grasping at the easy way out and then find a new passion project for herself, outside of her relationship with her mother. I also wish Lorelai had read the chapters before agreeing, so she could have been persuaded instead of caving. It is Lorelai's story, too, and the "everything's fodder for a writer" POV is crap.

A closed loop like this fits GG/ASP, it's just not my preference for character growth. And I can also see it the other way, she spent 10 years trying to go her own way, then came home to what feels right and true to herself. Still, I would have preferred her solution be something new and profound, not a return to the cocoon.

2 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

You're welcome to your opinion.  I disagree with that as an assertion.  We actually don't know why any of that was going on, so we're all guessing.  That's your guess.  Have fun with it.  Mine is entirely different and it is just as valid as yours as we weren't told a bloody thing.  

Okay, so that was the part that I just....I kind of don't get as a motivation for ASP.  Who, by the way, gave an interview sort of bawling people out for being too interested in Rory's romantic life....which now seems even more ironic than it did at the time she gave it.   

I'm all for sexual empowerment but it didn't have an empowering feeling.  Rory kept referring to their Vegas arrangement and we have no clue how that all started...and it would have been nice to know because it's kind of a sad thing for someone to do to themselves on purpose, you know?  At first I thought it was kind of fun that Rory wasn't tied down....but she had a boyfriend.  We don't know if it was meant to be exclusive and everything else was a form of cheating, or if it was all fair game.   That's the least of the point though because why would a beautiful young woman do that to herself? 

This might be entirely off-base, but the impression I got was that Logan and Rory had entered into a casual sex arrangement a while ago, before Logan was ever engaged, and the two of them had always treated it as a friends with benefits thing whenever Rory happened to be in London, and not a big deal. Rory makes a comment early on about whether she would find any other girls things in the closet, but is quick to add that they are no strings and it wouldnt matter if she did.

So the impression I got was that Logan's engagement was fairly recent, and Rory was still adjusting to how she felt about it. Perhaps at first she told herself that it shouldn't make any difference when her and Logan were always free to see other people, but then when Logan moved his fiancé in and suggested to Rory that they would need to meet in hotels instead (and later offering her what amounted to a secret sex house), that's when it started hitting her that she was setting herself up for the role of long-term mistress. That's a pretty big jump from having a casual sex agreement with a friend, and sleeping in Logan's actual home whenever you happen to be in town 

Edited by Frelling Tralk

I liked how they handled Rory's career and thought it was pretty realistic. Here's someone who's been told all of her life she's exceptional and gets things dropped into her lap, and now that she's out in the real world and her chosen field is tanking, she's completely unprepared on how to proceed. I also think writing a book is totally in character for Rory, but if the show continues, it had better not be a gigantic bestseller. Or better, have it be the "wrong" kind of bestseller, i.e., it doesn't launch Rory into a position she wants to be in.

But I'm getting ahead of things with that.

Edited by dubbel zout
misplaced modifier

I forgot to mention, the thing that bothered me the most was knowing that Jess was in town and how close he and Luke seemed to remain over the years yet he wasn't in the elopement scene. I'm sure it had to do with Milo's schedule, and it would be in character for Jess to feel out of place, but Luke has always stood by him and it would have been nice to see Jess stand by Luke for this.

9 minutes ago, Frelling Tralk said:

So the impression I got was that Logan's engagement was fairly recent, and Rory was still adjusting to how she felt about it.  Perhaps at first she told herself that it shouldn't make any difference when her and Logan were always free to see other people, but then when Logan moved his fiancé in and suggested to Rory that they would need to meet in hotels instead (and later offering her what amounted to a secret sex house), that's when it started hitting her that she was setting herself up for the role of long-term mistress. 

After the initial shock of it all has died down for me, I agree with this, and it's to Rory's credit she made it clear that wasn't what she signed up for.  

I think it's even possible Rory didn't know Logan was engaged before Mitchum brought it up, it's hard to tell from that scene if Rory was just playing it cool in front of Mitchum or if he had indeed dropped a bomb in her lap and her lack of reaction was her being in shock.  I've only watched everything once so I'll probably pick up on more the next time around, but I would think Rory would have confronted Logan about it after Mitchum left the table if she really didn't know.

Rory has not been a failure as a journalist. As well as the New Yorker, she has been published in, among other places, Slate and the Atlantic. She has had moderate success, and has made a bit of a reputation in her field for the quality of her work.

She's been about as successful in her chosen profession as Alexis Bledel has been in hers. Of course, there is a vast financial disparity between having moderate success as a freelance magazine writer and having moderate success as a lead actress.

I think that writing a memoir is a promising new direction for Rory. She's a good writer, and she has a great story to tell. And if the book is a hit, she won't need a Masters in order to get a Creative Writing teaching job at a university -- maybe even Yale?

1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

I've been thinking more about what, exactly, left me so dissatisfied about Rory's arc (or lack thereof, heh) and I really think it's because they wasted a freaking GOLDEN opportunity with Richard's passing, for Rory to really spend some time in introspection about her life and wondering if she's living up to what he would have wanted for her.

I thought Richard's death as a catalyst for growth and change was underused in general. It was the focus for Emily, but I would've liked it to be more at the center of Lorelai's arc (instead of contrived romance stuff with Luke) and a big driver for Rory, as well. It could have grounded their existential crises in something much deeper and more meaningful. But I guess that wouldn't have been a great tonal fit for all the whimsical whackiness they wanted to shoehorn in.

I forgot to mention, the thing that bothered me the most was knowing that Jess was in town and how close he and Luke seemed to remain over the years yet he wasn't in the elopement scene. I'm sure it had to do with Milo's schedule, and it would be in character for Jess to feel out of place, but Luke has always stood by him and it would have been nice to see Jess stand by Luke for this.

It was very strange to me that Michel and Lane were chosen for the intimate pre-wedding wedding.  It almost felt like Lorelai went through her entire contact list, and these were the only two people who showed up.  I think Lorelai likes Lane, but I can't recall whether they even had a conversation during the entirety of the revival.   As to Michel, I think he and Lorelai appeared to have developed a closer relationship during the revival, but not one where I'd see either she or Luke being like: "It's not a wedding if Michel isn't here with us."   

She's been about as successful in her chosen profession as Alexis Bledel has been in hers. Of course, there is a vast financial disparity between having moderate success as a freelance magazine writer and having moderate success as a lead actress.

I think the difference may be that Bledel started off with huge success, and, for whatever reason, wasn't able to sustain it.  With Rory, it sounds like she had smaller bursts of success that she never was able to make into anything bigger.  I do wish they had given us a better idea of Rory's career trajectory. 

It was very strange to me that Michel and Lane were chosen for the intimate pre-wedding wedding. It almost felt like Lorelai went through her entire contact list, and these were the only two people who showed up. I think Lorelai likes Lane, but I can't recall whether they even had a conversation during the entirety of the revival.

Lane used to work at Luke's and he's the godfather of her children, but again, they didn't interact during the revival either, so the connection wasn't one that immediately came to me when I saw her in that scene. Hell, Kirk should have been there since he's basically Luke and Lorelai's kid.

12 hours ago, MaiSoCalled said:

I've heard that she was really freckly during the original series, she was just well covered with makeup. 

Which is a shame, because imagine an adorable 16 year old Rory covered in freckles. 

Thanks! The kind of info I was looking for. Definitely a shame, as I'm pretty sure Lauren Graham is also more freckle-y than shown on her shows, thus it could have been another shared mother-daughter trait.

16 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

It was very strange to me that Michel and Lane were chosen for the intimate pre-wedding wedding.  It almost felt like Lorelai went through her entire contact list, and these were the only two people who showed up.  I think Lorelai likes Lane, but I can't recall whether they even had a conversation during the entirety of the revival.   As to Michel, I think he and Lorelai appeared to have developed a closer relationship during the revival, but not one where I'd see either she or Luke being like: "It's not a wedding if Michel isn't here with us."   

I agree. I guess they just needed two witnesses besides Rory there, and maybe they could only get Yanic and Keiko. I'm positive that if they could have gotten Melissa and Milo, it would have been Jess and Sookie at the pre-wedding wedding instead. It's a real shame that they couldn't, though, because those two make way more sense. 

Lane was on Luke's side so she was clearly there for him so to speak. I guess it partially makes some sense, as does Michel as Lorelai's pseudo best friend. But they still had two better options that would have probably made the wedding just a little sweeter than it already was.