Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Season 1

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

I am closer in age to Lorelai, and the idea of researching a company pre-internet sounded odd to me.

I'm older than Lorelei, and I went to the library to research companies I wanted to work for. It wasn't as easy, but it wasn't impossible, either. I don't think it's unusual for employers to want their employees to have an idea of what the company does.

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm rewatching Rory/Logan scenes, mostly to try to establish any sort of timeline to their affair, and I totally forgot/missed the part about Logan actually doing research on Sandee Says in Spring. Rory seems completely disinterested and she's putting the website, but it's Logan who is trying to put a positive spin on it. 

Also, I didn't realize how rude Rory is in Spring, both to her boss and the CEO that wants her. I think there's a difference between being confident and outspoken and being just plain rude and condescending. Unfortunately, I felt like Rory was in the latter. Sure, the Naomi woman was pretty demanding, but Rory could not hide her disgust when she was talking to her on the phone. Maybe it's just me reading into it, but I definitely found Rory perhaps a little too aggressive throughout the revival. 

Also, I agree with Sandee that it's weird for her to have three cells: one for work, one for family (except in Stars Hollow when it's needed for work), and one for friends. 

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Sure, the Naomi woman was pretty demanding, but Rory could not hide her disgust when she was talking to her on the phone. Maybe it's just me reading into it, but I definitely found Rory perhaps a little too aggressive throughout the revival. 

You reminded me that when it got to the part where Naomi had her lawyer (?) call Rory to drop the plans for the book, I thought Naomi had gotten wind of the way Rory was bad-mouthing her to people and was trying to sue her for slander or something.  Heh.

17 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Thanks to you and Lady Calypso for the information. I am closer in age to Lorelai, and the idea of researching a company pre-internet sounded odd to me. I suppose it's expected now in our world that has social media accounts for every business or organization. It makes the most sense for people in a journalistic field. I'm a small business owner and have hired many people over the years and never expected someone to ask me questions or know much about my business. This is illuminating. So I guess Sandee's line of telling Rory to sell her in the interview is a common tactic. It felt like it came out of nowhere, and maybe that's why Rory floundered. She likes to be prepared and clearly wasn't. I wonder if Sandee does that to all writers because it makes her look like she's on a power trip. 

I think it's pretty common for most interviewers to expect you to sell yourself and tell them what you can bring to their company, Rory struggled because she went in there assuming that it was all a formality to introduce her to everyone, but that she basically already had the job. I could sympathise with her in that respect because she was being recruited so overzealously that I could understand why she hadn't really prepared for selling herself. It was lame that she couldn't think of *any* stories to throw out there though. Even though she was put on the spot, she should really have been able to come up with a few suggestions considering that she'd supposedly been doing freelance work for years  

19 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Thanks to you and Lady Calypso for the information. I am closer in age to Lorelai, and the idea of researching a company pre-internet sounded odd to me. I suppose it's expected now in our world that has social media accounts for every business or organization. It makes the most sense for people in a journalistic field. I'm a small business owner and have hired many people over the years and never expected someone to ask me questions or know much about my business. This is illuminating. So I guess Sandee's line of telling Rory to sell her in the interview is a common tactic. It felt like it came out of nowhere, and maybe that's why Rory floundered. She likes to be prepared and clearly wasn't. I wonder if Sandee does that to all writers because it makes her look like she's on a power trip. 

Yeah, even coming in knowing what's expected for applications I did sympathize a bit with Rory because it wasn't set up like an interview and Sandee totally misled her. (And so with you on her being on a power trip). So Rory being double footed for a minute is understandable. That said, I agree with @Frelling Tralk that given Rory's been in journalism/freelancing for so long, she should have been able to pull herself together and suggest something. But the impression I got was she had no idea what to write because she'd barely looked at the website. And that's basic info you should know even if you've got the job rather than going in for an interview. It felt like Rory was accepting work there without reading any of their stuff which would be a poor start even if she had been going in to sign paperwork. 

Once again, it would have been a sympathetic mistake for inexperienced, 22-year-old Rory being manipulated by a CEO. But doesn't work for experienced, 32 year old Rory. Endless problems lead back to that point. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
3 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

That said, I agree with @Frelling Tralk that given Rory's been in journalism/freelancing for so long, she should have been able to pull herself together and suggest something. But the impression I got was she had no idea what to write because she'd barely looked at the website.

The impression I got when I first saw the scene, though I've only watched it once so I might need to watch it again, was that Rory appeared by turns bored and bewildered by the SandeeSays office and company in general. I mean, I get that she thought she had the job in the bag and that Sandee did give a lot of mixed signal that were unprofessional, but I can see why Rory might've not given the best 1st impression. That was even before she had her surprise interview. You need a better attitude and presentation to get a burger flipping job, I don't know why Rory didn't bother to at least fake some interest. Sandee and her website may seem over done and frivolous, but it was obvious that she was very ambitious and wanted to do bigger and better things with her company, thus hounding Rory with a job. It wouldn't have killed Rory to try to be a little appreciative of that or the creative input Sandee wanted from her.

5 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Yeah, even coming in knowing what's expected for applications I did sympathize a bit with Rory because it wasn't set up like an interview and Sandee totally misled her. (And so with you on her being on a power trip). So Rory being double footed for a minute is understandable. That said, I agree with @Frelling Tralk that given Rory's been in journalism/freelancing for so long, she should have been able to pull herself together and suggest something. But the impression I got was she had no idea what to write because she'd barely looked at the website. And that's basic info you should know even if you've got the job rather than going in for an interview. It felt like Rory was accepting work there without reading any of their stuff which would be a poor start even if she had been going in to sign paperwork. 

Once again, it would have been a sympathetic mistake for inexperienced, 22-year-old Rory being manipulated by a CEO. But doesn't work for experienced, 32 year old Rory. Endless problems lead back to that point. 

It made Sandee look very unprofessional. I can't imagine reaching out to someone multiple times, and then when they finally submit, expect them to convince me to hire them. Um, what? Imagine working for someone who likes playing mind games with their staff. Yeesh! Rory should write an expose on that in her book. Changing the names but making it obvious who she was talking about. I watch The Affair, and while Sandee is a different character here, she also made me annoyed with her behaviour (just like on The Affair lol).

So much of Rory's story feels continued from season 6. Her struggles with career and love life feel like something an early to mid-twenties young woman would go through. 

1 hour ago, HeySandyStrange said:

The impression I got when I first saw the scene, though I've only watched it once so I might need to watch it again, was that Rory appeared by turns bored and bewildered by the SandeeSays office and company in general. I mean, I get that she thought she had the job in the bag and that Sandee did give a lot of mixed signal that were unprofessional, but I can see why Rory might've not given the best 1st impression. That was even before she had her surprise interview. You need a better attitude and presentation to get a burger flipping job, I don't know why Rory didn't bother to at least fake some interest. Sandee and her website may seem over done and frivolous, but it was obvious that she was very ambitious and wanted to do bigger and better things with her company, thus hounding Rory with a job. It wouldn't have killed Rory to try to be a little appreciative of that or the creative input Sandee wanted from her.

Maybe that whole subplot was to show how Rory wasn't fitting in with journalists anymore. The joke about the NYT and them being old seemed like a dig at Rory's aspirations (although Sandee didn't know it). After her blow up with Sandee she basically gives up and comes home to Lorelai. The discussion here about the interview is leading me to think that Rory was more on the edge than I thought. Certainly it was disrespectful how Sandee dealt with her, but yelling over the phone and destroying 3 phones, and then moving home shows she wasn't as calm as she was pretending. 

12 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Maybe that whole subplot was to show how Rory wasn't fitting in with journalists anymore.

Or maybe it was to show that Rory wasn't really cut out to be a reporter. She can do a fine job when someone gives her an idea, but maybe she simply isn't curious enough to be a reporter. She can write and she can edit, but those are two different skills. 

19 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Maybe that whole subplot was to show how Rory wasn't fitting in with journalists anymore. The joke about the NYT and them being old seemed like a dig at Rory's aspirations (although Sandee didn't know it). After her blow up with Sandee she basically gives up and comes home to Lorelai. The discussion here about the interview is leading me to think that Rory was more on the edge than I thought. Certainly it was disrespectful how Sandee dealt with her, but yelling over the phone and destroying 3 phones, and then moving home shows she wasn't as calm as she was pretending. 

7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Or maybe it was to show that Rory wasn't really cut out to be a reporter. She can do a fine job when someone gives her an idea, but maybe she simply isn't curious enough to be a reporter. She can write and she can edit, but those are two different skills. 

That's what I got as well, I thought Rory was burnt out and realizing she didn't suit journalism (especially modern journalism) after all. That's why I didn't mind Spring too much: Yes Rory was unprofessional and unmotivated, but it seemed they were tearing down her previous ambitions to rebuild her career/life into something new with a more mature Rory in the second half. (Go back to do her Masters, teaching etc.) But all Summer and Fall gave her was the unpaid Gazette job, a vague book plan and surprise baby. No proper life plan or hopeful future. I wouldn't have minded Rory's behaviour and failure in the first half if they'd actually had her develop and go in a different direction in the second. As it is, you look at the whole series and she started spiraling into entitlement and selfishness at the end of s4 and never stopped. 

I wish we'd seen Rory struggle a bit with realizing her ideas of journalism didn't line up with the realities, and how does she square that? What does she do now? But ASP had her ending in mind and nothing was going to get in the way.

3 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

That's what I got as well, I thought Rory was burnt out and realizing she didn't suit journalism (especially modern journalism) after all. That's why I didn't mind Spring too much: Yes Rory was unprofessional and unmotivated, but it seemed they were tearing down her previous ambitions to rebuild her career/life into something new with a more mature Rory in the second half. (Go back to do her Masters, teaching etc.) But all Summer and Fall gave her was the unpaid Gazette job, a vague book plan and surprise baby. No proper life plan or hopeful future. I wouldn't have minded Rory's behaviour and failure in the first half if they'd actually had her develop and go in a different direction in the second. As it is, you look at the whole series and she started spiraling into entitlement and selfishness at the end of s4 and never stopped. 

Man; I remember how excited I had been when Headmaster Charleston planted the idea of Rory being a teacher. Wasted potential right there, and it's not like there are many TV characters who end up being high school teachers or college professors (elementary school teachers, at the very least). But at least 25% of TV characters are writers/authors (at least, that's how it feels). If they're not cops or doctors, they're writers of some sort. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I wish we'd seen Rory struggle a bit with realizing her ideas of journalism didn't line up with the realities, and how does she square that? What does she do now? But ASP had her ending in mind and nothing was going to get in the way.

20 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Man; I remember how excited I had been when Headmaster Charleston planted the idea of Rory being a teacher. Wasted potential right there, and it's not like there are many TV characters who end up being high school teachers or college professors (elementary school teachers, at the very least). But at least 25% of TV characters are writers/authors (at least, that's how it feels). If they're not cops or doctors, they're writers of some sort. 

Me too, I thought his suggestion being paired with the scene of Rory in the classroom meant they were genuinely going to swerve that way and her struggles in journalism were deliberate. And that all our criticisms about her choosing journalism were acknowledged. There could have been a super interesting exploration of Rory acknowledging that maybe she romanticized journalism and clung to this dream for so long without knowing why. (It woudn't have prevented ASP from tacking on the pregnancy ending). 

Also yes, the number of TV characters who are writers drives me crazy - so many shows have a character with literary aspirations and end up writing the story of their lives/the show itself. All these insanely successful writers just isn't realistic. (I feel it's a particular problem among female characters who for some reason frequently get put into writing or journalism). I'd love to see more characters having career dreams in science, engineering, business, government or academia etc. (Tbh the cynic in me would like Hollywood to stop painting creative, artsy careers as the ultimate option - when the reality is most people will fail trying to get there - and show young characters finding fulfillment in other areas. But I get that it's TV). 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
18 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:
18 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Me too, I thought his suggestion being paired with the scene of Rory in the classroom meant they were genuinely going to swerve that way and her struggles in journalism were deliberate. And that all our criticisms about her choosing journalism were acknowledged. There could have been a super interesting exploration of Rory acknowledging that maybe she romanticized journalism and clung to this dream for so long without knowing why. (It woudn't have prevented ASP from tacking on the pregnancy ending). 

In my mind she does end up teaching (which also happens to be a career that fits well with parenting).  And I'll continue to have that ending in mind unless ASP wants to make some more shows and prove me wrong.  :). 

Man; I remember how excited I had been when Headmaster Charleston planted the idea of Rory being a teacher. Wasted potential right there, and it's not like there are many TV characters who end up being high school teachers or college professors (elementary school teachers, at the very least).

Yeah, I really thought they were setting it up so Rory would turn to teaching.  All the seeds were there, it just never went anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Yeah, I really thought they were setting it up so Rory would turn to teaching.  All the seeds were there, it just never went anywhere. 

I mean, it kind of went somewhere. It just went in the opposite direction, with Rory completely turning against the idea because she associated his offer with failing. She never considered that it could have ended up being a great path for her. She just thought Headmaster Charleston was pitying her. He probably was, in all honesty, but I don't think he would have offered it if he didn't think Rory was qualified. 

6 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Hey, does anyone know if AYITL has been transcribed yet?

I saw the links to the transcripts on one website, but when I clicked on them it said they had had to be removed for legal reasons. I was disappointed I didn't get there before the removal to save them to file. 

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewforum.php?f=794

It's apparently at the request of Netflix.

Edited by Pam Poovey
Made an error, missed something out
6 hours ago, Pam Poovey said:

I saw the links to the transcripts on one website, but when I clicked on them it said they had had to be removed for legal reasons. I was disappointed I didn't get there before the removal to save them to file. 

http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewforum.php?f=794

It's apparently at the request of Netflix.

Well, bummer. Thanks, though.

Weird that they were uploaded on the release date. Even if the transcripts were auto-generated from the audio, there wouldn't have been time to add the "Lorelai:" etc tags within 24 hours. Maybe someone used actual scripts instead.

13 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Hey, does anyone know if AYITL has been transcribed yet? And where it might be stored? Or how that even gets done?

i loved reading the OS transcripts and referring to them when I write fanfic. 

Junie, here is a link though it doesn't seem to be formatted very well. 

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-2016&episode=s01e01

15 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Thanks, that's awesome for now. I know enough to search and find a more accurate than my memory version without having to rewatch a scene :)

I'm hoping Starshollow.online updates. It's so easy to find things from the original series.

http://www.starshollow.online/search

On 11/27/2016 at 7:56 AM, ChlcGirl said:

but she had Trix's trust fund that was set up in S1 or 2, PLUS Christopher had money and talked of setting aside money for Rory and Gigi in S6.  That's just sloppy storytelling, there.

I thought Trixie got pissed off and revoked the trust fund offer.  When she died,  that sl seemed to be given the bum's rush, other than Emily finding the letter to Richard on the eve of their wedding (was it ever sent, or was that a copy?)  Did they say what became of her estate?  I would have thought they all would have benefited from her wealth,  unless it all went to charity out of spite.  Another one of those dangling sorry lines/missed opp.

The letter to Richard was a carbon copy, so the assumption was it was sent. Emily says that. If you focus on finances in this series, nothing makes sense. The writers, including ASP, didn't give a flip about continuity or common sense.

14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The letter to Richard was a carbon copy, so the assumption was it was sent. Emily says that. If you focus on finances in this series, nothing makes sense. The writers, including ASP, didn't give a flip about continuity or common sense.

Oh completely and with Richard an only child, he would have had to deal with Trix's estate completely and that would have been a set of money right there and with Richard dying, I'm sure he left things to Emily and if she was gone it either was going to Rory or Lorelai. Just bad, bad story telling. 

I know everyone seems to love Emily's story line, but it was completely ridiculous.  Not to mention poorly done.

Luke was portrayed as if he just fell off a turnip truck.  

So much character assassination.

And the fact that the top half of Lorelai's face didn't move...so so so bad.

2 hours ago, stan4 said:

I know everyone seems to love Emily's story line, but it was completely ridiculous.  Not to mention poorly done.

Agreed!

When Luke was pouring his heart out to her in fall, her face just looked strange. She used to be able to face act so well. Too much Botox!

23 hours ago, stan4 said:

I was fine with Emily in fall after what happened with Richard, but after that? It took until the "bullshit" scene that made me enjoy Emily again. Everything just didn't make sense and Luke was back to: "I have no brain" when April showed up. Because the entire: "She is my daughter" crap just didn't fly. Let's face it, as many of us have said, AS-P acted like nothing happened after season 6 and even though the characters aged, died, moved on in jobs. They acted like nothing ever changed. From Kirk and Lulu deciding in their 40s to have kids after they even admitted it had been almost 10 years. To Richard and Emily money left to Luke with: "How can our daughter be marrying a diner owner." To even the fact that after 8 years, Luke and Lorelai will STILL NOT MARRIED! Or the stupidity of Rory sleeping around, secretly seeing Logan who showed and admitted Rory was his side piece and not breaking up with her booty call for almost a year. When anyone else would have bought a clue after not talking to Rory for almost 3 months. Reminded me of the story line with the movie: "He's not Into You" where the real estate guy was constantly trying to be with Scarlet Johansen's character and didn't buy a clue or she didn't flat out tell him: "You are great in bed, but I don't want you." until he bought a house. I mean come on!

On 11/26/2016 at 12:36 PM, Viqutorious said:

I have such mixed feelings about this reboot! 

So much of it felt rushed, forced and busy, I don't know why they chose to do it that way. There were scenes that felt like a cameo parade. I missed the warmth and subtle humor, at times this seemed like a parody.

I did like some parts, I'm still figuring it out.

this! 

finished watching the gg reunion after my solo/zoom thanksgiving dinner. late in the final episode, during the protracted steely dan flash mop discussion (the last of many that had me shouting “SHUT UP” at the television), when luke said to lorelai,  “you’re exhausting.”

those two words summed up everything i felt about the entire reunion. like viqutorious, i too, “liked some parts.” i just don’t have the energy to spend any time figuring it out. 

one final observation:

somewhere in the revival discussion, someone pointed out asp and dp were used to hour episodes and 90 minutes might have been out of their depth. but an hour network show is 42 minutes. so the 90 minutes is actually two full episodes, which would account for the weak story arc and the extended musical interludes — filler that took up time that could have better used been used to more fully develop the characters. ironic that longer the longer episodes felt so “rushed, forced and busy.”

eta a couple more thoughts:

rory forgetting to breakup with paul might have been funny had it be resolved in the first episode. but having it continue (sporadically) until the end was stupid. yeah, we get it, rory’s a mess — but was she ever that mean? same with the pool scene, which went on way too long. and her “i’m not back!’ throughout the summer episode got old real fast.

given emily’s history with housekeepers over seven seasons, what i really would have like to seen was her hiring someone, then developing a meaningful relationship with them. of course, that would have required conversations. instead we get a ridiculous story with emily turning over her home to her housekeeper’s ever expanding extended family speaking some made language. made no sense.

just so ironic that with so much more time, asp and dp told so much less real story. crazy — and sad.

eta: last one — promise.

the conversation between michel and lorelai at the secret was an all-to-rare example of emotional authenticity.

Edited by wonderwoman
additional thoughts and corrected spelling
9 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

one final observation:

somewhere in the revival discussion, someone pointed out asp and dp were used to hour episodes and 90 minutes might have been out of their depth. but an hour network show is 42 minutes. so the 90 minutes is actually two full episodes, which would account for the weak story arc and the extended musical interludes — filler that took up time that could have better used been used to more fully develop the characters. ironic that longer the longer episodes felt so “rushed, forced and busy.”

A few friends of mine hugely pointed out that the summer episode is just painful and stupid. Including a friend of mine who went: "Good thing Sean Gunn is at Marvel Movies now, Kirk is too dumb to live anymore." However, you can see that the Ps MUST have this specific formula, or it doesn't work. They either don't know how to budget their money on the "correct stuff" people want to see. Or rush through what people DO want to see, of course it doesn't help when certain actors were not free. Jared was free for ONE DAY and why they basically did: "here is the cliffnotes of Dean's life since the show happened, and boy isn't it great he got over himself, but Rory is still a mess?" Then add in Ashley, same story, one day and they threw together what made Luke such an idiot from season 6 on. "It's my daughter, stop being the fun one!" She is FUCKING 24 NOW! Just stop Luke. 

Just watched the mini series for the first time. Came here to do some reading as I watched.

Turned off the first episode when Paul showed up and no one remembered the guy Rory's been dating for two years. WTF? Almost didn't continue, but did some reading and found out he disappeared, so fast-forwarded thru that section and continued. Stupidest, lamest, meanest excuse for comedy I could imagine tossed into this show. Really did not like the Paul gag.

Is the 'Wild' thing real? Some book and movie I've not heard of? Or was it made up for the show?

Of course it was totally unbelievable that Lorelai would ever want to go into the woods where there are no coffee shops. She'd find a spa to 'find herself' at while being pampered.

Loved Emily's blow-up at the DAR. Go Emily! But the gag about the maid's family that spoke a language they never even heard in the UN was absurd, went on way too long.

Lorelai being so mean about the big portrait of Richard was so unnecessary. If Emily wants it in her house, why not?

Fast forwarded thru all the surrogacy stuff, I kinda despise that 'industry.' Surely Paris could have found something better to do with her life. And Paris should have been smart enough to install those chairs that lift old people up the stairs if that was needed to keep a nanny happy.

The town musical was cringe-worthy more than funny. Missed the mark on the townies, made them look blind and stupid more than funny and absurd.

Gilmore Girls has always been full of quirky, kinda stupid humor, sometimes a little bit 'mean girls.' But this was not so much quirky as lame, and way too heavy on the mean for me.

Rory is a troubled young woman. Why *would* anyone want to hire her? No ideas of her own, then falls asleep instantly when trying to write a story based on someone else's idea. Why would she cooperate in keeping her relationship with Logan secret? Why would she, not Logan, be upset when they were seen by Logan's dad? Why would anyone put up with being a 'side piece' for an engaged man?

Rory should get her Master's, teach at Chilton and edit the Gazette, and live in Stars Hollow while raising her baby. That's the sane path the show put forth for her. Of course, we'll never know.

Ending was abrupt and felt off. The four words did not add up to a satisfactory conclusion.

I did laugh a few times, so worth watching, but not something I need to see again.

Thanks for all the good comments here, definitely enjoying the reading!

3 minutes ago, Woodrose said:

Is the 'Wild' thing real? Some book and movie I've not heard of? Or was it made up for the show?

Wild is a real thing, not made up for the show. Just like the book Emily was talking about when she was downsizing - does it bring me joy?

5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Wild is a real thing, not made up for the show. Just like the book Emily was talking about when she was downsizing - does it bring me joy?

Thanks! Found it.

The Pacific Crest Trail Association even did a special magazine issue for the Wild women. Now I gotta see this movie. https://wild.pcta.org/

41 minutes ago, Woodrose said:

Stupidest, lamest, meanest excuse for comedy I could imagine tossed into this show. Really did not like the Paul gag.

Agreed.

41 minutes ago, Woodrose said:

Lorelai being so mean about the big portrait of Richard was so unnecessary. If Emily wants it in her house, why not?

Seriously! I mean, I know this is Lorelai we're talking about here, but is there ANYTHING you won't make all about you? Jeebus.

43 minutes ago, Woodrose said:

Gilmore Girls has always been full of quirky, kinda stupid humor, sometimes a little bit 'mean girls.' But this was not so much quirky as lame, and way too heavy on the mean for me.

That is so perfectly worded I want to frame it and hang it on my wall.

44 minutes ago, Woodrose said:

Rory is a troubled young woman. Why *would* anyone want to hire her? No ideas of her own, then falls asleep instantly when trying to write a story based on someone else's idea. Why would she cooperate in keeping her relationship with Logan secret? Why would she, not Logan, be upset when they were seen by Logan's dad? Why would anyone put up with being a 'side piece' for an engaged man?

YES! to all of this.

The way the cast raved about the script, I expected so much more! I really expected conversations between the characters explaining what happened in their lives over the years. I missed Luke’s being the heartbeat of the town. It was just a plaything for ASP to write a stupid musical because that’s what she wanted to do. The hell with the fans that got her there. It’s was just plain awful!

48 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

The way the cast raved about the script, I expected so much more! I really expected conversations between the characters explaining what happened in their lives over the years. I missed Luke’s being the heartbeat of the town. It was just a plaything for ASP to write a stupid musical because that’s what she wanted to do. The hell with the fans that got her there. It’s was just plain awful!

For me that absolute worst was the stupid, overblown wedding. And after the vows, do Luke and Lorelai walk off, arm in arm to live happily ever after? No, Lorelai rushes over to Rory and Luke walks out alone. That's going to be your life, man. Rory is always going to come first.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

For me that absolute worst was the stupid, overblown wedding. And after the vows, do Luke and Lorelai walk off, arm in arm to live happily ever after? No, Lorelai rushes over to Rory and Luke walks out alone. That's going to be your life, man. Rory is always going to come first.

I thought the same thing. And apparently he went home alone on their wedding night...

I’ve just watched the reunion show. I couldn’t imagine that it could be as bad as all of you have said but I was so wrong! The dialogue, the acting, the plots were just awful. Lorelai’s non-stop spewing was kind of cute when she was 32. It’s not as a 42 year old woman. And her face was so frozen and unnatural. I have always loved Luke and the actor who portrayed him but I really felt sorry for him having to participate in this. And Sookie? She WOULD NEVER leave Jackson and her kids. Who the hell wrote this absolutely nonsense?! Never mind. I know who wrote this abomination. They should have left well enough alone.

I'm up to Summer.  Winter and Spring didn't do much for me.  All we learned were Lorelai and Luke never got married.  Rory is aimlessly flitting around the world and not finding work.  How embarrassing was that Ask Sandee interview?

So Summer begins with Lorelai and Rory lounging by a pool we never knew Stars Hollow even had, making fun of everybody in bathing suits. while 2 little boys hold umbrellas over them.

April is back and just as annoying as ever.

I figured out what bothered me most about Luke.  He wears the same clothes to work and after work.  That stupid hat..all the time.  The same blue shirt..all the time.  And then to sleep he wears the same shirt and sweat pants.  He always looks the same.  BTW that toupee does not do him any favors.

OMG I died laughing when Taylor was walking by the Secret bar and they closed the gates and hid.

Why would Rory take the editor job and not get a salary?  She really took her mom away from work to deliver papers? And claiming she's broke?  Where's the money Trix and Richard left her and why does she take jobs for no pay?  She's not 19 any more.

Lorelai definitely had work done on her face..noticeable in her bar with Michel and newspaper visit to Rory.

Jess??!!??  Wow does he look good.  And good for him pushing Rory again.

FF'd  through the musical due to many reviews in this topic by the GG experts on this site but I did enjoy Carole King singing one of her famous songs.

I've figured out the main problem of this show from the beginning..NO COMMUNICATION!  Everybody conveniently forgets to tell other people things.  I.E., Luke not telling Lorelai about the real estate search with Emily; Lorelai not telling Luke about therapy, etc.  There's so many examples throughout all of these seasons.

And now Lorelai is doing some stupid hiking?  Who's in charge of the inn with Michel gone?  This makes me shake my head.  I guess he didn't leave yet.  I cried at the 13 year old story.  I always pictured Lorelai as popular as a child.

Why couldn't they wait a couple of hours and then get married the way they were supposed to?  Lorelai is so tiring.  I don't know how Luke can actually live with her and some of her idiocy.  No wonder Emily didn't even go to the "wedding".  She probably figured Lorelai was going to cancel anyway.

Pregnant?  really?  why?  she's not 16...she's 32.  Disappointed at the ending.

Edited by NYGirl

I wasn’t going to do it. I wasn’t. Then I had a kinda rotten day and I thought...how bad can it be?

BAD. SOSOSOBAD. Luke sounds like he’s on helium for the first scene. Lorelai’s story at her dad’s funeral? CRIMINALLY horrific. Rory and her bullshit “irons in the fire.” Invisible Paul, yet another pathetic piece of imminent detritus in the wake of the mess that is now Rory.

Kelly Bishop looks wonderful. Everyone else looks like crap.

Kirk needs to slope off for good. I’m okay if it’s by carbon monoxide poisoning in his OOOber.

I’m most of the way through the first whatever this is and now I need a shower and one of those memory erasers from Men in Black.

GAWDAMIGHTY. 

That is all.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

Are you going to watch the rest of it? 

Right now? No. But the next time I climb on the treadmill and don’t have anything else I feel like watching? I will probably fall off the wagon.

Suggestions for alternatives welcomed, by the way. I’m trying to get into Schitt’s Creek but the first episode creeped me out. I am NOT going to watch Mrs. Maisel because I am just so very done with the Palladinos forevermore. 

1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Right now? No. But the next time I climb on the treadmill and don’t have anything else I feel like watching? I will probably fall off the wagon.

Suggestions for alternatives welcomed, by the way. I’m trying to get into Schitt’s Creek but the first episode creeped me out. I am NOT going to watch Mrs. Maisel because I am just so very done with the Palladinos forevermore. 

My go to is British mysteries like Prime Suspect, Vera, Midsomer Murders and the new one Miss Scarlet And The Duke. I like the pastoral countryside aspect of these shows.

1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Suggestions for alternatives welcomed, by the way. I’m trying to get into Schitt’s Creek but the first episode creeped me out.

Schitt’s Creek! I think it was the most binge watched show of the pandemic and I have lost count how many people said some variation of “ok y’all were right!” and “once I got past season 1 it was amazing”. Plenty did enjoy the first season but it improves from there and became this magical little show that brought so much joy.

Another joyous show for me is Derry Girls. If you give this a go turn on the close captions as the northern Irish accents need getting used to.

As for the revival I liked it more than most but I’ll admit I prefer the final episode to the rest. If you decide to watch the rest just keep the expectations loooooooow and you’ll survive.