Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life Season 1

• Start Topic

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, deaja.  I was hoping for this.  I have all sorts of thoughts that don't just relate to just one episode and was terrified of posting a spoiler in one of the threads...lol.  

My motto in life...."Expect nothing.  Hope for more.  Enjoy what you get."  It definitely serves me well in situations where I'm watching or reading a sequel to a beloved story.  Not that what we got here wasn't good.  I loved it for the most part.  

So, I think I was even more traumatized than most of you by the musical in Summer.  Not only did I have to sit through that, but I found myself trying to figure out WHY we were sitting through that.  I started to panic.  Why was Lorelai having the opposite reaction to the other townies when usually she'd enjoy this sort of thing?  I was terrified that she was going to have some sort of epiphany that she had outgrown Stars Hollow and the inn and would leave....probably with Luke, but still a traumatic thought.  The relationship between Lorelai and her adopted home has always been a favorite of mine.  And I hate when a series ends with the main character moving away...like Frasier.  I like to imagine my beloved characters going on with their lives in the same setting where I got to know and love them.  An obvious exception being something where the storyline requires relocation...like MASH.  

Had to share those mental wanderings because I noticed some of you had some of the same thoughts I did, like a sense of dread when Emily put those shoes on at the end.  I can't wait to rewatch that, knowing where they were going with it now.  I liked the thought someone shared in the Fall thread...that maybe it was a symbolic death of her old life.  That's why this forum is the best.  

I hate to say that I didn't like the entire revival. I was so excited, and I'm left feeling disappointed. I have watched all 7 seven seasons over the last month in anticipation, so it was really glaring how most of the characters (except Emily) have completely lost their original charm. I am left hating Rory, and I feel like her character was completely firebombed. I cannot believe these episodes were written by the same people who wrote the original Rory of Season 1. 

The series itself looked beautiful. The town was gorgeous, and the costuming was great. I loved seeing Emily's home in HD--and the Dragonfly, too. 

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I haven't actually seen someone say they just didn't like it, so I thought I'd chime in.

I hate to say that I didn't like the entire revival. I was so excited, and I'm left feeling disappointed. I have watched all 7 seven seasons over the last month in anticipation, so it was really glaring how most of the characters (except Emily) have completely lost their original charm. I am left hating Rory, and I feel like her character was completely firebombed. I cannot believe these episodes were written by the same people who wrote the original Rory of Season 1. 

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I haven't actually seen someone say they just didn't like it, so I thought I'd chime in.

You are definitely not alone. I feel the exact same way and am especially disappointed by all things Rory! 

Deaja, thanks for starting this thread! A bunch of us have been chatting in the "All Episodes..." thread about this revival as a whole. Should those posts be moved here, or should we just stop talking there and come here instead...? Thanks! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
2 minutes ago, sweetlouisiana said:

I hate to say that I didn't like the entire revival.

Winter and Fall were great.  Spring and Summer left much to be desired.  As a whole, it was far from perfect, but there was just enough great to make up for it.  

16 minutes ago, cantbeflapped said:

Why was Lorelai having the opposite reaction to the other townies when usually she'd enjoy this sort of thing?  I was terrified that she was going to have some sort of epiphany that she had outgrown Stars Hollow and the inn and would leave....probably with Luke, but still a traumatic thought.  

My brain never went there, but what a great observation!  So glad it didn't pan out, haha.  I love her in Stars Hollow, it would be too much if she left.  I think it was the catalyst for making her reevaluate the general projection of her life, though.  

I have to hand it to the Palladinos, though: The way Rory turned out, that's probably a realistic depiction of the consequences of protecting a young person from all consequences like Rory was sheltered by Lorelai and Emily/Richard. Add in her timid personality, fear of conflict, inability to deal with criticism and self-involvement, this is what you get with the perpetual "special snowflake" treatment. It made a depressing amount of sense that she'd turn out to be a selfish, entitled and spineless jerk who seems incapable of making any kind of decisions and follow through in either her personal or her professional life.

6 minutes ago, amensisterfriend said:

You are definitely not alone. I feel the exact same way and am especially disappointed by all things Rory! 

Deaja, thanks for starting this thread! A bunch of us have been chatting in the "All Episodes..." thread about this revival as a whole. Should those posts be moved here, or should we just stop talking there and come here instead...? Thanks! 

Thanks for the heads up! I found my people....

Some general likes and dislikes...

Liked....

* Emily's storyline.  Her fights with Lorelai are always so well written and acted...so Winter kicked off our Emily storyline with a bang.  I loved her finally bonding with a maid, but agree with others something felt a little off...like maybe they didn't show enough of that process to the audience.  But overall, I liked that.  I think the maid's family can possibly get a few of Emily's social and family needs met, which could take some pressure off Lorelai and Rory, allowing for a healthier balance with them.  And Emily Gilmore having the courage to make a new life for herself....so inspiring.  LOVE.  

* Luke and Lorelai.  I already expressed my disappointment that they weren't already married after nine years.  But that disappointment aside, I liked them....I'm a total "shipper" for context.  Someone in another thread wondered if ASP likes Luke and Lorelai.  I'd say so.  In Partings and in Spring Lorelai is VERY clear that Luke is the one and has always been the one.  It's ASP who created them, gave them the first scene of the series together, and brought them together so beautifully at the end of season 4.  There has been much written about the lack of a romantic vibe between them.  While I agree that was lacking for the most part in the revival, I'm okay with not seeing that and seeing the comfortable, routine everyday relationship...I can fill in the blanks.  I know this is subjective, but I saw plenty of sparks and romance in seasons 4-6 to know it's there.  So, I do think ASP likes this couple and was probably even motivated to have them stay unmarried so we could see that moment....her olive branch to the fans.  Oh and, while disappointed they didn't have kids, since that had been a stated desire....Luke and Lorelai are going to be the best grandparents!  I might like that even better!!

Rory - I've never been as invested in her storylines.  I really liked her floundering though.  Sure, in her twenties would have been better, but early thirties is okay too.  I agree with a comment in another thread that said they sure seemed to effectively show Rory come to life in a teaching setting.  In my mind, that's where she's headed...with the baby giving her permission to make that decision.  I'm fascinated by Rory becoming a mom...think it will mature her big time.  

This is getting so long....more likes to come.

Dislikes -

Summer - Strange pool scenes and the musical.  Sure, just a bit of the musical would have been some nice quirk....but what the heck?  

Life and Death Brigade - find myself agreeing with both the folks who loved this and the folks who hated it.  I agree Rory seems happy around them and it's nice to see her happy.  I also think thirty something and still doing this?  Really?  Is Dean the only one who grew up?  (Loved his cameo....perfect!). 

5 minutes ago, katha said:

I have to hand it to the Palladinos, though: The way Rory turned out, that's probably a realistic depiction of the consequences of protecting a young person from all consequences like Rory was sheltered by Lorelai and Emily/Richard. Add in her timid personality, fear of conflict, inability to deal with criticism and self-involvement, this is what you get with the perpetual "special snowflake" treatment. It made a depressing amount of sense that she'd turn out to be a selfish, entitled and spineless jerk who seems incapable of making any kind of decisions and follow through in either her personal or her professional life.

I couldn't agree more.  To be honest, I stopped really liking Rory about the time she said, "He was my boyfriend first" to justify sleeping with Dean.  She's never been written as someone capable of looking beyond what she wanted or able to overcome disappointment.  Further, the show itself did her no favors by having her suffer no consequences for her actions (Phi Beta Kappa despite a rather disastrous semester at the start?  Graduating on time with Paris despite taking time off?).

So for me, I was not at all bothered by Rory's storyline in the revival because, as you said, Katha, her character devolved for me anyway during the original series.  

I loved Winter, but it was so painful to me.  My mom died last year and my dad is dying now (after a 53-year marriage), so I couldn't help but be influenced by those things.

But Fall.  I loved every bit of Fall.  I cried through almost all of it - in a good way.  I did laugh a little bit during Rory's conversation with Christopher because I knew where she was going and no, Rory, you DON'T get to make that parallel because YOU are no Lorelai Gilmore!

I was waiting for the UO thread to open up to A Year in the Life topics, but this fits just as well here. 

The Emily arc follows the pattern I expect for a widow, but the execution is simply horrible.

While it's to be expected that relatives with stressful relationships will say the wrong thing during the crisis moments of a loss, Emily went way too far by holding a grudge about it and never acknowledging that her daughter had a right to express her grief, or not express it as she needed. If Emily had been treated by Richard in the same way after Trix's death, it would have ended their marriage.  It should have been a 24 hour or few day ice age, then either apologies (not likely in GG) or just moving on. 

She continued to unilaterally attack Lorelai for her lack of conformance to Emily's standards, from parenting Rory to being with Luke. She tricked her into therapy then abandoned her.

The maid and her family had Emily behaving out of character way beyond normal. I can see her bonding with a maid; it's untenable that she would let a maid walk in and take over her life. 

Making bad decisions like the size of the painting, giving stuff away, leaving the DAR, and moving to Nantucket are all good and reasonable things to do in such an arc. Even the whaling museum makes sense. Not the maid, not skipping her daughter's wedding (she was in Nantucket at the time).

It was the absolute worst arc of AYITL. Yes, that means I'll post some other time about how much I love the Rory arc, and I love it bunches.

5 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Not the maid, not skipping her daughter's wedding (she was in Nantucket at the time).

She was coming to the wedding....she said she had a dress, right?  She just wasn't at the spur of the moment ceremony.  Looking forward to your thoughts about Rory.  

Edited by cantbeflapped

There's another issue that's been bothering me, and I think I've gotten it from the show, but also from some, but certainly not all, of the comments here.

There seems to be a lot of--to use a term I don't really like--slut shaming of Rory.  I'm a big believer in the idea that there's not any one-size-fits-all model for a successful relationship, but cheating on a partner, even if it's a one-note, unfunny joke of a partner, is not commendable behavior.  So I'm not defending that.  But I've also seen a lot of comments that perhaps Logan and Odette had some kind of arrangement, when there was literally no evidence of that.  Actually, quite to the contrary, because if they did, he wouldn't have been sneaking around.

So too from the Wookie hookup.  What was worse, that was played for laughs.

I think I remember similar comments when she slept with married Dean.  And it left a bad taste in my mouth then.

Rory's conduct was hardly exemplary, but she didn't force herself on either Dean or Logan.

3 minutes ago, starri said:

There's another issue that's been bothering me, and I think I've gotten it from the show, but also from some, but certainly not all, of the comments here.

There seems to be a lot of--to use a term I don't really like--slut shaming of Rory.  I'm a big believer in the idea that there's not any one-size-fits-all model for a successful relationship, but cheating on a partner, even if it's a one-note, unfunny joke of a partner, is not commendable behavior.  So I'm not defending that.  But I've also seen a lot of comments that perhaps Logan and Odette had some kind of arrangement, when there was literally no evidence of that.  Actually, quite to the contrary, because if they did, he wouldn't have been sneaking around.

So too from the Wookie hookup.  What was worse, that was played for laughs.

I think I remember similar comments when she slept with married Dean.  And it left a bad taste in my mouth then.

Rory's conduct was hardly exemplary, but she didn't force herself on either Dean or Logan.

It's why I do not like Logan or Rory for their choices. Although there is something a little more disturbing that I've discovered. My mom and I are talking about the revival (she's only seen Winter and Spring) and I'm a little appalled at how she finds the Logan/Rory arrangement absolutely fine! She says that Rory is just using Paul because she loves Logan, while he's only with Odette because of family and it's fine that he's with Rory. All because of love! I am just stunned. I find that a little more disturbing and my mom is part of the average viewership offline (I think). So I do think there are people who believe that because this is just entertainment, that characters can get away with whatever because it's "funny" or "romantic" or "true love". 

It definitly takes two (or more than that - whatever floats your boat), but the partners in Rory's life weren't built up to be Mary Sues the way Rory was.  There was a weird cognitive dissonance in the way Rory was portrayed that has nothing to do with "slut shaming."  But I do think that one cannot claim prior ownership of a giant man-boy simply because one got to him first (but I'm no lawyer).

Too much time spent on the musical, and not enough on Lane and Mrs. Kim. I was thrilled to see Mr. Kim though! As much as I love Sutton Foster, this was GG, not Bunheads.

It seems all the character growth from the Season 7 finale was scrapped, except for Emily. I did like Emily's storyline, although I'm disappointed there are no more Friday night dinners. However, I suppose that's reality, life changes.

I couldn't get past Lorelai not being able to come up with a good memory of Richard, when he gave her that wonderful speech in the original finale. However, I read ASP never watched S7, so there were some continuity issues. Like, what happened to Zack's promising musical career?

Overall, I didn't like it, although I enjoyed some of it. However, I know ASP was constricted by availability of actors. I would have loved to have seen the actual wedding with the town, and wished they would have worked that in, with as many actors as they could manage.

Edited by Leonana
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's why I do not like Logan or Rory for their choices. Although there is something a little more disturbing that I've discovered. My mom and I are talking about the revival (she's only seen Winter and Spring) and I'm a little appalled at how she finds the Logan/Rory arrangement absolutely fine! She says that Rory is just using Paul because she loves Logan, while he's only with Odette because of family and it's fine that he's with Rory. All because of love! I am just stunned. I find that a little more disturbing and my mom is part of the average viewership offline (I think). So I do think there are people who believe that because this is just entertainment, that characters can get away with whatever because it's "funny" or "romantic" or "true love". 

Eh, I get where your mom is coming from. I have a habit, unfortunate or not, of handwaving a lot of things for fictional characters or couples. Of course, if it was real life, I'd be disgusted at the situation, but since it's fiction and no one IRL is being hurt, I don't mind it. I wouldn't condone it in real life. I think it's just that I love Matt and Alexis's chemistry so much. IMO, they still have excellent chemistry and it really showed. Her chemistry with Milo was still good too, but there was so little of it, scene-wise.

Frankly I'm surprised the Logan/Rory scenes were so good, considering how much disdain ASP apparently has for their S7 growth.

6 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Eh, I get where your mom is coming from. I have a habit, unfortunate or not, of handwaving a lot of things for fictional characters or couples. Of course, if it was real life, I'd be disgusted at the situation, but since it's fiction and no one IRL is being hurt, I don't mind it. I wouldn't condone it in real life. I think it's just that I love Matt and Alexis's chemistry so much. IMO, they still have excellent chemistry and it really showed. Her chemistry with Milo was still good too, but there was so little of it, scene-wise.

Frankly I'm surprised the Logan/Rory scenes were so good, considering how much disdain ASP apparently has for their S7 growth.

I guess so. I know that I invest way too much time and energy into television so it's easy to forget that others are not as obsessed as me! I still don't think I'll ever get over Logan/Rory being ok with each other in other relationships. It's fine if it's an actual open relationship, but the circumstances here are not shown to be the case. I doubt Paul knew about Rory and Logan, and Odette definitely didn't know about Rory. Matt and Alexis have good chemistry, but it was seriously dampened by Rory being yet another mistress to a guy. It's the fact that she has not done actual growth or shown to want to do actual growth. She continues to get into these types of dysfunctional relationships and it always has the same outcome. Rory doesn't even technically break up with Logan this time around, just like all of the other breakups that she's had. Logan says that his next step is still marrying Odette. I mean I guess it's a break up, but one that only made sense because it's the mature thing to do. But now with her being pregnant, how is she going to tell Logan and not have everything blow up? 

Here's the one of five options that could happen:

1. Rory tells Logan. Logan doesn't tell Odette but he chooses to support the baby. Rory goes along with the lie. Odette will be hurt when she inevitably finds out, the Huntzberger name will be diminished for Logan being a cheater and a liar and he'd surely be disowned, and Logan wouldn't even be committing to Rory but just their child! The only one that wins is the child, which is definitely important but it becomes less successful for everyone else. Even if Odette never finds out, it puts a bad light on Logan/Rory. 

2. Rory tells Logan. Logan doesn't tell Odette but he does become Christopher 2.0 where he doesn't quite reach his fatherhood potential. That just becomes a mess all around, as seen with Lorelai/Christopher/Rory. 

3. Rory tells Logan. Logan tells Odette and they either end their engagement/marriage or they continue with a very flawed system. The Huntzbergers will never like Rory and will, like the Haydens, blame Rory for ruining their son's life. Who knows what the outcome would be there, but it won't be good. 

4. Rory doesn't tell Logan. Logan never finds out and she raises their child alone. That's a pretty depressing outcome.

5. Rory doesn't tell Logan but he eventually finds out. He resents her for hiding their child and it becomes a Luke/Anna situation. 

Out of all of those situations it seems like 3 is the best outcome. But it's still not even ideal. And imagine if Rory insists on raising the baby alone. Will Logan just accept that, or would he grow up and fight to be a father and a better boyfriend?

The manner in which GG has always shifted registers has never worked for me, and continued as a problem in the revival.

For the most part, GG is a light drama with jokes -- but then we get this sudden tonal shift, and we are in slapstick territory. How are we supposed to take Paul, for instance? Luke doesn't remember meeting him, or his name, even when they had gone fishing together, and even though Rory has been dating him for 2 years?

I get that it's supposed to be a bit of absurdist silliness, but it just sits oddly when placed against Rory's more realistic romantic travails with Logan.

I was one who mentioned the possibility of Logan and Odette having an "arrangement" - I think I said I could "fanwank" it. It would probably have been more accurate to say that if they took the story down that path, I could buy it.  Because you're right in saying that it was never said or even implied in these episodes that Odette wasn't "all in" on their relationship. (I do think it's a little odd, considering the amount of time it was implied Rory was spending in London that the conflict had never arisen before, if that's the case. But that's just an impression.)

For me, the revival hit the right notes overall, with some glaring weaknesses. The musical and the pool were weird, too long, and generally a pain, as everyone has already noted.

I didn't mind Rory's arc, but in the interest of satisfying story-telling, she probably shouldn't end up with Logan. I agree that it didn't seem out of character to have her involved in a distancing relationship like this. Our Rory has never been very good at intimacy with her guys. Or at communicating her own expectations or needs. So yeah, a relationship that is part-time and in secret seems to fit, since she's never been very clear on what she actually does want. And since I've got millennial kids of my own, who have millennial friends, I'm not surprised to find Rory's career hitting a rough patch. My kids are a little more solid in their identities than Rory, but the career-world they're growing into is massively different than the one that existed 30 years ago. It'd be even tougher for Rory in a some ways, since she chose to go into a rapidly changing profession like journalism. Rory's never been great at quickly adjusting to changed plans.

The Lorelai-Emily stuff was gold. The Luke-Lorelai stuff was satisfying. Both relationships brought me to tears at times... happy or sad tears, either way is good. I found the disagreement between Rory and Lorelai, over Rory's book, to be believable and nicely resolved, so was pretty content with their relationship arc too.

The band stuff was weird. You'd think by this time that Hep Alien would have moved beyond practicing in the living room, or given up, but whatever.

The Sookie cameo was warm and lovely, but Melissa McCarthy delivered her lines in a strange way, almost as if she was channeling the "original recipe" Sookie from the unaired pilot. Her voice was more Northeastern twangy than it was in the series. And for some reason, I felt her to be a little distant from the part. I know she was a late addition, and there was a lot of drama surrounding her return, which could explain the strange vibe. It still turned out to be a lovely scene though, so it's clear the woman can act, even if it was a slightly "off" day for her.

In general, we were pretty happy with it here. Cried in the appropriate places, rolled our eyes at the more ridiculous elements, but generally just went along for the ride. And were pretty glad to have done so. If we rewatch, though, we'll definitely skip big segments of "Summer" and some of the more random, unnecessary elements in the other episodes. No need to spend another 6 whole hours just to get to the good stuff. Kind of like doing a re-watch of the original. It can be a slog at times, but the good stuff makes it worth it. And we just keep the remote handy, to hit that fast forward button.

4 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

The Sookie cameo was warm and lovely, but Melissa McCarthy delivered her lines in a strange way, almost as if she was channeling the "original recipe" Sookie from the unaired pilot. Her voice was more Northeastern twangy than it was in the series. And for some reason, I felt her to be a little distant from the part. I know she was a late addition, and there was a lot of drama surrounding her return, which could explain the strange vibe. It still turned out to be a lovely scene though, so it's clear the woman can act, even if it was a slightly "off" day for her.

I'm going to chalk it up to her cameo being so tightly pressed in, since they had the whole drama of whether Melissa would be part of the revival. So it seems like she only had a day to go in and film, and who knows when she actually got the script for her particular scene. I still ended up loving it and she was still delightfully Sookie in many ways.

I am still in the process of registering all of this and with a discombobulated memory I may actually do a rewatch in a week or two and take notes ... watched the whole thing (with a potty break or three) with my daughter, my husband and my daughter's boyfriend (the latter of whom had never watched GG but played along gamely). 

One convo we got into was that Rory had absolutely devolved into an entitled brat (and we time that "blossoming" to her becoming involved with Logan and the Life and Death Brigade) and by the end of the series was just eminently unlikeable which we don't necessarily think was the original intention of the 'dinos but who knows? It certainly was cemented in this package.

Like, hey, Rory, way to put a great big buzzkill on your mom's wedding night. You couldn't wait until after the honeymoon or even the next day? 

Here is something I wonder though (if it's being discussed in one of the other threads PLEASE let me know ... I intend to read every single thing in this series of threads but may not be able to keep up with everything!) ... I wonder how this would have all been written/played out/come down had, indeed, these #LastFourWords been spoken in the last episode of Gilmore as originally envisioned by ASP rather than in a 10 years later world? Would she have been happily settled in with one of her boyfriends? Or indeed being the plucky single mom? 

We think Rory as we see her would be a TERRIBLE mother right now (Luke and Lorelai may just adopt the child to raise and let Rory continue her self-seeking or run off to Europe with Logan or something) ... in fact, we were joking that in fact they were faking us out ... we get the four words "Mom. Yeah? I'm pregnant." They cut to credits. And at the end of the credits we get the REAL last scene and last four words: "I'm having an abortion."

LOVED LOVED LOVED the Emily arc though ... and Rose Abdoo in the Gilmore-semi-traditional dual role. 

Oh, and one of our favorite moments? Also involving Rose Abdoo in the town meeting when Taylor is looking for "gays" for the march and her comment about "no one?" which kind of had a double meaning, to us, of it being about Taylor but also self-referencing (though I was surprised they didn't follow that storyline with maybe Michel being upset that he wasn't asked to be grand marshall.)

And finally ... my daughter and I both squeeeeed in delight and sang along when Troubador played "Valley Winter Song." HUGE Fountains of Wayne fan here and saw Chris Collingwood (one of the "Fountains" and the guy who wrote the song) do a solo show recently and he played it there as well. Beautiful song, obscure gem.

10 minutes ago, photo fox said:

I was one who mentioned the possibility of Logan and Odette having an "arrangement"

It seems possible to me. Logan was in the bedroom when he basically supported Rory through a tough time, and he didn't seem to be too bothered if Odette overheard his part.

Later, though, he stepped out onto the balcony as Odette came into the apartment, but that could easily be an avoidance of the 'I'm home' stereotypical discussion. 

We don't know Odette at all. I hope we'll find out.

15 minutes ago, photo fox said:

I was one who mentioned the possibility of Logan and Odette having an "arrangement" - I think I said I could "fanwank" it. It would probably have been more accurate to say that if they took the story down that path, I could buy it.  Because you're right in saying that it was never said or even implied in these episodes that Odette wasn't "all in" on their relationship.

That's fine, and I agree, if they were willing to be a little less traditional with some of the sexual morality of the show, I could buy it to, but even if Odette knew and was fine with it, a Logan with a free pass is still sleeping with a woman who has a boyfriend.  It's the same thing as a single Rory sleeping with married Dean.

Logan may not have any moral responsibility to Paul, but there was a lot implied by the show about Rory's moral responsibility to Odette.

Lighter note, and I know it wouldn't have fit in with the heart-string tugging of Richard's funeral, but I found myself wondering if Pennilyn Lott was there.  Just for being Pennilyn Lott.

Edited by starri
5 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I wonder how this would have all been written/played out/come down had, indeed, these #LastFourWords been spoken in the last episode of Gilmore as originally envisioned by ASP rather than in a 10 years later world?

Keep in mind ASP had ideally a full eighth season. Rory would have become pregnant a year after she left Yale, not an uncommon time to settle down and raise a family. 

It would also have been an easy escape for Rory, who would by then have discovered how impossible it was to have the career she fantasized.

2 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

That Taylor is gay thing annoyed the hell out of me because I remember Taylor talking about his wife in the first season.  It's like Jesus Christ Amy .. could at least YOU remember info on your own characters?

He also said Sutton Foster was the hottest woman he'd ever seen.  I mean, I can recognize when women are attractive, but I don't think that's a descriptor I'd use.

Ok, before I start, a confession - I've always been Team Logan.  I love Logan.  

That said: 

1. I didn't love the revival.  It had it's moments, but I was not impressed overall. 

2. Emily - I was sad for her character, I cried so much over the loss of Richard.  However, she felt to me not as much a grieving widow as an elderly woman who was becoming senile.  Of course the loss of her spouse of 50 years is going to make her question everything, and perhaps make some changes, but, I don't know, it just felt like it was more than that, to me. 

3. Lorelei - Eh, I don't have a lot to say about her.  I'm glad she and Luke finally got married.  I had hoped they'd have another child; Lorelei was clear about wanting one when they were engaged the first time, it seems like in 9 years she would have made a move on that. 

4. Rory - Ugh, Rory.  She is kind of the worst.  I'm annoyed that she and Logan were cheating on their respective partners with one another.  They clearly want to be together, they're in their 30s, just be together.  She can write her book from London just as easily as from Hartford.  The pregnancy I saw coming.  I think she'll keep the baby, if the series goes on.  The conversation with Christopher made it sound like she was considering just going it alone and not telling Logan; feeling her dad out to see how he felt about not being involved in her childhood. 

5. Paris - Was Paris pregnant?  I thought when she and Rory were in the bathroom at Chilton she said she missed her period, but Rory didn't really respond.  I loved her and Doyle together, I had hoped they'd work out. 

6. Christopher - I'm sad that it seemed that he and Rory aren't close anymore.  I feel like season 7 ended with them being closer and having a better relationship than they had had.  Even after the divorce, he came to her graduation from Yale, and Rory was used to her parents not being together, it doesn't seem like the divorce would have really changed her relationship that much.  As an aside - David Sutcliffe looked amazing.  He's aged better than anyone else on the show, IMO.  At least anyone of the "adult" generation. 

7. Jess - I hated Jess at the beginning of the series, but he's grown up and I like him better now.  I don't see him and Rory together, because she's so self-centered.  I think he's been brainwashed into the "Rory is amazing," camp, but I think if they spent any significant time together as adults, he'd get over that. 

8. Dean - Yay, Dean!  I'm glad he's happily married with 3 (4?) kids.  Good for him.  

9. Lane's Dad - HEY, LANE HAS A DAD!  

10. Michel - I have no issue with Michel being gay or being married to a man, however, I think the original series established that he was straight.  It wasn't super clear, but he made several comments over the years pertaining to dating women, and get dressed for "the ladies," etc. implied he was not gay.  

11. Lane & Zach - It was nice to see them and their kids, along with Brian and Gil.  

I think those are all my thoughts for now. 

2 hours ago, katha said:

I've always seen Rory this way and honestly felt a little vindicated by her adult characterization. It's completely in line with who she was becoming over the course of the original series. Which is not to say that it still wasn't disappointing to see that she'd grown so little.

I thought this revival was a hot mess. There were some threads of greatness here-namely anything to do with Lorelai and Emily that was centered on grief over Richard. But on the whole it felt meandering and unfocused, and there was a shocking amount of time wasted on random diversions that had little to do with anything meaningful for the characters. Many of the relationship stories required believing that they had all remained in stasis for years, as they seemed more suited to picking up right where the characters left off than a depiction of where they would be nine years later. And in Rory's story especially, so much was left unaddressed and unresolved after months of hype (though this may be because the creators are angling for a revival, part 2). To say nothing of the minor characters that were left adrift (Paris and Doyle, anyone?).

It's just a little hard for me to process that Amy Sherman-Palladino had a decade to dream up what she would do with these characters if given another chance, and this is what she came up with.

4 minutes ago, steff13 said:

10. Michel - I have no issue with Michel being gay or being married to a man, however, I think the original series established that he was straight.  It wasn't super clear, but he made several comments over the years pertaining to dating women, and get dressed for "the ladies," etc. implied he was not gay.  

Maybe he did, not that I remember, but if so, Michel could easily be sexually fluid, maybe closer to the bisexual spectrum than the gay spectrum. He doesn't have to be one or the other. 

6. Christopher - I'm sad that it seemed that he and Rory aren't close anymore.  I feel like season 7 ended with them being closer and having a better relationship than they had had.  Even after the divorce, he came to her graduation from Yale, and Rory was used to her parents not being together, it doesn't seem like the divorce would have really changed her relationship that much.  As an aside - David Sutcliffe looked amazing.  He's aged better than anyone else on the show, IMO.  At least anyone of the "adult" generation. 

Heh. You see, that's your first mistake in referring to any positive outcomes in season 7! Don't you know that S7 never HAPPENED? Oh, besides Christopher and Lorelai getting married but that's all for therapy, amiright?

Edited by Lady Calypso
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Maybe he did, not that I remember, but if so, Michel could easily be sexually fluid, maybe closer to the bisexual spectrum than the gay spectrum. He doesn't have to be one or the other. 

He did, and he could be bisexual, but it seemed disingenuous to me.  I think because of Gilmore Guys, and the "is this homophobic" segment.  It's as though they were trying to compensate for many comments in the original series that were, frankly, homophobic.  Sort of the equivalent of saying, "some of my best friends are gay," if you see what I mean.  

David Sutcliffe and Sebastian Bach did not age at all. It was funny to think of Zach complaining about how Gil was too old for the band, and now Zach looks much older.

11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Heh. You see, that's your first mistake in referring to any positive outcomes in season 7! Don't you know that S7 never HAPPENED? Oh, besides Christopher and Lorelai getting married but that's all for therapy, amiright?

I think this bugged me the most. I know Amy didn't see it, but I saw it. In my mind, those things were cannon.

2. Emily - I was sad for her character, I cried so much over the loss of Richard.  However, she felt to me not as much a grieving widow as an elderly woman who was becoming senile.  Of course the loss of her spouse of 50 years is going to make her question everything, and perhaps make some changes, but, I don't know, it just felt like it was more than that, to me. 

Deep depression can look like early Alzheimer's or dementia.  I moved in with my dad last summer when my mom died unexpectedly; they'd been married 53 years.  He didn't need someone to take care of him, but I knew he'd be lonely.  That's an understatement.  He didn't (doesn't?) know who he is without her.  And he wasn't the one who lived his whole life taking care of her - the way Emily did for Richard.  I thought the show nailed it really well.  Of course she'd lose track of time/days - she used to set her calendar around him.  Plus, depression makes you exhausted.  Sleep is a refuge.  

Good for her for selling the house; but for going someplace that held fond memories for her of him.  And for finding volunteer work that was useful and not "Bullshit!"  I thought the Berta-device was odd, but it made me happy to know she wasn't alone - that she wasn't lonely.  Because honestly, Lorelai and Rory did not seem to be making much of an effort to help on that front.  So if Emily needs to find another family (albeit another one she can't communicate with), at least she won't die alone and unloved in her own home with no one to notice.

Ah, I just posted my amalgam of overall thoughts in 'All Episodes' without having seen this. I will just drop a copy-paste right here, since this makes more sense...

• I loved a lot of the nostalgia and references and shoutouts. It was Gilmore, and that's what I wanted.
  • I never cry at TV/movies, but Richard's funeral scene got a couple tears.
  • I really liked Emily's arc. It seemed the most natural, realistic, and true to how she might have reacted given all that was thrown at her. I love her as a docent in the whale museum :)
  • Lorelai (and Luke) were ok. My main complaint there was that it did not ring true to have them only now be talking children, future, wedding, whatever. It's like, hi, this - in real life - would have happened seven or eight years ago, especially the kid conversation as Lorelai would have been hitting 40. I really didn't like that they claimed to have not talked about kids - "What about the kids?!" and plants and "Kids would be good". That aspect of them was so obviously contrived just to have it in this revival. I would have preferred to see things like the Inn expansion, Richard's franchise trust, etc. all still happen, but while they'd been married for six years and had a four year old running around.
  • I hate Rory. Like, were she a real human, I'd be disgusted by her behavior and the cheating/clandestine relationship with Logan. And Paul? I get it was done for humor, but it takes a miserable brand of person to string someone along (for years!) that they don't even care about while cheating to boot. I really felt bad for Paul.
  • I do, however, sympathize with her feeling lost in the world and jobless/rootless, even into her 30s. It's real and it sucks.
  • Regarding the ending, I 'get' what we're supposed to interpret with the parallels of Jess/Logan to Luke/Christopher. But ugh. I was never #teamanyone, so I may well go on with the head canon that the kid is either Paul's or that Rory signed up as as a surrogate for Paris' company to get some cash while working on the book. Is it what happened? No, but I'm going to stomp my feet and refuse to accept Logan. Even Jess as the father would be a better option.
  • Again, regarding Rory. They could have done the Logan thing without there having been cheating and being horrible to Paul. Ugh.

Overall, I'm still really glad this revival was a thing. But no, it wasn't perfect.

If Rory would have been pregnant at the series end, I wonder where Amy would have envisioned where Rory And Logan's relationship was. I think Richard would have been so disappointed that Rory graduated college, but never got a chance to live her dream. Now, she's 10 years older, lived an adult life, and is in a much better place to raise a child.

I love that Emily found Emily. After 50 years of being someone's wife and social partner, and being raised to be just that, it was good to see Emily live a life for herself.

I don't think the DAR works that way. You have to have your own pedigree, don't you? Not just marry into a DAR family?

2 minutes ago, Leonana said:

David Sutcliffe and Sebastian Bach did not age at all. It was funny to think of Zach complaining about how Gil was too old for the band, and now Zach looks much older.

Agreed.  Milo Ventimiglia and Jared Padalecki looked great, too, but they were younger to start out with.  Lauren Graham seems to have had some unfortunate plastic surgery.  I thought Alexis Bledel looked quite a bit older. 

4 minutes ago, Nilo said:

And for finding volunteer work that was useful and not "Bullshit!"  I thought the Berta-device was odd, but it made me happy to know she wasn't alone - that she wasn't lonely.  Because honestly, Lorelai and Rory did not seem to be making much of an effort to help on that front.  So if Emily needs to find another family (albeit another one she can't communicate with), at least she won't die alone and unloved in her own home with no one to notice.

I did love her working as a docent at the museum.  I am a DAR member, and we do a lot of good things, it's not all bullshit.  And, there's no interview panel involved in the selection process.  

The Berta thing was weird.  I don't know how I feel about it. 

Total agreement on the hotness that it David Sutcliffe! And that the S7 development of Chris's relationship with Rory got thrown under the bus with Logan. But Logan is Christopher, don't ya know? /sarcasm

4 minutes ago, Nilo said:

Because honestly, Lorelai and Rory did not seem to be making much of an effort to help on that front.

Yeah, if my grandma answered the phone all disoriented, acted completely not like herself, and seemed to be turning her house over to an employee's ever-growing family, I would get in my car and drive there immediately. Not just casually mention to my mom that she should probably check in grandma sometime. If she's in the neighborhood. Maybe.

4 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I don't think the DAR works that way. You have to have your own pedigree, don't you? Not just marry into a DAR family?

Right, you have to be able to trace your own lineage to a Revolutionary War patriot.  And they don't really "black ball," anyone.  If you have the right pedigree all you have to do is prove it and pay your dues, about $65 a year. 

It's not bullshit, but Emily was finding it to be so.  The former Emily would never have done so.  Again, I found that to be a good portrayal of what she's going through.  My dad is the same way now.  He's cut himself off from groups that he was a long-standing member of because he now finds them frustrating.  Unlike Emily, he hasn't found a new thing; he hasn't put on his Keds.

29 minutes ago, steff13 said:

As an aside - David Sutcliffe looked amazing.  He's aged better than anyone else on the show, IMO.  At least anyone of the "adult" generation.

I think that has something to do with being clean-shaved and possibly hair dye. He made an appearance on "Timeless" recently, and he looked a whole lot rougher/older there, with gray scruff, etc.

All I can think about is how this is How I Met Your Mother 2.0, in which the showrunners are so insistent on having their original ending and having it go their way that they completely dismiss everything that happened before that final episode, character progression and all. SCREW THE FANS, AMIRIGHT ASP?

Just now, Randomosity said:

I think that has something to do with being clean-shaved and possibly hair dye. He made an appearance on "Timeless" recently, and he looked a whole lot rougher/older there, with gray scruff, etc.

He was also made a very weird cameo as himself on Degrassi: Next Class earlier this year and looked kind of terrible.

Some random observations :

Taylor is still just a Selectman, right? If the people of the town want a bar, how can Taylor veto their wishes?

Lane, girl, you were so bright, so brave, so energetic, so alive. Now, you're working in your mother's shop as your day job and playing drums in a local weekend jazz duo? Why does Rory get to take her talents out into the wider world, and you remain in Stars Hollow? I wish we could have seen a Rory/Lane heart-to-heart about their respective life choices. They had room for that endless musical parody, why not for that?

Overall, I'd rank the revival as better than season 6 or 7, and 'Fall' as one of the best ever GG episodes.

39 minutes ago, starri said:

He also said Sutton Foster was the hottest woman he'd ever seen.  I mean, I can recognize when women are attractive, but I don't think that's a descriptor I'd use.

Exactly!!!  Just because a character is a fussy busybody doesn't mean that they are gay, especially when a spouse is mentioned.  I try very hard when watching shows to not supply a back story to explain characters.  I watch and see what happens and listen to their words.  If I don't see it or hear it, it ain't happening in that world.

Taylor had a wife in S1. There was never a mention of her dying or Taylor divorcing, thus she still existed.  SO THE TOWNSPEOPLE WAOTING FOR TAYLOR TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET WAS KIND OF OFFENSIVE.

That whole scene was just ..blech.  I'd think ASP was homophobic if the Michel storyline wouldn't have been handled so well.  Perhaps someone else wrote that.

Edited by ChlcGirl

I have such mixed feelings about this reboot! 

So much of it felt rushed, forced and busy, I don't know why they chose to do it that way. There were scenes that felt like a cameo parade. I missed the warmth and subtle humor, at times this seemed like a parody.

I did like some parts, I'm still figuring it out.

eta, I was really hoping they would end the show with the song "Our little Corner of the World"

Edited by CheeseBurgh
8 minutes ago, clack said:

Now, you're working in your mother's shop as your day job and playing drums in a local weekend jazz duo? Why does Rory get to take her talents out into the wider world, and you remain in Stars Hollow?

I think it's called "twins." Keiko looks absolutely amazing and I need to get a photo of her so I can bring it with me for my next haircut appointment.  But seriously, I thought she seemed perfectly happy and content. She seems to have found peace with her mom (and dad! Was that her dad leading the yoga class on the green, by the way?), has adorable sons, is happily married and the band is still together plus she and Zach can play weekend jazz gigs covering Rock Lobster and stuff.  She's got a pretty nice full life.  And next time I go see my hubby at one of his jazz gigs I am definitely requesting Rock Lobster.

9 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

Just because a character is a fussy busybody doesn't mean that they are gay, especially when a spouse is mentioned.  I try very hard when watching shows to not supply a back story to explain characters.  I watch and see what happens and listen to their words.  If I don't see it or hear it, it ain't happening in that world.

Taylor had a wife in S1.

I do agree that the townspeople were offensive by insinuating Taylor was gay, but I don't think he ever mentioned having a wife.  I wonder if you're thinking of Harry who played the mayor in season 1 and mentioned his wife was at Bingo at the firelight festival in Star-crossed Lovers and Other Strangers?

3 minutes ago, shron17 said:

I do agree that the townspeople were offensive by insinuating Taylor was gay, but I don't think he ever mentioned having a wife.  I wonder if you're thinking of Harry who played the mayor in season 1 and mentioned his wife was at Bingo at the firelight festival in Star-crossed Lovers and Other Strangers?

I think you might be right, I have no recollection of Taylor saying he was married either.

I hated the Paul story and thought Rory and Logan both sucked. Paul and Rory had been dating for two years, which seems like it should be exclusive at that point—he visited her in Stars Hollow, so he at least thinks they're more serious than she does, IMO. As for Logan and Odette, he did say he was going to marry her for "dynastic reasons," which could mean that they have an agreement. Or not. But since we didn't hear of one, Logan was cheating on Odette AFAIC. So, Rory and Logan suck.

I loved Emily's story, especially her pride at buying the Nantucket house in her own name. For someone of her age and social class, that's a big deal. Her life revolved around her husband's, and while I think she and Richard were equal to a certain extent—her support definitely made him the success he became—she was still Mrs. Richard Gilmore more than she was Emily Gilmore.

They handled Edward Herrmann's death beautifully. I really liked how it was a theme through all four episodes.

Luke and Lorelai not talking about kids at this point in their relationship was ridiculous, especially at their ages. But it gave us Paris, who is always welcome to me. I agree with everyone who thinks fertility doctor is probably the last specialty Paris would go into, but she also has an MBA, so maybe she's in it for the money. Her clinic is the biggest in the Western Hemisphere (or was it the world)?

I'm not surprised Rory is floundering professionally. She wanted to be a print journalist. News flash, Rory: Newspapers are dying. Those that are still around are in trouble. She should know that. 

Some of the cameos seemed forced—Jared Padelecki's, for one, was pretty glaring—but I loved Chris Eigeman's. It made sense that Jason would come to Richard's funeral, despite getting screwed over by him. Jason always like Emily, and I think he'd show up for her sake, if nothing else.

The last four words? I'm with Kelly Bishop: Eh. As soon as Rory starting asking Christopher about why he didn't fight harder to stay in her life, I knew Rory was pregnant. Ugh.