Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Scratched

AmandaPanda

Mike becomes the biggest news story in the MLB when rumors start about him waiving his no-trade clause. Meanwhile, Evelyn and Will (guest star BJ Britt) go in on a business venture together, but Amelia is concerned that it relies too heavily on Ginny's fame.

DVR Alert!
There's no thread open yet for tonight's episode (12/1) so I didn't quite know where to put this.  I just checked the TV listings for tonight and the episode, "Scratched" will run from 8:59 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Okay, I concede, Ginny and Mike have great chemistry that moment at the end was pretty hot. However, it does not make up for an episode that lacked suspense since it was obvious that they were not going to trade Mike. 

At least, Evelyn caught on to Will's schemes quickly. I don't understand why he doesn't just ask Ginny for the money that he needs. Why come up with the restaurant scheme and steal it from her friend?

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Well that was a lot of beard nuzzling that was all for naught. 

I didn't feel this one at all outside of knowing Evelyn figured things out quickly. 

They should've just want there with the kiss instead of backing out at the last minute after spending so much time with the flirty and nuzzling.

• Love 3
Just now, In2You said:

They should've just want there with the kiss instead of backing out at the last minute after spending so much time with the flirty and nuzzling.

Yeah, I don't get why they didn't have them kiss. They both thought he was leaving. A kiss would have ratcheted up the tension between them after he ended up staying.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, TNRLM said:

Sure that potential Pirates trade isn't with the Nats instead of the Braves? As an Atlanta fan, I'd hate to hear about a blockbuster trade in a Pitch review.

If you think I'm going to edit that just because I'm here, YOU ARE CRAZY. (hee)

It's a shame that this show is almost certainly finished because the actual baseball scenes tonight, bottom of the ninth, home team one run down, two outs, runner on second and the guy you want at the plate really had me into it because I'm in baseball withdrawal!  I'll be disappointed when the show is gone.

I liked the CEO from the video game company.  I found the Super Noah/Princess Ginny text he sent to be delightful.  I guess Ginny did too.  They had good chemistry.

• Love 11

I really wish this weren't the story they were telling with Ginny's brother.  I feel like having him be misguided, and someone who supported Ginny and whose dreams she wants to support, would be a more interesting tale than having him be outright shady.  On the other hand, this does have the potential to create some tension in the relationships between the families. 

I like Sarah Shahi and felt she was wasted.  Her whole purpose was to get Oscar and Al communicating and to stop the trade?  Eh.  I don't think communication was really their issue most of the season.

I really did like what they did with baseball today.  From Ginny giving Mike a hard time while he was practicing to having Mike's last at-bat end in a strikeout instead of glory.  And he still got applause.  There was something both touching and surprising about that.

As for the Mike and Ginny, I did like how the show set up the two of them being alone at the bar in that it was a coincidence and yet not really. Part of me wanted a kiss, especially if this show is cancelled.  But the long-time shipper in me also appreciates a really good almost-kiss...sometimes even more than an actual kiss. A show is more likely to hold the moment with an almost kiss.

• Love 19
11 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Yeah, I don't get why they didn't have them kiss. They both thought he was leaving. A kiss would have ratcheted up the tension between them after he ended up staying.

I liked the scenes with the tech guy better than her angsty good bye with Mike

• Love 8

I genuinely teared up when Buck said that if Al got sacked for putting Mike in, he'd go too. And again when all the fans cheered for Mike after his last at-bat. Nice job making it a strikeout—it's more realistic than a hero homer. 

Mike and Amelia at the beginning were great. I liked them together, dammit. I still feel Mike and Ginny's chemistry more as friends, but for where the show wants to take them, the near kiss was a good setup. The life experience difference just seems off to me, the rookie who hero worshipped and the veteran on his way out. 

Al's daughter was only in for two eps? I would have liked her to be around for longer—just one thing that is a constant among all the change that both her dad and Oscar are dealing with. 

Ginny needs a financial adviser, the way Mike has one. (Blip, too.) Finding out from her date that restaurant investments are the worst is a little late in the process. And that is without one of the partners actively grifting. :-(

Eliot got two whole scenes, AND some lines—woo!

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, In2You said:

I liked the scenes with the tech guy better than her angsty good bye with Mike

I liked the tech guy too. He was definitely into Ginny and seems nice. If the show was doing better and was getting more episodes, it would have a good triangle. 

3 minutes ago, ahisma said:

Ginny needs a financial adviser, the way Mike has one. (Blip, too.) Finding out from her date that restaurant investments are the worst is a little late in the process. And that is without one of the partners actively grifting. :-(

I agree. However, the show is depicting exactly how so many professional athletes end up losing millions; bad investments and being conned by people they trust.

• Love 8

The choice of the Cubs as the trade partner is a little off, to me, because yeah, the writers lucked out that the Cubs DID get the ring, but they got the ring because Theo Epstein probably would not go for a trade like that? 

Yeah, I'm not sure when this episode was written, but Theo would NEVER go for a trade like this, especially this past year.  The very last thing the Cubs needed this year was another catcher (except maybe another outfielder), and they would never give up two great pitching prospects for a short term player that they didn't really need.  Usually I don't get too caught up in the baseball details of this show, since I really like the story, but as a huge Cubs fan this really pulled me out of the story and made me all ranty at the TV.

• Love 5

Oh, please dont cancel this show! Its filing the hole in my heart that the end of baseball season always leaves! And I do like the characters and the story, and I am really invested in the Mike/Ginny stuff, even if the drama in this episode was a little muted, considering we all know that Mike wont really be leaving the team/show. That last scene might be converting me into a Mike/Ginny shipper, God help me. 

I do like the tech guy though. I thought his little 8 bit text was adorable, and Ginny seems to like him. I normally dont like love triangles, but this could be a decent one. as long as the tech guy does not turn out to be an asshole so she can get to Mike faster. 

I loved Blip telling Mike how he needs to go up to bat, and then nonchalantly telling the guy actually up to bat "no offense" and he was just like "no worries dude". Followed by Mike striking out, but everyone cheering for him anyway. That was not what I expected, but it was really well done. 

Of all teams, the Cubs? I am a huge Cubs fan, and I love hearing about them, but man, Mike was going to go to a team that is famous for never winning a World Series, to get closer to a World Series? The writers are damn lucky the Cubs managed to pull off their miracle this year (Go Cubs Go)!

So Ginny's brother is kind of shady? Too bad, but I figured this is where they were going. Ginny REALLY needs a money manager, right now. When your getting your investment advice on your first dates, you know theres an issue. I assume Ginny feels guilty about how messed up their childhood was, but putting her money and name onto a probable failure does no good for anyone. 

• Love 6

Mark-Paul Gosselaar is elevating this show from deeply frustrating to Not Good, but Worth Watching, and kind of Frustrating.

Do we need to check in with somebody who watched a lot more Hyperion Bay and Franklin & Bash than I did, because I just do not remember MPG as being all that great an actor in the stuff I've seen him in. Is it the beard?

Seriously, is it the beard. Like if he gets a shave, will his powers all disappear?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, DaBigDave said:

Mark-Paul Gosselaar is elevating this show from deeply frustrating to Not Good, but Worth Watching, and kind of Frustrating.

Do we need to check in with somebody who watched a lot more Hyperion Bay and Franklin & Bash than I did, because I just do not remember MPG as being all that great an actor in the stuff I've seen him in. Is it the beard?

Seriously, is it the beard. Like if he gets a shave, will his powers all disappear?

I liked him in Franklin & Bash though really disliked the final season of that show. F&B was more comedy than drama though

• Love 1

I remember the actor that plays Noah, he was in Extant! 

I remembered him from One Tree Hill. Chris Keller's work here is done!

This show is really good it's my favorite out of all  the new network shows this year. 

I love Ginny and Mike as just friends or as something more. They have amazing chemistry.  

I don't like how Shady they're making Will.  Having him be impulsive and naive would be fine but I don't want he and Ginny's relationship to take a hit if he ends up being a liar.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, attica said:

I was quite literally screaming NOOOOOOO at my tv during the beard-nuzzling. I don't care how hot their chem is (....and yeah, it's hot), I do not approve this plotline.

I don't either. It just enforces the idea that men and women can't be friends and work colleagues.

I liked the "will Mike leave?" plot better than any other plot this season. He's just a richer character than Ginny.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I liked the "will Mike leave?" plot better than any other plot this season. He's just a richer character than Ginny.

Agreed. I would have been happy to see the entire series move to Chicago with Mike. I also preferred his flashbacks, so it can't just be the beard or the actor. Ginny shines best around him because her best character trait is that she's a baseball geek and obsessed with the game, just like he is. The problem with her character is that she's too new, too rookie. I thought the whole thing with the camera man was awesome but it just didn't fit her on-show experience. It's something she'd learn from a pro, not give to an end-of-career guy as a rookie.

• Love 1

The will Mike go plot was boring and pointless with nothing actually at stake. I hate when shows do episodes focused on the main lead leaving or getting killed off because you know there's no chance in hell it will actually happen

• Love 2

I liked Ginny with tech dude! He was funny and knew how to get her to laugh and the right way to woo her and he's out of baseball and just soooooo much better than Lawson. But nooooo, we've got to force this thing with Lawson. Stop it, show! Let them be mentor/mentee and friends.

Which is a shame, because I loved the rest of the episode. For once they let the Jays win on the scroll! Against Cleveland, no less. I liked seeing Evelyn being a businessperson. I hope we see more of that side of her. Blip's handling of the whole thing was great. I've come to really love Oscar and he got to do some great stuff in this one. Nice seeing Sarah Shahi again. Amelia taking Elliot's advice!  Al being his usual awesome self and Buck supporting him. There was a wealth of lovely scenes which is all I need to make me happy.

We all knew Mike wasn't getting traded but honestly, I don't care. I remember when all the rumours were floating around about trading Roy Halladay (also long-time member of one team who wanted a ring) and the way they played it here was very true to life and I was happy to see it. Plus, it coming down to money and wanting to season young talent also made a lot of sense to me, so bravo for finding a legit way to wiggle out. 

Edited by marina to
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I don't either. It just enforces the idea that men and women can't be friends and work colleagues.

But, does this enforce the idea that women and men can't be friends and work colleagues. Sure, if you're simply talking about main characters who are male and female, but Ginny is close and/or friends with her other colleagues and there is nothing romantic going on there, especially from her part. Ginny has a few male friends/colleague, but since they aren't featured as much, we treat Mike as if he's her only male friend and he's not. 

There is also the fact that many people marry someone they are friends/acquaintances with--this is not uncommon. Hell, there are many people who marry colleagues. There are even some where that overlaps. It's odd to me that sometimes viewers forget that this phenomenon is not a work of fiction, but something that happens in real life as well. Men and women can be friends and work colleagues, but we need to stop being selective about what counts and what doesn't count if it doesn't fit a certain narrative. 

You have Stabler and Benson from SVU who were friends and colleagues, Watson and Holmes from Elementary, Will and Diane from the Good Wife,  and many others. There are quite a few platonic men/women relationships where they work together that people overlook constantly as they focus on a romantic pairing that went form friends to lovers, and then say it enforces the idea that men and women can't be friends. 

I enjoy both Mike and Ginny, but how is he a richer character? Ginny is deeply fascinating and incredibly layered. 

• Love 22

I liked this episode a lot. One thing that really stood out to me is how much confidence Ginny has gained and how she shines. The stuff in this episode, from strutting into the clubhouse to find out who nailed her cleats, to ragging on Mike during BP,  to getting the camera man's attention so that Mike could have a moment, just proved how comfortable she's become and it was cool to see. She's found her place. 

If anything, MPG has made me care about Mike Lawson as if he's a real ballplayer. I was yelling a lot, about all the things. Knowing he might be playing his last game, the possibility to have that huge moment, still getting the love from the fans. Even if it was unlikely he was actually going to be traded in this fictional world, I thought the show did a good job of ramping up the tension. Mike didn't really know how to handle it. But it's an awkward situation. 

Ginny had great chemistry with Noah. Ginny also has great chemistry with Mike. i wanted them to kiss as much as I didn't. This coming last episode is going to be interesting.  I wish this show was going to hang around, I'm not ready for it to go away. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Nanrad said:

I enjoy both Mike and Ginny, but how is he a richer character? Ginny is deeply fascinating and incredibly layered. 

I agree.  There's a wonderful lived in quality to Mike that I really like watching and MPG gives him a certain gravitas but they're doing a pretty decent job showcasing all the perils that face not only a female trailblazer but a rookie player.  And not ignoring her psychology in the meantime.

3 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

If anything, MPG has made me care about Mike Lawson as if he's a real ballplayer. I was yelling a lot, about all the things. Knowing he might be playing his last game, the possibility to have that huge moment, still getting the love from the fans. Even if it was unlikely he was actually going to be traded in this fictional world, I thought the show did a good job of ramping up the tension. Mike didn't really know how to handle it. But it's an awkward situation. 

That's why I liked the trade storyline.  Sure, we knew Mike wouldn't be traded but if the journey is handled well, I don't care if I know the outcome in advance. I liked watching the backroom dealing, the pure business desire to go young, Mike struggling between team vs. ring, the uncertainty in the locker room, the crowd's reaction and the hint of what life would be like not being a Padre.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Snarkette said:

The problem with her character is that she's too new, too rookie. 

This. I don't know if it is because of Mike's struggles the last 2 episodes and him choosing to confide in Blip over Ginny, but she's come across as really young, really naive. I wasn't into the age difference initially and I mostly ship them because MPG sells it (Kylie hasn't shawn anything till the near-kiss), but I did wonder in the last episode what he saw in her. She came across as a lot more mature in the first 2 episodes for sure. 

8 hours ago, In2You said:

The will Mike go plot was boring and pointless with nothing actually at stake. I hate when shows do episodes focused on the main lead leaving or getting killed off because you know there's no chance in hell it will actually happen

I agree, but I was convinced he would go, as it felt like he could go, get injured and then come back as a coach or something. Or just go to get his ring as the season was over and they could do a time jump. So it had stakes for me. I'm still now sure what happened to make the trade fall through. 

7 hours ago, marina to said:

I liked Ginny with tech dude! He was funny and knew how to get her to laugh and the right way to woo her and he's out of baseball and just soooooo much better than Lawson. But nooooo, we've got to force this thing with Lawson. Stop it, show! Let them be mentor/mentee and friends.

Yeah, I like the tech guy too. I know there's a lot of drama if it's MPG, a lot of beats with him being a fellow player, a mentor, experiences, wounded etc. and it will be very deep and angsty. But all of a sudden I am feeling tired of the drama. (Don't know where that came from). 

The chemistry, though, is there. It is there in spades. *sigh*

• Love 2
  7 hours ago, Nanrad said:

I agree.  There's a wonderful lived in quality to Mike that I really like watching and MPG gives him a certain gravitas but they're doing a pretty decent job showcasing all the perils that face not only a female trailblazer but a rookie player.  And not ignoring her psychology in the meantime.

5 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

That's why I liked the trade storyline.  Sure, we knew Mike wouldn't be traded but if the journey is handled well, I don't care if I know the outcome in advance. I liked watching the backroom dealing, the pure business desire to go young, Mike struggling between team vs. ring, the uncertainty in the locker room, the crowd's reaction and the hint of what life would be like not being a Padre.

Other than the "making it through wavers" part, that never came up .., because no way could this show possibly handle the Waver Claims portion of August baseball trades.

Well, the show crossed a line it can not re-draw.  What a shame.  SO unnecessary.

I will admit the conversation in metaphors at the bar was really good.  Had it ended with that, it would have been fantastic.   But, no.  

Livan would have been fined for that bonehead play.  In fact, it was a particularly horrid move.  Mike well outlined why.  That rookie would be hated in the clubhouse.  I really did not appreciate that the announcers failed to make it clear just how wrong Livan was.  Dick Enberg is a much better broadcaster than that.

The other problem I had was how Ginny runs hot and cold in her knowledge of how the game is played outside the lines.  She already had been through some minor hazing.  Why would she have come into the lair demanding the culprit fess up?  She would know better.  That info would leak out in time.  But then, that would be the end of it.  She is in no position to retaliate!  

On the other hand, she was sage and savvy enough to get Mike to put on the helmet, forcing Skip's hand.  She was also extremely well versed in the history of franchise players at the tail end of their careers.  This seemed real, to me.  She would know that stuff, especially if she made a point to learn it!  

I'll miss the show.  They did go to significant lengths to make it legit.  I just wish they hadn't gone all TV with the Minnie ship.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3

The Ginny / Mike ship, in particular, is one that doesn't do all that much for me. But I guess I don't feel the need to fight over shipping on shows anymore. The getting together portion of TV Romance is often not a thing I'm into - established couple Coach Taylor & Mrs. Coach on Friday Night Lights were as interesting to me as as any will they/wont they ... but I recognize it's just a part of the form. A lot of shows will pair the leads and that's what this show is doing.

I'm just bummed at the stories they aren't telling. Ginny would certainly spend a lot of time with the team's main catcher - but Pitchers especially spend time with other pitchers. Beat writers in baseball towns can always file pieces on a slow day with tales of pitching staff weirdness. I know this isn't an ensemble show but I don't think we know the names of any of the pitchers on this team other than Tommy, who they traded. I'll just assume they're off golfing somewhere.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2016 at 10:14 PM, SimoneS said:

Okay, I concede, Ginny and Mike have great chemistry that moment at the end was pretty hot. However, it does not make up for an episode that lacked suspense since it was obvious that they were not going to trade Mike. 

As I read comments from previous episodes about a smoldering attraction between them I wondered if I was watching the same show.  Their playful banter seemed more sibling like to me, I never saw any sexual attraction... until the end of this episode.  Wow.  I think both of them nailed the emotions-- curiosity, lust, and a big ol' helping of fear.  Ginny especially was like "wait, what?"  Whew.  Saved by a timely phone call.

• Love 6

The writers have been dealing with the Mike/Ginny attraction is a subtle way, but Mike's feelings from the viewer and Blip's (lol) perspective weren't exactly subtle. You could probably debate Ginny's feelings for Mike, but it's quite clear that Mike has had something for Ginny since the third game, which led to his hook up with Amelia. At the end of the second episode while they're in the club, he starts looking at Ginny while she's dancing and is obviously discomforted by wherever his thoughts led so he immediately flees, which leads him to encountering Amelia. After he tells his ex wife he's tired of not having someone to speak to at night, an episode or two later, he calls Ginny rather than Amelia late at night just to talk. There's another episode where Ginny tells him to call her if he changes his mind/just wants to talk and it's obvious he wants to call her to talk about his dad and shit, but decides against it because he's feeling pretty low on himself. You also have the 'Wear It' episode and Mike's behavior when hearing about Ginny. Then, episode 8 with his rant to Omar about how Omar didn't have feelings as well as Blip's reaction to the rant. So, the Mike/Ginny thing has been driven more so from Mike's perspective, but it's not one sided.

When Trevor, her ex, says something about how even the most famous woman in the world needs a golf partner, Ginny invites Mike out to golf. I don't think this is necessarily romantic per se, but she clearly wants to know him in a personal capacity as well. Her face after walking away from Amelia when her agent revealed that she and Mike were involved. It seemed to read more heartbreak at THAT moment, although she felt a professional betrayal that really drove her anger. Her lingering gaze when Mike brushed off dinner at the Sanders, and then invitation to call her if he changed his mind/wants to talk. The reason Ginny's feelings were very subtle is because 1. she is under the microscope 24/7 2. after Mike criticized her for saying that she was a huge fan, she's trying to play it low-key. 3. she's worked so hard to get where she is and has to control whatever feelings she does have for someone she like, especially if she works with them.

Ginny has a lot to lose by entertaining being involved with another ball player, especially on her team. So, with her, it's about the little things she does that, in others opinions, showed that she had feelings for him as well.

• Love 11

Beat writers in baseball towns can always file pieces on a slow day with tales of pitching staff weirdness.

The Linklater movie from this summer, Everybody Wants Some!!, had some hilarious scenes about the weirdness of pitchers and the way the other players react to them. They could be mining a lot more of this kind of material to use in Pitch. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

She is friends and/or colleagues with an entire baseball organization full of men. So 25 now, plus 25 from the minors, not to mention colleagues from the management side, so maybe 60 men she's had a working, and also possibly friendly, relationship with just in this baseball season. Frankly, I think it would seem weird for her, a heterosexual female, to NOT have more than friendly feelings for at least ONE along the way.

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

She is friends and/or colleagues with an entire baseball organization full of men. So 25 now, plus 25 from the minors, not to mention colleagues from the management side, so maybe 60 men she's had a working, and also possibly friendly, relationship with just in this baseball season. Frankly, I think it would seem weird for her, a heterosexual female, to NOT have more than friendly feelings for at least ONE along the way.

RIGHT?!?!?

She is literally the only woman at her job--she has quite a few male friends at work. Of those 60 odd people, she has feelings for one of them and this proves men and women can't be friends and colleagues. How??? It's unrealistic to expect Ginny to just have platonic feelings for every male co-work/colleague she has. 

• Love 10

But he is the team captain and her mentor. To me that makes a huge difference. Not to mention the age difference.  I wouldn't have the same opinion if she had a relationship with one of her peers (that one guy with the crush for example), but he's not a peer.

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

But he is the team captain and her mentor. To me that makes a huge difference. Not to mention the age difference.  I wouldn't have the same opinion if she had a relationship with one of her peers (that one guy with the crush for example), but he's not a peer.

You can't control who you develop feelings for.

• Love 4

Whew, lordy, that was hot. 

While I think it's probably better for them as characters and the show as a whole for Mike and Ginny to not go there (yet anyway), I'm going to be hella bitter about that almost kiss if this show gets cancelled next week. 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Writers can.

My objection is not that this is somehow a shark jumping.  It's entirely plausible.  

IMO, it makes more sense for the writers to put two characters that the viewers are invested in together than to put Ginny with one o the other players that have barely made an impact in nine episodes of the show. The only thing that I don't like about this is that they shoe-horned Ginny liking Mike when she was a kid into it. Other than that, I think it's a totally natural progression that she would fall for one of the first people who accepted her, who has helped through a  big moment and who sees her for who she really is and not just what she represents.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Writers can.

Sure, but most of the discussion was about how this show reenforcing the trope that men and women can't be friends and colleagues. So, we're pointing out that not only does Ginny has many male friends with her colleagues, it's unrealistic for her to not have a thing for at least one of them.

24 minutes ago, rippleintime17 said:

The only thing that I don't like about this is that they shoe-horned Ginny liking Mike when she was a kid into it. Other than that, I think it's a totally natural progression that she would fall for one of the first people who accepted her, who has helped through a  big moment and who sees her for who she really is and not just what she represents.

TBH, I think her having a teen girl crush is believable--Mike in that poster with a little bit of scruff is hawt (current mike too, but that's neither here nor there), she's a young, growing girl discovering her feelings and shit. lol. And Mike is charming as hell when he wants to be. lol

3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

This is another thing that, while it makes sense, isn't what the initial criticism was about UNLESS this is an entirely new and different criticism. In that case, like yeah, this situation is messy as fuck, but sometimes people with different power dynamics develop feelings for one another. Mike knows that his feelings are inappropriate, but they won't go away (so he tries everything he can to push them away and keep it professional) and Ginny's just trying got focus on baseball. You can't always help who you're attracted to.

• Love 3

I'm on the boat of wanting Ginny and Mike as friends, but that last scene was hot. MPG has chemistry with everyone (watch him in 12 Dates of Christmas). I do like her better with Noah- he was sweet and wouldn't complicate things. Too bad this show is likely to be cancelled so we don't see what happens next season. I can't believe next week is the season finale!

Mark Consuelos's character really grew on me. Same with Amelia. Too bad they made Will shady because he seems like a good brother to Ginny. I also still love the relationship between Blip and Evelyn- it's nice to see a non-toxic marriage being depicted on TV. I will miss all of these characters.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, DaBigDave said:

Other than the "making it through wavers" part, that never came up .., because no way could this show possibly handle the Waver Claims portion of August baseball trades.

Yeah, but wouldn't Mike be prime waiver-trade bait?  The part where Mike gets to pick the Cubs is the inaccurate part, correct?

The show hasn't been cancelled has it? 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, JZL said:

Yeah, but wouldn't Mike be prime waiver-trade bait?  The part where Mike gets to pick the Cubs is the inaccurate part, correct?

The show hasn't been cancelled has it? 

Up in the air. :'(

• Love 1
6 hours ago, twoods said:

Too bad they made Will shady because he seems like a good brother to Ginny.

This made me so sad. I was screaming, "Nooooooooo don't make Will shady!" over and over at the TV. But I guess I appreciate the realism that some family members will jump right into using the rich family member as a cash cow/bank.

• Love 4
On 12/2/2016 at 10:33 AM, mspaul said:

Yeah, I'm not sure when this episode was written, but Theo would NEVER go for a trade like this, especially this past year.  The very last thing the Cubs needed this year was another catcher (except maybe another outfielder), and they would never give up two great pitching prospects for a short term player that they didn't really need.  Usually I don't get too caught up in the baseball details of this show, since I really like the story, but as a huge Cubs fan this really pulled me out of the story and made me all ranty at the TV.

Same.  Also rolled my eyes at the GMs office with the view of Wrigley.  I know they have to show that they're in Chicago, but still...

Though I did like that the GM was named "Ted".

12 hours ago, JZL said:

Even though he made it through waivers, he still had a no-trade clause in his contract.  He agreed to waive it if they did a deal with the Cubs, but if they did a deal with a team he didn't want to go to, he could invoke the no-trade and stop the deal.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Nanrad said:

Up in the air. :'(

Yeah, I see it's not doing so great in the 18-49 demo but it's overall viewership isn't too bad.  I wonder if it isn't catching on with females in that demo as well as they expected.  My stepdaughter is in her early 30's and is into sports and loves baseball, but she hasn't been watching.  My wife is about my age and also loves baseball, but she only recently binge-watched most of the season on DVR, and was sort of lukewarm about it.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/pitch-season-one-ratings/

50 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Even though he made it through waivers, he still had a no-trade clause in his contract.  He agreed to waive it if they did a deal with the Cubs, but if they did a deal with a team he didn't want to go to, he could invoke the no-trade and stop the deal.

Duh, I spaced the no-trade clause.  Danka. 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2