Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't know if anyone else will be interested in chatting but I'll be watching both CBS and NBC. The Broadway lineup isn't too exciting this year but I'm awake and I've gotten in the habit of watching the parade for the last few years. 

• Love 1

I'm having a bit of a pout that Hamilton's not here, but Christopher Jackson (original George Washington) is performing with the Muppets, so hopefully I like it. I also saw at the beginning of the Macy's parade that the "Charlie Brown chasing the football balloon" is back, which I'm thrilled about since I can't stand Snoopy.

I didn't expect Hamilton or even one of the spring shows but a lot of the new fall shows aren't represented in the announcement. No Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812. No A Bronx Tale. No In Transit. I'm not counting out a surprise but I think it's doubtful. Wouldn't you want to announce ahead of time to get people to watch your performance?

I've never liked Cats, so ugh. I liked the Cirque de Soleil Paramour number. I didn't even know they were doing a musical like that.

I would have been all in for Hairspray since Harvey Fierstein is reprising his role, but I can't stand Jennifer Hudson, so I'll have to pass on that.

I like the Holiday Inn number. I only saw the show once but I think they cut the songs short and did kind of a mashup of two numbers. They also threw in Corbin Bleu even though he's not in that number. But to me, they got across the important parts which is that there are going to be classic standards and a lot of dancing. In the show, they really build up to the jump rope tap dancing. It's pretty impressive. I think they changed up the choreography a little but again, I think it represented the show pretty well all things considered.

• Love 1

YUP, that was Cats alright. Maybe because it's 80's but I got a grunge-y vibe from the old Cats. This just seemed like adults in bodysuits/pajamas and really polished makeup. Like a cross between drag makeup and body paint. Like too perfect and obviously fake. I'll give the Grizabella credit for trying to act but I will probably never sit through this show. 

If I didn't know that Paramour had garbage songs and no story, I might want to see it based on that performance. It was the equivalent of the Rockettes.

Hairspray was a decent showing. When Derek disappeared I was sad because I remembered he's Corny and not Link. The Link made no impression on me. The unknown they found looked really cute in her outfit. That's all I got from her. I feel like we were getting pop star Ariana Grande and not actress Ariana Grande so I hope that comes together by the time they film for real. Harvey Fierstein in that fabulous red dress made me really happy. Jennifer Hudson still cannot act. I just saw her in The Color Purple... she wasn't great but she was better than that. Also, did she contour her chest? Her breasts were already pushed up really high. They did not need any contouring. Other than that, the camera work made me feel kind of drunk and dizzy so I hope that's not what they're going for. It's that video quality that's almost too real, especially when it's moving quickly. 

• Love 1

There needs to be a "Minimum BPM" requirement for all musical performances. There's been way too many slow, acoustic songs being sung by no-name artists. That ukelele song about not knowing your name had no place in the parade.

• Love 1

On Your Feet! did pretty well. If I wanted to see a Vegas-y Gloria Estefan tribute, I'd probably go see it. But I don't have a strong connection to her music. 

Sting's number was so bland. Is that a new song or an old song? The drummer couldn't have looked less interested. 

I don't think the new guy in School of Rock comes across as charming as Alex Brightman. I wonder how that show plays now. The guys seem really talented. I still don't want to see it though.

Miranda Lambert. Some effort, please. It's not even a bad song.

GOD, I WANT TO SEE THE COLOR PURPLE AGAIN.

I was tempted to put this in the Pet Peeves or Unpopular Opinions but since you all have provided an actual thread: WHY can't we see the floats and marching instead of all these frothy 'interviews' with TV stars and Al Roker and all these songs? When I watch a parade, I want to see it MOVE! And I can see Al Roker and the Today Show, five days a week but the Macy's parade only comes once a year. Oh, and I'm not happy that the ACTUAL parade coverage has now been put on Verizon while those of us living in the Stone Age  just get tiny glimpses of floats on NBC.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I was tempted to put this in the Pet Peeves or Unpopular Opinions but since you all have provided an actual thread: WHY can't we see the floats and marching instead of all these frothy 'interviews' with TV stars and Al Roker and all these songs? When I watch a parade, I want to see it MOVE! And I can see Al Roker and the Today Show, five days a week but the Macy's parade only comes once a year. Oh, and I'm not happy that the ACTUAL parade coverage has now been put on Verizon while those of us living in the Stone Age  just get tiny glimpses of floats on NBC.

I’m with you; the way NBC does it, the whole ‘parade’ is just a giant promo for NBC shows and NYC productions.  Hell, Matt and Savannah were reading advertising blurbs for the sponsors rather than talking about the actual floats.  That is NOT a parade!

• Love 8

Every year I tune in and every year I get mad.  I love the musical numbers, no issues there, but I watch the parade to SEE the parade.  They should take a lesson from the Rose Bowl parade, where they actually talk about the floats as they go by and stop talking altogether so we can hear the bands.

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 9

I don't mind the interviews so much but the advertising masked as commentary feels more intrusive every year. I remember when there was an Underdog balloon because yay, Underdog, not "this balloon is brought to you by some subsidiary of a huge scary company". 

I loved seeing Chrissy Metz from This Is Us in the opening number because she's always so miserable as Kate on the show and she looked so happy singing here. I just don't understand what Whoopi Goldberg was doing there since her show is on ABC and they had to abruptly change the whole key of the song just to be in her limited "singing" range.

Lea Michele has always bugged me, so this is just par for the course with her (for me). I feel like she is always “on” and I’ve never enjoyed her in anything (I did not like Glee at all).   I think her new ABC Christmas movie looks cute, but I don’t know if I can get over my irrational dislike of her.

All these people are going to be so tired after this parade, that wind looks BRUTAL today.  

• Love 2

I'm glad they were able to fly the balloons after all, even if they had to keep them low to the ground.

Did anyone else go to watch them blow up the balloons? I usually do, but I didn't last night because it was supposed to rain. . . and then it didn't. AARGH. That's the second of my traditional holiday events that I've missed out on because of incorrectly forecasted bad weather.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2

Last year, Diana Ross was on a float with her family, lip-synching a Christmas song, and I'm pretty sure she didn't bother to have a microphone at all!  She also didn't move her mouth for large portions of the song because her hair kept blowing into her face.  I found it all pretty entertaining.

• LOL 2

To start:

Roots? Fine. 

Fallon?  Cringe. 

Edit - Hoda?  Double cringe. 

Edit 2 - OK, Hamilton on the street out in FRONT of a theater (where it otherwise might be playing) is more like it. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

This whole thing, sadly, is even worse than I'd feared. 

I mean they traditionally demand lip synced performances due to crowd noise. Guess what?  There's no crowd noise this year. But it's darn clear that the only live singing are the pre-taped remotes (so they were live at the time, I guess).  The performances on the floats are as bad as usual... and didn't have to be. Frankly the commercials have been more entertaining than the main production. They've seeded in the first of the holiday themed commercials of the year, and some of them have actually been good. 

Frankly I'm looking forward to the Dog Show. At least there's only so much that can be lamed by circumstance. 

look, this has always been 3 hour commercial for nbc personalities and shows, and float sponsors — on in the background as house gets dusted and the meal prepared. however lacking the performances, i live alone, and am grateful for some semblance of familiarity as i await my zoom dinner.

eta: find myself underwhelmed after watching the first few minutes of the dog show.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 1

I'm watching now, and it's okay?  I guess?  I am skipping a lot of the songs-on-floats, but that's normal for me.  I am enjoying the performances, but I miss the marching bands.  Love the FDNY bagpipes and drums, though!

Fallon being hyper normally gets on my nerves, but I was impressed with his athleticism.  Didn't know he could do somersaults like that!  I enjoyed him and The Roots.  I didn't mind the other acts but I don't need to see the Hamilton crew or Pentatonix anymore.   

5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Fallon being hyper normally gets on my nerves, but I was impressed with his athleticism.  Didn't know he could do somersaults like that!  I enjoyed him and The Roots.  I didn't mind the other acts but I don't need to see the Hamilton crew or Pentatonix anymore.   

I thought that looked like a stunt double, but I dunno. I think it started and ended off screen (but could have missed it..)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Really liked they had slots for the parades that didn't get to perform this past year. Also liked they mixed the Broadway numbers between the floats, instead of running it all in the first hour when the parade is in fact not being shown. 61 degrees? We used to go when I was little, it was usually 30 and everyone froze their butts off. This is also the most covered up I have ever seen the Rockettes.

• Love 2

I’ve always loved watching the parade and used to delay leaving my house to go to family dinners until after the parade ended.  This year it completely bored me and I turned it off halfway through (even though I stayed home).  I’m blaming it on the curse of 2020. 

Edited by Koalagirl
  • Love 2

Just be glad you didn't have to watch it via the Verizon live stream as I had to (due to my lack of cable). That was truly awful. I only got to hear one live performance (the rest, including the marching bands, were muted and standard Christmas music was played instead), and they didn't show the Rockettes. Oh, and worst of all, ROSS THE INTERN was their parade commentator, and yes, he's still annoying after all these years!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Just be glad you didn't have to watch it via the Verizon live stream as I had to (due to my lack of cable). That was truly awful. I only got to hear one live performance (the rest, including the marching bands, were muted and standard Christmas music was played instead), and they didn't show the Rockettes. Oh, and worst of all, ROSS THE INTERN was their parade commentator, and yes, he's still annoying after all these years!

I'm hoping he at least uses a different name now.  An intern in his 40s would be pretty sad.

• LOL 2

I love me some Broadway, but those entries didn't really appeal much.   It struck me that the ladies in black waving their rear-ends around weren't really the best choice for the kiddy viewers who tuned in for the balloons!  But, not my call.   It's good seeing Harry Connick Jr again, though.  

• Love 1