Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Broadcast from the Vatican

http://www.vulture.com/2017/02/hbo-young-pope-unexpected-victory-for-the-network.html

In terms of ratings, Young Pope hardly qualifies as a blockbuster, but it was far from a bomb: The network estimates each episode has been seen by an average of 4.7 million viewers across the network’s various linear and digital platforms. That’s a fraction of the audience the network’s fall hit Westworld pulled in season one (11.7 million) and below the buzzworthy summer mini-series The Night Of (7 million). But it does puts Pope on par with an HBO comedy staple such as Veep and ahead of the far more heavily hyped — and ultimately unsuccessful — Vinyl (4.3 million).

...But the limited financial (and even emotional) commitment the network made to Young Pope means HBO didn’t risk a whole lot to put the show on the air in the U.S. Given the solid ratings and reviews, HBO’s investment seems to have more than paid off. While this doesn’t guarantee there’ll be a second season of The Young Pope— Sorrentino has indicated he’s eager to do more episodes — it does mean a sophomore outing wouldn’t be at all surprising.

• Love 2

There are some scenes that Law did that still kick me in the stomach (in a good way) months later. Maybe the Golden Globes and the foreign press will remember him. I hope so! 

So much of this is politics. HBO didn't think this show had much of a chance when they ran it, that's why they burned off two episodes a week. And their PR people may have had some "favorites" depending on how much HBO had invested in each show (iirc The Young Pope was a multi-network project with investments from Italian and French networks - so HBO's skin in the game was less than for, say, Westworld.)

• Love 3
On 7/4/2018 at 6:38 PM, Mumbles said:

Exciting news, contrary to earlier reports, Jude Law *is* coming back for the next season...which will also involve John Malkovich!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/new-pope-john-malkovich-jude-law-star-hbos-young-pope-follow-up-1124373

YES YES YES.

Pope Jude was one of the hottest things I've ever seen on my TV screen. He's never been more beautiful than in this role. 

• Love 3

He thought so too: the never-better part. He recommended the show to a colleague of mine who'd produced him onstage decades ago, then added shyly, "I think I'm rather good."

• Love 2
On 8/29/2018 at 1:43 PM, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

YES YES YES.

Pope Jude was one of the hottest things I've ever seen on my TV screen. He's never been more beautiful than in this role. 

On 8/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, cpcathy said:

I've seen Jude in plenty of things before, but he's never been better, or more handsome, than in Young Pope.

Yes, for as handsome as he is this is the role that truly lets him shine.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2018 at 1:12 PM, cpcathy said:

I've seen Jude in plenty of things before, but he's never been better, or more handsome, than in Young Pope.

Jude Law's make-up, spray tan, and hair(piece) people were also at their best for this series. He's a very handsome man, but the people who did him up for the cameras and the wardrobe department on The Young Pope made him a work of art. 

• Love 1