Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Episode 10

Ugh, I'm certainly not going to watch a second season. I'm regretting having even put so much time into watching the first one.

All the while I was holding out hope, that the pope's behaviour was part of some master plan, but nope turns out he is just an extremely regressive asshole. Now, I can certainly live with assholes as the main character. I loved breaking bad all the way through and everything there is of house of cards so far I at least liked. But this means that there is absolutely no substance behind this show. We are watching an asshole who has no other goal than turning the clock for the catholic church and Italy back to the dark ages and what's worse he doesn't even have worthy opponents. What made house of cards so good was that Frank Underwood had to struggle. This pope just waltzes on through. The advesaries he does have could have kicked him out multiple times, but every time at the last moment decided "nah, I let's not... for... reasons!". Those reasons of course being bad plot contrivances.

The pope is imo also severly lacking in charisma and he isn't that much to look at, despite the fact that he continously tells us how handsome he is. I guess the writers didn't really believe it themselves, which is why they had to bash us over the head with it over and over again. The lack of charisma obviously being the bigger problem, because that can make an asshole-character watchable.

That the pope is apperently magic doesn't intrigue me much either. He better start flying or something for me to give a shit. Same goes for his change of mind during the last episode, as that doesn't change the underlying problems. it doesn't even redeem the character. It's too little too late, after he has ruined so many people's lifes. The ones we've seen are only the tip of the iceberg.

The dream sequence at the beginning of episode one can probably be summed up as the writers thinking they were clever in faking us out with a progessive pope and then going the complete different direction and laughing really hard at how clever they were. But if we take it as a normal part of the show, it makes the character even less likeable. As it shows that he knows what's right and unconciously even wants to say it. But in reality he is too much of a coward to admit it, even to himself and so he overcompensates hard in the other direction. Kinda like those hardcore anti-gay republicans who eventually all get caught having sex with men.

Speaking of all the people hurt, it's curious that the only people who die of unnatural causes (suicide, murder and murder by prayer) are homosexual or bi and that they outnumber straight people in the death department 3:1, oh and that one of them was eeevil. Because... reasons! At least mother theresa had a good reason for her evil deads. She thought they would bring her and the people she left to suffer closer to god. This sister here, I don't see it.

Usually the accusations towards shows regarding alleged homophobic content annoy me and I think they are overblown, but here I have a hard time explaining all of this away.

The only thing that holds this show slightly above water is the acting, which is amazing. How they got all these great actors with such awfull scripts will forever be a mistery to me. A TV show can't have enough budget so that the actors would do it solely for the paycheck...

• Love 2

There were several things about this episode I found delightful. Tongue-poking being #1 and the lighter stuff was a welcome relief from the heaviness of Kurtwell. What a terrific manipulator, to use his own story as justification for his crimes, while still carrying his own anger around.

My imagination, or were there only three socks being hung on the line? Even at the Vatican, they go missing.

Loved the hallucination with all the past popes.

The homily/whatever about Blessed Juana bored me, but I'm not sure if the words even mattered, as much as Lenny showing himself capable of bending.

Still have no idea what to think about the Tonino Pettola business, but I guess that's the big mystery we're being left with.

I'm not bothered that YP doesn't seem to be a show that goes anywhere, especially for those who look for more action-oriented and exposition TV. It's refreshing that we've been giving something to wonder over, visually, and be left with all manner of questions that you have to go off to your own corner and think about.

• Love 11

Most of the time, I had no idea what was happening, but that doesn't mean I didn't really enjoy the show.

This wasn't a show for me with a defined plotline moving towards a resolution of that plotline. It was like watching someone's personal journey. I'm not even sure Kurtwell existed at this point or if he was an imagined bogeyman in Lenny's psyche. And I really don't care either way.

It was all very beautiful and I loved all of the music.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Still have no idea what to think about the Tonino Pettola business, but I guess that's the big mystery we're being left with.

Yeah that was a big let-down  Maybe the show-runners are trying to make a point about some "mysteries" always remaining unknowable in the same way that religious mysteries can never be truly understood?  Meh.  Whatever.

Okay I had two moments of strong reaction to this episode.  The first was when the Lenny asked the gay, Spanish priest -- the one that took down Kirkwell -- If he believed in God.  The actor's reaction was just perfect.  I laughed.

The second was when Lenny -- after delivering a ridiculous, meaningless speech (that nevertheless caused the crowd to cheer with joy) -- clutched his chest, collapsed and looked up to see Jesus in the clouds.  I said "Oh for fuck's sake" out loud and laughed again.

What the hell WAS that?  It was gorgeous but just bizarre.  What a strange show.  I don't know who at HBO green-lit this one but given all the money that was spent and what I suspect are REALLY low ratings (just judging from the lack of commentary here) I'm betting somebody's in trouble now.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

meaningless speech (that nevertheless caused the crowd to cheer with joy) -- clutched his chest, collapsed and looked up to see Jesus in the clouds.  I said "Oh for fuck's sake" out loud and laughed again.

It was hard to tell if that was Jesus or a Madonna, it went so fast. But it was a fun nod on a night that had many of them.

I think a LOT of people who are watching are afraid to comment just yet, it's a really confounding show. And, thankfully, I have a suspicion that many TV critics and bloggers fear wading into these waters without their thigh boots on.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

What the hell WAS that?  It was gorgeous but just bizarre.  What a strange show.  I don't know who at HBO green-lit this one but given all the money that was spent and what I suspect are REALLY low ratings (just judging from the lack of commentary here) I'm betting somebody's in trouble now.

I watched every episode at the same time they aired, but only commented now that the season is over. I didn't want to have people analyze it to death. I watched that first episode and thought, "Wow, that was so bizarre" and just left it. I know many people who watched it. We all just said, "The Young Pope? Yeah...that's ...something" and nodded. It wasn't a show I felt like analyzing or predicting what would happen next. Not at all.

I came looking here because I'm pondering a re-watch and I'm finally ready to hear other people's thoughts.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I watched every episode at the same time they aired, but only commented now that the season is over. I didn't want to have people analyze it to death. I watched that first episode and thought, "Wow, that was so bizarre" and just left it. I know many people who watched it. We all just said, "The Young Pope? Yeah...that's ...something" and nodded. It wasn't a show I felt like analyzing or predicting what would happen next. Not at all.

I came looking here because I'm pondering a re-watch and I'm finally ready to hear other people's thoughts.

I'm right there with you with the exception that I had the opportunity to binge watch it before it aired in the US. I didn't ever binge watched, I paced myself, at least I did until the second half, and then I binge watched like crazy. It's been a very interesting and puzzling show, I wish I had taken more time to watch it, and again I don't think that would have changed much. It's a rare show that has the same impact as some new type of literature that you're not sure you like at first but soon you cannot put it down. That's how The Young Pope felt for me. At first I liked parts of it, the acting, the filming, the visuals, without being sure if I liked the whole of it or not. Then I got more involved in the story, the characters. And finally it all sort of made sense, in a brilliant way, and I'm now thinking I should rewatch  and would enjoy the journey more. I've only experienced this process with books in the past, but it's very similar here. I think this series is a masterpiece and I'm very curious to see where it goes next.    

• Love 10

I've been watching it because of the visuals, the acting, and yeah Jude Law...going along and wondering wtf is going on, stll not sure exactly...but what does it say when I cried at the end? It was so beautiful and sad....

• Love 10

What is so great is that the Pope has changed in some ways, in many ways he has not - which is realistic in a very unrealistic show. The Pope who snarled at the over-familiar nun in the first episode is gone, but at the same time he can still be a real jerk (making all the kids cry, e.g.). He isn't changing his very conservatively views in its entirety, but he is open to change. (Shame it took his friendship with Gutierrez to realize how wrong his earlier position on gay priests was, but that's how people change in real life too.) And the series which began with the Pope listing all the horrible sins he viewed the world as committing ended with contemplation of love.

The part where Lenny and Sister Mary exchange their final words of the episode - where he asks if he can call her Ma, was like a kick in the stomach despite its warmth. After all those years, that's what he still craves. 

And speaking of love, the Vioello storyline was lovely. Who knew his life would be so full of love? 

I do have a problem with carting off the abusive archbishop off to Alaska. 

I really hope this gets remembered come awards time.

• Love 7
On 2/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, heylady17 said:

I've been watching it because of the visuals, the acting, and yeah Jude Law...going along and wondering wtf is going on, stll not sure exactly...but what does it say when I cried at the end? It was so beautiful and sad....

I cried during this one and the previous two as well.  I wouldn't dream of judging you.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 6

When I first started watching this, I thought it was so weird. Then while waiting for new episodes after about episode 6, I started rewatching episodes as I could because I started finding it fascinating. After the last two episodes, I find the series to be brilliant. I think Jude Law deserves awards for his portrayal of The Young Pope, along with other incredible actors on the show. I do wonder if he is supposed to have died at the end before they knew whether or not there would be a second season. Now I suppose they could have him waking up in a hospital at the beginning of season 2, if in fact there is a season 2, which I think there will be. I certainly hope there will be! I do wish that pedophile priest had a worse punishment than being banned to Alaska. I mean, I get that was supposed to be his punishment, but he's still out there with access to children. I need for Pope Pius to get on his knees at a truck stop and say some prayers for that sick bastard or turn him in to the police. Speaking of that pedophile, I don't believe his second, changed story about being molested, and even if he were telling the truth, I don't give two craps. I need that criminal to die already. Otherwise, I'm very happy with how it all wrapped up and with the changes we saw in the Pope.

• Love 6

I really have no idea what I just watched, or if I liked it, or if I understood it, but...it certainly held my attention. I haven't commented in awhile, mainly because I end every episode just starring at my screen and starring at the screen like a confused puppy, but I'm hoping it gets more attention from critics and bloggers in the future, because I feel like there is something really great in here, somewhere. If nothing else, the acting is wonderful, and the look and music are very unique, in a good way. Its a great show to watch, even when the plots become REALLY weird, and the characters act like colossal assholes who often make little sense.

As a good Catholic girl, I still feel like I need to go to confession for watching this. Or at least throw out a few Hail Mary's.

• Love 7

With this show I found my defenses overwhelmed -- not my judgment but my reflexive, almost forensic reaction in the face of the new. That faculty respectfully shut down and stood aside. My heart stepped up and took it in. I'd love to do a rewatch.

• Love 5

I've been rewatching the series from the beginning and have found it worthwhile. Having been informed now by the entire series, I'm picking up things I didn't notice before. And of course, the beautiful imagery and cinematography doesn't get old.

Like, his beautiful speech in Africa about rejecting war has its origins when he's reviewing gifts he's received and he reads a letter from a kid asking how to believe in God. And a sad smile of self-knowledge when DuSolliers tells Sister Mary how he wants to return to the "filth" of Honduras makes sense knowing exactly what he was up to. 

• Love 4

I finally saw this.  One thing I noticed was that it ended in the Piazzo San Marco in Venice, next to the tower that's in the last picture in the title sequence.  Makes me want to look at the other pictures to see if they are linked to the story.

Voiello is a great character.

• Love 3
On 2/15/2017 at 8:10 AM, tennisgurl said:

I really have no idea what I just watched, or if I liked it, or if I understood it, but...it certainly held my attention. I haven't commented in awhile, mainly because I end every episode just starring at my screen and starring at the screen like a confused puppy, but I'm hoping it gets more attention from critics and bloggers in the future, because I feel like there is something really great in here, somewhere. If nothing else, the acting is wonderful, and the look and music are very unique, in a good way. Its a great show to watch, even when the plots become REALLY weird, and the characters act like colossal assholes who often make little sense.

As a good Catholic girl, I still feel like I need to go to confession for watching this. Or at least throw out a few Hail Mary's.

This is pretty much my reaction.  I'm not even Catholic and I kind of think I might need confession but I don't know why.

This was one of the most unique shows I've watched in a long time.  I thought all the actors were terrific. 

Peculiar show is peculiar.

• Love 4

I love that HBO green lighted this madness.  I am a lazy Catholic but I find the ritual soothing when I do go.  And I personally have found that nuns kick ass and get the job done helping the poor, infirm, and elderly.  

But Ioved this insider look at one man's faith.  Or rarher several men and one woman.  Law was the gravity, holding it all together.  

I adore the Spanish priest.  I can't spell his name.  I loved seeing him grow in confidence until he was able to come out.  

One visual them were all those nuns busily drifting through the Vatican gardens.  Serene, occupied, servile perhaps except when playing soccer.  I always imagined the Vatican as lacking women.  And children.  

I don't know what to make of this show but I feel like it was made with care.  If all plot points aren't effective or even totally clear I don't think it was for a lack of trying.  The writer took on the big questions.  That said, I am good with one season.  

• Love 1

This is not about this episode specifically but about the whole season: I really like how we got to see more about the dynamic of Voiello and the disabled boy in his care. At first it seemed V. took care of the boy, then progressively we got to see that the boy is his confident and how extremely respectful V. is of him and how he needs him. Sentences like, "as you know me so well, it cannot have escaped you that..", all paraphrasing rather than exact quotes, give us a different idea of their relation, with that boy/young man, Voiello is himself and doesn't play games, and it's beautiful. I also got to really like the way the boy character is played, the way he laughs at some of Voiello's comments in the later episodes was very moving.   

• Love 1

What do you think Esther saw on the beach at the end?  That is haunting me.

I absolutely adored this show - it is confusing, peculiar, beautiful, poignant, heartfelt, emotional and simply brilliant.

I cant wait to re-watch to pick up all the things I missed the first time around.

that was aa

14 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

She picked up the photo, then looked around and saw the Pope-copter flying away.

that was the prior episode.

I was referring to the shot of her walking and looking back to the ocean when Lenny was giving his sermon from the Vatican.

• Love 1