Type keyword(s) to search

You Know You're Obsessed With Criminal Minds When...

mstaken
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I met a real life Dr. Spencer Reid today, only slightly less pretty. My daughter's college graduation was today, and the keynote student speaker was a good friend of my son's -- they're both in the honors college and they're both resident assistants in the dorms. Anyway, this kid received a degree in math, and is going to proceed immediately to grad school for yet more math. Highest GPA in the graduating class. Even made two jokes -- one about chemistry and one about existentialism (!) that were both awkward and really funny.

His cute geekiness came out in every word he said. He had asked my son to help him end his speech with a laugh, so they decided he would turn around and take a selfie of himself with the crowd behind him. It's been done, sure, but he was so cute. I asked my son if he is like Spencer Reid, and he said, "He is exactly like Spencer Reid." He told me that one of the kid's senior projects was setting the Fibonacci sequence to music. How is that even possible?

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 5

Just follow the number pattern…. 0 1 1 2 3 5 8 11 …. you can do all kinds of sequencing and repeating with that. reminds me of one of my favorite composers, Steve Reich. I'll just leave this here 

• Love 2
(edited)

You trip and fall while walking out of the library, and though you're a bit bruised and sore, at least you don't jack up your knee like some people. Then again, you're much closer to the ground than Matthew and therefore, make less of an impact; and your girlish curves act as a cushion.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2

Expanding on what you said qwerty, and I'm sure it isn't very original, but when you never can hear The Riddle without thinking of Hotch himself going in and washing Elle's blood off her wall. 

I'm not obsessed yet, but I'm getting there. And can Hotchner be intruding on my instant Matthew boycrush? :P

• Love 5
(edited)

When every song you listen to reminds you of a Criminal Minds character.

So I'm not the only one who does this? Whew, what a relief. I'll watch an episode of CM and instantly go through my internal iPod (aka my brain) and can think of countless songs that relate to a plot, a scene or a character (or all three).

And when I think of Reid, his deep well of empathy and his innate need to be needed and be there for others in their time of turmoil I can't help but think of this song by 10,000 Maniacs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zfYFJVdL6U

ETA: Sorry about not being able to in-bed the actual video.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1

Expanding on what you said qwerty, and I'm sure it isn't very original, but when you never can hear The Riddle without thinking of Hotch himself going in and washing Elle's blood off her wall. 

I'm not obsessed yet, but I'm getting there. And can Hotchner be intruding on my instant Matthew boycrush? :P

If loving Hotch is wrong I don't want to be right. And I've often fantasized about being in the middle of a Reid and Hotch sandwich. Now that would make for some provocative fan fic.

That being said, I think the reason why I love Reid and Hotch so much is because they are composed of the positive qualities of both the masculine (protective) and the feminine (nurture). Hotch scrubbing the blood off of Elle's walls was such a touching moment of Hotch's ability to nurture another human being. His care and concern towards Elle and her healing touched me greatly. He could have easily hired a service to clean the walls (or worse, ignored the mess), but instead he rolled up his sleeves and took on the task himself.

And then there's Reid. He definitely showed his protective side when he got Blake out of the way of a haze of bullets during the Angels/Demons finale of season nine. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Reid's distress over Emily's injuries in Minimal Loss (season four) after she was beat up. Reid so wanted to take on Emily's injuries as his very own. He truly felt her pain at the moment.

• Love 4

you know you're obsessed when continuity becomes a salp in your face and you came back for more every week.

I hate when they show you a character holding or picking up something and the hands doing it don't belong to that actor. 

ok, these are valid points for any show but they are infuriating

• Love 2

What kind of pastries? Now I'm hungry. yes, I'm fat...

Now I'm wondering how many times the team members have been shown eating or drinking. I remember Reid has rice crispies treats, cookies, and lollipops-- but he rejected salad.

• Love 2

Now I'm wondering how many times the team members have been shown eating or drinking. I remember Reid has rice crispies treats, cookies, and lollipops-- but he rejected salad.

Chocolate. With pineapples and cream in the middle. Covered with a stuff that is basically jam, but made out of milk (boiled with sugar for a while) and crowned with chocolate chips. All home made by me. Unfortunately, there are no left overs, since my family resemble the Tasmanian Devil.

And I would reject salad too, unless I prepared it myself.

I don't trust raw vegetables coming from who knows where...

• Love 4

As someone who loves to bake, it truly warms my heart to see Reid enjoying some baked goods. I bet he would love my sugar mint cookies. But then again, who doesn't?

• Love 4

But the dairy was called out as the cause of his taking the pills so I always thought he was lactose intolerant and taking it for that. Lactaid, or maybe even Zantac.

• Love 2

I got the impression that he used the dairy excuse as a cover, but the writers couldn't seem to make up their damn minds.

Jen, its awesome that you like to bake. I actually will not reach in to a hot oven. I am afraid I'll trip and fall and burn myself. So my brother does the cooking and I do the home repair stuff (which he's not any good at).

Earlier this week a friend of mine checked to make sure my car doors were locked when we were getting out and I said "oh, don't worry. I always lock my doors immediately. I watch "Criminal Minds"... and the friend watches the show too. LOL.

• Love 5
(edited)

I got the impression that he used the dairy excuse as a cover, but the writers couldn't seem to make up their damn minds.

Jen, its awesome that you like to bake. I actually will not reach in to a hot oven. I am afraid I'll trip and fall and burn myself. So my brother does the cooking and I do the home repair stuff (which he's not any good at).

Earlier this week a friend of mine checked to make sure my car doors were locked when we were getting out and I said "oh, don't worry. I always lock my doors immediately. I watch "Criminal Minds"... and the friend watches the show too. LOL.

Yep, I do love to bake, and putter around my kitchen. I have friends who are total foodies, and they've inspired me to trust myself more when it comes to honing my culinary skills. I find baking relaxing. And the sugar mint cookies I donated to my church's auction helped raise funds for our youth group to do their work with Habitat for Humanity. The auction raised nearly $1200. I can't help but be a bit proud of myself for making a dish that helped raise this sum.

So cool your brother loves to cook while you handle to home repairs.

On-topic: I figured Spencer taking the antacids might have something to do with his migraines. I have a friend who suffers from migraines and the nausea she suffers from is something fierce.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2

Like I don't have enough to do in my life. And he needs to earn them first. I don't just give my cookies to anyone.

I don't know I sort of feel he earns them simply for being Spencer Reid aka "Pretty boy"

• Love 1

I don't know if this fits here, but I can't drop it so... 

has Hotch changed his house/flat this season? It didn't look the same in "a place at the table" (10x20)

there were more furniture or at least they were different.

and more pictures than necessary of Haley. Sorry, I can't help it, a couple of pictures are ok and Jack's room too, but between his office and all the house I'd have run to Hong Kong too.

• Love 1

Nope, one can't be merely pretty; I'm not shallow. This woman needs a man of substance and gravitas.

Okay how about the fact that he is also genius and can be adorably awkward at times. and the fact that he often puts everyone else before himself.

• Love 3

he often puts everyone else before himself.

Speaking of.....

When you can't not watch Proof, even though you hate the case and its the first time you maybe-kinda-possibly want JJ to actually drop dead, because Reid's angry vulnerability just gets you right in the feels.

How's that for a micro-expression?

• Love 5
(edited)

I watch it, but only recorded or DVR'd, and I skip the slobbering freak unsub, who is an Afro t to mentally challenged people in the extreme. I just mostly love seeing Reid call JJ "Jennifer" with about as much of a bitchslap as any innocent name could load.

I was going to edit this but the auto correct (Afro t for affront) was just too funny and weird...

Edited by normasm
  • Love 4

I love how Angry!Reid lashes out. I love that when he is hurt beyond description, he wants to hurt those who hurt him. I don't know why; I just do. It makes me want to hug him. He is just so sweet and unsure of what to do with all that emotion.

• Love 3

"Oh, oh really? In the months you've known me you've never seen me act this way? No offense Emily, but you really don't know what you're talking about, do you?"

**Just watched it today. Upset Reid is awesome Reid.

• Love 3

smoker, the set people are pretty inconsistent with the homes they show for the team members. Reid's apartment had different light fixtures and furniture-- even in the hallway, and his door number was missing in a later episode. It's like they didn't take the time to photograph the original setting and put it in a file to look at later to see how things were supposed to look.

By the way, the exterior side of the building they used for Reid's apartment was the same building they used the front and awning on for Hotch's apartment.

• Love 3

Reid's apartment had different light fixtures and furniture-- even in the hallway, and his door number was missing in a later episode. It's like they didn't take the time to photograph the original setting and put it in a file to look at later to see how things were supposed to look.

Well, if we could see that, just by watching the episode, I guess the set people could have been doing a much better job with locations that are meant to be the same. Maybe it would have been better that Reid just moved to an entirely different apartment.

• Love 3

When you get excited to see a screenshot of Reid and Rossi in one of the puzzles on Sporcle---and you know right away it's from Uncanny Valley.

• Love 3

When you get an e-mail from a friend who is on a cruise, and she tells you she visited Santiago de Compostella, and you immediately want to tell her to watch out for the exorcist priest.  But, to continue the illusion of sanity, you don't.

• Love 7
(edited)

Again I'm watching old episodes of Numb3rs and this episode "Hot Shot" ended with Shelter from the Storm by Bob Dylan which of course took me straight to the end of the Instincts with the team enjoying a meal together and Spencer sleeping in his mom's room at Bennington. What is it with Numb3rs using so much of the same music - does anyone know if there were any links with staff or production between the two series?

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 3

A friend tells you she caught an episode of CM while working out at her health club. You try figure out what season she's watching so you inquire about Spencer/Matthew's hair. Is it long, short or in-between? She tells you his hair was messy, and you tell her, "Well, that's him from every season."

• Love 2