Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: James Wonder

Jess needs to run for the hills.  Or maybe some under funded inner city school.  If she is that passionate about kids and education, there are more suitable places for her to help kids shine.  Working for a bunch of rich, over privileged hipster parents and their broods of special snowflakes will be soul crushing for an educator like Jess. But this is just a sit-com, so who am I to inject sanity into the 'zany hi-jinks' about to ensue?

• Love 4

I was not actually expecting the parents to be on board for her speech. So kudos to that. I enjoyed the way they intertwined the Jess and Winston plots. And it was a Jess plot I didn't actually dislike.

I side with Nick. I'd much rather get you something unique for your wedding than something of a gift registry. Though I know why they exist.

The funniest moment was in the cold open when Jess jokingly told Nick he was getting detention and he started yelling "But I didn't do anything!" like an actual kid. All the parts with Winston trying to be James Wonder were pretty good too, though. I especially loved when the dad was telling him how tough it was for his kid and Winston says "Yes, privileged white children in LA have it really hard."

• Love 7

Nick really pissed me off though, because while I can appreciate the anti-registry sentiment and wanting to give something more personal if you're very very close, if you don't actually have a specific personal thing in mind, STFU and get something off the registry in the first place. He was just being an moron about it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

It's unbearable how much of a fucking idiot Nick is, in general, nowadays. He's making the show unwatchable.

Right! I was thinking while watching "has Nick always been this dumb?"

11 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Right! I was thinking while watching "has Nick always been this dumb?"

Presumably not when he got into law school. The degree to which Nick, and the show in general, has been Flanderized just chaps my ass. It feels like its gone beyond exaggerating the characters' "quirks." Let's make Nick drunk all the time, so that he can slur his words and forget the alphabet and the rule of grammar, like he has special needs! It's ok to laugh at him because he won't actually be developmentally challenged, just acting like he is. Likewise, let's break Robbie's legs and put him in a wheelchair, so that he can bumble around and we can laugh at disabled people without actually laughing at disabled people! Soon, we'll have someone punch Jess in the face, she'll suffer a concussion, but we can then make her drool and cross-eyed because that will be funny! What a shit show.

• Love 3

The first time Jess interacted with the parent, I could hear Donna's voice in my head. "That was the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. Did you grow up in the woods? Are you Nell? From the movie Nell?"

• Love 3