Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E10: Million Dollar Gamble

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Okay this is one of my favourite episodes now. But pour one out to Gingerbeard. I liked you and your weird American Accent. Bye Gingerbeard. And all the hugs to Jess. I, personally don't blame her for sticking with Rocks (for the same reason why Tyson decided to take the risk. There's a chance you win and you get the numbers). and Rock people are always remembered, and chances are Jessica can come back so it's all good. 

Things that this season should flipping hammer into people's heads:
1: Do not - ever - tell people you have an idol. I get people can divine this somehow - so play it off as if you don't. Keep it in your bra. Keep it in your craw, I don't care, just don't keep it in a bag, and don't tell anyone. It never ever works out. Ever. (this also goes for any sort of advantage or the like). Just keep it to your self. You do not benefit. I think i can count on one hand who it helped (people knowing) vs. people not knowing. and Y'all aren't Kim Spradin, or Tyler Apostle. Hell, you aren't even Russel Hantz. (thank God). so shut up. 

2: Trust your instinct. This is actually a great "bookmark" of David and his idol play. the First time he had it he played it to save Jess - because his gut (and what he heard) made him feel confident that it was Jess in danger. This time, you knew David was going to save Hannah, but Hannah and Adam were like "They said Ken." and you see David pause. - and then save Ken. And that sends Jess home. No matter how neutrotic you are, there is this certain calmness in the panic. everyone gets it - that's what you focus on and go with for the most part. 

3: For God sakes, Lie as if you mean it. Hannah basically torpedo'ed her game because she couldn't go. "yes, Zeke David's trash." like. Hell, girl. She + Adam (and David and Ken for that matter... well. everyone, truly) are all spilling all the secrets. keep stuff to yourself! 

Honestly there is never any need for bullying. And I don't think David was ever flat out rude to Zeke (or Brett) so for them to do what they did to them. blegh. But really. Good episode. 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Honestly there is never any need for bullying. And I don't think David was ever flat out rude to Zeke (or Brett) so for them to do what they did to them. blegh. But really. Good episode. 

David wasn't. They were desperate and lashed out because they felt thwarted and threatened by him. Says a lot about what kind of people they truly are. And then to turn it on Ken and mock him too (Ken and David were calm and sane about it, it was Brett and Zeke that were being fuckwits doing the most by running their nasty mouths and trash talking), utter lack of class.

Someone else pointed out that everything we're shown is edited and maybe David could've pissed them off by his regular behavior that we weren't shown because Survivor wants to present him as the hero underdog. Um no, if that's how we view this show, that everything we're shown isn't mostly what is actually going on and we believe with utter skepticism that black is white and white is black then why even watch the show at all? What's the point if David is actually a dick and Brett and Zeke are good guys and Ken is a jerk and Brett/Sunday/Will are actually strategic masterminds? Sorry but lolfuckingno, that stretches the imagination way too much. Occam's razor and all that and it was very obvious that Brett and Zeke were joining up and going off practically frothing at the mouths because they felt threatened. Just like what Jay and Taylor pulled on Adam last TC, there's no way Adam deserved that treatment last week and there's no way Ken and David deserved what they got at TC this week.

• Love 22

Took a long ass time for this season to get going but that was probably my favorite double headers ever. 

It's interesting how much this cast describes themselves as a fan of Survivor. The producers must have loved this cast because they all seem to be willing to game super hard. 

I don't Zeke should get that comfortable. His five votes tonight included Will and Jay, who have no reason to be loyal to anyone. I'm really surprised that Will decided not to flip considering he probably doesn't have strong ties to either group. 

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, Charlesman said:

Instant Classic great episode in what is becoming a fantastic season for the ages. Amazing job this year. 

Best moments: the side-by-side parallel editing of Zeke and David saying the exact same things. And Jay solving the maze and then stopping once he was through to politely close the door behind him. Hilarious. 

Ken's ants were an instant eye candy moment, I'm not surprised there were a lot of fans of that. 

The first hour with the double-reverse blindside of Chris showed how many levels higher these people are thinking. That was crazy. Then second hour dunked all over it with a massive topper. Just great TV. 

Ha! I totally laughed at Jay's closing the door after him and thought it was pretty darn cute. He deserved that win.

Wow, Bret and Zeke did not come across well at the second tribal. I don't "hate" them as I have the truly despicable alumni of this show, but not exactly classy. Love how everyone is really playing. (Or in Sunday's case, thinks they're playing.)

For all y'all who thought they'd miss Tayls' entertainment factor - he still brings it from the jury box. Kudos to the giant bug that attached itself to him.

Have Ken's eyes always been that blue? Holy crap, that man just gets hotter and hotter. Maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed (was he on both lose-from-ahead puzzle teams?), but come 'round here, Ken, and I'll provide you with all the coconuts for chopping that your heart could desire.

Hilarious sandworm comp. I wonder if somersaulting would be allowed? So much blurring of asses, my first concern was, "oh god, is Will of age?" Great job by the creative comp creators.

I'm really trying to accept Hanna's neuroses and "quirks", but for fuck's sake, the first rule you should know going into Survivor is when someone approaches you for an alliance, your answer is simply YES. "Are we good?" "Absofuckinglutely." "You do think David's the biggest threat, right?" "Hell yes." "You won't tell anyone about this, right?" "Of course not!"

Though I do have some players I'm rooting for more than others, this season is one of the best. Funny what minimal mactor and gimmick casting will do. (The generational split pretty much still draws from the same pool as a normal season.) It's a very good sign that this is the first season since the earliest ones that actually makes me think "hmm, maybe I could consider applying..."

• Love 19
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

I'm smiling because I see a huge transition among everyone here. So many of us seem to have changed from liking one or more contestant to hating so many.

I really am sick of Hannah and want her gone ASAP. She just won't shut up and I can't help but feel that if she wouldn't have kept talking during the moments when people were trying to decide what to do, she might well have been gone. Ever since she badgered Adam & Zeke that night, I've really despised her and want her gone. This season was going so well. It was so interesting. So many tactics involved. Then as soon as Hannah feels threatened, she asks people, "Do you trust me? If you do then vote for X." What a bunch of crap. So sad that people actually believe this stupidity and decide to do what Hannah tells them.

I wish I could scream in her ear with 1,000 decibels, "SHUT UP!  SHUT UP!  SHUT UP!"

I can't stand Hannah.   That's all I got.  

• Love 8

I wish that big bug had landed on Taylor's face instead of his shirt, just to wipe the smirk off his face. Then swarmed over to Hannah and flown away with her. I really do not like her anymore.

The first time they had to draw rocks, that older guy, a judge, got the bad rock. Then he later got in trouble for being caught having sex with someone in a car. LOL, sort of a foretelling, I guess?  Jessica is an ADA, I just found the whole thing funny somehow.

http://thecitizen.com/articles/06-11-2010/da-says-no-cases-affected-judge-englishs-affair

• Love 6

Like I said, he is a cowardly closeted gay bully boy cop. I have zero respect

2 hours ago, MattDuffysCat said:

You probably could have just said you really dislike him without the first part of that same sentence as a disclaimer. When there's a "but" in a sentence, it kind of negates the initial thought.

Like I said above without knowing how to properly quote, he's trash

2 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Ha! I totally laughed at Jay's closing the door after him and thought it was pretty darn cute. He deserved that win.

Wow, Bret and Zeke did not come across well at the second tribal. I don't "hate" them as I have the truly despicable alumni of this show, but not exactly classy. Love how everyone is really playing. (Or in Sunday's case, thinks they're playing.)

For all y'all who thought they'd miss Tayls' entertainment factor - he still brings it from the jury box. Kudos to the giant bug that attached itself to him.

Have Ken's eyes always been that blue? Holy crap, that man just gets hotter and hotter. Maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed (was he on both lose-from-ahead puzzle teams?), but come 'round here, Ken, and I'll provide you with all the coconuts for chopping that your heart could desire.

Hilarious sandworm comp. I wonder if somersaulting would be allowed? So much blurring of asses, my first concern was, "oh god, is Will of age?" Great job by the creative comp creators.

I'm really trying to accept Hanna's neuroses and "quirks", but for fuck's sake, the first rule you should know going into Survivor is when someone approaches you for an alliance, your answer is simply YES. "Are we good?" "Absofuckinglutely." "You do think David's the biggest threat, right?" "Hell yes." "You won't tell anyone about this, right?" "Of course not!"

Though I do have some players I'm rooting for more than others, this season is one of the best. Funny what minimal mactor and gimmick casting will do. (The generational split pretty much still draws from the same pool as a normal season.) It's a very good sign that this is the first season since the earliest ones that actually makes me think "hmm, maybe I could consider applying..."

When I saw the first episode, I groaned and thought this was a really stupid gimmick. But after thinking about it, it actually might make sense why this season has been so entertaining. If TPTB stumbled onto some gimmick that actually works, I think they should run with it in future seasons. This has been one of the very best seasons ever.

• Love 2

The person who made the worst strategic mistake this episode was Hannah. It was fine that she was going to side with David but she made a big blunder when she was speaking to Zeke. Why didn't she just pretend to agree with Zeke and blindside him? What's so difficult about that? Just say "Yes, Zeke. David is a huge threat. I'm with you." That's all she needed to say. And when Zeke asked her if she told David that Zeke is gunning for him, she didn't deny it. WTH? For someone who said she wanted to play this game hard, she's obviously not trying hard enough. Zeke looked visibly pissed after their conversation. She not only vote against him for this tribal, she's essentially closing any doors she might have with him moving forward. It's still early in the game, it wouldn't hurt Hannah whether she went with Zeke or David. She's not going to win against either of them anyway. So I don't get why she would blow her own game trying to "save" David. Because that's how it started out as.

ETA: Bret already said it was all smoke and mirrors but Adam still advised David to use it for Ken. Dumb.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 14

How crazy is it that the heads of the opposing alliances are the two most improbable survivors on the island?  On day one who would have guessed that David (David???) and Zeke would be pulling the strings.  I told my son last night that either David was going to be voted out in the second hour or he'd win it all.  He's certainly getting a great edit as the little survivor who could.  I also think Jay has a great chance at this point.  Laying low while the others duke it out.  If he can get by that way, good on him.  And that immunity challenge win was jaw dropping.  Zeke also has a good chance unless his army goats wake up.

Bret needs to shut up.  I was amused by how talkative he gets when drinking and was surprised by his revelation, but his ugly comments at TC made me dislike him.  Same with Zeke whom I had liked until then.

A few observations:  I think it was David(?) who kept saying (soandso) didn't have his best interests in mind.  Well, duh!  Did he forget that only one person can win?

I laughed till I cried when Will told Zeke that Jay had an idol, but don't tell anyone!  Zeke immediately tells David who tells Hannah and Chris who tells Bret...  Worst kept secret ever.

It finally occured to me who Michelle reminds me of-- Enid on Walking Dead.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9

I have to add that this episode is hilarious. There are several times that I actually laughed out loud watching it. It's better than any sitcom comedy. First with Jeff's "Now Zeke is a Survivor mime!" during the reward challenge when he was crawling through the sand. Then Jay closing that door gently. Then that giant bug on Taylor and his reaction to it. And all that whispering and bitchy remarks during tribal like they were back in high school. "Would members of Zeke's alliance like to raise their hands?", "NO! Would members of David's alliance like to raise their hands?" It was all so juvenile and hella entertaining to me.

I totally agree with what Bret said though, about stopping the nonsense about the "trust clusters" because every man is for himself now. I don't like cutsey terms like that.

Jay is now hiding behind Zeke. He hid behind FigTayls, then behind Michaela and now Zeke. It's a smart move in his current position.

I have watched many seasons of Survivor and this episode is probably in the top 5 favorites for me.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 7

Man, I wish just once a reality show could include a Bostonian that people actually liked.

Did they edit out part of TC? I have no idea what brought out the animosity in Brett snapping or Zeke turning into a 3rd grade Mean Boy with his "Are ya gonna cry David?"

Hannah, don't ever, EVER play poker. 

• Love 8

The person who made the worst strategic mistake this episode was Hannah. It was fine that she was going to side with David but she made a big blunder when she was speaking to Zeke. Why didn't she just pretend to agree with Zeke and blindside him? What's so difficult about that? Just say "Yes, Zeke. David is a huge threat. I'm with you." That's all she needed to say. And when Zeke asked her if she told David that Zeke is gunning for him, she didn't deny it. WTH? 

This is when I yelled out at the television. Honestly, I started wondering if she wanted him to know she'd flipped. Because the whole thing was so stupid. I know people always say it's easier watching at home and viewers get to see things the players didn't and at the same time, editing doesn't show everything. But I cannot see any reasonable explanation for the way Hannah reacted in that conversation with Zeke. Like you said, all the dumbass had to do was say, "yeah I see what you mean about David, okay." And then move along and Zeke is none the wiser.

Instead she stands there with her dumb, doh face, as Zeke is pressing to see if she's with him, then starts looking up at the sky like she's searching for the answers in the cloud and I swear I just started yelling at my television. And all that does is flip the vote to her, so now David isn't sure who to play the idol for - her or himself. And then Brett and Sunday throw out Ken's name to her, even if she has a feeling they're gunning for her, so why would they tell her who they're voting for. And then of course, David ends up wasting the idol. And again, had she just not acted like a stupid weirdo in her conversation with Zeke, tipping him off to the fact that she was siding with David, David would have played his idol for himself and then Zeke gets eliminated. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 13

Like the recap, this was written as I watched:

I liked Chris, but I noticed when they showed the votes that all the other people I like voted against him.

I like both David and Zeke, so it's kind of a bummer for them to be battling each other for supremacy. But it's also exciting and interesting to watch the chess match. I also like Hannah, so I'm cool with whatever she decides.

Why not show the excitement of the rock draw?

What did Jay say in response to Jeff's comment "it was pretty to watch" when putting on his immunity necklace?

Hannah has the worst poker face! But she was clever to suss out that she was the target.

"Tribal Council is theatre, Jeff".  So true!

People are too afraid of going to rocks. Everyone keeps saying Nate Silver was "wrong" because he gave Trump a 35% chance of winning, but taking a 17% chance of drawing a black rock is certain doom?

Obviously Jessica was (or seemed to be) the one most stressed about it, so it's ironic that she got "punished" for sticking to her vote.  But what happens if she switches?  She's 100% guaranteed another three days (unless exactly one person from the other side also switched, which would be kind of funny).

But she also is 100% guaranteed to be seen by everyone else to have voted, in the very same TC, against every single person's interest, either when she first came out or on the revote.  And she is 100% guaranteed to have developed an image as a wishy-washy person who is only out for herself and cannot be counted on.  Better to trade that 100% for an 83% chance you stay in the game and are seen as a loyal, stalwart ally.  And if you do survive the rock draw, you also have a 60% chance of your alliance being the one that came out ahead in the numbers.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

Sure, Sunday and Brett (and Will) are playing. They're playing the goat game, they hitch themselves to a player who tries to mastermind the game and gleefully let themselves get dragged along for the ride until they can't ride it out anymore. That's like the definition of playing the goat game and unless they've never watched a single episode of Survivor before, the goat gets to the end and never wins because it's gameplay that no one respects. We've already been through how many iterations of this with Sunday and Brett? First Paul, then Chris, now Zeke, and they would've glommed on to David too had Zeke gone home tonight but they were just stupid and cowardly enough -- like goats always are -- to insist on keeping Zeke in the game even though there is no way in frosty Hell frozen over that they will ever win over him because they're too chickenshit to make real moves and battle their way to the end on their own merits having earned enough respect from the jury, however grudging, to win at FTC. They still want to get dragged along by Zeke and used as his pawns. So, yes, they are eminently hateable for how they are playing because they're playing a proven loser's game if we're talking about winning the ultimate prize of a million dollars. Or, IDK, maybe they are playing just to win consolation money, in which case, I'm irritated that they're going to continue to pollute this season until the very end.

Michele, the goat, won against Aubrey last season.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, MattDuffysCat said:

You probably could have just said you really dislike him without the first part of that same sentence as a disclaimer. When there's a "but" in a sentence, it kind of negates the initial thought.

Sorry.....guess I was sensitive to the fact that he announced he was gay and I started disliking him!

Wow, what a crazy episode(s). I didn't even realize there were going to be two until the first one was almost over. Being that it's Thanksgiving and I have so much going on, forgive me if this is scattered, but I want to get my thoughts out before I have to leave. 

First of all, I love Ken. Ken is the best. He is my ultimate Survivor crush ever. I'm like a school girl when he's on. I loved what he said about it being hard to have a bad day after a beautiful sunrise. I always get jealous of my husband when there's a beautiful sunrise and he gets to drive into work while it comes up (I'm a SAHM and we live out in the country.) I never get the impression that Ken is mopey or negative. I just think he's quiet and introspective, but actually very kind and appreciative of things. 

I really loved how, after they lost the first RC, Ken made sure to check in on David and how he was doing. Between all the appreciation for David's growth in the game and Adam getting a letter from his mama ("she went to the ballet!"), I actually teared up quite a few times during this episode. In fact, during the first episode I was so happy to see how even though people are working against each other, they all seemed generally respectful and supportive of each other - i.e. everyone cheering for David to play. It was so refreshing after the nasty, antagonistic crap we've seen the last few seasons. 

But then the 2nd TC happened and I was really let down. I get that there are big moves being made here, lines being drawn in the sand, alliances being forsaken. It's tense. I get it. But Zeke and Brett making fun of David for being emotional and asking if he was going to cry was just vile.  I'd been a big Zeke fan up until now (still think he's playing a great game, more on that later), and didn't see this nasty side people said he had. I see it now. I love how rapidly this game changes, and I thought it was great that the "Nerd Bros" split apart and were basically LEADING opposite camps. How cool is that??? But to see Zeke make it personal like that really let me down. 

And Brett actually did several nasty things during that TC. Making fun of David for crying was just one. But then he was all, "Welcome to Survivor, Ken!" - as if Ken is some bumbling idiot who doesn't know that the fuck he's doing. As if BRETT, himself, has been playing this masterful game so far. Brett has been someone's lapdog the entire time. He was Paul's, then Chris's, now Zeke's. He does what is told, no questions. At least we've seen Ken making his own moves in the game, albeit subtly. And then after the rock draw, when Jess was out, Brett says - "And you didn't want to go to rocks. But David did". Like it's all David's fault. You ALL went to rocks. No one backed down and changed their vote. It could have easily been you or Sunday with the black rock. So sit down and shut up. Ugh. 

Actually, I just had this feeling it would be Jess. She was so concerned about it, I just knew it would end up being her. It really sucks for her. I think I would have changed my vote for Hannah on the 2nd vote, to avoid going to rocks. It's so easy to say that from an outsider's point of view, though. I didn't love Jessica or anything, but it's a shitty way to go. And being that she was Ken's strongest ally, I am a bit worried about his standing going forward. At least Jess gave him the LA. 

But oh that was a crazy TC. As much as I am starting to lose my love for Zeke, he has become a masterful player! He turned on his Okie boy and got another strong contender out at a good time (I feel like Chris's ouster was overshadowed, but I am sorry about it, because I was enjoying him), and was quickly able to get the dude's two strongest allies on HIS side. That was brilliant. And I can't say for sure, but I'd bet it was he that came up with the Ken-fake-out, which caused David to waste his Idol. Another great move. Zeke is definitely the one to watch. 

I think Hannah may have taken the "sucks at this game" mantle from Adam this week. I loved how she's proclaiming to David that Zeke trusts her, so she can kind of play both sides and get intel. And then she is a total bumbling idiot when talking to Zeke. Could she not just have admitted David was a huge threat? Let Zeke go with it? Her hemming and hawing caused him to see right through her. 

Trustcluster was kind of funny, though. 

Ahhhh, so many other scattered thoughts, but I have to wrap up. Ummmm, I thought there were a lot of newish challenges tonight that I really enjoyed. Also, you go, David - winning immunity! Hannah, back off of Ken, he's mine. (and about 50 other people on the board's.)

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Charlesman said:

Instant Classic great episode in what is becoming a fantastic season for the ages. Amazing job this year. 

Best moments: the side-by-side parallel editing of Zeke and David saying the exact same things. And Jay solving the maze and then stopping once he was through to politely close the door behind him. Hilarious. 

Haha, I thought I was the only one who noticed that!!

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 4

I felt for Jessica when she was speaking at the end and then completely broke down.  That was hard to watch.

I liked Chris and wish he and Ken were allied so Chris would still be there and Ken would not be in danger.

From things he has said Ken seems to be a smart guy so I can't fathom why he is so bad with the puzzles.

I actually hope Jay keeps hanging on because his reactions are funny.  He just needs to not ally with Bret the bullying mouth breather and we're golden.

I've seen Survivors get mean with each other before (I will always wave my finger in your face!) but I don't recall them stooping to that awful of a level before like Bret.  He seemed to come unhinged and it was ugly to watch and really made me hate him.

Somehow I missed what Zeke said to David.  That is one TC I wish they would put online or something in its unedited entirety.

Ken is still beautiful.   I don't want to see him cleaned up because the affliction has already struck Taylor and Chris in that they didn't look as good on the jury as on the island.

I wonder if Ken, Jessica and Chris all are smokers with the way they seem to constantly have something in their mouths.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Wow, Bret and Zeke did not come across well at the second tribal. I don't "hate" them as I have the truly despicable alumni of this show, but not exactly classy.

My sons ( 6&8) watch with me and they were all, "I hate Brett! I hate Zeke!" I reminded them that "hate" is a strong word and we try to reserve it for someone particularly loathsome. Before I could expound upon this, my oldest said - "I hate Jeff". LOL!

6 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I think one can be intelligent in other ways, but not be great at puzzles. Ken is well spoken, and has expressed a love of the written word and vinyl. He seems very capable in a survival element (catches a lot of food, knows how to build a shelter, etc.) I think he's probably fairly smart, but puzzles just aren't this thing. We can't forget that he was working with two other people too, and group dynamics can sometimes screw people up. 

8 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

@ghoulina, loved 99% of your post, and happy Thanksgiving.  :)  But I couldn't "heart" it because I really disagree about Jessica switching her vote.  (See my post just upthread.)

No, I agree she was likely going to be targeted soon anyhow. I was just hypothesizing what I might have done, but again - so hard to say when you're not in the thick of it. 

• Love 5

My first thought was that Brett came out of a closet that he just built on the way to the reward. In other words, he told Zeke was gay as a way to bond.  But is he really?  I'm honestly not sure.  If he's fought his whole life to keep that a secret (Boston cop, ex-military), is he going to be so matter-of-fact about telling someone on national TV with a camera in his face?  He may be gay as much as he is a funeral director.

• Love 3

I have a feeling Hannah went on ad nauseum about how much Jeff loved her trust cluster after the first tribal- which I imagine would explain Bret's reaction at the second tribal. 

When Will and Sunday talked about sticking with the plan- and Hannah turned and asked "what's the plan?" I love that they were quick thinking enough to say Ken and throw off smug Adam and Hannah- making even smugger David blow his idol.  Loved watching their grins fade as they realized they were had. 

David - "everyone in Zeke's alliance raise your hands" - you don't think there is going to be backlash for calling people out?  

I'm really enjoying this season- tribals aren't cut and dry in the first 5 minutes of the show, with 50 minutes of editing to make it look like there is another potential snuff. 

Totally didn't see Bret being gay. I respect that he doesn't use it to define himself in the tribe- but told Zeke one on one, seemed like a legit bonding moment. 

Adorable - Jay closing the door, momma taught him manners. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Boilergal said:

David - "everyone in Zeke's alliance raise your hands" - you don't think there is going to be backlash for calling people out?

Sure. I think replying, "Everyone in David's alliance raise your hands" would have sufficed. Taunting, "Are you going to cry now?" was so immature and below the belt. No respect for that. 

• Love 12

I think Zeke is very, very good at puzzles. So far it seems that if Zeke is on your team, the puzzle gets done a lot faster. I don't know that anyone else is necessarily bad at puzzles (there's probably a range), they just don't appear to be in the same league as Zeke.

That was one hell of a two-fer. Wow. Now I just need to find and watch the old WKRP in Cincinnati turkey drop episode and my Thanksgiving viewing will be completely awesome.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

Well, that was interesting.  I feel bad for Jess - she does know that she's only going to jury and not to her death, right?

Hahaha...right?  I'm picturing some sort of "Hunger Games" version of this show, and cracking up.  Nice.

38 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I think one can be intelligent in other ways, but not be great at puzzles. Ken is well spoken, and has expressed a love of the written word and vinyl. He seems very capable in a survival element (catches a lot of food, knows how to build a shelter, etc.) I think he's probably fairly smart, but puzzles just aren't this thing.

Apologies for this brag, but I belong to the Triple Nine Society and while many of the other members enjoy challenging each other with puzzles, I can never figure them out.  Even regular, non-fiendish puzzles are difficult for me.  Just not my thing.

FWIW, Ken strikes me as being pretty smart, especially in emotional intelligence.  Along with being a genuinely decent human being (or else he is very, very good at pretending to be one).

11 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

When Bret and Zeke were drinking and Bret started talking about how he was starting to know who he really was, I thought he was going to admit to being a drunk.  

Hahahaha!  That would have been awesome.  Would have loved to see the look on Zeke's face if that's what he said.

8 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

You guys are kind of making me want to watch.

Though it does also sound like the rest of the season, wild and surprising because everyone is dumb, not because anyone is playing awesome.

I think there is some good, exciting chess-match type play going on.  Come back!  I miss your commentary.

4 hours ago, mertensia said:

I suspect Hannah's just a really bad liar face-to-face and has clearly never really learned to control her facial expressions.

I love Hannah (I even think she is kind of hot), but I was so disappointed with her there.  It's one thing if you can't control your facial expressions, but she wouldn't even say the right words.

55 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Michele, the goat, won against Aubrey last season.

I had a feeling someone was going to say that, and I vehemently disagree.  On May 2, when there were still six players left, I said she was one of the best players I've ever seen play (and I've seen every episode of every season except China).  A lot of people apparently just can't appreciate the subtlety of her game, IMO, even though visibly winning challenges was part of it (and that in itself, even if you don't agree with me about her acrobatic social/strategic game, disqualifies her from being a "goat": goats don't win challenges that are the only things that keep them from being sent packing).

• Love 6

Hannah's complete inability to lie to Zeke is what started the entire maddening ball rolling, and at the end I'm glad that her and Adam's misguided sincerity is what kept Ken safe.

Adam's concern for Ken's game in that moment was very endearing.

I popped into Twitter to see what people were saying and some of the rhetoric was that Bret just saying "are you going to cry now" was not bullying and I could not disagree more.  In my life experience, that phrase is like the bullying mantra.  Someone who would say that in that tone is not a nice person.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I popped into Twitter to see what people were saying and some of the rhetoric was that Bret just saying "are you going to cry now" was not bullying and I could not disagree more.  In my life experience, that phrase is like the bullying mantra.  Someone who would say that in that tone is not a nice person.

I cannot stand the overuse of bullying, but that absolutely 100% was bullying. No doubt in my mind. Compounded by the fact that both he AND Zeke were making a similar taunt, from either side of David. Sunday even admonished Brett! It wasn't nice at all. 

• Love 19
23 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Sure. I think replying, "Everyone in David's alliance raise your hands" would have sufficed. Taunting, "Are you going to cry now?" was so immature and below the belt. No respect for that. 

Also, David said this after Brett got irrationally defensive and pissed about his using the trust cluster term. Brett is the one who went all, "oh give me a break, there are no clusters, none of that crap, it's people who trust each other or not..." So David was basically like, "okay, if we're all being so upfront, who's in Zeke's alliance?" 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, sassykattt said:

So, Brett is a drunk, closeted bully boy cop.  Let him have a humiliating exit

Nope.  He's openly gay.  He made a point of discussing that in a pre-show interview.  It was just news to the tribemates (and to probably many viewers) because he doesn't fit the normal Survivor gay stereotype of a prissy queen.

Edited by legaleagle53
28 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

I had a feeling someone was going to say that, and I vehemently disagree.  On May 2, when there were still six players left, I said she was one of the best players I've ever seen play (and I've seen every episode of every season except China).  A lot of people apparently just can't appreciate the subtlety of her game, IMO, even though visibly winning challenges was part of it (and that in itself, even if you don't agree with me about her acrobatic social/strategic game, disqualifies her from being a "goat": goats don't win challenges that are the only things that keep them from being sent packing).

Sunday and Bret have been on most of the winning reward teams and many team immunities yet you called them goats. And Michele won like one II, right? Woopie...Dave just won one and Jess came in second but many said she was not much of a Survivor player. Michele did nothing, she was a goat that won due to a bitter douche jury...JMO

Looked at Wiki and Michele won 2 II. Still, not enough to award her the big W in my opinion.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 5
Just now, Lamima said:

Sunday and Bret have been on most of the winning reward teams and many team immunities yet you called them goats. And Michele won like one II, right? Woopie...Dave just won one and Jess came in second but many said she was not much of a Survivor player. Michele did nothing, she was a goat that won due to a bitter douche jury...JMO

This. It's all subjective really. Where one sees brilliant subtle gameplay, others see "coasted behind others and then got lucky with some key immunity wins at the right time." 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. It's all subjective really. Where one sees brilliant subtle gameplay, others see "coasted behind others and then got lucky with some key immunity wins at the right time." 

Yes. And I guess it's about what style you like. Lay low and be quite, calm and amenable or make big bold moves. I prefer the later.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Lamima said:

Yes. And I guess it's about what style you like. Lay low and be quite, calm and amenable or make big bold moves. I prefer the later.

I like both equally. A player can do both depending on their circumstances (which are sometimes out of their control, like a tribe swap). Laying low as a choice to take the target off you is not a "goat" to me. Laying low because you are lazy and not seizing the opportunities presented to you makes you a "goat". Big moves for the sake of making them doesn't impress me either. Like Adam, always talking about making moves that sometimes don't make sense. But lately he's cooled off on that so that's good.

This season has less goats than usual. Everyone came to play. The only ones I can think of is Bret, Sunday and maybe Will.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, waving feather said:

This season has less goats than usual. Everyone came to play. The only ones I can think of is Bret, Sunday and maybe Will.

I liken Michele from S32 to Will.

I like both too and also a good social game player as well. You have to manage many things to be a good Survivor. Make moves when necessary, lay low when necessary, lie when necessary, make social connections when necessary and the ability to know when all these things are necessary. And winning comps but not too many and helping enough around camp. All these make a good Survivor.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lamima said:

So who told Jay the plan? Someone did. I am not buying that he just figured it out and randomly voted Jess. So one of the other Jess voters? I am guessing Sunday.

I have heard that tribals can last for hours.  It is very possible that all the talk going on during the times that edited out was enough for Jay to know he was probably safe.  

12 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It's like a switch just flipped with Bret and Zeke and they just suddenly decided to be assholes to David and company who did nothing to them. You even see Sunday sort of trying to rein Bret in at one point. 

Maybe that is what happens to them when they drink too much beer.  Or maybe drinking beer after starving for so long will make you bloated, gassy, and constipated.  No excuse for them saying what they did.

2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Man, I wish just once a reality show could include a Bostonian that people actually liked.

I spend some time in Boston  - well, okay, it was only two days, but we went all over the city - and I don't recall meeting anyone that was annoying.  If my only exposure to Bostonians was what I have seen on Survivor, I would never what to visit there.  

20 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

That is one of the things I love about Survivor.  There is no one right way to win.  What constitutes winning gameplay one season might get you sent home before the merge in another season.  There are different people each season and different idols/rewards and that all affects what makes a winning strategy.  I think Sandra's anyone-but-me strategy was perfect for the first season she won - heck, she won, so it must have been the right strategy for that season - but it would've gotten her voted out early or taken to the end as a goat in most other seasons.  

• Love 4

Those were two great episodes. This season is really shaping up to be one of the best of the series.

Zeke and Bret were being assy at the second TC, but I don't get the sense that they're terrible people. I think it just got heated and they overstepped the line of decent behavior. Even good people can be jerks sometime, and they definitely were being jerks, but unless this becomes a pattern with them, I can give it a pass.

That said, Bret, along with Sunday and Will, aren't bringing much to the game. They're followers and of the remaining group, these are the only three whose win would be a disappointment to me. Sunday is probably my least favorite. Her private war with Jessica, which is so private that Jessica seems unaware of it, is bizarre. Speaking of, has anyone ever taken an ouster as hard as Jessica? I know people have cried on the way out before, but she seemed gutted by the whole thing.

Hannah, OTOH, is at least trying to control her own fate. She isn't a great player, mostly because she's a TURRIBLE liar, but I love her. When she was eeeeee!-ing over Ken, saying he would never be interested in someone like her, and then saying, "but I could see us together!" I was thinking, Girl, YES. Go get yourself a handsome man. Speaking of which, why no screencap of Ken's abs and/or blue eyes in the recap? Disappointing.

I can't say I love Jay, but I'm getting a kick out of how much he's enjoying watching the house burn down around him.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Stinamaia said:

Just interrupting to ask -Am I the only one who finds David very attractive?  

I'll join you at that table.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

It finally occured to me who Michelle reminds me of-- Enid on Walking Dead.

Wow, yep!

4 hours ago, waving feather said:

I have to add that this episode is hilarious. There are several times that I actually laughed out loud watching it. It's better than any sitcom comedy.

This. The whole season has been amazing comedy. I am obsessed with how straight-up hilarious it's all been. Do they have a new editor who has a history in comedy or something because they are definitely purposefully editing these eps with comedy in mind.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wonder if Ken, Jessica and Chris all are smokers with the way they seem to constantly have something in their mouths.

When Ken went to vote with that thing in his mouth and then the way he took it out and held it made me pretty sure he's a smoker. And I am so far gone with my Ken crush (like I'm almost at Hannah levels!) I was like, "That's sexy." LOL.

1 hour ago, waving feather said:

I like both equally. A player can do both depending on their circumstances (which are sometimes out of their control, like a tribe swap). Laying low as a choice to take the target off you is not a "goat" to me. Laying low because you are lazy and not seizing the opportunities presented to you makes you a "goat". Big moves for the sake of making them doesn't impress me either.

This. So much this.

I had just started really liking Brett and Zeke and then they were absolute assholes at TC. I agree with @fishcakes though that I'm gonna wait and see if they keep acting like that or if they acknowledge what assholes they were. Zeke though has started to give me the vibes that he's a dick, particularly in the extra vids.

I kind of admire that Jessica went to rocks. I would have bailed so fast! But even more than her, I really don't understand why Will didn't just switch his vote to Zeke. The way he was trying to take control of TC when he's not in any way, shape, or form a power player in the game made me think for some reason he got real cocky about being in with Zeke. Same goes for Brett actually. They were all acting so arrogant at TC, I was really hoping they'd get knocked down a peg.

I kinda hate Jay. And I am like 90% sure he's going to win. Everyone is going to keep turning on each other and he's going to quietly slide into F3 because of that and probably also winning a lot of ICs.

I can't remember what else I wanted to say. These eps were just bananas in the best way. This season might just be in my top 10. Maybe even top 5.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Boston Rob is not enough for you?  He's been on like 5 seasons of Survivor and Amazing Race too, right?  I like him and I don't even WANT to like him. I hate how much I like him.  Anyways, he's like the prototypical reality show personality that people like, and yeah I think he's from Boston.

3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

What did Jay say in response to Jeff's comment "it was pretty to watch" when putting on his immunity necklace?

My guess:  "It's because I'm wearing pink, Jeff"  ?

3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

People are too afraid of going to rocks. Everyone keeps saying Nate Silver was "wrong" because he gave Trump a 35% chance of winning, but taking a 17% chance of drawing a black rock is certain doom?

That's funny, for me, people are not afraid enough.  This is way too dumb of a mistake for these contestants to make in the 33rd season.

The funniest posts here are all about Ken.  It's really funny, it's comedy gold.  Like how hot he is and how everyone reacts to it.  For me, I thought it was so funny how every single time Ken was on screen he was (cooking?)  He's like the househusband for the entire tribe.  He was always sitting and cooking.  I never saw him do anything else this episode.  

I was surprised that Zeke didn't care that Chris was ousted?  And then I was surprised that Bret didn't care either?  There was a lot I didn't understand this episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

My guess:  "It's because I'm wearing pink, Jeff"  ?

Yea, it was something about his lane being pink. It was cute. Sometimes I really like Jay and then sometimes I'm like 'get the fuck outta here you smug asshole' with him.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

It has dawned on me who Jay resembles (and all you GEN Xers will get this). Jay looks like a poor man's Michael Hutchence.

There we go!  That's who he reminds me of!  I understand the Jay/Ramirez comparison, but I don't like it.  Jay seems like a decent person, a good kid.  I think I'm rooting for Jay to win the whole thing right now.  He got a bad rap with his connection to Tayls, but I think Jay's got a lot more smarts and intuition than anyone on the Millennials tribe.  Even though everyone knows he has an idol now, I'd love it if he could just coast through a couple more TC's and not have to play it, as he sits back and watches everyone else go after each other with a wee smirk on his face.

12 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Right?  Sunday's obsession with Jessica's non-existent obsession with her was just bizarre. 

Sunday is probably going to be taken to the end as a goat, isn't she?  I don't know if there's a storyline we're not seeing, but her weird fixation that Jess spent every waking moment trying to plot Sunday's demise was ridiculous.  

12 hours ago, Stinamaia said:

Just interrupting to ask -Am I the only one who finds David very attractive?  

He's got a great smile and pretty eyes.

I am loving the shots of Ken sitting at what looks like his own hand-crafted general store or restaurant, working on something or other.  He's probably just chopping up coconuts but I find it amusing.

I thought the shivering fruit bat would be my favorite non-human appearance of the episode, but it turned out to be ants, followed closely by whatever huge bug attached itself to Tayl's shirt.

EDIT: Can't tell you how thrilled I am that this season, for me, has been one of redemption for Survivor.  I was losing faith fast, jaded by the past few seasons.

Happy Thanksgiving, Survivor fans!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Nope.  He's openly gay.  He made a point of discussing that in a pre-show interview.  It was just news to the tribemates (and to probably many viewers) because he doesn't the normal Survivor gay stereotype of a prissy queen.

I don't know why you keep mentioning prissy queens.  I don't remember any such stereotype on this show.  Zeke is not prissy.  Todd wasn't like that.  Anyways, it's not like I really want to get into it anyway, I don't think about people's sexual orientation when I watch the show, and I don't think Survivor is at all like that.  There were a lot of castmates that announced that they were gay on this show, and I hadn't given it any thought either way until they mentioned it.  Another guy on Cook Island - actually two guys, JP and Brad, although I don't know if JP ever announced it.  Not prissy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

I am loving the shots of Ken sitting at what looks like his own hand-crafted general store or restaurant, working on something or other.  He's probably just chopping up coconuts but I find it amusing.

Yes! I forgot to mention this. I think the shots of Ken sitting at some sort of desk calmly chopping coconuts while David and Jessica frantically tell him what's going on in the game were my fave parts of this insanely great episode.

• Love 9