Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Quid Pro Ho

4 hours ago, paulusar said:

Why do Americans think that the devil is British?

I don't remember where I saw this so I have no reference, but...IIRC Tom Ellis tried an American accent and the general opinion was that it made Lucifer sound like an unpleasant asshole, whereas with his British accent he sounded like the endearing asshat we know (and love, speaking for myself).

• Love 6

What I don't get is if Charlotte and Amandiel both think this is part of God's long term plan then why don't they think he will have anticipated their reaction?

And if God made Chloe a special someone for Lucifer is it to teach Lucifer about his own weaknesses since his powers fail when he is around her?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

What I don't get is if Charlotte and Amandiel both think this is part of God's long term plan then why don't they think he will have anticipated their reaction?

Who says he didn't?

I think it all depends on whether there's an endgame or not. If there is an endgame then the reaction was likely part of the plan or at least, one of the plans (since there could be several for various circumstances).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

This is what I understood, too. God asked Amenadiel to bless the couple, he didn't "bless the mother" himself Zeus style, did he?

Geeze, that a good point.  I did not even think about that angel.  I doubt he did that. But if he did. It's a great story line. That means Chloe is Lucy sister.

Even an archangel loves his jag!  

29b91a517502658.jpg 2d2940517502666.jpg 

Edited by gwhh
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, gwhh said:

Geeze, that a good point.  I did not even think about that angel.  I doubt he did that. But if he did. It's a great story line. That means Chloe is Lucy sister.

So God on this show would be George R.R.Martin?

• Love 1

Not much to add in terms of what was great, but I so enjoyed this episode I just wanted to chime in lest anyone from the show is keeping track of the love.  The 'butt stuff' line slayed me.  Ditto the Nietzsche line.  And I loved Maze throwing herself behind the No One Hurts Chloe theme.  She's such a badass.  Love her.  And Mama Decker stepping between Charlotte and Chloe. 

Maybe my favorite thing though was the way Luci and Chloe expressed their appreciation for one another from the stand.  I didn't want a romantic pairing at all; I'd be really bummed if it came about this early; and I would hate eons of faux hurdles.  But both actors were so good at their declarations, for the first time I thought-- well, we could do worse than a pair of charming people who actually know, value, and respect each other.  But... I don't think they're going there now.  Too many wonderful bits of celestial intrigue to pose an actual bar to a romance.  I really like the idea that Dad put Chloe in the way to teach Lucifer about himself, about humanity, and about goodness in his creation.  Luci has only had horrible examples of humanity before him in Hell.

Mid-January is sooo far away!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Who says he didn't?

I think it all depends on whether there's an endgame or not. If there is an endgame then the reaction was likely part of the plan or at least, one of the plans (since there could be several for various circumstances).

My point is that he probably did.  I'm just surprised that they didn't seem to think if that.

Anyone else notice that the writers are setting up Dan to figure out who Lucifer really is?  Several episodes ago Dan saw Lucifer's wing scars when they were naked in the Russian bath house. In this episode Lucifer told Dan that he is the devil (that's why he could speak Chinese) and that he was immortal (same scene). He also heard Chloe tesify that Lucifer (who never lies) told her he had run hell. I think Dan also saw Lucifer recover from being dead in the final episode last year. Dan isn't dumb - I think he has Lucifer figured out but just needs a final push to admit it.

• Love 5

I don't really think of that as "setting up Dan" to figure out, at least not any more than any other character. He's constantly announcing he's the devil. Other than seeing the scars, Dan isn't any more in the loop than anyone else who spends significant time with him (and does not already know), such as Chloe. The whole point is he's not actually hiding it, so there's no suspense for me to see who "figures it out". The not-knowing characters have all seen something that should give them pause.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

If this show gets another season or two, don't you think we're going to get to a place where all of the main characters "know" he's been telling the truth all of this time about being the Devil?  The balance between procedural and celestial has been really well managed by the writers, but at some point it's going to feel like a farce if they keep key players ignorant of his identity.  It took some 23 episodes for them to reveal why Chloe is special, so I'm not anticipating full knowledge anytime soon.  I'll be interested to see how it develops. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Zipper said:

If this show gets another season or two, don't you think we're going to get to a place where all of the main characters "know" he's been telling the truth all of this time about being the Devil?  The balance between procedural and celestial has been really well managed by the writers, but at some point it's going to feel like a farce if they keep key players ignorant of his identity.  It took some 23 episodes for them to reveal why Chloe is special, so I'm not anticipating full knowledge anytime soon.  I'll be interested to see how it develops. 

I didn't really think that they were dragging out the "why Chloe is special" explanation. They didn't really make it a subject and since it could simply have been that Lucifer has different feelings for her than any other woman he has met, I think it was fine. I think it was something that could just be accepted as a fact.

Finding out who Lucifer is, however, is something else entirely. They know all these facts about Lucifer, they've seen the scars, Chloe's seen his Devil face, she's seen the blood on his shirt and that he was unharmed at the same time, she's seen his power, Dan's pretty much the same (though he hasn't seen the Devil face), so I think it'll lose credibility if they just keep accepting those things without questioning them. They explained why Chloe isn't questioning it further - she's apparently, not ready. Dan, on the other hand, has gotten all these clues within a few episodes, so I think he needs to get suspicious at least, that something is up.

A different thought - since Amenadiel has been losing his powers, is he actually still immortal? And we still don't really know what caused the loss of his powers, do we?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, gwhh said:

Even an archangel loves his jag!  

29b91a517502658.jpg 2d2940517502666.jpg 

Well, who wouldn't love a Jag?

Chloe's isn't Lucifer's "sister."  She's the product of a blessing from God, not the direct issue of congress between God and "Charlotte."

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 6

A different thought - since Amenadiel has been losing his powers, is he actually still immortal? And we still don't really know what caused the loss of his powers, do we?

Didn't Amenadiel begin losing his powers when he saw a picture of Chloe and her mother at the police station? Given what we learned last night, I wonder if there is a connection between the two events? I don't what it could be, but it doesn't seem likely to be coincidental that Amenadiel's powers only began to diminish when he saw a picture of those two together. 

By the way, pure speculation on my part, but Charlotte's last words to Amenadiel about Chloe being the one who can get him his wings back made me think that Chloe will be the way Lucifer gets his wings back. Maybe the event that pushes her to truly believe everything is seeing a winged Lucifer shining with divine light. It would certainly be a jaw-dropping reveal. 

Edited by Inquiry
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Inquiry said:

Didn't Amenadiel begin losing his powers when he saw a picture of Chloe and her mother at the police station? Given what we learned last night, I wonder if there is a connection between the two events? I don't what it could be, but it doesn't seem likely to be coincidental that Amenadiel's powers only began to diminish when he saw a picture of those two together. 

I really don't know when it actually started. But that gave me a thought - Amenadiel's actions in S1 led to Chloe almost being killed. Since Chloe is the product of his Blessing, maybe it's the consequences of reviving Malcolm which made him lose his powers?

23 minutes ago, Inquiry said:

By the way, pure speculation on my part, but Charlotte's last words to Amenadiel about Chloe being the one who can get him his wings back made me think that Chloe will be the way Lucifer gets his wings back. Maybe the event that pushes her to truly believe everything is seeing a winged Lucifer shining with divine light. It would certainly be a jaw-dropping reveal. 

It certainly would be but Lucifer doesn't want his wings back. I'm not saying that he won't get them back, I'm just saying that he's quite happy where he is, and not looking for a solution on how to get them back, so there might not be a big reveal of any kind in that regard. (I still wish he wouldn't have burned them though)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

I really don't know when it actually started. But that gave me a thought - Amenadiel's actions in S1 led to Chloe almost being killed. Since Chloe is the product of his Blessing, maybe it's the consequences of reviving Malcolm which made him lose his powers?

Ooh, I had not thought about this aspect. In one episode (2x09, I think) Amenadiel listed all the reasons why he may have fallen and one was releasing a damned soul from Hell, obviously referring to Malcolm. Very interesting...

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

It certainly would be but Lucifer doesn't want his wings back. I'm not saying that he won't get them back, I'm just saying that he's quite happy where he is, and not looking for a solution on how to get them back, so there might not be a big reveal of any kind in that regard. (I still wish he wouldn't have burned them though)

Yeah, I think Chloe will find out before Lucifer gets his wings back. I do think it's inevitable that he will get them back, somehow. Even if it is only for a few episodes. I don't think the writers want the wings as a permanent fixture anyway. Pretty sure it would increase the SFX budget, especially if they go with the theory that Lucifer is far more powerful with his wings. Plus, the symbolism of having Lucifer, the first fallen Angel, to have "clipped wings" (and by his, or Maze's, hands at that) complete with the scars is just so damn powerful. If they ever do give Lucifer his wings back (which, as you said, might be never) then I think it will either be a) a mini-arc with perhaps more focus on simply finding a way to get them back or b) the end of the series.    

• Love 2

Wouldn't Dan as the principle investigator on the case revealing that the defense attorney slept with him and snooped on his phone result in a mistrial, and possibly Charlotte being disbarred? I mean, I get that he's somewhat weasely and always tries to avoid taking personal blame for stuff, but for something this important it seems like taking a hit to get a new trial and perhaps buy time for more evidence to turn up would be worth it.

• Love 2

Seems like he should've, but he also was outed before for his own shenanigans, and for some reason still has a job in the same place. (It's entirely plausible he could do all the wrong he's done and get another cop gig somewhere else, but his keeping his current job is super ridiculous to me). Given that his kid lives here, I can imagine him going a self-preservation route and not being willing to out himself to out Charlotte. Even if he could claim he didn't know who she was at the time, he looks like a moron. Although I don't know why it wasn't just as much a conflict of interest for him to be involved since his divorce isn't final. So who knows what the rules are. Fast and loose as usual with the procedural stuff.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Wouldn't Dan as the principle investigator on the case revealing that the defense attorney slept with him and snooped on his phone result in a mistrial, and possibly Charlotte being disbarred?

Maybe a mistrial before the verdict came in, but after the verdict, double jeopardy would attach and no second trial.  This was one thing that really irked me.  Dan has come a long way, both in terms of character development and in terms of being a likeable guy-- and maybe that was a whole redemption arc intention.  But, he's apparently still the same shitbag that let his wife believe she was nuts and allowed her to be isolated/vilified within the PD because he was trying to avoid getting himself in trouble.  Now he's done it again.  For his many good points, this repeated failure to accept the consequences of his own bad behavior bothers me.  

• Love 2

I'm in the "Chloe and Luci aren't siblings" team because she isn't God's daughter. I see her like Isaac, not at the same level than Jesus and the angels. 

I ship them, especially because I'm curious about the kind of relationship they would have and where it would lead them. I mean, they're not your usual couple and the dynamic between them and the consequences might be very interesting. 

I don't understand Amenadiel anymore. He should know that if he wants his wings back, maybe lying and conniving isn't the best way to do it. 

Loved what Dan did at the end, no gonna lie. Although I expected Luci to handle that himself. It's been a while since he went full demon on someone and I miss it. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Helena Dax said:

I ship them, especially because I'm curious about the kind of relationship they would have and where it would lead them. I mean, they're not your usual couple and the dynamic between them and the consequences might be very interesting. 

That is actually why I'm not a shipper - I just can't see them in a relationship. Not because they're so different, there are plenty of characters who are very different which I could easily see together, but there just doesn't seem to be anything there. Nothing that makes me say "come on, get your act together" and nothing that makes me grin like an idiot with little hearts in her eyes when I see them together. I love them as friends, and I love how Chloe's come around and grown fond of Lucifer, as a potential couple, they leave me kind of cold.

I don't understand Amenadiel anymore. He should know that if he wants his wings back, maybe lying and conniving isn't the best way to do it. 

Seems like Amenadiel is a slow learner ;-)

Loved what Dan did at the end, no gonna lie. Although I expected Luci to handle that himself. It's been a while since he went full demon on someone and I miss it. 

Couldn't agree more on that last part. I'd even be content with just a little demon. I find that part of his appeal is his "otherwordly-ness", so I like when they show that. When I saw Mom as the defense attorney, I was actually hoping for a little discussion between Mom and son that went into that direction in court. It could have been so much fun if they had gotten a little carried away.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I didn't really think that they were dragging out the "why Chloe is special" explanation. They didn't really make it a subject and since it could simply have been that Lucifer has different feelings for her than any other woman he has met, I think it was fine. I think it was something that could just be accepted as a fact.

Finding out who Lucifer is, however, is something else entirely. They know all these facts about Lucifer, they've seen the scars, Chloe's seen his Devil face, she's seen the blood on his shirt and that he was unharmed at the same time, she's seen his power, Dan's pretty much the same (though he hasn't seen the Devil face), so I think it'll lose credibility if they just keep accepting those things without questioning them. They explained why Chloe isn't questioning it further - she's apparently, not ready. Dan, on the other hand, has gotten all these clues within a few episodes, so I think he needs to get suspicious at least, that something is up.

Not quite.  Early in season 2 Chloe had a vial of Lucifer's blood and was going to have it tested, at Lucifer's urging, to proves he was not human (this was after Amenadiel's little mind game with Chloe and the bullet proof vest).  Ella and Chloe had a talk about faith in which the basic message was deciding who you believed in. Chloe evidently thought about this for a while and then threw away the vial, choosing to believe in Lucifer even if she wasn't quite sure exactly what she was believing.  Also, I don'r remember Chloe seeing the full Lucifer face but she has seen the eyes.

This was the first episode, as far as I can remember, where Lucifer said flat out to Dan that he was the devil, not once but twice.  For all his faults, Dan isn't a dummy. He has seen and heard enough.

Agree on Amenadiel; does he have any powers at all now? Mom threw him around like a rag doll.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Not quite.  Early in season 2 Chloe had a vial of Lucifer's blood and was going to have it tested, at Lucifer's urging, to proves he was not human (this was after Amenadiel's little mind game with Chloe and the bullet proof vest).  Ella and Chloe had a talk about faith in which the basic message was deciding who you believed in. Chloe evidently thought about this for a while and then threw away the vial, choosing to believe in Lucifer even if she wasn't quite sure exactly what she was believing.  

That's your interpretation. Mine was a different one since Ella said something about not wanting proof because the doubt makes her belief. I took that to mean that Chloe throwing away the vile meant she didn't want to have proof because as long as she didn't have proof she could believe Lucifer was human and normal. And to me, that also means she knows at heart that something's up with Lucifer that she doesn't want to know about because she wasn't/isn't ready to. Who could blame her?!

Also, I don'r remember Chloe seeing the full Lucifer face but she has seen the eyes.

Didn't she see the Devil face early on in S1?

Agree on Amenadiel; does he have any powers at all now? Mom threw him around like a rag doll.

It didn't seem like he did.

What I find interesting is that they said Amenadiel was a fallen angel. Lucifer's one, too, or so they all believe and yet he seems to have retained his powers. Is that because Lucifer didn't become a fallen angel on earth? Did Lucifer regain his powers? If so, wouldn't he have mentioned that to Amenadiel? Is Lucifer not considered a fallen angel by dad after all? Is Amenadiel maybe not a fallen angel but dad took his powers away for a reason?

This is, by the way, why I can live with a possible romance between Chloe and Lucifer. So, so many questions and so much story to tell besides the romance.

• Love 1

Some points to maybe keep in mind.

"Mom" is supposed to be a goddess on par with "Dad" himself.  Though Amenadiel and Lucifer are powerful as archangels they are not god tier.  Mom should be able to throw her boys around like rag dolls, just like Dad could if he ever felt the need.

I don't think we should read Mom throwing Amenadiel about as he's completely powerless.  If anything Uriel's ability to kick his ass a couple episodes ago was the bigger hint.   I'd be willing to bet that Amenadiel is still stronger than your average human but whether or not he's still immortal is a good question.

• Love 4

What kind of car did maze drive?  

Will not chole keep looking for a way to nail her dad's murder. And unless that guy turns up dead. She will never quit looking for him!  Dan an accessory to a murder now.   Maybe, that was not such a great idea. 

Edited by gwhh
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

That is actually why I'm not a shipper - I just can't see them in a relationship. Not because they're so different, there are plenty of characters who are very different which I could easily see together, but there just doesn't seem to be anything there. Nothing that makes me say "come on, get your act together" and nothing that makes me grin like an idiot with little hearts in her eyes when I see them together. I love them as friends, and I love how Chloe's come around and grown fond of Lucifer, as a potential couple, they leave me kind of cold.

Yeah I'm not a shipper either and this episode convinced me of it. The courtroom delcarations of faith in each other were really well done and it's believable that both characters have come to a place of trust and friendship like that, but I don't see any romantic or sexual spark in their scenes together. I think it may partly be the way LG plays Chloe but I can't imagine them actually dating, even before Dad/Amenadiel's role in Chloe's creation comes out into the open.

Speaking of: Amenadude this attitude you've got going on is what lead to your current "fallen" status in the first place and the whining is making your extremely goodlooking self, seem very unattractive. Dr Linda being completely unsurprised and completely unsympathetic when Maze blew up his car was golden Rachael Harris has turned into such an MVP this season, as has Maze. Dr Linda, totally dealing with no longer being Beverley Hills Therapist to the Stars but therapist for Celestial Beings! For a light hearted show build around a very charismatic title character/actor this show has a wide variety of very different but interesting female characters, which is nice.

Mum has a screw loose. "If I blow up his crush he won't have any reason to stay" "If I she'll betray him, he'll come back with me" because he's always been such a good boy in the past and it's only since he met Chloe that he's rebelled against her, right?

Edited by Featherhat
spelling and adding a sentance
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Zipper said:
14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Wouldn't Dan as the principle investigator on the case revealing that the defense attorney slept with him and snooped on his phone result in a mistrial, and possibly Charlotte being disbarred?

Maybe a mistrial before the verdict came in, but after the verdict, double jeopardy would attach and no second trial.

Charlotte couldn't be stopped (or another defense attorney, if she was removed from the case for gleaning information from Dan's texts) from using the knowledge that Chloe was on the scene first in any subsequent trial.  The information is accurate, no matter how it was obtained, and provides an alternative theory of the case.  "The Fruit of the Poisonous Tree" doesn't apply to the defense.  In fact, the prosecution was under the obligation to notify the defense that the police report was inaccurate, and that Chloe had been on the scene first.  If that fact had been discovered later in the trial, the defense could have requested a mistrial.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2016 at 4:52 PM, Happy Harpy said:

I'll look forward to a Christmas episode in S3 and before that, to the show being back from hiatus...for three weeks only?

It got an order for the back 9, so there are 22 episodes now. Hopefully Mom's arc wraps up at 13, though. I wondered last night whether they would have taken this break if they hadn't gotten the back 9, though, or if they would have pushed through. I guess we'll know when we see whether there's any talk of Christmas.

• Love 1

I may be in the minority but I don't think it would be in the show's best interest to wade into any sort of Christmas episode.

The source material never touched that side of religion, it stuck strictly to the Old Testament and Milton.  Yes, I know they are not following the source material to the letter but I just don't see them going there.  For one, it doesn't fit with the mythology that the angels are Yahweh's 'sons' and second I think that would risk crossing a line into people's belief systems that the show has deliberately (and wisely) stayed away from.

• Love 4

Yeah, bringing in the "Oh, that's just Gabriel and Mary's kid" aspect from Hellblazer would have a lot more potential to ruffle feathers than the hands-off approach they've been using with regard to Yahweh. God the Father being unseen leaves more comfortable space for differing interpretations and debate, but Jesus is a much more concrete religious icon and depicting him or contradicting dogma would be a landmine.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, rainsmom said:

It got an order for the back 9, so there are 22 episodes now. Hopefully Mom's arc wraps up at 13, though. I wondered last night whether they would have taken this break if they hadn't gotten the back 9, though, or if they would have pushed through. I guess we'll know when we see whether there's any talk of Christmas.

I was alluding to APB (pitch: Pure Genius but with cops) that is supposed to take over Lucifer's timeslot. It's still scheduled to premiere on February 6th, 2017 for now. Unless they change it, we'll have 3 Lucifer episodes in January and another hiatus, then the back 9.

1 hour ago, Happy Harpy said:

I was alluding to APB (pitch: Pure Genius but with cops) that is supposed to take over Lucifer's timeslot. It's still scheduled to premiere on February 6th, 2017 for now. Unless they change it, we'll have 3 Lucifer episodes in January and another hiatus, then the back 9.

Ohhhhh. I didn't realize that. Hmmmm. But... but... I don't WANT another hiatus. All Lucifer All The Time!

• Love 4

I don't think a Lucifer/Chloe romance plotline will last, even if they go there, just because no one will want Lucifer to stop being himself (snarky, self-indulgent hedonist), and how could that possibly work in a serious adult relationship? "But, Chloe, two lines of cocaine with a three-Britney chaser is how I always go to bed at night. That doesn't mean I don't care about you!"

[Sigh] Double hiatus. That sucks.

• Love 7
On 11/29/2016 at 1:54 PM, paulusar said:

"Lots of planets have a north!" :)

On 11/30/2016 at 6:11 PM, Helena Dax said:

I'm in the "Chloe and Luci aren't siblings" team because she isn't God's daughter. I see her like Isaac, not at the same level than Jesus and the angels. 

I also ship them going through finding out what kind of ship they have. I see them as both maybe choosing the obvious romantic/physical route, or trying to, because that will seem like the most natural and easiest next step. When in fact what they are meant to be together could be something quite different and more evolved. I still found myself all up in anticipation of what looks like it'll be a non-kiss anyway. 

And: Wow. This was a powerful ep. Seemed to be more mood music than the usual array of songs that send me rushing to YouTube.  And damned funny in unexpected places! Amenadude's expression after Dr. Linda referred to Maze as a "hellion"--!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 11/29/2016 at 10:21 PM, Happy Harpy said:

So God on this show would be George R.R.Martin?

I do hope not.  There enough of his stuff in the world already. 

I guess that makes Lucy and Chole cousin in law. Because of the blessing. 

I seem to remember that, at the time Dan slept with Charlotte, Dan thought that she was the mad bomber's lawyer, not scuzzball's, since that is how she met Dan in the jail cell.

Comments?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:54 PM, paulusar said:

Lets be honest.  Do you think he would have a Canadian or French accent?  No WAY!  British is different the rouge angle accent! 

• Love 1
On 12/3/2016 at 4:41 AM, gwhh said:

Lets be honest.  Do you think he would have a Canadian or French accent?  No WAY!  British is different the rouge angle accent! 

Oh, damn... I want the Devil with a French accent... THAT would be fun to watch...
"Hon- hon- hon... "

• Love 2
On 12/5/2016 at 11:33 AM, Eneya said:

Oh, damn... I want the Devil with a French accent... THAT would be fun to watch...
"Hon- hon- hon... "

Motrticia Addams as the Devil....  That would be fun to watch!

• Love 2
On Friday, December 02, 2016 at 8:41 PM, gwhh said:

You did that deliberately just to see if anyone would notice, didn't you?

• Love 1

What kind of car did maze drive?  

A Maze-da?  {Ducking}

I loved Maze's fight.  I do not believe a stunt double was utilized for any of it.  Great stuff!

Amen's been ruined as a character.  I do appreciate that he has not reached his bottom, which might could get him back on the straight and narrow.  Then again, that ain't happening.

So Luci is head over heels with Chloe, a mortal.  How many mortals have cycled through his millennial-long existence?  Thousands.   Is he daft all of a sudden?  He expects somehow that this will last more than the relatively few seconds she will be this attractive, or even live out her natural life?  Yeah.  I know.  Some new celestial-fusion for Chloe would be invoked out of nowhere by the writers, as necessary.  Blecch.

I am psyched that we will get a significant Lucimobile scene on the next ep.

• Love 1
On 11/30/2016 at 2:30 PM, Zipper said:

Maybe a mistrial before the verdict came in, but after the verdict, double jeopardy would attach and no second trial.  This was one thing that really irked me.  Dan has come a long way, both in terms of character development and in terms of being a likeable guy-- and maybe that was a whole redemption arc intention.  But, he's apparently still the same shitbag that let his wife believe she was nuts and allowed her to be isolated/vilified within the PD because he was trying to avoid getting himself in trouble.  Now he's done it again.  For his many good points, this repeated failure to accept the consequences of his own bad behavior bothers me.  

Double jeopardy attaches long before the jury returns a verdict.  It attaches in California when the jury is empaneled and sworn in.   But, a retrial based on a mistrial is of "manifest necessity" and does not trigger the double jeopardy prohibition (just like a remand for retrial does not). Long esoteric story short: Dan risking a mistrial (or Charlotte doing the same) would have necessitated a second trial, and such trial would not violate the prohibition on double jeopardy (even though jeopardy would have attached at the empaneling and swearing of the jury.

• Love 2
On 12/8/2016 at 2:13 PM, jhlipton said:

But this is the first he has experienced while she is still alive.

And let's face it, the people he'd been meeting in Hell probably aren't that appealing from a love and caring standpoint, although I doubt he only adopted his lecherous hedonistic lifestyle upon arriving in Los Angeles. I can see Chloe being a bird of a different color when we're talking about a span of five years and all the living people he's previously met were moving through the swanky LA nightlife scene.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2

I have to say,  there is something about this show that has a really nice mix of snark and emotion, and it's one of my must watch shows.  Fingers crossed for a third season! 

OK,  now on to some thoughts.  I think "Mum" isn't Evil by her belief system.  She doesn't view humans as real beings per se,  and as such they hold no value in her mind. Humans are akin to vermin in her mind and so the idea that hurting humans is evil or bad,  particularly from the perspective that the humans go to an afterlife when dead,  could very well be beyond her comprehension. 

I wonder if Luci was,  in his own accidental way,  trying to get her to see humans has something more with his 'punishment'. Sure,  he can claim to be fulfilling his part of the deal, and that might have been his entire conscious motivation, but I do wonder about what's going on deeper inside his mind.