Type keyword(s) to search

Tyreese: Baby Carrier, Reluctant Warrior

• Start Topic

I hate what they've done to Tyrese.  I like to see some moral conflict but people can have that and still do what's needed to help protect the group.

One of the dumbest things (recently) they've had Tyrese do is give his humanity soliloquy to Sasha while she's supposed to be protecting Rick during the meeting with the Grady cops.  "Oh yes, I'm a sniper with my rifle trained on the bad guys in case they try to harm Rick but please feel free to divert my attention from the task at hand."

• Love 5

"You're the kind of guy that saves babies."

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that description of Ty.

Except Lizzie & Mika saved Judith, and Ty went along for the ride until Carol took over  Ty has turned into someone I don't understand anymore, from raging hulk to reluctant-to-kill whenever it suits his "story", didn't kill the guy who almost killed Judith and led to disaster guy.  WTF?  His moobs & nipples rival Abraham's, so I guess that's something in the starving ZA.

• Love 1

I hope he loses the hammer and picks up a gun, sword or compound bow.

No projectile weapons for Tyreese! During the ten minutes that it would take him to nerve himself to shoot, the zombie or cannibal would be too close to aim the thing at. They should just put one of those spiked Kaiser Bill helmets on Judith, so he can use her as a shanking device when inevitably cornered.

ETA: I'm not advocating anything irresponsible, of course. She'd be wearing goggles.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

I just watched the escape from Terminus and Carol reunion (the 2 best minutes - ever) and realized if not for Tyreese's lies and chickenshittedness, our folks would be in less danger from the Termites and Bob would still be alive.  Fuck you, Tyreese.  And double fuck the writers who made you this way.

• Love 1

Well, when I stop and think about it, it appears the writers really do have this new rule that all black men have to be lame. Noah gets his leg injured, FPP steps on a nail, Bob gets his leg literally chopped off and eaten, hell, even Merletone Tony was notable only for getting bullied by the other killer rapists. Tyreese, thus far, has been lucky to only get hit with a metaphor. Why do you think Morgan is so careful to keep his screentime down to a minimum?

But at least Tyreese has been around for a while. We've spent time getting to know him, and if there has to be a big useless sissy in the group, then Tyreese has earned the right to be that big useless sissy. FPP and Eugene can die any time.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

I just watched the escape from Terminus and Carol reunion (the 2 best minutes - ever) and realized if not for Tyreese's lies and chickenshittedness, our folks would be in less danger from the Termites and Bob would still be alive.  Fuck you, Tyreese.  And double fuck the writers who made you this way.

And now that my "fuck you. Ty-rade" was seen and raised ... I feel neither guilty or vindicated, and certainly not satisfied.  Oh, well, everybody dies.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Chad did a fantastic job here, especially in the last scene in the car, and in the fight scene with the second walker. This should have seemed like a bloated, ponderous farewell, but he really did make it count.

I'm still disappointed with many of the choices they made for Tyreese, but his death made a lot more sense for me than I initially expected when he was loitering over the photos. He wanted to live, but he also wanted to die. He'd clung to some hope of humanity all along, and it had led to increasingly disastrous consequences. He just couldn't do it anymore.

I do wish Karen had been there, and I wish he'd had one last scene with Sasha, but I guess the scenes they had in the last episode make more sense now.

Chad always gave strong performances even with aimless material or material that treated Tyreese as some sort of symbol. I wish him great luck in his career.

• Love 3

I just watched the escape from Terminus and Carol reunion (the 2 best minutes - ever) and realized if not for Tyreese's lies and chickenshittedness, our folks would be in less danger from the Termites and Bob would still be alive. Fuck you, Tyreese. And double fuck the writers who made you this way.

Bob died because he got bit when they went on that run to the food store. His death had nothing to do with Tyreese.
  • Love 4

I'm really sorry to see Tyreese go, I liked him.  I didn't always like what they did with the character, but he was interesting in his strengths and weaknesses.  Chad Coleman was also a great actor and owned this episode.  Great send off for the character.

• Love 2

Bob died because he got bit when they went on that run to the food store. His death had nothing to do with Tyreese.

Oops - you are so right and I was so wrong.  I sometimes embarrass myself!  :-) 

But, Bob would've died with BOTH his boots on if Ty hadn't lied about killing Martin - as if that even matters. 

I guess the writers were trying to tell us Ty had some noble "thou shall not kill" thing going on, but his story just wasn't fleshed out (sorry, pun) enough for me.  Until the very end, when they tried to cram it all into his goodbye death scenes.  The actor did more than enough with the role that was written for him, and I'll miss his big ole teddy bear self - but not his nasty knit cap.

• Love 3
I guess the writers were trying to tell us Ty had some noble "thou shall not kill" thing going on, but his story just wasn't fleshed out (sorry, pun) enough for me.

It was more than just the Thou Shall Not Kill. It was his inability to at least see that some humans are evil and they need to be dealt with in a certain way in the 'new world zombie order'. Martin didn't necessarily have to be killed, per say. Tyreese is a big dude. He could've beat the crap out of Martin enough to turn his face into some pulp, and make him very weak, and then properly tie him up so he couldn't escape, do any harm. Therefore no longer a threat. Then when Carol wanted to check up on Martin, she goes it and takes cares of business. Ty didn't necessarily need to kill the guy. Just do a bit of damage, which he could not do either. But he also hesitated on killing zombies, who are incredibly dangerous was a problem too. That's how I see it, just my opinion.

• Love 3

If a cannibalistic (OK they didn't know that part) guy who threatens to snap a baby's neck doesn't need killing ... he at least needs to be taken out of the equation.

And yes, there was the time where a zombie was getting too close to the little girls, and Ty "couldn't go there yet" - Carol had to save the day, again. 

I get the internal conflict, but seriously, one has to wonder about self preservation and the instinct to protect babies and little kids (and your friends & family) at any cost.  In the ZA, there comes a time when you must kill, or die.  Ty died (ooh, an inadvertent hippie t-shirt pun!).

• Love 3

I agree that Bob's death wasn't Tyrese's fault, but Tyrese still should have killed Martin.  I mean, he almost fed him to the walkers and tried to kill an innocent baby!  He didn't deserve Tyrese's pity.

That being said, it made me sad to see Tyrese's hat adorning the makeshift cross. RIP.

• Love 2

It was more than just the Thou Shall Not Kill. It was his inability to at least see that some humans are evil and they need to be dealt with in a certain way in the 'new world zombie order'

I don't think Tyreese had an inability to see evil and that it should be dealt with. He agreed with the execution of Lizzie. Tyreese's issue seemed to be personally pulling the trigger. Now I wonder if when Tyreese stopped Carol from going in and finishing Martin if he had already let Martin escape Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 2

I don't think Tyreese had an inability to see evil and that it should be dealt with. He agreed with the execution of Lizzie. Tyreese's issue seemed to be personally pulling the trigger. Now I wonder if when Tyreese stopped Carol from going in and finishing Martin if he had already let Martin escape

I totally agree. He hard a hard time with pulling the trigger/stabbing with the knife of whatever, but he still could've beat the shit out of Martin. Dude's still alive, but in a seriously bad way, therefore not able to attack Judith or anyone else. I guess it just fits with the big burly bear overall - just a sweetheart that wouldn't hurt a fly. The problem is that the current world is a honeytrap and will find a way to kill you (or at least destroy you) if you let it.

• Love 1

I totally agree. He hard a hard time with pulling the trigger/stabbing with the knife of whatever, but he still could've beat the shit out of Martin. Dude's still alive, but in a seriously bad way, therefore not able to attack Judith or anyone else. I guess it just fits with the big burly bear overall - just a sweetheart that wouldn't hurt a fly. The problem is that the current world is a honeytrap and will find a way to kill you (or at least destroy you) if you let it.

he did beat Martin. Granted not to the point of disabling him but Martin's ass looked pretty beat LOL
  • Love 1

I loved Tyreese, and I hoped until the end that he would somehow live.  I don't think he was ever going to get over what happened in The Grove, and nothing was going to turn him into Rick/Abraham/Sasha/Michonne, hacking the Termites into tiny pieces.  I'm sad we were cheated out of seeing Carol's reaction to his death.  I'm going to miss the scenes between Judith and Tyreese, the little baby actress really seemed to love him.

• Love 1

The Walking Dead, where graduates from The Wire go to die.  I wonder when Carver...ummm...Gabriel's time will be up.  Looking forward to McNulty in season 6 lol.  Or maybe Bunk.

Farewell Tyreese/Cutty.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

Well, when I stop and think about it, it appears the writers really do have this new rule that all black men have to be lame.

As soon as it was determined that Noah's family was dead and would be joining them, Tyreese's minutes were numbered (since FPP wasn't in the episode). When I realized that he was (A) driving the car and (B) we were getting backstory on him, the writing was on the wall. Jesus, Show, can't you mix up your methods a bit?

I mean, unless I've got the timelines wrong:

T-dog and Tyreese are in the group

Bob turns up.

Tdog dies

Gabriel turns up

Bob dies

Noah turns up

Tyreese dies.

I sense a disturbing pattern!!

Should I conclude that it was the universe or Tyreese's own subconscious which called bullshit on his epic love with Karen since she wasn't there to usher him into the light? ;)

Edited by NoWillToResist

I mean, unless I've got the timelines wrong:

T-dog and Tyreese are in the group

Bob turns up.

Tdog dies

Gabriel turns up

Bob dies

Noah turns up

Tyreese dies.

I sense a disturbing pattern!!

The actual timeline goes

We lose Morgan, gain T-dog

T-dog dies, Oscar formally joins the group

Oscar dies

Tyreese formally joins the group a few episodes later after Woodbury is busted

Bob shows up

Father Gabriel meets up

Bob dies

Noah joins the group

Tyreese dies

• Love 2

The actual timeline goes

We lose Morgan, gain T-dog

T-dog dies, Oscar formally joins the group

Oscar dies

Tyreese formally joins the group a few episodes later after Woodbury is busted

Bob shows up

Father Gabriel meets up

Bob dies

Noah joins the group

Tyreese dies

Wait, who's Oscar? Jesus, I'm terrible with names...

I remember Axel but I have no recollection at all of Oscar. Wow. This is embarrassing! :)

Haha! Oscar lives in my memory for finding some slippers and getting all happy, but getting wtf looks from Daryl and Carl. "What's that for?" "You know, end of the day, relaxing" (this is when they were going through the prison and after this, Daryl finds Carol's knife in a walker and then finds her alive hidden behind a door)

He was killed when they went to Woodbury to rescue Glenn and Maggie. He was shot while helping get them over the wall. Then, Maggie? gave him the head shot.

• Love 2

Haha! Oscar lives in my memory for finding some slippers and getting all happy, but getting wtf looks from Daryl and Carl. "What's that for?" "You know, end of the day, relaxing" (this is when they were going through the prison and after this, Daryl finds Carol's knife in a walker and then finds her alive hidden behind a door)

He was killed when they went to Woodbury to rescue Glenn and Maggie. He was shot while helping get them over the wall. Then, Maggie? gave him the head shot.

It was so sad when Axel was crying He was my friend! He protected me from Tomas'!

Andrew Lincoln talked about how blown away he was by Vincent Ward delivering that line about so you just do what you gotta do.

I would have enjoyed more Axel and Oscar (and less Eugene/Abraham/Rosita).

• Love 3

Apparently there was a couple. The female asked the male where she knew Chad from as he looked familiar. The male replied that they didn't know that n word. Chad lost it. 

• Love 2

Anybody ELSE reminded of the scene in Star Trek IV where Kirk has a run-in with a 20th-century cabbie...?

Cabbie: Hey! Why don't ya watch where you're going, ya dumbass!

Kirk: Well, ahhh... Double dumbass on YOU!

• Love 2

I was taught growing up that "Sticks and stones etc." People get called names all the time, and don't usually start screaming like raving lunatics in public, especially these days when they KNOW they're being filmed and this kind of display might not be best for the future of their careers. I don't know if I would want to hire a mature man who is so lacking in self control that he goes ballistic over a name.

• Love 3