Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: And the Fangs of Death

I think I'm liking the team all together better this season, this episode really had each character play a needed role in saving the day, and I liked seeing Charlene and also having Jenkins more involved. I've always liked Flynn, so I'm glad to see him in more episodes this season. But they have balanced it better than the first season, especially. 

The good vs evil thing has been done, but I do love Ancient Egyptian stuff, so I'm liking this version of things.. especially tying it in with the history of the library. I was expecting this to be the- get rid of Anubis and the werewolves turn back, but I suppose that would have been too easy.

I did love the ending with Ezekiel and the ball, Jake is one of my favorite characters, especially when he doesn't have to be so serious.

• Love 2

I found this one kind of boring.  You bring back Jane Curtin and have her in like one scene. Charlene is an awesome character and to have her be the first Guardian is a great reveal.  I hope she shows up later in the season and it has a big impact on Bairds storyline. 

• Love 2

^^ I suspect Jane Curtin's schedule was what limited them to only having Charlene in one scene. Isn't she on another show?

Not quite sure what I feel about this one. It was so very Doctor Who that it leaves me wondering what show I'm watching. Combine that with the evil Ancient Egyptian gods and it feels more like a Doctor Who/Stargate mashup than it does The Librarians of previous seasons.

But it seems that the first and last episodes of the season are generally arc-heavy, with the middle episodes more case of the week. So we'll see what next week brings (what with Cassandra finding the Shikon no Tama and all. What's that, I'm the only Inuyasha fan here? OK, I'll shut up now)

I did like seeing a more mature Ezekiel in this - he's come a long way from the first season. I still personally hold to the theory that he does indeed remember all that happened in The Point of Salvation. Also got a kick out of the scene with Jake and the ball at the end. I would be happy if that became a bit of a recurring gag.

Still not a big Flynn fan, and though they did a decent job of balancing screen time for everyone Flynn still managed to irk me, I'm personally glad to have him gone for however long. I think I read NW is in 7 of 10 eps this season.

More Eve and Jenkins, please!

Didn't Ezekiel get bitten on the leg only to end up with a bite on his upper arm?

He got bit twice.

Flynn was beyond insufferable this episode. First, he withholds vital information from everyone, including Eve. Then he risks everyone's life by haphazardly going to the infirmary to see Charlene's remains (I knew the good guy was a goner when he promised his girlfriend he would be back). Finally, when he thinks Charlene is really dead, he mopes around like the self centered brat he is and refuses to help formulate any plan. And yet he saves the day, again. What the heck?!

Love the Canadian accents. Knew the Canadian guard was possessed by Asep when she let them in with little fuss.

• Love 2

Ah, so it is time for the obligatory "Find a mission to have Flynn disappear for a bit, because he's only going to be in a limited amount of episodes!" moment.  Hunting down Charlene is as good of a reason as any!  Glad she made a brief appearance.  Jane Curtin was having fun in her one scene. And as much as I enjoy Flynn, I'm glad this means the next few episodes will go back to focusing on Baird and the Librarians.

Baird and Jenkins teaming up was fun.  Enjoyed Jenkins using his immortality to their advantage, even if he can still feel pain.

I wonder how long Ezekiel will have side effects over the whole "almost turned into a werewolf" thing.  I guess we'll find out once he no longer chases after the ball Jake is apparently carrying with him!

This really did feel like a straight-up Doctor Who episode, at times.  I definitely think Who is a big influence on this show normally, but they went all out on this one.

I'm not sure what was the biggest trope/cliche/stereotype of this episode: the black guy being the first to go or the Irish guy always drinking.  Actually, the winner goes to the over-the-top Canadian accents!

• Love 2

I was uncomfortable with Charlene using magic to trick the (hot) men into serving her. Why couldn't they be serving her because she's a fabulous, older woman? It is equally creepy as a man doing it to nubile women. I'm not looking for social commentary from the Librarians, but I am hoping that future episodes don't have this level of ickiness. 

I still hate Cassandra's twee wardrobe.

Edited by Lawgiver
  • Love 4

From the way Flynn was talking I got the impression the men were assassins out to kill Charlene and she turned the tables by putting a whammy on them but you're right, from a certain perspective it IS kind of icky.

• Love 1

I just got to watch it and, yes, the resemblance to 2 Dr. Who stories, in particular, was unmistakable. Not sure of the titles but one involved being stuck on a spaceship and being drawn into the sun, and the other was a different enclosed environment and had Satan. Or a big glowing devil creature, anyway. I didn't like this episode any more than I liked those.

On 11/28/2016 at 0:34 PM, ganesh said:

Does this show take place in the same universe as Doctor Who? Because this is a Doctor Who episode.

It may be in the same Doctor Who universe because I remember seeing a TARDIS in one of the season 2's episode. Obviously, quite a number of things (including the music) are ripped off from DW series, but I don't mind it, as long as we get the librarians.

I am kind of glad Flynn would be taking a break because I really miss just the three librarians + Baird working together. It's more fun when they don't have an expert to guide them and they have to figure things out for themselves. This may be an unpopular opinion but I adore Ezekiel, I wish they give him more to do each episode. My favorite of the series is probably the one where they were trapped in the video game loop.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1

Well besides having one of the producers being Johnathan Frakes the show has some fans of The Who franchise so I can see them copying it a bit.  This episode did it a bit shamelessly but not surprisingly.   All science fiction shows do at least a few trapped a location with hostile creatures stories.   

Flynn didn't eat the show again, which is a good thing. I hope we see Charlene again; except for a few minutes in the Pilot, this was my introduction to her. I would like to see some scenes with Charlene and Baird. I also thought that Jones was a bit less annoying than usual.

• Love 1

I like Flynn.  I enjoy his brand of crazy -- even though I'm with Ezekiel in being happy to see him be wrong (if that won't mean the end of the world).  I enjoy the show without him, but that's only because I also really like the other characters just as much as I do Flynn.  It's a pleasure to watch a show where I like all the characters.  It doesn't matter who they feature, I love to watch them all.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2016 at 10:40 PM, snuffles said:

Knew the Canadian guard was possessed by Asep when she let them in with little fuss.

At first I thought it was just a really bad joke about Canadians, so I was relieved when it was Apep.

On 11/30/2016 at 9:43 AM, Lawgiver said:

I was uncomfortable with Charlene using magic to trick the (hot) men into serving her. Why couldn't they be serving her because she's a fabulous, older woman? It is equally creepy as a man doing it to nubile women. I'm not looking for social commentary from the Librarians, but I am hoping that future episodes don't have this level of ickiness. 

I still hate Cassandra's twee wardrobe.

Given that they were supposed to be horrible terrorists who performed human sacrifices, I had no trouble with her magicking them. And since, to me anyway, it seemed like G rated "servicing", I didn't feel it was particularly icky (whether or not they were compelled to do it).

I was expecting the gate guard would be killed along with Apep, given the foreshadowing when they said an immortal can be killed when they are inside a human. But of course, Apep will be a season long arc.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1