Type keyword(s) to search

Politics in Entertainment

This is something of a twinned topic to what's going on in the Politics in the Media thread.  That thread is for discussion of how our new political reality is affecting news and information outlets, how new outside pressures, or self-censoring, or dirty tricks, new laws and regulation, or other factors are changing that.

This is for how those same kinds of pressures are changing our Entertainment. Our non-informational TV shows, our Movies, etc. Also, like in Politics in the Media, monitoring those changes, watchdogging them you might say, and trying our best to put stuff out there to stop those changes (if we think them wrong, I mean). 

How might this manifest itself in our Entertainment?  Well it could be in a lot of ways. For example, it's a common theme in a lot of Entertainment to have an underprivileged character put down by the system freed/cleared through action of protagonists. And there are plenty of other plots about crusading/social justice/protesting in vogue--some of it in reaction to movements like Occupy, but others which have just bubbled up.

Just this week, the Hayley Atwell show "Conviction" had a plot where a black protester was in jail for supposedly shooting a cop during a protest, and ultimately the show revealed her as innocent. It didn't totally soft-peddle her activism, but was at least neutral enough about it that it didn't villainize her.

So the question... if that same episode of TV was produced a year from now would it have the same plot? The same neutrality on the social crusader/protester? 

TV has always had shows which simply showed lots of brown people as drug dealers and baddies. Will we suddenly be seeing an upswing in shows like that? Will we get a new wave of shows about the hard unglamorous life of border patrol agents for example? Mind you, we've probably HAD shows like that in the past few years, but will the balance shift so that's ALL we are getting and shows about the little guy fighting, about underdogs, about fighting injustices... all... fade away...

Opinions? Other concerns? Info about other effects of the new shift in power and alignments in our country, be they overt OR subtle are having on our Entertainment?

Please post it all here!!!

Edited by Kromm

Interesting. This happened in the UK when the Tories took over. A bunch of reality shows based on benefit claimants and the poor popped up. Which turned into a huge issue about exploitation.

Some production company also wanted to do a show about a street which now has a lot of immigrants. But the residents fought back. Many refused to participate and shut down production by making lots of noise during filming.

So yes, look out for reality shows. You could suddenly see shows about "welfare queens", or something set in an abortion clinic.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 1

I think you'll always get TV shows that go for the easy target. Those benefit claimant shows are really the culmination of years of demonising people on benefits. In the UK, there has long been a desire to paint all people on benefits as lazy scroungers, ripping off the honest, hardworking people. And sometimes it's true, but sometimes it isn't. What those shows do is provide people with anecdotal evidence that their opinions are right. They legitimise them, much as the tabloid press do when they print stories about a person on benefits being a criminal or a fraud.

But what you also get, particularly in independent outlets like Channel 4 and American movie studios, is a counter-culture approach to the situation. 'You think this is true? I'm going to show you otherwise.' I'd guess that the vast majority of people who work in the entertainment industries, at least in the creative side of it, are liberal. And when your country is making you angry, it's great to have an avenue through which to express that anger. They always say that satirists thrive under right wing governments, and I think it's true. I think of the satirical TV shows and political cartoons that always seem much funnier and sharper when they're mocking someone like Dubya or Thatcher or David Cameron, than when they had Obama or Gordon Brown as the political figureheads (Tony Blair fits more with the former group, due to his idiosyncratic, almost autocratic personality).

In the case of Trump's presidency, I think that scripted entertainment will be much more likely to push back against him and his vision of America. Because the writers will want to, and the actors will want to. But I do think there will probably be more reality stuff celebrating 'middle America' and the conservative values they claim to hold.

‘Alt-Right’ Trumpsters Discover True Meaning of ‘Star Wars,’ Wage #DumpStarWars Campaign

You see, the blockbuster movie, due in theaters Dec. 16, shares many of the franchise’s anti-fascism themes, and back in November, Rogue One writer Chris Weitz tweeted: “Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human organization),” to which co-writer Gary Whitta replied, “Opposed by a multi-cultural group led by brave women.”

745lYws.png

• Love 6
On 12/9/2016 at 8:33 AM, Duke Silver said:

These trolls pulled the same shit with The Force Awakens last year, calling it "anti-White propaganda" because it has a Black main character-which not only backfired, it's currently the third-highest grossing film of all time. That these idiots didn't get the nazi (I refuse to capitalize/legitimize/normalize them) metaphors in the previous films proves that they're even dumber than the Orange-Tinted Turd who's their Lord & Master-if that's possible. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I didn't see it live. but just watched NBC's version of Hairspray.

It's a show filled with fairly heavy truth-bombs about race, tolerance, "changing times", etc.

I find myself wondering if this production would have aired a year later, and if the "we're past those times of intolerance" talking segments would even be in a broadcast at that time.

As it stands now, post-Trumplection, they wound up sounding IRONIC in what we saw in this broadcast. 

• Love 1

Does Kanye's visit to Trump Tower qualify as "Entertainment"? :)  He & Trump are "old friends"...good grief, I guess they can bond over their money :)  Is Kanye going to show up as the "entertainment" at the Inaguaration?  Everybody laughed when Kanye said he wanted to run for President, well, Trump as President is just as crazy. 

• Love 3

I think Twitler wants Kanye to use his "influence" in getting top-tier names for the entertainment portion of the inaugurations.  And poor Kanye is probably sick enough to want to believe he still has that kind of power and relevance to do so.  Do either of these folks believe that Beyoncé can be coerced into performing?  Jennifer Hudson?  Mariah Carey?  Yeah.  No.  Well, maybe Mariah.  I have no idea what her political beliefs are.  Or if she even has any.  The call of money might be stronger than her beliefs.  But yeah, no one I admire as an entertainer will show up, hopefully.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I appreciate this but wish it was updated. So many of the comments were made back in March and all before the election. 

I do too, but it's better than nothing. And it also shows just how many people didn't take them seriously either. It's scary to see just how many people bought into what Drumpf was selling.

• Love 2

Looks like the Orange Buffoon is having difficulty finding anyone other than crowd pleasers like Ted ("there's never been a 14 y.o. girl I wouldn't bang") Nugent to entertain at his Coronation, errr, I mean Inauguration.  Personally, I don't give AF.  I won't watch any of it; I am begging friends & family to not watch either.  I want viewership to be down.

B2yv8Xa.png

Report: Trump Trying to Bribe Bookers to Snag Pro-Clinton Singers

• Love 7
18 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Green Day nailed how Trump manipulated people.

Billie Joe has been a voice against Tubby for quite a while. A Sirius DJ quoted from an article about their upcoming album and tour that Trey talked about his drums, Mike addressed his bass and Billie Joe said that Trump is Hitler.

I listened to their recent Boston HoB concert and they ended with him exhorting the audience to " vote for fucking respect!" Over and over. Brought a smile to my face.

August Variety interview.

'Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong Calls Donald Trump ‘F—ing Hitler’

'“I don’t even know how else to explain it,” he continued. “I wish I were over-exaggerating. And sometimes maybe I do over-exaggerate with Bush. But with Trump, I just can’t wait ’til he’s gone.”

Armstrong’s choice words didn’t stop there. He also said “the worst problem I see about Trump is who his followers are.”

“I actually feel bad for them, because they’re poor, working-class people who can’t get a leg up. They’re pissed off and he’s preyed on their anger,” he added.

Armstrong’s political jabs date back to the George W. Bush administration; Green Day’s 2004 album “American Idiot,” and it’s songs “American Idiot” and “Holiday” directly addressed his presidency.

(He should stick with dark hair.)

• Love 7
1 minute ago, NewDigs said:

Billie Joe has been a voice against Tubby for quite a while. A Sirius DJ quoted from an article about their upcoming album and tour that Trey talked about his drums, Mike addressed his bass and Billie Joe said that Drumpf is Hitler.

I listened to their recent Boston HoB concert and they ended with him exhorting the audience to " vote for fucking respect!" Over and over. Brought a smile to my face.

August Variety interview.

'Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong Calls Donald Drumpf ‘F—ing Hitler’

'“I don’t even know how else to explain it,” he continued. “I wish I were over-exaggerating. And sometimes maybe I do over-exaggerate with Bush. But with Drumpf, I just can’t wait ’til he’s gone.”

Armstrong’s choice words didn’t stop there. He also said “the worst problem I see about Drumpf is who his followers are.”

“I actually feel bad for them, because they’re poor, working-class people who can’t get a leg up. They’re pissed off and he’s preyed on their anger,” he added.

Armstrong’s political jabs date back to the George W. Bush administration; Green Day’s 2004 album “American Idiot,” and it’s songs “American Idiot” and “Holiday” directly addressed his presidency.

(He should stick with dark hair.)

Yea he was speaking out similarly against Bush. I'm glad that they're keeping it up. Best thing he can do is to hold their feet to the fire.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Duke Silver said:

Looks like the Orange Buffoon is having difficulty finding anyone other than crowd pleasers like Ted ("there's never been a 14 y.o. girl I wouldn't bang") Nugent to entertain at his Coronation, errr, I mean Inauguration.  Personally, I don't give AF.  I won't watch any of it; I am begging friends & family to not watch either.  I want viewership to be down.

B2yv8Xa.png

Report: Trump Trying to Bribe Bookers to Snag Pro-Clinton Singers

Ha bribing bookers with ambassadorships! Yep that's our President elect.

• Love 2

Teenage classical singer Jackie Evancho (she was a winner or finalist in a previous season of America's Got Talent) is apparently singing The Star Spangled Banner at the inauguration, & may (it's not confirmed yet) be singing with Italian classical singer Andrea Bocelli at the inauguration (if it happens, I'd bet they'll be singing The Prayer; that's Bocelli's best-known/most famous duet). This is according to multiple sources. She apparently performed at Trump's Mar-A-Lago estate when she was younger (though she's only 16 now); there's a pic of her with Trump, apparently at whatever that event was, in the article linked below. The same article also says that Bocelli is apparently 1 of Trump's favorites & he's apparently been to his concerts before (I didn't expect Trump to like, say, Barry Manilow... For a lot of reasons, going back a number of years... Just saying).

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/jackie-evancho-sing-national-anthem-trump-inauguration-article-1.2910459

NBC News also Tweeted, earlier today, their Washington DC affiliate says DC marching bands are "sitting out" the inaugural parade. And I can't find the links now, but I read, like, yesterday that Garth Brooks & another performer won't be performing in inaugural events either. If/when I find the links, I'll post. They join Elton John, who was said last month not to be performing in inaugural events because he was a big Hillary Clinton supporter during the election.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Teenage classical singer Jackie Evancho (she was a winner or finalist in a previous season of America's Got Talent) is apparently singing The Star Spangled Banner at the inauguration, & may (it's not confirmed yet) be singing with Italian classical singer Andrea Bocelli at the inauguration (if it happens, I'd bet they'll be singing The Prayer; that's Bocelli's best-known/most famous duet). This is according to multiple sources. She apparently performed at Trump's Mar-A-Lago estate when she was younger (though she's only 16 now); there's a pic of her with Trump, apparently at whatever that event was, in the article linked below. The same article also says that Bocelli is apparently 1 of Trump's favorites & he's apparently been to his concerts before (I didn't expect Trump to like, say, Barry Manilow... For a lot of reasons, going back a number of years... Just saying).

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/jackie-evancho-sing-national-anthem-trump-inauguration-article-1.2910459

NBC News also Tweeted, earlier today, their Washington DC affiliate says DC marching bands are "sitting out" the inaugural parade. And I can't find the links now, but I read, like, yesterday that Garth Brooks & another performer won't be performing in inaugural events either. If/when I find the links, I'll post. They join Elton John, who was said last month not to be performing in inaugural events because he was a big Hillary Clinton supporter during the election.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2016/music/news/trump-inauguration-kanye-west-garth-brooks-1201941134/amp/

Here's one source for you!

• Love 1

I'm sure Twitler will wind up with 1 or 2 more biggish names. Ultimately the pot will be too sweet for some to turn down, or they will relish the chance to be the biggest name there, or whatever. 

Im sure some performers can also rationalize it as performing for the POTUS (abstractly) vs supporting Trump, or whatever. 

If they do, they will eternally have to live down the embarrassment after the Reanimated Cheeto gets impeached or resigns in disgrace or dies while taking a dump in the Oval Office or whatever. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, BBDi said:

I'm sure Twitler will wind up with 1 or 2 more biggish names. Ultimately the pot will be too sweet for some to turn down, or they will relish the chance to be the biggest name there, or whatever. 

Im sure some performers can also rationalize it as performing for the POTUS (abstractly) vs supporting Drumpf, or whatever. 

If they do, they will eternally have to live down the embarrassment after the Reanimated Cheeto gets impeached or resigns in disgrace or dies while taking a dump in the Oval Office or whatever. 

Yep and once the list comes out, onto finding out who NOT to listen to.

Just double checked, it seems as if Garth won't be performing there.

I don't know if this is correct place to post this, but I just saw this season 15 episode of Law & Order: SVU that is ostensibly inspired Anthony Weiner. For point of reference, the show is currently on season 18. In the end, the show's Anthony Weiner character is caught sexting a 15 year old girl. I cannot believe that Anthony Weiner would be caught doing the same thing 3 years later. It's almost like Weiner watched the episode and thought "that's a great idea."

• Love 4

Music producer David Foster (he's also the recording artist behind the Love Theme From St. Elmo's Fire & did the popular duet The Best of Me with Olivia Newton-John, from his self-titled album, not 1 of hers) was supposedly invited to produce, &/or perhaps otherwise participate in, the inauguration. He politely declined (he's also Canadian, at least by birth, which might've been a factor in his declining the offer).

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/17/david-foster-politely-declined-invite-role-donald-trump-inauguration?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

• Love 4

Twitler's team may think that Kanye West can deliver them Bey. Also dear Kanye, I remember your 'George Bush doesn't care about black people' comment, so with that in mind I have some bad news about the Oompa Loompa you met at Trump Tower...

• Love 5
On 12/18/2016 at 5:00 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

Twitler's team may think that Kanye West can deliver them Bey.

Kanye was just released from a 5150 hold so I can see him trying, but Beyonce will NEW PHONE WHO DIS? him. Donald certainly is obsessed with Beyonce and Jay Z though. When they performed for Hillary, he didn't shut up about it for two weeks. It kills him that the A List wants nothing to do with him. Don't feel bad, Donnie! You'll always have Nugent and Antonio Sabato, Jr.!

• Love 4

If Andrea Bocelli was going to perform, he's not now. There were stories he backed out due to his fans' reaction, but Trump team says the lying media is reporting it wrong and they're just great friends but it never got to where Trump asked him to perform so he didn't decline.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

If Andrea Bocelli was going to perform, he's not now. There were stories he backed out due to his fans' reaction, but Trump team says the lying media is reporting it wrong and they're just great friends but it never got to where Trump asked him to perform so he didn't decline.

YXtORnf.gif

• Love 2

DJs? hahahahahahahah  hahahahahahha

Had a fam converstion this evening and admitted that I might have to watch this steaming pile of shit. Only one in family so far.

Morbid fascination.

Wonder how many will travel from far and wide. Other than protesters.

• Love 1

I wonder if the Star Spangled Singers will let Chachi join in a chorus or two?  And no Ted Nugent?  I'm shocked!  That's going to be an awesome night - one no one will ever remember forget.  I can't wait to read about it the next day.  Heh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The Beach Boys are saying they've been asked to perform at the inauguration festivities. They've also said they have not made a decision on accepting/declining yet.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beach-boys-considering-invitation-perform-at-trump-inauguration-958829

There is only one of the original BB's now touring (Mike Love) and an early replacement (Bruce Johnston).  Mike Love is a bit of an asshole and a Republican so I can see this happening.  Of course the the current line-up is one step away from being a legacy band which is not exactly first string as far as wowing the masses for this inauguration.  But, the good news is that rumours have it that Chachi will be playing drums for the night.  THAT should up the ticket requests, dontcha think?  Hello...can you hear me...is anyone out there?

Edited by onthebrink03
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, onthebrink03 said:

There is only one of the original BB's now touring (Mike Love) and an early replacement (Bruce Johnston).  Mike Love is a bit of an asshole and a Republican so I can see this happening.  Of course the the current line-up is one step away from being a legacy band which is not exactly first string as far as wowing the masses for this inauguration.  But, the good news is that rumours have it that Chachi will be playing drums for the night.  THAT should up the ticket requests, dontcha think?  Hello...can you hear me...is anyone out there?

If it does, both my mom and I won't listen to any of their music again.

• Love 3

Celine Dion was reportedly asked (& virtually guaranteed, by Las Vegas casino-resort mogul Steve Wynn... Who does not own the Las Vegas casino-resort at which she's the resident entertainment headliner) to perform at the inauguration. She declined. (Whew... I'd have hated to have to give up listening to her music). Her declining probably has to do, besides with having good taste, with the facts that she's Canadian (although her 3 sons are American by birth) & her frequent musical collaborator & fellow Canadian, David Foster, also was asked & declined.

http://www.naughtygossip.com/boom/celine-dion-turns-down-performing-at-donald-trumps-inauguration

• Love 8