Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E06: Party Anthem Week

• Start Topic

I'm continually super impressed by Amy, and I don't get the desire for the judges to show her what for with the scores. It's not just "spirit," it's the impressive athleticism, musicality, and performance ability that allows her to do these dances on stilts, more or less, and have them turn out as amazing as they do. From her performance level, you can tell she's a natural dancer, and if she had full range of motion through her feet I think she'd be nailing everything. And in a world where Nene gets 9s, Amy definitely gets one or two 10s, especially from the judges that tend to focus more on performance level and musicality. (Bruno, guest judges.) 

I'm continually super impressed by Amy, and I don't get the desire for the judges to show her what for with the scores. It's not just "spirit," it's the impressive athleticism, musicality, and performance ability that allows her to do these dances on stilts, more or less, and have them turn out as amazing as they do. From her performance level, you can tell she's a natural dancer, and if she had full range of motion through her feet I think she'd be nailing everything. And in a world where Nene gets 9s, Amy definitely gets one or two 10s, especially from the judges that tend to focus more on performance level and musicality. (Bruno, guest judges.) 

I don't think it's a desire to show her what for, I think it's a desire to have her scored equally with the other contestants. And if they're not going to score her equally with the other contestants, then they need to at least hold standard when they downgrade people for errors or for breaking the rules. Amy should've been downgraded for the lift in the waltz during Disney week at the very least. She's had a few other issues that have been pretty glaring. It isn't that she's not doing well, it's that she's not doing as well as her scores suggest. By not dropping her scores and penalizing her for that sort of thing, they are making her scoring about "spirit" rather than about dance ability.

I don't know if I think she should be third in overall points right now. If you dismiss the guest judges, Amy has 156 points which is only sits behind Meryl (164) and Charlie (158). I get the whole scoring based on expectations resulting in high scores in the first week because she's an inspiration, but after that you've already seen that she can dance so the shock is gone, how about starting to score her with a little more balance?

I guess for me, admittedly casual viewer, I've never seen the judging to be all that balanced. And I don't have any expectations that it will be, if it was, Meryl and Nene would never have a week where they finish with the same scores. James' contemporary performance was pretty good but did it seem perfect across the board to me? Eh. (though also admittedly, I was distracted by the terrible arrangement if the song.) So Amy's scores don't stick out to me at all as any more or less fair than anyone else's. It's not like there's a clear formula for scoring dances, and in the end they don't seem to matter that much, except to give people something to debate about on the Internet. ;)

But I think it's perfectly fine for people to discuss the mechanics of her feet and legs and how they work in the dance, including any "advantages". That's all part of the discussion and shouldn't be off limits.

I don't think anyone has suggested it should be off-limits. CED9 was just expressing the opinion that the idea of a person's prosthetic being considered an advantage in an athletic competition is ill-informed.

• Love 2

If you have separate standards, you have no standards. As a viewer, I had to swallow TPTB scoring shenanigans a long time ago. Doesn't mean I likes it.

For whatever reason, I've managed to swallow the ridiculous concept where all scores aren't created equal. I can accept that a 9 for Meryl requires more than a 9 for Nene. It's silly and pointless and intellectually I know that it doesn't make sense. Maybe part of it this season is because if everyone were being scored to the same expectations, I know we'd be hearing a lot more complaining from contestants and pros about Meryl and Charlie. That kind of animosity and drama isn't really fun for me to watch. But weirdly, while I can stomach things being different on the positive side, I can't accept them being different on the negative. Contestants should all be penalized in the same manner and in reality a lot of those things are actually penalizing the pro. If you're going to deduct from one contestant for lifts/breaking hold/lack of content/a dance not actually being the dance assigned, then you need to penalize all of them. I guess what I'm saying is that I can accept a sliding scale on performance and to a degree the technical abilities, I can't accept that the basic rules being applied to differently to different contestants. That doesn't just apply to Amy for me, either, though she has gotten more rope than others on that front IMO.
  • Love 2

If you have separate standards, you have no standards.  As a viewer, I had to swallow TPTB scoring shenanigans a long time ago.  Doesn't mean I likes it.

Well, in golf, there is handicapping, which allows players of different skills levels to compete against each other.  This is basically the same principle (though not as objectively numbers-driven).  Anything that is "judged" has the potential for bias and subjective scoring regardless.

Well, in golf, there is handicapping, which allows players of different skills levels to compete against each other.  This is basically the same principle (though not as objectively numbers-driven).  Anything that is "judged" has the potential for bias and subjective scoring regardless.

All true.

However, the "handicap" is assigned before play, not after.   Handicaps can change, but everyone knows before a stipulated round begins what it will be for that round.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
(edited)
Knowing nothing of dance other than what I have learned on this show and SYTYCD, can someone tell me what the "feather" dance/move thing Maks did was. Len mentioned it. I even went back and watched again and I could not figure it out.

Following up on this question. Yes, there was a Foxtrot "Feather" in their Tango this week. It was in the middle section. It's a "slow-quick-quick" move with a rise on the "quick quick"  It's more of a sweeping action. Tango is normally danced all with bent knees and is more sharp. You can see in the middle there's a moment of smoothness as they work in the feather.  I thought it was brilliant!  I don't watch this show much, but I know Len is very old school and all about rules, so I was a little surprised he liked that.

(Removing link because I just noticed Flick posted it).  As Flick said, it's here: http://youtu.be/cgpDN-nDoP0?t=4m38s

What I can't believe is they did.. what.. 8 pivots in a row towards the end? Holy crap!  Amazing!

ETA: I can't believe James scored so high. His footwork was an absolute mess! That was terrible!

Edited by LadyArcadia
  • Love 3