Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Bemily

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Not that I care one way or another, live your life as your best self, but why has no one else mentioned here that Ashley is a male transitioning to female and she was asking Kyle to be there as her support while going thru the upcoming "changes". I don't think Kyle will be strong enough person to this for her.

• Love 3

Ashley being trans was very much mentioned in the last couple of episodes, Ashley suddenly being the love of Kyle's life after his pursuit of and rejection by Sierra, definitely caught the viewers' eyes. A lot of Kyle's story seems suspicious. I've posted before how he seems to have lived an exceptionally packed life for his age, if he is to be believed, When he joined the boat as a 'green' deckhand, he had a child of almost 2 years that he was supporting, he came out onstage in 2011, and he revealed maybe 2 episodes ago that Ashley is trans and the love of his life. He did leave home young and he's hinted at a difficult family life, living on the streets and being a street performer which has segued into also being a drag performer. That's a LOT crammed into the last 2 years. 

I thought Kyle was squirming when out with Ashley. He was going beet red and his Sierra story was twisted by him to reflect really badly on her. The way Kyle told it to Ashley, Sierra had intuited that Kyle was something other than heterosexual, and had gone on this date to humiliate or hurt him because she called him a 'queen'. Nothing about his full court press crush on Sierra, telling her how beautiful she is and how gorgeous and how he's fully into her. I DO NOT appreciate dimwit Sierra at all, but I think Kyle is all kinds of shady. Maybe some props should be given to Sierra for sensing that all was not on the level with Kyle, because they definitely weren't.

Maybe a part of him realises he is behaving badly, because he qualifies his behavior by telling us that no one has been as into him as Ashley is, and this is new to him. I think he is trying to excuse himself there for what was pretty inexcusable. His deliberate misinterpretation of Ashley telling him 'tell me if you are going to mug me off'' clearly means BEFORE you hook up with a new boo, can you please give me the respect of a heads up? I don't know if Kyle is the guy to support Ashley through her transition. I think Kyle is very unbalanced, for whatever reason. Her story about him being kicked out of a club by a bouncer, I can see happening. I think he's someone who gets really oversensitive and aggressive, particularly when drinking. Loopy. 

Regarding 'Bemily' and Kate. I just can't with 'Bemily'. I saw Ben maybe needlessly draw a line in the sand with Kate over the last 2 episodes. He seems to be saying 'back off, now. You are no longer number 1 in my esteem'. I don't think this was particularly necessary, as it's pretty much Ben that's driving the discomfort that Emily is aware of between Ben and Kate. It's extremely childish and counter productive. Ben has no right to tell Emily to take a break REPEATEDLY. Emily knows this. Only Kate can do that. And the stupid flower arrangement is also more for Kate than it is for Emily. Kate is handling it all pretty coolly but any issues that exist are there because Ben creates them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Seems like Kate and Ben are trying to out do each other in the 'other' love interests.  Kate really pushed Ro, texting her so much while in the kitchen area,ignoring her work and Ben, and kissing and cuddling with her so much in front of Ben.  Ben's confused looks were very telling-- at least to me.  Suddenly he develops a love interest in Emily, maybe even the love of his life! and pushes that huge flower decoration in Kates face over and over.  Most men I've known, after giving the flowers, would drop the talk about them-- not always admiring them (in front of Kate conveniently ) over and over.  So I think this is a Kate-Ben situation where each one is trying to one up the other on who is the most over the other and has REALLY moved on!

• Love 8

Kate looking through the binoculars almost at the end of the episode, says "OMG, I can see Leon!". My heart leaped for a moment, I'd welcome some beef cheek drama over Bemily any day. But what happened? Did this miss being edited out?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Not that I care one way or another, live your life as your best self, but why has no one else mentioned here that Ashley is a male transitioning to female and she was asking Kyle to be there as her support while going thru the upcoming "changes". I don't think Kyle will be strong enough person to this for her.

Ever since Caitlyn Jenner seems to be en vogue to introduce a trans storyline and some are more cringeworthy than others. So even though I think Kyle was just a pawn to introduce Ashley, I'm glad she's there and I appreciate that the rest of the crew were kind and accommodating. Compared to Ro who blew in like a hurricane and was treated as such followed by Ben's brother who had no business on the boat, I didn't mind her cameo.

All that said, I don't think she can count on Kyle. He is a very open minded person and in many ways he's proven to be supportive toward his coworkers. He's funny and uses that to cut the tension in the room sometimes, but he is the last person I would want caring for me after surgery. This is a guy who can't stay on land even to help raise his daughter, he sure as fuck isn't prepared to nurse someone back to health. And by the look on his face when Ashley brought it up, I think he knows it too! 

Edited by rho
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Nanny pants said:

Excuse me?  Stranded on the beach AND the champagne ran out!

To be fair, the guests did look fairly sunburned later.  (unintentional pun) When you plan to be in the sun for x amount of hours and it goes way over that time, your skin could be in trouble.  Bad sunburns have ruined many a vacation.  Couple that with no champs - hoo boy!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, queenjen said:

Kate looking through the binoculars almost at the end of the episode, says "OMG, I can see Leon!". My heart leaped for a moment, I'd welcome some beef cheek drama over Bemily any day. But what happened? Did this miss being edited out?

I think Kate said on Twitter Leon was the name of a cruise ship.

Edited by druzy
  • Love 1

Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Is she missing a tooth or does she just have a huge gap that is screaming for braces? I find that black hole in her mouth so distracting. 

On 11/23/2016 at 6:33 PM, Red Bridey said:

Stuck on a  beautiful beach in the Caribbean for an extra hour.  The horror!  The horror!  I completely agreed when Kyle said something to the effect of, "Big whoopdedo."   This is like the stupidest "crisis" I have seen.  They weren't trying to catch a plane.  There was champagne, I think.  There was food back at the boat.  They were in their damn Speedos.  What important event were the guests missing?  More eating and drinking.  My heart does not weep for the inhumanity of it all.  Dean Slover can shove it, annoying control freak.  Can't imagine being around Mr. Big D on vacation.  Or at work.  Or at play.  Or anywhere anytime really.

I wanted to smack the shit out of smug Dean.  He acted as if he was stranded on Guantanamo Bay or something.  Talk about high class, first world problems.

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, Nanu160 said:

Dean, get a Real Problem.

!

I think he's got 'em.  No matter how much money he has or how often he can charter a yacht, he strikes me as a sad soul.  I'm not saying I pity him, it's just that he seems so pathetic.  Like, his real life is not as magical and twinkly as he's trying, so hard, to make us believe.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

He strikes me as a nasty dick who likes to use his money to buy attention and companionship from other people and be seen doing it on TV.  The way he presented his tip was so vile:  "Here are all the things you did wrong, but then you humiliated yourselves well enough for me to consider you redeemed and forgiven.  Take your money."  Imagine if we all made speeches like that before tipping our waitperson at a restaurant.  I'd fully expect them to piss and spit in my food next time I came there for a meal.

I don't know why anyone likes him or would want to be around him.  Kate can't be serious about looking forward to his charters.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

This is the third time Dean Slover has appeared on Below Deck. And the first time he appeared, Kate knew him from a previous charter. So this tells me that Dean likes his charters, but is something of a famewhore and has continued to take the Bravo discount for chartering while filming. Regarding the presentation of the tip, I sense also that Dean watches the show, probably multiple times and with many stops and rewinds and screenshots. So, this charter, I think he probably wanted to be the highest tipper of the season, because, ego. But, parting with that cash...it's not so easy for Dean! He knows it's going to be the biggest tip, so he has to make the presentation douchey. Like making Kelley and Nico do the apology dance. I was grinning through his request for the dance because he looked so peeved and sunburnt. IIRC, they weren't just stranded on the beach, Dean and his bevy of beautiful boys decided to swim out somewhere and meet the tender in the ocean somewhere? I've never seen Cpt Lee's control deck so crowded as when all that half naked man flesh packed itself in around out captain in a variety of 'nautically inspired' poses for photo time. Loved that.

I see productions paws on the tip presentations. Remember the tip that was given in many small notes that had to be counted by all the staff in the tip meeting? And the tip where the total douche primary said my tip is x amount, but I'm going to take y out (and physically removes a bundle of notes, with a flourish) because of (can't remember what the crew's transgression was, but what a low class move). I'm sure this kind of thing happens IRL, but production are making sure it happens more frequently, as they do.

Edited by queenjen
tips manipulated by production
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

I don't get the attraction to Emily . She looks and acts a like tween. Oh the bugged out eyes and that squirrel overbite with the molar gap on her upper left teeth. I just can't. 

Some people don't care about appearance, good looks fade away, personality lasts forever so mature people look for somebody they're compatible with and can have a good relationship with. Looks don't factor in to that.  

I haven't cared about somebody's appearance since I was in middle school. Even then if a guy could make me laugh and he was a nice guy, I'd never turn him down because of how he looked.  I look at the person inside, not what they look like on the outside.  If more people did that, maybe the divorce rate wouldn't be so high. 

• Love 4

Dean is an asshole, but I have to say that if I opt for a 45 minute champagne/swim break after a long day in the sun (rather than a bouncy half hour bus ride) and it turns into a 3 hour champagne/swim break, I'm going to be peeved. Yes, first world yacht problems, and demanding groveling was cruel, but I would guess for most of us, leaving a client stranded even in the most comfortable situation imaginable for hours with no information would be a serious problem. And for me personally, my tolerance for fun in the sun has a definite limit.

• Love 1

Dear Dean, Shit Happens. Also, charter a damn expensive yacht to impress your hired boys and the rest of the world, but the only impression you leave is that you are an Effete ASSHOLE.  *slow clap* WELL DONE, CONGRATULATIONS! Money well spent!

• Love 3

This show feels much more manufactured this season which bums me out. I thought it was a little more genuine than the others so it's a let down. I think Ben and Kate are playing the parts of people who watch the other move on and it's not fun. He was jealous at first, which felt real, but her annoyance I think is supposed to lead to her seeming jealous but it doesn't. It just reads as her being annoyed and he's kind of irritating and Emily is a non-entity in the story between Ben and Kate that is falling flat. Capt Lee is playing hardass with loser Kelly but that's not interesting either as Kelly is coming off as a loser in the job, IMO. The other members are so boring, I don't care about any of them. 

They need to retool this next season. I miss the old casts as they seemed more interesting. Kat was a drunk, Amy was a sweetie, Eddie was the good guy who screws up his life, and Ben was the snotty witty guy like Kate. I just can't define these people this season. They're just annoying or nondescript. It's too bad as this was one of my favorite Bravo shows until now. I can't wait for Thomas Ravenal and his crazy baby-mama to come on and show me some legit crazy. Now that's entertaining. lol. I hope that show comes back and lives up to the past. This one ain't cutting it.

Edited by Roxy
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

You are right. I am immature. I also like to snark on TV blogs. Sometimes things are so ....obvious, that it is difficult not to mention them. 

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you're immature!  I was just saying that everybody keeps saying they don't see what Ben sees in Emily because she's not attractive.  My point was that maybe he likes her because she's a nice person and that's what matters to him, not how she looks. 

• Love 3

I think Emily has a classic English Rose look to her; peaches and cream complexion, big blue eyes, yes, rabbit-y teeth, but cute.  She seems very much of Ben's class, and the two could probably make each other very happy in that understated Upper Class way.  But I don't care about "In Real Life," so I am not losing any sleep over this showmance/romance in any way. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I think Emily has a classic English Rose look to her; peaches and cream complexion, big blue eyes, yes, rabbit-y teeth, but cute.  She seems very much of Ben's class, and the two could probably make each other very happy in that understated Upper Class way.  But I don't care about "In Real Life," so I am not losing any sleep over this showmance/romance in any way. 

I kind of think it is a good story line. Next season Captain Lee could marry them for the final episode. Of course, after a few charter mishaps that threaten to sink their relationship.

• Love 2

catching up and watching this online-- Ben's tasting menu looked nice, but not perfect IMHO (I consider myself a decent *home* cook). The foie gras course looked good, but seemed like the foie was just put on top of a big honking piece of sliced french bread. It really should have been thinner, and toasted. And the lamb course with the brussel sprouts-- some of the sprouts were nicely browned, but others looked like they didn't have a trace of brown on them. Not top-notch IMHO. I mean, I'd be happy to put that stuff in front of my family-- but 4 star chef?

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:00 AM, Neurochick said:

I wanted to smack the shit out of smug Dean.  He acted as if he was stranded on Guantanamo Bay or something.  Talk about high class, first world problems.

*ahem*...about that bolded part? I would hardly use the words "high class" when referring to that asshat of a fuckwad, Dean. At best he is a famewhore who loves stirring Ye Olde Shit Pot, and that is about the only requirement that someone needs on any Bravho show these days.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2