Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Fall

• Start Topic

On 2/21/2017 at 9:44 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

Same here. The witnesses should have been Rory for Lorelai and Jess for Luke, or if 'just a few loved ones/family', then Emily and Rory (Gilmore Girls!) for Lorelai and April and Jess for Luke. Sookie, not Michel, was the one to encourage Lorelai and Luke's relationship. It was weird to see him there because Michel and Luke never liked each other (Luke makes a semi-snide comment about him in the Revival) and Lane had worked at Luke's but they were not shown to be close, i.e. Luke mentoring Lane to start her own restaurant. She was Rory's friend.  I also don't believe Luke would get married for real without his nephew and/or his daughter there, after the fuss Luke has made about being there for his sister and Jess. demanding that Jess show up for Liz's wedding, and the desire to be a real dad to April.  

I see your point, though Luke and Lane were supposed to be close. She and Zack asked Luke to be godfather to their first child. Lorelai was a second mother to Lane as well. 

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, huahaha said:

I see your point, though Luke and Lane were supposed to be close. She and Zack asked Luke to be godfather to their first child. Lorelai was a second mother to Lane as well. 

Then the 'supposed to be close' was mostly off-screen. Luke knew Lane as Rory's friend, and daughter of Mrs. Kim, the antique shop owner. He would see her 'around', like at the big dinner party Lorelai hosted at the inn.  Years later, she wanted to work at Luke's because she was asserting her independence from her mother and moving in with her band mates. He appreciated her hard work, but they were not shown to have scenes building a meaningful relationship, like he had with Jess or April. If anything, he had a sort-of friendship with Zack. Zack started serving when Lane's pregnancy made serving too hard for her.  While in the diner, he got all nervous about becoming a father, and Luke was the one to calm him down. When Lorelai needed a new jeep but wouldn't buy one, Luke mentioned he had Zack's help re: obtaining a new engine for her old jeep. And yes, Luke was asked to be godfather because the other options didn't seem good.

I just think Luke should have had a witness who was there for him (not mostly for Rory or Lorelai) at his real marriage ceremony. Instead, the wedding came off like Luke was basically a supporting player during a fun night in the center of Stars Hollow for Lorelai and Rory, with mother and daughter's closest SH friends. Also, I saw Lorelai wearing a dress that I don't believe she would wear. I thought the black lace, bow at waist, white cotton (?) collar look must have come from AS-P's closet.  Lorelai liked color and style; I thought maybe she'd wear a pretty purple and silver/gray dress since it was fall (saving a lovely white or off-white dress for the wedding ceremony the next day).

On 2/24/2017 at 9:56 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

Also, I saw Lorelai wearing a dress that I don't believe she would wear. I thought the black lace, bow at waist, white cotton (?) collar look must have come from AS-P's closet.  Lorelai liked color and style; I thought maybe she'd wear a pretty purple and silver/gray dress since it was fall (saving a lovely white or off-white dress for the wedding ceremony the next day).

That whole scene just illustrated that Lorelai is a Amy stand-in. 

(edited)

I was disappointed in this revival. Very few of the characters seemed to have any growth during the 10 years in/between. Lorelei acted younger than ever, until 'fall'. Rory behaving every bit as badly as the period when she dropped out of college. If she had 10 successful years as a journalist, she'd be way more mature than how she's acting. Luke also, same as ever. Most of the stars hollow townspeople, same. Michel, Zach, Jess- they had grown and matured.  Sookie was subdued. Logan - typical male - be more than happy to take the milk for free.  

I  don't think Rory got pregnant the LDB night, although I think she suspected she was pregnant that morning.  That night  was after Lorelei left for her hike. Lorelei came  back just a few days later and told Luke they were getting married this month (and the wedding date was the5th of the month, so a few days later). Question- who begins a hike thru mountains  in late October? 

I think Rory suspected she was pregnant and that is why she refused Logan and then ran to her grandparents home to begin the book.  Question- Rory obviously knew the house was for sale, why not tell Lorelei?

Edited by mythoughtis
(edited)

Actually the "this month" isn't true any longer. Too much happened between Lorelai getting back and the wedding for it to be just 5 days, The wedding was moved because they decided to not comment on the election. They moved the date to right before the election. The Original date was November 19th

Rory started the book after she got back because Logan had reminded she said she needed to write the book. And she realized that even with Logan's continued offer of help she had to find herself. She had decided to take her life into her own hands. And then is hit with the curveball. And since Rory is just now deciding things 3 days before the wedding, it's safe to say she hadn't known she was pregnant long. 

I think we are to assume that the LDB night was at the beginning of Fall and the Wedding around a month later. The change of seasons also makes Lorelai's coming back in November after only a few days away - off.

A month before November 5th fits Lorelai's timeline better imo.

Edited by tarotx

After rewatching, I still have mixed feelings about the revival as a whole, but I liked it a lot more this time around now that I knew what to expect. And I'll come out and admit that I really do love Fall! 

Edited by AsYouWish

Rewatched this this weekend. And the following thoughts:
1.  Luke's hair in the wedding scene was a really bad dye job.

2. I didn't realize the actress that played Gypsy also played Emily's permanent maid.

3. Why would they marry at night when the wedding is the next day?  Really.

4. Dean must have divorced Lindsay because he mentioned his wife Jennifer.

5. I cannot for the life of me see Lorelai even contemplating something like hiking or doing Wild. She is not the outdoorsy type and never has done much outdoorsy activities.

6. Rory wouldn't have qualified to be in the 30 something gang.  She wasn't technically unemployed. She had the job at the paper. Granted it was a volunteer position but it was still work. 

There is so much more but my head is spinning.  I agree with other posters, the revival fell flat. No closure now that Rory is expecting.  Who is the father? (my guess is Logan).  Who she will end up with? (my guess, no one). 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, AsYouWish said:

After rewatching, I still have mixed feelings about the revival as a whole, but I liked it a lot more this time around now that I knew what to expect. And I'll come out and admit that I really do love Fall! 

I just re-watched it this weekend.  It wasn't as bad as the first time.  I think maybe I had lower expectations?  Fall was my favorite episode.  Summer was the worst. 

And I'll really, really never understand why Rory and Logan aren't together.  They clearly want to be together.  You're in your 30s, just be together already!

I hate the language. Emily always knew how to use her words and would never reduce herself to swearing to get her point across. I know it has switched from network TV to Netflix, but the swearing seems so out of place. 

23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't remember, what were they?

Rory: Mom

Lorelai: Yeah?

Rory: I'm pregnant.

And these are the words ASP had planned from the very beginning of the show. Took her 10 years to get to use them.

I’m glad we found out what the last four words were, but I would hate if the original series had ended this way. Rory was just starting out, and while at a better place in her life than Lorelai was, she’d have been stuck in Stars Hollow. Richard would have been supportive, but disappointed. Finding yourself pregnant at 32, very different place in life.

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m glad we found out what the last four words were, but I would hate if the original series had ended this way. Rory was just starting out, and while at a better place in her life than Lorelai was, she’d have been stuck in Stars Hollow. Richard would have been supportive, but disappointed. Finding yourself pregnant at 32, very different place in life.

Except she basically proved she can't hold a job and has nowhere to live, and can't even blame this mistake on being young. The girl can't cut it outside of Stars Hollow, but thankfully Richard is dead and can't see how much she washed up. No, Rory is Lorelai's problem forever and here comes the next generation.

3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m glad we found out what the last four words were, but I would hate if the original series had ended this way. 

I'm  not convinced that these were to be the last four words of the series.  ASP is such a shyster that I bet she made that whole "famous last words" thing up when she was let go just to get the fans all worked up.

This was a story for young people and, while we certainly know it happens, I can't imagine the network allowing another unwed pregnance back then. Plus there was the whole "are you taking precautions" speech Rory and Lorelai had.  Unless this was supposed to be a "see, you can get pregnant even if taking precautions" PSA, I honestly don't think that was the way it was supposed to end.  Leaving Rory at the start of a promising career after graduating from a prestigious college to have to deal with a kid just doesn't send a very good message to younger viewers.  Just my opinion but I would have been extremely disappointed.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

ASP talked about the last 4 words years before the series ended.

I always assumed that if these were indeed intended to be the last four words of the series that they were meant to be said between Lorelai and Emily. It's the only way they would make sense as an endgame for a show that was supposedly all about wish fulfillment. No other ending makes sense. Rory single and pregnant out of college - what would have been the point of the entire series? But, Lorelai in a steady relationship sharing the news with Emily makes a ton more sense. It would signify Lorelai actually including Emily this time rather than running away and cutting Emily out of her grandchild's life. 

Edited by MatildaMoody
23 minutes ago, MatildaMoody said:

But, Lorelai in a steady relationship sharing the news with Emily makes a ton more sense. It would signify Lorelai actually including Emily this time rather than running away and cutting Emily out of her grandchild's life. 

Oh, now, that idea I like.

5 hours ago, MatildaMoody said:

I always assumed that if these were indeed intended to be the last four words of the series that they were meant to be said between Lorelai and Emily. It's the only way they would make sense as an endgame for a show that was supposedly all about wish fulfillment. No other ending makes sense. Rory single and pregnant out of college - what would have been the point of the entire series? But, Lorelai in a steady relationship sharing the news with Emily makes a ton more sense. It would signify Lorelai actually including Emily this time rather than running away and cutting Emily out of her grandchild's life. 

Now that would have been really good. 

I think you have to remove the words from the context we saw at the end of Season 7.  I just figured Amy had a totally different ending in mind, not necessarily that it was her intention to have Rory be pregnant immediately upon graduation from college.  (Or at least I don't recall reading otherwise.)  I mean, Season 7 wasn't a season she was involved with, and it wasn't even clear until the very end whether Gilmore Girls would get a Season 8, so I didn't think that was her plan. 

9 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think you have to remove the words from the context we saw at the end of Season 7.  I just figured Amy had a totally different ending in mind, not necessarily that it was her intention to have Rory be pregnant immediately upon graduation from college.  (Or at least I don't recall reading otherwise.)  I mean, Season 7 wasn't a season she was involved with, and it wasn't even clear until the very end whether Gilmore Girls would get a Season 8, so I didn't think that was her plan. 

I think it was her plan just because it was a full-circle type of thing.  Think about it. When you start a show, you don't know how long it will last.  She may have intended Rory to be pregnant in hish school like Lorelei, or early college.  Then raising a kid "on her own" with her own batch of wacky townspeople." 

On 11/7/2018 at 3:24 PM, txhorns79 said:

It doesn't really matter what her intention was for Season 7. Rory would have still been the same age (early 20's just finishing up college) with no actual life experience. If there had been an intention for a season 8, she would still only be a year removed from college with no real life experience. Sure, maybe Amy saw her in a relationship and not single and pregnant, but the end result would have still been counter to the whole point of Rory being the great hope of the Gilmores with her own goals and dreams in mind. 

Which is why when I hear that Amy always knew what the last four words of the show would be, I remove all context as far as who would be the ones saying them. And the only possible way that they would make any sense in the realm of the show would be for Lorelai to be saying them to Emily. Otherwise, what was the point of them showing everyone doing everything they could to invest in Rory's dreams and goals of travel and hard-hitting journalism?

I'm not sure the last 4 words were always a thing. At least not the first 2 seasons.

Vulture: Is it the same father you would have had in mind if you had done this when Rory was 22?

Daniel Palladino: Maybe not. I think when Amy first talked about the last four words — and we talked about them, like in season three, four, something like that, of the original series — it was really the moment that felt right and we quite frankly didn’t exactly know what the specific circumstances are.

ASP: Yeah, we didn’t know whose contracts would have been up by that point.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/amy-sherman-palladino-gilmore-girls-last-four-words-and-trump.html

Also remember Amy considers GG a kind of a tragedy which is sad but this quote explains Amy's view of the show. 

“Lorelai is made because of her experience with her family, and Emily is Emily because Lorelai left. That added a layer of conflict that allows you to do the comedy, but at the base of it, it’s almost a tragedy.”

https://ew.com/article/2016/11/22/gilmore-girls-amy-sherman-palladino-tragedy/

Rory's a bridge between these two women. A large chunk of who she is-is because of that dynamic.

I just rewatched.  I think it is so funny that there are so many comments here like "Who would read Rory's book?  No one would EVER be interested in the story of her life!" and yet here we are.  A whole bunch of people who willingly watched 8 seasons of it, and often multiple times, too.

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just rewatched.  I think it is so funny that there are so many comments here like "Who would read Rory's book?  No one would EVER be interested in the story of her life!" and yet here we are.  A whole bunch of people who willingly watched 8 seasons of it, and often multiple times, too.

I was going to say that most people don't read autobiographies or memoirs unless it's someone famous, or they did something noteworthy.   But, Eat Pray Love was a pretty big hit, I guess, so maybe Rory's book will become a best-seller.   

There was a lot of discussion here about whether the book would be a non-fiction autobiography or a fictional Roman à clef because the show made it very unclear.

Rory obviously calls the book The Gilmore Girls or Gilmore Girls after Lorelai's suggestion.  Then she goes to Dean and says she'll change people's names.  LOL?

Regardless, whether it ends up being fictional or not, we all watched the story of her life so I think it's obvious many people find the story interesting.

The problem I always had with Rory was that the way she was on paper never came across on screen. I never bought that she had it in her to be a journalist in the same vein as Amanpour but that’s what they tried to sell us the whole series. That said I did buy that she was supposed to have talent as a writer (it helps that we never actually read any of her stuff) so I can believe that she’ll be able to weave her life story in such a way that the general public will be interested. The hard part will be getting it published and we saw how lackadaisical she was in the revival when it came to her career. Lorelai may have to step in and make sure it gets published and promoted while Rory works on the paper in Stars Hollow. 

Anyone else feel in retrospect Rory should have just married Logan when he asked at the end of S7 after all? (Asking with all seriousness, btw, not being snarky.) I mean, she loved him, she was happy with him, they were pretty good for each other IMO, she just didn't want to feel like she was tied down being Mrs. Logan Huntzberger at a time that she could be out making something of herself and really doing something with her life.

Well.....um.....not to be mean, but how'd that work out for you, Rory?

1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

Anyone else feel in retrospect Rory should have just married Logan when he asked at the end of S7 after all? (Asking with all seriousness, btw, not being snarky.) I mean, she loved him, she was happy with him, they were pretty good for each other IMO, she just didn't want to feel like she was tied down being Mrs. Logan Huntzberger at a time that she could be out making something of herself and really doing something with her life.

Well.....um.....not to be mean, but how'd that work out for you, Rory?

With the benefit of hindsight, sure.  But, you should never get married if you aren't 100% sure that's what you want.  It's not fair to either of you.  It's not like they were in their 30's.  Logan could have asked if Rory would be willing to reevaluate in a year.  Maybe she would have.  But, graduating college and getting married (engaged) all at once is a lot of life change to make.

Finally got around to watching the 4 episodes. 

I loved how Emily made a new life for herself in Nantucket and included Berta's extended family in it. Also how she insisted on Luke and Lorelai agreeing to come to Nantucket for visits as a condition of giving Lorelai the money. Emily Gilmore in sneakers! 

I really liked the wedding and appreciated Kirk's contribution. (Usually I can't abide Kirk but this was great.) I liked hearing Sookie and Michel argue and am thrilled that Lorelai has figured out a way to keep Michel from leaving. I really liked the Luke/Lorelai moment in the kitchen when Lorelai returned from the non-hike and said they should get married. Did not mind all of the cameos from the Parenthood and Bunheads people - and from Alex Borstein, who will always be Drella to me. 

Did not like any of the Rory storyline - especially the Life and Death Brigade, which went on for way too long. Would have preferred to see more Rory/Lane and more of Mrs. Kim. I did like Rory's visit to Christopher. 

Assuming that the 4 word ending was how ASP planned it 10 years ago, I think it works much better with Rory at 22 than with Rory at 32. 

7 hours ago, LisaM said:

Did not like any of the Rory storyline - especially the Life and Death Brigade, which went on for way too long. Would have preferred to see more Rory/Lane and more of Mrs. Kim. I did like Rory's visit to Christopher. 

Assuming that the 4 word ending was how ASP planned it 10 years ago, I think it works much better with Rory at 22 than with Rory at 32. 

Especially, because Rory at 22 having an "oops" would make more sense than someone bouncing for a decade and then just as things are together is: "Sorry mom, I pulled as you, but I have NO IDEA who the dad is." 

11 hours ago, readster said:

Especially, because Rory at 22 having an "oops" would make more sense than someone bouncing for a decade and then just as things are together is: "Sorry mom, I pulled as you, but I have NO IDEA who the dad is." 

Eh.  My sister had an oops at 35.It happens.  

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Eh.  My sister had an oops at 35.It happens.  

Did she know who the father was?

That's the thing that struck me about Rory being pregnant and the whole who's the Daddy plot line. It took me many years to come to the conclusion that ASP always meant to set up Rory for failure. It didn't happen in Season 7 with Rory going off to follow the Obama campaign. That's a pretty good gig, and online journalism is the future. But then ASP really ignored Season 7 because she didn't write it. I bet I was on the 18th re-watch of the original series that I realized ASP wanted this amazing wonderkid to be a dud. 

29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Did she know who the father was?

That's the thing that struck me about Rory being pregnant and the whole who's the Daddy plot line. It took me many years to come to the conclusion that ASP always meant to set up Rory for failure. It didn't happen in Season 7 with Rory going off to follow the Obama campaign. That's a pretty good gig, and online journalism is the future. But then ASP really ignored Season 7 because she didn't write it. I bet I was on the 18th re-watch of the original series that I realized ASP wanted this amazing wonderkid to be a dud. 

Yeah, but until she got pregnant they weren't in an exclusive relationship. Rory might know who the father is, too.  We don't know.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Exactly and if you look at how she handled things in season 5-6 with Rory, you really do have to wonder if that was the plan. Many have us have wondered what would have happened with Sutlific couldn't of reprised his role as Christopher in season 5 if I'm with Her got a second season on ABC. The show was not only the bubble, but was close to getting another season and then yanked it for a time slot for an older show. Good old networks, pounding series that are dying painful deaths more time while other potential and watchable shows are just kicked to the curb. 

I just did the rewatch and liked it better the second time around.  I think the first time I was mostly disappointed but this time I tried to find the good moments.  I liked that Luke and Lorelai were still close and do a lot of things together.  I liked Emily’s changes.  I liked seeing many of the characters sprinkled in.  Rory’s story just seemed too much like the ending of the regular series.  But overall it was fun to see it again, even if it isn’t my favorite Gilmore Girls moments. 

10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

No.  Could have been the Wookie.  Unsafe sex at her age - seriously?

Broken condom?  Failed BC pill?  Incorrectly inserted diaphraghm?  

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Broken condom?  Failed BC pill?  Incorrectly inserted diaphraghm?  

You know, I get that even people in their 30s married or not have slip ups, but GG and other TV shows want to act like people can just jump into bed, have great sex and then go do it with someone else. Unless it's a "very special episode" no one ends up with a: STD, oopps I'm preggers or even: "Why the hell am I acting like this person is going to leave someone for me, I'm not a side piece!" Yet, nope!

3 hours ago, readster said:

You know, I get that even people in their 30s married or not have slip ups, but GG and other TV shows want to act like people can just jump into bed, have great sex and then go do it with someone else. Unless it's a "very special episode" no one ends up with a: STD, oopps I'm preggers or even: "Why the hell am I acting like this person is going to leave someone for me, I'm not a side piece!" Yet, nope!

I hate to say it, but I think TV does this because so many real people do this.  There are plenty of people that just believe in the freedom of sex without acting responsibly.  😞  I have always found it odd, but it seems to be the case with many. 

On 7/13/2020 at 7:52 PM, Kohola3 said:

No.  Could have been the Wookie.  Unsafe sex at her age - seriously?

I don't think the Wookie is a possible father. I recently went back and rewatched just to see if it was possible. She slept with the Wookie in Spring. She tells her mom she is pregnant in Fall and we know that the month is November and since she told Luke the wedding would be "later this month", that put the wedding at mid to late November. Even if she slept with the wookie at the and of May, that would make her 5 to 5 and a half months pregnant and halfway through her second trimester. She would have known for months she was pregnant and would be showing at that point.

Thanks for doing the math. I was so repulsed by all of the episodes that I have never rewatched and never will. I just remember the whole Wookie incident and being disgusted at the time.

Surprised I'm the only semi-obsessive GG fan that watched the CW 4 night run of A Year in the Life. But I'm okay being the one and only!  My thoughts--

1. Loved everything Emily, realized I relate more to her now and loved her letting go of her old married self to emerge as Emily in Nantucket, still with Richard's portrait but no DAR, no big house. And that she finangled another deal out of Lorelei's need for money. Can well picture L/L spending two torturous weeks with her every summer plus Christmas. Huzzah Emily!

2. Loved seeing all the Star's Hollowites, I've missed them all.

3. Michel -had the best lines of the revivial IMO. Loved the arc they put him on, including his interviewing candidates for his job. When he asked Molly if she had brought kleenex and she said yes his response -"you should get them out now" was great.

4. Sookie. Don't have to explain this one, and although I wish Sookie had been in the series more, I did love the rotating kitchen staff every season, so obvious no one could take her place at the Dragonfly.

5. Paris -loved her over the top agressiveness, the surrogate subplot was weird except it gave a reason to have more Paris. Loved her and Rory going back to Chilton for alumni day and Paris grilling the Headmaster on all the furnishings etc like she owned the place.

6. Luke-he didn't have any grand issues, makes sense as he's long known who he is and what he wants. Loved his reliability and the wifi thing. Typical Luke not to want to go with the times.

7. Lorelei -never quite figured out why she was unhappy, and what revelation she had that made her think !marriage! that will fix it. Did enjoy the whole Wild crew around the campfire and showing Lorelei walking up the trail muttering -I hate the outdoors! Loved the moments with her and Rory, as many posted I didn't like some of the filler like the Summer musical. Thought the wedding was perfect, and can imagine the big wedding the next day being so festive and relaxed. And of course Lorelei told Sookie to bring all the cakes.

8. Jess/Dean -loved the scene with Dean in the store, perfect. They, I think, left it vague whether Jess still loved Rory or not, so we can imagine the possibilities. Did like that he gave Rory the umph to do the book.

9. Rory and Rory/Logan -I totally sympathized with Rory's job struggles. Once you're out in the working world, it doesn't really matter where you went to school, and the skills to succeed are different than the ones that help one excel in the classroom. What about Paul as the father? Yes Rory didn't see him much but she didn't break up with him until Fall and presumably they saw each other on occasion and had sex. Logan/Matt, as many have said, had crazy chemistry with Rory/Alexis. But I can't see Rory being happy moving to London and being the wife of the Huntzberger heir apparent with all the socializing and trappings of wealth. Rory has always been betwixt and between, grew up in small town and regular people but then went to Chilton and Yale where her peers were mostly ultra-wealthy and snobbish. I can't see her living in that world, although she's adept at visiting it.  They did play it that Rory wanted Logan to choose her and in the end he was passive and didn't acknowledge her hints. His loss. I've no doubt he will be unhappy without her. Maybe he chucks it all and moves to Star's Hollow. Anyway I've no doubt Rory will have a girl, name her Emily, and have a wonderful if challenging life.

I am finishing up AYITL rewatch. I'm halfway through Fall and it is still my favorite of the episodes. Unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed The Life and Death Brigade stuff. I mean, it was stupid, sure, but just the warmth that knowing you have friends who will go all out like that just to try to cheer you up is sweet. However, did anyone else feel that Rory/Alexis just didn't seem to fit with the guys? It's hard for me to explain, but when they were walking around her in Stars Hollow being profoundly Robert, Finn, and Colin, they seemed perfectly at ease while she seemed to be trying to find the right thing to say to fit in. Same with her mannerisms in the tango club. I don't know. It's hard to explain.

That said, the more I watch GG and AYITL, the more convinced I am that Rory is the villain in her own life story. She expects things to be handed to her (jobs, etc.), has too much pride to say what she wants (I think she wants Logan but who can tell?), and is pretty horrible to all but a select few in her life (don't get me started on "I'm not back!" and her treatment of The Thirty-Something Gang who were, like it or not, her peers). Emily came from money, married more money, and took on the role of a socialite. Lorelai rebelled from that life, ran away, and made a life for herself working hard from the ground floor willing to do menial jobs until she was the owner of an inn. Rory didn't want to work hard like Lorelai but also didn't seem willing to play the role of a married socialite like Emily. She wanted to best of the both of those worlds without putting in the effort needed to achieve either of them. In AYITL, Rory was the same age Lorelai was when the series started. At that time, Lorelai had worked her way up from a maid who had to live in a shed with her baby to a homeowner who ran the inn. Rory, conversely, was couch surfing with no employment prospects and really no goals. Other people had to tell her what to do with her life before she ever got moving.