Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Summer

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, David Selig said:

And the odds of it being a success are extremely small. It's a very long shot to put it mildly. So many books are published every day nowadays that standing out of the crowd is very tough, especially if it's your first book and you don't have a publisher promoting you.

You think THIS is the thing Rory's finally going to have to work for?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole whiny monologue Rory gave Jess about being broke and not having a car or a driver's license, blah blah might have been more effective if she didn't then drive herself to the cemetery in the very next scene (in the same car she also drove to the Gilmore mansion-- which I think may have even been the Prius that she had in the original series). Did nobody in the writing/editing room have a problem with that?

Edited by marny
Typo

You know somehow the book will become the TV show or a movie that can be filmed in Stars Hollow. The fact that the town is looking to have more films shot there, says it all. And we can be almost certain that it will be Jess's idea. 

Edited by tarotx

When Lorelai talks to Luke about kids. She said it's great to see your kid graduate and he said he got to see Rory graduate, and Lorelai said it's not the same. Not in a million years could I believe Luke would miss April's high school or college graduation. How do they miss such blatant details? 

Rory isn't broke. She has Lorelai's (the 1st) trust fund. She has any money left her by Richard. (I'm assuming it's a lot). And she has the Hayden family money - I'm sure her father would loan her a cool million. That is all enough not to be broke. 

If GG was at all true to life, Rory would at least have parlayed her status as Logan's jump off - into some career stability. I thought the Huntzburger's owned several newspapers. Logan couldn't hook her up with a job? Journalism is ripe for nepotism. I don't know what Rory's problem is!

Edited by Miss Slay
spelling. It's been a long night

We are definitely dealing with the Palladino "have to suspend disbelief" when it comes to money in this episode. They did it the entire original series. For example, Richard should have inherited quite a fortune when Trix died, but that is completely ignored. Maybe Rory not getting money from her Dad is Amy thumbing her nose at Season 7, but for those of us who endured it, it just falls flat.

Edited by chessiegal
On 12/4/2016 at 8:09 PM, Miss Slay said:

Rory isn't broke. She has Lorelai's (the 1st) trust fund. She has any money left her by Richard. (I'm assuming it's a lot). And she has the Hayden family money - I'm sure her father would loan her a cool million. That is all enough not to be broke. 

If GG was at all true to life, Rory would at least have parlayed her status as Logan's jump off - into some career stability. I thought the Huntzburger's owned several newspapers. Logan couldn't hook her up with a job? Journalism is ripe for nepotism. I don't know what Rory's problem is!

Rory actually has two trust funds. There is the one from her Great Grandmother. But Richard also told Lorelai about a trust fund that he set up for Rory and how he wanted to leverage that trust fund to force Rory to go back to Yale after he realized he made a mistake by not backing Lorelai on the tough love approach. Plus, I am sure that her Grandfather would have left her quite a bit of money - I mean if he left Luke money to franchise his diner, why on earth wouldn't he leave his beloved grand daughter something?

Then, there is the Hayden money. I sincerely doubt that Chris would not have set something up in trust for both Rory and Gigi.

Plus, I am sure that her Grandfather would have left her quite a bit of money - I mean if he left Luke money to franchise his diner, why on earth wouldn't he leave his beloved grand daughter something?

I think it would be pretty normal for him to leave all his money (that isn't already in her name) to Emily.  My experience has been that spouses generally have wills that are mirror images, so if one dies, the other gets everything.  Obviously there would be occasions when that wouldn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if Richard didn't leave Rory a specific bequest.     

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I think it would be pretty normal for him to leave all his money (that isn't already in her name) to Emily.  My experience has been that spouses generally have wills that are mirror images, so if one dies, the other gets everything.  Obviously there would be occasions when that wouldn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if Richard didn't leave Rory a specific bequest.     

People with large estates plan ahead, and as mentioned Richard already talked about a trust he had set up for Rory.  Trusts can also be useful for deferring taxes, and I'm sure Richard took advantage of that.

But in any case, Rory has 2 people with vast amounts of wealth (Emily and Christopher) willing to give her as much money as she needs.  I think Rory in her head sometimes wants to be like Lorelei and go it alone, but in reality it's not a huge part of who she is. 

Wow. This author is certainly not the person to judge maturation. Silliness doesn't not mean a lack of maturity. On the contrary, maturity is keeping a balance in life and taking risks when needed it doesn't mean being boring. I give the author a maturity rating of 0 for not understanding that.

tarotx: Actually, that's not true (the thing about very few books being successful). It really depends on what you want the written-a-book credit *for*. The simple fact of having written a book and having had it published can push you to a higher level of authority on the book's topic - that's why so many business people insist on writing their very dull books pitching their sole slogan. If the publisher promotes it at the beginning, you can gain a somewhat higher profile by appearing on radio/TV/book stores/etc. to promote it and establish yourself as an expert on whatever topic; for at least a year you can use the book to get you assignments writing on related topics as well as work teaching workshops and classes for other writers. Many, many writers do not make money *directly* from writing books - I haven't, so far - but may benefit hugely in other ways, as I have.

In Rory's case, Gilmore Girls can get her gigs writing about single mothers, for a start. Maybe also stories about "life inside the super-rich bubble", if she's willing to be a little candid.

Very few writers make a living just from writing. But books really do help you make a name for yourself, even though very few make serious money.

Edited by wendyg
1 hour ago, wendyg said:

Maybe also stories about "life inside the super-rich bubble", if she's willing to be a little candid.

Does Revival Rory seem like she's capable of being that introspective?

1 hour ago, wendyg said:

tarotx: Actually, that's not true (the thing about very few books being successful). It really depends on what you want the written-a-book credit *for*. The simple fact of having written a book and having had it published can push you to a higher level of authority on the book's topic - that's why so many business people insist on writing their very dull books pitching their sole slogan. If the publisher promotes it at the beginning, you can gain a somewhat higher profile by appearing on radio/TV/book stores/etc. to promote it and establish yourself as an expert on whatever topic; for at least a year you can use the book to get you assignments writing on related topics as well as work teaching workshops and classes for other writers. Many, many writers do not make money *directly* from writing books - I haven't, so far - but may benefit hugely in other ways, as I have.

In Rory's case, Gilmore Girls can get her gigs writing about single mothers, for a start. Maybe also stories about "life inside the super-rich bubble", if she's willing to be a little candid.

Very few writers make a living just from writing. But books really do help you make a name for yourself, even though very few make serious money.

Everybody and their mother could write a book. If Rory wanted to get gigs writing about single mothers, about the super-rich bubble or even magical small new England towns she could pitch them now. She has been given avenues to pitch stories and to sell herself. She hasn't been able to do it. 

The pool scene was probably one of the worst scenes on any episode of the whole series. Also, I found it highly ridiculous that Rory was shaming a woman for wearing a bikini despite the fact that she has now had an affair with a married man and an engaged man. But the bikini woman is the "slut"? Come on.

And I know that people can have conflicting beliefs and behaviours, but it is weird to me how casually she has these affairs when she still seems physically uncomfortable around people in general and is very uptight about her body (e.g. not wearing a bathing suit in this scene). Maybe it's because she has these affairs with men she's already very comfortable with? Based on how she acts I would assume that she would have a lot of difficulty having sex and still be uncomfortable and awkward about it. I guess that sort of showed in the Wookie hookup. 

I don't buy that Lorelai would be so horrified by the musical. That's exactly the type of thing she's into. It's pretty much the reason she's lived in Stars Hollow all these years.

It was interesting when Lane mentioned that a kid had called Rory "illegitimate" when they were younger and Lorelai threw brownies at him (or was it the kid's mom?). I feel like that's something we didn't see much of in the original series -- people judging Rory for having such a young mom. We saw it a bit at Chilton with the other moms, but not other kids. I guess that's because Lorelai was in her 30s by then and the teens Rory hung out with thought it was cool instead of weird. 

Ugh, the fat shaming.  What would they say if Sookie was at the pool?

Dock workers and rock stars sleep until noon?  I mean, rock stars, sure.  But why dock workers?

Wow. They spent forever showing full numbers from the musical, and then another forever talking about them afterwards. Bizarre.

Milo V. must be a good actor. I watched him years ago as Jess, but lately I have been watching him as one of the stars of the show This Is Us, and I thought when Jess reappeared it would feel like a weird crossover. But he is so clearly Jess here and not that character, even though he must've been making the pilot around the same time as he filmed this.

I liked the literal gravestone next to Richard's, that was a giant boulder.

The idea of Rory reflexively calling Logan was funny, but they should have capped it at two times.

I loved how Luke kept reminding Lorelei of all the aspects of hiking and being outside that he (and we) have trouble imagining her dealing with.

On 11/25/2016 at 3:49 PM, Eyes High said:

April is as irritating as ever, but wow, Vanessa Marano turned out to be a stunner. 

I'm one of the few people who liked Original Recipe April.  But this 22 year old does not seem like a plausible version of the 12 year old we saw back when.  April had a sense of humor, was more "normal" in general even if she liked science.

On 11/26/2016 at 2:47 PM, Kromm said:

So true with Summer. Which surprised me only because Spring was actually pretty good (better than ASP's preceding Winter episode at the very least). 

Seems like everyone is ranking the three so far as Spring, Winter, Summer; my ranking is Winter, Spring, Summer (so a steady downward trend but also a hopeful sign that maybe things will turn around now that Daniel is out of the picture for the stretch run).

On 11/27/2016 at 10:45 AM, hippielamb said:

I have to side with Lorelai over her quarrel with Rory. It is her life. Rory is so spoiled (which, yeah is partly on Lorelai) that she assumes her mother would want her life exposed in a book. She didn't even ask before going forward.

I don't think a writer should be expected to get permission from family.  A lot of the great works of literature aroused ire from family members who correctly saw thinly disguised (and unflattering) versions of themselves in these "novels".  I for one would rather have those works of literature rather than preserving all those family members' privacy and public image.

On 11/27/2016 at 1:51 PM, Mumbles said:

And this episode reminds me how Babette used to bug me so much. Sally Struthers vomits her lines.

God, yes.  But a lot of people seem to like her!  I have never understood that!

On 11/29/2016 at 4:25 PM, candle96 said:

Eh, you know more than you did at 16. I am curious to see how people's perspectives of the show change with age. I was about 30 when I first started watching it (in reruns) and have always found Rory and Lorelei to be kind of selfish assholes to some degree.

This is totally me and my wife.  She started watching the show at age 16, while I watched the first six seasons with her (she had the DVDs, well before it was on Netflix) in my early thirties.  I always thought Rory and Lorelei were kind of horrible people, but very funny, and I enjoyed the show overall.  But she kind of got her nose bent out of shape by that opinion and defended them.  Now a lot of people who were teenagers then and in their thirties now are acting like the characters have been sort of character assassinated, but I think it's of a piece with what came before, except that the Palladinos are kind of doubling down to make sure people understand their terribleness.  Kind of like how David Chase got frustrated by viewers taking a shine to Tony Soprano, so he kept making him do worse and worse things in later seasons.

A couple more things that popped into my head:

--I agree with those who said the scenes with Michel were the best part of this episode.

--Why is one of the "Bunheads" (a 26 year old actor who was playing a high school girl a couple years ago) part of the "Thirtysomething gang"?  They didn't even try to make her look older.

In a situation where someone is writing non-fiction about real, living people, family or not, the publisher may well demand signed releases giving permission. In any case, a lot depends on what you want your future relationship with your family to be. If you are happy to risk alienating the people you care about and who care about you, by all means publish without asking them how they feel about it. In a case like this, Rory can't tell her own story without disclosing details that Lorelai might regard as private. And even if she doesn't, it's inevitable that she will tell stories that will rupture the already-fragile relationship Lorelai has with Emily. There is plenty of prior art for this throughout the series. You may prefer to have the works of literature that upset authors' families, but you aren't the one who lives with the cost if said author loses her family. Today, of course, this is a balance every blogger must find, not just book authors.

--Why is one of the "Bunheads" (a 26 year old actor who was playing a high school girl a couple years ago) part of the "Thirtysomething gang"?  They didn't even try to make her look older.

THANK YOU.  I wondered the same thing.

I hate it. 

I finally finished it. It's terrible. The fat shaming at the pool- glad to see ASP hasn't changed.

The incest jokes in the musical? Any part of the musical? Really? 

The superiority complex of Rory and Lorelei regarding the 30s gang felt familiar to their general obnoxiousness throughout the series.

So much to hate in this episode.

49 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Worse than their superiority complex over the 30-something gang was how the gang seemed so desperate to have her join them! Haaaave you MET Rory?

Well everyone loves Rory! Ugh. I personally have never gotten the Rory's so great vibe, even in the original series. Seasons 1 and 2 she was alright but season 3, even though Dean is my least likeabke boyfriend when they broke up and she went to his window and was like "I'm so sorry but this means your family isn't going to like me anymore!" Like wtf? Ugh. I ever really got why she was the greatest. She bugged.

Lol, if I was in a gang based on grousing on getting a raw deal from the Millenial Economy, I'd want it to include Yale grad Most Likely To Succeed Rory. As a "See! There's no winning this economy!" comforting anecdote if nothing else.

I thought the Girl's snobbishness about the gang was partly a joke on the Girls as hypocritical and superior. However I think Rory had a bit of a point.  She didn't want to surrender to being a "failure." She looked for projects like the Gazette or the book to keep going even though she was down and out.  

Edited by Melancholy
1 hour ago, Melancholy said:

Lol, if I was in a gang based on grousing on getting a raw deal from the Millenial Economy, I'd want it to include Yale grad Most Likely To Succeed Rory. As a "See! There's no winning this economy!" comforting anecdote if nothing else.

I thought the Girl's snobbishness about the gang was partly a joke on the Girls as hypocritical and superior. However I think Rory had a bit of a point.  She didn't want to surrender to being a "failure." She looked for projects like the Gazette or the book to keep going even though she was down and out.  

I'm sure the rest of the gang did as well.  Even their parents were meeting to exchange resume' tips!

I think that bit with the parents was meant to make us think they're a bunch of useless layabouts who have their parents do everything for them. I suppose the writer means for us to see them as a bunch of childish imbeciles for being so chipper and apparently not doing anything productive.

But I already like these fun people more than miss negativity who is all "woe is me, people can smell failure on me". The 30s gang seem to be trying to make the best of their situation instead of grousing.

They're bringing a bit of positive energy into the world, if nothing else. Amazing that they can stay positive at all considering most of them probably have massive student loans, maybe some of them never got a chance to go to college, and their parents seem to be trying to get rid of them. A few of them might even have jobs, just not the kind of job with regular hours and benefits (nor a decent wage), because that kind of job is scarce these days.

They're simply some kind of throwaway joke here because this was written by some old man who wanted to shake his fist at clouds and yell "damn millennials!"

Though it was played too much as one, I don't think the whole point of the 30something gang was as a Joke. It was to show Rory resit accepting she was stuck. But then at the end of summer, Rory's to the point of saying, "I wonder if the rest of the 30something gang goes through things like this". We have a better understanding of Rory's state of mind. Though hers isn't just the economy.  Her low place and acceptance of it was because she was losing the things that had helped her through the year -Her mom's understanding of her and being able to vent to and get cheered up by Logan. 

Edited by tarotx
On 12/4/2016 at 8:09 PM, Miss Slay said:

Rory's problem is that ASP wanted to tell a story and she told it. Damn it!

Seriously, Rory's plots made not a lick of sense. Except to shoehorn her into a full circle. 

I didn't think Rory had that first trust fund from Trix? Didn't Trix decline to set it up after watching Lorelai and Emily fight at the Independence Inn that time? I thought at the end of the episode that was why Lorelai ended by telling Rory the story of how she lost her thousands of dollars or something to that effect?

Not that it makes it any easier to understand how Rory was affording her life. Unless Logan was paying? Or Dr Greene's wife from ER? Or probably her father I guess?

57 minutes ago, SparedTurkey said:

I didn't think Rory had that first trust fund from Trix? Didn't Trix decline to set it up after watching Lorelai and Emily fight at the Independence Inn that time? I thought at the end of the episode that was why Lorelai ended by telling Rory the story of how she lost her thousands of dollars or something to that effect?

Trix didn't completely pull the trust fund, she just decided not to give it to Rory early because Lorelai and Emily weren't mature enough to handle Rory having money of her own at that age.  (Heh.)  I believe the terms were originally Rory would get it when she turned 25, so that's the way Trix kept it.

Honestly I don't have a problem with Rory complaining that she was "broke" even though we know she had at least one trust fund to fall back on.  Depending on trust fund money to live on is not a wise use of the money, because it will disappear fairly quickly that way.

32 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Trix didn't completely pull the trust fund, she just decided not to give it to Rory early because Lorelai and Emily weren't mature enough to handle Rory having money of her own at that age.  (Heh.)  I believe the terms were originally Rory would get it when she turned 25, so that's the way Trix kept it.

Honestly I don't have a problem with Rory complaining that she was "broke" even though we know she had at least one trust fund to fall back on.  Depending on trust fund money to live on is not a wise use of the money, because it will disappear fairly quickly that way.

Yeah, Rory should have got that trust fund when she was 25. I wouldn't mind if she wasn't living off the trust fund - that would actually show some common sense because like you said the money will disappear fast that. But they needed to explain that. All that was needed was Rory saying "Oh yeah I don't want to touch that money/I put it in a long term, high interest account for ten years and can't access it." 

What also bugged me was that I remember Emily and Richard buying Rory a NY apartment in s7. (When they thought she got the NYT Fellowship). Yeah they said they'd sell it when she didn't and I know ASP didn't bother to watch s7 because she's petty. But that's an irritating continuity error and would have been a logical way to explain Rory's financial situation. If E/R had bought her an apartment so she didn't have to pay rent, then it might be believable she survived day to day as a freelance journalist. She'd only have to pay for food/clothes/etc. Plus there's no way Emily and Richard Gilmore would let her their beloved grandchild live in a sticky-walled Brooklyn apartment. And revival!Rory isn't the type to turn down living off someone else. Doesn't solve the jetting off to London weekly problem (presumably Logan pays for that) - but would solve how she was "broke" but could somehow afford to live and eat. 

Honestly the biggest problem with Rory - and a lot of the revival - was they didn't explain anything. They didn't explain Rory's financial situation, her career of the past ten years (apart from that endlessly-revered New Yorker article), her situation/feelings for Logan - anything. And it showed because there were a hundred plotholes, all of which made her look even worse. And I'm sure that goes back to the problem that ASP was writing this for alt-s7, 22-year old Rory and just plain couldn't be bothered to put in the extra effort and build a background for the past decade. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
1 hour ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Yeah they said they'd sell it when she didn't and I know ASP didn't bother to watch s7 because she's petty. But that's an irritating continuity error and would have been a logical way to explain Rory's financial situation. If E/R had bought her an apartment so she didn't have to pay rent, then it might be believable she survived day to day as a freelance journalist. She'd only have to pay for food/clothes/etc. 

Honestly the biggest problem with Rory - and a lot of the revival - was they didn't explain anything. They didn't explain Rory's financial situation, her career of the past ten years (apart from that endlessly-revered New Yorker article), her situation/feelings for Logan - anything. And it showed because there were a hundred plotholes, all of which made her look even worse. And I'm sure that goes back to the problem that ASP was writing this for alt-s7, 22-year old Rory and just plain couldn't be bothered to put in the extra effort and build a background for the past decade. 

Testify.

1 hour ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Yeah, Rory should have got that trust fund when she was 25. I wouldn't mind if she wasn't living off the trust fund - that would actually show some common sense because like you said the money will disappear fast that. But they needed to explain that. All that was needed was Rory saying "Oh yeah I don't want to touch that money/I put it in a long term, high interest account for ten years and can't access it." 

What also bugged me was that I remember Emily and Richard buying Rory a NY apartment in s7. (When they thought she got the NYT Fellowship). Yeah they said they'd sell it when she didn't and I know ASP didn't bother to watch s7 because she's petty. But that's an irritating continuity error and would have been a logical way to explain Rory's financial situation. If E/R had bought her an apartment so she didn't have to pay rent, then it might be believable she survived day to day as a freelance journalist. She'd only have to pay for food/clothes/etc. Plus there's no way Emily and Richard Gilmore would let her their beloved grandchild live in a sticky-walled Brooklyn apartment. And revival!Rory isn't the type to turn down living off someone else. Doesn't solve the jetting off to London weekly problem (presumably Logan pays for that) - but would solve how she was "broke" but could somehow afford to live and eat. 

Preach.

I am so tempted to turn ficland to fill the void.

Jess. He made this episode for me. Milo was able to express that he matured from what young Jess used to be with very few lines.  

I liked child April but really wish they had adult April go another direction than what we got.

After thinking about it, I am not liking a lot of people's hair (and toupees/wigs) in these Netflix episodes.

I think everyone has made the same comments that I want to make about Rory/Logan, Lorelai's sudden need to be one with nature, mean-spirited fat shaming, and such that I will just keep moving until something compels me to speak up.

Edited by Enigma X
16 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Lorelai's sudden need to be one with nature

Luke's reaction to her announcement gave me insight to how they behaved over the intervening years.  She said something crazy, in this case going on the long trek.  Being the nature expert that he is, he asked her a long list of questions, quite technical, and her answers showed that she was mostly aware of what she was getting into.

As he himself said, he let her drive many of the decisions over the previous nine years, because he was happy.  In this case, once he was confident she would be reasonably OK, he accepted her decision.  That's a good sign of a mature relationship.  It was only later, after he pondered this situation, then he realized it was possible that she might leave him. But by then she was gone.

12 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Luke's reaction to her announcement gave me insight to how they behaved over the intervening years.

But Luke has always gone along with what Lorelai decides she wants to do.  Remember their conversation about the Durham Group?  Luke asked questions and expressed concern about the travel (and the kids), and asked if she was accepting the job but never once said he didn't want her to do it.  He always knew it was her decision, same thing with doing Wild.  And I disagree that he didn't realize it might mean she was leaving until later.  When Luke finally says, "Well, I guess you know what's out there.  But you're still going to go?" you can see it in his face. 

I found their argument more interesting, especially Luke saying she set up their lives the way they were and Lorelai not even realizing she had.  But looking back at the series I see how accurate that was.  Lorelai decided how their lives would work and Luke went along with it.  It worked well for them because having that control was more important to her than to him (probably the single parent thing) and because she always made his preferences/happiness a high priority.  The times it didn't work were when she came too close to parts of Luke's life that he wanted to retain control over--Jess, Nicole, and April.  I would even say Lorelai's ultimatum with no discussion permitted in Partings was her attempt to take back control of their lives together.

I just realized this also extends to Rory.  Even though I completely understand her objections to Rory's book it's interesting that it's something else Lorelai has no control over.

I also love that their argument in the diner ends with Luke going to the Dragonfly to fix a situation that Lorelai caused by not dealing with replacing Sookie.

On 11/26/2016 at 0:38 AM, chitowngirl said:

I did like them hiring "parasol boys" for the day.

Did they actually hire them?  All of a sudden, they were there and the Gilmore Girls were ordering them around and it was so weird and went on too long. 

Another thing - the Secret Bar thing was cute, but...doesn't Stars Hollow have bars?  Didn't we see the bachelor and bachelorette parties attempt to go to one before Lane and Zach got married?  And wasn't Christopher drinking in one before his and Luke's fistfight?

6 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Another thing - the Secret Bar thing was cute, but...doesn't Stars Hollow have bars?  Didn't we see the bachelor and bachelorette parties attempt to go to one before Lane and Zach got married?  And wasn't Christopher drinking in one before his and Luke's fistfight?

I thought the same thing but then chalked the whole secret bar thing up as another way to make Stars Hollow and its residents quirky.

21 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

It was Casey's  and that was in Season Seven. (The Season that ASP picked and chose what she would acknowledge.)

That was the same bar that Lorelai sang I Will Always Love You

1 hour ago, lulu1960 said:

It was Casey's  and that was in Season Seven. (The Season that ASP picked and chose what she would acknowledge.)

That was the same bar that Lorelai sang I Will Always Love You

Zach and Lane got married Season 6 though.  So there was a bar by then unless they went to the next town? Dean's bachelor party too.

7 minutes ago, deaja said:

Zach and Lane got married Season 6 though.  So there was a bar by then unless they went to the next town? Dean's bachelor party too.

Well, there's this from Richard in Stars Hollow:

PARIS: Well, where’s the local bar?
RORY: In Woodbridge.

And this from I Get a Sidekick Out of You, though they don't say what town they're in.  I guess you could say DR didn't have continuity in season 7 as easily as ASP didn't in the revival.  I think the Secret Bar is perfect for Stars Hollow, too bad they didn't do that from the start.

LANE: What are you guys doing here?
GIL: We just came from Dell's bar.
BRIAN: It closed early 'cause it's Dell's wedding anniversary.
LORELAI: Dell's is closed? Shoot. We were gonna go there after the movie.
RORY: Well, we could go to the chimney sweep.
SOOKIE: No it burnt down last week.
RORY: That’s ironic.
GIL: We could drive over to beacon falls, anything open there?
LORELAI: No

The more I think about it, the more i really hate the running "joke" about The 30-Something Gang.  Something about it was both very TV (nobody in real life would deem the people they hang out with "The 30-Something Gang") and also mean-spirited in some weird way.

Also, does everyone in town just get a copy of the Gazette for free?  Because Rory and Lorelai were running around throwing them at people, throwing them in car windows, etc.  That's not how that works.  

And why, after yammering on about the tradition of the paper, does Rory come in and immediately remove the traditional poem from the paper?

To end on a positive note, Lorelai very subtly shutting down as Rory started to talk about her book, before they even got to the bigger fight, was a nice piece of business from Lauren Graham.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:09 PM, Miss Slay said:

Just got around to watching, late to the party as always!

I have two trust funds, one didn't kick in until I was 35, the other when I turned 40. Maybe Trixie and Richard were smart enough to do the same thing? I know in my own case, I never would have made anything out of myself if I had received the money earlier.

Who am I kidding? This is just shitty writing, I should just accept it. This entire episode bummed me out. I won't even comment on the fat shaming! That infuriated me!!!

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:27 AM, wendyg said:

I have a friend that is probably a lot like you. She trains horses (hunter/jumpers) and wrote an article for Professional Horseman, and from that got asked to write others. Her real money comes from seminars she's asked to teach and lectures. She's always flying off to somewhere!

I can't see that amount of interest in something Rory would write though.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, shron17 said:

Well, there's this from Richard in Stars Hollow:

And this from I Get a Sidekick Out of You, though they don't say what town they're in.  I guess you could say DR didn't have continuity in season 7 as easily as ASP didn't in the revival.  I think the Secret Bar is perfect for Stars Hollow, too bad they didn't do that from the start.

What I first thought of, was Jackson and Christopher going out for a beer. Did they drive to Woodbury for that?

8 minutes ago, Mick Lady said:

What I first thought of, was Jackson and Christopher going out for a beer. Did they drive to Woodbury for that?

That was at Casey's, which was in Stars Hollow all of season 7 but never mentioned in earlier seasons.  It sounded like there was no bar in Stars Hollow before then.

1 minute ago, shron17 said:

That was at Casey's, which was in Stars Hollow all of season 7 but never mentioned in earlier seasons.  It sounded like there was no bar in Stars Hollow before then.

Thanks shron17! I can remember stuff like that about Supernatural, but GG not so much.

This episode is definitely ruined by the musical. There is no reason to bring back all of the characters only to have Sutton appear for no real reason, and take time from their storylines . She admittedly annoys me but along with that she has nothing to do with GG. 

Was browsing Netflix and clicked on Episode 3 just where Emily introduced Jack to Lorelai. I watched to the end of the episode, and what struck me was how much 3 reminded me of season 6. Emily was hateful without reason, Lorelai was unrecognizable, Rory didn't like the way Lorelai was treating her, Luke was doing everything her way.

In fact, Lorelai kept getting her way - the Dragonfly was in a constant state of turmoil because the owner was not taking business-like action to save it because her business partner let her down. So here we have Lorelai with complete control over her life, and she hates what she's created or allowed, and the fact that neither Emily nor Rory behave the way Lorelai wants.

I hate this episode, but until now I hadn't seen that I hate it for the same reasons I hate season 6 - Lorelai is not Lorelai, and her inaction leaves scorched earth behind her.

One real moment I enjoyed was the interaction between Rory and Jess? He was in great form - far beyond what Rory had achieved. He even offered her money.