Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Summer

• Start Topic

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:34 PM, ghoulina said:

Family obligations. They never wanted Rory for him. 

Sure, but he had already proposed to her.  And Mitchum is the Huntsberger with the $$$ and I think he would have been fine with Rory and Logan being together.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, steff13 said:

Sure, but he had already proposed to her.  And Mitchum is the Huntsberger with the $$$ and I think he would have been fine with Rory and Logan being together.

Mitchum did seem ok with them being together by the end. In season 6 and 7, he was more bothered about Logan growing up and acting his age than Logan’s relationship with Rory. I feel in a way, he might have thought Rory was good for Logan.

1 minute ago, elang4 said:

Mitchum did seem ok with them being together by the end. In season 6 and 7, he was more bothered about Logan growing up and acting his age than Logan’s relationship with Rory. I feel in a way, he might have thought Rory was good for Logan.

I agree.  I don't think Mitchum even had a problem with them in season 5, when his dad and Shira were freaking out.  I think they were good for each other.  I have always been #TeamLogan. 

At long last, I have finally decided to watch the 4 movies on Netflix. I was so in love with the original Gilmore Girls that I did not want the revival to color my memories. It was literally my all-time favorite show. 

I've now watched the first 3 and am so disappointed.

The Good Parts: It was lovely to see so many of the faces of the original townspeople as well as people like the Headmaster, Francie, Logan, Mitchum, April, Caesar, etc.... The memories came flooding back. There were some good scenes - Michel/Lorelai in the Secret Bar, Paris/Rory at Chilton, Lorelai/Rory distributing the newspapers and the town meetings. Even Taylor - who I usually despised - was okay. 

Unfortunately, I really did not like almost anything else. More importantly, the show did not hold my attention and grab the "feels" like the original series did. I really did not like the fat jokes, Emily/Real Estate Agent seizing on the misfortune of other diner owners for a bargain location, Rory being Logan's girl on the side, Rory working for free when she had no other income, Rory/Lorelai at the pool, Lorelai and Emily fighting so much, 

Sad. 

12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

All the magic was gone. I guess lightning really never does strike the same spot twice.

I honestly don't know a single reboot that has ever lived up to the original.  Culture changes over the years, the actors age or have had surgery, and the stories either don't fit with the way it used to be or are outdated if they try to recreate the mood.

I hate reboots and this one was just abysmal.

On 11/25/2016 at 8:22 PM, tankgirl73 said:

I guess I'm on an island... I loved the musical bits. But... I'm a theatre nerd. I'm the musical director for a local theatre company. Everyone I know who is a theatre nerd would be in hysterics over these musical scenes. I *died*.

I think I get why it would fall flat for non-theatre-nerds. I guess it could come across as an in-joke. The fact that it goes on too long is part of the joke. It's just so very, very bad... Lorelai was the only one who was right, everyone else was bizarre for loving it. It was *supposed* to be painfully terrible. But it's also poking fun at various theatre cliches at the same time. The different theatre styles, from classic broadway to Hamilton rap to modern pop meandering melodies, it was utter perfection. The repetitive choreography... so painful. To see a pro like Sutton Foster whole-heartedly hamming it up with this terrible choreography, she must have been having a *blast*.

The show we're working on right now is Beauty and the Beast. Which I'm appearing on stage for, not just musical direction. In "Be Our Guest", there's a big build-up, and then Cogsworth sees what happens and runs out yelling "noooooooooo not a KICKLINE!!" (which is just about the funniest thing in the whole show) and of course we go into a huge over-the-top cliche kickline. With almost the very same choreo they did here. So when Lorelai did almost the same with "what's next, a kickline?" I absolutely *lost it*.

I'll agree that the fat-shaming was bad. But for theatre geeks, the musical scenes were the best part.

The first viewing of this episode, the musical was annoying. This is my 3rd or 4th run through the entire series and I now find the musical hysterical. The music is sure to be earworms, the lyrics are awful, the dancing…..wow! I would have loved to have seen the outtakes and bloopers of this. And the expressions of the the writer Taylor hired, gold I tell ya. “Pure gold Jerry”. I mean I’m tapping my toe and singing along to “Stars Hollow” it’s so bad.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:59 AM, LisaM said:

the show did not hold my attention and grab the "feels" like the original series did. I really did not like the fat jokes, Emily/Real Estate Agent seizing on the misfortune of other diner owners for a bargain location, Rory being Logan's girl on the side, Rory working for free when she had no other income, Rory/Lorelai at the pool, Lorelai and Emily fighting so much

In addition, Lorelai and Rory weren't close any more. 

Summer was the worst of the 4 episodes of AYITL, no? I was really bothered by Rory in this one. Kind people of Stars Hollow welcome her back to where she would yell "I'm not back!" The Thirty-Something Gang seemed close, happy, and supportive and Rory turned her nose up at them because she thought that she, being a thirty-something, unemployed, homeless, directionless "journalist" was better than them. Lorelai was the same way with their parents when that mother said the parents of The Thirty-Something Gang who got together to review resumes and trade job tips. How dare these people be friendly and supportive! Don't they know they are townie losers who shouldn't even speak in the presence of Lorelai or Rory? And don't get me started on how they were at the pool.

Best part of AYITL was Emily and her learning who she is now that the man she spent 2/3 of her life with was gone. I do wonder how different it would have been had Edward Hermann not passed.