Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Summer

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Leonana said:

I wonder if Liz Torees had health issues, and that limited her time on the show. I don't know that for sure, but wondered if it was the case.

She did look REALLY thin.  And not in a "oh, she lost weight to be healthier" way.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this is definitely the case, but I read that Liz Torees had gastric bypass surgery? It was definitely distracting how much weight she'd lost, she just looked so different. It was very odd not to see Miss Patty at the town meetings next to Taylor, so I'm guessing there was a behind the scenes reason that they couldn't use her as much, but who knows 

And agreed with everyone else on the musical going on for waaaay too long, this was definitely my least favourite of the revival so far. I did like the Lorelai and Michele scenes though, I thought that they were very touching with them obviously both being sad about it, but neither could really argue that it made sense for him to stay at the Dragonfly. And Luke and Lorelai's relationship still being in the same miserable place when it came to communication was a bit of a downer, but I was never a fan of them, so to be honest I felt more vindicated than disappointed lol. 

1 hour ago, starri said:

She did look REALLY thin.  And not in a "oh, she lost weight to be healthier" way.

She doesn't look healthy to me, at all, and it seriously breaks my heart.  As in, I've cried actual tears over the way she looks (because I hate when my favorite actors begin to show their age, it reminds me that they won't be with us forever).  I miss the sassy, larger-than-life Miss Patty.

I knew when I saw the dreaded words "Directed by Daniel Palladino" at the beginning of Spring and Summer, that we were going to be going into tertiary townie character hell with bad jokes and "whimsical" town events that were way overplayed and Summer totally delivered on all those fronts. I mean was anyone really clamoring for the return of Bootsy? And the jokes about Luke and the floaty hut would have been funny if it hadn't gone on way too long.  It was good for one joke at the most.  I had horrible secondhand embarrassment watching the musical (which also went on too damn long).  Sutton Foster is a national treasure, but everything about the musical was just cringe-worthy.  I would have much rather watched the entire town stand in line to smack Rory across the face.  Rory's so spineless and spoiled.  She flounders around until something is handed to her because she really can't stand on her own two feet.  The paper is handed to her by Taylor (which was that even a paying job?), and her book idea is handed to her by Jess. She's so snotty about moving back home too, "Oh no, I'm not back!", uhhh.....girl you have no job and not a lot of prospects, so maybe don't be so rude about it.  Things in life don't always work out the way you have planned and Rory's never had to worry about the very real problems people have when they find themselves without a job, so it makes her whining even more annoying. 

Edited by sashabear21

but everything about the musical was just cringe-worthy.  I would have much rather watched the entire town stand in line to smack Rory across the face

Oh my god, I laughed so much harder at this awesome post than any of the 'funny' parts of this episode! Now I need your idea to become a fanfic :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend

I fully expected to hate the musical but instead I thought it was pretty funny.  For me it summed up all that is odd/unique/eccentric about Stars Hollow.  

Hated the scenes with the umbrella boys.  It was Lorelai and Rory at their self-indulgent worst.  I watched that thinking to myself , are we supposed to like these characters? 

As usual, any amount of the April character was too much.

The musical didn't outright bother me, but only in the sense that all the episodes were meandering and aimless so this was par for the course. The action and character development should have been much more focused in a short series like this. ASP seemed to still be writing for a 22 episode season. Too many la, la, la moments that went nowhere.

The child parasol holders made me angry for real. They're just human props in Lorelai and Rory's mother/daughter snark world. Make them call you m'lady, my ass.

Edited by lordonia
7 hours ago, Bec said:

I thought the last part of the musical was going to be modern day Stars Hollow with Sutton Foster playing the part of Lorelai.

See... THAT would have been both a clever wink at the audience AND funny.

Apparently too clever for ASP.

2 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

I knew when I saw the dreaded words "Directed by Daniel Palladino" at the beginning of Spring and Summer, that we were going to be going into tertiary townie character hell with bad jokes and "whimsical" town events that were way overplayed and Summer totally delivered on all those fronts.

So true with Summer. Which surprised me only because Spring was actually pretty good (better than ASP's preceding Winter episode at the very least). 

Zach looks like someone's grandfather next Lane. Good God, who thought it was a good idea for him to have a beard?

APRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY! And yes 100% reason for that excitement is thanks to the actress' role in Switched at birth. I became a fan for life.

"Do you smoke pot?". "Nah." LOL!

"April's mine. I got it!" WOW. S6 flashbacks. You know, it's so hypocrite that Luke can call Rory a little bit his and Lorelai doesn't get to have that with April. Fuck you, Luke. I was actually liking you in this revival.

Rory and Logan's phone conversation felt like a more complicated version of Dean and Rory in S4. Only, I can actually see the appeal of Logan but somehow it's twice as gross! Man, Rory needs to get some therapy to deal with her getting involved with men already commited to other women. This is a very worrying pattern. I hope the arrival adresses this.

I thought Jess would be a lot more in this revival considering the trailers. There's TONS of Logan, good God why. I guess we're really supposed to be caring more about Rory's career (yes I'm writing as I watch the episode). Which, cool! There's a first time for everything and what we've got so far I'm really digging.

If Rory has a Journalism degree on Yale university does it mean she went to Journalism school there? 

Oh man, I really felt for Lorelai during the secret bar scene. But I get Michel completely. It was almost too real for Gilmore Girls. Thank God they did the hiding bit from taylor to balance it out. That was fantatic!

(I'm kinda low key hating Sookie for abandoning Lorelai like this)

As cute and natural it is for Rory to spend some time on Stars Hollow Gazette I can't help but but be bothered by her not making any money at all. Is being a journalist really that brutal? 

Milo said he would be in like 2 and a half episodes, what happened????

I'm sorry I coudn't sit through the musical. One day I'll watch it properly.

"Our lives were set up by you, I just went along with it (...) Ask your therapist!" FUCK YOU LUKE!!!! FUCK YOOOOOOOOOU!! OMG! You hateful, weakling, miserable man. FUCK. YOU. 

"I'm protecting your for some reason." Lane has damn fine instincts. Man, I hate that they made Rory actually emotionally dependent on frigging Logan. What a mess.

#teamLorelai4ever

If Rory has a Journalism degree on Yale university does it mean she went to Journalism school there? 

Oh man, I really felt for Lorelai during the secret bar scene. But I get Michel completely. It was almost too real for Gilmore Girls. Thank God they did the hiding bit from taylor to balance it out. That was fantatic!

As cute and natural it is for Rory to spend some time on Stars Hollow Gazette I can't help but but be bothered by her not making any money at all. Is being a journalist really that brutal? 

As a former journalist, yes it is getting that hard. So many jobs are lost from layoffs and attrition (i.e. not eliminating positions after retirements altogether instead of hiring replacements). The digital revolution has also made it hard to make any real money as a freelancer. Also, I believe Rory has a degree in English from Yale, which doesn't offer an undergraduate journalism program.

Where is Anna? Why isn't Anna fronting up 1/2 for MIT and Germany? 
Watching Luke and Lorelai... basically Luke and Lorelai is why I am and always been #TeamChristopher (and Had been season "Christopher Returns".). and I'm glad Christopher is out of that circle of drama. 

Fat Shaming is not cool. At all. 

Jess was only here for a moment. Shame. I love him. (I also loved the hug and hat throw). 

What is frustrating me is. they talk to Netflix. they get 4 episodes. so you only have 6 hrs to work with. And this is the bestest they can come up with? like - I can enjoy it but there is this big ever lasting... but it could be so much better.....

17 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

HELLO JESS. Please save Rory from herself.

That's one of Rory's problems, IMO. Someone else saves her. I liked it when Lorelei told her she'd lived a pretty charmed life so far and so a bit of failure was in the cards.

The fat-shaming was completely unnecessary and absolutely unfunny.

9 hours ago, Bec said:

now that his character is written as someone who has matured, it's really easy to love Jess

We saw that in whatever season it was where Rory went to visit Jess in Philadelphia, but it's nice to see it's continued. I also like that we saw Jess and Luke still close. I loved Jess throwing Luke's baseball cap into the street, though.

I agree the musical was way, way too long. They obviously wanted to get their money's worth out of Christian Borle, Sutton Foster, and the Jeanine Tesori songs.

1 hour ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

"April's mine. I got it!" WOW. S6 flashbacks. You know, it's so hypocrite that Luke can call Rory a little bit his and Lorelai doesn't get to have that with April.

Well, to be fair, Luke has known Rory a lot longer than Lorelei (and Luke, for that matter) has known April. I'm not sure Luke was contributing monetarily for Rory, so it seems fair that he doesn't expect Lorelei to contribute for April.

1 hour ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

Is being a journalist really that brutal? 

Yes. Newspapers are dying, and websites are still trying to figure out how to monetize content.

Where is Anna? Why isn't Anna fronting up 1/2 for MIT and Germany? 

That's what I was wondering when Lorelai was talking about how much money Luke was putting up for April.  Where's her wonderful mother who couldn't be bothered to even tell Luke she existed?  Guess she's perfectly fine letting him foot all of her bills now. 

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Watching Luke and Lorelai... basically Luke and Lorelai is why I am and always been #TeamChristopher (and Had been season "Christopher Returns".). and I'm glad Christopher is out of that circle of drama. 

I was beginning to think I was the only one!  I re-watched the series (sort of--one channel had a 7 day straight binge-a-thon and I saw bits of the early seasons and then all the last season (since I never re-watched it)). Anyhow--I really loved Christopher and Lorelai, and I think the weird Luke jealousy was out of character and done just to sabotage him.  He wasn't a mature teenager--shock. But he did eventually grow up, like most of us, and he always understood Lorelai in a wait that no one else ever did.  At the very least they should have been best friends forever, but it made me sad that they aren't still close in this time frame.

Edited by Ailianna
Just now, Ailianna said:

I was beginning to think I was the only one!  I re-watched the series (sort of--one channel had a 7 day straight binge-a-thon and I saw bits of the early seasons and then all the last season (since I never re-watched it)). Anyhow--I really loved Christopher and Lorelei, and I think the weird Luke jealousy was out of character and done just to sabotage him.  He wasn't a mature teenager--shock. But he did eventually grow up, like most of us, and he always understood Lorelei in a wait that no one else ever did.  At the very least they should have been best friends forever, but it made me sad that they aren't still close in this time frame.

HI... welcome to my little island, there is currently 3 people (you being the third). but I have really good cookies. (nod). 

Going by the facebook discussions i've had, I figure most people love Luke + Lorelai - because it's Luke and Lorelai and that's how it was supposed to be . I never got why I was supposed to hate Christopher (except that one small moment Season 3 Episode 1, but Lorelai wasn't using her words really either). But I loathed how he was treated in Season 7 near the end... and i'm happy, it's he, Gigi and they can figure life out where they can work with non Gilmores ;)

(but yeah. the fact that they aren't BFFs or talk often.. it saddens me. I always got that he was her BFF even before Rory and the sex). 

So I'll start out by saying that for the first half or so of "Winter," I was really feeling for Rory. I, too, went to school for writing and journalism, and I've had a rough year that has involved several job losses, a move out of my own Brooklyn apartment, and even the loss of not just one, but both of my grandfathers this summer. I'm about five years behind her age-wise, but the similarities were striking. 

But man has she annoyed the crap out of me in this revival since! I haven't watched the final episode and after how much I wanted to scream at her this episode, I'm kind of afraid to in case she gets worse? The whole Rory/Logan thing has rubbed me the wrong way since "Winter," but it came to a head this episode. Just stop. Get out of each other's orbits already.

And I was very annoyed with her attitude towards the Thirysomething Gang -- you are not better than them, Rory, you're just not. Stop acting like it. You're basically in the same boat, what gives?

This actually annoyed me too. I grew up in a town with less than 3,000 people, which I think we're supposed to believe is about how big Stars Hollow is, though from personal experience there is seriously no way that's possible with all Stars Hollow has going on. Anyway. During breaks and a few summers in college I wrote for our town paper and I got paid. It wasn't much, but it was something. I can see how maybe that's not the case in every small town, but that paper seemed to have a pretty extensive distribution and looked like it had plenty of ads.

The paper I wrote for has since been absorbed by a company that produces and distributes for five or six similarly-sized towns in the area. And A) it's puzzling to me that a paper that is still supposedly operating well wouldn't be snatched up by a similar operation and B) how bizarre is it that they wouldn't pay the editor SOMETHING? Again, given that the paper supposedly does okay. 

Yes, journalism and the media in general has changed a lot, and Rory was educated and graduated into a weird period for the career field. Much of my own experience post-college has been in online media. Especially as she's living at home, this is a good time for Rory to be putting feelers out to lots of different websites and to see what she prefers, since she doesn't have to focus on making rent and paying the bills.

She seriously is driving me crazy here -- in the first episode they made it sound like she'd been published on some pretty big sites, so she must have diversified her work and made connections. Where is the Rory who put out 73 resumes back in the day? I know sometimes people go through rough stuff and need a break -- again, I relate to Rory in some regards because I've done some of that myself this year. But good God, girl, get your self together.

I've been watching each episode and then sitting down to re-watch it while my family watches each the first time around, and frankly, I'm putting off watching this one with them. Between Rory, the musical, the fat jokes, and L/L STILL having the same communication issues, it really put me off. 

One positive: I have a soft spot for April because, like others, I love the actress in Switched at Birth, but also because I think she's a much more intense version of me when I graduated college! 

Oh my God - that was horrendous.

I actually had to stop watching and walk away after the musical numbers. If anyone had told me I would turn it off during the musical numbers before I watched I wouldn't have believed them.

Un.  Bear.  Able.

That was everything I hated about seasons six and seven all crammed into one.

Lorelai and Rory having child slaves by the pool while insulting people's physical appearances was so tone-deaf to both the characters and the show I would have assumed it wasn't even written by the Paladinos. Then we follow that up with Rory still refusing to break things off with Logan followed by Rory finding out about the Stars Hollow Gazette for the first time ever and then begrudgingly swooping in to save it, all the while Luke is forced to jeopardize his business because of Lorelai's incapacity as a manager and business owner to find another cook?! And then poor Christian Borle and Sutton Foster get to perform something so bad it actually made the Twickham House Museum seem gloriously hilarious by comparison.

By the time we reach the DAR meeting, which was probably the worst scripted Dar meeting I had ever seen and not funny in any way at all, I had to hit pause and go off and make myself something to eat out of sheer boredom and frustration.

Things picked up a little bit after that but then it promptly crashed and burned. Rory has no right to b**** and moan about her problems which aren't really problems at all, especially in light of the fact that Lane is raising two kids and still trying to get her band off the ground.

Milo gave his scene with Rory his all, and even brought back some of their latent chemistry, but it was all for naught because apparently Amy and Dan are too stupid to just let the two hottest characters on the show finally have sex after 7 agonizing seasons.

Rory announces to her mother that she's publishing their life story for the world to read because her career is in the crapper and obviously doesn't even give her mother a chance to voice her input on the whole idea. I applauded Lorelai standing up her daughter then, especially when she pulled out the "I really need this / how dare you take it from me!" card which again is about the lowest thing she could have done in that moment especially considering where they were standing. I wanted Lorelai to go off on her bratty brat of a daughter but of course she didn't and we're supposed to sympathize with Rory somehow? Go to hell you little snot. If you can't come up with any good story ideas besides writing a biography you have severe problems. And you are not supposed to be a writer. Your mother, the one you adore and admire should be your first priority. If this makes her uncomfortable then that should be the end of it.

Then we had Emily with her maybe boyfriend....which is maybe the most random and sudden thing even if it was a bit of set up in the first movie. I don't even know how to feel about it because it makes a bit of sense but I'm not sure if Emily is even really involved with this guy or not because the narrative is so screwy. And he isn't the character from the show who we could at least have some context for. He's just some guy with no personality but apparently we're supposed to hate him...or like him...?!?

And finally we end on a super cliche song telling Lorelai to go...hike in the mountains? Because it's now or never? Hey Lorelai, here's a thought: why don't you propose to that lovely man who's been dealing with your b******* for like over two decades now?!? And why don't you make it a good proposal this time instead of some desperate attempt to settle your nerves after your daughter has manufactured some drama?

I cannot believe I just watched three movies and none of them gave us the one thing that we desperately wanted from the show: Luke and Lorelai happy together, having sex, laughing, helping each other be better people, and generally feeling good!!!

I'm seriously disappointed right now. Jokes falling flat I can handle. Characters being stupid a bit I can handle. But this is worse than that. This is clearly proving to me that Amy insists season 6 was good and great and fine and we just didn't get the drama and how brilliant it was.

I hated that so much. Summer has definitely been the worst chapter, to the degree that I'm not sure I want to see Fall.

Edited by DisneyBoy
On 11/26/2016 at 7:03 AM, msani19 said:

Ummm...Rory. The woman Logan is engaged to has the nerve to move in with him. Imagine the gall! She's ridiculous. I was so irritated at that scene. What a bad look for her and him. 

So....ugh. At this point all the episode have been underwhelming with no progression.

Pretty much what everyone else said about this episode: The fat jokes and child slaves were yuck and the height of Rory and Lorelai's self-absorption. (And that's saying a lot). The musical went on way too long and wasted valuable time on pure filler that wasn't even entertaining. Rory cheating on Paul with Logan should never have been a thing, much less carried over three out of four episodes. And her disapproval of his girlfriend moving in and him treating her like a thing on the side was unbelievable. Rory he's hiding you in a hotel room like his mistress because that's what you are. 

Unpopular opinion: I liked seeing April. She's clearly going through that social justice, self-righteous stage of young adulthood but the show acknowledged how over the top she was. (Admittedly I'm biased because I'm exactly her age in grad school, and am guilty of going off on social justice and political rants). Her admitting that she only smoked pot once and worrying about the future showed her vulnerabilities nicely. (Though the anxiety attack was not amusing tbh). 

The scene with Michel was one of the best, most genuine scenes in this entire revival. Who'd have thought that Michel would be the one having proper character development and heartfelt moments? Makes me wish they used more of him in the original show.

4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

And finally we end on a super cliche song telling Lorelai to go...hike in the mountains? Because it's now or never? Hey Lorelai, here's a thought: why don't you propose to that lovely man who's been dealing with your b******* for like over two decades now?!? And why don't you make it a good proposal this time instead of some desperate attempt to settle your nerves after your daughter has manufactured some drama?

I cannot believe I just watched three movies and none of them gave us the one thing that we desperately wanted from the show: Luke and Lorelai happy together, having sex, laughing, helping each other be better people, and generally feeling good!!!

I'm seriously disappointed right now. Jokes falling flat I can handle. Characters being stupid a bit I can handle. But this is worse than that this is clearly proving to me that Amy insists season 6 was good and great and fine and we just didn't get the drama and how brilliant it was.

I hated that so much.

Lorelai dealing with her crisis by going on a hike is so out of character. When she came in to talk to Luke, I desperately hoped she was going with: "Luke, I never asked. What do you want in our relationship?" (Which would have naturally developed from her realization in Winter that she calls too many of the shots). Instead she made it All About Lorelai again. And I fully expect that Fall will be Luke pulling some grand, romantic proposal to win the woman who, at this point, doesn't deserve him. 

They've picked up and dropped dozens of plot threads for Lorelai: Surrogate pregnancy, therapy, her whole conflict with Emily (the fight at the funeral and mysterious letter), expanding the Inn, not being so self-centered with Luke. None of those were concluded and her trek into the wilderness doesn't feel like a natural way to tie it all together. They needed to make small but consistent steps with her path, not go in so many different directions.

15 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

Sutton Foster is a national treasure, but everything about the musical was just cringe-worthy.  I would have much rather watched the entire town stand in line to smack Rory across the face.  Rory's so spineless and spoiled.  She flounders around until something is handed to her because she really can't stand on her own two feet.  The paper is handed to her by Taylor (which was that even a paying job?), and her book idea is handed to her by Jess. She's so snotty about moving back home too, "Oh no, I'm not back!", uhhh.....girl you have no job and not a lot of prospects, so maybe don't be so rude about it.  Things in life don't always work out the way you have planned and Rory's never had to worry about the very real problems people have when they find themselves without a job, so it makes her whining even more annoying. 

Rory has been horrible in her personal life, and while her professional life has been one of the better executed plotlines, (in that, it's actually had y'know plot and developed things), her writing a book has a lot of plot holes. Despite being "broke", she's just going to grab a new apartment and write a book? With no regular job on the side?  Presumably it will be so successful she'll never have to work again/get offered some high flying writing job. As a lot of us have said Rory does seem more of a book-writer than investigative journalist, but at least give her some "making ends meet" work meanwhile. (Like the SH Gazette actually paying would be a start). 

And ughh, Rory's constant snobbery of the 30-Something's Gang was Gilmore Girls elitism at it's finest. No, you're not any better than them Rory, especially as the most you've done since being home is lounge around the pool and take on unpaid work.

13 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

I thought Jess would be a lot more in this revival considering the trailers. There's TONS of Logan, good God why. I guess we're really supposed to be caring more about Rory's career (yes I'm writing as I watch the episode). Which, cool! There's a first time for everything and what we've got so far I'm really digging.

On 11/26/2016 at 5:49 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I have a love-hate thing for this particular episode. A lot of ugly feelings came out for a lot of people, that's for sure.

Ok, I'll start with this: Jess! Hello! Even though you unintentionally became the catalyst for all the major fighting in this episode, you still have good intentions. I like that he always is around to help motivate characters. He really got me liking Rory finally settling down with somewhat of an idea. Their scenes just work well. He's certainly grown up since season 2, that's for sure. And how he really believes in the Lorelai/Rory relationship, even if Lorelai still dislikes him or, at the very least, doesn't trust him? Good guy. Plus, him throwing Luke's hat into the street is one of the funniest moments of the revival so far. 

And to end things on a high note, since there was no Paris (but a scene of Doyle!), HELLO JESS. Please save Rory from herself. She's her own worst enemy who might surely go back to Logan, and that would put a serious damper on the end of this revival. 

Also yes, where the hell has Jess been? For the ex-boyfriend who was promoted the most beforehand it looks like his total screen time was already shown in the trailer. Then again, given how most of the characters have been butchered his absence is probably a good thing. If Jess is just there as the only character whose got his life together, and ready to dispense wise advice and lend money that's fine. (Who would have thought ten years down the line Jess would be the one offering Rory the hand up!) Lorelai still hating him is getting old. It's been like fifteen years since he broke her freaking wrist. Presumably Rory never told her that he inspired her to go back to Yale, or Lorelai just doesn't care. I'd hope for a genuine Lorelai/Rory/Luke/Jess scene but given what this revival has prioritized... 

The Luke/Jess moment was great, I'd have killed for a genuine Jess/Luke chat. I think one of my biggest disappointments in the revival is the lack of secondary character sub-plots: Luke and Paris have got some attention, but it's been pretty disjointed and uninspired. (The scene with Paris in the toilets was the only part where I felt I got her pov, while Luke is still a mystery). Meanwhile Lane, Logan, Jess, Doyle and Sookie (admittedly not AS-P's fault there) have been non-existent or purely for supporting Lorelai/Rory's stories. Which would have been ok if a) their stories had been any good or b) the secondary character time wasn't filled with the world's most pointless musical.

Overall it feels like fans came in with the wrong expectations: Most people I talked to wanted meaningful interaction between lots of characters not heavy Lorelai/Rory drama. More small, low-key development and consistency like early seasons. Instead AS-P gave us Rory and Lorelai repeatedly talking about themselves and making terrible decisions, interspersed with pointless SH fluff. And their banter about inane subjects get's annoying when nothing meaningful is happening. I'd have preferred less constant dead-ends of Rory and Lorelai's arcs, and more long-running stories for minor characters.

Edited by TimetravellingBW

What was the deal with those young boys catering to Lorelai and Rory by the pool? I thought they were Lanes kids at first. Now that I think of it why didn't they use the twins in those roles? 

i didn't get that "joke", I thought it was creepy.

17 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

Zach looks like someone's grandfather next Lane. Good God, who thought it was a good idea for him to have a beard?

APRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY! And yes 100% reason for that excitement is thanks to the actress' role in Switched at birth. I became a fan for life.

"Do you smoke pot?". "Nah." LOL!

"April's mine. I got it!" WOW. S6 flashbacks. You know, it's so hypocrite that Luke can call Rory a little bit his and Lorelai doesn't get to have that with April. Fuck you, Luke. I was actually liking you in this revival.

Rory and Logan's phone conversation felt like a more complicated version of Dean and Rory in S4. Only, I can actually see the appeal of Logan but somehow it's twice as gross! Man, Rory needs to get some therapy to deal with her getting involved with men already commited to other women. This is a very worrying pattern. I hope the arrival adresses this.

Milo said he would be in like 2 and a half episodes, what happened????

I'm sorry I coudn't sit through the musical. One day I'll watch it properly.

"Our lives were set up by you, I just went along with it (...) Ask your therapist!" FUCK YOU LUKE!!!! FUCK YOOOOOOOOOU!! OMG! You hateful, weakling, miserable man. FUCK. YOU. 

"I'm protecting your for some reason." Lane has damn fine instincts. Man, I hate that they made Rory actually emotionally dependent on frigging Logan. What a mess.

#teamLorelai4ever

Like I said over in Fall, you can tell that AS-P and her husband never watched season 7. All the work on Luke and his relationship with April and finally putting Anna in her place never happened in AS-P's eyes. Making Luke not only look like an asshole, but also makes no sense since April is in her 20s now. Yet, that whole situation disappears again by the end of series, so why AS-P had to bring up: "April is mine!" crap makes no sense especially almost a decade later. 

49 minutes ago, CheeseBurgh said:

What was the deal with those young boys catering to Lorelai and Rory by the pool? I thought they were Lanes kids at first. Now that I think of it why didn't they use the twins in those roles? 

i didn't get that "joke", I thought it was creepy.

And sad, when they walked by the kids playing in the sprinkler/hydrant, and one if them said something like, "that looks fun, wish I could play..."

I never thought the GG were perfect people, but these new incarnations are just mean

19 hours ago, sashabear21 said:

She's so snotty about moving back home too, "Oh no, I'm not back!", uhhh.....girl you have no job and not a lot of prospects, so maybe don't be so rude about it.

I know right? That rubbed me the wrong way, too. I would understand it if they were belittling her for not being more successful or something (like some of my relatives like to do whenever I visit them, which is close to never thanks to that shit - if Rory ever has to be around people like that I bet she would cry).

But no, the townies are just super happy to have her around. They don't care where her career is at. I would love for people to be that ecstatic to have me around.

I get that she feels bad about running out of career prospects and moving home, but don't take it out on people who simply adore you for no apparent reason. Sheesh, I'm sorry, does it inconvenience your highness to be so beloved?

4 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

And ughh, Rory's constant snobbery of the 30-Something's Gang was Gilmore Girls elitism at it's finest. No, you're not any better than them Rory, especially as the most you've done since being home is lounge around the pool and take on unpaid work.

Yeah, the gang seem so friendly. I would totally hang out with them. Though I get the feeling the show is trying to imply they're a bunch of losers. If so, the writer is as much of a snob as Rory is, with head firmly lodged in ass.

I'll defend it a little bit in that the show has suggested repeatedly that Luke played some kind of protective, quasi-fatherly role with Rory, to make up for her actual father's absence from her life.  With April, both her parents are in the picture, and there's nothing to suggest that Lorelai has ever played much of a parental role in April's life.       

Rory: While the her story is a great idea (and I image that she will write it), it is not a career path. She can't just get an apartment and hope it works. She needs more of a plan then that. I'm glad that she ended it with Logan. It's sad though that it took the woman moving in with him for her realize that their relationship was not a good idea.

I guess I'm in the minority that didn't mind April's scenes. I liked how she could relate to Rory in that she was still looking for herself and at the same time showed that when your 22 that is social more acceptable. I loved seeing Jess again :).

I didn't like the ending as a Luke and Lorieli fan. I don't get how going on a hike was going to solve anything. I feel like she needs to grow up and work through her issues.

As for the musical, I agree totally a waste of time, that I'd rather not have. They could have shorted that by simply showing the first act and Loriali's reaction. And of course kept the Carole King bit.

2 minutes ago, blueray said:

Rory: While the her story is a great idea (and I image that she will write it), it is not a career path. She can't just get an apartment and hope it works. She needs more of a plan then that. I'm glad that she ended it with Logan. It's sad though that it took the woman moving in with him for her realize that their relationship was not a good idea.

I guess I'm in the minority that didn't mind April's scenes. I liked how she could relate to Rory in that she was still looking for herself and at the same time showed that when your 22 that is social more acceptable. I loved seeing Jess again :).

I didn't like the ending as a Luke and Lorieli fan. I don't get how going on a hike was going to solve anything. I feel like she needs to grow up and work through her issues.

As for the musical, I agree totally a waste of time, that I'd rather not have. They could have shorted that by simply showing the first act and Loriali's reaction. And of course kept the Carole King bit.

Right and you can even take it with April going: "I hope that doesn't happen to me in ten years." A good parallel there, but knowing the creators of the show, it wasn't suppose to be thought of like that. The musical was just showing AS-P for favorites like Suttcliff or Jared with Sutton, where she just "has" to put them in even if it makes no sense for such longer screen time when she was never part of the series to begin with. I agree with everyone else, just the first act and reaction would have been fine. I would have rather had the time spent more on Rory's POV on things and why she is acting the way she is. Actual talk with Luke and Lorelei on their issues and even more of April going: "I'm able to legally drink, dad." "I'm not a doll, and you love Lorelie, stop acting like everything is yours and not ours." 

I have to side with Lorelai over her quarrel with Rory. It is her life. Rory is so spoiled (which, yeah is partly on Lorelai) that she assumes her mother would want her life exposed in a book. She didn't even ask before going forward. I am sure it will all work out. Their quarrel illustrated to me just how entitled Rory is, and expects Lorelai to just roll with it. 

That musical was so self indulgent. Even watching it for Lorelai's reactions wasn't worth it. The song at the end was emotional, maybe that was the point. 

Rory and Logan ending things was a major bummer. I'm a little surprised that Rory didn't seem this coming (Odette moving in and being a part of Logan's life). She knew they were getting married. I guess it's just denial since Odette was living in France. Exhibit B of Rory's major entitlement.

So, Rory has gone through her entire trust fund? Or is she refusing to touch it? It's weird that she has been complaining about having no money when we know she has a trust fund. Plus, I am sure Richard left her something in his will. I know getting nitpicky about money in this show will give you a headache but they kept bringing up Rory's lack of funds. 

19 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

#teamLorelai4ever

That part bothered me. My major issue with Luke has always been the way he speaks to Lorelai. He was doing pretty good in this revival with the anger problem but that brought it all back to me. I do think Luke takes it as a offense that he can't pay for his own daughter. So I chalked it up to that, but yeah I really didn't like the way he snapped at her. 

#teamLorelai4ever 

14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was beginning to think I was the only one!  I re-watched the series (sort of--one channel had a 7 day straight binge-a-thon and I saw bits of the early seasons and then all the last season (since I never re-watched it)). Anyhow--I really loved Christopher and Lorelai, and I think the weird Luke jealousy was out of character and done just to sabotage him.  He wasn't a mature teenager--shock. But he did eventually grow up, like most of us, and he always understood Lorelai in a wait that no one else ever did.  At the very least they should have been best friends forever, but it made me sad that they aren't still close in this time frame.

It has bummed me out too. I didn't expect them to be together but I wanted them to stay good friends. I liked their ending (well, as much as you can like it when your fave couple breaks up). They were divorced but still on good terms. It makes sense that her friendship with Chris would be a threat to her relationship with Luke, and that they aren't as close. But, man it saddens me. 

10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Rory announces to her mother that she's publishing their life story for the world to read because her career is in the crapper and obviously doesn't even give her mother a chance to voice her input on the whole idea. I applauded Lorelai standing up her daughter then, especially when she pulled out the "I really need this / how dare you take it from me!" card which again is about the lowest thing she could have done in that moment especially considering where they were standing. I wanted Lorelai to go off on her bratty brat of a daughter but of course she didn't and we're supposed to sympathize with Rory somehow? Go to hell you little snot. If you can't come up with any good story ideas besides writing a biography you have severe problems. And you are not supposed to be a writer. Your mother, the one you adore and admire should be your first priority. If this makes her uncomfortable then that should be the end of it.

Rory really bugged me in that scene. She is hardly the most empathetic character but I would expect she understood more about Lorelai than anyone else. She didn't seem to care that Lorelai had serious reservations. And at the cemetery on top of it. 

10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Lane is raising two kids and still trying to get her band off the ground.

I think at this point the band realizes Hep Alien isn't going to get off the ground in any meaningful way. Everyone plays together because they enjoy it and it's a respite from their everyday lives.

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I'll defend it a little bit in that the show has suggested repeatedly that Luke played some kind of protective, quasi-fatherly role with Rory, to make up for her actual father's absence from her life.  With April, both her parents are in the picture, and there's nothing to suggest that Lorelai has ever played much of a parental role in April's life.       

I also think the line-read has something to do with the interpretation here. I think SP could have delivered the line more casually... kind of "no, no... it's fine... this one's on me, since she's my kid..." kind of thing. "She's mine" was just too abrupt. But yeah... not sure subtlety is much in SP's wheelhouse. Though he does occasionally get there. He's just not getting great direction sometimes, I think.

This was by far my least favorite episode. It highlighted everything I hate about DP's writing. The musical was just endless filler. It was a total waste of Sutton Foster and Christian Borle. Lorelai and Rory were just mean in this episode. And there is no way Rory should have taken that job unless it at least paid. You know Esther and Charlie aren't working there for free. Just, ugh. 

Just when you think it can't get any worse, here comes Summer.  Not one single thing to like in this, not one.  Dreadful from start to finish.

Is this some sort of sick joke perpetrated by ASP?  Get the fans all fired up and then give them a giant middle finger with the worst possible writing, acting, and directing?

And I was very annoyed with her attitude towards the Thirysomething Gang -- you are not better than them, Rory, you're just not. Stop acting like it. You're basically in the same boat, what gives?

ITA, that was so snotty and out of nowhere. And Stars Hollow the Musical - I have seen Waiting for Guffman, and you are no Guffman.

And wtf with the therapist going from a lovely, patient, thoughtful person to a "weirdo"? Again, out of nowhere.

And this episode reminds me how Babette used to bug me so much. Sally Struthers vomits her lines.

7 hours ago, photo fox said:

And sad, when they walked by the kids playing in the sprinkler/hydrant, and one if them said something like, "that looks fun, wish I could play..."

I never thought the GG were perfect people, but these new incarnations are just mean

Watching the revival, I wonder if ASP's audience has moved on without her in terms of what's socially appropriate and how mean-spirited the show can get. When GG first aired it was pretty forward-thinking, liberal and progressive (a female-centric show, teen pregnancy premise, feminist roots etc.) And from my impression it attracted a lot of fans who liked those things. Over the years it's come under criticism for it's endless whiteness, lack of LGBT representation, and Lorelai and Rory's elitism about other women etc. And by now, TV and society is different from the early 2000's and fans want more - the whole "we have females leads!" isn't enough. ASP adapted somewhat - like Michel coming out - but as a whole the revival has been filled with jokes that just aren't as funny these days: Taylor's gay pride parade jokes, fat shaming, slut-shaming, using the boys as slaves, April's anxiety attack, making fun of the 30-Something gang, even Paris's attitude towards surrogacy to a certain extent. (I'm not saying no one found those jokes funny or everyone got offended, but I think those jokes are more likely to annoy people than fifteen years ago. The inappropriateness isn't close to the biggest problem of the revival but it adds up).  

On a more general level, I think the same thing happened with Lorelai and Rory's likability. They were always skirting the line between charming and mean, but fans now have had ten years to rewatch and with the revival, start hoping for development.  Rather than developing the characters ASP has doubled down on the selfishness and entitlement (Rory cheating and the bratty way she deals with her career, Lorelai's treatment of Luke and Emily) and fans are looking at these two characters who aren't going anywhere from 10 years ago. And that's not satisfying to watch. 

6 hours ago, blueray said:

Exactly. A book is not a career plan. There's only the most minuscule chance she'll get it published, especially in today's book market. Also are we meant to believe her career struggles was just her having "writers block"? I thought it was that journalism was competitive and she was struggling to get her pieces out there? And needed a proper job/income? But now it's all "I just didn't feel inspired and want to write something for me." Uh, Rory, haven't you spent the last 9 years cherry-picking articles and only writing the exciting stuff? But after the most half-hearted effort to get a real job (the Lines feature and SandeeSays), she's going to take another year off to write what she wants? Really highlights that Rory's never worked at something she didn't like in her life. Why pretend she needed money if it's clearly a secondary concern? If she'd been working some dead-end journalism job for years, saved up money and wanted to take time out to write something for her that would be fine. But at this point Rory's "career" basically amounts to scribbling down whatever takes her fancy and dropping anything that's bores her. 

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think at this point the band realizes Hep Alien isn't going to get off the ground in any meaningful way. Everyone plays together because they enjoy it and it's a respite from their everyday lives.

Which just solidifies Lane's originally depressing fate from the show. I mean at least her marriage stayed together, but she never got out of Stars Hollow, doesn't seem to have any career to speak of and the band has gone nowhere. (And looks like she's married to a guy 20 years her senior). I was really hoping there'd be some Lane-centric storyline in the revival - she had a a few in the original show - and she'd get a more hopeful ending now the kids are older. But she's just played cheerleader to Rory's melodrama and is trapped in Stars Hollow forever. 

My God, that musical number...it started out funny, in a weirdly dark kind of way, but than it went on...and on...and ON...and then it was STILL GOING! Honestly, I would have watched a bonus feature at the end of the episode or something where we saw a bunch of the musical numbers, and it would have been funny, but right smack in the middle of the episode? It was like wandering in a desert, looking desperately for an oasis of entertainment. 

Rory is certainly not going to be happy working in Stars Hallow, its no where near big and fancy enough. She has just become awful, even though the career stuff is kind of interesting. I always thought that Rory had it too easy, and she would struggle in the real world where not everyone worships her, and now, here we are. But, because she spent so much of her life being told how awesome she was, she has a massive ego, and thinks that everything and everyone is beneath her. I have no idea if this is on purpose, but its what I`m getting. The jokes with the 30 something gang started out funny, but than just became mean. They can just join the never ending list of perfectly nice people that have been deemed losers by the GGs because...because. 

The Boots Were Made for Walking scene was actually funny, probably the best sequence in this episode, after the Michel scene at the secret bar. Speaking of...

This whole insufferable episode was almost made worth it by the Michel and Lor scene in the secret bar. I loved everything about the secret bar, how everyone immediately picks up and hides then returns like it never happened, all the shhhhhh signs, Lane and Zach playing in the background, it was delightful. And the Michel and Lor scene was so honest and genuine and real. Like, it finally felt like the real world was seeping into Gilmore land. If there was anything good about Sookies absence, we have gotten more of their friendship, and its really been nice to see. He really is her Paris. 

Jess! I was so happy to see him! Man, Milo has aged ridiculously well, and its a huge kudos to him that as soon as I saw him, I saw Jess, even though I am already getting used to him as Jack over on This is Us. He is here to drop truth bombs and be awesome. And we saw him and Luke hug, and Jess threw Luke's hat! Why are we only getting a taste of Jess, after ODing on this asshole version of Logan?

I still cant believe that Rory has been ok with being the Other Woman for so long, and then gets all offended when Logan treats her like a mistress, because...she is one! Rory has just gotten more immature over the years, not less. She went from having one night with an ex, to being a full on piece on the side. And she still wont dump Paul? The poor guy is going to be standing on the edge of the roof, calling Rory to talk him down, and she`ll just turn her phone off so she can whine over Logan some more. 

Luke and Loralai really are kind of a mess. I am a long time L/L shipper, but they just dont make sense anymore. Luke was right, they do have totally separate lives, and they do keep pointless secrets. They just dont act like people who have been together for so long. And I still have no clue why they never found the time to get married. 

21 hours ago, CalamitysChild said:

This so much. I hated this because: a) it's a slam at a whole generation disguised as a joke b) there's no sense that Rory knows them, which, come on, she grew up in Stars Hollow and didn't go to Chilton until she was what, 16? and c) they fawned over Rory like she's some sort of idol. Hated it as much as the fat shaming, it comes from the same mean spirited place.

7 hours ago, blueray said:

I don't get how going on a hike was going to solve anything. I feel like she needs to grow up and work through her issues.

Communing with nature, in that intensive way, certainly doesn't seem a path Lorelai would choose. But hey, it's fiction.

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I live in a small community with a very active music scene. None of the performers are national level quality, but they do great on a small scale. Helps bring in some money, and provides enjoyment and a break from the mundane. That's what I see for Hep Alien (maybe not solely in Stars Hollow, the Secret Bar wouldn't eke out much, but like the bands here, gigs at many of the other local small towns as well)

So, Rory's "broke" but can afford to buy last minute tickets to go to London? It makes no sense to me. None of the financial stuff does, from Rory expecting to find an apartment just because she's working on a book, to no mention of bequests to Rory or Lorelai from Richard's estate - only the trust for Luke.

OTOH, the song at the end, moved me. Other than that, nothing else did much more than annoy me.

14 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This whole insufferable episode was almost made worth it by the Michel and Lor scene in the secret bar

I'd forgotten that scene. I did truly like that one, and Michel's fake enthusiasm with children.

I do think that one of the problems here, which has nothing to do with character growth, is that they're writing for a 90 minute format, when they are used to writing for a 60 minute show (less than that when you account for commercials). The "normal" show length means you have to mercilessly cull extraneous bits, whereas with a 90 minute format you need enough story line to fill it, or you will be tempted to include too many "precious" bits to stretch it. Say, a full length musical.

Edited by Clanstarling
21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I live in a small community with a very active music scene. None of the performers are national level quality, but they do great on a small scale. Helps bring in some money, and provides enjoyment and a break from the mundane. That's what I see for Hep Alien (maybe not solely in Stars Hollow, the Secret Bar wouldn't eke out much, but like the bands here, gigs at many of the other local small towns as well)

By "get off the ground in any meaningful way" I meant become successful enough to support everyone. I can totally see the band and/or Lane and Zach be regulars in the local/regional music scene. It just wouldn't be a full-time job for any of them. Plus, the twins are school age, and it's easier for everyone if the family stays in Stars Hollow.

As for staying in Stars Hollow, who's to say Lane isn't happy with the way her life is going? She has a devoted husband, two healthy sons, the chance to indulge her passion (music), and a built-in babysitter in her mom. We didn't get much POV from her, but we didn't hear she was disappointed, either.

to no mention of bequests to Rory or Lorelai from Richard's estate - only the trust for Luke.

It's not uncommon that a will may not leave anything to the adult children or grandchildren of the decedent, but rather only to the surviving spouse.  For example, my parents have wills that presume they will predecease one another, and the kids only receive bequests in the case that both parents have died.  Though I agree this series has always been wonky when it comes to money.     

Edited by txhorns79
55 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

None of the financial stuff does, from Rory expecting to find an apartment just because she's working on a book, to no mention of bequests to Rory or Lorelai from Richard's estate - only the trust for Luke.

There was a trust established for Rory, per Richard's conversation with Lorelai when he dropped off the doll house.  I would suspect that there was also a trust established for Lorelai.  Payout on trusts can be strange.  Just because the maker of the trust passes, it does not mean that the recipient of the trust received immediate payout.  It depends on how the trust is structured.

That being said, didn't Trix also have a trust established for Lorelai that she wanted to dissolve and just distribute, but Emily talked her out of it or is my memory playing tricks on me again?

16 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Which just solidifies Lane's originally depressing fate from the show. I mean at least her marriage stayed together, but she never got out of Stars Hollow, doesn't seem to have any career to speak of and the band has gone nowhere. (And looks like she's married to a guy 20 years her senior). I was really hoping there'd be some Lane-centric storyline in the revival - she had a a few in the original show - and she'd get a more hopeful ending now the kids are older. But she's just played cheerleader to Rory's melodrama and is trapped in Stars Hollow forever. 

THIS. I so wanted this. I definitely didn't need as much Taylor and Michel and Kirk as we ended up getting. But Lane? She was one of the the most downtrodden characters on the show and I was so looking forward to seeing her rise up. I had hoped Carole King's cameo in this revival would tie into that but alas it was just random filler.

Edited by DisneyBoy

I admit I laughed at "Oh my god, your balls are frozen!"

Also loved Sutton's character offstage is chain smoking and bitter.

I like April and a lot of that is the actress being on Switched at Birth. I love how she seemed really rebellious college student in front of Luke but when she's alone with Rory she admits it's all a sham and she's freaking out.

I think Luke is possessive in a way with April because he was out of her life for so long(not his fault) and wants to be the one to take care of her financially. If he and Lorelei were married, she would be April's stepmom and she'd have more of a say.

Lane might not have become a big rock star but she hasn't stopped playing. Yeah Zach looks a little rough, but at least he still has his hair.  Just needs to lay off the carbs and do some cardio.

The best use of HD is Rory yelling at Lorelei who's way off across the square in the background.

I really hope Lorelei and Rory were paying those boys to hold umbrellas and carry stuff for them.

Edited by VCRTracking
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I do think that one of the problems here, which has nothing to do with character growth, is that they're writing for a 90 minute format, when they are used to writing for a 60 minute show (less than that when you account for commercials). The "normal" show length means you have to mercilessly cull extraneous bits, whereas with a 90 minute format you need enough story line to fill it, or you will be tempted to include too many "precious" bits to stretch it. Say, a full length musical.

The length has definitely been one of the biggest problems with the revival. AS-P is clearly used to writing self-contained stories in 45-50 minutes over short time periods and these 90 minute pieces (that span several months in universe) are rambly, bitty and have so much pointless filler. I remember the writers on FRIENDS commented they struggled when they had to write 2-parters instead of 2 standalone episodes. AS-P basically had to write 4 movies instead of TV scripts and her inexperience shows. (Has she ever written a longer movie length piece before?) It might have been better to have 8 normal length episodes, hopefully with coherent storylines rather than these long ones which don't have progress or proper story arcs and jump randomly from cameo to cameo.  

As for staying in Stars Hollow, who's to say Lane isn't happy with the way her life is going? She has a devoted husband, two healthy sons, the chance to indulge her passion (music), and a built-in babysitter in her mom. We didn't get much POV from her, but we didn't hear she was disappointed, either.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

THIS. I so wanted this. I definitely didn't need as much Taylor and Michelle and Kirk as we ended up getting. But Lane? She was one of the the most downtrodden characters on the show and I was so looking forward to seeing her rise up. I had hoped Carole King's cameo in this revival would tie into that but alas it was just random filler.

Lane's utter lack of pov or perspective is frustrating, maybe she is happy, maybe she isn't. But we'll probably never know because we haven't had a single scene of her talking about how she feels. I've liked having more of Michel (he's basically taken Sookie's screentime and has been given so much extra depth) but more Kirk and Taylor was pointless and undeserved. 

5 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

There was a trust established for Rory, per Richard's conversation with Lorelai when he dropped off the doll house.  I would suspect that there was also a trust established for Lorelai.  Payout on trusts can be strange.  Just because the maker of the trust passes, it does not mean that the recipient of the trust received immediate payout.  It depends on how the trust is structured.

That being said, didn't Trix also have a trust established for Lorelai that she wanted to dissolve and just distribute, but Emily talked her out of it or is my memory playing tricks on me again?

Trix had one for Rory that would be available to her when she was older, Emily talked Lorelai out of letting Rory have access to it in high school. So Rory should have access to a healthy trust fund but as per usual the show is ignoring that.

Also @MerBearHou your post is full of spoilers for Fall. You might want to get rid of it asap. 

19 hours ago, hippielamb said:

That part bothered me. My major issue with Luke has always been the way he speaks to Lorelai. He was doing pretty good in this revival with the anger problem but that brought it all back to me. I do think Luke takes it as a offense that he can't pay for his own daughter. So I chalked it up to that, but yeah I really didn't like the way he snapped at her. 

#teamLorelai4ever 

It has bummed me out too. I didn't expect them to be together but I wanted them to stay good friends. I liked their ending (well, as much as you can like it when your fave couple breaks up). They were divorced but still on good terms. It makes sense that her friendship with Chris would be a threat to her relationship with Luke, and that they aren't as close. But, man it saddens me. 

Honestly I think that the snapping at Lorelai is partly down to the actor. No offence intended to Scott, but his line readings often come off to me as Luke being really surly and genuinely irritated with Lorelai, while I don't think that the show intends for them to come off as that extreme. He's supposed to be more of a loveable grump on the page, but when I'm watching them together I get the vibe that Luke just wants Lorelai to shut up already. I think that Lauren plays it that way a bit too, as she always portrays Lorelai as very subdued when Luke does snap at her, and idk it's just not how I expect to see a functional and happy couple being portrayed. They always remind me more of seeing someone's awkward parents who can't seem to communicate properly, and really don't even like each very much, rather than the sort of couples that you generally see on tv  

And it didn't surprise me that Lorelai ended contact with Christopher after season 7, it was always a big issue in seasons 5 and 6 when Lorelai spend any time with him, so I can see her deciding that staying on good terms with him is an absolute no-go after she actually did sleep with him the day that she broke things off with Luke, and to be fair to Luke most guys would probably feel that way about it after she actually married the other guy 

On 11/26/2016 at 3:47 PM, Kromm said:
On 11/26/2016 at 8:00 AM, Bec said:

I thought the last part of the musical was going to be modern day Stars Hollow with Sutton Foster playing the part of Lorelai.

See... THAT would have been both a clever wink at the audience AND funny.

Yet, I did really enjoy when Taylor called Sutton the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen and refused to backtrack after Lorelai's comment about excluding present company.

This so much. I hated this because: a) it's a slam at a whole generation disguised as a joke b) there's no sense that Rory knows them, which, come on, she grew up in Stars Hollow and didn't go to Chilton until she was what, 16? and c) they fawned over Rory like she's some sort of idol. Hated it as much as the fat shaming, it comes from the same mean spirited place.

Just finished "Summer" and came over here to join the chorus about how mean and hateful these new versions of the Girls are. The fat jokes, the boy slaves, the treatment of the 30-something gang, the treatment of relationship with Paul, and discussing surrogates like an escort service are just not funny and basically horrible and I kind of don't want to watch Fall. I kept waiting for the rest of the joke with the boys, like they hired the kids to follow them around with leaves. Were they always this mean? Someone upthread mentioned that there was fat shaming in the regular series; I don't remember it, but it's been a while.

Also, agree that editorship of small-town paper would at least pay a small salary, considering that Taylor said the reason the paper was folding was not because it was unsustainable but because the editor was retiring. These small-town community papers are actually sometimes lately doing better than the larger city newspapers, because of very local reporting and ad revenue.

What I am enjoying - the cameos, the nostalgia, the way they recreated Stars Hollow. They got so many awesome people to come back! Loved seeing Vanessa Marano, Sutton Foster, Carole King, Milo V and Matt C (The Good Wife totally biases me toward Logan now; although he's being awful, I want Cary to be happy). Mae Whitman! Was she ever in the regular series? I love that they sent Emily and Lorelai to counseling - that alone is worth the reboot if they can make it pay off in some way to advance their relationship.  

Edited by betha

And it didn't surprise me that Lorelai ended contact with Christopher after season 7, it was always a big issue in seasons 5 and 6 when Lorelai spend any time with him, so I can see her deciding that staying on good terms with him is an absolute no-go after she actually did sleep with him the day that she broke things off with Luke, and to be fair to Luke most guys would probably feel that way about it after she actually married the other guy 

Was it actually said that Lorelai ended contact with Christopher?  I don't remember that.  I can see Lorelai keeping only limited contact with him, but not cutting things off entirely.  They do share a kid. 

When the credits rolled on Spring and Summer  and I saw Daniel as writer and producer, I told my nieces who were watching with me, "Brace yourself for mean jokes and stupid townies".  They didn't believe me at first.  Now they do.

You have 6 hours to bring us back to Stars Hollow and you waste 20 minutes of it on that cringe-worthy musical?  Classic Daniel Palladino.

4 hours ago, betha said:

Also, agree that editorship of small-town paper would at least pay a small salary, considering that Taylor said the reason the paper was folding was not because it was unsustainable but because the editor was retiring. These small-town community papers are actually sometimes lately doing better than the larger city newspapers, because of very local reporting and ad revenue.

A few years ago I worked part-time as a proofreader for a group of 5 or 6 small-town, local newspapers. I was paid (not much, mind you), so it makes zero sense that Rory was not getting paid as the editor.

I agree with everyone else -- the musical went on way too long. I started zoning out during it. I never thought it was going to end.