Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Spring

• Start Topic

On 11/25/2016 at 7:28 PM, rho said:

Ugh yes! It looked like the break room of someone else's office. And no windowss? I would die! 

A CEO that walks around typing on someone's computer while they're using it and then doodling something meaningless on somebody's notepad?  Was this supposed to be satire?  It could not have been more outrageously stupid.

14 hours ago, WhoaWhoKnew said:

That was actually one of the more realistic situations ever on this show.

My first few sessions with my first therapist were completely silent. She did ask questions, but I'd either not answer or I would give a very curt answer that she could do absolutely nothing with.

Those are bad therapists in my opinion.  I've had good ones.  The bad ones waste time (and your money) with silence.  Fuck that, IMO

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don't get what Rory found so irritating about the GQ lines premise.  That sounded interesting, and her various interview subjects were all pleasant and actually fairly articulate on the subject (I couldn't believe when she started to fall asleep while listening to that first guy).  Not to mention, the moment where they found a bunch of people queuing up mistakenly behind some people just eating lunch is a made-to-order anecdote with which to begin an article.  Rory has terrible writing instincts, apparently.

Come to think of it, Lorelai is the one who would have made a good journalist. She scored the cronut-like thing and then scored shoes from having scored the cronut and given it to that girl - an interesting story right there, and that was just five minutes in line. Lorelai is the fearless one who will barge up to strangers and make demands, she's the one who always finds an angle ("I Lorelai'd the coffee!"), she's good at effective, unpretentious writing (she got Luke his custody) and she's relentless. That's who shoulda been a contender.

15 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I had a strong sense of deja vu with that scene. Somebody help me out. Was there not the exact same situation in another TV show? It's driving me crazy.

Also, I've never been to therapy, but I can't imagine you would sit there in silence for an hour. Why didn't the therapist ask them some questions? Or was that some kind of attempt a humor that I completely missed? Worst therapist ever.

Therapist speaking here.  Silence is sometimes very effective. You can ask questions, but you can't make people answer them. And yeah, trying dealing with a sullen teen who doesn't want to be there. I'll do everything I can to make someone feel comfortable, but you can't MAKE them talk. We're not magicians. Sometimes by just being silent you're conveying to the client that it's their hour to do with it as they want, which helps build trust and safety. Did you not see Good Will Hunting? My experience is largely that after you make it clear that it's their hour to do with as they please, they begin talking.

I think both Emily and Lorelei assumed they were there for the OTHER person. So they were both waiting for each other to talk. It was a showdown, and the therapist knew it, waiting to see who would cave first. At the moment, neither thinks she has done anything wrong. It's not until they both realize that they're both responsible for the problems in their relationship that they'll be able to get to a better place.

Edited by candle96
7 hours ago, candle96 said:

Therapist speaking here.  Silence is sometimes very effective. You can ask questions, but you can't make people answer them. And yeah, trying dealing with a sullen teen who doesn't want to be there. I'll do everything I can to make someone feel comfortable, but you can't MAKE them talk. We're not magicians. Sometimes by just being silent you're conveying to the client that it's their hour to do with it as they want, which helps build trust and safety. Did you not see Good Will Hunting? My experience is largely that after you make it clear that it's their hour to do with as they please, they begin talking.

I think both Emily and Lorelei assumed they were there for the OTHER person. So they were both waiting for each other to talk. It was a showdown, and the therapist knew it, waiting to see who would cave first. At the moment, neither thinks she has done anything wrong. It's not until they both realize that they're both responsible for the problems in their relationship that they'll be able to get to a better place.

Thank you, I honestly did not understand this and I find it very interesting. As I said, I've never been to therapy (and no, I haven't seen that movie, LOL!) I'm the type that would need some prodding to get to the heart of things and organize my thoughts so the thought of paying for therapy and sitting there in silence just seemed ridiculous to me. On the other hand, I'm famous for my impatience so I'm sure it wouldn't be long before I'd say something to piss the other one off. Ha ha.

8 hours ago, random chance said:

Come to think of it, Lorelai is the one who would have made a good journalist. She scored the cronut-like thing and then scored shoes from having scored the cronut and given it to that girl - an interesting story right there, and that was just five minutes in line. Lorelai is the fearless one who will barge up to strangers and make demands, she's the one who always finds an angle ("I Lorelai'd the coffee!"), she's good at effective, unpretentious writing (she got Luke his custody) and she's relentless. That's who shoulda been a contender.

I agree with this but I also think that Lorelai is in the right profession for her. She's a lot of things, but she really is a great business owner. She has always been successful in running first the Independence Inn, and then opening the Dragonfly. She is the one who worked hard to get to where she is. There are many professions that would suit Lorelai, I think, but being a businesswoman is clearly the right move for her. 

9 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Ugh, exactly. Rory and Logan having just one conversation about how lonely she gets while travelling and the stress of Logan's job making it tough for him to have a relationship could explain their perspective a little. And if AS-P has just left out the fiancee/Paul Logan and Rory casually hooking up wouldn't even be an issue. They might look a bit pathetic hung up on the past but not bad people.

That's the thing with Luke/Lorelai - what good is more drama going to do? They'll probably end up together anyway, because all of Lorelai's other love interests are out of the picture. (Seriously is Chris going to pop up again for Marriage Round 2?) So extra drama is only going to drag things out for people who don't like the couple, and annoy shippers who just want to see them happy. 

Completely agree, or if they would have just left Paul a thing in Winter and that what drove Rory to hook back up with Logan. Having him basically become Mitchum minus the kids. AS-P sure loves her parallels with her characters. It was like Anna, who AS-P said was suppose to be the anti-Lorelai. Where Lore was upfront with everything, she decided to run away, do things her way and keep things to herself. Anna decided to not be upfront, keep her parents in the loop, but Luke out and it was her way or the highway and how dare anyone want to have a relationship with her previous April. Of course this also re enforces that the AS-P and her husband never watched season 7 when Luke was still acting like April was his kid and Lorelai still doesn't have a say in things. Especially when said daughter is now almost DONE with college. 

[Therapy rant] I'm a therapist also, and I agree--I had no problem with the silence. What DID bother me (and I will admit I am picky about TV/movie therapy scenes because I think they tend to be poorly done) is that Emily and Lorelai were actually giving that therapist a ton of stuff to reflect back to them (particularly their need to "compete" by asking who was getting points, which even someone with a week of clinical psychology training probably could have picked up), and instead of working with that, they had her look caught off guard, overwhelmed, and unsure of what to do with these women. Claudia also could have made them think more about the fact that they repeatedly spent their entire hour saying nothing, then immediately started talking and hashing things out when they knew their time was up and that limits would be imposed on them. All of that is actually pretty meaningful. I sort of see that the joke was supposed to be that Emily and Lorelai and their dysfunction are completely overwhelming to the poor therapist, but...that seems really unfair to clinical therapists in general, most of whom have worked at some point with people who are far worse off than these two relatively functional women. [/Therapy rant]

I really hope the letter comes up again. It's one of the things that I'm actually intrigued by.

The Paul running gag would have been much better served as a one time joke. It's not funny that Rory is still letting him believe they're in a relationship when she clearly has no interest or investment in him. I don't really understand why he needed to exist to begin with--in a way, her relationship with Logan would have made more sense to me if she had found herself similarly stalled in her love life as she is in her career. It would be easier for me to understand why she would cling to an ex with whom she felt comfortable, even if he is engaged to someone else, if she felt stymied by the dating world also. And heaven knows that's not an uncommon experience for people in their early 30s, either. 

I realize the logistics here aren't supposed to hold up to intense scrutiny, but I echo others in wondering why/how Rory was able to afford these trips back and forth to London with no actual job to be done there and no expense account to take on the cost. It also seems weird that she has a "schedule" that necessitates her flying all over the place, only spending bits of time with her mom here and there and, more importantly, leaving her grandfather's funeral reception early to fly off somewhere, when she doesn't actually have a job. Where is she flying to, and why? I'm not familiar with the world of freelance writing, but does it really involve flying all over the place like that? It seems a bit unlikely to me.

I get that Paris is having a tough time in her personal life, but seeing her felled by "Tristan" and then further thrown off by her high school nemesis was a bit upsetting. Though I will fully accept the entire scene if it was the only way I could get that door kick, which was my favorite part of the episode.  Speaking of "Tristan," no idea why they bothered if they couldn't get CMM. 

Things I did like: Petal the pig, the basket auction, Mrs. (and Mr.!) Kim, the B-listers working out in the Dragonfly dining room, and how many people they were actually able to get to return, even if for only brief cameos. 

Edited by Jillibean

Paris' meltdown was my favorite scene. Liza Weil rocks.

Loved seeing LG's other TV daughter Mae Whitman in a cameo as the girl in line Lorelei gave a "crodocake". Reading that a lot of people here missed it I realized there isn't a big overlap between GG and Parenthood watchers!

Edited by VCRTracking

So, apparently the theme of this revival will be "Rory is an awful person and makes the worst life choices ever". Not only is Rory cheating on Paul, but Logan is engaged? Did Rory really not learn from the last time she slept with an ex boyfriend who she previously dumped who is now seriously involved with another woman? How many angry moms have to yell at her in public for that message to sink in? Plus, it kills all the character development that Logan got in the last few seasons.

Rory is also apparently awful as a professional. Who goes to a job interview that like, with that attitude? She needs money and experience, what is so terrible about working for a website? It seems like a Buzzfeed style website, and while they have lots of fluff, they do news and culture and things like that too. Thats just how a lot of journalism is now, shouldn't Rory know that? And how could she not find anything in the Lines piece? That seems like a cool story!   

I did like seeing Chilton, and I always liked Headmaster Charleston, and even seeing Francie made me happy. being a teacher seems like a good idea for Rory. Getting a masters is not easy (I just got one, and holy CRAP not easy) but if its an actual possibility, she should at least look into it.

Paris is awesome. I am sad that her and Doyle arent together anymore. I hope they can reconcile. 

I will say, Rorys clothes are looking amazing this revival. Ironically, the lucky dress was the ugliest thing she wore! 

Also, I did enjoy seeing Mae Whitman pop up. Lauren's two two daughters, together!

Edited by tennisgurl
33 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Paris' meltdown was my favorite scene. Liza Weil rocks.

Loved seeing LG's other TV daughter Mae Whitman in a cameo as the girl in line Lorelei gave a "crodocake". Reading that a lot of people here missed it I realized there isn't a big overlap between GG and Parenthood watchers!

I didn't recognize her at first because her hair is different than I remember from Parenthood. I was kind of nervous when it was revealed she was going to be in the revival. I didn't want some tongue-in-cheek joke referencing their roles on Parenthood. It was a good scene though. 

13 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Overall, I did enjoy Spring more than Winter - more stuff actually happened and despite my frustrations, I'm more interested in Rory's plotline that Lorelai's. Lorelai they're going all over the place with no consistent dilemma for her: Does she want a kid? (Is the surrogate stuff all finished now? It felt incomplete). Does she want to expand the Inn/Is Luke going to franchise his diner? Does she want to marry Luke? At least with Rory she has a clear "where am I going with my career" arc, Lorelai is just flailing for no clear reason. And please, enough with the L/L drama. 

Also - what was with the mysterious letter Emily claimed Lorelai wrote for her?? 

I am more interested in Rory's plot this time too which is surprising. I was never invested in her storylines before, and Lorelai is always more interesting to me. But Rory's journey here is more engaging. Lorelai's story kind of bores me yet she's still my favourite. 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Ironically, the lucky dress was the ugliest thing she wore!

I know, right? I'm no fashionista, but it did absolutely nothing for Rory. At first glance I thought it wasn't ironed (turned out to be texture in the fabric). It didn't seem well cut in general.

I liked this episode more than winter, probably because of all the town scenes. We got to see a town meeting, another weird festival and the black and white theater. I think I miss all the crazy town activities more than the self centered girls.

Lorelai wasn't as grating, but Rory more than made up for it. It's bad recycled plots all over again. Rory being the "other woman" yet again? Check. Rory being an entitled brat when she doesn't get her own way (like when she didn't get that internship and then took the "lowly" paper job only to find out it was taken)? Check. Lorelai lying to Luke about something  stupid? Check. Some growth would be nice. I do covet all of Lorelai's coats, and I'm not a coat person.

I did love Paris's meltdown and seeing Chilton again. I was hoping Madeline and Louise would be there, or even that theater guy who was always harassed by Paris.

Edited by twoods

Okay, now that I've seen this second one, it's pretty apparent that the people referencing Rory's career struggles, and Odette, in the "Winter" thread were spoiling.  If any of you are still reading here: not cool.  And I hope you aren't continuing to spoil in this or the "Summer" thread.  (Practicing what I preach: you won't see me going back to "Winter" now that I'm an episode ahead.)

Anyway, here are the notes I jotted down while watching:

Mr. Kim!

Logan's dad looks the same a decade later.

92nd Street Y referenced in both episodes so far; wonder if they will go 4 for 4.

Mae Whitman!  Aaahhh!  The space-time continuum just broke!

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Why is Headmaster Charleston telling Rory she'd be a good teacher something he does out of pity for her? Is teaching somehow beneath her and a last resort? That's insulting on a lot of levels.

She seems to think it's a step down but that also has to do with how he framed it. It's not like he was chasing her down to take the job or waving requisites like the Master's degree. Although HC was subtle, he definitely was offering her a consolation prize. Personally I think teaching would suit Rory but she sure as fuck should not go back to Chilton to do it. Maybe in a few years she'd make a great professor or she could sub in between freelance gigs (I did it). I think she was right in turning down his pity offer but maybe should consider a similar position elsewhere.

Oh, noes, someone didn't like Princess Rory! Maybe she will steal a train this time.

Paris is still not over Tristan? What is this, a fanfic written by a 12 year old?

Michel wants the DragonFly Inn to expand? Are we talking about the same Michel who always tries to shirk his duties and hates all the guests?

That therapist was so incompetent. Not that there is a therapist in the world who can make Lorelei see reason or Emily see reason when it comes to Lorelei, mind you, but she barely even tried.

Luke should have told Emily that he has no interest in a diner "empire". Not that I believe Richard would be dumb enough to include such a silly clause in his will in the first place, mind you.

Why is Emily behaving like it's 1900 and if you aren't married than your relationship is just a dirty little secret?

So many overly long jokes that weren't even funny. Some famous actor bought three newspapers every day - what an immense help for the local economy this is not. The mouse or rabbit or whatever. Kirk's movie.

16 minutes ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

Luke should have told Emily that he has no interest in a diner "empire". Not that I believe Richard would be dumb enough to include such a silly clause in his will in the first place, mind you.

Richard tried to get Luke to franchise his diner in the regular series, so he apparently never could let the idea go.

I forgot to add that I loved Lorelai in New York bypassing the line by making friends with the shop owners and getting all the swag and using said connections to score more swag.  That was definitely classic GG.

31 minutes ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

Why is Emily behaving like it's 1900 and if you aren't married than your relationship is just a dirty little secret?

That's entirely in-character for Emily (she and Richard were generally written like they were from a generation earlier than the one they're actually from).

I feel for Rory, as far as the mid-30's floundering goes.  

However, something that Rory has that I definitely do NOT is a trust fund - I don't know why this particular plot detail has stuck with me, but Trix had set up a trust fund for Rory, which she used to try and drive a wedge between Lorelai and Emily by offering to let Rory have it to use for Chilton instead of having to wait until she turned 25.  (And reneged upon when she saw the two of them fighting about it at tea.)  And that's without considering whatever Richard may have left her.

Given that, and what we know about Trix's substantial wealth, the only thing that bothers me about Rory's lifestyle is that she seems to be pretending to have money issues when she doesn't.  There is, IMO, nothing more irritating than people with inherited wealth pretending that they are broke because their work isn't going well - unlike the rest of us, it doesn't actually matter whether they, individually, are successful.  Of course, all of this is the long way of saying that ASP is TERRIBLE at dealing with money in her plots, so trying to make sense of how money functions in universes that she creates is a bit of a fool's errand anyway.

2 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

Given that, and what we know about Trix's substantial wealth, the only thing that bothers me about Rory's lifestyle is that she seems to be pretending to have money issues when she doesn't.

I think Rory the character is getting the shaft for this, when it truly is a writing problem -- I don't think RORY is pretending, I think ASP is pretending. (As you note, ASP is famous for poorly dealing with money.) The writing completely ignored any trust or inheritance funds for Lorelai or Rory. Based solely on what we were shown in this series, those don't exist in this revival universe even though that's silly.

She was born into a huge safety net so her failures, perceived or otherwise, are definitely not high stakes. But actually that is consistent with how I heard her fretting. She's worried she isn't earning enough to support herself even though she's given up her apartment, but she never indicated fear of being homeless or anything. All they needed was one tiny line about how she's not dipping into family money because she's trying to pay her own way, or explain that the trust is gone / inaccessible. That would have cleared up a lot. It's almost willful for the writing to ignore it so completely.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Rory really is that annoying. I like her and tend to interpret her more generously than others -- If I believed she was sitting on a metric ton of money but instead chose to constantly impose on her friends for free couch time, I'd probably hate her too. Instead, I see a contrivance of writing. 

Edited by snarktini
14 hours ago, Jillibean said:

[Therapy rant] I'm a therapist also, and I agree--I had no problem with the silence. What DID bother me (and I will admit I am picky about TV/movie therapy scenes because I think they tend to be poorly done) is that Emily and Lorelai were actually giving that therapist a ton of stuff to reflect back to them (particularly their need to "compete" by asking who was getting points, which even someone with a week of clinical psychology training probably could have picked up), and instead of working with that, they had her look caught off guard, overwhelmed, and unsure of what to do with these women. Claudia also could have made them think more about the fact that they repeatedly spent their entire hour saying nothing, then immediately started talking and hashing things out when they knew their time was up and that limits would be imposed on them. All of that is actually pretty meaningful. I sort of see that the joke was supposed to be that Emily and Lorelai and their dysfunction are completely overwhelming to the poor therapist, but...that seems really unfair to clinical therapists in general, most of whom have worked at some point with people who are far worse off than these two relatively functional women. [/Therapy rant]

I realize the logistics here aren't supposed to hold up to intense scrutiny, but I echo others in wondering why/how Rory was able to afford these trips back and forth to London with no actual job to be done there and no expense account to take on the cost. It also seems weird that she has a "schedule" that necessitates her flying all over the place, only spending bits of time with her mom here and there and, more importantly, leaving her grandfather's funeral reception early to fly off somewhere, when she doesn't actually have a job. Where is she flying to, and why? I'm not familiar with the world of freelance writing, but does it really involve flying all over the place like that? It seems a bit unlikely to me.

Oh yeah, I gave up a long time ago on any movie or television show accurately depicting therapy. I'm sure doctors, trial attorneys, and cops can also relate. Probably lots of of other professions too. Therapists are usually played as stupid and incompetent or evil and unethical. Good times for those of us who are none of these things and just trying to help people. The only show I can remember getting it somewhat right was The Sopranos. At least the GG's therapist seems like a nice person.

As for another profession, freelance writer, one of my best friends is one. She rarely leaves New York, where she's based, so I have no idea what the hell Rory is supposed to be doing. Particularly given, you know, the internet and other forms of technology/communication, traveling so much just to write is rarely needed. I guess unless you're lucky enough to be a travel writer!

OK, so...that goddamn International Food Festival...I have some complaints:

1. There are 196 countries (197 if you choose to include Palestine, which some do).

2. The Virgin Islands, which Jackson shoehorned into another country's display, is not a country.

3. Kirk mispronounced "Kiribati": the "-ti" is actually pronounced as an "s" sound; if they were going to be cutesy enough to include that country, someone, whether a member of the writing staff or Sean Gunn, should have looked the pronunciation up.

I'm a walking atlas, so those things bothered me intensely.

Oh, and shut the fuck up, Rory.

In the Winter thread, a lot of people were wondering about whether Luke's pride in Rory's New Yorker piece was supposed to indicate that she hadn't really gotten much other work over the last 8-9 YEARS. Wouldn't they have had other clippings etc? But in the Spring thread, nobody has called out that we learned (through the GQ meeting) that she does have other successes, and is generally well regarded by the powers that be in the industry, that she has had bylines in Slate and The Atlantic. So I think the New Yorker piece was just her most recent piece, and something that was a big deal because it's the New Yorker! 

That said, it still bugs the heck out of me that in Winter, she is acting like a career woman, carrying a separate "work phone" and flying here and there, needing to leave her grandpa's funeral early and only able to spend one day with her mother and not visit for Thanksgiving etc., when we now know that she is not a staff reporter for ANY publication, that her phone is not paid for by work (i.e. she is choosing to pay for three phone plans and devices herself and call one her work phone), and that no expense account is funding her travel nor is there a full time job that actually required her to not have time for her family in the previous scenes. Frankly, it makes her seem delusional. I respect (real life) freelance writers, but her behavior is totally inconsistent with someone who has that level of flexibility on work hours.

Regarding Sandee Says, I have seen some comments that Rory seems to think it is below her because it is a website - I did not take it that way, particularly after references to Slate etc. The CEO compared her site to an up and coming Huffington Post, and I think we were supposed to believe this particular site was one where Rory felt there was not quality journalism happening. I recently watched The Newsroom S3 and there is a whole plot where Jim's girlfriend whose name I can't remember gets a job with a website like that, and he is awfully sanctimonious about the whole thing, and I read Rory's reaction as the same. If she took on a full time job with them, she would be giving up on the irons in the fire, the dangling carrot from Conde Nast, the book deal on spec, etc. because she would be expected to work for them. (None of this excuses that when she finally decides to give up her dreams and work with them, she is totally unprofessional at her meeting with the CEO.)

I don't really understand why GQ (Gentleman's Quarterly), which I still think of as a men's fashion and style magazine, was doing a piece on the psychology of lines, but ok, I'll go with it. I didn't see her failure to find the story as proof that Huntzberger was right and she has no talent or ideas, since we have been told otherwise repeatedly -- I saw it as a sign that she has reached a point of exhaustion with her career, and that in that moment she just couldn't do it anymore. Her own early-30s what am I doing with my life crisis. Once she reaches that point she is ready for Sandee Says. 

Phew! Feels good to have a place to talk about all this! 

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Oh, good question! I thought In Treatment was really well written, but having never been to a therapist, have no idea if it's accurate.

I forgot about that, but I never watched it. Honestly, I didn't want to, because the idea of watching work after a work day wasn't very appealing. And I'm sure the inaccuracies would drive me nuts. But I heard it was good, at least for non-therapists.

The outfits in this installment were probably my favorites: I liked Rory's lucky dress but I liked it more as in a casual fun dress, it's not something I would consider an interview dress. Also I loved her outfit when she was doing her GQ line interview and I loved her flower dress and purse when she did her Chilton talk.

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What scenes were Ausiello, the Gilmore Guys, and Amy in? I totally missed them. I'll have to watch it again.

Ausiello was in the Rory trying to write her "line story" for GQ, he was sitting on steps eating lunch.   The Gilmore Guys played some of the B-list actors who were staying at the Dragonfly Inn. I think one of them was trying to do situps on one of those exercise balls. 

On 11/27/2016 at 7:08 AM, Jillibean said:

It would be easier for me to understand why she would cling to an ex with whom she felt comfortable, even if he is engaged to someone else, if she felt stymied by the dating world also. And heaven knows that's not an uncommon experience for people in their early 30s, either.

OMG, yes! I would have been so much more sympathetic to Rory if we know she's been running into awful assholes in the dating scene (so many people would be able to relate). It also wouldn't hurt if she seems to feel any guilt at all about cheating and being the other woman. It wasn't great when she had sex with married Dean, but at least she had enough decency to feel guilty about it back then.

While we're on the topic of ways to make Rory seem like less of a nincompoop - maybe have a line or two establishing she worked as a staff reporter for a time but got laid off due to budget cuts or maybe lost her job because the newspaper she was working at shut down - that would put her career floundering in a whole different light!

I'm trying to make my experience of the GG reboot last so I have only watched Winter and Spring so far, but I had to mention this given the discussions about Rory's so-called lucky red dress.  I could swear at one point when she was wearing it she mumbled something to herself like, "This is a totally different outfit," which made me wonder if she'd just worn the dress that was in Lorelai's closet, that Lorelai thought was the right dress, but it actually wasn't.  Did anyone else catch this or did I zone out at that point and just get the wrong end of the stick?

Edited by katisha
18 minutes ago, katisha said:

I could swear at one point when she was wearing it she mumbled something to herself like, "This is a totally different outfit," which made me wonder if she'd just worn the dress that was in Lorelai's closet, that Lorelai thought was the right dress, but it actually wasn't.  

I think she did, but in the context it was, I believe, when she realized that she was at an actual job interview - and this wasn't her job interview outfit. I can totally relate to the job interview outfit- I often bought a new outfit before an interview because it made me feel more confident.

Edited by Clanstarling

I could swear at one point when she was wearing it she mumbled something to herself like, "This is a totally different outfit," which made me wonder if she'd just worn the dress that was in Lorelai's closet, that Lorelai thought was the right dress, but it actually wasn't.  Did anyone else catch this or did I zone out at that point and just get the wrong end of the stick?

She mumbled to herself during the interview with Sandee (ugh, I can't with the spelling), but it was because she was expecting to be handed a job and instead was asked to pitch herself and "selling requires a different outfit" - like, this was her lucky outfit to be wooed, but if she had to sell herself, she needed to wear something else.

ETA: Clanstarling got there first!

Edited by Eeksquire
Just now, Eeksquire said:

She mumbled to herself during the interview with Sandee (ugh, I can't with the spelling), but it was because she was expecting to be handed a job and instead was asked to pitch herself and "selling requires a different outfit" - like, this was her lucky outfit to be wooed, but if she had to sell herself, she needed to wear something else.

ETA: Clanstarling got there first!

But you said it better.

On 11/27/2016 at 9:04 AM, Lady Calypso said:

There are many professions that would suit Lorelai, I think, but being a businesswoman is clearly the right move for her. 

She would definitely do well in anything that requires selling others on anything.  Not sure about journalism--you might need to be a little more detail oriented. But Rory could definitely use Lorelai's experiences in her own writing.

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What scenes were Ausiello, the Gilmore Guys, and Amy in? I totally missed them. I'll have to watch it again.

19 hours ago, msani19 said:

Ausiello was in the Rory trying to write her "line story" for GQ, he was sitting on steps eating lunch.   The Gilmore Guys played some of the B-list actors who were staying at the Dragonfly Inn. I think one of them was trying to do situps on one of those exercise balls. 

The Gilmore Guys are the dudes sitting at the table on their phones on the right. 

gallery-1477427578-gilmore-guys.png

18 hours ago, Bec said:

OMG, yes! I would have been so much more sympathetic to Rory if we know she's been running into awful assholes in the dating scene (so many people would be able to relate). It also wouldn't hurt if she seems to feel any guilt at all about cheating and being the other woman. It wasn't great when she had sex with married Dean, but at least she had enough decency to feel guilty about it back then.

While we're on the topic of ways to make Rory seem like less of a nincompoop - maybe have a line or two establishing she worked as a staff reporter for a time but got laid off due to budget cuts or maybe lost her job because the newspaper she was working at shut down - that would put her career floundering in a whole different light!

Both those things would have put Rory in a much more sympathetic light. Rather than Paul it would be better to have a conversation between Lorelai and Rory about all the guys/relationships she's attempted that haven't worked out due to her work lifestyle, dislike of casual dating and an abundance of assholes etc. The biggest problem with the Logan/Rory situation was they never told us why they were having the affair or how they felt about each other. 

And yes, a Rory who worked so hard at a paper only to get laid off and is now scrounging for articles would be much more sympathetic than a Rory jetting around the world for a decade, complaining about being broke.

I know the golden rule for writing is "show, don't tell" but with a ten-year jump....we need some explanation. But if anything ASP had the characters avoid talking about anything meaningful and just make terrible "we forgot Paul!" jokes over and over again.

On November 28, 2016 at 5:40 PM, msani19 said:

But where was ASP?  I am most interested in seeing her. 

I'm having a lot of the same problems with the first 2 eps that a lot of you are, but I liked the bit where Lorelai was watching "A History Of Violence" and compared Viggo Mortensen's character to Luke. That made me laugh.

On 11/25/2016 at 2:20 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Rory was kind of funny in this one: "I'm tap dancing in front of the kids, I think I'm scaring them"

That made me laugh, too - the way she just started tap-dancing as she lost the book deal with the English woman. Also, the nanny refusing to go upstairs. 

On 11/25/2016 at 7:07 PM, shron17 said:

He was, but I loved the callback to Paris's crush on him and her subsequent meltdown.  Felt very real for someone getting divorced.

I hadn't thought of that. I was kind of disappointed that she had a meltdown, but it's in-character. Even though she's successful, she's still Paris. I didn't like the bathroom part, until Francie showed that she was still just as petty - then I laughed.

On 11/26/2016 at 1:53 AM, lordonia said:

A small moment that made me laugh was the headmaster having to counsel the traumatized students after Paris' talk.

Haha! I missed the part that someone else mentioned, about the kids filing out of the classrooms, because my sister was talking to me, but I did hear that bit. I also liked the teacher running away from her - the one she called out a "hello" to. It reminded me of the Senators all announcing that they needed the bathroom, to get away from her, at the beginning of season three.

The therapist part once again reminded me of me and my mother. We were best friends for most of my life, but she would have done the exact same thing (and she loved Emily). She would have expected someone else to change, not her (at least until she chose to, of her own accord), and she also didn't see the point in paying someone to disagree with her - that had me laughing out loud. I told my sister, and that gave her a good laugh, too. 

On 11/27/2016 at 4:28 PM, SlackerInc said:

Okay, now that I've seen this second one, it's pretty apparent that the people referencing Rory's career struggles, and Odette, in the "Winter" thread were spoiling.  If any of you are still reading here: not cool.  

Not me. I'd only seen "Winter" at the time, and have only just seen "Spring". I did run into some spoilers in another thread, but I hadn't seen the post, warning about that sort of thing. It was my own fault for checking out things like "unpopular opinions" and the relationship thread. 

I also thought that Mitchum looked exactly the same, and so did Lulu. I liked Kirk's film, but missed a few things, and will have to watch it again.