Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Spring

• Start Topic

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that Luke did his stereotypical man thing of dismissing Lorelai's feelings about Michel leaving. That balances out her continuing with the surrogacy in the first episode, and eliminates my pre-release concern that Lorelai was wandering around all self-involved. It's easier to respect both characters when flaws are evident on both sides in the plot.

"Why does everything need to grow? If something's good, keep it the same." So... Luke is no longer talking about the Dragonfly Inn at this point, right? Heh.

It was bad enough that Rory was apparently cheating on her boyfriend who she keeps forgetting to break up with. Now we find out Logan has a fiancee, so Rory is basically his piece on the side? Oh, girl. You'd think getting yelled at in public by the mom of the wife of the married guy you banged would be enough to put you off this kind of thing forever. At least she realizes it's questionable?

Jeebus, was anyone crying out for a second Kirk film? At least he didn't take his shirt off this time.

Okay, I'm not a writer, but I can still relate to the pain of working for someone who just throw a bunch of nonsensical crap at you and expect you to turn that into a coherent project.

That SandeeSays office looks like the ninth circle of hell. People actually manage to write in an office like that?

Acting was better. Story was not. This one kind of had me bored, wanting to check my phone, etc. I just finished and already forgot a lot that happened. 

It just seems like the characters are stuck in the exact same place we left them, only with less hope. We've seen Rory floundering without any work prospects before. We've seen Lorelei and Luke hiding crap from each other before. It's pretty depressing. 

I was happy to see Logan last episode, which shocked me, but now knowing that he's engaged - not so much. Again, Rory sleeping with a seriously taken man. Not a good look. 

I did love Kirk's second short film. The hubcap, you can see the arm throwing it out there! Freaking Kirk. I love him. 

Liz and TJ accidentally joined a cult. That was great as well. 

Hi, Mr. Kim!!!! Finally. After all these years. That was totally for the fans. Thank you. 

The whole gay pride plot at the town meeting was so disappointing. I had hoped ASP had moved beyond jokes about Geyhead and Spermacetti in recent years, but I see she hasn't.

Uh.. what Logan has a fiancée? What the hell? I mean, Logan as a character pretty much starts as a negative 6 and now this? 

Spring was more fun but in don't know we seem to be trying to recreate lighting here with this show that happened before.

Mr. Kim! 

I don't care about Rory's book thing with this Naomi person. I don't. 

1 hour ago, sweetlouisiana said:

Just wanted to ask if the Sandy Says CEO was the same girl who gave Rory her tour on the first day of Yale?

Her voice sounded SO familiar to me. I was picturing the DAR twins that Emily told to look for Rory at Yale. 

I've never seen Bunheads, so I know I don't recognize the girl from that. 

21 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

For me the highlight is Kelly Bishop/Emily

Always and forever. She slays every time. Paris and Emily are my two favorite characters on the show. What does that say about me? That I like the "mean" characters? Haha

9 minutes ago, starri said:

I always really liked Headmaster Charleston.  Although I don't know why we needed Tristan without Chad-Michael Murray.  Or even with, frankly.

Did they actually show him? It happened so fast, I missed it. 

I'm also not a Tristan fan and feel the same way that I wouldn't have wanted to see him even if they could have got CMM but it was even worse with a look-a-like. I would have preferred Madeline and/or Louise. According to their IMDB profiles the actresses haven't been very busy, so they could probably even have got the originals.

6 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I'm also not a Tristan fan and feel the same way that I wouldn't have wanted to see him even if they could have got CMM but it was even worse with a look-a-like. I would have preferred Madeline and/or Louise. According to their IMDB profiles the actresses haven't been very busy, so they could probably even have got the originals.

There was really no need for Tristen lookalike cameo. But seriously Madeline and Louisa I would have loved

I didn't think that was CMM, so thanks for the confirmation. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded the real Tristan. I don't love the actor as a person, but I find him tolerable enough onscreen and haven't seen him since he seemingly died on Agent Carter. And why do I now have this crazy idea of Tristan and Paris getting together?

Alexis Bledel is doing better as the episodes go on, although she will never reach the love I had for seasons 1-2 Rory, when she actually was the town sweetheart. I will say, the serial cheating thing - at least the show's being consistent. And I want that flowered dress.

God, Headmaster Charleston hasn't changed in 16 years.

Louise and Madeline should have been back...and the irony would have been that both were successful in their own right..plus having hisbands/kids.  the two 'underachievers' having more success then the two type A's.

Lorelei and Emily in therapy...comic genius.

I would have preferred Madeline and/or Louise.

Seriously, how is it they couldn't have been written into the Chilton scenes, at least? I would've loved seeing an update on them.

The first 30 minutes or so were a bit overdone, but I did like some of the callbacks and Gypsy's little baiting of Taylor. Was that Bootsy in the town meeting? Color me impressed that they've recalled a character who only appeared a few scant scenes in the second season.

I never was very invested in Rory's relationships, though Rory/Logan came the closest to holding my interest but now...ick.  Seriously, bad enough they were booty calling while she keeps "forgetting" about Paul...now Logan is engaged? I do think Rory was feeling ashamed of herself in the scene with Mitchum though, since he was so wink-wink, nudge-nudge at the both of them.  After this I seriously don't think Logan has any shot at being endgame.

I will say, I think there has been some decent and logical development of Rory's career situation. I think the failed article for GQ and her crappy interview with Sandee shows that she isn't a dynamic or creative enough for the new style of journalism that has been developing. She is expects things to fall in her lap and can't roll with the punches. It's almost like the Sherman-Palladinos have been listening to fan critiques.

Well, things are quiet at the inlaws (one of the things I love about visiting them) so maybe I will get through all four this weekend.  Just watched Spring.  Holy cow....Mr Kim!  I had to rewind to rewatch the minute or so after that because I was too distracted by that little event and didn't catch a thing that happened next....didn't think they'd show him.  I like that decision...two running gags have been resolved, Mr Kim and the mystery of Michel's sexuality.  I suspected in Winter that Emily's ever changing maids might be another running gag coming to a conclusion....and there that maid was again....hmmm.....

Oh, the minute Luke and Lorelai lied to each other I knew everyone here would be so disappointed....lol.  Me too...Crap!  

Okay, I like Rory's storyline just fine.  Yeah, the love life is a bit disturbing.  But they're really having her hit rock bottom and I'm enjoying seeing it play out.  

I liked the little bits of history we never knew before like Michel and the t-shirt stain moment....awww!  I always like when Michel is taken seriously however briefly.  I also loved learning that Rory took a music composition class.  

Where are they going with this Luke's franchising thing?  Guess I'll find out in Summer or Fall!  

4 hours ago, ghoulina said:
5 hours ago, sweetlouisiana said:

Just wanted to ask if the Sandy Says CEO was the same girl who gave Rory her tour on the first day of Yale?

Her voice sounded SO familiar to me. I was picturing the DAR twins that Emily told to look for Rory at Yale. 

I've never seen Bunheads, so I know I don't recognize the girl from that. 

She also plays the aggravating, bad-judgment teen daughter on The Affair.  Though it was initially driving me nuts trying to place her.  IMO she's a much better actress that what we got here.

Wow. Spring was interesting. It started off very slow but toward the end – wow. I have to say, I really relate to Rory. She is still the same in terms of being messy. She’s sleeping with Logan even though he’s engaged? I guess a Leopard never changes his spots. I feel like they aren’t going to get together…and I really want them to.

Lorelei finally going to therapy by herself is fantastic. Where is Christopher? I miss him.

Also- I would have loved to see Madeline and Louise at the Chilton day. Francie was random and fun.

It was fantastic seeing Doyle. I hope he and Paris make up.

As an OG Tristan/Rory fan – I was pissed that they didn’t bring back Chad Michael Murray. That would have been good. That fake Tristan was lame.

I suppose the point of the SandeeSays CEO is that she's kinda like Rory but younger (as in she looks about 12) and more "with it" on how media works now.

4 hours ago, HeySandyStrange said:

I will say, I think there has been some decent and logical development of Rory's career situation.

Yeah, I like this story, too. She's finding out her dream career is not as great as she thought it was going to be, that's she's not so well-suited for it, now she has to figure out where she does fit - happens to a lot of people, this is very relatable stuff.

This doesn't feel the same as the plot where she floundered before. At least I'm hoping this doesn't head towards Rory committing another crime and then miraculously getting back on track to the ambitious job she's still not that suited for. Maybe something more down-to-earth will happen this time.

The lame Tristan was silly. What was the point of that? For Paris to realize she was "still in love" with a guy she hadn't seen in over 10 years? Was that part of her emotional turmoil? I didn't get that part. 

8 hours ago, Bec said:

That SandeeSays office looks like the ninth circle of hell. People actually manage to write in an office like that?

Ugh yes! It looked like the break room of someone else's office. And no windowss? I would die! 

Again the peripheral characters continue to outshine the Gilmore girls. I loved the Paris meltdown and look forward to more of her dramatics. I actually liked that Tristan's stand in was just a pawn to elicit her reaction. I've missed PAris!

I didn't dislike Episode 1 as much as some other posters, but even still I thought Episode 2 was a significant step up. Apparently Daniel P. remembers these characters better than Amy.

Also that silly Welcome song got some chuckles from me.

Edited by Kromm

Paris kicking the door closed, epic pose holding it shut, in those sky-high heels no less... Highlight of the episode.

So just what IS the explanation for Mr Kim anyway? I was content to believe that Mrs Kim was a widow (even if it was never mentioned). But now, knowing that he DOES exist, it raises the question of where the hell has he been all this time? Lane was surprised to see him. But Rory knew him. So it's not like he lived in another city or something. I'm bugged.

How was the gay pride parade thing homophobic? They were disappointed that they didn't have enough gay people in town to actually have a parade. They were trying to figure out who might do it, and they were (imo realistically) surprised that certain people were and were not gay. But nobody CARED. It wasn't like "oh, johnny is gay? Figures, he always seemed off to me." It was just "oh, johnny is gay? Cool, does he want to march?" And it wasn't "oh, bobby is straight? Phew, I was worried about him." It was "oh, bobby is straight? Huh, I always assumed he was gay, and I never asked because it didn't really matter to me either way!"

I don't know why they didn't mention Michel and Frederic... But I did think it was hilarious that they were all trying to get Taylor to out himself. That man is in deep denial. I don't see how it's homophobic for the town to be trying to convince this guy to finally admit what they've all always known.

1 minute ago, tankgirl73 said:

I don't see how it's homophobic for the town to be trying to convince this guy to finally admit what they've all always known.

Because it's nobody else's damned business when or if he comes out?  And I know I'm perhaps overly sensitive to this, but the jibes seemed a little mean-spirited.

Well they didn't force the issue when he didn't come out then. IMO they were trying to give him a safe space... to say "look, this is the perfect chance for you, we already know and we're fine with it, you don't have to hide from us." 

I'll have to watch again to see if the jibes truly were mean-spirited, but TBH it didn't come across that way to me. That's not to invalidate your sensitivities, of course -- we all come at this from a different place. Though "mean-spirited" isn't out of character for this show, of course. The original series was way more into the cliched gay comedy (ie, guys not wanting to hug, talking about certain behaviours being "a little gay" as though that's something they don't want to appear as, etc). Now we've got open discussion of a pride parade -- even though it doesn't happen, it's not because they didn't want it to, they're positively disappointed that it doesn't, -- a married gay man as one of the secondary leads, in Michel, and an open conversation about various townies that may or may not be gay with nobody being any more than gossip-curious. Not critical, shaming, or judgemental. Obviously YMMV. But however you interpret it, it's certainly, I think, massive progress?

2 minutes ago, tankgirl73 said:

But however you interpret it, it's certainly, I think, massive progress?

Maybe progress, but not what I would consider massive.  Michel's husband was a non-character who had exactly one personality trait.  I thought Michel was used phenomenally well here, but it's not exactly a well-rounded character of a queer guy.

And aside from the stereotypes, what evidence do we have that Taylor is queer?

I know the network politics were what they were when the show started, but even by those standards, LGBT content was handled spectacularly poorly.  The current CW has gotten better, but they still have a ways to go.

This is basically Rory centric because I'm already getting sick of her BS. Something I really didn't like was what felt to me special treatment of Rory. I like that Rory, herself, doesn't feel feel so great, and that it's being dismantled slowly, but the heaps of praise for what amounts to very little is weird for me. From all we've seen so far, Rory has done nothing. 9 years and all she has is (what seems to me) a fluff piece, and the book thing (before that fell through). I'm assuming she's written during that time, but she's never had a steady job and one piece for the New Yorker is the best she's done and that was super recent. There's this undercurrent of "Best and Brightest Rory Gilmore" that I just don't really agree with. Like Headmaster Charleston being all happy to see her was weird because Paris has accomplished a ton of more stuff than Rory has, but Rory gets praise because....she has the sweeter disposition? This isn't a huge deal compared to how much people bent over backwards for Rory in the OG series, but it kind of annoys me. 

Also it really pissed me off how Rory dismissed the website like that. Get off your high horse Rory. You have no prospects, no place to live, your personal life is in shambles. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the site from what I could see. So it seemed [stereotypically ]  millenial, at least it was a job and there was no indication that it was some trashy gossip site like TMZ. I hated how she acted all condescending and above it all and thought she could just walk into the interview totally unprepared because it wasn't "real news" to her. And she was totally rude in that phone call afterwards. 

I actually don't understand why she doesn't like the GQ article. This is the girl who wrote a cement article so good her advisor/teacher nearly cried when she was only 16. But, she can't write about the psychology of lines? (Which tbh if written well sounds like an interesting piece, that I would read) There were a ton of different POVs to take in. All those people were super nice and to me it seemed like a lot of fun. But, she doesn't 'feel it'. Coming from an artist here, you don't always 'feel it', but sometimes you just gotta keep going with it regardless of that if you want to make any money. I'm just really over all of this attitude when she literally needs ANY job right now. I just don't get the feeling she's trying all that hard (though that could still change).

Rory and Logan are still gross (the scenes are cute but I can't even enjoy them) Very disappointed in both of them. I can't even tell who I'm more upset with, Logan, who I thought proved he was better than cheating (And on his fiancee no less) or Rory, who has been down this exact road and I thought for certain would learn from it. 

30 minutes ago, tankgirl73 said:

How was the gay pride parade thing homophobic? They were disappointed that they didn't have enough gay people in town to actually have a parade. They were trying to figure out who might do it, and they were (imo realistically) surprised that certain people were and were not gay. But nobody CARED. It wasn't like "oh, johnny is gay? Figures, he always seemed off to me." It was just "oh, johnny is gay? Cool, does he want to march?" And it wasn't "oh, bobby is straight? Phew, I was worried about him." It was "oh, bobby is straight? Huh, I always assumed he was gay, and I never asked because it didn't really matter to me either way!"

I don't know why they didn't mention Michel and Frederic... But I did think it was hilarious that they were all trying to get Taylor to out himself. That man is in deep denial. I don't see how it's homophobic for the town to be trying to convince this guy to finally admit what they've all always known.

I didn't think it was homophobic, but rather tasteless. It was like they're festishizing (for lack of a better word) gay people. To me, it came off as if gay people were some sort of commodity not regular people. It felt like they were trying too hard to get with the times. I wasn't particularly bothered by it, but I didn't feel like it was necessary at all. 

Lorelai and Luke, two steps forward one step back. That's all I can say. Ditto, for Lorelai and Emily. 

Overall I enjoyed this one more than Winter, just because it wasn't as heavy I think.  REALLY do not like the Rory/Logan storyline.  Just....ugh.  I don't even want to talk about it.

Lorelai's flat out lying to Luke about something that wouldn't be that big of a deal if she was just honest, because she doesn't want to admit to him she's not as happy with her life as she thinks she should be.  We've been here before, I recognize that tree.  LORD.  That's what sucked every ounce of joy out of this show a decade ago.  Can we please, please, let these characters learn from their mistakes and move on?

I know Rory's a 32 year old woman, and not a child anymore, and I'm just a grouchy old lady, but it just makes me really uncomfortable to see her and Lorelai joking about one-night stands.  I thought "I slept with a wookie!" was going to be a joke, like she fell asleep waiting in line with them and ended up laying in his lap or something, but no.  It was sex.

Weird seeing Paris with children.  I'm glad she at least isn't a dragon lady like her own mother, even if she doesn't exactly exude warmth and fun.

I may be in the minority, but I didn't like seeing Mr. Kim.  Lane and Rory waving to some man offscreen would have been funny if they had to go there, but I didn't want to actually see him.

Same goes for CMM-less Tristan.  Whyyyy?

Francie.  I got enough of her in S2.  Her and Paris' natural hostility coming back out at least was amusing.

I think Rory should seriously consider getting her Master's and teaching at Chilton.  I don't know why she was so quick to dismiss it.

a second film by kirk - OMG.  Love.  That was fabulous.  And I literally shrieked with laughter at his huge stacked wig.  What was that all about?  LMAO.

Oh and everybody bringing food into the movies?  Babette and Morey grilling?  Bahahahahahahaa.  Seriously dying with laughter.

So....Logan having a fiancee has to be another clue that him and Rory will break things off for good this time....right? Oh god, please let me be right because I was on board with these two being endgame before watching this. Now, I want both of them to move on from each other because both of them are toxic for one another. Seriously, these two are in their 30s now. Rory should be settling down; I agree with Emily that it's not the time to explore and travel because she's had all of this time to do so. At 30, she should be settling down and not be "here and there". But I'm a 22 year old who's almost in the same boat, so maybe I was hoping for more from Rory.

I loved the Chilton scenes. I always enjoyed Headmaster Charleston, even when he was being a dick. Here, I'm kind of hoping that Rory takes him up on his offer and gets her Masters because I can actually maybe see her as a teacher. Maybe they're setting up for her to be a teacher there, which would be fine with me. I expected her to return to Stars Hollow for good at some point. And seeing not-CMM as Tristan, even in one shot, was sad. Man, they could have easily gotten CMM back if they asked! Even for a thirty second scene! 

So, Rory didn't want the job at the website aka Faux Buzzfeed until she couldn't find any better options. And then she walked in, expecting the job and got a job interview instead. Now, the CEO was pretty harsh and unprofessional in some ways and I dislike the environment, but Rory coming in unprepared is even worse. She's supposed to be 30/32. She's acting like she's 22. 

A lot of the comedic moments felt forced. They may have been somewhat funny, but they definitely were forced, like the food grilling scene at the movies. 

Paris with children? At least the children were cute, and I did laugh at the Stairs of Doom. That was actually pretty funny. 

Ok, what's with the lying about therapy? What is the purpose in the lying? I guess because then she'll admit that she's not happy with the way things are? I assume she wants to marry him and still have a kid with him, so that is something they should be talking about anyway. 

That was an annoying plot gap, the need to have a gay person in a gay pride parade. Anyone can march to support gay rights; you don't need to be gay.

There's a whole list of nitpicks I will have to write about someday. But I still loved the shows. 

Rory still hasn't broken up with Paul?! Oy. The bit was funny, now it's just weird. Where does he live? Does he also travel a lot? When she mentioned couch surfing, she never mentioned his place, which signals it's not serious. Along with her sleeping with other men, obvs. But she also called him her BF, and it's been 2-1/2 years. You generally don't date someone un-seriously for 2-1/2 years. (And if you did, you wouldn't say they're your BF.) I guess it's just a bit. Not an actual plot point. Paul should have vanished after Winter.

Frustrated that Lorelei insisted in therapy that all that stuff was in the past. Oh, honey, it's not in the past if you haven't ever actually worked through it.

Emily reminds us once again that she is an unfit mother. It was dirty pool to invite her to meet the therapist then drop out. That was unacceptably manipulative. Reminds me of the spa trip in season two, I think, although that one was at least a time limited pleasure trip. 

Lorelai was at least honest in recommending it to her.

I adore Alex Kingston with all my heart, but good God does she grate on this show. So, so cringey. I was a bit disappointed to see so much of the episode take place outside of SH.

Babette and Maury grilling sausages was worth the price of admission. Absolutely hysterical sight gag.

Loved Mae Whitman standing right next to Lauren and Alexis. I thought Lauren and Alexis looked more like mother and daughter than Lauren and Mae, but seeing all three of them together at once, it's pretty even IMO.

Why was Tristan even there? He didn't even graduate from Chilton.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
24 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Good catch! Not only that, but since they couldn't secure CMM, why bother? There were certainly many, many other memories of Chilton that would have given Paris cause for the freak out.

Are we sure it really *was* Tristan? They saw him for only a moment and we know it wasn't the same actor. I seem to recall that Rory wasn't sure if it was him or not, only Paris was sure, and she's not always a reliable witness. I've certainly seen people that I'm convinced I went to HS with, only to re-evaluate when I stand closer to them. 

57 minutes ago, MarshallB6 said:

Good catch! Not only that, but since they couldn't secure CMM, why bother? There were certainly many, many other memories of Chilton that would have given Paris cause for the freak out.

Agreed. I thought showing Francie was enough to trigger the freakout. They could have cut Tristan and just shown Francie getting under Paris's skin with the student council stuff for the same effect.

Madeline and Louise not returning was a huge fail on the shows part.

I really have nothing positive to say about Rory sleeping with engaged Logan. Logan I kind of expect it, he's always been a playboy rich kid.

Generally speaking,I've found the Daniel Palladino written episodes were usually never as good as Amy's...and this was no exception. Firstly...
Oh man, that was way too much Rory for me. Lorelai centered eps are good, Lorelai/Rory are good, but Rory centric....this was bordering on boring to me. Just not as interesting to me as the first ep. I did enjoy that back and forth conversation with the CEO girl over the phone,with the Get a better phone, get a better attitude, get a better office, get a better life!...Get lost!... Get.....shorty! Good delivery on that last line! She's never been a strong actress but every now and then......

That Taylor meeting went on too long. I never was a big fan of the town meetings, sure there was some funny banter, but Taylor going on and on is a buzzkill.

Since they were in NYC, I was really thinking/anticipating that Jess would make his appearance, but alas, it will have to wait another ep,or two. Though I'm guessing it won't be romantic. But hey why not, she's sleeping with everyone else! :)
So Logan(blech) is *engaged* to some French chick,and Rory is still hooking up with him? What the hell! Please show, don't make them end game, I couldn't stand that. And then the one night stand thing with some rando guy in a Wookie outfit? Could have done without that.
The Michel ranting and raving was a bit over the top, even for him.

So I guess we're going to get celebrity chefs at the Inn as a running joke. Come back Sookie!
Did anyone watch Amy Sherman-Palladino's other show, Bunheads? That young girl who did that last interview with Rory was one of the Bunheads. Noticed her right away.
Best gag of the ep- the scene at the bookstore for movie night, where Kirk is telling everyone they can't bring in any outside food, then they cut to everyone eating different types of food, Laine and her gang with the Chinese food, Babette with the sausages and the one that cracked me up was when the guy pulls a friggin' whole chocolate cake out of a box!

So yep, didn't like this one near as much as Winter. But it's still GG and I'll take it!

Edited by Valny
14 hours ago, Nostariel said:

No, it's one of the ballerinas from ASP's other show Bunheads.

She was the Bunheads' Rory stand in the multi generational triangle they had going on there.

For those who haven't seen it there is a whole bunch of the GG cast  in it starting with Kelly playing the anti-Emily,Gypsy,Paris,the harpist from the early seasons,Kirk the barista ,Zach as a one eyed plumber ,Digger and Logan's dad as a surfer dude diner owner

4 hours ago, lordonia said:

A small moment that made me laugh was the headmaster having to counsel the traumatized students after Paris' talk.

Also as the students filed out you can see those from Rory's class smiling and the other side upset and crying.  I felt as though there were multiple small moments in all of the episodes to love.  I think that's what I love most about GG written by the Palladinos--the small moments sprinkled around each storyline, especially those you might not even notice the first time.  I want to go back and make a list of those rather than the nitpicks.

7 hours ago, junienmomo said:

That was an annoying plot gap, the need to have a gay person in a gay pride parade. Anyone can march to support gay rights; you don't need to be gay.

That really bugged me too, and made it feel like gay people were being put on parade for nosy townspeople to gawk at.  Also trying to out Taylor--seriously not cool.

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Paris with children? At least the children were cute, and I did laugh at the Stairs of Doom. That was actually pretty funny. 

Having grown up in a split level house I loved the stair gag.  "Why did you let the nanny go upstairs?  We can't lose another nanny!"