Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Pilgrim Rick

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I did balk at Randall being able to do all that on Thanksgiving.  I certainly don't have a spare 3 hours before dinner when I host that day, and I'd never leave a houseful of guests, even family, for a long-ass errand, either.  Did they even say just why William needed his tapes that day as opposed to say the next?  Was it his T'giving tradition?  

As I remember it, William told Randall about how he and his sober musician friends made those tapes on Thanksgivings when they were jamming, and Randall took it upon himself to go and get them to surprise William. 

• Love 1

Does no one else sweat on a hike?  I would need a good shower and time to redo makeup and hair before eating.  Considering the house only has three bedrooms, I would not be happy having to share the bathroom with everyone else.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Even if she has a lot of family issues, who acts like that? No one.

Exactly. In my opinion, crappy family issues are an explanation of bad behavior, but not an excuse. You can be the most miserable person around and still choose to behave decently.

• Love 7
On 11/28/2016 at 2:01 AM, JudyObscure said:

I wear old clothes and no make-up around the house,  but I don't care if someone drops by and sees me that way.  If they're my friends I don't expect them to care about things like that and I'm always happy to stop  the chores and have a cup of coffee with them.  

I don't drop in myself because I never know if someone is at home or not, which is why people call, and I'd call. My friends call because they know I might still be at work (weekdays) or sleeping (weekend). If they do drop by unexpectedly it's no biggie - I don't wear makeup and I just have to make them wait till I put on a bra. (And my house is usually messy even when I know folks are coming over.) So if a friend's been in my building to visit someone else and didn't call / drop by, I would be very hurt. I know that because I have a friend who does that - visits a mutual friend in the same building - and it's hurtful. Things have definitely changed now though. When I was a kid I used to go to my next door neighbour's house all the time, whenever I felt like it. 

On 11/28/2016 at 9:18 PM, JenE4 said:

Randall was always Rebecca's favorite, and now she has a strained relationship with Kevin and Kate because of it (and the weight stuff, etc). It's a really big deal for Randall to now feel betrayed by Rebecca, and she's going to have a crappy relationship with all three kids that she's going to have to work to mend. I know most of you all are down on Miguel, but I'm pretty anti-Rebecca right now. She's actively damaged her kids emotionally. Miguel's only crime so far is not being Jack and wanting to do the fun tradition for the grandkids. 

I've not been a Rebecca fan from the 2nd episode, but given that she didn't screw her children up intentionally, I find myself giving her some slack. I don't think she's actively damaged her kids. And not being Jack is a pretty big crime, emotionally. 

3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

You don't have someone in your family who is a "wheezler?"  My father takes back roads all the time.   Yes the breaking down was a bit contrived but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Happened to my family once on a back road while my father was taking one of his short cuts and we were in a foreign country at the time.   These fun crazy family stories happen.  It's what makes fun family stories.

My dad. And my brother gets it from him. They will always take the shortcuts and the back alleys to avoid traffic signals, to save time, not that my mother and I have ever noted any shaving off of time. 

• Love 3
On 11/23/2016 at 11:21 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Yes; why not have them put on the sweaters right before they get out of the car?  I think that Kate's hand knitted sweater was a call back to the

knitted baby outfits that Grandma had made for the "Big Three." I guess she wasn't so thrilled that Randall got to wear one of them.

It was Jack's mother who knitted "the big three" onsies, if recall, not Rebecca's.

• Love 1

If so, then Jack's mom at least died sometime between the births in 1980 and Thanksgiving 1988.  And his father also died at some point prior to Thanksgiving 1988.

How sad to lose both parents by 44, which I believe Jack woukd have been in 1988.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:22 PM, Enigma X said:

Ninety percent of my unexpected visitors don't get the courtesy of an answer. I do not answer the door. I also do not try to keep quiet or pretend like I am not home.

omg when my boy-child was an infant & I was home my MIL would show up whenever she pleased  "I figured you were just home alone so..."  ( clearly not doing the dishes or feeding the baby or cleaning or trying to work out or catching five minutes to call my girlfriends or....)

it was an apartment building, and once my SIL decided to drop by too...announcing by throwing pebbles up at my window.  good times, good times (NOT!!!!)

• Love 3
On 11/22/2016 at 10:20 PM, DearEvette said:

I guess Olivia's overriding personality trait is utter rudeness?  "You're the adopted one."  To Randall, um... really? And then "How does it feel to die." To Wiliam.  Seriously.  Who says that to a stranger?  She was uniformly terrible.

I find this writing choice odd, almost as odd as I did when they literally wrote Kevin saying "it's not my job to convince [You, Mr. Director, who are the de facto audience] you of anything."  (That's... kind of the point of acting, Kev.)  That emotionally tone deaf and tactless Olivia is the proper person to teach Kevin about accessing his emotions, is pretty rich also.  "You are expected to believe I am a success at this; nay, even a perfect trustworthy tutor, at the art of getting in touch with your emotions.  Mine are wrong when displayed, and can just as easily be dreadfully offputting; but still, I am clearly the perfect person to teach YOU, even as I act like I have some sort of neuro-atypical condition that doesn't clearly let me comprehend how people might react to me."  Based upon these statements I don't understand how anyone is expected to believe anyone would want to cast Olivia or Kevin.

I do think it's kind of interesting, assuming intentional, that Kate is drawn to Toby and Kevin is drawn to Olivia, the love interests being kind of alike in their manner of thinking.

On 11/22/2016 at 10:35 PM, betweenthebanter said:

I'm glad that other people had issues with Miguel wanting to wear the hat. I could have had a little sympathy for Miguel if the storyline had just been him feeling left out of the Pearson's Thanksgiving traditions and him wanting to create his own tradition with the granddaughters. He had no business trying to infiltrate the tradition that Jack started, and that Kevin and Randall had already figured out the way they wanted to continue that tradition.

Isn't Miguel supposed to have his own kids?

I have issues with the fact that Miguel in that elderly makeup, looks like TPTB found the person who turns Tyler Perry into Madea.  (Which is not to say that I was thrilled with his behavior, heh.  But largely he skeeves me out because they're making him look like something not found in nature.)

On 11/24/2016 at 3:45 PM, HeyThere83 said:

Even if Rebecca isn't shown to be evil, or just that she's making mistakes, it's still really being implied that SHE is responsible for all of her children's "issues." Not one, or even two, but all of them. She shouldn't have kept the secret, she should have remembered the name of Kevin's play, she shouldn't have given Kate that cantaloupe, she shouldn't have let the light stay on, she shouldn't have acted that way at the pool, etc. So I don't think it has been balanced in that sense at all. Maybe there is some reason for this though that will come to light as the season rolls along. 

ETA: She also married Miguel who is being shown unfavorably, and her children don't care for him.

I join those who think and assume that Jack's eventual death is from complications related to alcoholism, which gives plenty of opportunities for him to be "the bad guy".  Right now it's a little tiresome, true, but it's not without realism, to have the meat-and-potatoes parent be the one everyone's ass rides for being a ballbuster.  Well, yeah, but someone's got to handle the unpleasantries; otherwise nothing gets done.

• Love 2
On 11/23/2016 at 3:04 PM, Neurochick said:

So you couldn't forgive the person who mothered you because she didn't allow you to meet a man who basically was stranger to Randall. IMO Jack was his father.  Randall is more like Jack than William because Jack raised him.    I don't get why biology is SO important, it's who raises you that's important.  Who is to say that Randall and William would have had any type of relationship?  

Years ago, people didn't tell things to children, ever.  I went to school with a girl who didn't know she had four half siblings, until she was twenty years old.  I went to school with a girl who, when her mother died of cancer, her father sent her to school the next day and didn't allow her to go to the funeral.  IMO none of this stuff was right, but both of these women came to realize many years later that their parents did what they did because they thought they were protecting them.  The father of the girl whose mom died thought his daughter (she was about 7 at the time) wouldn't be able to handle a funeral and wanted her life to go on as normal.  People do all kinds of screwed up stuff when they think they're protecting you. 

I think she acts that way because she doesn't know what real emotions are, she doesn't know what real feelings are, she doesn't know what the truth is.  

Years ago people did lots of things, yes.  But 36 years after being adopted,  Randall is still searching for that part of himself. Randall has expressed interest in knowing where he came from -  biologically.  I get that biology might not be a  big deal to some but it's a big deal to him. Knowing William is his father doesn't change his love for or relationship with Jack. I mean, he acts like Jack -  more so than Kevin and Kate. But he still wanted to know his biological background. And there's nothing wrong with that. My friend is now in regular contact with the daughter she was unable to raise as a teenager. Her daughter contacted her as a teenager with her adoptive parents' blessing. And now as a young adult she has joined her biological family and considers herself to have two families. One who has known her all her life and another who she's only known a few years but feels connected to,  partly (she says) because of a strong physical resemblance to several members of her bio family. 

Depending on where and how you adopt,  one decision to be made is whether to adopt a child whose biological family is involved. There are a bunch of opinions on this: some parents feel it's too confusing for the children, others allow the biological parents to get a yearly picture and update but not have contact with the child, etc. 

What I'd like to know is whether Rebecca told anyone that she was in touch with William. I wonder how Jack reacted if he did know. Perhaps she kept it a secret.  Or it's even possible that she told Jack but he disagreed with the contact and so she hid further communication from him. 

On 11/23/2016 at 4:20 PM, JudyObscure said:

I  had forgotten that!  Wow, I can't imagine not being welcome to drop in on my son, now and then.  Not that I wouldn't probably always call first, but still, that would hurt to think I couldn't follow an impulse on the way to the theatre.

Re the cooking: I always cook for my family, and like Randall, I do it all the same day.  Baked goods just always taste best the day they're made, so I do them in the morning, vegetables are best prepared at the last minute, and we always have the hot carved turkey, so what it comes down to is a whole day cooking and more minute timing than a Nasa launch.  There's no way in this world I would get it all on the table, piping hot, and decide to send the kids away and let it all go tepid while I had a family show down.

I didn't take that as Rebecca not being welcome. She didn't call first, not even on the way to his house. 

• Love 2

Right.  That's what I said.  She wasn't welcome to drop in.  Meaning she always had to call first.  I think it's always best to call first, but if someone doesn't do it, particularly my own mother, I wouldn't hint that she should have done it the way Randall did.  To me, saying to someone, 'You should call first," is far, far ruder than not calling.  It's correcting someone else's manners (always bad) and it's saying that you aren't always happy to see them.  It's not like anyone's going to get caught in the middle of sex or a fight or something.  You always have the option of not answering the door if it's a really bad time.

Honestly, the more I think about it, if I went to my son's house, and for some reason hadn't called first ( last minute impulse, no cell phone, whatever) and he or his wife said I should have called first  -- I would never go to their house again for any reason, not for Christmas, not for the kid's birthdays, nothing.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

And you don't care if you catch the person in their pajamas or bathtub or mid-workout or on a conference call or whatever condition they'd prefer to not stop and answer the door in.  

But, if you call first they have to stop and answer the phone. 

That's it.  I'm never calling or visiting anyone ever again, I had no idea how much people hated it. ;)

Edited because now I'm thinking about Winston's sister who seems to be my soulmate, with the never returning thing.  Come to think of it I rarely call people for any reason. It's so bad I force myself to call particular friends once or twice a year so I wont lose them.  I think maybe some of us don't "call first," because we don't know what to say.  I would feel more intrusive and pushy calling someone and saying, "I'm coming over!" than I would knocking on the door and saying, "Hi.  I thought you might like some of these cookies I made."  Come to think of it, I made cookie/fudge tins for the neighbors last Christmas and took them around without calling first!  Uh oh.

I don't remember the exact scene when they asked Rebecca not to drop by unannounced

I think it  was Randall sarcastically telling Miguel, "Thanks for calling first."  He didn't actually say it directly to his mom, I just imagined that.  I've thought about this way too much.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 1

I think sometimes the advisability of a drop-in centers around whether or not people are good housekeepers (I'm not, and appall my female family members); whether it's a situation where the people in question are used to unwelcome interruptions (in NYC, as an apartment-dweller, some neighborhoods can get a lot of solicitors they don't want, to the point of view where if you were a certain type of person, I could imagine them developing a Pavlovian aversion-and-loath towards your own doorbell - I even used to get multiple "aural visits" by fat-fingered idiots who wanted the apartment below, atop, or to either side of me, and were too stupid to figure how to hit only one button); and/or how spontaneous your subject strikes you in general.  (Not to mention all those horror movies schooling us that it's never a good idea to answer the door, ha.)

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I would feel more intrusive and pushy calling someone and saying, "I'm coming over!" than I would knocking on the door and saying, "Hi.  I thought you might like some of these cookies I made."  

Dropping something off is different than stopping by and intending to "visit". Calling someone and saying "I'm coming over!" to use your phrasing, is equally as pushy and intrusive as ringing the doorbell and when it's answered saying "I'm here to visit you!" because in both cases to the person whose house it is: has no choice, they're just told it's happening. The call/text before isn't to announce you're coming, it's to say "hey I was thinking of stopping by, will you be around?" and gives the other person the chance to say "actually that's a bad time, how about <other time>". It doesn't mean you're never welcome. This is a considerateness thing. If you're dropping something off, you might only be there as long as it takes to say what the thing is and hand it over, and if it's a good time to hang, you get invited in, and if it's not, it's over in 30 seconds. So it's less crucial to give a heads up with a drop-off (although you still run the risk they might not be there and depending on what you're dropping, you might not want to just leave it). Still if you drop something off unannounced, you can manage that nice gesture of cookies, but also didn't force whatever else was going on (good, bad, calm, choatic, you don't know because you didn't talk to them before you got there) to stop to accommodate your presence. Even with family, sometimes more so, it puts the person immediately into hostmode by having guests. It's not the most horrible thing to do to a person by any means, but it's still not nice to make someone drop everything and entertain you ("entertain" in the sense of hosting, not like...tapdancing). Even if it's a 30 minute "visit", which is what seemed like happened on this show with the grandparents, it's still a moment of "whatever your plans were, they're this now". 

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 6
On 11/29/2016 at 3:02 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I really thought he should've taken William on the trip to get the tapes.  Why waste all that good father/son bonding time?  Of course, then they'd have had to find some way to make Randall's snooping happen with William right there.  

How did Randall get in William's apartment? Did he get the keys from his room?

2 hours ago, queenanne said:

I even used to get multiple "aural visits" by fat-fingered idiots who wanted the apartment below, atop, or to either side of me, and were too stupid to figure how to hit only one button);

Say, you wouldn't happen to be on the edge of divorce from a certain Governor of Illinois, would you?  How's that law practice going?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

8 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

To me, saying to someone, 'You should call first," is far, far ruder than not calling.  It's correcting someone else's manners (always bad) and it's saying that you aren't always happy to see them.  It's not like anyone's going to get caught in the middle of sex or a fight or something.  You always have the option of not answering the door if it's a really bad time.

Calling implies that if they don't answer or if they answer and say it's not a good time, you don't show up. I find it  hard to believe that if someone is offended by being asked to call, that they'd be OK with someone who's home not answering the door after they show up. I really don't understand why it's offensive to not be invited to drop in at any moment. I see asking someone to call as setting boundaries and calling first as respecting other people's time. And it's absolutely true that sometimes someone isn't welcome. It doesn't mean you don't love them. It means that you have other obligations and it's not always appropriate to interrupt what someone is doing.

What you say is what you want: "Hi, I'd like to drop off some cookies-- is this a good time? " or "We're going to see Hamilton later tonight, and were thinking of stopping by for a few minutes since your place is on the way and we haven't seen the grandkids in a while" (or whatever it is you're wanting to do). Then the other person can either ignore the call (which means either they are not home or they're busy and it's not a good time) or they can answer the call and tell you honestly what's what: "What time were you thinking of? The kids have a lot of homework and they need to be in bed by 8, but I think they can take a 20 minute break to see Grandma if you come early enough" Or "We'd love to see you but we have other obligations tonight, so next Tuesday would be better" or "Wow, thanks for the cookies! I'm in the middle of finishing a project on deadline, so if you'd like to stop and have coffee maybe we could do it tomorrow instead?" Or "I'm sorry, I have a migraine and I just can't handle company right now. I love you and will call when I feel better so we can plan something for soon."

• Love 6
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I find it  hard to believe that if someone is offended by being asked to call, that they'd be OK with someone who's home not answering the door after they show up.

How would they know you're home if you don't answer the door?  Even if they see your car out front, you could be in the shower, out for a jog, out with a friend, sound asleep, working out with head phones on, in bed with a migraine and ear plugs.  I'd rather no one answer the door than be patronized over the phone.  

On 11/30/2016 at 3:52 AM, SlackerInc said:

Yes, it was.  And it makes sense that it would take significantly longer on the bus vs. Randall's fancy car he paid cash for.

it makes total sense to me to go get a dying father's tapes if you would just be spending that time watching a silly movie.

Especially if it's a movie you've watched every year for the past 28 years or so.

I'm on two minds about the dropping by unnanounced: a good friend can drop by any time, they know I'm not a morning person, and they get it if I tell them it's not a good time, but most of the time I'm happy to see them. On the other hand, back when I was at university, my aunt dropped on me without warning on a Saturday (late) morning. I was in bed with my back then love of my life. I would not have answered the doorbell except that we had a code, so I knew it was her, and that she must have taken a train to get to mine, etc., so I opened, asked for a minute, told the dream boyfriend to wait, got into whatever clothes and out with my aunt. She never called up unannounced after that episode and, most surprisingly, boyfriend was still there warm in bed when I came back!   

• Love 1

I hate when people drop by unannounced. I'm very much an introvert, and I also like things planned instead of spontaneity, so at least if people call before coming over, that gives me a fairly decent amount of warning to prepare. I think there's only certain circumstances that I can take with people dropping in: if it's immediate family (in this case, just my parents or my sister); if it's a dire emergency situation; or if said person is a neighbour that needs to borrow something. And even so, I won't usually answer the door unless said person knocks or rings the doorbell more than once. People who are close to me know that I don't tend to answer unannounced guests on the first knock or ring because I don't know who it is, therefore I won't answer. Same with phone calls; if I don't recognize the number, I tend to not answer unless the person leaves a message and it's important or someone I do know, or if they call multiple times.

So for me, it's more considerate to quickly call or shoot a text to say "hey, I'm thinking of stopping by for x reason. Will you be home?" At least on the off chance that I don't answer and you decide to stop by, at least there was warning beforehand.  It's not a rude thing to call or text first. It just gives people a little notice, even if it's an awkward thirty second phone call or a two sentence text.  

• Love 1

I've become so interested in this that I went to "Miss Manner's" site and after failing to find the subject in her archives I entered a question about it.  It's unlikely that this will be something she answers, but I had to try.  I'm sure she'll agree that we shouldn't drop by without calling first, so my question was whether or not it was rude to tell people to call first.

Personally I don't drop in or call first because I was taught to wait for an invitation.  On the other hand, and this may be my mother's southern West Virginia roots, we were taught to greet unexpected visitors at the door as though the sight of them was the greatest thing that had ever happened to us in our entire lives.  We had to go nuts over any and all presents, too.

• Love 6
On 12/4/2016 at 10:11 AM, JudyObscure said:

Or they don't answer the phone and you think they aren't home. Then they don't get bothered at all.

My grandmother used to tell me it was extremely rude not to answer the phone. But if I don't recognize a number, I just let it ring. I hate having to be forced into a conversation if I'm busy or just not in the mood to talk. I'm kind of weird though.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Or they don't answer the phone and you think they aren't home. Then they don't get bothered at all.

My grandmother used to tell me it was extremely rude not to answer the phone. But if I don't recognize a number, I just let it ring. I hate having to be forced into a conversation if I'm busy or just not in the mood to talk. I'm kind of weird though.

I don't think that's weird at all! I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number - that's what voice mail is for.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think that's weird at all! I never answer my phone unless I recognize the number - that's what voice mail is for.

I also sometimes don't answer the phone even when I do recognize the number. Caller ID is a really great invention.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ah, Caller ID.  I haven't had a land line in like a decade.  ; )

Everyone I know still calls it that when it happens on their cell phones. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
On 12/4/2016 at 6:21 AM, JudyObscure said:

Right.  That's what I said.  She wasn't welcome to drop in.  Meaning she always had to call first.  I think it's always best to call first, but if someone doesn't do it, particularly my own mother, I wouldn't hint that she should have done it the way Randall did.  To me, saying to someone, 'You should call first," is far, far ruder than not calling.  It's correcting someone else's manners (always bad) and it's saying that you aren't always happy to see them.  It's not like anyone's going to get caught in the middle of sex or a fight or something.  You always have the option of not answering the door if it's a really bad time.

Honestly, the more I think about it, if I went to my son's house, and for some reason hadn't called first ( last minute impulse, no cell phone, whatever) and he or his wife said I should have called first  -- I would never go to their house again for any reason, not for Christmas, not for the kid's birthdays, nothing.

I get what you're saying but would you show up at your son's house unannounced with someone he's not 100% comfortable with? Yes, the kids call Miguel Grandpa, probably because it's easier to do but Randall doesn't think of him as a father and that doesn't mean it's appropriate for him to come by without calling. If my mother stops by with her husband (or even a friend who I'm not all that crazy about), it's not the same as if she stops by alone and doesn't call first.

Randall wasn't correcting his mother's manners. That comment was directed at Miguel, plus it slipped out and he corrected himself (albeit sarcastically). I don't think he would have said that if it was just Rebecca or if it was his parents who stopped by. And I really don't think that between both Rebecca and Miguel on the way to NYC from somewhere in Pennsylvania stopped in Jersey without a cell phone. 

I know everyone is different but if you stop by your son's house and can see that everyone's home but no one comes to the door or they look out and don't let you in, is that really less troubling than picking up a phone first so as to avoid such an awkward situation?  

I have a a very complicated relationship with my stepmom. Yes, still as an adult. It stems from how I was treated by her and my dad, the amazing difference in how I was treated versus my half siblings. And so on. All this has had a negative impact on me still now. Hell,so did my parent's divorce.  It's difficult. That impact doesn't diminish once you turn 18. Holding all those emotions in for me made it worse and led to some awful things. 

• Love 3

I just started watching this show about a week ago. I love it. I finished this episode tonight. 

I cant understand all the Miguel hate. Maybe I don't mind him because to me he is still Esposito from Castle. 

What ever happened to the cat?

• Love 2
On 12/28/2016 at 10:43 PM, nutty1 said:

Spoiler

William's landlord took him (it's explained in the next episode....not sure if you have seen it yet and, if not, I don't want to spoil anything)

Edited by photo fox
hid spoiler
10 hours ago, nutty1 said:

I just started watching this show about a week ago. I love it. I finished this episode tonight. 

I cant understand all the Miguel hate. Maybe I don't mind him because to me he is still Esposito from Castle. 

I don't hate Miguel.  I think people mostly hated him for asking to wear the hat?  I didn't care but then again I didn't think the whole Pilgrim Rick thing was endearing or special, just stupid.  Maybe I'd feel differently about Miguel if my heart wasn't too sizes too small for sentimental schmaltz.  

On 11/22/2016 at 10:59 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I just realized that when Kate said that she had bought two plane tickets, she may have been referring to Toby's unused ticket.  Otherwise, she was not planning to sit next to him.  I hope she offered to reimburse him for the cancelled ticket!

I believe she said that her mother was American.

I don't think she was planning to sit next to him.  They would never have been able to fit with one of them in a middle seat.  I know this because at one time I was close to needing a seat extender.  A full plane was a nightmare.  Those seats are not very wide.

• Love 1

I was so worried Randall wouldn't have a cassette player in his fancy house. Like Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone ep without his glasses. It bothered me the rest of the episode. Along with Miguel and Olivia. Catching up on Hulu.....

• Love 2
On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Empress1 said:

I'm from Philly too and I used to have a friend who lived across the country who would spell it "Phillie." She was like "Couldn't you spell it either way?" Me: " ... No."

Everything about Randall’s wake-up Thanksgiving montage was gold. I loved his dancing, I love the detail that Beth wraps her head for bed, I loved that William looked like “What in THE hell is going on?” when Randall woke him up, I loved when he called his daughters “little turkey and medium turkey.” I loved it all.

I fast-forwarded through all Olivia’s scenes except the one with William, because I love William. Don’t like her, don’t care.

Totally agree that Miguel had no business asking to wear the hat. That’s a very specific tradition that should be preserved. I was pissed when he asked and pissed when Kevin acquiesced.

Why would they take William on a 3.4 mile hike though? And I’m livid at Rebecca’s parents for leaving Randall out of photos, and at Rebecca for not doing anything about it for eight years. Rebecca should have checked them on that IMMEDIATELY, and it should have been a deal-breaker – “you include my son in all the photos or we don’t come back.”

My heart broke for Randall when the truth came out. Every single time he asked his mother about his birth father, she lied to his face. That's horrible. And now Thanksgiving will be the holiday where this horrible secret came out.

Oh my God that was so unacceptable to cut that poor boy out of the pictures.  I get the feeling R's mother only likes to display pictures of her white grandchildren.  There is no way I would put up with that bullshit for one hot second.

Also, it's not just Randall...all the kids hated Thanksgiving at the grandmother's house...she must have been horrible.

• Love 2