Type keyword(s) to search

Welcome To Sweetie Pie's - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I feel horribly for the family for losing Andre and so many others in their family. He seemed like he was getting his life back on the right track. It's sad that he was taken before he had a chance to start his life.

I like Chef Clark. I think the St. Louis crew can benefit from her being there. They lack professionalism. The constant arguing and inappropriate behavior is ridiculous. 

Tim really needs to stop opening new restaurants without consulting his mother.

• Love 4

I resumed watching this show after a long absence purely to get a good look at Jennifer. I've had a girl crush on her since "Basketball Wives Miami." I just love her personality & the way she puts herself together---hair, makeup, clothes. I'm not thrilled she's dating Tim, though....

Anybody watching this?

This opening episode for the new season was all over the place and left so many questions unanswered. I could care less about Charles dreams and his random LA friends. Go away, Charles. 

Tim has packed on a ton of weight! He seems to be very unhappy. Is he living in TX now? So many things were not explained. Miss Robbie just showing up and Tim not being there, and taking his time about getting back to the restaurant was so producer manipulated and fake. I would like to know, however, what is really going on between those two. Who won the lawsuit? Was it dropped? Is Tim on his own now without the Sweetie Pie franchise? Why did he close so many of the restaurants?  Isn't Robbie pushing 80 years old? She should be retired and enjoying life. Actually, she did appear to me to be over the whole thing. She does look fantastic, though, with her pantsuit and heels and new teeth! I know, I know, too many questions but like I said this episode sucked as far as updating us and picking up where last season left off. 

• Love 1

I watched this episode and was just as confused about what the storyline was.  I'm not understanding the closing of so many of the St Louis restaurants.  Please let Charles out of the restaurant business and set him free to find another job where he can do nothing.  Miss Robbie and her sisters all looked well.  It's hard to understand the relationship between Tim and Miss Robbie but family dynamics can be strained when finances are involved.  

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 8:42 PM, Willowsmom said:

This show works best when everyone is in one city. we cannot get the interactions with everyone spread everywhere.

Tim and Robbie not speaking isn't working at all. 

Why does Miss Robbie act like being retired means she has to babysit her grandson all the time? She has enough money to do any damn thing she wants to do. She will never retire because she's a control freak about her restaurants and won't ever completely give up that control. 

• Love 2

One thing I like about Miss Robbie is her willingness to call out her staff on keeping the restaurant kitchen clean.  It only takes her a few seconds to notice when something isn't up to par and point someone in the right direction.  You always wonder what happens in the kitchen.

• Love 1

What was that Ms. Robbie said about expecting a new grandchild?!? Who's pregnant?

It was sad watching Jennifer pick out rings & cajole Tim to go house hunting, etc., knowing what's in their future: restraining orders, lawsuits, stalking...

Oh! Ok, thanks! I didn't know any of this; I've missed several episodes & just caught this one because Jennifer was featured heavily. I always like to see her hair & makeup & clothes.

I'm thrilled Janae has moved on. Did they show her husband at all? I hope he treats her better than Tim did. I pray she has a healthy pregnancy this time. It was soo sad & scary when TJ was born premature...

I was a huge fan of this show and probably watched all the episodes.  This news about Tim is so shocking to me.  Granted, we know he's been in trouble with the law in the past and served a prison term, but murder of his own relative for insurance money?  With all the ups and downs the matriarch Robby has been through over the years with family and business problems, now she has to live with knowing her son killed a family member.  My heart goes out to her and her family. 

I wonder how the restaurants are doing these days.  The two they opened in the L.A. area, one in Inglewood and one in North Hollywood, didn't last very long.

• Love 4

Not only did Tim take out life insurance on his nephew & have him killed to collect--- he took out $1million life insurance on his mother, Ms. Robbie, too!

This gossip site straight up clowned Tim about his physique. Normally, I wouldn't be in favor of that, but considering how straight up evil he is--- I laughed & I laughed! Some info about his ex-girlfriend Basketball Wives Jennifer Williams. It's messy. But, she tried to us he was crazy!

• Love 1

Hard to listen to this whole thing, because it's waay too long. Although, in fairness the events occur over a period of years. Give it 20-25 minutes. I also don't entirely agree with all of the blogger's analysis of events. Take what she says & take what I say with a grain of salt; make up your own mind.

But, basically Miss Robbie's home got robbed of ~$250,000 cash & jewelry while she was on vacation. (Sounds crazy, but reminds me of her contemporary the late Ms. Aretha Franklin who famously insisted on being paid in cash.) Ms. Robbie told police she thought it was an inside job. She lives in a gated community & has ADT or something similar security. Family whispered that it was the nephew. When questioned by police, the nephew pointed blame at the son Norman. Reminder that Ms. Robbie was suing Norman for his use of her business name. Nephew was killed 4 days after he pointed the finger at Norman. Norman took out, or attempted to take out various life insurance policies on the nephew a year prior to the nephew pointing the finger at Norman, but if I'm understanding the time frame correctly it was only shortly before the burglary. I *think* they were both involved in the burglary & Norman took out the life insurance in case nephew snitched. & when he did, Norman tried to cash in. If it was a movie plot, I wouldn't believe it!

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Useful 1

This is so very sad.  Ms. Robbie gave that POS every opportunity to make something of himself after his time in prison. Did he have any idea how lucky he was? Most ex-cons can't even find a job, let alone being invited in to the successful family business.   

On 8/20/2020 at 1:39 PM, Annifran said:

The two they opened in the L.A. area, one in Inglewood and one in North Hollywood, didn't last very long.

That's because Tim opened and was in charge of those. He just had to get to California. Against Ms. Robbies wishes. 

• Love 2

Fourth person charged in murder-for-hire case linked to Sweetie Pie’s family

Travell Anthony Hill was charged by complaint in U.S. District Court in St. Louis on Nov. 3 with conspiracy to commit murder-for-hire and arrested three days later. He has now been indicted on that charge, prosecutors said Thursday.

Prosecutors say Hill participated in the conspiracy to kill Montgomery in St. Louis in 2016, but they did not reveal his role other than to say another defendant tipped Hill to Montgomery's location before he was shot. They also said in court documents that two days after the shooting Hill was paid $5,000 and "laughed about it … with his brother on recorded jail phone calls."

• Useful 2

This video breaks down the 28 page document of charges against Norman & the others. So, they attempted to take out 5 different life insurance policies on the nephew. Not only was some of the information (height, weight, income, net worth--- the nephew's contact number was Norman's phone) factually incorrect, some of the information varied from policy to policy. I mean, if you're going to lie, at least keep your lies straight. The text messages are lengthy & damning. Norman was clearly plotting his nephew's death for at least 1 & 1/2 years. Texting things like: he's not going to be around for much longer. And the receipts just go on & on from there. Norman's due back in court December 2. It will be interesting to hear what his plea is because this case seems like a lock.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Reportedly, Tim has "fired" his lawyer & is representing himself.

(☝🏾 Just a second. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Whew! Ok. I'm back.)

If I can find the link to the YouTube video that is reading the court transcripts pertaining to this, I will post it. Hm... I guess Ms. Robie's not "standing by her son" that much, huh?

Here it is:

He filed the "pro se" April 25, 2022.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 2
(edited)

When you're arrested for hiring a murder, plotted for a long time for the multiple insurance policies to be in place, and then have federal charges, you're not getting bail.     I bet he wants Pro Se to get access to all of the information the prosecution has, unfortunately, that will probably have the names of witnesses against him.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

The shooter pleads guilty.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/shooter-who-killed-sweetie-pies-reality-tv-star-pleads-guilty-implicates-others/article_35959273-4dc9-5810-85ad-d17c7977d692.html

TOP STORY

Shooter who killed Sweetie Pie's reality TV star pleads guilty, implicates others

Andre Montgomery Jr.

Andre Montgomery Jr., grandson of Sweetie Pie's owner Robbie Montgomery, is seen on March 25, 2012, when Oprah Winfrey made a trip to St. Louis to surprise the cast of OWN's "Welcome to Sweetie Pie's" series. (George Burns, Harpo Productions)

ST. LOUIS — A St. Louis man pleaded guilty Friday to murdering a former local reality TV show star for pay, while implicating others in the high-profile crime.

Travell Anthony Hill, 30, was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder-for-hire and a separate count of murder-for-hire Friday in the March 2016 killing of 21-year-old Andre Montgomery Jr.

Montgomery was a former star on “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s,” an OWN reality show about a soul food business founded by his grandmother, Robbie Montgomery, in the St. Louis area.

Jail mug shot of Travell Anthony Hill.

Hill’s sentencing is scheduled for September, but both counts carry a mandatory life sentence in prison, U.S. District Judge John A. Ross said at the plea hearing Friday.

In Hill’s plea agreement Friday, he admitted to shooting and killing Montgomery in exchange for $5,000 two days after the death. According to an indictment, he was recorded discussing it with his brother on calls from jail.

Hill’s plea agreement also implicated two of the three other people also charged in the murder-for-hire plot that, according to prosecutors, involved life insurance policies, burner phones and payouts.

Hill said in his plea agreement that the victim’s uncle, James “Tim” Norman, another star of the TV show, hired Hill because “he wanted Montgomery dead.”

Hill also stated in his plea that a woman, Terica Ellis, was also part of the plot and was hired by Norman to lure Montgomery outside and tell Hill where he was before the shooting in the 3900 block of Natural Bridge Drive. Police in earlier hearings testified that Ellis, an exotic dancer who was working in Memphis at the time, had a previous romantic relationship with Norman.

Linda Tatum, of St. Louis, left, picks up some to-go food from Sweetie Pies' owner Robbie Montgomery, center, and Montgomery's son James Timothy "Tim" Norman, right, at Sweetie Pies location on Manchester Road in St. Louis on Tuesday, April 19, 2011. James Timothy Norman was arrested and accused of facilitating a murder-for-hire plot against his nephew in an attempt to collect the nephew's life insurance money. It was announced in April of 2011 that Sweetie Pie's, in St. Louis, will be the subject of a new series on OWN, Oprah Winfrey Network. (David Carson, dcarson@post-dispatch.com)

Norman and Ellis are facing conspiracy to commit murder charges with a trial set for September. Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty in the case.

Norman is also accused in an indictment of attempting to cash in on $450,000 in life insurance policies he took out on his nephew with the help of an insurance agent, Waiel Rebhi Yaghnam, before the killing.

Norman and Yaghnam are also charged with wire and mail fraud. Yaghnam also faces counts for aggravated identity theft.

A break-in case

A burglary at the home of family matriarch Robbie Montgomery caused family turmoil in the months before the killing, police records obtained in 2020 by the Post-Dispatch showed.

Sweetie Pie’s owner Robbie Montgomery, the grandmother of shooting victim Andre and Norman’s mother, reported a burglary at her north St. Louis County home while she was on vacation in June 2015. At least $220,000 worth of cash, jewelry and other items were stolen, according to police records.

Robbie Montgomery is a former Ikette. She sang with the Ike and Tina Turner Review. She founded Sweetie Pies' soul food restaurants. MONDAY APRIL 3, 2006 -- AMANDA WHITLOCK POST-DISPATCH

Amanda Whitlock

The police documents stated that officers initially investigated Andre Montgomery in the burglary, but after more than nine months out of town, he met with officers and took a polygraph test in March 2016. At that time, he denied being involved in the theft and told police he thought his uncle, Norman, was behind it.

Andre Montgomery explained that he left town to be with a girl and told officers his grandmother was trying to remove Norman from some Sweetie Pie’s business ventures, according to police accounts.

Four days later, Andre Montgomery was killed.

Investigators never closed the burglary case.

Andre Montgomery joined “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s,” which ran for five seasons on OWN, around 2011 after he came to live with his grandmother, Robbie. His father was killed in a 1995 stabbing, so Andre Montgomery grew up in Lubbock, Texas, with his mother and would spend summers in St. Louis with his grandmother. He moved into Robbie Montgomery’s basement full time around 2010.

Andre Montgomery was a paid cast member of “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s” until 2013, appearing in a chicken costume in scenes promoting the family restaurant, pursuing a rap career and depicted graduating from McCluer North High School.

Federal prosecutors wrote in an indictment that Norman took out $450,000 in life insurance policies on his nephew a year before the burglary, making himself the sole beneficiary.

Ellis, the co-defendant accused of luring Andre Montgomery to the scene of the killing, used to work at the Bottoms Up club in the Metro East where she met Norman, St. Louis police Detective Donald Thurmond testified at a Tennessee court hearing earlier this month.

Police believed then that Norman promised to pay her $10,000, Thurmond testified.

Federal charging documents say in the days after the shooting Ellis deposited more than $9,000 in cash into several bank accounts.

Thurmond testified Ellis told police the burglary at Robbie Montgomery’s home had made Norman’s “boys” want to “get up on” his nephew.

Norman is also accused of trying to collect on his nephew’s life insurance policies but was never able to get the money, according to an indictment.

Yaghnam is accused of providing false information on the life insurance policies, including information about Andre Montgomery’s income. Yaghnam worked in life insurance after a career in the music industry that included producing rapper Nelly’s hit 2002 album “Nellyville.”

After the charges, TV clips from “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s” circulated showing Norman mourning the death he is now accused of setting up.

Norman visited the scene of the killing with his mother and TV cameras in a 2016 episode.

“Since Andre’s passing I haven’t gone through this part of the city,” Norman said on the show. “Really, I’ve been avoiding it.”

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Sad 2
(edited)

Tim has an appeal. He's being represented by an attorney who has worked for Bill Cosby and R. Kelly--- mega bucks. I can only assume Miss Robie is paying for it.

If you read through the comments, there is some speculation that Miss Robie was involved in the luring of Andre back to the scene which he had previously fled due to fear of harm from Tim.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Useful 1