Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Chapter 10

• Start Topic

After what happened to them, you're telling me the real Shelby, Matt, and Lee also went to fucking Paleyfest?!

Next week, The Property Brothers shoot an episode in Roanoke.

Stop.Going.To.That.House

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 20

Color me underwhelmed.....did we even find out who shot the Polk during the interview?  Was it just the cops?

Just don't buy that the show was such a 'phenomenon'.  It certainly wasn't from my viewpoint.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 14

Homer: Well, we didn't get any money, but the Roanoke Colony got what they wanted. Marge ... Is this a happy ending or a sad ending? Marge: It's an ending, that's enough!

So the real "ghosts" were shown killing most of the people in the lost footage. Why no mention of a search for them? All about Lee.

Am I supposed to care that Priscilla now has a mother to look after her?

• Love 14

Wow.  This may have just jumped up to my all time favorite.  I loved what the finale did with all the reality tv take offs.  I occasionally watch "Snapped" so I love the idea of a show like Crack'd and then the Ghost Hunters take off was just plain hilarious.  Most of all I just adored The Lana Winters Special.   I loved how Lana and Lee were compared because they do have similar personalities.  

The ending having Lee stay with Pricilla so Flora will leave and have a real life I am not sure I actually like but it does seem like it fits with the story.  Flora hates her mother and feels Pricilla is her only friend and place she has but finally her mother gives her another option.  It makes sense I just don't like it.

Other then that I loved this installment.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 13

Greatest. Season. Ever.

When Lot Polk shot up the Lana Winters interview, I was afraid he killed her after he bashed her in the head with the gun.

Is the implication of the ending that it's the ghost of the house that comes back during the Blood Moon? Because that thing was completely gone after that explosion.

• Love 6

Unexpected end. I thought Lee would go prison. Instead she sacrifices herself to save Flora and give her a a chance at a normal life. I am glad that Priscilla will no longer be in danger, scared, and alone. Lee is vicious and will protect her from the Butchers and the others.

The Chasers were so ridiculous going back to the house after all those murders. It cracked me how how the guy said Chasers don't run and then was running for his life.

I wonder if the spirits will kill all those cops and firefighters.

I don't watch or like reality shows, but I liked this format. This has been one of the best seasons, IMO.

• Love 7

I liked it...I liked the whole season, my favorite since Murder House. I guess the end message was do you love your child enough to die for her, and Lee did. 

Of course it wasn't perfect. They never said anything on the TV shows about all the people who died in the second season of the show. And Lee went back to that house alone. Didn't she learn the other two times she was there during the red moon what was going to happen? 

• Love 7

Well at least the house was burned down and they did put up a fence initially to keep people out but obviously the land is still haunted and judging by all those torches moving towards those poor cops and news reporters they're about to get slaughtered. Which is sad because they were only there trying to get that poor girl and they're all going to die because of her while Flora and the cop driving her seem like the only ones who will get away.

I kinda hope all the other ghosts of Mason, Shelby, Matt, Audrey, Rory, Monet, etc. haunt the hell out of Lee. 

Overall I loved the season just like with S2 but both finales were anticlimactic for me. All the good twists happened in the previous episodes so that the endings feel ehkay in comparison. 

So the only actor left was Denis O'Hare's who 'was asked back but declined'. 

• Love 8

It was weird to see all the clips in the fake show Cracked.  It kept jumping around.

I loved that the guy who played Cricket acted like Cricket's powers transferred to him.
Everyone was delusional.  The ghost hunters were morons.

Overall, the finale felt kind of lackluster. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, morgankobi said:

Stop.Going.To.That.House

So say we all!!

The Spirit Chasers reminded me of the Ghost Adventures guys (and how I'm kinda convinced about how they'll end up one day)

but to be honest, I was way more scared watching the last episode compared to tonight's

But I do agree that Roanoke was the best series since Murder House. I hope they keep the show tight with just 10 episodes from now on.

• Love 12

I thought the season started well but fell apart towards the end which happens a lot on AHS lol.  The only difference was I actually cared more about the characters in other seasons. I honestly rooted for most of them to be killed.

I hope to never hear Sarah do what she considers to be a English accent ever again lol.

If Lily is back next season I would like to enjoy her character.

Evan and Denis were a few of the best things about HOTEL so hopefully S7 has more of them.

• Love 5

Sorry, this is one season I have no desire to rewatch. Nope.
Hi Lana, nice to see you again! I may be misremembering, but didn't they make Paulson look a little older as Lana the famous interviewer in Asylum?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 7

Evan and Denis were a few of the best things about HOTEL so hopefully S7 has more of them.

Isn't that the truth?  Liz Taylor was amazing but Denis's character was almost nothing in this one.  One thing I liked about the other seasons were some of the character backstories which were missed this season.

• Love 6

i liked this season but I didn't like this. Eh. Also Lee telling Flora she can come back to haunted house of dead parents, aunts and uncles (both faux and real) and ghost besties is hilarious. I doubt no matter what color the damn moon is Grandma and Granpa are not letting that happen. Ever. Unless The Grandparents are insane or it's the plot from that movie The Visit. 

Yeah.. underwhelming. Just a little. Also no word on hot uber guy? Shame.

• Love 10

I have to say I was surprised when crazy Polk brother came in shooting up the place. I had totally blocked him from my mind that he'd do something like that even though we did see him talking to the camera getting all revenge-y.  I just didn't want him to shoot Lana.
My season rankings:

Asylum, Murder House, Freak Show, Coven, Hotel, Roanoke.

I wasn't a big fan of Hotel, but at least it had some great characters like Mr.March and Mrs. Evers.

I just didn't care about anybody or connect with someone this season and at least I did with every other season.

• Love 2

I liked it up til the last ten minutes. I just don't get why the ending switched back to the style of a "regular" scripted tv show, instead of a reality/found footage show. It was completely out of place with every other scene of the entire season. I kept expecting there to be some kind of twist to explain why we were seeing scenes that no one was filming.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rustyspigot said:
1 hour ago, TobinAlbers said:

So the only actor left was Denis O'Hare's who 'was asked back but declined'. 

And he has an email trail to prove it! Uber driver and Gaga I guess survived as well.

Yeah, why wasn't Gaga asked back as well? Strange that there was no mention of her.

1 hour ago, Valny said:

Hi Lana, nice to see you again! I may be misremembering, but didn't they make Paulson look a little older as Lana the famous interviewer in Asylum?

I think she did have better age make-up in her original season, she in no way looked old enough to have been someone who would have to be in her seventies today. Strangely, they seem to have tried to make up for it by having her voice sound like someone in their late eighties.

29 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Did they ever clear up what happened to Lee's other daughter?

I was actually hopefully thinking that that would finally be addressed when I was watching the trial bit, I had forgotten all about that and remembered it when they were doing her "backstory", however it seems to have been just an empty red herring.

• Love 5

I hated that finale episode. It was all choppy and kept jumping around between various reality shows and reality.

Hopefully this format was a one-season novelty and we'll get back to an actual, fluid storyline next season.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I liked it up til the last ten minutes. I just don't get why the ending switched back to the style of a "regular" scripted tv show, instead of a reality/found footage show. It was completely out of place with every other scene of the entire season. I kept expecting there to be some kind of twist to explain why we were seeing scenes that no one was filming.

Yeah. It would have been interesting if the last minutes were of a news program reporting on a fire at the haunted mansion. Even have multiple stations covering it to get different viewpoints and showing us different pieces, like telling us something like "the car that is sitting here is registered in Lees name" and then showing us Flora getting out safety and we can all just come to the conclusion of what happened. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Tony said:

I hated that finale episode. It was all choppy and kept jumping around between various reality shows and reality.

Hopefully this format was a one-season novelty and we'll get back to an actual, fluid storyline next season.

This season has me convinced more now than ever that Ryan Murphy is an evil genie who only "sort of" gives you what you want.

Smaller cast, a return to what made the show great in S1 and then a whole bunch of other junk that didn't really do much good.

I was completely dissatisfied with the ending. Maybe it would have been better if they spent more time driving home that Lee had already lost another child and was determined not to lose a second one. They mentioned it in the tv recreation but Lana could have brought it up again at the interview because the entire time she was there with Flora I was thinking

1. You shouldn't have gone alone and

2. Pick up that child and drag her out.

It's was like when your kid is going into convulsions on the floor of a store because they can't have their favorite toy only you kill yourself and promise to stay with the toy so they stop having fitz and go home.

As for why Lee appeared as a ghost at the end and the others didn't, besides a brief appearance by Mason, I'm going to fanwank that because she ate the heart she was a bit different. Furthermore, the ghosts didn't try to go after Lee but they went after the rest of the crew which just makes me think at that point she was different than everyone else who died.

Also, once again, Lee, your child needs a lot of therapy. She literally let you kill yourself to watch over a ghost child in the woods for all of eternity. 

Finally the real winner for me this season was: Adele Porter who came out of nowhere and dominated the show in a wonderful way.

• Love 14

Loved the series, but it climaxed a few episodes ago when half the cast died in one episode. Everything afterwards was a long, mostly boring let down. Did not care about Flora or any of the fauna. Even Leslie Jordan wasn't quite as fabulous this time around.

My ranking starting with the best: Coven, Hotel, Roanoke, Asylum, Murder House, Freak Show. And yes, I realize how much that goes against the grain. Other seasons may be great, like Asylum, but I just can't enjoy the show as much. Roanoke might have scored a little higher had it not been so gory.

• Love 5

Snookums pretty much summed it up for me.  This season was a like a novel that held your interest because you wanted to know how the author would wrap things up.  And he/she didn't.

I liked the way the script played with real and recreated events over and over.  We kept saying "But he's dead! (oh...wait...)".  But Priscilla was a minor character, and not a satisfying plot device - certainly not worth the so-called resolution in the last few minutes of this ep.

I still love AHS and await each season with anticipation of some damn good fun.

(Hey - what DID happen to Gaga?)

• Love 7

I loved the season because it felt coherent, plot-wise, and like they had enough story to fill the seasons. This finale felt the opposite, a bit too many references for me. Still, this is one of my favorite seasons, and I love the actress who plays Lee. 

• Love 8

I had the complete opposite reaction to some others - I felt the season was headed nowhere, we were just watching people get killed for the sake of getting killed (like in any slasher film) and the finale actually provided me with a compelling narrative to remember the season by. This truly was Lee's story, and it made a lot of sense with what we've seen. 

I don't care about unanswered questions at all. If RM tried to tie up every loose end every season, the finales would just be hour-long exposition parties. I'm fine with getting emotional closure and having some blanks that I can fill in myself. And not every storyline needs to have an ending. Scathach has been around for hundreds of years - she'll still be out there, doing her thing. I don't need to know more than that.  

Also, good job keeping Trixie Mattel's cameo under wraps. I've been keeping myself updated on the rumors, and that never even popped up on the radar.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, prospazzinator said:

That was a letdown of an ending. I might have felt better about if I cared at all about Priscilla.

I feel the same way. I've enjoyed this season so much, I didn't think it had any of those lows that I usually associate with AHS. Sadly, the finale was it for me. Felt like a real anti-climax. :(

Edited by ciprus
  • Love 4

Lee's first daughter. Tell what happened to her or drop the idea but I was waiting right up to the end for some resolution on that.

I just figured she was kidnapped and killed.  That was one loose end I didn't need tied up, because I viewed it more as just a driver for Lee.  She will do anything (no matter how crazy it may seem to a third party) that she believes will protect Flora, because she was not able to protect her first daughter. 

• Love 5

My take on the finale: 

This season was my absolute favorite. I have binged watched just about all the show references in this season and it was spot on every time. The re-enactment show ala A Haunting; the reality show ala Big Brother; The found footage movies ala Blair Witch; the news scoop; the Youtube videos; the documentary show ala Snapped and then the Talk Show Specials ala Oprah. And then the Ghost Hunter show ala Ghost Adventures. I loved it all.

However, it did make me cry when Lee gave her life to save her daughter. it was so sad.

Now for the finale...

COMIC CON/PALEYFEST:  Seeing the cast of My Roanoke Nightmare on a panel and explaining their plans to do Roanoke 2 with the cast and the actual family in a Big Brother type setting.  It was interesting how they were all so excited to do the sequel; not knowing that would be their last gig as living beings.  I also liked that they did a crossover to WOW Presents where Trixie Mattel & Edward Hansen appear on the stage.  They were the couple who reviewed AHS: Hotel last season

SOCIAL MEDIA/YOUTUBE:  I liked that they showed the superfan’s reaction to the death of all the cast and that she was totally unsure if the cast was really dead or if any of it was real.  The youtube rant of the last Polk brother was spot on to several rants on youtube.  Some say the police would have caught that but there are people putting their crimes on youtube which also goes unnoticed by the police such as the Orlando night club shooter’s rants that also went unnoticed until he actually killed those people.  As for how the Polk brother got on social media, his brother said it best “This is AMERICA!! We have TV!!”  They knew how to handle camera equipment so they would’ve had no problem posting videos on youtube.

NEWS COURT FOOTAGE: Lee being acquitted of all charges once the footage was introduced and everyone could see that the murders she committed were purely for self defense and that she was under the influence of the Polk drug

SNAPPED/CRACK'D: The history of Lee that led up to her killing her ex husband and her love for her daughter along with the acquittal of her trial for murder regarding her husband

THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW/LANA WILLIAMS:  That interview was a thinly disguised probe to find out where Lee allegedly hid Flora.  I believe the police was listening in from another room to see if Lee would tell them where she might've hid Flora (ie the mother who hid her two kids from her husband and is now in an asylum)

Some were wondering how the Polk brother knew to go to that interview.  All he had to do was stalk Lee and find just the right time to go after her.  An interview in a public hotel is the best place to do that.  There was no way he would know the police would also be there nor would the police even consider any of the Polks traveling so far to go after the “most reviled person on TV”

GHOST ADVENTURES/SPIRIT CHASERS:  This is exactly what the “investigators” do on these shows.  Usually, they seek permission to film in the haunted places but a few will break into these buildings to get sensational footage.  I always wondered what would happen if any of these “investigators” actually witnessed serious poltergeist activity, what would they really do?  Well, we found out, didn’t we?

What I did notice is the three days of the Blood moon, the ghosts can kill you but you can yell CROATOAN only when the moon has not yet turned completely red.  They were in the house on that vicious third day so no incantation would have worked.  I liked that they brought the guy who played Cricket, back and he did his thing ala “Most Haunted

As for Lee, I believe that the loss of her first daughter, Emily, was so devastating to her that she could not bear to lose Flora.  That was the point in mentioning Emily as that case was never solved.  So faced with the possibility of never seeing her only remaining daughter, she killed Mason who appeared to be a bit abusive to her.  Faced with either living with the fact that she was never going to win custody of Flora from Mason’s parents nor would she even be allowed to as much as see her, she had to make a decision.  Flora was prepared to take her own life to be with the only person who she felt safe with and there was no going back for Lee.  She probably knew the police would assume she kidnapped Flora and she would serve jail time and Flora, who had witnessed Lee killing her father would never accept her so she sacrificed herself to be with at least on child who she could love and protect in order to keep Flora alive and with Lee out of the picture, Flora could lead a normal scandal free life.  It appeared that Flora and Priscilla planned to burn down the house to end the madness.  So now I wonder if the ghosts were now roaming around in the tunnel or out in the open during the blood moon?

As for the ending when the colonists came with their torches.  Some of the media and police (all of them?) probably perished.

Edited by Aging Goth
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

This. The last parts with Lee and Flora and then the police were the only that don't have any source at all. Everything else since the beginning was either the filmed tv show, actual interviews, or found footage (disregarding a few troublesome angles from the Polk Farm). They literally went with that concept for 10, hour long shows, and then said "screw it" the last 10 minutes.

OK.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

I liked this season. Probably my second favorite season, although I do agree that I really didn't care about any of these characters - and to put all that stock in Priscilla...nah. That beings said:

• Did you catch the Spirit Busters or whatever they were called say "I haven't been in anyplace this creepy since that Asylum!" (I smell a tie-in to a future season there!)
  • I think Flora will be in a future season...maybe as an adult...maybe visiting the Roanoke house and her ghost mom and Priscilla???
  • And why in the earlier part of the show did they say Lee was accused of killing 3 people? Why only 3? Was it because those were the only 3 on tape? 
  • I thought it a bit crazy that in the remote at the end of recovering Lana Winters, a mature woman who took a heavy-duty bonk over the head with an assault rifle would not even have a scratch or a bruise? My son actually came in from the other room because that hit with the rifle was so hard/loud and said, "Man, she got it, didn't she?"
  • And the English woman who adored Lee and had the drawing of she & Flora & the flowers...talk about a BAD accent?  Maybe that's a Ryan Murphy trademark??

Okay, I think that is it for now.

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 3

This was one of my fave seasons too, tho I know a lot hated it. The formats of the reality shows amused and intrigued me, tho others found it offputting or dull, I guess. I mostly loved it.

I would like to have had some unresolved questions answered as well. After all the footage, of Rory and Dominic and the Instagram kids being brutally murdered by SOMEONE/SOMETHING, there was only talk of Lee killing the Polks and Monet, etc? Who do the authorities, and the world at large, believe actually killed all those people?

How does 86 year old or whatever Lana look about 60? Is she part alien?

Loved the Paleyfest stuff, and the rabidity of the fans.

Poor Cricket.

• Love 5

The guy who played Cricket was much like the psychic Derek Acorah who was caught faking his psychic ability by someone who fed him erroneous information about a haunted property and he claimed to actually sense the made up ghost in what ended up being a not-haunted house.  It pretty much nearly cancelled Most Haunted which relied heavily on his sightings.  When the Spirit Hunters where going around with the guy and he was acting like he was picking up on things, Derek immediately came to mind.

• Love 1

I think the moral of the story is that the true horror is Americans' obsession with absorbing every gory detail, which for some crosses into their own quest for fame--everyone wants to capitalize on Roanoke to be Internet famous or to get ratings for their own shows. Hmm. I think Ryan Murphy just trolled us. Haha, got you all to watch American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson because all these years later you punks STILL can't get enough--and it was the ultimate cross-over special, starring Sarah and Cuba. 

• Love 7

A good finale.

Loved the return of Lana Winters and I'm glad she didn't get killed off too. Some tense scenes with her and Lee as well.

Lee's sacrifice so that Flora would leave the house was a good way of ending the season. Lee wasn't an evil person but she definitely went too far to protect her own kid though.

Nice mashup of various shows within this episode as well.

The cast at Paleyfest to open the episode was a nice touch too. 7/10

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ciprus said:

I feel the same way. I've enjoyed this season so much, I didn't think it had any of those lows that I usually associate with AHS. Sadly, the finale was it for me. Felt like a real anti-climax. :(

As do I.  Murphy seems to be like an Olympic gumnast -- has a great routine, but can't stick the landing to save his life.

Sure -- OJ was awesome -- but he kinda already had an ending.  Same with the upcoming American Feud thing...we kinda know how the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford thing turned out...so he has his ending all done.

But left to his own devices..the ending just doesn't seem like something he's been able to creatively pull off.

• Love 12

I liked it.  I think Game of Thrones, for example, is very smart to run their huge set-piece dramatic episode next-to-last and then have a calmer final episode where we kind of wrap things up and see where everyone stands as we head into the long hiatus.

I don't remember Ryan Murphy ever being so thoughtful as to provide us with an hour-long epilogue-ish episode.  We got to see almost everyone from the season and say hi.  (Gaga and Frances Conroy must've been otherwise engaged.)  (Oh, and Chaz!)

I'm thinking the young Priscilla actress may have turned out to be, uh, less than phenomenal, because her character was definitely critical to the ending and we should have been more invested in her winding up with a companion/champion/mommy.  It was reminiscent of Dark Water, which is one of my favorite "psychological" spooky stories.  I'll tune into the last fifteen minutes, every time, to treat myself to a cleansing snuffle.

Yes, the hostage negotiation team and the Breaking News reporters are about to be toast.  I'm sure the local authorities had arranged to be "otherwise occupied" that night.  Heh.

Detail, but I thought the house lasting as long as it did seemed a little questionable.  It was the structure that drew everyone to the location, but The Butcher and her team weren't hanging out there, putting their feet up in the drawing room.  You'd think THEY would've torched the place a couple hundred years ago and they could've just flitted around the woods forever, like Bigfoot.

Oh wait, I forgot there was something in there about "sanctifying the ground with blood."  So I guess they did need occupant turnover.  But weren't they eternally bitching about "this int YOUR land, this be OUR land"?  And why would the Polks want to . . .

Oh well.  Never mind.  : )

• Love 4

I respect the ambition of this season's concept, and it was well constructed... I just really did not like it.  At the end of the day, I don't enjoy watching any of these types of reality shows, and I didn't enjoy watching AHS emulate the formats.  I thought Chapters 6 - 9 were the best, I didn't mind that so much... but the other 6 episodes of the season, I really was forcing myself through.  It felt like doing homework.

This, along with Hotel, would be my two least favorite seasons.  It's interesting, what ruined Hotel for me was it's complete lack of structure, so many different ideas thrown together in such haphazard fashion.

But Roanake was ruined by too much structure -- where Hotel was underthought and consequently degenerating into an unfocused sprawling mess, Roanake was overthought in a way that kind of suffocated it.

Oh well.  For me, swing and a miss, but nice try and I totally see how others would really like this season.  I'll still be excited to see what season 7 is offering next year...

Edited by JyDanzig
  • Love 9

Still wondering about the Gaga character.  She was around for Croatoan Kathy Bates and for modern day Matt.  But did we ever see her again?  Is she still lurking in the forest as a succubus?  (Did she make Lee eat the heart, or was it someone else?  I forget.)

Signed,

Confused

• Love 2
12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm sure I'm the only person who really wanted the Spirit Chasers to actually be the Ghost Facers from Supernatural. A solid second place would have been the Ghost Bouncers from Kroll Show.

Not just you. For a minute I thought the guy playing the bearded Spirit Chaser was actually the same actor from Supernatural.

3 hours ago, Aging Goth said:

GHOST ADVENTURES/SPIRIT BUSTERS:  This is exactly what the “investigators” do on these shows.  Usually, they seek permission to film in the haunted places but a few will break into these buildings to get sensational footage.  I always wondered what would happen if any of these “investigators” actually witnessed serious poltergeist activity, what would they really do?  Well, we found out, didn’t we?

Scooby Douche would crack the sound barrier running out of the house if Ghost Adventures ever turned up any real paranormal events. Incidentally, that show convinced me that the Robert the Doll paranormal legends are a bunch of BS, because if anyone could provoke a curse-happy evil doll into taking action on camera...

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2