Type keyword(s) to search

Rick: Lord of the Thangs

• Start Topic

Having a down day? Need a little pick-me up? Maybe some stuff and thangs? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm2CNn3CIU0

Love that. I always thought the "stuff" he gives Hershel at the fence while wandering crazytown was an homage to his earlier stuff and thangs to Lori.

And kikismom, yes! He also pulls up his upper lip a lot (you know what I'm talking about right), when he's about to get serious.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

From the "Crossed" episode thread:

Rick… looks like a homeless man who eats people while screaming about how the CIA is putting mind-control nanobots in our underwear.

I think that when the writers are ready to commit Richonne to the next level, they will telegraph it by showing Rick take some interest in his own attractiveness. 

I don't use this thread very much...frankly, because I don't like the title, but, anyway...

Probably the only truly strong part of the hospital arc for me, beyond some of Emily Kinney's work, is seeing Rick reunited with a police force. They were a mockery of everything he used to be, just as he's now a mockery of everything he used to be. The contrast between ragged, feral Rick, swimming in rage barely contained by a tattered T-shirt, and these jumped-up cops posturing behind their endless armor, was fascinating. Almost instinctively, he was in charge of their fate on multiple levels, far more than Dawn ever was. I like that the show did this, and that, other than a few lines with Bad Bob and Rick, they didn't beat us over the head with it. They let us remember.

I hope they keep up this Rick for a little while longer before we go back to anguished moral debates. 

I'm also glad to see the return of that weird but oddly sexy way he leans on his hip (it's at about 17 seconds here). 

My headcanon is he was taught to do that in some type of church fashion show or something, and as much shit as Shane gave him for it, he still ended up keeping it as a pose when he joined the force.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 4
Well, let's brainstorm some new ones. I'll start:

Rick Grimes: The new world's gonna need him

LOVE this one.

Second pick - "He's Rick Grimes, Bitch!" - I mean, did you see the way that cop looked at him in the alley when he said his name? It was as if he had heard it before, and knew it meant trouble. 

• Love 1

Sorry, but I got a chuckle out of the added "badly" in the title. Whether it's true or not, it was amusing to read. I think Abraham's laying it on thick with his quote. Underlined and everything.

Second pick - "He's Rick Grimes, Bitch!" - I mean, did you see the way that cop looked at him in the alley when he said his name? It was as if he had heard it before, and knew it meant trouble.

LOL yeah, I don't know if the editing was off and the cop was actually reacting to something else or the acting was that bad. That seeming familiarity was odd and unnecessary IMO. Edited by indeed

The contrast between ragged, feral Rick, swimming in rage barely contained by a tattered T-shirt, and these jumped-up cops posturing behind their endless armor, was fascinating.

Yes, I loved that too. We may get used to the appearance of our group, but when we see them contrasted with people who still have some of the comforts of life, are clean, groomed and well-dressed, as in Woodbury and now the hospital, it jars anew at how far they've fallen and how desperate they look.

Rick's "Shut up" after he shot Bob was, for me, very telling, much more than him hacking Gareth to pieces. Had he said nothing, we may have inferred that he felt a moment of regret or remorse of some sort, but now we know he just-does-not-give a fuck at ALL.

• Love 4

Ahhhh, "Rick:Lord of the Things" would be great as well! You guys are killing me. 

I'd definitely like to see the title change, because I've never really thought Rick was a bad leader, but now he's just badass. 

• Love 3

I don't understand Rick not wanting to settle in the hospital or a place like it. I'm not sure how he weighs the relative safety of a hospital with a doctor and living like an unwashed nomad with two kids, one an infant, and decides to roam the woods of Georgia. Little Judith isn't going to be quiet and kids get sick, a lot. A cold can develop into pneumonia fairly quickly when you're living rough outside.

• Love 1

Even Andy Lincoln doesn't understand Rick sometimes:

Let’s talk about that first scene. You’re chasing this cop who’s fleeing, you hit him with your car, break his neck, then shoot him, then tell him to shut up, which seems a bit out of order. Usually you tell somebody to shut up and then you shoot him!

[Laughs] Your reaction is exactly the same reaction I had when I read the script! I went, “Let me just get this right, Scott. I say ‘shut up’ after I’ve shot the dude?” And he went, “Yep.” And I went “Okay. I’m going to find a way to do this.” I guffawed. Sometimes you have moments playing this role where you just go, “Oh, thank you!” Because you know what? The last episode I was furious. I kept saying, “Why don’t I shoot the bald dude?!? Why can’t I shoot him, Scott? Let me shoot him!” I said, “Scott, I want to shoot this guy.” And he goes, “You’re being tethered by Daryl. Daryl’s your emotional anchor. You’re still anchored by people—your friendships and your family.” And I’m like, “Uggggghhhhhh. I still want to kill him, Scott! I mean, the plan was to slit their throats. Help me out here.” And he goes. “No!” So I was quite relieved when I read episode eight, because of course as usual with Scott Gimple he’s always like, “Wait. We are going to get there. Don’t worry about that.” So I read the teaser and I just went, “Oh my lord! It’s beyond badass. It’s ridiculous.”

But the “shut up” thing was really interesting because the way I justified it was when I echo Gareth by saying “Can’t go back, Bob”—I think that part of it was him going “shut up” to Gareth. Because otherwise, really? I’m saying “shut up” after I shot the guy? Which really made me laugh. And to their credit, [writer] Angela [Kang] and Scott were laughing when they told me. They were like, “Yeah, we thought it would be really cool.” And I was like, “That’s not good enough! You’ve got to give me some help here!” So that’s the way I justified it, is that it was to Gareth. It was extraordinary shooting that scene.

• Love 1

Wow, so the writers just thought it would "be cool", even though the actor, who has devoted years to fleshing this character out, found it ridiculous? Interesting. I've often felt, when watching TD, that the writers and actors have very different interpretations of these characters. Not a good thing.

• Love 9

Usually you tell somebody to shut up and then you shoot him!

I actually liked the post-mortem "Shut up" from Rick more than if he had said it while the cop was still alive. To me, that just added one more note to his not giving a fuck and not feeling a shred of remorse for killing a living person.

• Love 8

Wow, so the writers just thought it would "be cool", even though the actor, who has devoted years to fleshing this character out, found it ridiculous? Interesting. I've often felt, when watching TD, that the writers and actors have very different interpretations of these characters. Not a good thing.

I have a feeling they just wanted a comics homage. 

I do think the writers were in the right this time. It wasn't supposed to be logical - it was supposed to show that Rick is a mess and regretted not blowing away the cops when he had the chance. It was also likely some attempt at a watercooler moment, but given that a lot of people seemed to enjoy that scene even when they didn't care for the rest, I can see why the show did it.

• Love 1

Rick Grimes: Lord of the Stuff....and Thangs!

We all saw the visual that kikismom posted. Out of context, no one would ever get this joke.

(Television Without Pity had "Clutterbuck" in one of the thread titles, and it took me years to get the joke. Turns out "Lincoln" is a stage name; the actor was born Andrew Clutterbuck. Who knew? Not me!)

• Love 3

I actually liked the post-mortem "Shut up" from Rick more than if he had said it while the cop was still alive. To me, that just added one more note to his not giving a fuck and not feeling a shred of remorse for killing a living person.

Daryl did something similar in season...2?  Some yappy walker was hissing and growling at him, Daryl puts a bolt through its head and then tells it, "Shut up."  The walkers were a scary threat to everyone else but to badass Daryl they were just an annoying nuisance. 

• Love 2

I agree.  And Gimple said Daryl is Rick's emotional anchor?  I don't believe that at all.  I think that's Carl.  Rick survived losing his wife.  He survived losing his "brother" Shane, as well as other good friends.  He survived thinking he lost his baby.   I think if Rick loses Carl - he's gone.  He will go over the deep end.

• Love 8
I agree.  And Gimple said Daryl is Rick's emotional anchor?  I don't believe that at all.  I think that's Carl.  Rick survived losing his wife.  He survived losing his "brother" Shane, as well as other good friends.  He survived thinking he lost his baby.   I think if Rick loses Carl - he's gone.  He will go over the deep end.

Oh absolutely. I mean, I do think losing Daryl (or Michonne at this point) would gut Rick. But when you have a kid, you keep going. He thought he lost LAK, and he WAS in a really bad place. But Carl was still there (pissy as he was) and Rick eventually had to pull it together for him. They have been through so much together. Carl was there when the Shane thing went down. They were alone on the farm for most of the fall. They both lost Lori, when neither was in a great place with her. They farmed together. They mowed down the fence-busing walkers together. They made the journey from the prison alone, together. Carl may be his son, but in some ways he is stronger than his dad and the one holding HIM together. I really love seeing how their relationship has changed over the course of this show.

• Love 4