Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Episode 10

• Start Topic

Elizabeth tells George that she is carrying his child and George continues to mark his territory by erecting fences around Trenwith, denying commoners passage across his property. Dwight learns of Caroline's new engagement and enlists in the navy. Ross decides he must mend the rift between Caroline and Dwight before it is too late. Ross is called to Trenwith by George, suspicious that the purchase of Geoffrey Charles' share in the mine was fraudulent. Pascoe reveals to Ross that George will seek to bankrupt him through court proceedings. Demelza is assaulted for trespassing on Warleggan land provoking the villagers to march on Trenwith with vengeance in mind - will Ross be able to disband the mob? Elizabeth, meanwhile, is forced to face the possibility that her pregnancy might not, in fact, be the result of her union with George.

I despise George Warleggan. He's such a priggish, foppish twit. Jack Farthing may be an excellent actor, but it must be hard to play such a role. Then there's his minion, Tankard, who truly seems to relish being an evil henchman. 

I guess he gives good wallet, since Elizabeth did look happy to be back in her finery once again.  This will be the finale until Season 3....being stateside, I'll have to wait until 8 pm Sunday to watch.

• Love 5

Not gonna lie--I enjoyed this episode!

-george being evil

-people getting shot (aka demelza)

-George vs Ross where Ross almost sticks George's head in the fire

-an angry mob complete with pitchforks and torches like it was out of Beauty and the Beast. I was screaming "kill the beast!" At the tv

-Ross dressed in black, emerging from the back of the mob on his giant black horse. He looked downright sinister.

-I fully expect Dwight to come back as the mysterious Count of Monte Cristo. Don't agree to deliver any mysterious letters to Napoleon, Dwight! Don't do it! Caroline even had a make-shift ring. The only thing that's missing is Caroline marrying his evil fake best friend to cover up baby drama. Now why does that storyline sound so familiar...

-Elizabeth apparently can't do math? She looked shocked and not in the way like she was caught in a lie? Poor acting?

-why would Demelza go stay with her terrible father, of all people???? Couldn't she stay with Verity instead?

-I was worried Nana Poldark wasn't going to get any lines tonight, but luckily they saved best for (almost) last. Nana knows all, Elizabeth. She knows all.

-things I'm totally here for if it would happen (wishful thinking):

I'd be down for a more sinister Ross if they went that route and embraced his crappy behavior rather than trying to still make us root for him. More of Ross trying to stick people's heads into fire, please.

I'd also be open to seeing Elizabeth embrace her inner evil, if they'd let her. There were signs this episode, I tell yah! She'd probably be more interesting.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

-I was worried Nana Poldark wasn't going to get any lines tonight, but luckily they saved best for (almost) last. Nana knows all, Elizabeth. She knows all.

Aunt Agatha is a treasure. I loved the cut from Elizabeth realizing the baby might be Ross's to the raging Cornwall surf. So deliriously melodramatic.

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Not gonna lie--I enjoyed this episode!

I did too! I had been considering not watching the next season just because I was so bored mid-way through the season, but this episode and the one last week piqued my interest in the way the first season did. 

16 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

More of Ross trying to stick people's heads into fire, please.

Haha I enjoyed that more than is probably healthy. Right before fight scenes and during previews that feature brawls, my relatives and I always joke, "It's not really an episode of Poldark unless Ross is punching someone." We may have to revise that to "It's not really an episode of Poldark unless Ross is trying to cook somebody."

• Love 5

Oh, I love you, Demelza!  First she decks a-hole Ross just when I wanted to & now she tells Liz she hates her -- just like I want to.  You suck, Liz . . . you're really gonna let slimy George send your son away forever?  I so hope Georgie figures out the kid she's having is Ross's.

I liked Ross finally realizing (sheesh, it's about time, dude) he truly loved Demelza & not Liz -- & thereby earning Demelza's love again.  Very sweet.  If he had slunk off to join the army without even telling Demelza?  Man, that would have been the end of Ross (and this show) for me.  I've had quite enough of his a-hole routine this season.  So at least he tried to redeem himself & I was glad to see that.

Isn't it kinda hilarious how Agatha knows EVERYTHING that goes on in that house -- including Ross's & Liz's l'il late nite hookup?

Have no idea if Caroline & Dwight will work as a couple or if they'll now be excruciatingly boring, but it was really super sweet watching them get back together.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Oh, I love you, Demelza!  First she decks a-hole Ross just when I wanted to & now she tells Liz she hates her -- just like I want to.  You suck, Liz . . . you're really gonna let slimy George send your son away forever?  I so hope Georgie figures out the kid she's having is Ross's.

I liked Ross finally realizing (sheesh, it's about time, dude) he truly loved Demelza & not Liz -- & thereby earning Demelza's love again.  Very sweet.  If he had slunk off to join the army without even telling Demelza?  Man, that would have been the end of Ross (and this show) for me.  I've had quite enough of his a-hole routine this season.  So at least he tried to redeem himself & I was glad to see that.

Isn't it kinda hilarious how Agatha knows EVERYTHING that goes on in that house -- including Ross's & Liz's l'il late nite hookup?

Have no idea if Caroline & Dwight will work as a couple or if they'll now be excruciatingly boring, but it was really super sweet watching them get back together.

I think Elizabeth thought that she was "getting back" at Ross by choosing George and that everything was going to be blue skies and whatever for she and her kid, but George has zero interest in the kid, and probably nearly as little real interest in her, except as a way to stick it to Ross. I don't know the books, but I do wonder whether Elizabeth might eventually wise up and decide to team up with George to destroy the Poldarks just to keep her son(s?) safe and to ensure that she maintains her lifestyle?

38 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

I'd also be open to seeing Elizabeth embrace her inner evil, if they'd let her. There were signs this episode, I tell yah! She'd probably be more interesting.

That's what I'm hoping as well.

I was happy to see Ross and Demelza more or less reconcile, even though I am glad she made him crawl a bit first. he deserved that, and, in the modern era, they might even have had a separation and/or divorce. Dwight and Caroline make me happy. I hope they don't go through too much hardship. Aunt Agatha is this series' Violet.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I think Elizabeth thought that she was "getting back" at Ross by choosing George and that everything was going to be blue skies and whatever for she and her kid, but George has zero interest in the kid, and probably nearly as little real interest in her, except as a way to stick it to Ross.

Same here. Life at Trenwith is a rollicking good time these days. 

I think if Elizabeth's baby is a girl, George will show even less interest in them. If it's a boy (and doesn't look too much like Ross, heh), Jeffrey Charles is going to be the neglected stepchild, even if he will inherit Trenwith, not George's son.

• Love 3

I think if Elizabeth's baby is a girl, George will show even less interest in them. 

But if she's a girl, he'll be able to pick out all her outfits. I hope she's born with a hint of a jagged, vertical scar beneath her left outer eye. 

I don't read every post, so I'll just say I'm in agreement with anyone if they've made this observation: when her hair is pulled back and she's wearing that vesty thing with a skirt, Demelza looks like Shrek's Fiona (pre-ogre). 

I hope this is the end of Poldark's bad decisions. He can keep busy enough with his business and warding off George's endless efforts to destroy him. I hope they finally give George a skinny mustache to twirl, he only looks like half a villain without it. His sidekick looks like he's been embalmed. 

• Love 5

After the past few episodes, I was ready to give up on this show, but the finale has hooked me for another go.

Aunt Agatha is just the absolute best. Full stop. Shame there was so little of her, but when she's on screen, it's magic.

I feel for Geoffrey Charles, but that wasn't remotely surprising that George only sees him as a pawn to use to stick it to Ross, get Elizabeth on his side, etc.

Nothing can ever convince me that George isn't in love with Ross and does all these things just to get his attention since he can't be with him. Sure, he's pissed about the class system and how even though he has more money than lots of aristocrats, they'll always see him as "common", his laser-focused obsession on Ross comes off as spurned lover.

Since Verity is a genuinely decent person, I was scared she would die in childbirth. I'm so relieved that didn't happen. Where was her husband?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Popples said:

Since Verity is a genuinely decent person, I was scared she would die in childbirth. I'm so relieved that didn't happen. Where was her husband?

He's a ship's captain, so he'd have been overseas with his ship. I'm not sure if the show has ever gone into details of what Blamey does for a living, but he captains a 'packet' ship - this was originally a vessel employed to carry post office mail packets to and from British embassies, colonies and outposts, and later became a regular, scheduled service, carrying freight and passengers. So his ship runs to a very regular schedule, managed by the company not the captain, and as captain he has to go with it - even if his wife is about to give birth.

• Love 5

George is so insecure in himself that of course he has to remove Geoffrey Charles from the home he now shares with Liz the Priss.  He can't stand any reminder that she was another man's wife before him.  So first goes the portrait of Francis and next his son.  If the new baby looks like Ross living at Trenwith will be truly hell.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Shipper said:

Ross is an overgrown manchild with a short attention span and poor impulse control.  Liz is a dimwit.  And poor Geoffrey-Charles.  

Jeffrey Charles looks and acts like a limp noodle. The deck is already stacked against that one.

Do woman of that time period like Caroline and Elizabeth wear makeup? Because both those actresses have a shit ton of make up on that is rather distracting.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode, mostly the fight with Ross vs. George. i was all about Ross cooking George's head, or at least burning off a good portion of his hair. I do love me a pro-active man! Yes, Ross redeemed himself with me this episode, thank goodness. And when he rode up on that big black horse, pointing his pistol at George, he was all kinds of hot awesome. Nana Poldark rocks; I wonder why George continues to let her live there. Or, live, period. We all know that baby is going to be two months early. Didn't Liz postpone her marriage by that long? And yeah, the kid is going to have jet black hair like dad. I do have to add that the lighting Demelza gets makes her look just like a Vermeer painting. Absolutely gorgeous.

• Love 6

Ok guys, I'm confused -- the finale, called episode 9 by my (NYC) PBS station, aired last night.  But you all are calling it episode 10.  Wikipedia says there are 10 episodes, but the PBS episode says there are only 9 (and I checked next week's schedule -- no Poldark.) As I scroll through the descriptions of the episodes, it seems like the numbering done by PBS is off by one number; I watched "episode 5" last night, but the description and plot points match episode 6, as listed in the thread for it.  Was the first episode PBS aired of season 2 really both episodes 1 and 2? Am I missing an episode?  Am I going insane?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, beadgirl said:

Ok guys, I'm confused -- the finale, called episode 9 by my (NYC) PBS station, aired last night.  But you all are calling it episode 10.  Wikipedia says there are 10 episodes, but the PBS episode says there are only 9 (and I checked next week's schedule -- no Poldark.) As I scroll through the descriptions of the episodes, it seems like the numbering done by PBS is off by one number; I watched "episode 5" last night, but the description and plot points match episode 6, as listed in the thread for it.  Was the first episode PBS aired of season 2 really both episodes 1 and 2? Am I missing an episode?  Am I going insane?

The first PBS episode was BBC episodes 1 and 2 combined.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

George vs Ross where Ross almost sticks George's head in the fire

I laughed at this because seriously, George doesn't look like he can kick anybody's ass, even with boxing lessons.  I laughed when Ross had George's head in the fire because I realized that if his hair did burn, all that hair gel would probably set the house or at least George's head (a la Michael Jackson) on fire.

15 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Elizabeth apparently can't do math? She looked shocked and not in the way like she was caught in a lie? Poor acting?

I think Elizabeth can do math, she's just freaked that Aunt Agatha can do it too.

9 minutes ago, beadgirl said:

The first episode that aired for two hours was originally two episodes, but PBS labeled it as "episode 1."  The probably realized their mistake when they got to the finale, episode 10 and they called it episode 9.  You didn't miss an episode, PBS numbered them wrong.

BTW, I loved this episode and I'm reading the books now too, so there is that.

• Love 7

I love Elizabeth beginning to see what she's gotten herself into and that there's not a thing she can do about it now. But can she really be stupid enough to never have even considered that her baby's father could be Ross? Really?

Demelza is awesome!!!  Girl has guts, that's for sure.  Not just the way she handled getting shot, but then turning around and going to warn George and Elizabeth, who didn't deserve it in the least, that they were in danger, holding back the crowd, and then being willing to walk away from Ross because she deserved better than him?  They don't make many heroines better than that.  

Ross, on the other hand...I was willing to give him a pass because I knew he was in his downward spiral and needed to hit rock bottom before he woke up and realized what he had done and what he stood to lose, but then we come to find out that he decided that night that Elizabeth wasn't the one he really loved, and yet for weeks all he did was justify his actions and tell Demelza that she needed to understand, never once coming out and saying he had screwed up and throwing himself on her mercy.  I would have been okay with it if it had really taken him those weeks to come to that realization, but to know all along and then to make Demelza suffer for his inability to own up to what he had done?  Arrggh...Ross is going to have to do something in season 3 to rectify that because right now I'm not on the "forgive Ross" train at all.  I'm glad that at the end Demelza was tentative with him.  I want to see them work their way back to each other, but not by her falling into his arms and deciding to let bygones be bygones.  

Caroline and Dwight...awwwww!  They did not really get married, right?  Curious what she'll do when he's off to war and she ends up pregnant...

• Love 7

I like "Carolight" as their ship name, ha.  This being a soapy melodrama I am sure their travails are just beginning.  Every time I see Caroline's uncle I mentally go, "Hey, why aren't you in Midsummer solving more bizarre murders?"

I am glad Demelza and Ross sort of reconciled at the end - for her sake, not for his.  I wouldn't have taken him back as present day me.

And how forgiving would the audience be if Ross wasn't played by such a gorgeous and charismatic actor?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

Did rubber bands exist then?  I think it was a string.

No, probably not.  I was just being silly.  String or shoe lace or maybe the first rubber band ever made . . . whatever it was, the gesture was very sweet.

You know, I was thinking maybe we shouldn't get too wrapped up in details being correct for the time -- like the makeup, for instance.  And yet, what made Downton Abbey so exceptional was how the producers paid such close attention to details of manners, appearance & decor.  And they made sure EVERY detail matched the time period historically correct.  Should we expect the same from Poldark?  I say -- why not?

I thought it was interesting that Demelza thought Caroline lent Ross the money because she liked him.  Could that be?  Or did she lend him the money because he is Dwight's good friend?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, magdalene said:

I like "Carolight" as their ship name, ha.  This being a soapy melodrama I am sure their travails are just beginning.  Every time I see Caroline's uncle I mentally go, "Hey, why aren't you in Midsummer solving more bizarre murders?"

I am glad Demelza and Ross sort of reconciled at the end - for her sake, not for his.  I wouldn't have taken him back as present day me.

And how forgiving would the audience be if Ross wasn't played by such a gorgeous and charismatic actor?

I'll bet that Pole is Dark

George is SO.IN.LOVE WITH ROSS!

• Love 2

Caroline's real life pregnancy is really apparent in this episode!  My mother called it earlier in the season - we were recapping after the season premier and she said "Caroline is pregnant, I can tell just by looking at her".  It took me a while to catch on and sure enough, a Google search turned up the confirmation :)

• Love 4

I didn't notice the actress playing Caroline was pregnant.  Well, at least she didn't walk around carrying a potted plant.  Guess she could hide behind a horse or sit down a lot to keep up the historical accuracy.

Gosh, this ep had so many interesting story details. Was there ever any doubt George only married Liz to piss off Ross? George confirmed it when he said to Ross he now had "his ancestral home & the woman he loved, who will bear him a child".  He really should have a moustache to twirl -- for added dramatic effect to his villainry.

Anyone notice how sad & disappointed Liz looked when Ross held his hand out to Demelza & scooped her up onto his horse?  What a sweet AND hot gesture.  Sorry, Liz, you ain't ever gonna get that kinda hot move from foppish Georgie.  Might muss up his carefully arranged 'do.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Caroline's real life pregnancy is really apparent in this episode!  My mother called it earlier in the season - we were recapping after the season premier and she said "Caroline is pregnant, I can tell just by looking at her".  It took me a while to catch on and sure enough, a Google search turned up the confirmation :)

I never noticed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3773715/The-secret-Poldark-pug-New-heiress-character-never-seen-without-beloved-dog-producers-used-pet-hide-real-life-pregnancy.html

• Love 3

Well, I just watched the episode for the third time (I watched on the BBC airing schedule first). 

1. Demelza was very lucky not to have been heartily slapped for her incredibly rude remarks to Ross.  Her nasty bitchy comments would absolutely not have been tolerated then, and I seriously doubt now: I found her very offensive and I wouldn't accept anyone talking to me like that, no matter what the circumstances.  This is very much "Debbie" Demelza and not "Book" Demelza.  And anyway it's ridiculous that she would think she could leave with Jeremy: for one thing, her "born again" father would march her back to her husband the same night!

2.  Caroline/Dwight in the pub was  beyond laughable.  Kissing in public, then going off to his room?  I think not.  She's got enough issues with her Uncle regarding Dwight and in no way would want to introduce a potential unwed pregnancy into that mix.  Sigh.  But I do adore the couple and I think the actors' chemistry is quite good.

3.  The crowd scene at Trenwith.  This seems to be a hangover from the 70s series except then they did burn down the house!   I did enjoy the scene, I have to admit, but it was all make believe (ie not book) And George's bluster both during the confrontation, and especially afterwards to Elizabeth had me chuckling but it was absolutely not George's character to have done any of that. 

4.  Elizabeth's shock at Aunt Agatha's pronouncement about what if the baby comes early I thought was completely genuine, like she (Elizabeth) honestly hadn't even considered the possibility that she was pregnant by Ross until that moment.  She'd put the Ross thing behind her once she'd married George.  Now she's going to have major anxiety for the next 8 months.   In the book, it was never made clear who the father was and Elizabeth I think really didn't know.  We're only talking a month between Ross and marriage to George anyway...

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DHDancer said:

1. Demelza was very lucky not to have been heartily slapped for her incredibly rude remarks to Ross.  Her nasty bitchy comments would absolutely not have been tolerated then, and I seriously doubt now: I found her very offensive and I wouldn't accept anyone talking to me like that, no matter what the circumstances.  This is very much "Debbie" Demelza and not "Book" Demelza.  And anyway it's ridiculous that she would think she could leave with Jeremy: for one thing, her "born again" father would march her back to her husband the same night!

I agree that her father would have told her to go back to Ross, but I don't think Demelza was rude to Ross.  The man cheated on her for goodness sake.  All she wanted was for Ross to be honest with her, to not go off to war to run away, to look her in the eye and say that yes, he did cheat with Elizabeth because he thought she was all that, but now he realizes that it was nothing but a fantasy.  Demelza wanted Ross to say that to her, and when he finally did, it was then that she seemed to accept his apology. 

• Love 8

Yeah, I'd actually consider what Ross did, committing adultery and acting like Demelza needs to be cool with that and with his upending her life and running off to be a soldier was all just something she should nod and say "yes dear" to, to be somewhat more incredibly rude.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, magdalene said:

I didn't notice it either; looking back it does seem she did the vast majority of her scenes sitting down with something blocking her abdomen (the dog, waiting in the carriage for Dwight) or shot from the bust up.

12 hours ago, magdalene said:

The pretty certainly helps me gloss over Ross's more pronounced obnoxiousness. Hee.

I had no idea Gabriella Wilde was pregnant; they did a great job hiding it without looking like they were trying to hide it.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, DHDancer said:

1. Demelza was very lucky not to have been heartily slapped for her incredibly rude remarks to Ross.  Her nasty bitchy comments would absolutely not have been tolerated then, and I seriously doubt now: I found her very offensive and I wouldn't accept anyone talking to me like that, no matter what the circumstances.  This is very much "Debbie" Demelza and not "Book" Demelza.  And anyway it's ridiculous that she would think she could leave with Jeremy: for o

I thought Demelza's behavior towards Ross was not only understandable but quite cheer worthy.  How many would be able to resist from being "bitchy", "nasty" and "offensive" after your partner cheated on you and in such a callous manner?

• Love 6

I'm fond of this version of Dwight and Caroline, they've done a much better job with Dwight this season than last, but I really wish you guys knew the Dwight and Caroline of the 1975 adaptation - even with the more primitive production values and old-fashioned acting styles, they had so much more sparkle to them.

• Love 3

Interestingly, I don't think the actor who plays Ross is "all that." Which makes it harder for me to swoon in his presence. Or forgive him his failures. Because we all know, the best looking fellas can get away with the most, no? I do think Caroline is beautiful, so much more so than Elizabeth. It must have been heck back in the day, for a pregnant woman to get strapped into those whale-bone corsets. Yikes. Elizabeth also appears to be fully on George's side. So, I guess, good on her. But really, she can't see what a lying fop he is? He must be quite handsome in her eyes (see above).

11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yikes. Elizabeth also appears to be fully on George's side. So, I guess, good on her. But really, she can't see what a lying fop he is?

Elizabeth basically married George to spite Ross. I think she had a vague idea of George's general awfulness but is only now getting the full picture. Which makes sense, as it's only now that she's spending enough time with him to see it.

• Love 5

George's awfulness was pretty well known.  Liz kept deluding herself into thinking otherwise.  Frances hated his guts.  George clearly took advantage of him & won their home in a card game.  Ross hates his guts for good reason.  He's tried to get him in prison & take over his mines.  And Agatha has only told her he's the devil 50 billion times.  But has dopey ninny Liz listened?  Nooooo.  Eh, she deserves whatever downfall she gets.

I've mentioned before on earlier threads, while I like Demelza, I think her character seems too contemporary.  The threats of leaving Ross with her son -- and to go back to her wacko father?  Seemed kinda off to me.  Idk, when she questioned him whether there was any marriage left -- I thought, er, huh?  Would ANY wife say this to her husband in 1790?  It wasn't rude, considering his actions.  But it seemed pretty unbelievable & inaccurate for the time.

Caroline & Dwight?  Both are sorta flat to me.  But as secondary characters they're harmless, if unexciting.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

I've mentioned before on earlier threads, while I like Demelza, I think her character seems too contemporary.  The threats of leaving Ross with her son -- and to go back to her wacko father?  Seemed kinda off to me.  Idk, when she questioned him whether there was any marriage left -- I thought, er, huh?  Would ANY wife say this to her husband in 1790?  It wasn't rude, considering his actions.  But it seemed pretty unbelievable & inaccurate for the time.

Exactly.  And I still maintain that a girl (remember she's not that old at this point, despite how old the actress is) raised up out of poverty would NEVER risk everything by speaking so boldly, no matter what Ross had done (and remember he's no different to other men in his class).  It's one thing to think all those words, but quite another to say them, even today I'd argue (but then I was raised in a different era I guess).  Again, people are applying very modern sensibilities and interpretations.  We may think her spunky and he deserved of her anger, but she had no legal or societal legs to stand on.